[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think it's a bad idea to let NPCs become nobles,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1465152313250.jpg (603 KB, 888x1280) Image search: [Google]
1465152313250.jpg
603 KB, 888x1280
Do you think it's a bad idea to let NPCs become nobles, rulers or even kings? Does it really limit roleplaying, or does it only expand your options for different stories even further?
>>
>>47731938

I was unaware anyone thought there should never be any nobility NPCs.
>>
>>47731955
fucking hell I'm an idiot I mean PCs
>>
>>47731970

I know. I just like ribbing people.

To answer your question, no I don't think it's a bad idea. Nor do I think it's a limiting option.

It all depends on if it's something the players really "deserve" or if you're just pulling it out of your ass.
>>
I'll assume you meant PCs and are just dumb.

I've had one, it's fun as fuck, it opens up lots of different opportunities for stories from a very different angle, since normally PCs are "on the outside looking in".
It also doesn't limit anything.

HOWEVER the player really needs to be into it.
>>
Considering medieval nobility lead from the front in battle, no it is appropriate and even part of the genre.

Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!
>>
Some players can without problem.

The players who ask to shouldn't be allowed to though. They're universally cunts who are planning on a power trip.
Also, if a player's goals include becoming a god, kick them in the teeth for me.
>>
There was a whole D&D 2nd Ed Campaign Setting based around this premises called Birthright. There is also the OSR game Adventuerer, Conqueror, King by Autarch.
>>
>>47731938
I generally prefer the idea of them being business owners or guild-runners, it still allows me to keep things small-scale or give them the option to get bigger, and my players just so happen to be money people IRL so they're into it.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 260x337) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 260x337
>>47732050

Bonjour and welcome to my campaign!
>>
File: 20160607141108_1.jpg (332 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160607141108_1.jpg
332 KB, 1920x1080
I think making them minor nobles is a good idea just as an excuse to give them a nice place to rest, keep their loot and have a handful of servants to do menial shit for them.
>>
Myfarog has PCs as nobility by default, and it works quite well.
>>
>>47732559
Go away, you.
>>
>>47731970
>points and laughs
>>
>>47731938
Literally nothing that you and your group enjoys is a bad idea.

In the case of becoming nobility or taking a greater role in the community/kingdom/culture, it's one of those things your group needs to talk about.

It is going to require a lot more of both the GM and the players, since you're going to be doing a lot more social stuff and since the GM needs to figure out the workings of society in a different way than when you only see kings and whatnots from afar.

I've run campaigns where players settled in and became land owners or important people, and some times the group agreed that it's not really what they want to focus on in play, but it makes perfect sense for the characters, so we left that campaign and started a new one, since the characters (the ones that survived) had "made it" and didn't really have a reason to go around murderhoboing any more.

In other cases the players felt that it would be fun to switch gears and do political intrigue and stuff like that, so we kept at it.

Bad ideas only exist in relation to the group playing them out, and fortunately you can just ask them what they think, instead of relying on /tg/s nebulous and arbitrary definition of what's bad or not.
>>
>>47732559
Yeah but consider this: nobody gives a shit about Myfarog.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.