[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you do voices during your sessions? Any tips for someone trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: microphone.jpg (16 KB, 260x324) Image search: [Google]
microphone.jpg
16 KB, 260x324
Do you do voices during your sessions? Any tips for someone trying expand their vocal repertoire?
>>
Yes. No.
>>
I try not to, since i'm awful at it
I'd like to know myself
>>
>>47681234
Yes
Practice. Do funny voices in the shower and shit, try to be more expressive in your everyday speech.
>>
Playing Irish Elf in Shadowrun from Tir Na Nog, would doing a pretty authentic accent be welcome?
>>
>>47681234
No.

Players take a shot every time they break character. Pretty soon nobody cares
>>
>>47681643
Check first if you have any body who's ever been to Ireland.
Or worse, is Irish. part or whole. Because a) there's a good few Irish accents, you'd not confuse a Donegalman with a Corker for instance and b) you will probably get the shit ripped out of you and never be able to live it down.
Sauce - grew up in county Donegal
>>
>>47681643
Oh, begora.
>>
>>47681643
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1cBUSXCyOrL
>>
>>47681234
I do tend to do some voices for at least some core characters that the players will interact with.

I'm by no means great, but just keep working on impersonations of characters, and listen to a lot of accents and pay careful attention not just to their vowel sounds, but also their inflection and mannerisms in their speech. Sometimes even a simple mannerism or two can give even your regular voice some character.
>>
>>47681234
Yes. Stop giving a fuck and just do the voices. They don't have to be good, but you will get good if you can be consistent.
>>
File: JimmyO.jpg (36 KB, 435x653) Image search: [Google]
JimmyO.jpg
36 KB, 435x653
>>47681701
>>47681690

From the North of England, playing with Americans and Canadians, if it helps they first thought I was Irish.
>>
>>47681234
Do accents instead of funny voices. Check this out: http://accent.gmu.edu/browse.php
And keep practicing
>>
>>47681234
Speaking has one very big similarity to singing:

You have to know how to carry your voice, and you find out how to do that by paying attention on how your voice resonates in your head.

If you do a deep voice, for example, your voice resonates deeper in your throat and more to the front where the larynx lies, while a high pitched voice will go to the back of your palate. Everything in between those two spots moves through your mouth, but always behind the teeth.

This comes in incredibly handy when doing impressions of accents, because a native speaker of one language doing another will also carry his voice in his "native" way and not in the fashion that his other language will.

Apart from this, switch up your larynx position and tongue placement. This drastically helps with a.) carrying your voice and b.) changing the overall resonance room of your mouth and throat.

Don't hold back, go completely overboard initially. You'll learn how to do the fine-tuning as you progress.

Also always do what >>47681543, >>47681752 and >>47681789 say and keep practicing.
>>
>>47681900
>Don't hold back, go completely overboard initially
Just be careful not to throw your voice out.
>>
File: fassburton.jpg (75 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
fassburton.jpg
75 KB, 1024x683
>>47681944
We aren't impersonating Brian Blessed, just how fucking overboard can you go?
>>
>>47681994
>We aren't impersonating Brian Blessed

Then you're not trying hard enough
>>
>>47682015
Is it any coincidence that there is a very large School for the Deaf right by Brian Blessed's childhood house?
>>
>>47681944
Right, right! Forgot about that. I was thinking more about doing accents too broadly or voices going deeper as you want. It's mostly about really getting a feeling which muscle does what when moved a certain way and I believe you sort of need to overdo that bit to really understand what's going on.
>>
>>47682043
Pure coincidence, as is the reinforced plexiglass and 3 block ban on glass bottles.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4red1wpfE
This is sort of a career thing as well, but this is a nice primer on voice acting and stuff.
>>
>>47681234
I don't, generally, I focus on a particular character's vocabulary and cadence more than trying to give them a bad faux Irish accent or whatever.
>>
>>47681234
only text
>>
>>47681234
Know when you're awful. Try not to be awful. If that's not possible, don't try. Remember, what your players like is different than a scale of good/bad.
>>
>>47681900
Another thing I'd like to touch on (not that anon) but it's also really important to know your vocal range. With practice you can certainly broaden it a bit, but it's also good to know where your limitations are. If you're mostly mid rangey or even higher pitched, it wouldn't be the best idea dipping low all the time and vocal frying the shit out of your speech half the time trying to force a manly character.

Learning what your actual voice sounds like, its range, etc are all extremely disheartening at first, but understand -everyone- goes through that. To this day I still don't like my voice, but I do what I must.
>>
>>47682137
If I ever get to ST I'm going to do accents

>tfw forever a player
>>
>>47682214
That's a good point. It's probably important to mention that when I say "carry your voice", I also mean to figure out a way to sound different in ways that feel comfortable to you, channelling your natural voice into a different persona rather than forcing it into a new shape that it's not made to assume. Work with your voice, not over it.
>>
Now that we're not buried by quests, think we might see a resurgence of VA threads? Those were fun.
>>
>>47683123
I would love that, too. But I don't think there will be - I saw a vocaroo thread the other day and it pretty much died after barely four posts of one-line posts, neither requesting nor offering lines.

The space taken up by Quest-threads doesn't mean other threads won't take their place and still blot out VA threads because VA threads are very, very slow by their very nature. They need people having scripts and they have to be up around the time that people reading and recording them.
>>
>>47683211
I think that's mostly due to them dying out about a year ago, and so most people probably stopped looking for them for a good while. Myself included.

If we get a dedicated enough group on it constantly bumping and creating the threads, it may start slowly but I think it has potential. At least it doesn't have to get bumped every hour or die.
>>
Yes I do, it's lots of fun and my players love it. Practice, silly.
>>
>>47681234
Nah. My regular voice is already horrid enough, my "voices" would break any game.
>>
>>47681234

Practice daily, have water on hand during game time, stay away from thick liquids like milk when making voices.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.