[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What method do you folks use to keep parties together in pathfinder.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
What method do you folks use to keep parties together in pathfinder. This seems to be my biggest challenge
>>
Keep environment lethal enough that lone individuals inevitably die sooner rather than later.
>>
Start the game with the contrivance that "You guys are a team, you have to cooperate and work together" and enforce it consistently.
>>
Refuse to run for a split party for anything longer than a single roll to scout ahead.

If folks want to split up long term, you'll run for the larger group and the rest become NPCs
>>
>>47745433
Personally I just play with people who can understand the concept of co-operation. That solves most of my problems.
Also veto any characters that seem like they would rather be alone than in a group. Co-operation starts at chargen.
>>
>>47745433
While this could work >>47745467
I've seen dms do amnesia or forcing them to work together because of a superior foe.
>>
File: multiplicity_02.jpg (64 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
multiplicity_02.jpg
64 KB, 500x333
I tell the players that they, when writing their characters, must write them so that the characters are motivated to work together. They must also be involved in each other's backstories. I do not care how; they could be lovers, family members, colleagues, friends, sworn companions, or all of the above, just as long as they have a reason to care about each other.
>>
I play better games that have a player base that isn't trash.
>>
>>47745433

Why are they splitting up?
>>
>>47746797
Oh look, it's eternally triggered bitch-anon.
>>
>>47746814
If you go slumming you shouldn't be surprised to find subhumans.
>>
>>47746814

It should be no surprise to anyone that the barrel-scrapings of PnP like a game with disjointed rules and uninspired settings.
>>
>>47745433

I require all player characters to start as and stay Pathfinders in good standing. I don't care if they like each other but they have to do the job. If a character wants to quit or retire they can write the epilogue but they'll need a new character.
>>
>>47745449
>>47745467
This. Make it an OOC understanding that it's the PLAYER'S responsibility to keep the party together. If they need nuanced literary explanations of why they continue adventuring together, they can work it out amongst one another.

A character who insists on leaving the main party for more than a bit of tactical moving or attending to his own business in a civilized area becomes an NPC, and only reenters play at the GM's pleasure.

If somehow it were an even split, flip a coin.
>>
>>47749499
what's a /tg/ that allows for split-play?
it would be nice if lets say you're hosting different games and one player cannot be there because of responsibilities and then just update him on what's going on, he could in the army or a wizard, something that requires off time.
>>
Although splitting the party is usually a bad idea, as with everything if you are upfront and plan well it should go over with minimal issues. Do it on a temporary basis, no more then a few sessions at a time. Hold individual sessions with each group, and plan the reunion session. Don't be fucking stupid about it. That being said it seems like it would be more trouble than its worth, although there might be out of game reasons for it such as players having schedule changes.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.