[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Heavy metal DnD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: kings_of_metal.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kings_of_metal.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
Hey fa/tg/uys,

So I've been working on a DnD campaign where instead of magic being used in spells or casting in the traditional sense, all magic is bardic, think Brutal Legend from 2009.

While I really like the idea of people using electric guitars and basses to turn goblins into mush, I'm not sure how to categorize the magics.

I've thought to put attack magic with guitars, buffs on bass/singing, debuffs on drums, and rituals to be done in a "performance".

Would it instead be better to make Wizard/Warlock/Sorcerer/Bard spells into the instruments, however?

I also added WW1 era weaponry and 40k ork esque vehicles, so they have a primitive, yet potent ability. How would I keep that balanced with swords and sorcery? I'm thinking to use the 40k rules for vehicles, but with a d20.
>>
I just saw this thread on some other /tg/...
>>
>>47671656
Yeah, same guy. not getting too much advice over there though
>>
>>47671634
Just use Dark Heresy 2.0 rules for the combat. Melee is very viable.
>>
I think it's important to think about how the music is played. A base layer drum beat is going to be great for a continual buff, but the solo moments and lead ins could be great for casting more powerful spells.

I would probably make it so that instruments had different base properties, like elements or schools of magic for example, and then base the effect on how the instrument is played. That way, different classes could use the instrument but have varying uses.

Say this guitar is a lightning based guitar. Playing a rhythm could have a continuous effect like hasting the party, playing short licks and power chords could be your single target spells like blind or lightning bolt, your solos for more powerful spells like chain lightning. Then your bigger spells and rituals would count on continuous harmonies with other instruments.

You could even go further in saying that this pick would give a bonus to single target spells or that microphone gives advantage when you target a member of your party.
>>
File: God.jpg (33 KB, 570x312) Image search: [Google]
God.jpg
33 KB, 570x312
>>
>>47671634
made me think of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MxRMwX2SdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4IprJww8w
>>
>>47671634
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Hail_and_Kill
>>
>>47671634
Honestly?

I'd run it in Rune Quest.

A system based on heavy metal should be about striving towards the metal ideal.

In a classless skill based system anybody can become a Metal God if they practice hard enough.

Plus the system is already balanced around potentially anybody developing spellcasting abilities; a powerful warrior who picks up some heavy metal magic isn't going to be considered OP in the same sense as if he were say, some sort of crazy Gish Bard/Paladin in a class based system.
>>
>>47674315
I remember those threads like they were yesterday, they were good stuff.

Nobody liked my suggestions though.
>>
>>47674315
Oh i remember this, the physical demonstration that /tg/ can't into metal.
>>
>>47671634
Have each school of magic be a separate genre.
>>
>>47674108
I think I should add a God known as the Motor Head, who ascended to Godhood after playing the best bass in the world.

>>47674295
This is exactly how I imagined it, but with more diesel and gatling guns

>>47674315
I've read this, it's really helpful! I would pump in more tech though
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.