[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thematically, what distinguishes Greco-Roman/Sword & Sandal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 900x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 900x463
Thematically, what distinguishes Greco-Roman/Sword & Sandal fantasy from Germano-Celtic/High fantasy?
>>
>>47710572
The overall aesthetics I guess.
>>
>>47710572

The Olive Line
>>
>>47710572
Religion and philosophy, I'd think. The gods like to meddle, the heroes get bad ends 90% of the time, monsters have a divine background, etc.
>>
>>47710572
Distance
>>
>>47710572
Temperature.
>>
File: 1413324930915.jpg (183 KB, 900x636) Image search: [Google]
1413324930915.jpg
183 KB, 900x636
>>47710572

PUBLIC BATHS!
>>
>>47711016
>gods like to meddle
That's true for both. The norse gods were just as likely to wander around, get drunk, fuck some chieftains's wife as the greek gods were. Except that the greeks liked their bestiality when fucking gods.

>bad ends
Also true on both sides. There aren't that many heroes that ever got a good end. That is if you don't count 'killed enough shit and died young enough to get chosen for valhalla' as a good ending.

>monsters have divine background
Just the same. While the bigger badies and some of the lesser ones in greek mythology were bastard spawns of some god or other, the biggest baddies in norse mythology were either gods or godlings themselves and even the smaller ones were either creations or disciples of gods.

Hell, even the gods themselves were pretty similar with more or less clear defined areas of competence for every one. The only thing different I could name would be the interactions between the gods. The norse gods tended to be a bit less delicate and didn't often fight proxy wars using mortals in the legends.
>>
File: 1415972279584.jpg (112 KB, 579x527) Image search: [Google]
1415972279584.jpg
112 KB, 579x527
>>47710572
>Thematically, what distinguishes Greco-Roman/Sword & Sandal fantasy from Germano-Celtic/High fantasy?
Civilization.
>>
>>47710572
The general atmosphere, locations, culture of the world you're playing in ect. Also they often overlap, so the separation is not really cut and dry.
>>
>>47713034
Damn right. Those Romans were barbaric.
>>
>>47713034
#banter
>>
>>47713618
Silly keltoi, Romans can-t be barbarian, because Barbarian means some one than can-t speak Latin or his main speach isn-t Latin or greek. Bar-bar was the equivalent of ching-chong, a way to make fun of people than didnt known his latin.
>>
File: 1452469806038.png (17 KB, 367x461) Image search: [Google]
1452469806038.png
17 KB, 367x461
>>47710572
I'm going to assume by "germano-celtic" you are referring to "medieval to early renaissance", because both Ostrogoths and Celts interacted heavily with the Roman empire, and in the case of the Celts, even the Roman Republic. That being said, If you want to draw heavily from historical tropes and actual history, there's huge differences between the two eras. I could elaborate on this further, but it's a lot of typing so only will if asked.

However, general fantasy mashes a lot of historical attributes of those two eras together, making them not particularly distinguishable.

Also, thanks for giving me a reason to drop some dank Rome memes.
>>
>>47711554
Let's be real, the divide is closer to pagan sword and sandels(or tunic and torc) vs Christian High Fantasy (what with the good versus evil and all that)
>>
>>47715135
Excuse me you silly Latin, Barbar refers to one who cannot speak Glorious Greek.

That said, some of you Latins are alright what with your deference to Homer and all that. I just hope you don't start writing Iliad fanfic, cause that's where we good Hellenics draw the line
>>
>>47710572
Pants
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.