[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Rules-Light Systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: tmp_30169-pic339497-1822639944.jpg (624 KB, 1381x1746) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30169-pic339497-1822639944.jpg
624 KB, 1381x1746
What are some of your favorite rules-light systems?

Pic related
>>
>>47766920
This gag would work better if I'd ever heard of that game or had any idea what it was
>>
ASL
>>
Dogs in the Vineyard. The base setting is good (Wild West Pseudo-Mormon Inquisition) but the dice mechanics are very easy to adjust for any setting.
>>
>>47766937
To quote one review:
>Playing time with 10 players is listed at 1200 hours.
>>
>>47766937
>>47767433

There's a rule called "The Pasta Rule" where all Italians have to take an additional ration of water or be at penalty, since making pasta requires boiled water.
>>
File: pic309932_lg.jpg (181 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pic309932_lg.jpg
181 KB, 1024x768
>>47766920
The irony here is that CfNA is actually a lighter game than something like ASL, and its complexity is greatly overrated. The problem is in the immense amount of paperwork players have to do to keep track of unit logisitics. Fuel and water consumpution are hugely important and a lot of time is spent keeping track of it. In the full game it would be almost tantamount to actual staff work in a headquarters. This time-intenstive labour gave the game its bad reputation, not the actual difficulty or density of the rules. There were very early computer programs written up simply to crunch the numbers, and an old joke about how "the playtesters have nearly finished!" Its feasible that it could take longer to play than the North African campaign took to fight.

Make no mistake, the game is a monster, but it's not the autistic brain-melting puzzle it's made out to be. It fact it's a concisely written, often humourous ruleset. See for yourself:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/batxjc2ku6bh8ly/Campaign+for+North+Africa.rar

>>47767762

That's actually included as a joke, but wargamers being what they are, it was taken seriously. But as I said the reason it takes so long (as >>47767433 mentions) is in the fact you spend so much time tracking things. That's why the ideal game is played with each side having a C-in-C, sub-commanders for the land, air and naval elements, a logistics guy who just crunches all the numbers, and a referee to help co-ordinate everything. There's the kicker; it's totally playable - but you need about eight friends and a lot of spare time.
>>
>>47768915
Who the hell wants to do all this work for a game that's supposed to be relaxing? I do paperwork at my job all day, this would be an extension of Hell.

I play Risus instead. Or Polyhedral Dungeon.
>>
>>47766920
DUNGEON WORLD! It is the best game you can even think of when people ask for a RPG! Because it is AWESOME! Go to hell any D&D lover, DUNGEON WORLD is the only thing worthy of playing in your useless neckbeard life!
>>
>>47769954

Sometimes when you spend a lot of your life getting good maths, its all you really enjoy anymore.

In a way its like better-work. Because its about content you like, war, instead of tracking ball bearing production, and no one is bothering you about it who can be a pain because they control your money. And you get to do it with your friends who like some of the same things.

>>47770551

mans, no one who actually plays DW is like that, you need to step your game up 2/10 made me reply
>>
>>47770869
>mans, no one who actually plays DW is like that, you need to step your game up 2/10 made me reply
Only on your group, anon. Only on your group... Also, not him.
>>
Donjon
>>
>>47770551

Trolling aside: Dungeon World. Really fun and easy to teach people, especially if they're new to RPGs. And everything the players need to know can be printed on two pages.
>>
I vote for Freeform Universal RPG
It blends great with my ideas for a wargame.

>>47768915
quick question:
has anyone made a comp version of this abomination?
>>
>>47772066
>Says "no trolling"
>Recommend Bear World
Wow.
>>
File: CNA Map A.jpg (3 MB, 5114x3278) Image search: [Google]
CNA Map A.jpg
3 MB, 5114x3278
>>47772455
>has anyone made a comp version of this abomination?
Decision Games are including it in a bunch of SPI classics they're remaking in vidya; as of April it was in development
>>
Barbarians of Lemuria for the Days of High Adventure. I think it's got a nice touch of narrativism without going into storygame territory, and it's fairly easy to bolt on D&D style resource management (which I do occasionally).

It's got some emergent complexity that I think lends it to homebrewing, and the profession/archetypes capture some of what I love about RISUS without being too open ended.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.