[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, I'm looking to start up a nautical campaign for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Red_Eye_Orb.png (4 KB, 80x90) Image search: [Google]
Red_Eye_Orb.png
4 KB, 80x90
Hey /tg/, I'm looking to start up a nautical campaign for my party and I wanna try some thing that's low fantasy. What are some good systems to support thay and that offer some magic if I want to use a little?

Pic unrelated
>>
7th Sea, The Black Eye or Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd Edition). Depends on how low you actually want your fantasy to be.
>>
>>47724960

>The Black Eye

do you mean The Dark Eye?

Also Riddle of Steel and Song of Swords maybe?
>>
>>47724983
>do you mean The Dark Eye?
Yes, that one. Das Schwarze Auge
>>
Strike! RPG
>>
File: piratefleet.png (2 MB, 1304x948) Image search: [Google]
piratefleet.png
2 MB, 1304x948
>>47725001

Oh yeah I've heard some good things. It's coming out in the West for the first time now right?
>>
>>47724983
Man I'm so angry. I owned riddle of steel at one point but I lost it and can't find it anywhere cheaper then 80 bucks
>>
GURPS
>>
>>47725040
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>47724908
7th Sea

Reign Enchiridion
Torchbearer
Runequest
>>
>>47725138
Milhouse is not a meme!
>>
>>47725138
>>47725040
I'm actually GM-ing a nautical Strike! game tomorrow, although the nautical travel is more the separator between fantastic locations rather than the focus.

As a generic system it can easily handle it, but you will probably need to figure out how to handle ship to ship combat (though I think there's a vehicle expansion, but I don't have that one) and some other details.

It doesn't really work if you have a need to accurately simulate shit though.
>>
File: Thumbs-down-icon.png (5 KB, 314x283) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs-down-icon.png
5 KB, 314x283
>>47725258
>implying you're not doing the scummy ass shit-tier GMing thing of making the players take skills/abilities to make them good at sailing/having a strong ship, and then going 'Well the ship is just for background detail anyway~' and making them waste everything

Disgusting. You're no different from every other 'nautical game' GM ever.
>>
>>47725318
I now suspect that you are one of my players (especially since I didn't make the Strike! suggestion, and considering the number of players who know/play the game and would recommend it for sea adventure are pretty limited...), so yeah, you probably know I'm guilty of this.

Kinda. I mean, I handed out some stuff for free (swimming and basic ship related skills), some stuff did something at least (the crew), and a bunch of the skills are dual purpose (mapping/water magic/leadership works just as well on land).

But yeah, I need to figure a way out for it to be more relevant, especially since we didn't actually have any real nautical combats yet. In my defense, I didn't have a good opportunity for it yet either.
>>
>>47724908
Running AFMBE with the pirate sourcebook. Meets your description,abd it's running great.
>>
>>47725154
>>47724960

Tell me about 7th Sea bc I had heard 1e is pretty unplayable, or something. At least I had heard that it was p problematic. What about 2e?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.