[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TO THE STRONGEST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
Would a setting based on the height of Alexander the Great's empire, or actually set in that time period as fantastical history, be interesting?

You would have an exotic mix of Greek, Egyptian, Indian, Persian, and even Jewish cultures and all the trappings and mythologies associated with them. You could be fighting serpopards and mummies one moment, rakshasas and nagas the next, gorgons and cyclopes another day, and peris and manticores yet another, just like some kitchen sink setting.

It seems like an ideal way to bring out several less-highlighted cultures in a fantastical world.
>>
File: 5vt2.jpg (514 KB, 1202x900) Image search: [Google]
5vt2.jpg
514 KB, 1202x900
I tend to use that time period a lot, because I love alld the weird shit that happened in that time, coupled with Romans and the rest of the med world at that time it's a very interesting period to steal from. A year and some ago we started a thread about it, but in the Diadochi times with the same premise.
>>
>would a setting that isn't standard medieval fanatsy which we have seen a million times be interesting?
Yes, OP.
>>
File: Clone_empire.png (746 KB, 742x642) Image search: [Google]
Clone_empire.png
746 KB, 742x642
Heh, there is a setting in GURPS biotech where Hippocrates researched genetics instead of creating the Hippocratic Oath.

Which results people deciding make clones of Alexander the great rule the surviving Mascedonian empire instead of normal people
>>
>>47674547
> A year and some ago we started a thread about it, but in the Diadochi times with the same premise.

That might even be better, if we take the period immediatly after Alexanders death. The known world was united by a young, ambitious emperor, but with his death his empire collapsed as well. Now his generals are fighting over the vast terriories of his doamin, trying to scrape out empires of their own, while those people on the fringes are taking back their independence.

If you don't follow history verbatim, you could make it so he has a little more time to prepare civil cervices and logistics in his empire, to prepare for his next campaigns against the rest of India and the western Mediteranian. That would help explain why the party consists of a Greek peltast, a Egyptian spearman and an Indian elephant driver.
>>
>>47675258
>>47674471
I use similar setup (a little later, though), a lot of late Helenism, greco-indian, semitic and central asian cultures, great mountain ranges and steppes, elements of "global modern" civilization blending with ancient local cultus and philosophies, a lot of gnosticism and strange forms of platonic philosophies. I don't have magic in my world, so no mummies or rakshas sadly.
I do think it's a damn interesting era and damn interesting piece of world, so I think it could work really rather well if you put some effort into your research.
>>
>>47674471

Can't believe you haven't heard of Warlords of Alexander.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110404/Warlords-of-Alexander

Free, and full of info. Tends more to historical realism than to fantasy, though.
>>
>>47674471
>>
File: n95jt0q[1].jpg (498 KB, 708x826) Image search: [Google]
n95jt0q[1].jpg
498 KB, 708x826
>>47674471
>Would a setting based on the height of Alexander the Great's empire, or actually set in that time period as fantastical history, be interesting?
Bruh, Alexander was considered a living god. Fractured empires in the shadow of a living good using holy artifacts and their own claims and/or ambitions to godhood? Fuck yeah that sounds interesting.

Those Jews sound pretty sucky though. No living gods, and only one immortal god? I can't see that idea catching on, you'd be better of scrapping it altogether.

Egypt is my successor state-fu, Seleucidfags can get bent
>>
File: 5231215151541.jpg (123 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
5231215151541.jpg
123 KB, 873x627
I thought it was obvious Alexander The Greats a Perpetual
>>
>>47674471
>serpopard
Good taste.
>>
>>47679359
>Puting WH40k to everything.
Why do you fuckers do this. It's so tiresome.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.