[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy system for inexperienced player
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: generic dragon age image.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
generic dragon age image.jpg
238 KB, 1920x1080
I'm GMing for an extremely inexperienced player in a few days. The campaign will be composed of myself, the new player, and a mutual friend, for the purpose of easing him into TTRPGs. I'm looking for what system to start him out on. He's a fan of high fantasy and political intrigue, and pointed out Dragon Age and A Song of Ice and Fire as examples. I was considering doing a generic D&D/Pathfinder campaign but he balked at the magic system, so I'm looking for something that's a bit looser with its magic system that would be nice for inexperienced players.

Any advice?
>>
>Dragon Age

Well, in that case, throw anything at him. It's going to be awful regardless of what system you play. Hell, throw the Dragon Age RPG at him and enjoy the sadism/masochism inherent in trying to run it.
>>
>>47746866
I've never tried the Dragon Age RPG as I'm not into Dragon Age. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>47746988
Anon is probably just some fag from /v/, they like to hate everything. Dragon Age isn't that bad.
>>
>>47747175
I've never played it. Do you have any recommendations on something that might capture a similar feel however?
>>
>>47746808
I've run Dragon Age. It works, but it's nothing to really phone home about. My primary issue with the system is that it doesn't give you much support at all for materially rewarding your players. There is not a lot of design space for items, because even a +1 is a big deal, and you kind of have to make that shit up on your own. It's frustrating.

I'd take D&D over it and just deal with it magicwise because you'll have a lot more options.
>>
Definitely don't do D&D/PF. I don't have any real suggestions because my systemfu is crunchy, but avoid 5e at all costs.
>>
>>47750227
Nice political posturing.
>>
>>47750242
5e a shit.
>>
I'm glad the newbie wants to avoid D&D and PF. They aren't horrible, but people tend to get STUCK in them.

Ryuutama? FATE? GURPS, if you take off the bells and whistles, is hella simple. MouseGuard?
>>
>>47746808

WHFRP 2e for its fun job system

Burning Wheel for the mechanics being tied into the story

Riddle of Steel/Song of Swords for experiencing the most realistic combat system at the cost of combat taking forever
>>
>>47746808
Labrynth Lord
>>
Depends really on the type of game you want to run. I like sword and sorcery so my go to introductory is Barbarians Of Lemuria. You can tweak the styling and come up with pseudo stats for your usual high fantasy orcs and such.
>>
Dungeon World/World of Dungeons are really simple for beginners, but they aren't really "high fantasy".

I like FATE Accelerated; again, very light for new players and it's generic, so fantasy as high as you want.

Depending on how combat heavy you want to go, 4e could be a good system. Not as beginner friendly or narrative as the above two, but there's a player really only needs a character builder nad maybe someone to recommend stuff.

Savage Worlds is also a possibility, it's, once again, really simple and intentionally made to play fast.
>>
>>47746808
OpenD6 Fantasy
>>
>>47750227

Eh, I know quite a lot of people who got into D&D 5E. They seem to be doing all right.If the system is the only one present, it can work.
>>
>>47746808

How do you define "looser" regarding the magic system? Dragon Age is fairly simple, both it and WFRP 2E have fairly limited magical systems.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.