[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Airships. Some people like em, some don't. Airship Thread:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 134
File: flag_ship_by_waffle0708-d4r58wh.png (2 MB, 1890x1417) Image search: [Google]
flag_ship_by_waffle0708-d4r58wh.png
2 MB, 1890x1417
Airships. Some people like em, some don't.

Airship Thread: Diesel Punk Edition.
>>
>>
I heard u BBs like high res schematics.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>47675813
How do they stay up?

These don't look gas filled,

This pic is an armored zeppelin, yours look... different OP.
>>
>>
>>47675920

What difference does it make? You really think strapping some ballons inside a fucking battleship would lift it up? Have you seen a real life zeppelin? The baloon is huge compared to the cabin and armor is fucking heavy so it's like slaping a ferrari sticker to a car an claiming it's more ferrari than the one without the sticker.
>>
>>47675950
>>47675881
>>47675868
>>47675851
>>47675822
>>47675813
Its like Ghibli and Last Exile had a baby... I'm wet.
>>
>>47675955
I've never heard anyone give an even half decent scifi explanation either, what DOES lift them up?

>>47675920
go away.
>>
>>
>>
>>
Play NT OST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=408tWOubRDM

Looking at these pics...
>I will never live in airship world...
>>
File: Skyshipgalerider.png (339 KB, 1008x784) Image search: [Google]
Skyshipgalerider.png
339 KB, 1008x784
I'm not interested in your Dieselpunk. I'll post Edgy skyships in every single one of these threads until the setting gets the respect it deserves.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 1136x640
Love 'em...
>>
>>47676028
man, those are my least favorite kind too...

But, hey in the name of tolerance. Welcome aboard skyfriend.
>>
>>47676061
Thanks. To each his own.
>>
>>
>>47675969
>I've never heard anyone give an even half decent scifi explanation either, what DOES lift them up?

Your choices are basically
1: Unobtainium
2: Magic
3: I don't give a shit, armoured zeppelins are the coolest!

They're all valid.
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: ftl189_sky.jpg (190 KB, 620x375) Image search: [Google]
ftl189_sky.jpg
190 KB, 620x375
>>
>>47676027
Airships are entirely possible, just not on Earth.
>>
>>47676189
ooooh science! pls educate me.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>47676204
In order for an airship to actually float it has to weigh less than the area that would normally be taken up by atmospheric gas. Since on Earth we breath oxygen and nitrogen we're shit out of luck for trying to make a ship that doesn't either have a ton of gasses that we DON'T breath, or has to make a ton of weight compromises in order to float.

If we were to live on a planet with an atmosphere that was composed of gasses that were heavier than the air we breath, we could make vessels that float just because they're filled with the stuff we need to live.

On Mars the atmosphere is way too thin for us to make a vessel that was light enough to float just on air alone and not kill us from a lack of pressure.

HOWEVER, on Venus there's a point in its atmosphere that the pressure level is just right for us to live, and since it's made up roughly 90% carbon dioxide, we can get a vessel floating on Venus just because it has air in it.

Now, since breathable air alone is a lifting gas on Venus that makes helium or hydrogen into SUPER lifting gasses. As in, you can lift a fucking Soyuz rocket with just a few hydrogen balloons kind of lifting power.

You can build anything you want on Venus and it'll probably float. The only downside is that you need the outer hull to be acid resistant, but really that's not that big of a deal, we've got a laundry list of cheap acid resistant materials.
>>
>>47676310
Good to know!

I guess you could use some sort of scifi lift-machine as an explanation as well.
>>
>>47676042
Hey, that project got paused/cancelled by Lockmart, but it's nearly finished in the UK now.

I don't have pics on me, but I have some from the last airship thread
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47528700/#47536701
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 1464801873233.jpg (309 KB, 1360x772) Image search: [Google]
1464801873233.jpg
309 KB, 1360x772
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>47675920
It's literally the fucking same thing in every setting with airships: "magic unobtainium powered engines" or alternatively "organs taken from flying whales" which is actually the same except the engine is unobtainium itself.
>>
>>47676718
Magical floating rocks or crystals are also used sometimes.
>>
>>47676718
>>47676761
Last Exile had a pretty cool soft scifi idea

http://lastexile.wikia.com/wiki/Claudia
>>
OP here, do you guys want me to keep going? I don't feel like much of tg has a boner for this like I do...
>>
>>47676131
Personally, if I was in a game with them, I think it should be defined.

Fictional Lighter-than-Helium Gas? Ok, but we have to make sure there are no leaks. Also, is the gas lethal to humans?

Special metal that has massive lift/anti-grav when electrified? Ok, key is keeping the electric generators going, if they fail the ship falls out of the sky. Diesel-electric engines spewing smoke! Need the diesel to keep running too.

These aspects would also have an impact on ship design and battle tactics as well.

Maybe the electrified anti-grav metal can only reach a ceiling of 5,000 feet from sea level, so big mountains are still impassable, etc.

It doesn't need to be real or physics heavy, but to me it's part of the world as much as the cool art. It's all fuel to send the imagination racing!
>>
>>
>>
>>
And now I have a bunch of smaller planes, all done by the same artist.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>47676859
Reasonable enough. The types I've personally used have both been based heavily on enchantments. In the 1st case a large amount of runic stuff complete with large amounts of redundant magic circles. Certain portions of the critical hit table were re-fluffed to represent these circles being broken, though any boarding party could also do so deliberately.

The main limit of these ships is that they needed living mages on the ship to control it. Once enchanted it would just maintain current position near indefinitely (though weather could eventually destroy those circles), but mages were required to move it. Players encountered a floating wreck at one point and had intensely dangerous investigations.

The second type was powered by the good old magic crystal variety and latent local magic streams. Environmental magic was a huge part of that world as were spirits, and there were some simple rules for how much was around, and how quickly it ran out. So flying ships were basically really mana intensive spells. The crystals (condensed souls, but hey how bout you stop asking questions about that) were reserve power, capable of fueling a ship for X amount of hours in drained or null magic zones.

Both have been water ships, but in the sky, big and lumbering and using naval combat rules instead of dog fighting ones.
>>
>>47676761
Again that's just unobtainium.
>>
>>47676310
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg
>>
File: blackjack_dessus.jpg (135 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
blackjack_dessus.jpg
135 KB, 640x480
>>47675813

Best airship comin' through, out of the way peasants
>>
>>
>>
>>47677289
>The crystals (condensed souls, but hey how bout you stop asking questions about that)
tell me about the crystals
>>
File: 1420174576789.jpg (134 KB, 822x1100) Image search: [Google]
1420174576789.jpg
134 KB, 822x1100
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (813 KB, 1597x1091) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
813 KB, 1597x1091
>>47677644
That's pretty good
>>
>>47677593
oh, you kill something over the seedling of a certain flower, sentient blood is more potent of course, until it germinates, and then it will grow into a blood flower, which while cared for normally with water and fertilizer is a bit finicky and hard to cultivate. Grow one to fruiting though, and you get little crystals which contain absurd amount of magical power.

Crushing a crystal would release the magic into the environment, or through a little ritual you could absorb it, which took some time, but was still way quicker than natural absorption.
>>
>>47676310

What you're talking about is basically a Submarine, but in super dense gas instead of liquid.
>>
>>
anyone knows some airship centric system or something?
something to pull of some skies of arcadia shit, but dieselpunk

>inb4 gurps
>>
>>47677058
>>47677071
>>47677085

The fact that this artist has different "nations" with different styles of aircraft gives me the impression that they're an awful lot of world building going on in that person's head. Would be a shame if that only existed in the form of artwork, but it's good artwork none the less.
>>
>>47677943
Artist is awesome. Apparently he's had a few people proposition him to make games from the world he built, but it always falls apart. A shame too, this style could make some seriously good vidya content, but AAA studios are too busy wanking to FPS and cult favorites.

http://aoiwaffle0608.deviantart.com/?rnrd=179653
>>
>>47677885

I've done it with Savage Worlds, but I can't say if it's any better or worse than GURPS. You're probably looking for a system dedicated to the topic, not fitting it into a generic system.
>>
>>47677811
There really isn't much of a difference between a submarine and a rigid airship when the outside air isn't breathable.
>>
>>47677980

Just started checking his DA out, definitely impressed.
>>
>>47677885
>>47677981
OP here, the reason I'm posting all this art is because I have a very rough system in dev atm. Ship combat rules getting out of hand though, tracking 3d movements with a sheet of paper is... not easy or fun.
>>
>>47677811
>basically a Submarine
Please don't say this, as a former submariner the differences trigger me
>>
File: The Few.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Few.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47677885

The Few is my goto for airborn/spacefighters/etc. games. Its set up for ww2 dogfighting, but that's pretty much what everyone pretends the other stuff is like too.

If you want to get more tactical, larger scale warships floating around blowing the crap out of each other, you can try and find a rules set for Leviathans. No longer supported but I hear good things about the rules set.
>>
>>
>>47678025
i think i can understand the whole altitude think

since its airship to airship intead of somethingK to the ground, why not use 100m highter than enemy/initial altitude, for example? wouldnt it be easier?

just thowing ideas here
>>
>>47678025

Attack Vector Tactical does hard 3d space combat for actual if you want to look at a rules set for inspiration.

But if you get too realistic/3d with airships as presented, mostly like ww1-2 battleships firing broadsides, it stops making much sense fast.
>>
>>47678025
>tracking 3d movements with a sheet of paper is... not easy or fun

I imagine. I'm thinking about it as a normal flat grid like any other map you'd use for minis in an RPG, but where each ship has an "altitude" coordinate in addition to its position on the game board. the board wouldn't represent it visually, but you could have two ships occupying the same space but at different altitudes.

Of course, moving a humanoid figure on a grid wouldn't accurately portray how a massive warship handles. They wouldn't exactly be able to change direction on a dime.
>>
>>47676645
seems more like a spaceship to me
>>
>>47678025
Assuming everything is within the lower layers of the atmosphere you really only need vague altitude bands.
>>
File: 1465302762993.jpg (210 KB, 1456x1042) Image search: [Google]
1465302762993.jpg
210 KB, 1456x1042
>>47678133
>>47678138
>>47678199
>>47678218
Yeah, i've thought of going pure simulation, and also of far abstractism. Neither works well, now to just find the perfect balance of realism and rules-light. Add in that fighters will be skirmishing meanwhile and plenty of boarding action (my setting will be boarding heavy because FUCK YES ziplines down to enemy airship, cutter tool to punch through carapace, running around breaching doors, fucking shit up, kidnap captain.) And things get really confusing. Honestly, focusing on the world rules as a whole, will probably do combat last, as the setting is being built to be just as accommodating for a mercantile (weight to cost ratios of goods, tax areas, trade routes and jet stream) or political (trying to have a rich history for each nation in the world, as well as a mysterious precursor civilization that left ruins) campaign, as it is for combat.
>>
>>47678288
>accommodating for a mercantile (weight to cost ratios of goods, tax areas, trade routes and jet stream) or political (trying to have a rich history for each nation in the world

I've always wanted to do airships with economics, good luck to you.
>>
>>47678288
if you >>47678288
are going everthing happens in the skies, try to go with altitude relative to enemy/object/giant evil mosquito or what you have

it will keep it managable i think
>>
>>47678318
Thanks! I've been working on it slowly, maybe have beta rules down soon for the world, probably sans combat like I said. Totally classless as an RPG characterwise, with a dots system similar to whitewolf, though maybe that comparison is a bad idea since dicepools work differently.

The MAJOR feature I'm working on, is completely random charts for EVERYTHING, so as a DM, you can run a game without having a story in mind, or overlay the story over the actions of the world. Random charts for daily weather, global politics, tax changes, port fees, pirates!, military patrols, stowaways, getting your cargo hold robbed while drinking in a port town, disease, local megafauna (giant fucking avians), lost technology hunts, and more!

Plus, I want to make sure theres an extensive system for tile by tile building of your airship. Purposefully reinforce certain parts of the ship to make breaching more difficult, all the while remembering weight restrictions....

Lots of work to be done.
>>
>>47678217
It's probably an old trope, but having the first 'airship' be the spaceship the humans arrived in is great. Everything else is an inferior copy by people that don't really understand the technology but can figure out a few pieces of it.
>>
>>47678412
Last exile is the only place that did that afaik, but its a GREAT trope if it is one. Honestly, the only real airship trope that's played out, is the association between airships and steampunk. I don't even mind steampunk its just... been tainted for me.
>>
>>47678412
"Well, we don't know what they were using to power their anti-gravity drive back then and there's definitely none left, but we've been doing okay with whale oil and coal so far."
>>
>>47678384
if you ever got it together, do post it here
>>
File: iwlAh.jpg (613 KB, 3690x2198) Image search: [Google]
iwlAh.jpg
613 KB, 3690x2198
>>47678462
That's just because steampunk routinely degenerates into a mess of meaningless gears, brass and tophats without consideration for actual age of steam technology.

Actual victorian era warships are fucking great, they have hugely varied designs, they're got guns all over them, have sexy curves, belch clouds of black smoke and most of them had fucking rams.

But instead of building their airships on that, most shitty steampunk settings just dangle a boat from a balloon.
>>
File: hKWV2Oa.jpg (404 KB, 1450x1233) Image search: [Google]
hKWV2Oa.jpg
404 KB, 1450x1233
>>47678624
toot toot motherfucker it's 1887 and I have 27 guns and six torpedo tubes
>>
File: 078.jpg (92 KB, 800x1155) Image search: [Google]
078.jpg
92 KB, 800x1155
>>47678412
Last Exile certainly comes to mind, in a way.
>>
>>
>>
File: Vidya tenk.jpg (97 KB, 1031x684) Image search: [Google]
Vidya tenk.jpg
97 KB, 1031x684
Man this thread is good, recently got a wwl-ll kick and was thinking about making a setting. Perhaps somthing along the lines of valkeria chronicles meets skies of arcadia.

tell me anons, would it be a better idea for the stereotypical 'sky islands' or should the airships simply be a part of a larger entity?
Kinda like the idea of a party getting and repairing a early wwll kind of tank like pic related.
>>
>>47679408
my idea, large continent size islants floating low, over a cloud sea, and many small island/ archipellagos on mid/high alts, that way you get all

plus a journey into the abyssal surface that is ground level is more likely
but thats just me
>>
>>47679408
The tank idea is cool. If they've got a big enough ship they can load it on there.
>>
>>47679475
that could work, perhaps have the 'cloud sea' be some kind of toxic no go zone.

Better question then. What should the surface be like?
>>
>>47679408
>tell me anons, would it be a better idea for the stereotypical 'sky islands' or should the airships simply be a part of a larger entity?
Personally, I'm not actually all that fond of sky islands, so I'd recommend having a normal landmass, and airships being only part of a larger army. If you want, you can have some natural or artificial flying islands above the normal landmass: kinda Miyazaki's Laputa or Howl style.
>>
>>47679475
skis of arcadia?
>>
>>47679566
IF its toxic, old not-quite rotten skyscrappers and buldings, wrecks of battles both of before and after humans got to the skies, big ol' beasts, all kinds of very advaced tech?

its an abyss, you can fill it with whatever you want

im on the old humanity ruins side
>>
>>47679645
also giant flying abyssal fish,
nothing can says this place aint right like some truck sized land anglerfish
>>
>>47679827
im now thinking the gas harvested for airships come from flying fish... fish farm / fishing industry, ho!
>>
>>47676028
>Edgy

Edgedancer was the best ship.

Fucking fight me.
>>
OP here, in my setting, there are no flying islands, as that begs the question, what keeps them flying, and the setting is medium soft scifi. Regular landmasses, on a mostly regular world. The archipelago status of the land distribution however, paired with the fact that theres 2 moons (making for less predictable, more violent tides and waves) in addition to some biogenetically engineered megafauna (left by the starfaring people's that originally settled the planet) and a toxic global bloom of some sort of algae like organism (also the legacy of some bio warfare far in the past) leaves the seas nigh untraversable, hence the necessity for airships.

Smaller airships and even planes will do for short journeys, but only larger craft can navigate the major (and majorly stormy) jetstream path of the planet's skies.
>>
File: MrYukSticker.jpg (13 KB, 197x200) Image search: [Google]
MrYukSticker.jpg
13 KB, 197x200
>>47680113
I guess its worth pointing out that the world is like 50% of the world of Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind status deadworld. Perhaps right on the brink of saveable still. There's defintely a toxic jungle as well that I pretty much stole from that movie, however its not as infectious as in Nausicaa, and its spores don't produce new toxic jungle elsewhere, its just toxic because its growing on some nasty shit.
>>
>>
>>47680113
I like the two moon idea.
>>
>>47680318
The two moons actually play a much larger role in terms of culturebuilding. Or more accurately, one of them. I'm actually thinking it maybe a moon of ANOTHER planet, or perhaps just another planet, as its patterns are less predicable (haven't gotten to how much i want to explain this or leave it as a spooky mystery).

The only form of "magic" or "psionics" in the game, is a mutation (once again likely a legacy of the first humans on the planet meddling with genetic engineering) that allows one to use their brain more efficiently, this effect being amplified the closer said strangely-orbiting moon gets to the planet. The powers wax and wane depending on the moons proximity to the planet, enhancing brain function, empathy, instincts and even allowing these individuals to detect the presence of pheromones in the air by their slight changes in body chemistry.

The problem is, when the moon gets TOO close, their powers start to get unmanageable, emotions flow more vividly and sometimes they can go mad. And on the rare occasion it gets too too close... pop. every single individual with the mutation (about 1 per 10,000 of the world population) just dies. Their brain fries from too much cosmic energy, and they all perish. And since in many places this "power" is part of religion, many of the different faiths will have vast libraries of knowledge from these people, as to train the next generation of "psions". Still working on a good name for "those people".

Its presumable that one of these "psions" constructed the first airship lift engine (or at least appropriated its design properly from ancient technology) in a heightened state of awareness.
>>
File: image.jpg (367 KB, 710x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
367 KB, 710x1024
>>47679170
Heh, 'armed'
>>
>>
>>47680103
Yes it was. In my headcanon the Edgedancer and her crew flew around being badass for a couple of years before fucking Caterbird showed up for the plot of the third book. That ship really was a beauty and didn't deserve to die so quickly.
>>
>>47675822
I'm going to attempt to model this in google sketchup... wish me luck.
>>
>>
File: float feesh.jpg (118 KB, 800x580) Image search: [Google]
float feesh.jpg
118 KB, 800x580
Bump

Now hear me out. What if instead of floating islands or normal landmass, the land drifted across the sea?

Think of it, a world with floating (in water) islands and continents (likely formed by islands colliding) Sea travel would be near impossible in long distances because you couldn't find your way back so airships came along.

aslo skyfish because fantasy and fuck you I like skyfish.
>>
>>47681132
I give up. Google sketchup is an obfuscated piece of shit.

Plus how do I take anything with the word ketchup in it seriously...
>>
>>47681483
Yeah, and skyfish always bring along the ability to use their float organs to make ships float as well.
>>
>>
File: 1457567180615.jpg (79 KB, 600x743) Image search: [Google]
1457567180615.jpg
79 KB, 600x743
>>47679827
>>47679645
Maybe there's a race of humanoid anglerfish down there like pick related.
>>
>>47681605
remant civilization of the old human, tecnologicaly the same level but access to super powerful ancient relic ships

if them invading isnt a high level/endgame material, i dont know what it is
>>
File: 7c064fc2.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1135) Image search: [Google]
7c064fc2.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1135
>>47678624
post more qt hotels
>>
>>47681676
>"These days no one travels down very far past the light. Expeditions and those foolish enough to try speak of great leviathan like creatures, giant ruin metal constructs, and the dreaded hostile black ships who are silent to all attempts to hail"
>>
>>47681800
>even so, such incredible tresures, lad! frigates that leave battleships look like mere tincans, machines of unthinkable toughness and power, statues of gold and silver, rubyes the size of you head!, if that aint worthy of adventure i dont know what it is!
>>
>>47681800
>>47681874
20000 leagues above the sea
>>
>>47681964
>20 kilometers below the clouds
now that sounds nice
>>
>>
>>
>>47676786
I'm annoyed they forgot how to make computers and the like but remembered how to make primitive anti-gravity machines.
>>
>>47682631
They didn't, they never knew. The guild controls all the Ship Units, so if you piss them off, they pull the enginge from your ship, it returns to them, and you fall from the sky.

The guild keeps all the information from everyone.
>>
>>
File: sunward_by_mikedoscher-d7wk4ob.jpg (203 KB, 2048x1200) Image search: [Google]
sunward_by_mikedoscher-d7wk4ob.jpg
203 KB, 2048x1200
>>
File: sinking_by_waffle0708-d7a4tt1.png (1 MB, 1248x816) Image search: [Google]
sinking_by_waffle0708-d7a4tt1.png
1 MB, 1248x816
>>
>>
>>
I'm impressed at just how many of these pictures there are. I love the style, thanks for posting them Anon.
>>
File: goliath.jpg (159 KB, 1056x414) Image search: [Google]
goliath.jpg
159 KB, 1056x414
>>
File: Yamato_during_Trial_Service.jpg (154 KB, 1176x706) Image search: [Google]
Yamato_during_Trial_Service.jpg
154 KB, 1176x706
>>47681727
Here's a big hotel
>>
>>47684000
Me too @_@ Now I can't find anything better. Its like my favorite parts of ghibli, minus my not so favorite parts, like what he COULD have done should he have chosen to make more mature movies.
>>
File: goliath2.jpg (215 KB, 1500x954) Image search: [Google]
goliath2.jpg
215 KB, 1500x954
>>47684137
>>
File: macon.jpg (82 KB, 740x600) Image search: [Google]
macon.jpg
82 KB, 740x600
USS Macon, one of the very few real life airborne aircraft carriers.
>>
>>47684153
U U
U U
>>
>>47683014
That's not a very well thought out carrier, and the scale just seems way off. If there's an elevator and hangar, it doesn't look big enough for more than 2 planes even without the wings.

It looks like it's designed for speed, so maybe the purpose is to outflank the enemy and launch an unexpected strike with a tiny wing of attack aircraft, like the I-400 submarines. At any rate, you probably wouldn't be able to land aircraft on that flying off deck, so they're non-recoverable.
>>
>>47684391
probably a deploy and forget carrier like you said
its a waste of resources but probs are that the plane has some amazing range, if you can lift a carrier kilometers up in the sky...

realisticaly, the guy who drew it had no idea o how carriers work
>>
>>47684433
>>47684391
How to make airborne aircraft carriers work

>No runway: Planes drop straight down out of the airship to get their initial speed boost from gravity rather than a catapult/their own engine.
>Recovery hook of a style like >>47684176
>Carrier drops them at high altitude, then drops. They do their mission and get recovered down low, so no need to waste fuel climbing at all.
>>
>>47676028
the books were great, although id say the setting really is edgy. Reminds me to go back and re-buy/read them, thanks.
>>
>>47684514
hmm, gonna make note of that. thanks anon.
>>
>>47684514
>Planes drop straight down out of the airship to get their initial speed boost from gravity rather than a catapult/their own engine.
If you've got a hook/crane arrangement you could lower the plane from the hangar, start the engine and then release it when it's up to speed. Seems safer than trying to start the engine while falling.
>>
>>47684514
they whould be very wide, and floor(?) heavy, with very high power/capacity engines and light armor to float so much at such high alts

problem would be fighters and bomber that cant might not be able too climb so damn high
>>
>>47684587
You can start the engine before dropping, of course.

Also: Folding wings that only unfold once you're lowered(NOT while you're falling)

>>47684628
Take a look at >>47684176

That zeppelin carries four scout planes and deploys them by dropping. Notice how high over New York City it is.
>>
>>47684646
still feels like its gotta climb way too high to work in airship to airship battle
>>
>>47684673
There's a reason that aircraft carriers made battleships obsolete. Once you have airborne aircraft carriers, they should replace battleships as the main combatant.
>>
File: Soaring Isles 3.png (1 MB, 1200x768) Image search: [Google]
Soaring Isles 3.png
1 MB, 1200x768
Flying sail-ships because magic.
>>
>>47684685
yeah, then strenghtening the fighters till they can OHK other fighters and carrier with ease, and back to AA specialiced cruisers

sounds like a good growth
>>
>>47684733
It's basically what happened.
>>
>>47684685
They'd have different ceilings of operation. Carriers would fly higher, since it's harder for shells to fly upwards, and they'd launch planes to attack battleships from above.

Battleships would fly lower because they're far more heavily armored and it's harder to lift them, but they'd be much stronger at attacking ground targets because you could continuously shell away. Eventually their guns would just aim up and down, not horizontally.

The biggest problem flying carriers would have is recovering their planes. They'd probably have a high loss rate in prolonged combat, and you'd see higher atmosphere airships designed to take on carriers from above the clouds, like submarines or destroyers, or maybe a lighter class of carrier that divebombs them without warning.
>>
>>47684768
plus its good on whateve the setting you wanna thow
>i want battleships everywhere!
interwar/early ww2 time analoge
>fighter where is at
after big war
>i heart cruisers!
bit modernish times
>>
>>47684808
>stealth carriers launching stealth bombers to slip past a carriers escorts and wreck it with a single bomb
Awesome
>>
>>47684808
>>47684842
I'm hard.
>>
>>
So I guess the military boogeyman would be an airship with amazing radar, targeting systems and huge guns.

It wouldn't need speed or armor, it'd lurk in a fogbank a long way away and fire a single salvo at an airship, inflicting massive damage before disappearing again, and nobody would ever see it.
>>
File: Bumblecrow.png (1 MB, 971x475) Image search: [Google]
Bumblecrow.png
1 MB, 971x475
>>
>>47684587
True but having the option to just dump your fighters might be preferable in a scenario where you don't have time to let them hang there while they warm up. Might be more risky for them but they'd be screwed anyways if their carrier is shot down.
>>
>>
>>47686225
oh sweet, anyone else have interiors?
>>
>>47685231
You always need speed. Ships that are trivially outmaneuvered get chased down and killed and slow down the rest of their fleet.
>>
Dropping what I've got.
>>
>>47686718
A little more unrealistic this time around.
>>
>>47686728
This is technically more of an Ekranoplan than an airship, but similar concept.
>>
>>47686728
What.... is that?

And what section keeps it up?
>>
>>47686728
>>47686718
>>47686759

Another Ekranoplan/WIG.

If you like this, you should check out the artist's dA:

http://wingsofwrath.deviantart.com/
>>
>>47686780
One more!

>>47686762
>What.... is that?
>And what section keeps it up?
darned if I know.
>>
>>47686762
The thing in the middle labeled "High pressure steam chamber".
>>
>>47686886
I think that's part of the powerplant. Maybe.
>>
File: 1461425487683.jpg (123 KB, 900x661) Image search: [Google]
1461425487683.jpg
123 KB, 900x661
>>47686414
>>
>>47686928
In a ship it's a propulsion plant, not a power plant.

And the thing in the middle is the propulsion component, I looked on the deviantart page.
>>
File: 1461425294583.jpg (602 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1461425294583.jpg
602 KB, 3840x2160
>>47687055
>>
File: 1461424591794.jpg (123 KB, 736x728) Image search: [Google]
1461424591794.jpg
123 KB, 736x728
>>47687069
>>
>>47686886
And high pressured steam does what to make a ship float? It can turn a turbine, but, there's no turbine on that thing.
>>
File: 1457138958859.jpg (339 KB, 546x840) Image search: [Google]
1457138958859.jpg
339 KB, 546x840
>>47681800
Automatons from a forgotten age roam the lower atmosphere
>>
>>47687097
>I just know that hydrogen is supposed to be pumped into a chamber together with superheated steam and together they make some plates inside vibrate at a certain frequency that makes them fly. Basically, it's "Applied Phlebotinum".
>It makes about as much sense as "Atlantean technology", "Martian technology", "cavorite", or other steampunk gimmicks for making ships fly that exist out there, but since this universe ranks pretty "soft" on the "Mohs Scale Of Science Fiction Hardness" and these ships are not my design anyway, I don't worry too much about it.

that's what the artist who drew it said on the deviantart page, it was a comission for some tabletop game and didn't really know any more about.
>>
>>47684137
>>47684159
I am really glad this thread didn't go without SOMEONE posting from the best dieslepunk show ever. This was THE ship to get me into Airships.
>>
File: weapons04.jpg (23 KB, 400x274) Image search: [Google]
weapons04.jpg
23 KB, 400x274
>TFW NO IRON VULTURE
This is my first airship ever, the 80's had the best shit.
>>
>>47688764
Oh wait I mistook the Goliath for the Iron Vulture. I feel so bad now.
>>
>>47687092
pretty sure this is from the Leviathan series
>>
This thread reminded me of an old anime movie I can't remember the name of. It follows the life of a boy living on some airship. There's a cool scene where the kid and his friend get in these gun pods and shoot at the flyin' grasshopper plane things. The kid also becomes an airship pirate at some point I believe. Theres a floating whale-contraption plot device. They real in floating water bubbles from the deck of the airship. Anyone recognize this?
>>
>>47684155
Well some of his concepts are straight out of the manga version of Nausicaa
>>
File: Elemental.Gelade.230922[1].jpg (620 KB, 2000x1407) Image search: [Google]
Elemental.Gelade.230922[1].jpg
620 KB, 2000x1407
>>47689487
I'd almost say that sounds like Elemental Gelade. But that was a series, not a movie, and it came out in 2005
>>
>>47689790
I don't think so. It had a very steampunk theme to it I think. I'll look into it more.
>>
>>47689487
Anon, I've seen a lot of anime and I have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>47689921

I recall a few specific scenes really. The boy had this sort of mischievous friend in childhood. They went to go play in these .30 cal gun pods when these flying machine gun-armed locust things attacked. The boy's friend ends up getting his turret pod shot up and his arm hit. I recall these flying locust/grasshopper things being menaced and that they came from a rarely sighted flying mechanical whale airship.

There's one scene of the main character and this old dude, family presumably, "fishing" on top of the air-ship. They throw their lines into these big floating bubbles of water.

I don't recall ever seeing the actual ground in the show/movie. It took place all in-air I believe. The main character was infatuated with some girl I think. He became a sort of pirate for a stint at one point. Trying to "find his place" I believe. That's really all I can recall. This can't seriously be some fever-dreamed Deja vu I'm having.
>>
>>47676718
If you're gonna boil half the concepts down into "unobtanium" yeah everything's going to be same.
>>
File: pilot1ship[1].jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pilot1ship[1].jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
>>47689961
Welp, I tried searching and couldn't find anything. But at least I know what I'm watching tonight.
>>
>>47690169
>TFW it's planelegs
I hate that anime universe so much
>>
>>
File: steampunk-airship-army.jpg (133 KB, 1086x672) Image search: [Google]
steampunk-airship-army.jpg
133 KB, 1086x672
>>47678624
Fucking this.
It's almost un-explainable but I know the exact feeling. I have to correct people almost every time I mention steampunk because a mess of gears obviously isn't.
>>
>>47692494
also dumping what pics I got
>>
>>47675969
If we're going sci-fi I'd go with "it's a different planet with a denser atmospheric makeup" hence all the gasmasks and rebreathers.
>>
File: KeithThompson_Airyacht_Stamboul.jpg (309 KB, 1143x726) Image search: [Google]
KeithThompson_Airyacht_Stamboul.jpg
309 KB, 1143x726
>>
>>47692562
Maybe a high Sulfur hexafluoride content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJTq2xQiQ0
>>
File: Muh Tanks 4.png (2 MB, 1602x864) Image search: [Google]
Muh Tanks 4.png
2 MB, 1602x864
>>47692529
>>
now that i think about it there is a fuckton of steampunk crap, but dieselpunk i think i can count'em with one hand

where the fuck is all the dieselpunk things?
>>
File: 1445822583138.jpg (111 KB, 468x742) Image search: [Google]
1445822583138.jpg
111 KB, 468x742
>>47692593
>>
>>
>>
>>47692591
Jesus, if you had a sulfur hexaflouride atmosphere you could float castles without even needing an envelope of air. You could probably even float fucking LANDMASSES if you filled their cores with Helium or even Neon.
>>
>>47676859
>Fictional Lighter-than-Helium
Hydrogen gas is very real, but only twice the lift of Helium.
>>
>>47692718
And lithium would provide a neat exothermic power resource. Oh and it's a greenhouse gas so the environment would be pretty barren and resource scarcity would explain the wars.

Also the higher the altitude the more you need an airplane vs a blimp, so you can have different types of ships like "submarines" and spy planes.

All kinds of fun shit.
>>
>>
File: 1409705238796.jpg (497 KB, 1509x807) Image search: [Google]
1409705238796.jpg
497 KB, 1509x807
>>
File: 1414868118388.jpg (403 KB, 1114x627) Image search: [Google]
1414868118388.jpg
403 KB, 1114x627
>>
>>47692793
I'm pretty sure in a sulfur hexaflouride atmosphere you'd be hard pressed to find a point in that atmosphere where you wouldn't float perfectly.

At 8 times the density of air you'd need the atmosphere to be an 8th of 1atm to even begin to make 1 atm of air NOT a lifting gas.
>>
>>47692904
Yeah it would work more like water and those big heavy battleships from up here >>47676283 floating more on the invisible "surface" of the sulfur layer. It would also explain why all the battleships are basically airborne ocean vessels floating at roughly the same altitude.
>>
>>47687474
What show is that, I want to know.
>>
>>47677885
Closest thing I know of is 'Warbirds'. It's more focused on fighters than airships, but the system does have rules for airships. It wouldn't be hard to do a few custom rules for an airship game.
>>
>>47693452
I thought it was the Iron Vulture from Tail Spin, so I was wrong to begin with.
>>
hm, good to see this thread still going.

Tell me ya'll. full ww1-2 guns, or fantasy melee with gun support.
>>
>>47694009
id like the idea of melee with WW1-2 guns
its sounds more fun
>>
File: RML_16_inch_gun_Clowes_Vol_VII.jpg (190 KB, 1194x606) Image search: [Google]
RML_16_inch_gun_Clowes_Vol_VII.jpg
190 KB, 1194x606
>>47694009
Do it properly and have muzzle loading naval rifles.
>>
>>47675920
Cavorite. Almost literally in some cases.
>>
>>47694073
This was a thing. he naval cutlass didn't exit service with the US navy until the early 1940s.
>>
File: 156.jpg (68 KB, 1024x380) Image search: [Google]
156.jpg
68 KB, 1024x380
>>47694009
>>47694073

WW1 era/style or earlier shotguns/rifles/pistols might be cool. I'm thinking boarding actions in close quarters where there are guns, but swords and bayonets are certainly not impractical.

Oh, and you're on an airship. So having high velocity rifle rounds passing through the ship might be a problem. Shotguns and pistols would be favorable because they penetrate less, but take a while to reload, which may lead to melee combat.
>>
>>47694009
Inter-war guns might be the way to go. WWI battleships still manually loaded bags of cordite behind the projectile rather than having it all encased in a single shell.

Think about the rate of fire you want to have and build the technology around that. Slower loading might mean more guns, so that could be a factor in your decision too.
>>
>>47692603

Nobody gives a shit about dieslepunk because its pmuch modernism with fins

Nerds are bad at a e s t h e t i c s so they go for steampunk to pretend they're fancy by having old shit covered in more shit that also has boobs rather than dieslepunk stuff, which is mostly just suits or undershirts for when you're alone at home and none of the other 1920s-1950s american puritans can see you. Its not flashy enough, and doesn't come with fake britsh accents to be pseudointellectual with.
>>
>>47676552
I really dig these Infinite sky settings with floating islands/continents a lot
>>
>>47694279
thats fucking bad, dieselplunk have the same if not more potential for interesting stories

the adventures of some junkers, a wrong man in a bad time, the bullshit of company life and a fuckton of basics i forget
>>
File: img_0611.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
img_0611.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>47694258
World war two battleships did too. A giant cartridge would not be practical.
>>
File: Des_Moines_Autolaoder.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Des_Moines_Autolaoder.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>47694437
Well, up to a certain caliber.
>>
>>47694595
Yes autoloaders existed for small caliber guns, but that would be impractical on big guns.

There are some that put the powder in metal containers instead of canvas bags. It's probably safer but extra weight.
>>
>>47694437
I think even modern big guns (like howitzers) do that because giant cartridges are simply stupid.
>>
File: BB-61 Iowa 1962.gif (30 KB, 1829x520) Image search: [Google]
BB-61 Iowa 1962.gif
30 KB, 1829x520
>>47694691
Fun fact! The Iowa class was used through the 80s, and was even armed with nuclear shells at one point. There were several plans to modernize it with flight decks and VLS cells, but it was deemed uneconomical.
>>
File: BB-61 Iowa 1981.gif (27 KB, 1829x520) Image search: [Google]
BB-61 Iowa 1981.gif
27 KB, 1829x520
>>
>>47694691
There's also the fact that when loading artillery you have all different kinds of shells (like cluster bombs, HE, illumination, whatever) and having each one of them come with it's own integrated propellant would be nuisance. Also, I'm not expert on artillery, but I'd figure different amount of propellant is used to shoot at different ranges.
>>
>>47694749
>the age of aviation battleships

bullshit aside on a airship steing a aviation anything would be pretty good
>>
>>47694691
>>47694766
Alright, time to settle this mess.
Cartridges aren't stupid, why would you not want a higher rate of fire? The weight just get's impractical at a certain size, but that's when mechanization comes in.
And as for different kinds, all shells come with the necessary mixture, it's only a matter of calculating the angle of the gun.
>>
>>47694805
More like essential. Without it you wouldn't even have lifeboats.
>>
File: Arty_Party.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Arty_Party.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>47694830
And visual example.
>>
>>47694836
Parachutes should do the trick for those.
>>
File: 1422822514778.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1422822514778.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>47694845
>lovethegun
>>
File: PzH2000Munition.jpg (2 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
PzH2000Munition.jpg
2 MB, 2576x1932
>>47694830
Still for some reason even modern artillery always uses shells without integrated propellant, so there must be something that makes them bad for artillery usage.
>>
File: BB-61 Iowa 1982.gif (23 KB, 1829x520) Image search: [Google]
BB-61 Iowa 1982.gif
23 KB, 1829x520
These designs never happened because keeping the Iowas running would have been too expensive and required too much crew. Missile warfare makes large ships a liability. Even if raillguns bring naval gun combat back, it's unlikely we'll see anything larger than a cruiser. You just need a nuclear reactor and one or two raillguns. They can fire quickly so there is no need for extra barrels, nor do you need large armored magazines for the powder.

Currently the standard warship seems to be the frigate, armed with a 5 inch gun, CIWS system, VLS cells, A helipad, and optional torpedo tubes. Sometimes they call it a destroyer, but size wise it's a frigate and role wise it's a cruiser. Adding raillguns, lasers, and stealth too it won't change much. Although it would be interesting to see them become semi-submersible to increase survivability.
>>
>>47694881
Depends who you ask, the British tanks don't use integrated and americans do, it's like with auto-loaders, some don't deem it necessary for one reason or another
>>
File: Laser_Defense_System.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Laser_Defense_System.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>47694883
>Missile warfare makes large ships a liability.
So you say.
>>
>>47694874
If there's a ground in the setting, or it isn't covered in water or some horrible gas or a desolate wasteland, yes, but there's generally a decent excuse for all-airship settings.
>>
>>47694924
is that laser better than shooting bullets or another missile at it?
>>
>>47694935
I was kinda pondering if nations would just incorporate a parachute into the standard uniform or not.
>>
>>47694924
You can mount that same laser on a smaller ship.

Also, hypersonic sea skimming missiles are much harder to lase out of the sky. The one in that video is laughably slow.

>>47694945
Lasers are better, particularly when the missile will only be over the horizon for a fraction of a second, but it's still better to not be detected, or be less expensive than the missile they are shooting at you.
>>
>>47694945
No. Navies are pushing to develop laser based CIWS, but they're currently limited by the power output of the lasers, which just isn't high enough to make them viable just yet. Probably going to have to wait another 10+ years on that one.

Also gun based CIWS actually isn't very effective at taking out missiles either, particularly modern missiles.
>>
>>47695035
Actually I heard that laser CIWS are more or less ready for prime time now. Already shooting down UAVs and rockets. Modern warships have plenty of power, even without a reactor.

The weapon system that's still having problems is raillguns. The rails wear out too quickly to deliver the kind of sustained firepower promised.
>>
File: laserdemo.jpg (77 KB, 1024x580) Image search: [Google]
laserdemo.jpg
77 KB, 1024x580
>>47695081
>>47695035

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Weapon_System

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-is-why-the-navy-cant-have-nice-railguns

Raillguns use more power than lasers. You can bolt a laser onto a regular frigate or truck and power it from the diesel generator. But a raillgun will need a nuclear reactor or a fuckton of capacitors.
>>
>>47695155
so unless they manage to pull of some star wars blasters out their asses they are stuck with nuclear railgun heavy cruisers/battleships

awesome, yes but missile defense how
it IS a floating nuke
>>
>>47695325
>it IS a floating nuke
Actually no. The nuclear materials used for reactors just isn't enriched enough to go boom. Get breached and it can get radioactive as fuck, depending on the safety measures the navy gives out, but no there ain't gonna be no mushroom cloud.
>>
>>47695081
>>47695155
It's an issue of the ship not being able to supply power, it's that current solid state laser systems don't have high enough power output to actually be viable as a CIWS system. Inflicting damage on UAVs and detonating an artillery shell requires much, much less power than actually stopping a missile.
>>
>>47695403
It's still a good defense against slow moving rockets and UAVs. And a more mature technology than raillguns.
>>
>>47695431
which is great, but it still occupies the same amount of space as a gun based CIWS, which can also shoot slow moving rockets and UAVs and can also destroy missiles.

There will be a point where gun based CIWS just gets totally replaced by laser CIWS, but it's not quite here yet.
>>
>>47677459
Personally I always liked the Falcon or the Highwind more.
>>
After a bit of thinking of what kind of cultures could develop i have a basic idea I wanna toss to you anons. Not gonna lie, it kinda ended up as a not! Christian based thing.

Im thinking of floating, moving islands over a sea of dense, black water. Basically the creation myth goes that in the past all water was good, but before men could be created a servant of the creator was cast down to the fledgling world, his blood tainting the seas into a dense sludge. Men arose from the last remaining good water, using it up and leaving their home barren. The creator saw this and sent his son, not! Jesus, down to their land to weep. His tears were drunk by the barren earth and deep below it grew into an endless aquifer. The people learned to harness the sacred winds in mills to drill and pull forth the life giving water.

Gust a basic concept but still, Im thinking i would use the dark sea water as the airship and vehicle fuel. Alchemist tampered of course not base. So i cant really see these guys using it since its literally evil blood to them.

Could tamed skyfish riders and balloon defense platforms hold off an airship fleet you think? definitely cant see them being aggressive.
>>
File: MACS vs Bags.gif (26 KB, 731x509) Image search: [Google]
MACS vs Bags.gif
26 KB, 731x509
>>47694766
>I'm not expert on artillery, but I'd figure different amount of propellant is used to shoot at different ranges.
You figure correctly.
Pic related is a comparison of the current MACS charges used in 155mm howitzers to the old "bag" system of color-coded powders.
With MACS, we can just use the correct number of increments, with no waste, as every Hotel is identical to every other Hotel, and every Lima is identical to every other Lima. With the old bags you had to dispose of any excess off of a charge, since each segment of the bag contained a different amount of propellant. So the 6th and 7th portion of a White Bag, for example, couldn't be used to fire a 2 White Bag mission.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 134

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.