[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if all magic was just either illusion or divination?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Freger_ROMANIA_1_2343242.jpg (97 KB, 465x610) Image search: [Google]
Freger_ROMANIA_1_2343242.jpg
97 KB, 465x610
What if all magic was just either illusion or divination?
>>
So what if all magic is just magic?
>>
>>47721832
But the wrong kind of magic.
>>
>>47721773
Then it'd be similar to RL magic with a bit more oomph, I guess. Most sorcerers and shamans are illusionists and/or diviners.
>>
>>47721773
Add alchemy and I'm sold.
>>
If you could accurately tell the future it would be a pretty big deal
>>
In my setting, most self-proclaimed magicians are just illusionists, and their "magic" is limited to essentially parlor tricks. Oracles make extremely vague prophecies that end up being self-fufilling due to how gullible the common man is. As for shamans and shit, their rituals involve ingesting "magic" plants and other substances.

You know, drugs.

Actual magic is a lot more rare and out of reach for most mortals.
>>
>>47721773
whats wrong with divination?

make some bets on the superbowl...
>>
>>47721773
that would suck.
>>
Ambicorps MagiTek Industries has been the Outworld's number one employer of magically augmented beings since 3E211.

Ambicorps MagiTek: Whatever it is, there wasn't a machine for it before you asked, but there is by the time you finished the question.
>>
>>47722515
For you. I think it would rock.
>>
File: 1330721630283.png (605 KB, 918x4643) Image search: [Google]
1330721630283.png
605 KB, 918x4643
Besides the teleportation, it would be like this.
>>
>>47721773
Magic would be a LOT more powerful in my setting.
It's all shitty Evocation right now.
>>
>>47722503
divination in real time combat, he will swing this way and i will move this way and hit him here, here, and here. I win.
>>
>>47721773
It would actually be interesting and lead to situations where magic isn't the best solution. I'm all for it.
>>
File: Baneu?.jpg (39 KB, 960x535) Image search: [Google]
Baneu?.jpg
39 KB, 960x535
>>47721874
>>
File: 1447238576211.jpg (798 KB, 900x1271) Image search: [Google]
1447238576211.jpg
798 KB, 900x1271
>>47722651
you can only see as far ahead in the future as it takes to cast the divination though.

More useful to give the archer a magical scope to snipe things off from a great distance with, or to see into attacker's loincloths so the bard can very precisely mock the enemies' genitalia.

side note: this set up is actually even more interesting in a Modern High Fantasy setting - imagine the battlefield utility of long distance scrying, or illusion, imagine F-14s with a pilot in front and a DIO (or Divination Illusionist Officer) in back to both stealth the plane up and to punch through enemy illusions as well as to aid in targeting and spotting enemy planes...
>>
>>47721860

Divination was definitely the most come king of magic, but illusions show up mostly in fairy tales and legends, less in genuine magical beliefs. Healing, weather control, bindings, and curses were more common. They were largely viewed as indirect, though. You did a ritual and eventually you got the desired result, not immediately.
>>
>>47725889

Most common. God damn autocorrect.
>>
>>47721773
>>give foe a vision of being stabbed
>>give an army of foes visions of being burned alive
>>powerful divination magic allows you to control the present and allows for more conventional magic
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.