[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ 5th Edition General - Half-orc Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: barbarianchickbytiger13z.jpg (407 KB, 800x1195) Image search: [Google]
barbarianchickbytiger13z.jpg
407 KB, 800x1195
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Tell us about your experience with half-orcs, /5eg/. Ever played one? What was it like? DMs, what is the status of half-orcs in your setting?
>>
>>47671957
>half-orc
I'm sorry for your mother.
>>
File: Untitled.png (107 KB, 323x387) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
107 KB, 323x387
Been thinking about those new feats in Unearthed Arcana. With regards to the weapon feats, the universal consensus seems to be "cool, but the +1 to attack rolls is a terrible idea."

Bearing that in mind, two questions.

1) Are the feats notably impacted in power if the +1 to attack is removed (i.e., are they no longer worth taking)?
2) If something needs to be subbed in to make the feats worthwhile, how does pic stack up?
>>
File: Dark Souls.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Reposting because dead thread.

I've cleaned up my old Dark Souls homebrew that people seemed to like, and I want to start to add more to it. What mechanics, spells, and monsters do people want to see rules for?

I had an idea for adding a Weapon Skills variant rule, inspired by Dark Souls 3's system.
>>
>>47672001
The +1 Attack should be removed, and your replacement of "Get advantage on an attack!" is terrible as well.
Just make it a +1 Str or Con if it's a Bruiser weapon, or +1 Str or Dex if it's a Finesse Weapon
>>
>>47671957
I have one character I haven't played yet that's a half-orc. Paladin got drunk and went to the wrong room, orc lady sleeping there is into it and he's too drunk to tell the difference. Next morning he's gone, she doesn't know much common so she only heard Torm mentioned a lot, finds out that is a god, thinks he was the god, raises her son in good faith he's a demigod.
>>
File: Untitled.png (50 KB, 682x254) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
50 KB, 682x254
>>47671992
I agree. Cooties are icky. Though I don't think dads have cooties.
>>
>>47671992
Modern orcs are basically green-skinned barbarians, even if that's shit it's even implied when half-orcs are a core race.
>>
>>47671957
I'm making one for a one off adventure this weekend. Our normal game is on hold due to DM before Nguyen busy so another player offered up a one off game.

It's going to be a war cleric of Hextor and I'm looking forward to watching it flesh out.
>>
>>47671957
In my setting's main country most humanoid races are mostly well-adjusted, unfortunately that does not include orcs.

Half-orcs from human mothers within civilized land are usually given away for adoption, since the circumstances of their conception tend to be rather unsavory. They face constant discrimination, but even then some have managed to excel (the second in command of the nation's armies is a half-orc)

Half-orcs from orc mothers very rarely know their fathers, as orcs tend to keep several slaves to relieve their baser urges, and an orc woman can make use of over 20 diferent human slaves in the span of a week in addition to regular encounters with orc males. An orc-raised half-orc is treated no different than any other member of the tribe, because very rarely is there much of a difference, other than often being considered particularily ugly by other orcs.
>>
Has anyone purchased DMs Guild stuff and can share, or is there an archive of the stuff somewhere? The Race Compendiums, Ravenloft Archetypes and Additional Archetypes are what I'm interested in. And to make it clear, there's 0 chance I'll buy these without seeing the crunch.
>>
File: Additional Archetypes.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Additional Archetypes.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47672289
>>
So what exactly is the point of lifestyles? They dont seem to actually do anything outside of drain gold.
>>
File: AnonDelivers.jpg (10 KB, 251x227) Image search: [Google]
AnonDelivers.jpg
10 KB, 251x227
>>47672289
>>47672327
Ravenloft Archetypes exceeds the file size and I don't feel like uploading it to megashare or somewhere, and I don't have the other thing you mentioned. But there you go, Additional Archetypes.

Now buy the other two.
>>
>>47672332
dm options
handbook example is that you dont rub elbows with nobles with a cheap lifestyle, and you dont pick up seedy street contacts with a extravagant life
>>
>>47672332
To take the place of normal nickel-and-diming to speed things up.

Basically: spend 2gp a day to get a decent inn room, fresh clothes, and food without having to buy them all individually.
>>
>>47672332
Your character isn't a machine without needs (probably). You need to eat and sleep. Lifestyles determine the quality of food and rest you get, and the people you hang out with while doing so.

You can live on the bare minimum lifestyle if you like, but that means you're living like a dirt-poor peasant. Expect to be treated as such.
>>
>>47672327
>>47672347
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Races are the easiest to draw inspiration from and I don't have all my races down for a setting so if it doesn't show I'm quite likely to buy those.
>>
>>47672353
>>47672360
>>47672384
So basically pay for RP opportunities. Considering that this would require a significant amount of game time is the GM supposed to try to tailor each lifestyle or should players provide there own list of things like contacts or habits?
>>
>>47672481
>So basically pay for RP opportunities.

And also to eat, and sleep somewhere other than a gutter. Unless that's your character's thing.
>>
>>47672481
yep, its a very simple way to handle things alot (i presume most?) games ignore, actually eating/drinking day to day. sure lodging might cost and that is tracked, but eating usually isn't
lifestyles let you basically eat/drink/sleep for 12 hours of your "downtime" day in town, and do a profession for 8 more hours if you have one
>>
>>47672498
True, but also 19 out of 20 GM's tend to ignore things like food unless survival is one of the main themes of the game. Which is rare outside of things like Dark Sun
>>
File: Capture.png (91 KB, 801x664) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
91 KB, 801x664
What's the best way to play an artificer in 5e? I want to play a (probably going to be) Wizard who's researching ways to make enchanted weapons by the truckload and selling them to armies, becoming an arms dealer of sorts.

Enchanted weapons in this sense being essentially a shitload of Cantrip-level wands or staffs tied together with a trigger to fire them rapid-fire, essentially making him able to manufacture an equivalent to firearms and sell them to the highest bidder (Then using profits to build more destructive and more efficient weapons)

This is a doodle of what would be an early prototype of a Firebolt Gatling gun, heavy and unwieldy, difficult to aim and inaccurate when it is anyways, prone to overheating and burning out rods, but when it works you'd better watch out because it's a shitload of (literal) fire being sent downrange.
>>
>>47672530
>but also 19 out of 20 GM's tend to ignore things like food
Really?
Even when I have city games, my players will talk to me about local bakers or good places to pick up fresh ingredients for breakfast or other things, even though we usually skip over such things unless an event of some kind or big discussion happens during breakfast, everyone tends to know what their character actually would eat on a typical morning.
>>
>>47672530
Certainly not my experience, particularly not with 5E. If anything in 5E I think I and my fellow players have started paying *more* attention to the simple, mundane things now that magic items aren't generally salable.

>>47672565
Exactly this.
>>
>>47672036
Boss weapons.
Weapon skills seems unnecessary unless it's something like the Unnamed King's blade calling down lightning.
Or unless you make them generic things that are just listed as "combat options" people can take instead of bound to specific weapons.

Pyromancies could be fun, as well as a take on a way to make a pyromancer that doesn't cross into sorceries.
>>
So why is it a thing with halfbreeds that they combine the best of both races? Strength of orcs with intellect and consideration of humans, half-elves are intelligent and good-looking but less isolationist and arrogant, muls are strong and durable but not as greedy and xenophobic.

I can dig it as a setting, a world where humans are the weakest race but at the same time halfbreeds between humans and other races are always better than the non-human parent too. But as a game-wide thing it's really stupid IMO, and comes off a bit like those perfect/mary sue races.
>>
>>47672045
I think it would be better to just strengthen the feat, nothing says boring like minor benefit and also a stat. I'd like feats in line with shield master, pole arm master, or dual wielded that provide fairly powerful and interesting benefits. A good model is one major combat boost, one minor boost, and a utility of some sort.
>>
>>47672586
>>47672565

Maybe but from most games I have played even outside of D&D most people tend to not care about the day to day because for the most part it's boring and unimportant.
Plus most games of D&D characters tend to be travelers and never staying in one place for too long so there's that.

>>47672551
Try to find a hombrewed one. The base game of 5e is INCREDIBLY stacked against you if you want to be a mageright or artificer. There is a shitty unearthed arcana as well if you wanna give that a look
>>
>>47672001
i don't think +1 to attack rolls is a terrible idea
>>
>>47672327
>Otherworldly Patron: The Shadow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjhtQiUzRY
>>
>>47672036
>capra demon only cr 3
ok fuck you buddy i guess i just need to git gud
>>
>>47672551
6 attacks per turn doing 1d10 fire damage each with the possibility of misfires/breakage on rolling 1's?

Sounds neat, but expensive
>>
>>47672615
I think you're right, I was just be lazy in my suggestion.

>>47672612
Because your great great grandfather being an elf used to mean you were destined for greatness in the fantasy genre.
While having an orc further back in your bloodline meant you were going to inherit great power and a terrible curse.

Old tropes that may or may not carry over so well to the modern day.
>>
>>47672551
i vote the weapon has X hp. lets say slightly above average. so 12 firebolts, 1d10 each, lets say it has 60 hp. or lets say very slightly more, 65 hp.

if it takes more than 66 damage in a round, it explodes and casts fireball centered on you. if not, hey you're good to go.
>>
>>47672750
I get it for adventurers, their parents/ancestors in combination give them natural talents etc. makes sense there. But to say a race as a whole is always superior when it's a half-breed (something at best very rare in nature) is a bit stretch.
>>
>>47672813
Oh, well yes, you'd be right there, but the two questions that raises are:
Why are we using PC creation rules for NPCs?
and
What settings have entire societies of half-breeds?
>>
File: Capture.png (187 KB, 1143x393) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
187 KB, 1143x393
>>47672719
>>47672755
I was probably simply going to treat it like a narrow cone similar to how spells that create volleys of fire are treated, and enemies in front of it can make a save to avoid it's fire (with it being easier to avoid the further away they are) since it's more of a spray weapon (and also because being able to dish out that much damage at low levels would be silly) and as the game goes on they could research and improve the weapon to become more accurate/less prone to falling apart.

Giving it it's own HP is a good idea too.
>>
>>47672675
The stingier the game is with piddling little +1 and +2 bonuses, the better. Bonus proliferation is the cancer that is slowly killing 3.PF; I'd just as soon not see that happen to 5e, too.
>>
>>47672755
12d10 averages at 66. So the weapon would blow up even with just average rolls. I like your idea, though, but its HP should be closer to 80, 90.
>>
>>47672873
i feel that but its not a game where you can stack that stuff... but i guess it opens the door to that if you start putting it on feats.
i guess its not a game where you can do that YET and i understand the fear. idk.
>>
>>47672887
oh shit you're right i was thinking 10d10 for some reason i think.
>>
File: Rebuke.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Rebuke.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Is it strong? Is it weak? Idea is to throw one of these to my players, but also let them have the option to play with a couple of corpses if they so desire.
>>
>>47672850
I'm more talking about the fact that, even if the racial entry in the PHB is centered on PCs, it does describe the race as a whole, what place it has in the setting, only 1 of the four fluffy parts is about why they may be adventuring. So I'd say it applies to NPCs as well, even if the crunch doesn't. Whole societies of half-breeds are very rare, and a lot of the time it's seen as a good thing. Half-elves are travellers, open to new people and easy to socialize with. It doesn't addres potential problems, like not belonging anywhere.
>>
How do you guys approach letting PCs storm a lair that contains lots of enemies?

What I mean is, after fighting a bunch they will likely need a long rest, or will want to try to take one. But what are the baddies up to?
Surely if they made noise they'd come interrupt them. And someone would let the big boss know?

My only ideas so far have been:
>Have some element about the place make lots of noise, so someone far away probably wouldn't hear fighting even two rooms away.
>Introduce a room that the players could easily barricade.
>Have the minions or weaker bosses say something about "no, don't get so-and-so, we'll take care of them ourselves."

Thoughts? Tips?
>>
>>47671957
>not pretty good edition
You had one job, OP.
>>
>>47671957
Got a half-orc in my group of PCs. Doesn't help he's a god-awful roleplayer. But he constantly swings between murderhobo and sounding like a fucking butler.

I asked what happened to his parents for backstory sake.
>My mom is dead, oh and I killed my dad! Because he was weak!
According to the timeline he gave me this means he must've killed his full-orc father at age 8 or 9.
>>
>>47673040
sounds legit i dont get what the problem is
>>
>>47673061
It sounds much better than it is.
>>
>>47673040
I mean, how many murders are done in 1v1 combat? Killing him with poison (unlikely), or stabbing him while he's asleep are definitely possible. It does sound edgy as fuck though.
>>
>>47673110
>But he constantly swings between murderhobo and sounding like a fucking butler.
isn't this what a half-orc is tho? at least 60% of the time.
>>
>>47671957

half-orcs are my favorite race
>>
>>47671957
>Ever played one?
Yup.
>What was it like?
Pretty much like any character.
>DMs, what is the status of half-orcs in your setting?
I do this too.
We use old-school FR as our setting so among humans they're kinda treated as potential criminals, elves treat them like mongrels, dwarves look upon them with suspicion, orcs treat them basically okay, and adventurers treat them like just one more adventurer.
>>
>>47671957
>Ever played one?
Yes
>What was it like?
Fun as hell. He was a Sorcerer and the NPCs all threw shit at me because orcs are stupid.
>DMs, what is the status of half-orcs in your setting?
While not a DM, in my current game they're banned as well as all the other Half-humans.
>>
>>47672688
Kill the adds quickly, then run up the stairs at the back of his boss arena, and then just keep doing plunging attacks on him until you've won. It's a really easy fight actually.
>>
>>47673177
>half-humans banned

Why?
>>
>>47673335
There are many reasons to not have half-breeds in a setting as far as I'm concerned. In mine, races can't have children together generally so there are none. Mechanically, I use parts or all of their features for other races that aren't in 5e yet. Call me autistic, but I'm not a fan of the trope that everyone can fuck and have a child that functions perfectly.
>>
Would a magic/special weapon or spell that did damage with an exploding/open ended (when you roll it's highest value, you roll it again and add it) die be broken?
>>
>>47672001
>free action
>>
File: merkel-putin-dog.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1257) Image search: [Google]
merkel-putin-dog.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1257
>>47673335
also half races are really lazy. imo its better to make a new race than have a half race
>>
>>47671957
>Ever played one?
once, it was a premade character
for some reason, either i was the most talkative person at the table, or because i was the "leader" (the guy getting hit) i had to be the party face
it was a pretty normal guy, would be a human if not for the skin, became an adventurer to see the world, since settling down and farming is totally lame for an orc
eventually met up with some barb npc's and the character started to embrace his "orc" side
>>
Is there any good way to make a heavy armored swordfighting illusionist? It's a pretty silly concept but still one of my favorites I've made in Skyrim

Only thing that comes to mind is
>Eldritch Knight for weapon bind, proficiencies, and fighting style
>Warlock for Disguise Self and Silent Image at will Invocations

But then the question is should I go straight Wizard the rest of the way or would doing that end with it being far too fragile to do any real frontline fighting? (Frontline not necessarily meaning face tanking since I'd be using Silent Image and other abilities to deflect attacks away from me as much as possible)
>>
File: Capture.png (160 KB, 308x198) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
160 KB, 308x198
>>47673793
Also while I'm at it

>The object can't deal damage or otherwise
directly harm anyone.

Let's say I make an illusion sword with that ability and stab a fucker with it. Would it do damage? It's not the illusion itself doing damage, it's me wielding a weapon doing it.
>>
>>47673012
Your ideas sound pretty good, until inevitably one of the casters decides to use Thunderwave. Are they 5th level or higher? If so, one of them could have Leomund's Tiny Hut, very helpful in those situations. Aside from that, just run the dungeon in a way that would make sense. Just because the bad guys knows they're there doesn't mean they will attack immediately. They might set traps, prepare ambushes, something that would signal to your players they should be more careful. And the lair should have some nooks and rooms where they could hide or barricade, surely.
>>
>>47673873
no, thats the equivalent of the "im not touching you" game

you could maybe argue it would work with ranged weapons and real ammo though
>>
>>47673038
OP should be ashamed.

>>47673555
If it can be done indefinitely, yeah, very much so. Wild Sorcerer's 18th level feature (18th level, baby!) lets his spells explode only once per turn. So basically just one extra die of damage if they roll the highest value.
>>
>>47673555
For a blaster very much so. If it's limited to only certain spells/cantrips, or a pally weapon that makes smites explosive etc. then not as much.
>>
>>47672036
Isn't Dark Souls a bit more...GURPS-y?
>>
>>47673635
not that anon but what is the right wording for that now? just say it with no free action part?
>>
>>47671957
I've got one right now (playing another session tomorrow actually) that's basically a wannabe-master thief rogue. Doesn't steal stuff from people to keep or sell, mostly just to prove to himself that he can do it. Not working out great so far but he's only level 4.
>>
>>47674390
Once per long rest you may gain advantage on a single attack roll
>>
File: 1370257438994.png (284 KB, 414x500) Image search: [Google]
1370257438994.png
284 KB, 414x500
>>47671957
>tfw foreverDM
>tfw there never is a half-orc PC with a loving family background
>tfw no papa orc tending the farm and making the kids bounce on his knees
>tfw no loving wife serving potato-leek soup to her orc of a husband and softly kissing him on the forehead after a hard day's work
>tfw no goodbye scene with the young half-orc hugging his papa and mama before heading to the big city to become an adventurer
>tfw the only background people can find for half-orcs is "barabarian raepbaby lel hes very mad"
THAT FEEL IS NOT A GOOD FEEL
>>
Question to both players and DMs. Monks. They have felt and remain very Wuxia. Do you have them in your games based on European-themed fantasy? Do you keep them feeling Eastern, or try to adapt them to make sense in a fantasy medieval Europe setting?
>>
File: 1463758821810.png (272 KB, 378x378) Image search: [Google]
1463758821810.png
272 KB, 378x378
>>47671957
My character was dating one.
He's 3'6" and the half-orc is 7ft+
>>
>>47674427
oh yeah that does sound a lot better. nice.
>>
>>47674510
I once was in a game where the DM had all monks from a single organization (no players could choose monk) and the majority of the people in it were just servants or trainees or lesser apprentices. Any who trained enough or was strong enough to be considered a monk were all kind of like Bumi from Avatar: they dressed in simple robes and gave to charity and healed the sick and stuff but when it came to a fight, they were super buff and fighty underneath. It was interesting coming across them for the brief time that we did. Kind of a mix of Wuxia and European flavors.

They ended up all getting murdered by a green dragon so, oh well.
>>
>>47674510
In a mideval european setting I'd want to exclude them myself. My setting is more mixed though, the monks have their own god that was basically buddha but going all over the world so only isolated societies would have no monks.
>>
>>47672682
Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking it
>>
>>47672327
How balanced are these archtypes?
>>
>>47674510

You can make a monk feel non-wuxia by describing them as non-wuxia.

Instead of describing them as martial artists, describe them as expert boxers or fist fighters
Or just as fighters that make the most of being unarmored and lightly armed.

You don't need to change rules, you just describe stuff differently.
>>
>>47674674
I'd say that, in fluff, that means they don't add anything to the game. If you like them mechanically, sure, but I think it's missing out when a class doesn't have unique fluff. It's the reason I don't like having 30 different classes and just have a few ones that all work differently in the world.
>>
>>47671957
>Ever played one?
Currently playing one
>What was it like?
Well half-orcs never really come up and he was raised with orcs so he's socially ignorant about how people interact but he still has some human tendencies. Like his first instinct is to solve the problem with violence but after his rage he realizes how disgusting the blood he's cover in is.
DMs, what is the status of half-orcs in your setting?
For the character above, I pretty wrote how his clan perceived half-orcs. They weren't uncommon because orcs do sometimes give unwanted pregnancies and one Gruumsh's things is to spread orc blood around so they tolerate them. The majority of the clan wasn't fond of my character's family for a multitude of reasons. Character's father is considered weak because he's a fisherman instead of being a warrior,his mother is human and isn't a captive, his older brother much like his father isn't much of a fighter, and then my character liked butting heads with important people.
>>
>>47674580
*with these weapons
>>
>>47674488
I know how I'm gonna play my half-orc if I ever do.
Thanks, anon.
>>
File: 1362344593674.jpg (24 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
1362344593674.jpg
24 KB, 320x239
>>47674789
it warms my heart
thanks to you
>>
>>47673922
Thanks. And yeah, my players are kinda dumb. They're still trying to transition out of the video-game mindset.
One of them literally cast thunderwave and wondered why there was an ambush waiting for them. They also regularly break down doors and stuff.
>>
File: fire-extinguisher-fire.jpg (32 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
fire-extinguisher-fire.jpg
32 KB, 700x394
>>47674510
monks punch people for a living and are supernaturally awesome. they don't have to run around in orange robes and call people sempai.
>>
File: boat-game-map-design.jpg (253 KB, 600x851) Image search: [Google]
boat-game-map-design.jpg
253 KB, 600x851
What are some good low-level encounters (1-3 at most) that can happen on a boat?
There are a lot of cool giant sea monsters but to my knowledge they're all mid to high level.
>>
>>47675079
>sempai
I said "Wuxia" not "Animu"
>>
>>47671957
What are some good 1st to 4th level spells to support your front line fighters with? Assume any spell list
>>
>>47675150
HASTE
A
S
T
E
>>
>>47672688
Yeah, you do. Sorry.
>>
>>47673138
He said his dad was weak though.
You don't kill someone because they're weak in a cowardly way, you fight them to prove you're better.
>>
>>47675079
This.
Monks are basically super heroes. When I see batman, I don't think "pfft, fucking weeb." Some might, but that's on them, and I think they're the minority.
Monks can be played just fine in a european setting. DMs that outright ban them are shit DMs.
>>
>>47675154
Yeah, Haste is a given, but what else? Healing word also gets 0 HP people off of the ground long enough to escape. What else?
>>
File: 1245377-270px_npc_sandal.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1245377-270px_npc_sandal.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
>>47673382
>literally 2 half breed races, 3 if you count tieflings
lel
You'd probably appreciate this guy though
>>
>>47675079
I think it only works for a silly/non-serious game desu. With knights, powerful wizards and stuff, having people that just don't need armor and don't have magical powers is very weird.
>>
>>47675185
Ki is explicitly a type of magical energy.
>>
>>47674520
>>
>>47675146
Make it a baby-version of one of the giant monsters. Just nerf its HP, AC, and DPR to the level you need it to be.

Pirates are also a good option. Have some gerblins trying to sink your boat. Maybe even make it so your boat does sink so you have to kill the goblins and take their ship.
Then on approaching a city you are stopped by a navy vessel for being in a known pirate ship or something. That'd be fun. Start it off as a misunderstanding the players have to talk their way through, then end up getting a reward for taking down these troublesome goblins. And maybe the ship was stolen from the navy and by returning it you get even more benefits.

Ship encounters are fucking fun.
>>
>>47675199
Nice. Love the pirate misunderstanding especially, would be fun to see how the players deal with it.
>>
>>47675185
Isn't ki magic?
The reason they don't need armor is because they're just fucking quick. That makes plenty of sense. Rogues are also really quick, same reason they can dodge fireballs. But no one complains about rogues being able to dodge things.
Monks typically don't have crazy high con because they usually focus on dex and wis, right? It's not that they don't need armor, they just are slowed down by it so they use their wisdom in battle to make due without it. If they get hit though, they still get hurt pretty bad.
>>
>>47675184
It doesn't matter if they don't have mechanics, most settings will allow half-almost anything. Half-elf variants, half-dwarfs, half-dragons in MM, half-dwarf half-elf, etc. Do you really deny that kitchen sink/generic fantasy doesn't have tons of half races possible?
>>
>>47675238
I've never played a game with half-dwarves (other than DA but that wasn't tabletop so eh). I gues a lot of generic fantasies might have a lot of half-races but the DMs I've played with rarely used them.
>>
File: NZODb.gif (495 KB, 126x161) Image search: [Google]
NZODb.gif
495 KB, 126x161
>>47671957
>fire based Evocation Wizard
>DM allows me three spells from any list no higher than 4th level
>decide to pick some good spells I wouldn't normally have access to
>spent three hours trying to pick

SOMEONE FREE ME FROM THIS HELL
>>
File: Oath of the Banished Fiend.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Oath of the Banished Fiend.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Took the advice of the anon in the prior thread who suggested candle light for the fire effects and added an altered appearance to the capstone.

Thoughts?
>>
>>47675194
>>47675236
He said to just fluff it as supernatural people, if it's a known force in the world then you need a different fluff for it or it will be the default heavy wuxia flavor. Just saying people are stronger in some way, like batman, doesn't lend itself to a serious game I think. Not everyone likes the serious games and complain about realism and strict internal consistency but they still exist and that's the kind of setting I wouldn't use monks if I wanted to avoid Wuxia.
>>
>>47675282
Look at bard spell guides, the type that has ratings for every single spell. Even if it's not fully accurate or whatever it's a lot easier and thins it down.
>>
>>47675293
i like that they're intangable fire, and not just a form change like nature boys
even candlelight is enough to fuck with a creature trying to hide, so i like that using smite isn't also just a massive flashlight
>>
>>47675282
find familiar
find steed
find traps
>>
I was thinking in just letting players heal hit dice in short rest if they use a medic kit or some creative way healing, and in long rest they can spend all the hit dice they want they regenerate half their hitdice per day minimum one
>>
>>47675079
>>47675185
>>47675194
>>47675236
See, this is kind of it. It's not the "unarmored martial artist" that I feel doesn't quite fit in every setting. It's Ki. It is magical, but it seems magical in a very non-European way. It's a "power within" sort of thing. It feels spiritual in nature, but not in a way that relates to gods or nature spirits. If I could find something that makes that feel right thematically, I would be able to work it in. I'm not totally opposed to the idea of somewhat eastern traditions having spread to a Europe-like environment and becoming integrated, but ideally, I'd like something better than that.
>>
>>47672001
>feats UA
Only just saw that, what do people think? I feel like Fell Handed seems a lot better than sword one, and the spear feat looks like a no brainer for Monks.
>>
>>47675440
Just change the flavour so it's been granted by the gods.
>>
>>47675451
This has been the general reaction
>>
>>47675440
I have it so paladins, monks and bards draw power from their souls, in different ways. Souls are an accepted part in most settings and it's quite easy to tie it to that. BUT that doesn't make it have non-wuxia flavor.

>>47675452
Making the fluff identical to another class doesn't help. This is about the fluff being non-distinct if it is separate from other classes.
>>
>>47675451
Theyre nice and all but i cant imagine ever really picking them over the more useful feats or just plain stats
>>
>>47675463
What other class gets divine power than lets them fight without weapons and do monk shit?
You're implying that paladins, cleric and maybe even druids and rangers have the same fluff as they're all divine powered.
>>
>>47675146

Merfolk and shugain raid. Thats how one of my adventures started
>>
>>47675463
Soul-power seems to be going in the right direction, because as you said, that makes it still distinct from all the caster classes.. I might do that.
>>
ranger suck in this edition? how i can buff them?
>>
File: 1376095021668.gif (1024 KB, 320x212) Image search: [Google]
1376095021668.gif
1024 KB, 320x212
>>47671957
Best Cleric control spells? I'm semi-new to this, jumping into a level 5 game. Hoping to get some spells to buff or otherwise control the battlefield
>>
>>47675473
Clerics, and sometimes paladins but for different reasons, get power from gods. Druids can in some settings, i.e. nature clerics worship a nature god, druids worship a different nature god so they get different powers, I'm not a big fan of that and prefer it to be nature spirits or something. Same deal with monks, you can justify it like that but I think it's very weak. Idk about Rangers, their spellcasting makes no sense to me.
>>
>>47675571
Clerics are said to be the easiest casters, most of their spells are good and have a transparent use. I haven't played one though, so i can't help you with specifics.
>>
>>47675440
Why not have it come from the mind?
It's a mind-over-matter, force of will type power they can draw from.
>>
>>47675440
Ki is kind of like the force, right?
When you think of Jedi Knights do you think Eastern or European? I tend to lean a bit more European.

Honestly I think most of the reason people can't fix it in their mind as being anything other than eastern mysticism is because they can't detach the word monk from kung fu films and Bruce Lee.
>>
>>47675466
I'm playing a Variant Human Fighter right now with 20 Strength, 16 Con, GWM and Alert at level 8. I could absolutely see myself picking up Fell Handed or the blade one at level 12,and possibly even taking one over GWM instead.
>>
>>47675608
>When you think of Jedi Knights do you think Eastern or European? I tend to lean a bit more European.
What exactly is European about them apart from the actors that play them and the word 'knight'?
>>
>>47675440
Interestingly, according to both the specific religion it originates from (most of what we consider modern qi stuff in fantasy originates from Daoism) and most of the cultures that adopted the concept there is NOTHING spiritual, magical, or mystical about qi.

Instead it's basically treated like a muscle of sorts, a very specific muscle linker intrinsically to physical breathing that requires a very specific training regimen to improve.
You know how you can skip leg day when working out and have really underdeveloped legs?
Well according to Daoist philosophy pretty much everyone is skipping Qi Day and so their dantien (the "organ" that is your qi center) never gets any stronger even as their regular muscles do.

The whole mystical/magical/sorcerous element of the thing is mostly Western society getting understandibly confused about what it's supposed to be.
In some stuff sufficient qi training CAN make you do pretty much anything, but in Daoist beliefs it's differentiated from magic in that qi improvement and manipulation is a skill that can be taught, improved, and learned whereas sorcery is straight-up impossible for mortals to use, instead being the providence of Shen, various immortal creatures and beings.
>>
>>47675627
There isn't much. But what are you trying to argue? It's a perception thing.
Do you think wuxia when you think Jedi?
I think that in general, people don't. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's just a way you can think of ki without it having to be something that comes from asian mysticism.

My point is that monks seem to get shoe-horned into this one idea far more than most other classes for some reason and people claim they "don't fit the setting" based on their idea of what monks have to be.

Also this.
>>47675632
Personally I'm in favor of thinking of Ki as something that is instrinsic to the body that just has to be mastered. Nothing spiritual about it. It's literally something that's just unlocked through training your body and mind to extreme levels.

Which makes it much different from a fighter who focuses his time not on improving his body or mind, but more so focuses on how to better weild a weapon and push himself harder in combat when he needs to.
>>
>>47675632
"Learned magic" in general isn't super common in most folklore and mythology anyway; it was magical specifically because regular people could never do it. There's lots of overlap with sorcerers and witches and monsters in myth for that very reason.
Even Hermeticism (a major thematic influence D&D magic) postulates a divine or semidivine source as the origin of magic, namely the Tabula Smaragdina that fell from Lucifer's head as he fell from Heaven and upon which the secrets of the universe were written.
>>47675671
A decent way to explain why not EVERY warrior trains his qi is because the process is in Daoist thought supposed to take damn near for-fucking-ever.
You know how all those Kungfu wuxia heroes start training as small children? That's because you can't get your Qi Center ripped into shape by working extra hard for a few months; it takes YEARS of specialized knowledge and training (and dietary habits and sexual habits too in some cases) to train your Qi Center enough to get it to do cool shit. That's why all the now powerful kungfu masters are old; they've had the appropriate amount of time to really build their internal energy so it can do some crazy shit.

Meanwhile a regular fighter can be trained physically fit and sufficiently skilled enough to reliably kill another human being within six months.
Less if you don't care too much about quality.
>>
>>47675514
First step would be working out what's the interesting mechanical or fluff niche you want them to fulfil. Outlander Fighter works well for many Ranger characters, for example.
>>
>>47675632
I really, really like Qi but Ki in D&D is different. It allows you to create fire, jump to extreme heights etc. Qi also has a lot to do with personality etc., not just physical health, which is hard to tie to a class.
>>
>>47675716
It's a fantasy world. I'm chill with letting Ki be used to do that shit if bards are able to reshape reality with song.
>>
>>47675734
Their songs are a medium for manipulating magic though. Though yes, I do think it's fair to basically say "humans are more powerful in this world than in ours", as is the case in most of superhero fiction and a ton of fantasy.
>>
>>47675571
At level 5 you'll have 9 prepared spells on top of your domain's 6, should be simple enough working out which ones fit the role you want. Some things to remember:

- Healing Word is great, you should always have it prepared. Getting to resuscitate an ally with a bonus action whilst still fighting is really strong.
- Always consider what you'll use your Bonus action for. This is part of why Healing Word is good, and also why Spiritual Weapon is a strong damage choice
- keep concentration in mind when picking spells. You can only have one concentration spell, and you're missing out if you don't have one up, so you want at least one prepared but not too many
- You have 4+3+2 spells a day and should average something like 6 fights (based off of XP per day and XP per encounter guidelines in the DMG) which means if you cast more than one or two spells in a combat you can risk running out if slots. Keep things like your Channel Divinity in mind as it often gives you a spell like effect once per short rest (meaning you go from 9 spells a day to 12,sort of thing) and make sure you have a melee or cantrip option for damage dealing.
- You can switch your prepared spells out every day so don't be afraid to experiment. Maybe you find some Spells are a lot worse than you thought so you replace them, or maybe your DM runs fewer combats per day than you expected him to so you can more easily justify straight damage spells
>>
How would you do the breath attack of a pink dragon? I've been running a campaign across multiple editions, and a pink dragon who is "the mostest evilest of all the dragons" is a recurring "villain".
>>
>>47675864
>How would you do the breath attack of a pink dragon?
Psychic. Because it casts gay on you.
>>
>>47675864
For the damage, if you want that, psychic probably. For the special one, if you model it after metallic dragons, some charm effect. Idk if one of the metallic ones has that already, could just rip it in that case.
>>
>>47675901
>>47676085
They were a thing in AD&D
They breath soap bubbles
>>
>>47675901
Then shouldn't it be piercing?
>>
File: BarbarianFemale.jpg (127 KB, 800x1195) Image search: [Google]
BarbarianFemale.jpg
127 KB, 800x1195
>>47671957
I find it really odd how this edit has become more popular than the original
>>
>>47676190
Only if it's a surprise attack from behind
>>
>>47676238
OP here. I can honestly say I didn't even know there *was* an original.

I think I prefer the orc version anyway.
>>
>>47676773
Having seen the original before, I can't look at the orc one without thinking "shitty edit"
>>
>>47672850
>What settings have entire societies of half-breeds?

Eberron, at least has half-elves having been around for so long as a race that they're now a fully distinct race in and of themselves, with entire communities that are majority half-elf and even with the beginnings of their own distinct culture and traditions.

But then the default behind Eberron was "this is a world where everything in 3.PF exists and has *always* existed, so the world grew up around it."
>>
>>47676176
Yeah I assume he means the mechanical effect.
>>
>>47676238
It is a pretty shit edit, but orcfags will argue otherwise.
>>
>>47676899
As an orcfag I find it especially shitty
>>
>>47676934
Then I wouldn't call you an orcfag, just an honest lover of green meat.
>>
>>47672001
I like the +1 cause it doesn't improve the damage, or any checks meant with the skill. This means that the character is actively deciding to be more combat orientated than out of combat. A rogue who takes the Blade Mastery feat could be worse off making checks and saves thanks to the 16 dexterity. These risk and reward decisions are what makes your character a more specific person.

And if you pick the fell handed feat and the DM throws a +1 Greatsword at you you get to make choices too.

Also, you know you could just train for the feat, find a trainer spend some gold and some downtime and gain the feat.
>>
>>47677029
>Also, you know you could just train for the feat, find a trainer spend some gold and some downtime and gain the feat.
(Citation needed)
>>
>>47672327

does arcane archer not have a limit to how many spell points you can spend on an arrow? of these archtypes that's probably my favorite, the others seem kind of hit or miss.
>>
>>47671992
Oh, no no! They're not a crossbreed race, they were made from magical experimentation! See, they were created by the ancient and powerful hobgoblin empi-
*bursts into laughter*
Sorry, 4E. I tried to be serious, but I can't say the phrase 'hobgoblin empire' with a straight face.
>>
>>47673793

sounds MAD as fuck dude. You'd want high Intelligence, Strength, and at least 13 Charisma.
>>
>>47677043
Can't find the rule but I definitely remember it existing, something about a bunch of days of downtime and 500g

>>47677182
To be fair if any evil humanoid could believably have an empire it would be the hobbos
>>
>>47677244
I'd totally allow it but I haven't seen it in the books.
>>
>>47677223
>2 stats and a 13 is MAD
>literally a base array
>MAD
>>
>>47677301

It means you're losing out on other stats that might be more important, like Constitution, or Dexterity, just to multiclass 3 ways. Fluff wise your story will pretty much be justifying your 3 classes and I think you're going to suffer on Initiative or HP and a saving throw anyways. It doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Wizard seems like a no go here. If you're going to do this just stick to Warlock/Fighter, since if you try to add Wizard one of your DCs (either your Silent Image or whatever you get from Wizard) is going to suck, and you're already gimping your HP.

As for using your illusions to deflect attacks from you...that might not work great, since most DMs probably have enemies who aren't as retarded as the people of Skyrim. Not to mention if you sit there casting Silent Image every turn you won't really be sword fighting either.
>>
>>47677244
I think your thinking of the rule that says you can train to get a new language or tool proficiency. It's on page 187 of the PHB and it's 250 gp and 250 days of training to learn a tool proficiency or language. I'd probably use similar rules for players to learn feats but most likely no sane party is going to spend the majority of a year to learn a feat.
>>
>>47673793
Eldritch Knight for five levels, then Wizard the rest of the way. Two attacks, Action Surge, all the proficiencies you need, and since levels in spellcasting classes stack, more spell slots and spells known than you would have by going Champion or Battlemaster. Take the Illusionist path for Wizard.

Alternatively, three levels in Fighter and make up for the lack of a second attack with Green Flame Blade or some other melee cantrip.
>>
>>47677489
Was about to suggest this.
>>
>>47677489

Seems better than going 3 classes to me. If we're going up to level 5 though why not go to level 7 for war magic? It means you can also cast a minor illusion cantrip and attack in the same turn too.
>>
>>47677714
At that right you might as well just go Eldritch Knight the entire way... which is also completely valid. Maybe ask your GM to change what spell schools you're limited to, or remove the limit entirely. Illusion and Enchantment seem like sensible choices to pair up.
>>
File: 1464732758591.png (47 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1464732758591.png
47 KB, 200x200
I've got some ideas for a class I'm designing and I'm considering certain abilities that trigger when you're at 50% HP or lower, which I think 4e called "bloodied." My idea is that to keep the class from being useless until it hits half HP, it can get those bonuses under other circumstances. Here's an example:

>Cornered Fury: When there are three or more hostile creatures within 5 feet of you or you are at or below half your maximum hit points, you do not roll weapon damage dice. Instead, you automatically deal the maximum amount possible. This feature does not affect bonus dice such as from sneak attack or weapon enchantments (such as a flametongue's fire damage).

Is the whole 50% HP thing too video gamey? Is this the kind of ability you'd get excited about if you gained it when you leveled up?
>>
>>47677737

Not necessarily. I still think you get a lot out of the multi class. It probably won't be as strong as going straight Fighter but this build doesn't seem like it's going to be optimized either way.

Going EK 7 also gives you an Extra ASI. If you really want to push it you can even go up to EK 10 and give enemies disadvantage to see through your illusions when you hit them, Indomitable, and another ASI. It seems worth it, from my end.

I agree that going straight Fighter and asking your DM to change or remove your school limitations is a good idea too.
>>
If a Wild Sorcerer gets the spell Detect Magic through the Ritual Casting feat, and they cast it as a ritual, can it trigger a wild magic surge?
>>
>>47677489
Honestly there are very few situations where the cantrips are inherently better than a second attack; basically if you don't have another way to enhance your weapon (smites, magic/elemental weapon, thirsting blade's upgrade, the EK cantripncast ability) and no spare attack.
>>
>>47677827
Oh, I know that. It was just in the event that they wanted to prioritise casting. Their spellcasting would be more useful due to having two more levels in Wizard, but their melee potential would drop. GFB would just make the drop off in melee not quite as significant, and still allow them to fight in melee if they so wished.
>>
>>47677471
To be fair it would probably take the better part of a year to truly learn how to take full advantage of a weapon's capabilities. Personally I would probably sell "feat books" or something like that for about 500g and allow the PC to make the appropriate ability checks to add to a "learning counter" of sorts

The DC is 10, and passing adds 1, passing with a 15 or more adds 2, a natural 20 adds 3

When the learning counter reaches, say, 50, they learn the feat
>>
>>47677762
Too much like 4e I'd say, they did purposefully remove it in this edition. I don't think it's a bad mechanic but doesn't quite fit.
>>
>>47677810
I'd say no on ritual casts in general. A sorc in a game I ran had magic initiate for mage armor and I just let him choose whether he wanted it to trigger it.
>>
Which adventure is best for first time players? They all have experience with /tg/ shit like 40k, and the like, but have never actually played an RPG.
>>
>>47677944
I'd just give feats for specific things, like the fighter going to the capital to get some training by the royal guard, a wizard studying under the friendly lich, etc. I don't think this type of training should be something to consider for a character build, it's just a nice flavorful bonus.
>>
>>47678006
Lost mines of phandelver, the adventure that comes with the starting set, has had really good feedback. It's also easy to start a campaign with it (it covers level 1-4 or 5 I think) and then homebrew from there/use another adventure.
>>
>>47677244
I agree, add the orcs too, as in 'barbarian kingdom', and maybe kobolds too since they're coward but smart, so they should be able to at least form some kind of civilization.

The hobbos description always talked about how they know about military and tactics, and act way different than the petty gobos and the brutish buggies. It's easy to think they're capable of building a militia-run country, kingdom or whatever.
>>
>>47677956
Thematically it fits with the class, since it's a Final Fantasy dark knight and they're supposed to get stronger as they get wounded, but I get what you mean about it not really fitting with 5e's mechanics. There's nothing else in the game that I can think of that's like that.
>>
>>47677762
It would probably work better if you gave the skill a passive minor-ish benefit that is always active and an improved version that comes into play when HP go under half

I would recommend you create the mechanic to begin with as the class' level 1 feature, something like:

Desperation:
When your total hitpoints are below your maximum amount of hitpoints you enter Desperation. While desperate you gain x benefit.

And then the other features would work off that like:

Cornered:
When you are surrounded by 3 or more enemies you may use your action to make a melee weapon attack against each enemy.
If you are under the effects of desperation you may choose to re-roll any damage die results of 1 or 2 when you use this feature

How about it?
>>
>>47678067
It's something worth building on rather than just dumping on the character at a higher level, yeah. My plan was already to have a minor always-active benefit and then a half-HP better version, but I'm glad someone else also thinks it's a good idea.
>>
>>47677029
Except, of course, if you're a level 12 character / level 8 fighter / variant human and there's little cost to taking a Feat.
>>
>GM is RAWfag
>Not even full RAW, just RAW as long as it benefits him
360 noscope and walk away
>>
>>47678124
So long as he is consistent is there a problem?
If he's being inconsistent then call him on it and ask for consistency.
>>
>>47678063
There was a blood magic thing that was at least decent I think, and some kind of blood knight floating around too. Maybe they have more elegant solutions, though probably not.
>>
>>47678011
Oh absolutely, and I feel that's the original intent of the thing, go somewhere and spend your downtime training

I just recommended that as a way to work things out as a DM when someone really wants to gain a certain benefit or you feel like you should offer it, like for instance if a ranger player liked crossbows but was forced to use a bow because he took sharpshooter at level 4 and is now level 5 in a race against time to stop the BBEG, I might drop "A Well Oiled Machine: Crossbow Drills and Doctrine for the Modern Battlefield" into a few bookstores
>>
File: 1274319609989.jpg (17 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
1274319609989.jpg
17 KB, 460x288
>>47678124
>RAWfag
>in a system that encourages improvisation and deliberately leaves out rules so GMs can make up whatever is appropriate for their game
Disgusting.
>>
File: Untitled.png (160 KB, 1190x1209) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
160 KB, 1190x1209
>>47678032
Hang on a second...ah, here we go.
>>
What stats would you give to an albatross for the sake of being a familiar?

They're usually meant as good luck to ships so could it possess some sort of ability based on that?
Or how about following the Rime of the Ancient Mariner it could have some effect upon being killed as a bad omen. Maybe it deals psyhic damage to intelligent creatures that slay it?

Thoughts? I was thinking of playing a wizard, that used to sail aboard a ship, guiding the winds to the sails and providing safe passage.
>>
>>47678316
An albatross or a magical albatross? Animals in the MM do not have symbolic features, they have semi-realistic ones.
>>
>>47678386
Well it would be a familiar, so I guess magical by default.
However, I know what you mean. Just thinking of something other than "give it flyby."
Maybe to be less magical, it gives advantage to survival checks when made to determine direction?
I'm just brain storming, nothing really well thought out.
>>
>>47678441
>Maybe to be less magical, it gives advantage to survival checks when made to determine direction?
That's a good one, as far as I know at least they fly for weeks at a time without getting lost. Not sure how helpful it is mechanically though, even in a hexcrawl campaign you usually know where north is and such.
>>
>>47672936
Is your player a reaper Cleric? If he's trying to summon the undead and then be able to bolster it then it's kind of out of order.

The first Channel Divinity option comes at level 2 and you aren't getting undead minions until level 5.

But yes the first one is a little overpowered in my opinion. You could switch it maybe to summoning a scaling undead ally for one minute. All the other channel divinities are short blasts of damage or long out of combat effects. As long as you make sure the undead is just decent and lasts as long as it needs to be it will work.

The Command Undead is fine.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>47677043
Here is the exact wording. They stated it as training as a reward, but reference training as a downtime for how to do it.
>>
>>47677088
It say they can only spend your proficiency in amount at one time
>>
>>47678798
Yeah so it is basically >>47678011, an alternate reward rather than a way to spend downtime that can be planned, like boons. Didn't know they actually specified it, but good to know.
>>
>>47678842
Yup, so you can just have your party all learn the mobile or the magic initiate.
>>
>>47678006
How experienced are you as a DM? If new, LMoP, if not, anything you want.
>>
>>47678817

Okay. That seems like an easy way to balance it, although spending 6 points can be kind of strong spread across 5 attacks.
>>
>>47675150
Bless
>>
>>47678741
So in other words, I could do a mini-Animate Dead would work as the level 2 ability (thing needs a minute to be casted, which works as an out of combat effect, albeit not long), but instead summon an Undead that scales as, say, what the Druid can choose to transform with Wild Shape.

So at level 2 it may summon a CR 1/4 Undead (Skeleton and Zombie, as Animate Dead, plus Crawling Claw), a CR 1/2 at level 4 (Shadow and Warhorse Skeleton), and a CR 1 at level 8 (Ghoul and Specter).

Guess the duration should be way shorter than Animate Dead to balance things, but that may work.

Btw, I plan this for a baddie, but I'd be happy to allow a PC to play a necroguy. We need more necromancers in 5e.
>>
>>47675150
Because Bless was already said Shield of Faith and Crusader's Mantle.

Heroism is also good.
>>
>>47679094
With the kind of stuff some of the undead can do, make sure to not have it last very long. I say give it a longer cast time if you want an hour or a 1 action cast for a minute.
>>
what is the best character sheet?
>>
>>47675150
If Fighter is a tank, put Light on his head and any monster with an Intelligence of 2 or lower will be forced to attack him first.
>>
File: magpie-steals-shiny-objects.jpg (54 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
magpie-steals-shiny-objects.jpg
54 KB, 500x332
>>47679178
>giant crow picks up the fighter and uses him to build his nest

nice going
>>
>>47679237
>Pump a rum! Pump a rum!
>>
>>47679178
Alternatively put it on the rogue you are sure is picking your pockets when you aren't looking.
>>
>>47679237
Giant crow for dinner it is.
>>
>>47674510
I adapt and fuse them into wizards and call the class bladesinger.

But really they are just fast muscle mages and much less wuxia (which implies mundane fighting).

So i just deal with them in 2 different ways.
I either fuse their features excluding ki with bladesinger or make them a Wis based version of an Eldritch knight archetype for fighters.
>>
Usually play CG spellcasters, so I thought I'd brew up some LE frontliners instead. Which character concepts would you rather see at your table?

1) Noble, Half-Elf Valor Bard who ran off from home to seek fame and gain experiences to self-aggrandize. Since every lie has a grain in truth, he seeks great adventures to make even bigger lies. More skilled with the sword than his instrument, a crude bugle that he plays incessantly.

2) Mercenary Half-Orc Warlock (pact of blade) who was mortally wounded while raiding a small village and offered a second chance by a fiend. She yearns for a peaceful country life for herself and her parents, but still needs to earn money to buy the land outright the only way she knows how, through her sword.

3) Soldier Human Fighter Battlemaster, who faked his death in a great battle and took on the role of a higher-ranked officer (who actually died) and now seeks a way to climb to the top of his local government, by any means necessary.

None of these characters would be working against the party or actively trying to dick them over, but they wouldn't necessarily be easily swayed by "the greater good" unless they saw something in it for them or were under contract.
>>
Can you, RAW, choose to have 1 Str? Obviously a DM might just say "sure, if you want", but is there any rule that states you are allowed to choose your score for a stat if you choose a number lower than 8?
>>
>>47679621
AFAIK the only official rules for generating stats are 4d6 drop 1, standard array, or point buy -- none of these allow you to do that
>>
>>47679621
RAW stats are gained as follows: point-buy, array and rolling (specified in the manual as 4d6, drop lowest one). The point-buy and array have lowest limit set as 8 and if you rolled all 1's on the dice you'd be set as 3.

So no, RAW and in official AL you cannot. But I mean ask your DM if you want it, 5e is pretty loosey-goose with it.
>>
>>47679680
>>47679652
Can you willingly permit an attack to strike your character without the attack roll surpassing your AC?

The reason I ask is because I want to build (just for the lulz) a 1Dex Hunter Ranger, take Horde Breaker and Volley and use a blowgun on my allies. If n of my allies are within a 10 foot radius circle (n∈Z, n>1), then in one turn, the "hunter" can heal n-1 of them 4HP and one of them 8HP.

I've searched for a rule that states that damage dealt has a minimum but it only states that you apply your modifier. If the modifier is -5, then you add the -5 to the 1 damage a blowgun deals and you deal, as written (as far as I've seen), -4 damage. -4 damage = - (-4 hit points) = +4 hit points.

I don't doubt that it's been mentioned on Jeremy's twitter or whatever that the minimum damage that can be dealt is 0, but I haven't seen it in any errata or official publications.
>>
File: DJH9ps4.png (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
DJH9ps4.png
85 KB, 500x500
>>47679890
How about you play something by yourself instead of being this retarded?
>>
>>47679615
Is #3 a politically inclined Don Draper?
>>
>>47679950
M-maybe. I did steal that bit about swapping identities from Mad Men.
>>
rolling 4d6 is for pussy's, 3D6 Is the way!
>>
>>47679947
>being too autistic to detect irony
God damn it, I'm so sick of the aspies in this general, and in fact, in this hobby. Why does this game attract more autists than fucking sonic the hedgehog? Is there any empirically provable reason?
>>
>>47677944
why would you do that

so they have to roll 50 times to learn a feat? whats the point of that.
>>
>>47680019
>I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED
>>
File: retarded.jpg (40 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
retarded.jpg
40 KB, 349x642
>>47680030
Literally in the post, I stated it was "for the lulz". Your epic meme doesn't apply to this situation, aspie. Try not to lose control of your asperger's here and lash out on an anonymous image board again.
>>
>>47680022
I would only use that if it wasn't done during downtime, but the players were in the middle of campaigning and the player in question decided to read a bit of the book every night before taking a long rest

Just a way to make it actually somewhat difficult while still giving the player a sense of progress, maybe at 20 successes they can ignore loading, and so on until at 50 they unlock the full thing

This doesn't slow down the narrative and awards a reward for diligent study
>>
>>47679976
Good for you then, Mad Men has some really interesting characters
>>
>>47680060
making it "for the lulz" doesn't make it any less retarded. in fact, it makes it more retarded, because you somehow think this idiocy is funny, and because you still use 2007 /b/ terminology
>>
>>47680232
AYYY
OH WOW, NOW I FEEL BAD FOR MESSING WITH THE MENTALLY DISABLED
>>
>>47680285
Holy shit dude are you alright?

>>47679976
And yeah, I'm kinda liking this idea more and more. I figure in the battle, me and this other guy take a fireball but only I survive and I was identified as him mistakenly (we would have had a similar build and the burns would make my face unrecognizable to say the least). I'd refuse a restoration from the army's clerics, stating I preferred the clerics at my own church do the healing, dip out with my (well, his) fat pension and get healed somewhere inconspicuous. Then I can start fresh, with a bag of gold and the whole world in front of me, to make a name for myself. But I'd always have to be wary that I wasn't recognized or outted as a fraud.
>>
>>47680232
Sorry that you're embarrassed that you made a mistake on the internet, but maybe next time you shouldn't be so hostile, considering that you are prone to misinterpreting non-literal statements (and even when they are explicitly stated to be so!).

Your argument that "well its still retarded!!!" is invalid because the assertion I made, referencing that I indeed explicitly stated that I did not consider the build concept seriously, in fact disqualified your epic only pretending meme.

>"also u r a fucking faggot retard for using a meme word that is older than i've been on the epic edgy hate machine 4chan"
Ever considered just browsing >>>/r/4chan instead? I think you'd fit in there much better.

>>47680285
False flag.
>>
>>47680127
ah. i'm attracted to ideas like this, but ultimately i think its still flawed (for me personally, if i were to adapt that for my own use. which i know wasn't the point of your post, but i digress) because i'm not really sure about mechanics that would lead to the party advancing at different rates. better to keep everyone same-y i think.
>>
>>47680405
>>47680381
>>47680285
>>47680232
>>47680060
>>47680030
>>47680019
Thanks guys you shat up another thread.
>>
>>47680723
It's not as bad as it got a thread or to ago when we had to convince someone that 5e was pretty good.
>>
>>47680769
was? It is pretty good.
>>
So guys, session 2 of Death House is this saturday for me and I'm wondering where I should point them if and when they escape.

I was thinking of dropping a flyer outside of the house advertising Madam Eva's fortunetelling so I can finally use the tarokka deck and know where the treasures are

Or should I let them explore on their own? I figure that is a bad idea, because they might explore places that later on turn out to be treasure locations
>>
>>47680785
Verb tense agreement. I was speaking in the past tense thus I had to use the past tense of "is" which is of coarse "was"

5e is pretty good
>>
>>47680769
>>47680785
>>47680912
make 5e great again
>>
>>47680381
The "stolen identity from a dead man" thing is pretty great, I often wish my players came up with stuff like this so I could build upon it

>>47680457
While it does have merit to keep the party power level balanced I believe that giving the players small boons like that for good rp/heroics really encourages good behavior, and I usually try to be equitable and not give things like that out just because
>>
>by default, the only attack actions are attack, grapple, and shove
While removing the inherent penalties that those actions had in 3.5 was absolutely a good idea, I think that gutting the amount of available actions to a standard character was a huge missed opportunity. Why can't we try to disarm or make feinting attacks or gain more options based on what type of weapon we're using?
>>
>>47680723
Sorry, it just makes me very aroused to assert intellectual superiority over people who overtly and unmeritedly challenge me. I need to shoot off my Color Spray somehow, anon.

Anyway, nobody answered my poorly formed question in >>47679890 : Is there a rule officially published anywhere that states that damage dealt can be no lower than 0?
>>
>>47680951
Keep 5e pretty good for now
"Keep America pretty good for now" is going into my next political argument.
>>
>>47680874
Do a private reading to determine where stuff is normally, then change it up if/when they get a normal reading. Even if they explore stuff that are normally treasure locations, most of them are hard as fuck to find if you're not actively looking.
>>
>>47680987
You can do those things, there are rules for them in the DMG
>>
>>47672327
>sharing a dmsguild product
For shame.
>>
>>47680992
To answer your question which is very silly, but everyone else was overreacting no, the rule is not written anywhere that I'm aware of. It is pretty intrinsically understood that if an attacks damage is reduced to zero or less, then the attack does no damage. The idea of hitting someone so softly that it heals them is just silly though, so if I was your DM I would just say that it doesn't work that way.
>>
>>47681004
Keep 5e pretty good forever.
I'm gonna crack if Bern does a reverse swipe and ends up winning the whole thing.
>>
>>47681072
It only has optional rules for disarm. Most of those suggestions aren't attack options.
>>
>>47681022
Makes sense, thanks anon, I'll brush up on my tarokka, only have til saturday to remember all this stuff
>>
>>47681147
Thanks. Like I said, it was just a silly rule-lawyering concept that I decided to flesh out theoretically in the same vein of drowning causing stabilization in 3.5 or whatever.
>>
>Blade Mastery
>+1 Hit and +1 AC are inferior to +2 Dex except when Dex is maxed or when Variant human takes it at first level
>So the feat is only in consideration for high levels or at the very beginning of the game
>+1 AC consumes reaction meaning that it costs you half- damage with Uncanny Dodge, Uncanny Dodge is better at high levels when damage is much higher
>Compared to Duelist, which lets you hold either it or Uncanny Dodge in reserve if one is better, and which actually scales to the point where it would keep the one attack from missing
>So the only good part about the Feat besides the +1 hit (still inferior to +2 Dex until it's maxed), is the Advantage on Opportunity Attacks. The only Rogue that really wants to stick around to make opportunity attacks is the Swashbuckler, who already has auto-Sneak Attack for them.
This Feat doesn't seem that good for Rogues. Sword and board Fighters might be candidates but their job already uses their Reaction full time. Is this feat only useful for melee Rangers? Is there a Cleric build that would use this? Who the fuck is this for?
>>
>>47681194
There are general guidelines for improvising actions

Another thing you can do is use the same rules as battlemaster manouvers but remove the damage component

Wanna trip a guy with a whip? Make an attack roll and do no damage but the guy has to pass a dc(8+prof+str or dex) saving throw or go prone

And so on
>>
>>47681247
I'd honestly give the full benefits of a fighting style if I was going to do this, the weapon mastery feats in there are shit and the Swordmaster feat is still pretty much DD.
>>
>>47681247
For people that want to use their sword to block and/or want advantage on attacks of oportunity

It could be worded more like defensive duelist, maybe it will once it is officially released, remember it's just an example
>>
What is an interesting name/concept for a forest?
>>
>>47681332
The problem is +1 to hit is a really, really shit bonus for just +1 to AC for a reaction. Defensive Duelist gives you your full prof bonus, which means you start out with a shield (the item) and you end up with at-will shield (the spell) by level 10.
>>
>>47681494
+1 to hit is really nice in a system that's reluctant to hand out piles of tiny, stacking bonuses. My problem with +1 to hit is that the system should remain reluctant to hand out piles of tiny, stacking bonuses and this is a step down a slippery slope. Did we learn nothing from 3.PF?
>>
>>47681601
Same in general.
I would allow the craft feats as is, straight away, but I would have to go and remodel the mastery feats more like DD or PM/Sharpshooter
>>
>>47681601
As long as we don't have a shitton of classes and races, I'm ok. We can have a shitton of monsters though.

Things should be kept simple this time, homebrew is at its prime if anyone wants to add something in.
>>
>>47681492
A regular looking forest on the outside, but about 100 yards in the ground is actually slowly shifting toward the center.

The movement is imperceptible because it is so slow, but staying put for a while (say, to make camp) will actually pull you toward the center a good half mile, so it always seems like it takes much longer to leave than to enter

In the center of the forest there is a hole that acts as a portal to [insert plane or demiplane here] where there is a whole ruined city
Long ago people cleared a section of the forest and built a town, but it slowly got swallowed up by the forest, they mamaged to survive for a while in [plane or demiplane] but were eventually all [thing that happens to people in plane or demiplane] and never managed to find their way back

In order to leave, the party must [quest]
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.