[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some traditional gaming "genies" we can never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
What are some traditional gaming "genies" we can never put back in their bottles?
>>
Wot?
>>
>>47759088
Fun.
>>
>>47759088
Stats
>>
>>47759088
d20 base classes that don't have 20 levels.
>>
All the clusterfuck terminology from D&D

>armor class
>saving throw
>ability score
>basic attack bonus
>skill check
>hit point
>character level

jesus christ what a game design nightmare
>>
>>47759106

Why do you want to bottle-up fun?
>>
>>47759088
Magical realm stuff. Someone opened the floodgates, and then a torrent of shit drowned us all.

Shitty pseudo-Tolkien-esque fantasy is another. Though if it weren't that it'd be something else that people made low-effort copies of.

There was a drow thread the other day that mentioned that drow were originally not nearly so edgy, but then Salvatore and whoever wrote fucking chad zak and all that other shit ruined the Realms version of drow.

That's what comes to mind for me.

>>47759096
Mistakes, anon. OP is a faggot who has trouble communicating clearly. Things that, once created, could never be undone. Stains on our hobby that have indelibly made them worse. Et cetera.
>>
>>47759088
Vancian magic
>>
>>47759158
>OP is a faggot who has trouble communicating clearly.

It seems like you've never heard the phrase OP used. As someone who has heard it used in an appropriate context, it's quite clear what OP intended.
>>
>>47759188
I never communicate with people, myself, so I'm probably the real faggot. I had some trouble parsing it, and I'm a disgusting foreign sack of dung, so that's that.
>>
>Not using the proper name
>Arabic: الجن , al-jinn

This constitutes a provocation
>>
The d20 system and OGL.
>>
>>47759320
>not a microaggression

Step up, SJW-sempai.
>>
>>47759173
But Vancian magic kicked casters right in the nuts (as it should) and did a good job of balancing "Cosmic Powah" with running like a little bitch cuz you didn't memorize invisibility twice.
>>
>>47759088
The existence of ERP.
>>
>>47759088
storytelling is a lost art.

hardly anybody does it anymore, and of those who do not many do it well.

The dice, the tombs, they are all about proper storytelling etiquette. If people could sit still for five minutes without fidgeting, maybe we could do without them.
>>
>>47759157
I was trying to be sarcastic.
>>
>>47759088
Alignment. It's entered the general consciousness.
>>
>>47759088
Woman players.
>>
>>47759173
Vancian magic isn't really a widespread concept. It's just D&D that's married to it.

>>47759138
A lot of those are also just D&D abstractions. Ability scores, hit points, and character level have definitely got around and rooted in a lot of places though. More and more, I find that the use of "leveling up" is used laziliy.

>>47759960
This one is definitely a pain. Unlike D&D concepts like Vancian spells, which are stuck to the system and don't leave, and stuff like hit points, which all sorts of games have co-opted, alignment should be D&D only yet somehow is not D&D only. People can't wait to apply D&D's magic morality to every and any facet of media, not just games.
>>
>>47760108
jeesus, how long are you going to beat that fucking drum.
>>
>>47760485
>sjw who doesn't game detected
Look, gaming isn't your space. Leave it to the people whose space it is.
>>
>>47759960
I suppose but I havent played in a game that bothered with alignment for years. Nothing is stopping you from removing that bullshit from your games.
>>
>>47760577
I don't have a space, so I'm taking yours. Nothing more true to the spirit of the game than that.
>>
>>47760013
I'll gonna bite this bait hard and say that the very mentality that outright rejecting everybody who isn't a heterosexual white male is as equally terrible for this hobby as bending over backwards to cater to accommodate to female and minority demographics.

Perhaps MYFAROG is more your style of game, anon.
>>
>>47760649
Sadly it has to be "we are turning this entire space into ours, no you can't have your part of it"
>>
>>47760577
>anybody who disagrees with me is automatically a filthy SJW who doesn't know what they're talking about!

The very term Social Justice Warrior has spun so far out of what it used to mean as to be completely meaningless in this day and age.
>>
>>47761046
>another sjw detected!
You show your colors by entirely ignoring the point and attacking the person over a term that pretty accurately describes your behavior.
>>
File: 1462925140921.jpg (101 KB, 736x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462925140921.jpg
101 KB, 736x1000
>>47759173
We can put it away. WotC has already been eroding it by making everyone in 5e spontaneous casters. 6e will hopefully take us another step away from it.
>>
Cracking jokes during sessions

While I enjoy the jokes and have a good laugh most of the time I also understand shit is disrupting and counterproductive.

Yet I somehow always get caught up in the pun game when it happens
>>
File: 1448517663602.jpg (324 KB, 1053x1070) Image search: [Google]
1448517663602.jpg
324 KB, 1053x1070
>>47761111
>entirely ignoring the point

What point? What argument have you even made here? "Women, Minorities, and "degenerates" (which I assume you're referring to LGBTQWERTY or whatever the acronym is this week) are ruining actively ruining an entire hobby scene? How are they doing this exactly, especially since this hobby is A. Entirely collaborative and has fluid rules that all players and the GM/DM must agree to and may freely discard at their own discretion, and B. They participate in relatively insignificant numbers to begin with. And let's be real - back in the day, (not so much today, but for a while at least) it WASN'T friendly to minorities and women, because it was a major escapist hobby for disenfranchised white males who didn't fit in with mainstream "male" American culture. That is very rapidly beginning to change though, as more women and minorities are becoming involved and interested with the rise of things like video games and general fantasy/sci-fi in pop culture. So what are you suggesting - arbitrarily segregate an entire hobby purely along racial and gender lines to preserve your own "Safe Space" (because that's what it is, whether you admit it or not) in place of opening it up and make it more accessible (and therefore more socially acceptable) to the general public?

I mean, do you NOT dream of a day when you can talk about things like playing 40K or Rogue Trader in public without fear of being judged for being into that "weird roleplaying shit?" The harder you fight accessibility, the harsher this hobby will be judged, turning away good individuals with much to contribute to the hobby because they don't want to be associated with hate (which is what you're espousing right now, dude).

It's entirely possible to make things more accessible without reducing the quality of the product, especially in such a discretionary hobby as ours.

Unless, of course, the very IDEA of non-white-males participating is offensive to you.
>>
>>47761272
Cracking jokes at the table is fine. It's when everything out of your mouth is a half-baked attempt at humor or a meme, Eric. Shut the fuck up and roll your initiative already, Eric. "All your base are belong to us!" was funny sixteen years ago, Eric!
>>
>>47761272
>I somehow always get caught up in the pun game when it happens

Maybe that's because puns are fun.
>>
>>47761284
I'm sorry but I doubt anyone is going to read that and the length of the response just demonstrates how badly he rustled your jimmies.
>>
>>47761396
>>makes well-worded argument and raises good points about the nature of our hobby
>>"2 long, u rustled"

throw yourself in a woodchipper, dick-first
>>
>>47759088
Secret doors
>>
>>47759088
Posting Christina Aguilera in a genie thread!

#usoldfags
>>
>>47761487
I just call em' how I see em'.
>>
>>47759157
To appeal to /tg/.
/tg/ does not like fun.

Suggest to /tg/ that you play a number crunching character optimising dungeon crawler,
where naming your moves after memes and spouting the meme as you do the move grants you +4 to hit (or +2 to damage),
and you play as Gorean conan the barbarian types, smashing the evil matriarchy of the SJW collective summoned by the lich Hillary Clinton, in order to rescue hot chicks and de-brainwash them with thorough application of the dick,

and /tg/ would be like "roleplaying shit meme shit politics shit fetish shit I hate fun"
>>
File: 1194840782369.jpg (20 KB, 255x288) Image search: [Google]
1194840782369.jpg
20 KB, 255x288
Phones at the table.
>>
>>47761733
The first sounds extremely retarded and would get old if used past a one-shot.

The second would be hilarious in a game were the tongue is firmly planted in cheek. It would be like playing Macho Women with Guns with a bunch of feminists, which I highly recommend, the group I ran it for had a ball.
>>
>>47761022
Why can't we just play some "Big Heroic Good Guys eugenics + intrusive mind-affecting abilities up a Master Race, and proceed to genocide the rest of the world so that the Master Race can then usher the world into a new age of prosperity" without getting /pol/ and twitch.tv in on the action?
>>
>>47761707
what are you some kind of whale biologist?
>>
>>47761284
>I mean, do you NOT dream of a day when you can talk about things like playing 40K or Rogue Trader in public without fear of being judged for being into that "weird roleplaying shit?" The harder you fight accessibility, the harsher this hobby will be judged, turning away good individuals with much to contribute to the hobby because they don't want to be associated with hate (which is what you're espousing right now, dude).
You do realize the way to get mainstream is by actually kicking all of the feminists, gay rights activists, and etc. out, right?
>>
>>47761834
Jokes on you, this entire thread was a dog whistle for /pol/ types to weigh in, it's how they infiltrate crossboards and sow conflict by hosting innocuous "complaining" threads.
>>
File: 1465599679914.jpg (93 KB, 620x772) Image search: [Google]
1465599679914.jpg
93 KB, 620x772
>>47761897
>>
>>47761897
Well fuck them.
Fuck /pol/.
I want to play a heroic campaign where what the normies consider "unethical" and "immoral" is embodied by the players, who are going to clear the world and create their OWN world! With their OWN morals and ethics! and so the players usher in a new age of peace and prosperity and happiness by overcoming those dumbass normies' short-sighted limitations on what they consider "acceptable".
>>
File: walk.jpg (39 KB, 600x419) Image search: [Google]
walk.jpg
39 KB, 600x419
>>47761836
MAN THE HARPOONS
>>
>>47759088
Skills. They were the beginning of "you are only what is on your character sheet" mentality.
>>
>>47761341
>Eric
This genie needs to go back in the bottle. Two of the biggest spergs I've ever met were both named Eric. If the fact they both acted practically the same wasn't bad enough, that they were both tall, overweight, and had oily red hair has only made me paranoid that there's some sort of breeding pool down in the sewers.
>>
The march of technology, like video games. For better or worse, the ''competition'' for pretending-to-be-an-elf time means that the general environment for traditional games is completely different from what it used to be, and it will never go back.
>>
>>47762804
This.

Fuck 3e. 3e ruined any hope of D&D growing into something good.
>>
D&D-wise, narrow character classes. Barbarian and monk are just fighters with different fighting styles.
>>
>>47761733
Thats because both of those don't sound like fun to a majority of people. They sound retarded.
>>
>>47761284
Oh look, an SJW who literally vomits hypocrisy. I love your putting safe space in quotation marks as if the acceptance and use of your ideology against you somehow discredits it.

Yes, white spaces have every right to exclude micro-agressive behavior that is inherent to the world view of SJWs. Being called on every single fake gender and behavior which doesn't match your worldview is exhausting and, more importantly, pointless. The right to self-moderate triggers belongs to every individual, filthy anon, not just to snowflake people.

There, I explained it to you in your own language. Do you understand now?
>>
File: 1463768192298.png (515 KB, 680x371) Image search: [Google]
1463768192298.png
515 KB, 680x371
>>47764758
>have a Barbarian class in your game
>nobody can get upset unless they are a wild savage
>have monks in your game
>if you want to be a cool martial artist you have to have some ki bullshit
FUCK
>>
File: [sickened, but curious].jpg (70 KB, 562x530) Image search: [Google]
[sickened, but curious].jpg
70 KB, 562x530
>>47764914
>Not actively being racist against anybody who isn't me means you're an SJW!

Anon pls
>>
>>47765199
oh no, another scary edgelord
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 480x360
1) Dragonborn and Tieflings: dragons and demons are supposed to be entities that you fear and heard in stories of legend, not Characters that hang out in the tavern like everybody else.

2) 3-18 stat blocks

3) Levels
>>
>>47762804
>you are only what is on your character sheet
As opposed to "personally perform any action you want you character to do"?
>>
>>47765242

I'm not, and that's the thing. A long time ago, shit like that would not be possible. But increasingly, it is. It could be done.

At any rate, I think that making tabletop gaming more accessible is a bad idea. Something special is lost, when you throw open the doors and let the unwashed masses on.

I also hate how pro-diversity messages are being crammed down our throats. I wouldn't complain if they had their own properties (Like Blue Rose), but they're encroaching on our shit! This is a creeping rot that should never have been given a inch, but we were weak and stupid and (worse of all) tolerant.

Being tolerant is an act of slow suicide.
>>
>>47760108

Every day, I pray that a terrorist's bullets will somehow find her and those she loves.
>>
>>47765513
Keep /pol/ in /pol/
>>
>>47765691

This is what feeds this shit. You cannot limit options to "pro-diversity only" and label everything else /pol/. That just polarizes people even more. It's like when they tried to label everyone who hated F4tanstic a racist.
>>
Men and women should be statistically equal.
>>
>>47765301
I tried a Tiefling.

The experience is basically "Cast Disguise Self all the time".

So you end up playing a really shit Half-Elf.

And never EVER be either of those races if someone is a "Paladin". I say "Paladin", A.K.A. "I must kill everything god totally told me is bad"

You do get Hellish Rebuke. Which does fuck-all at later levels, but is free.
>>
>>47765360
>Give an awesome speech
>"Roll persuasion"
>Know an item is magic
>"Roll Arcana"
>Need to investigate an obviously suspicious and plot-advancing area
>"Roll Investigation"
FUCK.
>>
>>47765777

I honestly wish that Paladins could be played more as zealots and heretic-slayers than Bioware Paragon protagonists.

A GM let me play a racist, elitist Paladin who was a tremendously smug asshole - Yet he died sacrificing himself to save millions. It was enormous fun, given the way he spoke down to peasants, turned his nose up at his 'lessers' and refused to take prisoners (i.e. only offering surrender ONCE, at the start of combat) and fiercely enforcing Old Testament penalties.

He made it through the whole campaign without a single flicker of doubt, and it was amazing.
>>
>>47765855
That I would be comfortable with. If they didn't suddenly turn on a dime when you enter the room, and doled out the smiting to all who they looked down on.

Like, "All demons are bad" would be better than "fuck you in particular".

They just knew a lot about my character o.o.c., so they were constantly watching for me to fuck up.

I suppose they *could* have justified that as healthy suspicion, but this person was not smart enough to come up with something like that.
>>
>>47765727
You won't convince these people mate.

Just look on the bright side. What happened in Orlando is going to keep happening. You can't take faggots, dykes, Muslims Spics and Niggers and put them in the same area and not see murders. Avoid those areas and let the blood bath begin, just make sure you and yours are able to defend yourself and have supplies you need to survive for at least 6 months.

The radicalisation of normal people is happening because the left is so extreme that it's trying to get us killed by zealots. It's just a matter of time before Hitler 2.0 appears to sort them and theirs out.
>>
>>47759088
3.5/pathfinder
>>
>>47765914

Yeah, it's the contrast. He looked down on peasants and was patronizing to them, but he would give his last rations to a starving child. Similarly, he would rebuke a mob, fend them off to stop them from lynching a peddler of false cures during a plague...Then he would cut the man's hand off, as the legal punishment was amputation.

It's a very nuanced portrayal, and you don't have to be saintly all the time. You can defend, say, gnomes from racism...Then tell them "These are wholesome lands. Human lands, not for your kind. I suggest you move on."
>>
>>47761284
Nice pasta

>>47760108
This is very true: you need to pander to the people that actually play and purchase your games. Look at all this idiocy that Nintendo is doing with censoring their own games.

>>47761487
here's your (you)

>>47761733
>implying the perfect /tg/ character isn't lawful good 3.PF paladin that smites with his dick as a favored weapon.

>>47762804
A lot depends on the GM though, some will allow OOC knowledge, some won't. The biggest issue was with skill monkeys vs not skill monkeys, MAD, etc.

>>47765855
This should be more what pallys are like, but I blame DM magical realms, hurr sophie's choice paladin falls bullshit, etc.

A paladin should have an attitude; they're a highly trained and initiated warrior of the clergy, not a missionary.

>>47765916
To quote Mark Steyn, "You have to pick and choose which squares you want on your diversity quilt".

It's the same fallacy as "I'm friends with Bob and Tom, so Bob and Tom should surely be friends with each other". Definitely not the case when one demographic thinks that murdering the other is an "act of compassion".
>>
>>47759320
The streets will run red with the blood of the Islamic faithful.
>>
>>47765824
>"If you can't speak like JFK, your character will fail his Oratory attempt"
>"Your character can't defeat that swordsman because you're physically weak IRL"
>"Leap that wall, if you're so great."

You could just say skill checks with narrative and RP bonus are superior
>>
>>47766036
I pick zero diversity because I'm informed on multiculturalism and how incredibly destructive it is to a community. I want a space for me and people like me, you can have a space for you and people like you, but leave my shit alone.

The only reason any one would let in alien cultures in the way we do is if they had no love of their own culture and people. Any society like that is doomed already so hey.. guess we're fucked!
>>
I want /pol/ to leave.
>>
>>47762853
Whoa, I've known an Eric that almost fits the description of the Erics you've known. Maybe the name is indeed cursed.
>>
>>47765916

The one thing I don't understand is why the Left defends gays AND Muslims. Islam hates homosexuals! You're trying to support Nazis AND Jews at once!

It's like they embrace everything that's self-destructive.
>>
File: 1446691290775.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1446691290775.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>>47765513
>Being tolerant is an act of slow suicide.
>>
>>47766291

You can't deny history. How did tolerance work for native populations when the Westerners rolled in? Only Japan understood the need for cultural purity.
>>
>>47766396

There's a difference between 'tolerance' and 'not repulsing a geopolitical power's invasion of your sovereignty.'
>>
>>47765972
I miss how you could be that guy in ME1. I didn't want any filthy xenos on my team at all if possible, mostly because we couldn't trust them.

ME2 should have had the option to push Human supremacy HARD since we were the biggest fleet afterwards, and had all the seats on the senate.

Instead I got "You thought you could escape Liara? YOU THOUGHT WRONG."

I intentionally killed Tali, Morinth and Garrus in the end just to have one less Xenos infecting 3.
>>
>>47766287
They're both "others". Read The victim's revolution for an idea of how it works. But tl;dr if you're not normal then you're on "their side".

>>47766420
>Illegal to be gay
>Looked down on to be gay
>Legal to be gay
>Gay marriage
>"Well we're done with the gays, need a new horse to ride"
>Poly
>Transexuals
>Pedophiles
>Bestiality

Can we just not tolerate homosexuality and prevent the slippery slope? This is why you don't tolerate stuff, you stand firm on what is healthy and you don't back down and you don't give an inch. Meet any attempt to corrupt things with as much hostility as you can bring and violence if needed.

Hey you Janitor fuck who blocked me. We're discussing social justice in /tg/ shit you retarded cuckcold. I know you're a redditor and only got the position from blowing Moot's shriveled up cock and letting the slanty eyed one eat sushi off your asshole, but try to read a thread before you get upset by someone saying nigger. You can go back to your safe space on Reddit and tell everyone how evil and bigoted we all are, it'll keep you busy and stop you fucking up image boards.
>>
>>47766523

>Pedophiles
>Bestiality

And here is where the ride stops because of a little thing called consent.
>>
>>47766564
They have destroyed the concept of consent. They want to make it so you can retroactively withdraw consent even days later etc.

The ride never ends, they will always find something else to use as a club against healthy families. So you just say no to all of it.
>>
>>47765199
>At this point, I think I've become LESS tolerant and more hateful thanks to faggots like you.

Nah man, being unable to tolerate people who are different from you is pretty much your own fault, and yours alone.

How do you even function in the real world, anon?
>>
>>47766396
>How did tolerance work for native populations when the Westerners rolled in?

If you knew literally anything about Native history you'd know that their "tolerance" was "oh shit we can't actually wipe these people out, and they've got some good shit they're willing to trade with us like steel tools and firearms. Better keep them around in small numbers."

Their error was in that they assumed constant harassment raids would be enough to deter further expansion. It was not.
>>
File: 169043301347b4fab8b0694.gif (608 KB, 150x113) Image search: [Google]
169043301347b4fab8b0694.gif
608 KB, 150x113
>>47766593
>They have destroyed the concept of consent.
>>
File: 531awx.gif (3 MB, 599x333) Image search: [Google]
531awx.gif
3 MB, 599x333
>>47766754

Good to know not everyone slept through history class, cheers
>>
>>47766830
Given the level of salt in this thread, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or sincere lol
>>
>>47766849
On a list of "what's wrong with this thread" I think we can safely check-off the "Everything" box and abandon it.
>>
>>47766849

100% sincere considering >>47766396 this genius
>>
>>47766593

"I don't want to have sex with you, so you shouldn't" seems pretty fucking cut and dry and functional to me
>>
>>47766911
He's talking about the people that wanted to have sex but ended up regretting it afterwards, then claimed that they didn't want to have sex at the time.

It's somehow managing to not be cut and dry.
>>
>>47766735

Very well. My Church group participated in a bake sale to raise funds for an anti-homosexual protest, and we got a book about gay penguins pulled from the library. We also prevented a mosque from being built. Why, what have you accomplished?
>>
>>47766999
>Getting books pulled, for any reason
You are scum for that. All books, from Twilight to Don Quixote to the infinite smut books to the ramblings of a schizophrenic madman, are to be respected.
>>
>>47766564
Funny cause Canada just made bestiality legal. But go ahead and keep screaming the slippery slope doesn't exist while Canadians are sucking dog cock and we're arguing about bathrooms.
>>
>>47766987

As a campus legal assistant during my internship, I am proud to say I have talked three girls out of reporting 'rape' i.e. Sex they regretted.

They always crumble when I mention the police and calling their parents.
>>
>>47767026
Wait, how recently are we talking? I thought they would have had it legalized ever since that award-wining book about the bear and woman getting it off together.
>>
>>47767065
Just last week if I remember right.
>>
>>47767026
I heard about this but it doesn't make sense.
No one would specifically legalize bestiality, was it an unintended consequence another law change?
>>
>>47767093
I just read up about it, and apparently it's limited to anything not involving penetration. One example of a legal sex act I pulled from an article was putting peanut butter on your balls and having the dog lick it. Not sure if it means that the animal can't penetrate the human either or what.
>>
>>47767105
Also looked it up.
Feels a bit misleading to say it was "legalized", the supreme court ruled that it didn't qualify for the bestiality crime without penetration.
>>
>>47766564
http://www.salon.com/2015/09/21/im_a_pedophile_but_not_a_monster/

The ride never ever ends
>>
>>47767026

Hey hoser don't make up shit
>>
>>47767175
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bestiality-legal-canada-supreme-court-a7073196.html
>>
>>47767036
That's a dark thing to be proud of.
>>
>>47767209
>it's dark to be proud of talking girls out of ruining guys' lives because they regretted fucking them consensually
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>47766036
>This is very true: you need to pander to the people that actually play and purchase your games. Look at all this idiocy that Nintendo is doing with censoring their own games.

Nintendo's main customer base is families. They have every interest in playing to what society wants.
>>
>>47767199

Cool now find a Canadian site eh and not some trash clickbait from the uk
>>
>>47767175
He's not. Google CBC bestiality ruling, it's the top hit.
>>
>>47767199

That's not 'Made it legal'. That's 'The law already HAD it be legal because it's not well defined'.

The courts can't make up laws, they can only enforce those which exist.
>>
RIP this thread
MODS MODS MODS
>>
>>47767225
Motherfucker you have no clue whether or not they were actually raped! That's what police and courts are for! You're just some shithead with a God-Complex who very well may have just proven to these girls that the world IS biased against rape victims, just like all those spooky scary SJW's have been telling them.

Congratulations, you literally may be an accomplice to rape.
>>
>>47767209

Nothing remotely dark about it. They usually told me, straight-up; "I slept with another guy, and now my boyfriend hates me/I'm breaking up with my boyfriend. Can I say that he raped me?"

I always tell them - "That's very serious. On campus, we usually don't handle criminal issues. But I'll call the police to file a report, right now, as soon as you tell me everything, Miss.

By the way, have you taken time off from your studies? You're likely to miss a lot of classes when the process starts. Will you be more comfortable withdrawing? No, not from the semester - from the University.

Also, you must be badly distraught. Would you like me to call your parents? It's essential that we inform them. Wait, where are you going?"
>>
>>47767288
You still sound like a judgemental creepazoid
>>
>>47767320

I'm a lawyer. If I don't get the facts right, if I don't cover the bases, what am I supposed to do? The whole point of an interview is to leave no room for misunderstandings.

I never stop anyone from actually reporting. I simply tell them what it will involve, and now difficult and traumatic the process is. This is all true: none of it is exaggerated.

What, do you want me to lie instead? Praise her for her courage and kiss her boo-boos?
>>
>>47766122
"I attempt to motivate them, focusing on the horrible crimes of the elven oppressors."
"I swing a wide, low blow to surpass his defenses and trip him."
"I seek to scale the wall of the castle, using the many decoratives you describes earlier to my advantage."

Now everyone actualy gets an idea of what your character is doing. It makes the experience of everyone better.
>>
File: john john.png (29 KB, 243x248) Image search: [Google]
john john.png
29 KB, 243x248
>>47767225
>>
>>47761194

except they threw it out for 4e and the community chucked a huge shitfit.
>>
File: 1461691467438.gif (480 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
1461691467438.gif
480 KB, 493x342
>>47760108
>>47765681
>>47764914
>>47765199
>>47765916
>>47766036
>>47766156
>>47766523
>>47766999
>>
>>47759960
Holy fuck, why do people bother with alignment?

It is literally just newbie player training wheels. It's a way to guide them on how their character should act and behave for someone completely new to paladins and monks and shit. If you don't like it, ignore it! You're an experienced enough roleplayer you don't really need that, you just gotta get your GM's okay.

Alignments are not walls, they are flimsy little cloth cages that you put babies in.
>>
>>47761272
I know that frustrating feeling. I love jokes, I love puns, and I love making them. But every time it goes from a few jokes to lighten the mood to an entire conversation, a game that should be moving a lot faster slows to a crawl.

You want to talk? Talk after the session. We hang out afterwards anyway. You don't need to talk about this random thing right now just because you haven't been told to roll something for half a minute.
>>
>>47759320
What are you smoking anon, "al-" just mean "the", so al-jinn means "the jinn".
>>
File: UnculturedSwine.jpg (35 KB, 242x232) Image search: [Google]
UnculturedSwine.jpg
35 KB, 242x232
>>47761284
>I mean, do you NOT dream of a day when you can talk about things like playing 40K or Rogue Trader in public without fear of being judged for being into that "weird roleplaying shit?".

Fuck no. Gross. How the hell else am I supposed to tell who I don't like unless they give me a blank stare when I talk about my hobbies?
>>
>>47768140
As joking as this is, there's some truth in here: not everyone is going to be able to appreciate my hobbies the same way I do, and that's okay. Some things just aren't accessible to everyone and shouldn't be.

If somebody comes in, claiming to like modern Chinese history just like me, but it turns out they're a different sort of person than me and treat and look at it differently, that's going to be a problem. When most RPGs require at least two other people, if not more, in a /tg/ context this sort of difference is far more problematic. It's a very social hobby, and you want to make sure you get along with everyone in your group...but when the people who might be in your group might be more varied, you can't possibly accommodate for everyone. Sometimes a mold is better for the larger whole.

I would much rather be looked at blankly and even made fun of for my hobbies and interests. I don't want my personal things to continually bleed over to real life, because suddenly I'm not cultivating relationships with other people, but relationships with things that vaguely connect me to other people, you know?
>>
>>47768277
There's also the matter that we like the things we like because it appeals to us in a specific way.

Making any sort of media with a broader audience in mind would imply it leaving those singular, rich details in favor of things that are known to appeal to everyone in general. So suddenly the dwarves in The Hobbit movie don't sing anymore, and suddenly there's this really cliche romance plot on the side, because everyone understands and can easily relate to love.

For me at least, it's less about "dumbing it down" (making shit easier, removing mechanics, etc.) and more about playing it too safe with its overall narrative. When developers don't dare, for instance, to make their players face the harsh reality of racism, sexism and/or rape in whatever era they make their setting in, opting to make fictional organizations inclusive and ever righteous, they cease to appeal to me in favor of "everyone else". Good for sales, bad for overall rep.
>>
Green-skinned orcs.
The porcine ones are unheard of, now.

Also monsters that can be reasoned with.
>>
>>47767408
Thanks for backing my post Part about tripping enemy with wide swing and breaking his guard doesn't make much sense in real combat but at least you tried, you get +2
>>
>>47759088
>What are some traditional gaming "genies" we can never put back in their bottles?

D&D

It's too retarded to live but too big to die.
It's always going to be this huge anchor around the neck of the community that drag people down to console-wars level of retardation and teach people that pen and paper role-playing is like World of Warcraft without graphics.
>>
>>47759088
>>
File: online_communities.png (779 KB, 1024x968) Image search: [Google]
online_communities.png
779 KB, 1024x968
>>47760649
Now I want to run a internet-themed hexcrawl. The party has to sneak into areas and map them, finding all the weak points and positions of strength. Then they need to go after mods, converting them and using them to remove the most troublesome elements of the community, while also playing the media well to either kill the site outright or (better option) convert it to their own outpost, where it can be used as a staging ground for further expansion.
>>
>>47762853
>>47766251
I know an Eric who is fine. The man is allergic to the easy solution, which is frustrating as a GM when the party just needs to kill some orcs and not debate Sartre with them, but he RPs well and never half-asses his convoluted plots.
>>
>>47759173
I happen to like Vancian magic, thematically and mechanically.
>>
>>47759088
Point systems for balance
>>
>>47765855
>>47766036
I wish, O I do fucking wish, paladins were played as noble knights instead of "SLAY LE HERESY" zealots.
>>
>>47765727

Regardless of whenever or not it feeds it, I think you missed the point.

A lot of us come to /tg/ to play games. Some of us have an interest in politics, others do not. /tg/ would gladly make a discussion talking about politics in a fantasy world, but since a lot of people use this medium for escapism, a lot of us don't want to fucking see this shit on /tg/ and if you want to talk actual politics, /pol/ is over there.
>>
>>47766291
>implying it's not
The last virtues of a dyingood nation are tolerance and apathy.
>>
>>47767281
If it wasn't rape, it wasn't rape.
If the girl just regretted ducking Chad thundercock, it isn't rape.
Neck yourself.
>>
>>47773765
>If it wasn't rape, it wasn't rape.
>If the girl just regretted ducking Chad thundercock, it isn't rape.

That's what cops and judges are professionally trained to decide. Anon here, however, is neither, and simply made his own calls based on his own agenda, and abused what little it of power he had in the process.

That wasn't his call to make, true or untrue.
>>
>>47768387
The one point where I disagree with you is the harsh reality of racism, sexism and/or rape. It's not that I think a universe isn't better for sometimes forcing the players to come to terms with those ugly truths, but that I feel like game systems don't portray that in a particularly realistic or even interesting way. People just roll their eyes at half-elfs not fitting in, tieflings being shunned, and elves and dwarves being at each other's throats yet again.

I'm not really saying cutting all those out is any better, but even just assuming the GM isn't going to try and bury what the game sets up is really up in the air. Such topics could get in the way of an otherwise noblebright adventure. Hopefully the GM wouldn't try to force transgender stuff or other things not present in the setting, but that's another beast entirely.
>>
>>47767320
>oh no, someone doesn't belive everything some girl says and is letting her know the gravity of the situation

>>47773985
As far as I can tell, he didn't make a call. He told the cheating wore what her decision would involve, and if she wanted to go through with it.
Nobody deserves special treatment because if what they have under their pants, positively or negatively.
>>
>>47774020
>People just roll their eyes at half-elfs not fitting in, tieflings being shunned, and elves and dwarves being at each other's throats yet again.

Maybe in your group. I know plenty of players who could handle a basic theme like 'racism' and actually roleplay. Sure, it's not noblebright, but if you're playing a that kind of game you're not going to be dealing with weighty grey issues like that at all, and the vast majority of games are not noblebright.
>>
>this entire thread
Making homosexuality not a mental illness was a mistake.
>>
File: Don't Shitpost.jpg (34 KB, 460x297) Image search: [Google]
Don't Shitpost.jpg
34 KB, 460x297
>>47774043
Yes, I'm sure that the girls really told anon
>>47767288
>"I slept with another guy, and now my boyfriend hates me/I'm breaking up with my boyfriend. Can I say that he raped me?"

That's definitely exactly how it happened, and not an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Just like how I really believe that anon's a lawyer, and that this has happened with multiple girls.

And even if it did happen exactly as described, he did still make a call. When someone comes to you to report a crime, the response that a person in that position -a campus legal assistant, employed by the university to help provide legal aid to students- is required to give is, "OK, let me get in touch with the police and help you report it." It's not, "OK, let's get in touch with the police, but first let me tell you all about how reporting this is going to totally ruin your academic career, and also let me remind you about how this is going to impact your personal relationships with your parents." (and it is 'not essential' that they be informed, that is entirely the purview of the alleged victim, solely excepting cases where the victim is underage)

Intimidating people into not approaching the police about a potential crime is itself a crime. Anon's job is not to lay this out with that spin, it's to follow the stated wishes of his client.
>>
>>47765513
Anon be truthful, are you planning a mass shooting?
>>
>>47774451
What's he going to do, bring an AR to a LARP? Crash a One Shot Podcast taping and make James D'Amato read his manifesto on air?
>>
>>47774213
>intimidating
Holy fuck, you're delusional. If you actually think that every girl who comes up with a "rape allegation" was actually raped, in college especially, you're fucking delusional.
Anon did a good thing; he prevented some girl from possibly bringing a whole bunch of bullshit on herself, as well as preventing some young man's life being ruined by a split-second rape allegation.

He'd be even more in the right if there were legal recourse for false or fraudulent rape accusations in general, and in that case would be saving the girl from possibly being a criminal.
>>
>>47774518
Jesus fucking christ, you are one dense motherfucker, ain'tcha?
>>
>>47761194
How are martial classes in 5e "spontaneous casters"?
>>
>>47774544
And you're a vag-worshipping numale faggot.

The fact that people's lives can be ruined by simple allegations, not even guilt, if rape cases go to court is more than enough reason to try a nip them in the bud before they even go that far.

This isn't like suing McDicks because your coffee was too hot, this is something serious and should thus be treated as such.
>>
>>47773985
>cops are professionally trained to decide what is and isn't rape.

Holy fuck are you ignorant.
>>
>>47774573
>I'm literally incapable of reading
>>
>>47774573

>This isn't like suing McDicks because your coffee was too hot,

You know in that case the woman got Third Degree Burns. This isn't 'I got slightly scalded'. It was 'Your coffee was so hot I needed skin grafts and two years of medical treatment'

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants, it's much less of a joke case than people make it out to be.
>>
>>47774648
>I'm literally incapable of critical thought

Anon, I support the police and authority too, but they're not infallible.
A rape accusation is a very, very serious thing, (and would be even more so if women were held accountable and punished for false accusations), and so the full gravity of what such an accusation entails must be made -EXCEEDINGLY- clear to the accuser before it is taken to the police. Anything less is simply training college chicks with a lack of perspective to cry rape every time they feel bad about being a whore.
>>
>>47774649
I know that, no fucking shit, I'm talking about where people actually do threaten legal action over trivial shit like "my coffee was too hot" or "a cashier was rude to me"
You're probably not American, but that's actually an issue here; everyone is so fucking sue happy.
>>
>>47774697

>(and would be even more so if women were held accountable and punished for false accusations),

How would you define 'False accusation'. Every case that doesn't result in a guilty verdict? As that's kinda throwing 'Reasonable Doubt' out of the window.
>>
>>47774763
Pretty much, yeah! Rape is rape, there's not much to discuss about whether it was rape or not.

If the man wasn't found guilty of rape, and it is in fact found that they did have normal, consensual sex, or even that the man had no contact whatsoever with the woman, then he ought to have a legal avenue to press charges against her for that specifically.

Like I said, rape accusations can (and do) ruin the lives of those accused's lives, even if they are found innocent. The fact that the accuser faces no probably repercussion for crying wolf is unjust in the extreme.
>>
Cool traditional games discussion
>>
>>47774830
>Pretty much, yeah!

That basically kills the ability to actually press charges FOR rape as it means that you can be charged if they are found innocent due to either insufficient evidence or simply a very good lawyer.

That and 'Lying in court' is already a crime. People get charged for it.
>>
>>47774871
>That and 'Lying in court' is already a crime. People get charged for it.

It doesn't even need to go to court for an accusation to ruin someone; simply accusing someone and then retracting that accusation later because you don't want to go to court or "oh deary me I misremembered some things :^)" should be enough to press charges.
>>
Delete this
>>
>>47774906

>It doesn't even need to go to court for an accusation to ruin someone; simply accusing someone and then retracting that accusation later because you don't want to go to court

Wait...so if someone makes the accusation then gets talked into retracting it because it will ruin their life to get involved in a legal battle...they should be charged?

Heck, how would you PROVE the false rape charge without needing to disprove a rape? In which case you are back to the initial case.
>>
>>47768598
Hey now. I still use porcine orcs at least. I disagree about monsters that can be reasoned with, though. Trying to work out the bizarre thought process of a sphinx or a genie and try to use that to your advantage before it tries to murder you can be just as fun if not more so than a straight fight
>>
>>47774906

Should that apply to every other crime too? If you report a robbery and turn out to be mistaken should you go to jail?
>>
>>47774934
>Wait...so if someone makes the accusation then gets talked into retracting it because it will ruin their life to get involved in a legal battle...they should be charged?
Are you being daft, or what? The same way being charged for lying in court is handled, or any other similar case.

>>47774956
Are all crimes equal? Does mistakenly thinking someone a robber and calling their police ruin their lives so often and consistently as a false rape accusation?
>>
>>47775014

>Are you being daft, or what? The same way being charged for lying in court is handled, or any other similar case.

Ok, how do you propose to prove it? Innocent until proven guilty is the core of our legal system. You need to prove that they lied about a rape and it wasn't a case of a mistake.
>>
>>47775014

>So often

The false reporting rate is roughly 2% and in very single instance I can see in this study, the Victorian Police charged them with filing a false police report.
>>
>>47769665

Sounds like an all decker party in Shadowrun. I like this idea anon.
>>
>>47775044
>Ok, how do you propose to prove it?
The same way anyone is proven to be lying?

>You need to prove that they lied about a rape and it wasn't a case of a mistake.
There's no possible way to mistake whether it was rape or not; there's no sliding scale of "rapeness", it either is or is not.
Fucking someone and feeling regret isn't rape.
Getting drunk and having sex while inebriated isn't rape.
Being coerced into sex is rape.

>>47775083
What is their definition of "rape" in these charges.
>>
>>47775111
>Getting drunk and having sex while inebriated isn't rape.

Actually, it is. For the same reason as if someone was drugged. You are not in control of your faculties.
>>
>>47775111

>What is their definition of "rape" in these charges.

The legal one?

That studies do you have saying that false reporting of rape is common?
>>
File: Derailed.gif (3 MB, 360x182) Image search: [Google]
Derailed.gif
3 MB, 360x182
Goodbye, /tg/ bitchthread, I'll miss you.
>>
>>47775111

>There's no possible way to mistake whether it was rape or not; there's no sliding scale of "rapeness", it either is or is not.

There is however two people often disagreeing on if something was rape and you can't generally medically prove if a given case of sex was rape or willing. There is also very rarely witnesses.
>>
>>47775083
It's impossible to know how many rapes are falsely reported. Every single rape accusation that fails due to lack of evidence could be a false report. Are you saying that 98% of rape accusations stick?
>>
>>47775150
>Actually, it is.
No, it's not.

>You are not in control of your faculties.
Last I checked, no one is forcing you to drink those beers.

>The legal one?
There are a hundred different legal systems all over the world, which one are you talking about?

>2-8% figure
only applies to provably false accusations; nearly half of all accusations do not proceed due to lack of evidence or the accuser recanting. Still doesn't help those poor men who were accused of being rapists.
>>
>>47775318

>It's impossible to know how many rapes are falsely reported.

Then why are people calling it an epidemic?
>>
>>47775339
Because people have had their lives ruined with no evidence to back them up. It happens very often. People will get fired and kicked out of school after an accusation and then the courts will find them innocent. their life has already been fucked up by then.
>>
>>47775330

>There are a hundred different legal systems all over the world, which one are you talking about?

Australian. That's where Victoria is a state.

Lack of Evidence also doesn't mean those men are innocent (Though it also doesn't mean they are guilty). So you can't say that those half are false accusations.
>>
>>47775339
Because it's sure as hell more than 2%.
http://digitalcommons.lmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2216&context=llr
>>
>>47775330

>only applies to provably false accusations

How would you charge someone if it's not provably false? Innocent until proven guilty.
>>
>>47775339
"Epidemic"s get clicks, news spots, interviews, things like that
>>
>>47775368
>So you can't say that those half are false accusations.
Why is it the man's responsibility to prove that he didn't rape, rather than the woman's responsibility to prove that she was?
>>
>>47775377

The 2% being quoted didn't come from LDF. That 2% came from the Victorian Police based on their own reports.
>>
>>47775150
I don't really buy this argument. Unless someone spiked your drink you are responsible for your actions while drunk. It's why people can get punished for drunk driving. If it would otherwise be considered consensual I don't think having sex with a drunk person is rape. Of course, diddling a passed out chick is horrible and something else entirely.
>>
>>47775400

If that was true, men would go to jail when there is insufficient evidence, not be released. He also gets innocent until proven guilty.

If he gets fired over a criminal accusation that he's found innocent over, he can sue for Unfair Dismissal or talk to his union.
>>
>>47775368
>Lack of Evidence also doesn't mean those men are innocent

Yes it does. They are innocent until proven guilty.
>>
>>47775432

I meant objectively, not in the eyes of the law. They are innocent in the laws eyes. I was referring to you not being able to say that every instance of Lack of Evidence is a False Reporting.
>>
>>47775400
Not that anon, but do you even understand how the legal system works? Go read the Ghomeshi decision if you want a refresher on how 'innocent until proven guilty' works.

The prosecution's client says that they were raped, the defendant says they didn't rape that person. The court decides if there is enough evidence to confirm the prosecution's case and punish the defendant. Whether or not the rape actually happened is entirely out of the court's hands -as the judge said in the Ghomeshi case, it's entirely possible that he did abuse those women, but their cases were not strong enough to convict.
>>
>>47775407
It also comes from the FBI, and all of them draw that figure from some feminist dissertation from decades back.
>>
>>47775468

No, the Victorian police one comes from 'How many reports did we get over the duration of the study, how many of them were false'. It's purely internal.
>>
>>47775450
Many, many alleged rapists go free. Since there is insufficient evidence it's impossible to know whether they did it or not. Anywhere from 0-100% of people who go free from lack of evidence could have been falsely accused. That's why saying
>only a small percentage of rape accusations are false
is absolutely fucking absurd. We just don't know, and that logic is being used to punish men who cannot be proven to have done anything wrong.
>>
>>47775491
So 98% of people accused of rape in Victoria are convicted? Every single Not Guilty verdict can be counted as a false accusation.
>>
>>47775549

No, you can't. As a false accusation is a specific crime, not just a case when they are not convicted. It's when the accuser provably lied.
>>
>>47775573
Just as not all actual rapists are convicted due to lack of evidence, it is equally plausible to say that not all false accusations are provable due to lack of evidence.
>>
>>47775573
So every single alleged rapist who is found not guilty due to insufficient evidence didn't do it?

So every single alleged false accuser who is found not guilty due to insufficient evidence didn't do it.

We just don't know how many accusations of rape are legitimate are not. It's impossible to know.
>>
File: Idiot Sandwich.gif (773 KB, 308x173) Image search: [Google]
Idiot Sandwich.gif
773 KB, 308x173
>>47775623
>>47775597
Let me see if I follow your argument

>All these men are being falsely accused of rape! See, the courts are finding them innocent due to lack of evidence.

>All these women are falsely accusing men of rape! We don't have proof because the courts didn't find them guilty of making false statements, but it's happening a whole bunch nonetheless!

Brilliant. You should feel proud that you came to that conclusion.
>>
>>47775661
The difference is that regardless of the verdict alleged rapists who go free still have their lives ruined. Alleged false accusers who go free face no repercussions. If you aren't convicted of a crime you shouldn't be treated as guilty. Nobody should face repercussions after being found not guilty.

We just people to act consistently you daft wanker.
>>
>>47775728

That's not something the legal system can really fix. You can't charge someone for being a dick.
>>
File: Fucked Up Meter.gif (43 KB, 600x397) Image search: [Google]
Fucked Up Meter.gif
43 KB, 600x397
>>47775728
So then wouldn't the smart move to do something like, say, help people accused of rape but found innocent find jobs? Support measures like the 'Right to Forget' law to remove damaging stories from the internet? Volunteer at a support group? Go on the internet and say, "They're cheating whores doing it because they're malicious harpies who want to hurt men and avoid consequences, most rape accusations are probably false."

Wait, that last one doesn't seem smart at all. Sounds like it just makes you a keyboard warrior, embittering actual victims while doing nothing to help the people you claim to want to protect.
>>
>>47775661
Furthermore it's only one side who is actually making percentage claims. People say
>well only 2% of rape accusations are proven false so only 2% of rape accusations are false
you could JUST AS EASILY say
>well only X% of rape accusations are proven true so only X% of rape accusations are true
but we aren't doing that. It's impossible to tell how many are true.

>>47775799
There should, however, be stronger penalties for universities who bounce students out with a kangaroo court that forces them to prove they are INNOCENT instead of the other way around.
>>
>>47775816
>They're cheating whores doing it because they're malicious harpies who want to hurt men and avoid consequences, most rape accusations are probably false

I never said anything of the sort you fucking tool. In fact, I personally think that the vast majority of rape accusations are probably true. The only thing I was trying to convey in this thread is that it is impossible to put a number to them. It is impossible to know what percentage is true. Feel free to paint me as a misogynist though.
>>
>>47759158
>Magical realm stuff. Someone opened the floodgates, and then a torrent of shit drowned us all.

This is only a /tg/ thing I think, but the conception of the idea has really shit on this place pretty bad.

If people didn't make up stories, it would have been over in a week, though.
>>
>>47765199
Literally Orlando
>>
>>47759400

You know what'd kick casters in the nuts more? If encounter-ending magic took more than a standard action to cast.
>>
>>47769665
Why are 2ch and 4chan so visually small? Are they like icebergs?
>>
>>47761284
>I mean, do you NOT dream of a day when you can talk about things like playing 40K or Rogue Trader
No because I already have a good sense of self worth, and a desire to keep my private life private. I don't want to talk to strangers about my hobby. Fuck strangers. I also don't care about being accepted by the media at large, as their acceptance means nothing. A literal nothing.
>>
>>47775623
Well, if you only count cases in which the accuser admits to having lied about rape having occurred, at least one paper found that figure floats around 40% of all accusations.

https://sf-criminaldefense.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/KaninFalseRapeAllegations.pdf
>>
>>47779424
>I don't want to talk to strangers about my hobby. Fuck strangers.

So then why are you participating in a social hobby that requires group collaboration with other people?
>>
>>47761284
Regardless of the implications, I think one of the biggest failings of modern media across all categories is that it's become too accessible for the general public.

Everything big produced now has to cater to all classes, races, nationalities, creeds, and lifestyles. This in turn leads to the most banal, generic tripe that can be produced the least offensively to a wide majority yet still contain a sliver of entertainment to make it somewhat desirable for consumption.

Rogue Trader and 40k attract the kind of players it gets because of the ways they are. The current playerbase finds it entertaining and engaging moreso than competing games, and the reason for that is that it speaks to their sensibilities in some way. To change something by diluting it and removing parts that are offensive to some for the sake of inclusion removes the unique parts of the package itself. It's not that having an inclusive system is bad, but the act of taking a multitude of great, existing systems and tweaking them into something they're not is damaging to the long term interest of the hobby as a whole.

The backlashes you see so often across many different types of media on the internet is just an echo of these concerns spread across an entire spectrum. Players are worried that they'll lose something unique and interesting to oneself in favor of people who are merely dabblers looking to touch on a multitude of different creations but never really settle on a single one. It's the equivalent of bringing civilization to the untamed backwoods of the wild so that all can get the "wildwood experience," never mind that all of the important and unique parts have been omitted.
>>
>>47779397
>Why are 2ch and 4chan so visually small?

Based on estimation of membership. And this is from a few years ago- Reddit is outsized by fucking Digg.
>>
>>47780938
>boring stubbly viking white guy #489023 isn't offensively boring
>diversity is
>>
>>47781018
For better or worse, 20-30 year old white guys is indeed a demographic with their own tastes. Some say they are overly catered to in media, which does have merit when taken in a vacuum. Pound for pound, more comicbooks, video games, and music is produced with this target audience in mind, because they are both the largest and longest lasting consumer block out there.

Like I said, it's not that having media for other groups is bad, or even having media that targets multiple groups is. It's taking established media and bastardizing it with the notion the original fans will continue to enjoy it just as much and new fans will be attracted as well. In reality, older fans feel alienated from previously enjoyable things and proceed to move on while adoption rates among new fans are often too low to have a net benefit.
>>
>>47774213

But...Isn't that the truth? It would fuck up the girl's life for good. It's not an exaggeration, it WILL happen.
>>
>>47774451

Probably, but the Orlando shooting makes me feel like a latecomer. I'll try a mosque instead. I don't want to be a 'copycat shooter'.
>>
>>47771994
Why?
>>
>>47759088
>Simplified combat dice.
No more battle tables or anything. At best, we get specialty dice that act "sort of" like a combat table, a la Descent. Do you know how difficult it is to balance normal numerical dice with no chart assistance? But modern board gamers hate that shit.
>>
>>47767632
Because people who play D&D don't know shit about game design.
>>
>>47781236
Will a court case over rape have a negative impact on a lady's life? Probably (though that has to be weighed against the positive of seeing the rapist punished, knowing that he's not going to hurt anyone else, and other psychological benefits). But it won't 'fuck it up for good', especially if she chooses to stay anonymous.

But either way, it's not the job of legal aid to pour scorn on a woman's attempt to come forward about a crime. It's especially not their job to do so in ways that are entirely unrelated to the law, like telling her that she will have to drop out of school entirely, or that they are going to call up her parents right away and tell them all about their daughter getting raped. The job of legal aid is to help her get in touch with the police so they can do their investigation and determine whether this is even going to lead to an arrest and charges, let alone a trial. Legal aid doesn't list out all the negative consequences of going to the cops, then asks her to lock in her answer like she's playing Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

>>47781348
Not that anon, but I like the idea of study and preparation in a wizard. It adds a nice metabalance as compared to spontaneous casters and non-casters, who can just run in with their standard gear and handle 90% of situations. A Vancian wizard acts as brakes and gives the party a good reason to roleplay out investigation and intelligence gathering. As a GM I appreciate that because it lets me flesh out the world- instead of the players just murdering people because someone offered them money to do so, and they walk away with full purses and no real understanding of what they did, who they did it for, why they wanted it done, and to whom they did it.
>>
>>47761928
Go home armstrong, you're drunk on your nanomachines again.
>>
>>47767288
>That's very serious. On campus, we usually don't handle criminal issues.
Fair.
>But I'll call the police to file a report, right now
Fair.
>as soon as you tell me everything, Miss.
Wait, what?
>By the way, have you taken time off from your studies? You're likely to miss a lot of classes when the process starts. Will you be more comfortable withdrawing? No, not from the semester - from the University.
u fukkin wot m8?
>Also, you must be badly distraught.
The panic starts settling in.
>Would you like me to call your parents?
u wot m8?
>It's essential that we inform them.
IS IT?
>Wait, where are you going?
pls

>They usually told me, straight-up; "I slept with another guy, and now my boyfriend hates me/I'm breaking up with my boyfriend. Can I say that he raped me?"
I'm sure they did Anon, I'm sure they did.
>>
>>47779247
>If encounter-ending magic took more than a standard action to cast.
It would also make casters incredibly boring to play. Wouldn't the solution be to simply not give them encounter ending magic? Personally I feel casters should be more about utility, rather than combat anyway.
>>
>>47759088
ALIGNMENT

SERIOUSLY
STOP
THAT
SHIT
>>
>>47780952
>estimation of membership.
If it's based on the usual metrics (Alexa), it requires that people install, and keep, malware in their browsers.
I'd expect 4chan to score fairly low in that metric compared to Reddit.

It's frankly absurd that people use Alexa rankings for anything serious.
>>
>>47786165
What else would he use to get a sense of site membership? You can't exactly look at how many people are currently on 4chan and know how many there are throughout the day.
>>
>>47759138
Fireball, ESPECIALLY D&D Fireball.
I think its one of the few that bleed over to everything.
>>
>>47789707
You mean you hate the name Fireball, or "Fireball from D&D" style spells?
>>
>>47767632
What they replaced vancian casting with was honestly worse.

>Hey, remember how complicated managing tens of spells across several different resources was?
>Well now everyone manages even more effects than before!
>And they have to keep track of which ones they can use at will and which ones they can only use once!
>And they have to keep track of which ones refresh per encounter and which ones refresh per day!
>And passive abilities are out of the equation for classes now!
>Magic items are also still baked into progression!
>Also did we mention you can pile on loads and loads of status effects and little buffs and bonuses to slow down combat?
>Hey wait where are you going?

If anything, they should've cut down on the number of spells casters get and given martials more useful things beyond "I move and attack".
>>
>>47791199
>If anything, they should've cut down on the number of spells casters get and given martials more useful things beyond "I move and attack".
4e did that though. They also cut out most buffs and debuffs in favour of Combat Advantage and a bunch of different status effects, rather than a shit ton of +s and -s
>>
>>47791199
>If anything, they should've cut down on the number of spells casters get and given martials more useful things beyond "I move and attack".

They did, both of those things. The amount of powers the average 4e character had to manage was generally always around 10. As you leveled, you didn't get new powers that added on to your repertoire so much as you got replacements for powers that you already had. Instead of pushing someone 2 squares, you can now push them two squares and follow right after sort of thing. Casters didn't get bloated spellbooks, and martials had a bunch of moves. And tracking your powers was never a problem I ever saw at a table while I was running; people just ticked off encounters and dailies as they were used (from the part of their character sheet where they'd written down all their powers), and erased as needed.

Tracking status effects was more of a pain as a GM, though it's very easy to recognize that a couple of them are going to come up all the time (like marked, prone and slowed) so you should get a couple simple tokens to toss on the board or have a shorthand for those in your notes, and some of them are going to come up almost never (like deaf and petrified) so you don't have to worry about them. A couple sessions with a party gives them time to work out strategies and what each other can do, and gives the GM time to see what they're likely to do and how to prepare for it to keep the flow going.
>>
>>47761662
you have only yourself to blame for this.
#TFW not genX or millennial
fuck the boomers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUC42V4f9A
>>
File: Old Man Yells At Cloud.jpg (52 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Old Man Yells At Cloud.jpg
52 KB, 480x270
>>47791496
>not a boomer, so not born between the 40's and 60's
>not GenX, so not born between 60's and 80's
>not Millenial, so not born between 80's and 00's

Someone ban the child, please.
>>
File: 1465238831206.jpg (28 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
1465238831206.jpg
28 KB, 500x555
>>47791543
Millennial is a catchall term used by boomers for anyone born form 1980 on. There are some major differences between who where born in the early 80s, and even early 90s.

the lack of internet during early childhood, inheritance of a previous generations media and values, in the face of the GenX being the "cool adults".

It gets divided quite a bit if you have to deal with cultural/ societal studies.

You could argue that every group has its outliers who don't conform, and that is fair, but on a whole level, each generation has traits that were formed in nearly ever individual due to the media and events of the time.

Its a pretty interesting field of study, where generational differences really spikes in the early/mid 80s onward, as media turnover became faster and more globalized. Like your image, there people who don't know the Simpsons now.

overall..fuck you.
>>
>>47791665
>Millennial
is a noun to indicate "i don't like you"
it's one step above "cuck"
>>
>>47767018
HAHAHA HAHAHA
Nyet.
12 eternities in gulag for you.
>>
File: A-Aha-Ahaha.gif (214 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
A-Aha-Ahaha.gif
214 KB, 500x240
>>47791690
It's a name for the generation born from the 1980's to 2000's, the commonly accepted one (you can argue differences, but unless you have either a cultural consensus or some legitimate social science backing your arguments it's just you saying 'NUHUH' to the idea of definitions). Self-conscious children like you and >>47791665 are the only ones bothered by it.
>>
>>47791752
>legitimate social science backing your arguments
:D
>drafted a lean six sigma hybrid combining ORM+rootcause with spiral/agile, to create a top down corporate identity and methodology that is still in use today.
>Developed train the trainer for leadership to help eliminate the communication gap between "generations".

you can break down generations, but for effective management there has to be total understanding. Also you have fine taste in hedonistic robots.

Finally.

see the last segment of >>47791665
"Fuck you" ;p
>>
>>47775368
>Australia
Found the problem, that country's become a fucking hugbox.
>>
File: Fictions and Falsehoods.jpg (7 KB, 379x27) Image search: [Google]
Fictions and Falsehoods.jpg
7 KB, 379x27
>>47791852
Yes, I'm sure you're an accomplished project management educator and social scientist who happens to shitpost on 4chan and uses the emoticons of a 12-year-old. No way you just crammed a pile of buzzwords together you gleaned from your mother's Dairy Queen Employee Handbook.
>>
>>47792144
:D whatevers clever man. You keep responding to me which provides me entertainment, and I have no need to validate anything I say, nor do you. I suspect you are also getting entertainment.

Though you would be surprised the number of people who post on 4chan, my nigga.

Spergs are spergs. Not real spergs of course, but you got your nuclear, electrical, industrial, and other fuckers creeping around here. We start off young when the chan launched, and went to college. What else do you think engineers like? tits, anime/ manga (argument:ihateanime-lol-on4chan), guns, and games.

Also none of those are buzzwords, neither fashionable nor popular in any vernacular, common or corporate.

Past this man, because..you are probably a man, or at least a person owning a Y chromosome, have a wonderful day.
And go fuck yourself. even if you don't respond, I know you are emotionally invested in this enough that you have read this post, and that gives me victory points in which I will use to capture your base.
>>
>>47785401
If encounter ending magic is difficult or dangerous to cast, then most people will try to find other, more efficient ways of solving their problems. At which point, the encounter ending magic will become something to only be used in a last ditch effort to solve your problem - will you be able to cast it in time? Will you be successful? Will someone get through your other party members and fuck you up? That sounds pretty fun to me.
>>
>>47761284
>>I mean, do you NOT dream of a day when you can talk about things like playing 40K or Rogue Trader in public without fear of being judged for being into that "weird roleplaying shit?"
I don't. I love scorn and shame because it helps provide secrecy.
>>
>>47792499
>Also none of those are buzzwords, neither fashionable nor popular in any vernacular, common or corporate.

"forsooth mine boner enlargeth alongst with mine vocabulary"
>>
>>47785373

He's right about informing their parents, though. The lawyer overseeing our Adelaide campus program insisted that we do so if it could be an actual criminal case. We never had anything like that the whole semester, but Australia is different.
>>
>>47775083

I don't know what stats you are reading, but most stats say 2-10%, feminists tend to drop it down to 2-8% arbitraily. The issue is that that number almost always comes from only counting cases where the victim admitted that they lied about the accusation. Even in cases where the evidence clearly contradicts the story it is still considered possible that they are just too shell shocked from the rape to remember it correctly.

>>47775150
At what point are you considered "drunk" ? Like is someone who has had a couple glasses of wine now unable to consent ? Where do you draw the limit ? Being passed out or unable to move is obviously a condition where one can't consent because those have pretty clearly defined boundaries, "drunk" is too vague of a term to use in an accusation this serious.
>>
>>47775150
>two people get drunk
>inebriated and judgment impaired
>they decide to have sex
>neither of them says no or resists

Does that mean these two people raped each other? Should they both be sent to jail for the heinous crime of consenting to sex while drunk, despite the fact that they both wanted it at the time?

Like, okay, yeah, if someone blacks out from drinking too much and someone fucks them, that's not rape because they're drunk, that's rape because they're fucking blacked out. Drunk people can and do give consent for sex - they just don't always look back and think it was a wise decision.
>>
>>47795640
>Even in cases where the evidence clearly contradicts the story it is still considered possible that they are just too shell shocked from the rape to remember it correctly.
Yes, because a good legal system tries to limit the 'story' and sticks to the facts. The worst is that it's the closest thing to hard science when it comes to dealing with social shit, and it falls short in so many ways it's not even funny.
>>
>>47775429
just a little question,if you would be fired for a illegal reason and had to go to court for unfair dismissal, would you feel like your life got fucked? i certainly would
>>
>>47761272

I gave my players an airship.

Then one of the players joked that it was a "lead zeppelin."

Then someone started playing The Immigrant Song.

This now happens every time the airship is brought up.

I found it mildly amusing the first time. Now all it does is take away from my game. It's stupid. It's not funny. Yet these fucking ingrates laugh.

It's almost enough to make me stop DMing.
>>
>>47799730
Protip: If the players enjoy it and you do not, you are being THAT GUY.
I get that the music sucks. But in this case, you need to train yourself to like it, or at least tolerate it.

In return, you can expect your players to train themselves to like, or at least tolerate, whatever 2deep4u niche shit you enjoy!
>>
>>47799810

See, I would agree. If everyone enjoyed it, I would suck it up and deal.

The problem is, it's only two of the players who laugh. The other three players sit there annoyed, because they'd rather get back to the game. That is where my problem lies. If it only annoyed me, I could live with it. When it annoys me AND some of my players, that's where I draw a line.

My group is comprised of friends, which means that I unfortunately can't just kick them out of the group. Since, you know, they're the people I hang out with outside of D&D.
>>
>>47791752
I'm bothered by it because of the fundamental difference between early and later millennials, which is their concept of privacy and boundaries.

Many millenials born in the 80s were taught by their parents not to talk to strangers nor give out personal information online. This is in direct contrast to later generations which happily post their entire lives on facebook and twitter thinking anyone gives a shit. It's not like I've forgotten about myspace and angelfire, but there were far fewer people on the internet then, and everyone knows those they were fags. The most people whom wear their identities on their e-sleeves (and make sure you know about it) are from the latest generation or the latter half of mine, and I get lumped in with them.
>>
>>47799662
>marxists on /tg/
This has never happened, the only time i have seen people talking about politics was when /pol/ either provoked it or started it. You are projecting and trying to make up a reason for shoving your politics everywhere, go back to your contaiment board
>>
>>47765727
There is a big diference between labeling something as "pro-diversity only" and not wanting people who say "TGs ARE ONLY FOR WHITE MALE HETEROSEXUALS!", im a person who dislikes the fact that the hobby is gaining popularity and even i am tierd of this shit. I got into TGs because it was a niche hooby with a high enterece fee but extreamly low maintenc cost, meaning that only people who really liked it would stay, but ffs i dont make a fuss that books cost money even though im anty-capitalist, i shut up and buy them because this is a hooby that ment to be fun, and it's ment to be sheared between other people, why the fuck cant /pol/ tards suck up the fact that they are goin to have a faggot or nigger from time to time in their group?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.