[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ Shadowrun General - Y'All Need A Mentor Spirit Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73
File: Mentor Spirits.png (342 KB, 716x402) Image search: [Google]
Mentor Spirits.png
342 KB, 716x402
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Scallion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to Adept Online, Free 500 Megapulses...

*Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
*Last Viewed Files: >>>47626737
*Dont_Deal_With_Shadow_Spirits_Get_Swole_Instead_Dragonslayers_Guide_To_Pacts.epub
*Sun_Dance_Hooks_Go_Terribly_Wrong.trd
*Making_Wax_Vessels.sklchp
*Throwing_Manabolts_At_The_Boss.sim

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score:146 (81% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Have You Heard The Good News? Giraffe Loves You'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked
>https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage:
>http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running EhranGetsAHotDicking.btl...

>Watch your back
>shoot straight
>conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

So what's the best relationship you had with a Mentor Spirit? How have they guided you on your magical journey? What's the best variant one (i.e. not the literal animal from the book, but a reinterpreted spirit) you've heard of?
>>
File: Hoplite.jpg (110 KB, 582x800) Image search: [Google]
Hoplite.jpg
110 KB, 582x800
Thinking about making a Greek MysAd/Adept (haven't decided yet whether or not to just get Adept Spell) who worships the Dodekatheon (i.e. the Gods of Olympus).

I know there are collapsible spears, is there a collapsible shield so I can be an Instant Hoplite?
>>
File: Ovitz Dwarfs.jpg (99 KB, 749x370) Image search: [Google]
Ovitz Dwarfs.jpg
99 KB, 749x370
Making up a Qabbalist mage to join my roster of 'characters I'm probably never going to play, but may one day use for a convention game I run'.

Would it cause problems to make the character a dwarf? Do you think it could offend anyone? (not 'should they be offended' but 'is it likely to cause offence'?)
>>
>>47661159
Well, a competent decker can programm SmartSteel into any form, so you could have a bracer that unwraps itself into a shield.

It would have to be massive tho, a shield needs a lot of material
>>
>>47661416
Repurposed cyberarm casemod made of smart steel worn as a glove. Decoration when not in use, shield when SHTF.
>>
>>47661416
>>47661446
You can't just buy SmartSteel though, right? You can reprogram the Memory Blade, but I don't know even of other products made with that substance, let alone getting a big sheet.

Ideally I'm looking for something within the rules, before bringing requests for homebrew to the GM.
>>
>>47661143
Wolf Spirit taught our team's high-strung Yak-connected miko to be slightly less psychotic, paranoid and grasping and put a little faith in her pack (which is to say, the crew). There was a surprisingly effecting scene where her bizarrely-friendly Yak neighbors were going to throw her a birthday party and she invited us. She even talked down the housing committee when she insisted no one hassle the troll.

Wolf-Mom didn't just guide her through her journey to greater magical might. She taught her how to be a better person.
>>
>>47661143
>So what's the best relationship you had with a Mentor Spirit?
I've only played one character with a mentor spirit so far, and he was a Hermatic so they were on really bad terms. He thought Snake was just a hallucination caused by him no longer being able to afford his medication, and she thought he was a violent sociopath who was only worth putting up with because he was technically trying to solve a mystery.

One character I have planned is going to have a bit of a better relationship with their mentor tho. They're a raven shaman/face, with raven refluffed as Anansi. They met in a bar when a physical manifestation of Anansi tried to get the mage to foot the bill for his drinking. Mage figured out he was being played, but paid anyway in return for being taught the secret tricks of everyone's favorite con man who is also a spider.
Anansi's thing is despite supposedly being a mentor spirit, he's like, really petty and involved in the physical world. Spirit quests given by him are less "go slay a dragon" or whatever and more "I need a million nuyen by midnight or the spirit mafia will break all eight of my legs." (This is a lie, he just wanted a million nuyen but didn't want to go get it himself.)
>>
>>47661159
It's pretty iffy, but see if your GM will let you put Easy Breakdown on the shield?

Still not exactly fast (2 or 3 passes), but it may work.
>>
>>47661466
Combine multiple Memory Blades?
>>
File: Myth-O-Mania.jpg (22 KB, 242x364) Image search: [Google]
Myth-O-Mania.jpg
22 KB, 242x364
>>47661159
>Greek MysAd

Is there even a Greek Tradition?

Drain: Willpower+Intuition

Preferred Spells
Shapechange
Orgy
>>
File: Conan.jpg (125 KB, 736x924) Image search: [Google]
Conan.jpg
125 KB, 736x924
>>47661143
My current character follows Conan as his mentor spirit.

Ever since he grew up in the barrens he was devoted to Conan. He loved Conan so much, he had all the franchise and comics he could find. "Conan is love, Conan is life" was the prayer he repeated every evening.

And Conan heard him. Now he follows him in every aspect of his life. Conan gives him the might he needs to crush his enemies. He lets him call forth and enslave the spirits of the warriors and beasts that the great Conan slaughtered.

He lives, he burns with life, he slays, he loves, and is content. All thanks to Conan the destroyer
>>
>>47661364
SGL approve SJW pandering. Just make said dwarf a ts nigger.
Why the fuck do you even care, goddammit
>>
File: FeralSpirit.gif (2 MB, 300x454) Image search: [Google]
FeralSpirit.gif
2 MB, 300x454
Which interesting spirits are used in your games (like >>47657478 )?
>>
>>47661611
That's the kind of kludge I was hoping to avoid. Duct-taping a bunch of swords together does not a shield make, especially when the 'active' shape of the sword is a straight piece of metal.

>>47661572
That's a good idea. I'll run it by the GM- If someone can have a rifle that automatically collapses into a convenient carrying case, a few wedges locking into a circle should be relatively simple.
>>
File: 1428405393502.jpg (65 KB, 383x397) Image search: [Google]
1428405393502.jpg
65 KB, 383x397
>>47661737
How is that pandering? I don't want to do something racist in front of strangers who want to play a game with me in a public place. It's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain or relationships with real people outside of /r9k/ why I wouldn't want to be offensive or make people uncomfortable in that situation.
>>
>>47661777
I was more thinking about reprogramming them to reshape as a shield together. But see with your GM what floats his boat.
>>
>>47661159
I was actually thinking of making a Greek/Mediterrean human metavariant that is physically superior to baseline humans in every way, but are emotionally stunted/volatile and had an distinct aversion to wearing clothing. Probably called hemitheoi or somesuch.
>>
>>47662039
>insert joke about Greeks here
>>
>>47661952
Maybe you and I are reading this differently.

>The weapon’s sheath can be formed into a piece of clothing or put in some other appropriate place to hide the weapon. If the weapon’s grip is concealed as well the Concealability modifier is –4 in order to detect the weapon. The memory blade requires a Complex Action to harden or become flexible again in addition to the Simple Action for readying or drawing the weapon.
>Changing the shape of the blade requires a Software + Logic [Mental] (8, 1 minute) Extended Test.

I'm seeing it as "When hardened, the sword is sword-shaped. When made flexible, you can have it programmed to be flexible in different ways, following the sheath."

The examples they give, from bracelets to belts to shoes, do not require that the metal be firm enough to be useful as either a weapon or a shield. I can't program a bunch of swords to be various flexible disguised elements, but then harden into a shield shape, because the hardened shape is always the same sword shape.
>>
>>47661710
>Is there even a Greek Tradition?
Sketchy. The idea of a magic tradition is that it is representative of how you perceive life as a whole. It must be so intrinsic to who you are as to be second nature. To be part of a Greek magic tradition is to believe the Greek pantheon is real and relevant in your life.
>>
>>47662065
>To be part of a Greek magic tradition is to believe the Greek pantheon is real and relevant in your life.

I mean, that's not out of the question. I'm sure that Olympus is some kind of astral shallow/alchera/just has a crazy high background count due to millenia of belief and it's importance in literature as a home of the gods, and people have brought back every other religion from Age of Mythology as a tradition.
>>
File: Arachne.jpg (100 KB, 711x948) Image search: [Google]
Arachne.jpg
100 KB, 711x948
>>47662093
But why would you willingly be party to a bunch of assholes who curse humans for making them look bad? Look what happened to Arachne: depending on the story, she either beat Athena in a weaving contest or created a weaving during the contest depicting Zeus and his debauchery. Either way, Athena got pissed off and cursed her to become the first spider. Why would you put yourself at risk like that?
>>
File: s9qavplqtdsva8gvsk5a.gif (2 MB, 640x252) Image search: [Google]
s9qavplqtdsva8gvsk5a.gif
2 MB, 640x252
Where can I find stats for a chainsaw in 5th?
>>
>>47662123
A couple possible reasons

1) Greek Pride. They're not perfect gods, but they're our gods.

2) If you live in Greece, you might think it prudent. After all, those Yankees got blown up by the native gods, better to sacrifice a ram to Zeus every now and then and not get on his shitlist.

3) You think you would be a hero, in the Classical sense. You have power and a fate given to you, you have no choice in the matter.

And finally, the reason why anyone is a part of any religion.

4) You think it's true.

>>47662145
Run and Gun 21.
>>
>>47662123
Although to be fair, Arachne was proclaiming she was the greatest weaver in the world, and Athena - who claims weaving as one of her domains - said "1v1 me irl no balls."
>>
>>47661805
I don't really get the ACTUAL problem, Dwarf's a playable race
>>
File: archive-tan.jpg (164 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
archive-tan.jpg
164 KB, 1200x1200
Does anyone here have these PDFs that the OP in these linked forum threads posted yet disabled from DropBox? If so, then pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease post them.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=14877.0
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=40247
>>
>>47661364
Why would Dwarf be a problem? That's one of the core races.
>>
>>47661143
I had an Elf Bear SHaman who liked doing any drug he could get his hands on.
Bear helped him get clean. Also the withdraws kicked in my Vision Quest when I took that rank of Magic.
>>
>>47662505
Check pastebin chummer.
It's packaged with the 5th edition link in the mega download section.
>>
>>47662505
The Hayek sheets are already in the pastebin, anon.

>>47662479
>>47662515
Because of the "big nose, loves gold, secretive and insular people" connection, anons. I can't tell if you're sheltered little babies who are actually ignorant of the long-running "are Dwarves Jews" debate, or trolling.
>>
>>47662535
Anyone who knows that "Dwaves are Jews!" thing isn't going to give a shit, unless you tell them (And it sounds like you're the kind of self-sabotaging idgit who would) and everyone else aren't even going to know.
God, you sound like an asshole.
>>
>>47661542
>Anansi's thing is despite supposedly being a mentor spirit, he's like, really petty and involved in the physical world. Spirit quests given by him are less "go slay a dragon" or whatever and more "I need a million nuyen by midnight or the spirit mafia will break all eight of my legs." (This is a lie, he just wanted a million nuyen but didn't want to go get it himself.)

Why would he want a million nuyen at all? I can see Anansi asking someone to get a busload of big-tittied women, or the best fresh fruit from the ACHE gardens, but why would he want cash? He's a spirit without rules, he doesn't need cash, and Anansi was never greedy for gold.
>>
>>47662535
Maybe don't play them that way, then?
>>
>>47662574
Because he wants to use it to buy other things
>>
>>47662567
You're right, there's no way that anyone at a gaming convention would be familiar something like a long-running debate strongly influenced by the works of Tolkien. After all, nerds are famous for their ignorance about their hobbies and not taking firm positions over trivialities.

>>47662581
I'm not playing them, that's the point. I'm handing out character sheets at a con. "OK, here's the selection, we've got an elf razorboy, a human rigger, an orc decker, and a dwarf Jew wizard. Pick one."

>>47662598
But why would he want to buy things? Why involve the middle man of money, when you're a pseudo-omnipotent spirit? What possible things could he want that he needs to purchase with cash, instead of just telling the mage to go get that?
>>
>>47662633
So just remove the word Jew, you fucking retard.
>>
Possession on living targets: Good idea or no?
>>
>>47662633
>Anyone who knows that "Dwaves are Jews!" thing isn't going to give a shit
You missed the first part of the sentence. Nerds intimate with out hobbies aren't exactly known for caring about this kind of crap.
>>
>>47662652
Hard to pull off. Net +2 for your team if it works. (One less on the opponent's, one more temporarily on yours.)
>>
>>47662652
Willing or not?

Willing, it can be pretty damn effective with the right spirit and host (Guardian spirits can have the ability to have any Combat skill, which means any Weapon skill, so you can turn a bunch of gangers into a pretty sweet flashmob of death).

Unwilling, it definitely gets you in trouble, because mind magic is a big no-no, and having a spirit possess a person and use their body to commit crimes is pretty much the same thing as Control Thoughts.

>>47662633
>After all, nerds are famous for their ignorance about their hobbies and not taking firm positions over trivialities.

You missed the second part of mine. Nerds intimate with the hobby are well known for having hang-ups about all kinds of things that enrage and insult them, from weird bits of fluff to rule interpretations to things like perceived racism, especially at cons where you have no idea what kind of person will join the game.
>>
>>47662719
My bad, meant second bit for >>47662676
>>
>>47662719
And if someone's entirely an idiot because you present a dwarf and they think all dwarves are jews, that's on them, not you. It's unlikely, but if it happens, fuck them, it's not your fault, and most people wno't THINK it's your fault.
>>
File: good ending.jpg (86 KB, 374x520) Image search: [Google]
good ending.jpg
86 KB, 374x520
>>47662123
No different from any other source of magic desu

It takes balls to deal with spirits.
>>
File: Get Me Laughter!.gif (446 KB, 280x153) Image search: [Google]
Get Me Laughter!.gif
446 KB, 280x153
>>47662764
das nice
>>
File: 1369247821830.jpg (31 KB, 950x634) Image search: [Google]
1369247821830.jpg
31 KB, 950x634
>>47662764
>Harlequin fucks up summoning an elemental and gets a magic aneurysm
There is justice in this world.
>>
>>47662764
So if your mentor spirit is Athena, they would ask you to beat the fuck out of someone for shittalking her?
>>
>>47662574
I was just using it as an example of material things that he wants.
Besides, he's got a spirit wife and spirit kids to feed, and like fuck he's going to grow food himself.
>>
File: Pygmalion.png (131 KB, 843x344) Image search: [Google]
Pygmalion.png
131 KB, 843x344
>>47662869
I can absolutely see a Greek God mentor spirit using you for petty reasons.

>Psst. Hey, Anonymage.

>Yes, Lord Poseidon?

>That chick in the green bikini is hot.

>She is indeed very beautiful, my lord.

>Levitate her into the ocean. I want me some of that.

>But my lord, that biotroll is clearly her boyfrie-

>THE SEA COMMANDS IT!

>*sigh* Yes, my lord.

>Hey. Chuck me one of them soydogs too. Extra chili.
>>
File: Poseidon.jpg (171 KB, 820x820) Image search: [Google]
Poseidon.jpg
171 KB, 820x820
>>47662915
>You want to initiate? Then your quest is to get me them titties.
>>
File: Medusa.jpg (624 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
Medusa.jpg
624 KB, 750x1000
>>47662915
>>47662949
>One rendition of the story is that Poseidon raped Medusa in Athena's temple
>Athena, to prevent it from happening again, turned her into the most famous gorgon
This is the rationale you have to deal with.
>>
File: h7dr65azn52.jpg (24 KB, 173x299) Image search: [Google]
h7dr65azn52.jpg
24 KB, 173x299
>>47662949
>>47662915
Can see it now as well.
>>
>>47662971
Dear smiteposter; why are we not playing together?
>>
File: Athena splash.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Athena splash.jpg
372 KB, 1920x1080
>>47662987
Because I haven't played SMITE in roughly a year.
>>
>>47662123
>But why would you willingly be party to a bunch of assholes who curse humans for making them look bad?
Because if you don't they'll curse you. Same reason shopkeeps pay protection money.
>>
File: uHQfibf.png (1 MB, 874x784) Image search: [Google]
uHQfibf.png
1 MB, 874x784
>>47663000
You're breaking my heart anon
>>
>>47662915
Mentor spirit Aphrodite would get you to fuck some bitch in particular.
>You know that elf runway model, the 9.5/10 who's been doing those perfume commercials?
>Yeah?
>I want you to exalt in my blessings with her, so that I may partake of her beauty.
>...You want me to bang the shit out of her?
>In so many words, yes.
>But she lives halfway across the country and is under constant protection.
>Love waits for no one.
>>
>>47662574
Who the heck is Anansi? I don't recognize that mentor spirit from 5e core or street grimoire.
>>47662719
Willing, although unwilling sounds hella rad.
Only possession traditions can shove spirits into enemies, then?
>>
>>47663167
You can also give an ally spirit multiple manifestation options, and both possession and it's big brother are in there.
>>
>>47663167
Read back, it's a homebrewed Raven spirit
>>
File: Scion Party.jpg (114 KB, 1024x528) Image search: [Google]
Scion Party.jpg
114 KB, 1024x528
>>47663047
Reminds me of a quest in the Scion core book adventure (which assumes you're going to be playing the premade characters, including a son of Aphrodite).

>A married couple arrives in town for a weekend getaway, but they're clearly not in love anymore
>Aphrodite charges the Scion getting them to hook up with new people that they do love. Actually breaking them up first (instead of organizing double adultery) or ensuring they fall in love with actual people (the book suggests kindling a love of singing through a failed date at a concert) is optional.

Actually, all those quests would be great for ancient god mentor spirits.

Horus' quest- The Eye of Horus
>I'm going out of town for a night, stay in my palatial hotel suite and protect this artifact from the son of the Chinese Monkey King who wants to steal it. Also probably some other people are going to try to grab it, I dunno, figure it out.

Tezcatlipoca's quest- The Queen of Flowers
>That mortal looks like the Goddess I love but who won't have me. Steal her from her husband and bring her to me.

Thor's quest- Carry On, Wayward Son
>A Scion of Loki (in SR terms someone devoted to the Loki mentor spirit) is in town doing a deal. I don't know what the deal is, who it's with, or what he's selling, and I don't care; fuck up the deal and bring me whatever shit he's selling.

Susano-o's quest- Recovering the Gift
>My sister once gave me a necklace as a show of solidarity, whose pearls I turned into men. Now I'm angry at her, so I want to give the necklace back. Find out which mortals are descended from those men, and figure out some way to turn them back into pearls.

Baron Samedi's quest- Killing the Dead
>I'm too busy to do my job of laying the dead to rest, now there's some spirits wandering the Earth still in their dead bodies. Kill them properly so I can pick up the spirits.

Oh Scion. You would be great if you weren't so White Wolf.
>>
>>47663240
Ally spirits are expensive as hell though. 8x karma cost? Starting out that's just a force 3 spirit, and that's if you want no other positive qualities.

Speaking of spirits, do Hermetic mages suffer issues when dealing with spirit reputation? If so, wouldn't that Shatter their illusion that spirits aren't figments of your imagination?
>>
File: 1444249992119.jpg (395 KB, 638x900) Image search: [Google]
1444249992119.jpg
395 KB, 638x900
>>47663247
Ah. I thought there was another book floating around. I know Adversary exists, but I've never seen any stats for him.

Also what spirit would be best for KEKAIKU? I think spider works thematically, but none of the spirits presented feel that way. Mountain is sort of like that, but lacks flexibility.
>>
File: blush.jpg (72 KB, 1074x597) Image search: [Google]
blush.jpg
72 KB, 1074x597
>>47663289
Do you have an option to make them fall in love with each other?
>>
File: Bound Fire Spirit.png (72 KB, 201x302) Image search: [Google]
Bound Fire Spirit.png
72 KB, 201x302
>>47663307
Hermetic Mages by the time of 5th edition have accepted that Spirits aren't figments of the imagination, but sapient astral beings. "Mages, unsurprisingly, take a somewhat arrogant view on conjuring. The mage tends to believe that spirits are intelligent but inferior beings predestined for servitude." I tend to play out Hermetics a little more respectful to spirits at my table than what the corebook says.

>do Hermetic mages suffer issues when dealing with spirit reputation?
I would say that the Hermetic mindset of spirits as servants definitely starts all spirit relationships (and your reputation) off with some real animosity. However regardless of your mindset, long as you don't force your spirits to sustain your invisibility spells and keep them out of toxic areas, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the astral planes.
>>
>>47663307
Allyson spirits are expensive, but if you can save up, they're scary strong.

And I'm pretty sure that nobody outside of some of the oldest Psionic tradition people think that spirits are figments.

Iirc, hermetics don't think of them as innately people, but 'know' how metaplanes and beliefs work.
>>
>>47663414
The quests are all very loosey-goosey. Basically it ends when Aphrodite no longer cares about mucking around with their lives, which happens when they find love/happiness, however fleeting. If you can make them fall in love with each other again, she might accept that.

Or she might smite them, because she's a jealous harpy who hates the thought that other people would be happy in marriage when she is not. Hard to tell with Greek gods which way they'll jump.
>>
File: 1464803244029.jpg (156 KB, 649x675) Image search: [Google]
1464803244029.jpg
156 KB, 649x675
My Wise Warrior mentor spirit took a young black street tough off the streets of Lagos and taught him that life is about more than just manufacturing awakened drugs and bombs and selling them to local extremist groups, its about helping your neighbor and making new friends.
My necromancer has since turned his mastery of the darkest arts towards rebuilding the community and feeding the homeless (while still making bombs on the side for fun)
>>
Not sure if that anon who was asking about different systems is still around, but now that I've read Interface Zero 2.0 a bit more:

Cleanly written, darker and more believable/realistic universe of 2090. Mechanically though I find Savage Worlds too shallow. I have yet to find that happy medium. The search continues.
>>
>>47663167
>Anansi
African trickster figure, and also one of the reasons I think most of the archetypes should be decoupled from animals cuz it is really stupid the Anansi the spider is mechanically Raven.
>>
>>47663615
How would you decouple it? The animal imagery is used in the context of Western literary tradition (as are ideas like the Dragonslayer), specifically Native traditions that used to be the only ones with mentor spirits, but explicitly the title of it doesn't matter. If what you think mechanically the best expression of Anansi is happens to be called Raven in the book, it tells you to take it and make it Anansi.
>>
>>47663307
You don't suffer any issues for being a hermetic, but you suffer issues for doing things hermatics do such as mistreating spirits.
>>
Help me, /srg/, you're my only hope
My group's infiltrator seems to think I'm trying to kill him. I'm the GM, and every time the option for sneaking somewhere comes up, he specifically avoids it, instead trying to find a tall building a few blocks away so he can snipe, in an effort to avoid getting shot. Similarly, as soon as he thinks something isn't going perfectly, he shuts off all his communications (side note, that leaves the rest of the group exposed matrix-wise, as he's the head of their PAN)
I've tried bringing it up with him, and he starts talking about not wanting to go into a hostile situation alone.
How can I show him sneaking into places isn't an automatic death sentence if he won't sneak anywhere?
>>
>>47663665
>How would you decouple it?
I'd call it trickster.
It's not just refluffing Raven into another trickster figure that pisses me off, it's also things like how Morrigan, who is usually represented by a raven, is most definitely not Raven, and likewise Anansi the spider bears no resemblance to Spider the mentor spirit.
>>
>>47663741
>>47663665
Basically what I did once. Was doing a Hawaiin mage, DM and I decided Raven fluffed as Spider was the best way to go about it.
>>
File: shadowrun-infiltrator.jpg (68 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun-infiltrator.jpg
68 KB, 500x666
>>47663715
Put some pressure on the rest of the group to put pressure on him to do his goddamned job.

Also take advantage of how his fuckups leave the group open for disaster. Doesn't want to infiltrate? Take advantage of the fact that your group is going in without intel, so they're running into more resistance than they thought. Shuts off the PAN? Have the enemy spider start hacking the shit out of the team's stuff. Make it all clear that these events are his fault when they're his fault.

One or two deaths will fix his behavior. If not, then the group should (in character) kick is infiltrator out--if they don't kill him.
>>
>>47663741
Well, yeah. Different cultures have different interpretations of animals in folklore, and even within certain frameworks animals can be more than one thing (ravens as symbols of death or wily bastards, and I'm sure there's a dozen more out there).

I'd say that taking all of them down to the most broad names like Trickster would be losing some of the charm. It's not much, just putting another step between the mentor spirit's mechanics and the feeling of it actually in the fluff. As it is, people playing the most common traditions (shaman and hermetic) can grab a totem and use them as is, and people who want to do something like play a Celt mage worshipping Morrigan can take a minute, look at the mentor spirits, and decide what works best.

It's always going to require a bit of flexibility, but better to have it obvious for some people and refluff for others, than be a paste that everyone has to refluff to make them interesting living totems.
>>
>>47663715
If he doesn't want to infiltrate, then why is he the fucking infiltrator?
>>
>>47663715
give him a small run where he has to sneak (snipe? you're in a fucking forest/ inside a facility/ somewhere else you can't really snipe) and give him some average guards.
Make it that he sees what you can do while infiltrating. Let him know that even if he is seen it's not the end of the run, as long as they can't call the other guards/ sound the alarm. Avoiding enemies/ sensors should be top priority.

Also make sure that he understands than THERE IS NO MILK RUN. Every run will go off the rails, the only thing you can do is try to make the fall less dangerous.

If after that he still doesn't care, do this >>47663814
Make him see, that if he doesn't change, the group will change; most likely into one without him.
>>
>>47663836
>It's not much, just putting another step between the mentor spirit's mechanics and the feeling of it actually in the fluff.
See, I find the animal names to be a step between them because every tradition is capable of following a mentor spirit, yet all the mentor spirits have fluff dedicated to ONE tradition. Like, the mentor spirit fluff doesn't even make sense with Hermetics, and they're in the fucking corebook.
>>
File: 1465035468470.jpg (176 KB, 640x741) Image search: [Google]
1465035468470.jpg
176 KB, 640x741
Hold on a bit.

A lot of you have stories where your Runners are hanging out often. Aren't Runners supposed to be a crew of random, but skilled people that the Johnson/Proxy brought together? I thought most people did a job and then blew it on murderhoboing/debts stuff.
>>
>>47663872
> Milk run
The best thing to do is like, 6 or so missions in, is to give them a real, actual milk run.

Runners won't know what to do with themselves. It'll be amazing.
>>
>>47663971
Varies. Runners working as a group or partners or whatever isn't exactly uncommon.
>>
>>47663971
It depends. In fluff, the European style (specifically the Germans) is to do each run with a group of runners tailored specifically for that job and assembled by the fixer the Johnson got in touch with. After the run, the group disperses.

In other places, the convention is that the fixer manages one or more parties of runners that typically work together, and the Fixer tries to find a Johnson looking for that array of skills. The runners all know each other well and have at least a working relationship, though it usually includes actual friendships between at least some members.

Obviously, the latter situation is better for an RPG, because you can have some good roleplay interactions when all the characters don't think about each other as assets for this run you don't want to get close to, but as people.
>>
>>47662535
So don't play up the anti-semetic negative stereotypes, make their qabbalic dedication the focus of the character and make them as you'd make any other mage.

I don't see why it'd be a problem if you just exercise an ounce of sense. As long as you're tasteful and not shit-for-brains-/pol/-bait, nobody will have a valid criticism against the character.

There are Jewish dwarfs, there will be Jewish Qabbalists, and Jewish Qabbalist Mages.
>>
>>47662764
Good old 1e Corebook.

All the legends being used as example runners in mechanic explanations is always funny.
>>
File: phoenix embarassed.gif (29 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
phoenix embarassed.gif
29 KB, 256x192
So, where do you guys go for maps for roll20? Do you all tend to make them, or just copy floor plans of places? If I were to want to make something, is there a map making tool that's good to use, or should I just ghetto one using roll20?
>>
>>47664314
Use the Shadowrun Returns map editor
>>
>>47664314
>>47651586
>>
>>47663971

The people of the 6th world trust each other very much. Any four random strangers in a Stuffer Shack shootout can easily get together to put down money for a group vehicle, a group safehouse, and share expenses without finding it strange.

Also, you know, RPG. If the GM just ran runs where the players chose between one of four characters each for a specific job, it'd just play out like Runnerhub or something.
>>
File: You're Serious.jpg (17 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
You're Serious.jpg
17 KB, 300x256
>>47664443
>The people of the 6th world trust each other very much.
>>
>>47664483
>thinking he's serious
>>
>>47664383
>>47664405
Thanks guys
>>
>>47663979
They'll tear themselves apart planning for all the things that can go wrong or get themselves killed by investigating Mr Johnson because it has to be a set up.
>>
>>47664560
Alternatively:
>"Do you know how much dosh I just dropped on these military drones? Do you know how many men I've cut open to get to this point?"
>"I'm not *walking* to the fragging Stuffer to *buy* a fragging two liter of soy milk."
>"But-"
>"PUT ON YOUR HELMET, ITS TIME FOR BREAKFAST"
>>
>>47663979
Must agree, after shadowrunning hard, simple break, enter and steal the gadget run was quite strange case. After the job was done the feelings were quite "thats it, felt too easy". We being paranoid mofos went underground for better part of month
>>
Is encumbrance determined by the number of extra pieces you're wearing, or the armor value of those pieces?

For example, with 2 Strength, could I wear 2 extra pieces (Ballistic mask, forearm guards, totalling +3) or can I only wear +2 armor worth of extra stuff? (Just the mask)
>>
>>47661143
I've taken a shining to Rat after talking to some people who own them as pets. Turns out they fit my character really well with their sociability, sweet tooth and capacity for learning.
>>
Are any of the martial arts good for shooting people with a pistol? 5e question
>>
>Have a 2nd Ed. Game starting this weekend
>Break out my best up copy of the core book
>Flip to chargen section
>Wait what holy shit what is going on
>Optional priorities enabled oh jesus what does that do

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong or something. But damn, this kinda complex
>>
>>47665052
Wait, do you like the Rat totem, or rats as pets for your character? I doubt you'll be feeding sugar cubes to a mentor spirit.
>>
>>47665018
Armor value
>>
>>47665018
It's armor value, but the good news is that you only start taking penalties once you're two points of +armor over.

So that Str 2 guy could have the Ballistic Mask and the Forearm Guards and take no penalty. If it was Mask and two pieces of PPP, then Str 2 takes a -1 penalty to Agi and Rea.
>>
Can anyone think of a good alias for a "street magician" (not awakened, think copperfield) face?
>>
>>47665381
Inferior Version?
>>
>>47665381
Blaine, Cardshark, Tophat, Rabbit, Saw
>>
>>47665381
Old-School
>>
>>47665381
Ehrich Weisz. Martin Beck. Theodore Hardeen. Martinka.

Basically, look up a famous magician and steal a name or two from there. (Like I did with Houdini.)
>>
File: oxo.jpg (122 KB, 466x750) Image search: [Google]
oxo.jpg
122 KB, 466x750
>>47662123
Belief is not necessarily a choice one consciously makes. Once somebody has been convinced of something, whether by upbringing or by "evidence" it becomes cemented in their mind. A devout christian believes in God in the same way that people believe in gravity - the exact nature of it could be debated, but the fact of it is not even a question. Anybody who has a different belief is at best delusional, denying the obvious truth of the matter. The same goes for any pantheon - people "know" it to be truth.
Hell, the fact that the Greek gods are the way they are actually makes a lot of sense - of course the world is shitty with those assholes in charge. Every bit of shittiness the world has to offer is simply further proof in the mind of the faithful. The best a person can do in that situation is to pay the proper respects and hope beyond hope that one of the almighty assholes will take a liking to them and offer protection.
I imagine a Greek mage in shadowrun would have kind of a confusing mish-mosh of the ancient pantheon and Greek orthodox symbols and traditions. Lots of saints draped in fabrics wearing winged sandals and the like.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 960x640
>>47665509
>>
>>47663016
They improve it at all?
>>
File: Cho6raCXIAYraBr.jpg large.jpg (89 KB, 600x785) Image search: [Google]
Cho6raCXIAYraBr.jpg large.jpg
89 KB, 600x785
>>47665811
Remodeled a bunch of shit like they do every season, bunch of new gods, added a weeb pantheon, new items, and now we have a bunch of MMO like events.
>>
>>47662145
>>47662163

It's so dumb that monofilament combat chainsaws not only exist but are a good idea for a gun-bunny character to mount, as they do good damage in melee without requiring strength...
>>
File: 1432698996106.png (56 KB, 615x629) Image search: [Google]
1432698996106.png
56 KB, 615x629
>>47665906
You mistyped there, anon. It came out 'dumb' but I think you meant 'awesome and mohawk as fuck'.
>>
>>47665679
BEHOLD!
I HAVE CREATED THE UGLIEST SHOES OF ALL TIME!
WITNESS THIS TESTAMENT TO MY GREATNESS!
>>
>>47665906
Honestly, it's not a lot better than a stun-rod or shock-glove due to using Exotic Melee Weapon.

Less accuracy (stun rod), roughly similar damage, no element, but it does last longer and has better reach than a shock glove.

So, unless you're attacking barriers or just want to scare people like crazy, it's not super better.
>>
>>47665101
The totem. A lot of the traits I wanted to have are apparently shared with rats anyway. I just didn't like the cowardly hobo stereotype and it turns out it's unjustified
>>
>>47665930
Dual-chain chainsaw cyberlegs to match, like motorized death skates. Dance your enemies apart.
>>
File: Groovy.webm (3 MB, 704x380) Image search: [Google]
Groovy.webm
3 MB, 704x380
>>47666798
>Liminal Body- Chainsaw
>>
>>47666230
>Honestly, it's not a lot better than a stun-rod or shock-glove due to using Exotic Melee Weapon.
That's why you mount it on a drone and then use gunnery. Plus, it avoids all the questions as to what the hell drones use instead of strength.
>>
>>47667012
I think of the examples we have, it looks like the answer is Body.
>>
>>47666157
Like I said, every bit of shittiness in the world is testament to the power of the gods. How could this come to be if not by the will of some almighty asshole with a personal beef against humankind?
>>
Body or limb Strength, apparently, but it's never written anywhere.
>>
Has anyone tried a run with everyone as a single archetype?

>all street sams running a truck straight into the foyer. Using bullets and bombs like lube to get in and out fast enough before the Man shows up, leaving everything wrecked.
>all deckers in a single room playing shitty techno and pirated movies. Magnets and molotov's ready to scrap the place when one of them thinks they're novahot and forgets his OS.
>all faces running a criminal attorney place helping punks get back on the street in return for favors. Getting things done by having a vast array of contacts working together.
>>
Alright Chums situation is following, my group is going to start playing SR5 and we only have little bit of experience in SR4. What essential splatbooks would you recommend us to include in our first 5th edition game?
>>
>>47667739
>all mages
They win.
>>
Anyone here good with chummer? I'm making a character and it bugs out on me when I pick the Mentor Spirit and Spiritual Way Qualities as an Adept. Says I have 5 Karma which I do not.
>>
File: TwoDee Icon.png (974 KB, 2465x3104) Image search: [Google]
TwoDee Icon.png
974 KB, 2465x3104
>>47667739
Back in the days of deckertime, we used to have the non-decker players be agents during extended hacking, just to keep everyone engaged.
>>
>>47667870
Copying from long ago
Run Faster (More Qualities)
Chrome Flesh (Cyber-/Bio-/Gene-/Nanoware)
Street Grimoire (Stuff for Mages and Adepts)
Run & Gun (General supplement with gear/advanced rules)
Sixth World Almanac
Also read the storytime in the pastebin and have a look at the missions
>>
File: yeah_me_too.jpg (14 KB, 236x295) Image search: [Google]
yeah_me_too.jpg
14 KB, 236x295
>>47667269
Or God did what people always asked: Create a rock he cannot lift. So he created a rock, but because he was omnipotent, he knew he was still able to lift it. He was able to choose not to lift it though, for nobody has the power to force him to. Until this day, he doesn't touch it, and lets it stay there, as a random pile of particles and proof of his omnipotence. This whole Universe.
>>
File: 1437957820778.jpg (335 KB, 490x600) Image search: [Google]
1437957820778.jpg
335 KB, 490x600
>>47668084
Thanks, Father Bloodpunch. See you at Black Mass next week!
>>
>>47668002
Thanks, we thought to at least use run faster, but weren't really sure about the rest.
>>
>>47667876
Until they fuck up the astral space around them by slinging a ton of spells from different traditions in a short time period. Or they run into a strong background count.
>>
File: 1437948174218.jpg (52 KB, 342x792) Image search: [Google]
1437948174218.jpg
52 KB, 342x792
>>47668194
Or someone throws a FAB grenade.

Or someone throws a smoke grenade and fucks with their line of sight.

Or someone buries them under drones, because they have no electronic warfare.

Or a razorboy comes flying in on a motorcycle and slices them to pieces with his handrazors, because none of them have any melee skill.

There's a lot of ways to kill mages. It's the reason why the archetypes exist in the first place- by definition, no one specialization can do the whole job.
>>
>>47667894
Anyone?
>>
>>47668259
Post a screenshot of the error code if there is one, report it to yekka at github.
>>
>>47667870
Everything that >>47668002 said, with the addition of Rigger 5, which lets you pimp out your cars and also buy some cool drones meguess.
>>47668084
I'll be honest, creating a shitty world to prove a point is even worse than randomly shitting on people because you're a spiteful dick.
>>47668243
>FAB
Not actually sure what this does
>Smoke
Spirits using engulf
>drones
>spirits using engulf
>>
>>47668437
FAB III (The illegal variant) Basically drains your magic/Force

A FAB III cloud moves slowly (1 meter per Combat
Turn), so it is fairly easy to avoid if you know it’s coming. If an
astrally active target comes into contact with a FAB III cloud,
the cloud will attach to it and begin to drain it of magical energy
using its Energy Drain (Magic/Force) power (Touch range,
6 hour Extended Test interval, Stun damage, use Force x 2 for
the Opposed Test; see p. 99). The cloud continues to drain its
target until there is no more energy or it is killed.
Street Magic 4e p126

Most likely the rules for 5e are similar
>>
File: 1442265727818.jpg (147 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
1442265727818.jpg
147 KB, 736x981
>>47668437
FAB is an Awakened bacteria, aerosolized for your convenience, that comes in a variety of flavours, from a simple detection version all the way up to something that kills spirits dead and poisons the manascape so that nothing magic can grow there.

Also, Engulf doesn't remove smoke.

Also, throwing spirits at your problems is effective, but so are the many fine options for countering spirits, from the classic full auto APDS, to background counts and wards, to magic attacks and Awakened critters. And in the long term, treating spirits as bullet sponges will come back to bite you.
>>
>>47668437
>Not actually sure what this does

Fluorescing Astral Bacteria. Basically makes astral forms visible when it comes into contact with them and slows down their movement. at least, that's one of the strains.

Strain 1 simply dies, but god help you if you're a mage and you come into contact with strain 3.
>>
>>47668579
Jesus.Does it stop if you get out of the cloud?
>>47668591
>Also, Engulf doesn't remove smoke.
No, but it also doesn't require line of sight. You just tell the spirits to go kill all the things that aren't you, and then they do it.
>background counts
See, the nice thing about background counts is you know they're there beforehand. And thus know enough to not go there, not take jobs that requires you to go there, etc. Sorta like how a team with a decker won't take jobs that require one.
>magic attacks
Step 1 of being a mage is to kill all the enemy mages so they stop banishing your spirits.
>>
>>47668838
You need to clean FAB3 off or it will keep eating you. It's not too scary in 5e, but will still kill a mage in a couple hours of he just ignores it.
>>
File: 1411514966163.jpg (38 KB, 750x511) Image search: [Google]
1411514966163.jpg
38 KB, 750x511
>>47668437
>I'll be honest, creating a shitty world to prove a point is even worse than randomly shitting on people because you're a spiteful dick.

The world is not shitty, just complex. To an infant or immature mind, it looks like a chaotic place. Given the chance to mature, you will begin to recognize patterns and systems. Everything repeats itself ad infinitum: the closer you look at matter; the further away you look from your very own planet; behaviour, society and history itself.
You see, you say the world is shit. You know of people who say it's shit. But the truth is, you have no understanding of its rules. You are like a monkey; something hurts you, it's bad. And that's why you hate it. It abuses you, and you are not smart enough to be the one abusing it.
>>
>>47668838
It doesn't. You have to actively fight against it, otherwise it just waits till you want to cast again.

A character infected with FAB III can simply stop being
astrally active to hinder a cloud’s feeding. Likewise, objects
like foci can simply be deactivated. The target will still be a
carrier, however, as the bacteria linger and wait for the target
to become astrally active again. Dual-natured critters cannot
cease being astrally active and so have no way to discourage a
cloud of FAB III. FAB III does not seem to exist on the metaplanes,
however, so a spirit can “disinfect” itself by returning
to its home metaplane.
FAB III can be killed according to the standard rules
in astral combat as well as by the Sterilize spell. The Cure
Disease spell can also destroy it; treat FAB III as a disease
with Power equal to its Force. If it is reduced to 0, the cloud
is destroyed.
FAB III clouds with nothing to feed on begin to starve,
losing one point of Force a week. They may feed off areas
with positive background count, but they can only survive
there for extended periods at a Force equal to the background
count.
>>
>>47668838
>Jesus.Does it stop if you get out of the cloud?
Nope. That shit'll linger on you, but you're safe as long as you don't astrally perceive or project.

If you're a Ghoul or other dual-natured being? You are so fucked. Quicker to wrap your lips around a shotgun barrel, although I do admit I've never heard of what descriptively happens when they die from magic loss.
>>
>>47668838
>No, but it also doesn't require line of sight. You just tell the spirits to go kill all the things that aren't you, and then they do it.

Yes, and while you're sitting around in the smoke waiting for your spirits to take care of everything, the nice man with the grenade launcher switches ammo and helps spread your bits out of all sides of the smoke cloud. Or maybe they just fill it full of bullets.

>Step 1 of being a mage is to kill all the enemy mages so they stop banishing your spirits.
Close, that's Step 2. Step 1 is, "Don't look like a mage so they don't know to target you, which is easy for corpsec who can show up in the same uniform as 20 goons."

Avoiding background counts is smart, but going by Street Grimoire, practically everywhere has a background count. Most GMs don't bother with tracking it until it's a serious problem, but with an all-mage party it would be a failure not to track every die's worth of mana fluctuation. It might not stop you altogether, but it will be shaving points off here and there, and if someone does something like, say, having their spirits kill a bunch of people, that's definitely going to crank it up a couple of notches (certainly meets the qualification of 'significant but brief emotional or magical impact').
>>
>>47668990
Smoke works both ways. If you can't see them, they can't see you, either. Though mages usually can astrally perceive, so smoke only works against whoever uses it.

And having a spirit means you can do something other than stand around like a drooling retard while it does all the work, such as take cover while the nice grenade launcher guy takes potshots at a cloud of smoke and ignores a high Force eviscerating him.
>>
File: 1449173528581.png (728 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1449173528581.png
728 KB, 600x900
>>47669169
Smoke stops vision, but not say corpsec with thermographic goggles on because they know the plan is to throw smoke, or drones with thermographic or echolocation sensors (if the corps use thermographic smoke, because hey they can use their PANs to connect to the drones and see what they see because you have no decker to fuck with them, they can bring every bit of 2077 technology to bear) which creep into the smoke, invisible to astral sight, and sidle up right next to your head before pulling the trigger.
>>
>>47669169
>astrally perceive
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't smoke opaque in the astral like windows? Or is that just FAB I?
>>
>>47669252
Smoke is in an uncertain place.

Most GMs would say that stuff like Glare/Light doesn't matter, because you're not using your physical eyes, but Cover does matter because it puts a real object between you and the target. So whether smoke counts as a bunch of physical particles that impede astral sight like it does regular sight, or it's too incorporeal to matter, is up for debate.
>>
>>47669252
I think 4e said that physical objects are supposed to be opaque, so you shouldn't be able to see through glass. But objects such as air are just as physical as smoke, so I don't know if the rule applies to that as well.
>>
>>47669357
Glass is still opaque in 5e, I'd say that smoke is also opaque. However, if your mark is a Dwarf Wizard, then you better switch to Ultrasound and Thermal Smoke I think.
>>
>>47669223
>corpsec with thermographic goggles
Well I presume if we're doing a wacky all mage team a large portion of the team is going to be metahuman because all human mage no items final destination is boring.
>still drones
Look, I fail to see an adequate counter for being engulfed by a high force spirit.
>>
>>47669439
If it's all mages, there's room on the team for a burnout with cybereyes and essence powered thermal vision.
>>
>>47669459
why not just thermo goggles as well?
>>
>>47669540
You can't cast magic through thermo goggles
>>
>>47669439
>Look, I fail to see an adequate counter for being engulfed by a high force spirit.
Other mage(s) with Counterspell and Banishing.
>>
File: 1462337891860.jpg (54 KB, 990x673) Image search: [Google]
1462337891860.jpg
54 KB, 990x673
>>47669439
Here's the counter- Spirits are few, drones are many. I don't disagree that a high force spirit could engulf and destroy a drone. But while the spirit is destroying one drone a pass (being generous) the security team is deploying a fleet of drones.

Horizon Eyes to roll up and flashbang you, Flyspies and that Lockheed miniblimp to track your every move, rotodrones with Alphas underslung, and Lynxes with HMGs. You don't have a decker who can stop them from using a perfectly coordinated robot arsenal against you. The big thing about being a shadowrunner is that you can't take your targets in a straight fight, so you have to be able to foil them long enough to get the job done. By going all mage, you abandon being able to beat them in the Matrix, which is probably the worse field to cede - the Matrix is the lynchpin of security, because it is the best force multiplier. They can communicate freely, track you using multiple methods that you won't be able to counter without seriously compromising the mission, and coordinate all their resources directly onto you without diversion or delay.

Unless you break the spirit of the all-mage party by doing stuff like a burnout hermetic who also decks, it's a seriously uphill battle.
>>
>>47669562
You can lock onto an aura with any line of sight, astral or physical.
>>
>>47669459
He's the dark and edgey one who betrays them to corpsec, only to turn back to the side of righteousness and feeding people to fire spirits at the last moment.
>>47669540
Can't cast magic through electronics, otherwise you'd have mages fireballing people via skype calls and shit.
>>
>>47669540
Can't use magic unless your natural senses can detect the target. Electronic enhancement is useless unless you specifically invest essence into it.
You can use non-electronic enhancement. Stuff like non-digital binoculars or mirrors.
>>
>>47669606
Well yeah, I mentioned those earlier, under "people who absolutely need to be engulfed during the first round"
>>47669608
That's a p. good point but let's be honest here, even if they had a decker a party would still be fucked because the odds of a decker being able to crack the host to get at the spider are nil.
>>
>>47669608
What would a decker accomplish? They are sending an entire robot army at a bunch of runners. If they can afford that much, they probably can also slave them to something with Firewall higher than 2.
>>
Can anyone think of exciting shit for a crew to come across in the San Diego-Tijuana Metroplex?

I'm running a first game for a new player and he's working with two NPCs to extract a Yak's girlfriend from the local gang she's run off with.
>>
>>47669697
A huge wing of yertzed out simchip-and-taco trucks street racing to the next lunch rush.
>>
File: Elf Decker.jpg (492 KB, 1200x1226) Image search: [Google]
Elf Decker.jpg
492 KB, 1200x1226
>>47669654
Preemptive measures like locking down the drone hangers or cutting the comms/spoofing the biomonitors of the guards as you encounter them to avoid raising the alarm in the first place. Plus, he can track the signals of the drones back to the RCC and, even if he can't crush the rigger himself, he can mark him for someone to fuck with in meatspace.
>>
>>47669918
>Plus, he can track the signals of the drones back to the RCC and, even if he can't crush the rigger himself, he can mark him for someone to fuck with in meatspace.
Look, if we're going to discuss recon, then I think it's time to bring up astral projection and divination.
Assensing can tell you what ware someone has, so you go find the asshole with a control rig, and then have a spirit kill him, and possibly everyone else in the room.
>>
>>47670020
Well, it tells you the presence and location of 'ware at various grades, depending on hits. You could just order the spirit to kill everyone with headware it comes across, though that's certainly going to crank up the bodycount.

Also, even if they haven't invested in heavy magical security like wards, most places are going to notice a spirit coming around in the astral scoping them out. It's not something that happens often or would be treated lightly, which is a possibility if you're a decker -duck GOD and stay out of the ultra-secure areas of the host, and you can get a decent look in a number of corners (and if you're a technomancer, you can have a sprite collect marks for the run itself) with a good chance of not raising an alarm, or of passing yourself off a a scriptkiddie out for a joyhack.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (215 KB, 737x940) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
215 KB, 737x940
All right /srg/. I need your help.

I'm gonna be playing an older version of SR pretty soon here. I'm tearing through the core rulebook trying to find something to play and shamans caught my eye.

Now I know that totems sort of "dictate" how you act/deal with certain situations. Bears are caring but berserkers, coyotes are loner tricksters, dogs are loyal best friends, etc. I went through these totems and found Gator. This smug looking mother fucker on the totem pole sounds great.

But I have no idea how to roleplay a Shaman outside the bare interactions I've seen from Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

How do?
>>
>>47667894
>Says I have 5 Karma which I do not.
Que?
>>
>>47667894
>>47671959
I think the chummer is saying that after buying the Mentor Spirit and the Spiritual Way qualities, he shouldn't have any Karma left, 5 + 20 = 25 (assuming standard priority/sum-to-ten). However, IIRC Spiritual Way provides the Mentor Spirit quality for free, which would explain the 5 karma left over.
>>
>>47672041
Mm. The RAW interpretation is that the Spiritual and Beast's Way each provide the benefits, drawbacks and restrictions of having a mentor spirit, so it was deemed easiest just to make it free.
>>
>>47672121
As long as you're here, chummer crashes sometimes when I open the skills tab. Says Property accessor "CareerCanIncrease' on object 'Chummer.Skills.SkillGroup' threw the following exception:'Sequence contains no elements'
>>
>>47669606
Shitty way to die, chummer. You're better off bringing the Thunderstruck.
>>
File: Temp.jpg (246 KB, 806x850) Image search: [Google]
Temp.jpg
246 KB, 806x850
So, chummers. Here's a hypothetical situation.

You're doing business in Neo-Tokyo. It's a quick in-and-out, but worth your travel pay, and you're washing up in a japanese style bathhouse the evening before your big job.

Suddenly, the Yaks move in. They've gotten wind of your job and don't appreciate gaijin operating in their territory and intend to teach you a lesson.

You're naked, covered in soap, and your armor and weapons are in the coffin hotel room a street away.

How fucked are you?
>>
>>47672296
Probably means you've got an empty skill group; crops up sometimes if you've been changing priority selections or adding and removing magic qualities.
>>
>>47672657
>Phys Adept
I can probably get away. The biggest problem I foresee is running through Neo-Tokyo naked, wet, and covered in soap.

Might start a new trend at least.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 337x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 337x400
>>47670528
Pretend you have an invisible best friend/cool boss who happens to be a cosmic gator. When you impress him by appealing to his nature, he gives you invaluable supernatural abilities. When you displease him, he might frag off for a while with your powers until you get on his good side.

Do gator stuff, get gator magic. Be ornery. You don't have time to be fragging about with complicated schemes. Fight as hard as you can, as fast as you can, so you can get hella paid and take a nap.
Pic kinda related.
>>
>>47672657
>pixie
Pull my pixie magic bullshit in order to avoid anyone who can't get a single hit on perception, then go hide under a towel or some shit.
>>47672671
Added a magic quality. any adivce on how to fix it?
>>
>>47672657
>firearm streetsam
In trouble. My halfway decent stealth skills and move-by-wire might help, though.
>>
>>47672760

>So you can get hella paid and take a nap

That works perfectly. Thanks, chummer.
>>
>>47672793
Toss me the sheet, I'll have to see what's wrong precisely before I can make a call. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
>>
File: 1464749204505.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464749204505.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1080
>>47662053
They'll also be terrible with money and ask everyone in their group to pay for stuff
>>
>>47668911
Burn out, not kill. Not sure if it's better, but...
>>
>>47672808
>covered in soap and spasming
Just walk right up and start grinding on them. What could go wrong?
>>
>>47672657
>Having street clothes that aren't also armor
>Not carrying several concealed knives on your person wherever you go, running or not
I Sure Hope You Chummers Don't Do This.
>>
>>47673285
How quickly can you get dressed, though? And you keep your concealed knives on you in the bath? Where the hell do you keep them?
>>
>>47672657
>implying I'm not there with my succubus ally spirit
Sooooaaaaap laaaand
>>
>>47673340
>Where the hell do you keep them?
Oh chummer, you know there are so many ways to answer that.
>>
File: Traumatic Bear.png (155 KB, 318x244) Image search: [Google]
Traumatic Bear.png
155 KB, 318x244
>>47673345
>YFW your succcubus has to go to the women's side of the baths
>>
>>47673366
I would not be comfortable concealing a blade in many of the places that immediately come to mind.
>>
>>47663814
If that's an infiltrator, she's doing a piss-poor job. She's already being shot at and covered in whatever those vials are carrying.
>>
>>47673401
Cyberlimb, covered in synthetic skin, compartment large enough for a knife.
>>
>>47673340
As fast as I can pull on a shirt, jacket, and pants.
>Where the hell do you keep them?
Places.
>>
>>47673429
I don't get dressed in the morning quickly enough to be comfortable doing that while japanese men with swords are bearing down on me, but then again I don't have wired reflexes, so.
>>
>>47672657
>troll tank that is more resilient naked than an unaugmented human wearing full-body armor

I hope they brought heavy weapons. In all cases, a hit of Kamikaze from the auto-injector and it's on, motherfuckers! The cyberarm will do until I can grab one of their weapons (or them as weapon).
>>
File: the_city2_by_fetscher-d858d2v.jpg (4 MB, 2557x1150) Image search: [Google]
the_city2_by_fetscher-d858d2v.jpg
4 MB, 2557x1150
>>47672657

>Neoteny Changeling Catgirl Adept
>45 mph Running Rate
>Retractable Claws
>18 dice in Unarmed (Natural Weapons)
>20 dice on Full Defense

Not too bad of a situation, honestly. If she takes a stray bullet she's dead, but there's a good chance she can get out before that happens. The perils of being a naked loli catgirl on the streets of Tokyo might be a bigger problem than the Yakuza.
>>
File: 5-5628-17214-squidgirljpg-620x.jpg (48 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
5-5628-17214-squidgirljpg-620x.jpg
48 KB, 620x348
>>47673647
>>Neoteny Changeling Catgirl Adept
>>
>>47673647
>Not Neoteny Harvester Changeling Catgirl Adept
Sempai, do you even post loli catgirls?
>>
>>47672869
Here. I had to set it back into chargen in order to add adept because my GM retroactively decided I needed a positive magic score to keep my pixie powers
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6giafkadzmj0qf/Adrianne%20d%27Detroit%20-%20Copy.chum5?dl=0
>>
>>47673667

My GM didn't want any Infected.
>>
>>47673667
Harvester?
>>
>>47673385
Eh, that's what Borrow Senses is for when not on a run.
>>
>>47673850
HMHVV II-strain infected Elf.
>>
>>47673850
Type-II Infected Elf. They're in Run Faster.
>>
>>47673850

HMHVV II Elf.

They get the Movement power on top of the regular Infected speed boost, which makes them absurdly fast.
>>
File: 1427674684825.png (749 KB, 700x874) Image search: [Google]
1427674684825.png
749 KB, 700x874
>>47672657
>Unarmed PhysAd

Oh, I'm great.
>>
Hey, /srg/. I want to send a runner team to the Ares space base off of Mars, but I'd rather it not take four years (because who would accept that job). What's a themely (possibly magical) way to get a group of runners into deep space? Danger's fine, it's supposed to be a Death Run anyways.
>>
>>47673994
Say "fuck the fluff" and have the rocket go faster. Bam, done.
>>
>>47674028
Yeah, but that's /boring/
>>
>>47673460
Guns are really rare in Japan, which is partially an honor thing and partially really strict gun laws. Criminals there do things with the Sword.

Might find someone with a nodachi or a vibroblade, though.
>>
>>47673994
Cryostasis?
>>
>>47674049
The problem with that is that in four years intel can change HORRIBLY. No one would accept a job with that much risk. (not to mention not getting paid in the interim)
>>
File: 57182444_p0.jpg (606 KB, 864x1152) Image search: [Google]
57182444_p0.jpg
606 KB, 864x1152
>>47674044

Have a spirit use the movement power on it?

Equip the ship with an experimental portable manasphere to keep the spirit happy.
>>
File: spider.png (84 KB, 327x200) Image search: [Google]
spider.png
84 KB, 327x200
Why are 4e mentor spirits better than 5e?
>>
>>47674093
They're not, 5e mentor spirits have shit for adepts.
>>
Fucking chummer.

180 and 179 both open with a blank update program window that updates, shows restart, and does NOTHING when I restart.

Also the formatting is dumb. The bold is dumb. I'm going back to 178.
>>
>>47673994

Astral Tunneling or something (yes I know space has no magic)
Experimental Slipspace drive
Ancient Alien teleporting device

.. Shadowrun doesn't have any sort of teleportation magic, does it?
>>
>>47674145
Teleportation is that one hard ban, no?
>>47674132
Thats a fair point. I just feel that the fluff is better with 4e mentors than 5e.
>>
>>47674079
>>47674145
Thanks, anons! I'll keep working on it (especially since I'm still reading the 5E core and building the party)
>>
>>47673804
I'll take a squiz at it ASAP, sorting some shit out for work ATM.
>>47673994
There's the metaplane shunt trick, I guess.Not sure the Ares station has enough of a manasphere to support opening a gate though.
>>47674138
Try updating manually for now and turning off the automatic updates. There are some uplift issues related to the switch away from dropbox for updates.

What exactly don't you like about the interface? What can we do better?
>>
Small question guys.

Can I continuously add gel packs to armor so I can walk around and tank bullets in my new Dr. Scholls Layered Shoes?
>>
>>47674180
>Teleportation is that one hard ban, no?

They might have found a (clunky and extremely hard to set up) way to create "Gates" between two points. Real teleportation, though... No luck yet.
>>
>>47674201

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

Your future theme
>>
>>47674047
Eh, that's not too bad. My troll's standard loadout is a riot shield and huge baton anyway, with a shotgun in case things get really hot.

There's probably a stool or other piece of furniture I can grab as improvised club. And in the worst case, the smallest Yak will do as improvised shield/club!

A subtle combatant my character is not.
>>
>>47674221
Pretty much this.

>"The fuck is up with this guy, he's holding his jacket out like it's a shield or some shit!"
>>
File: 1448743280012.jpg (109 KB, 731x1094) Image search: [Google]
1448743280012.jpg
109 KB, 731x1094
What's the best run you've ever been on? Whether it was the reward or the ease, lets hear some stories!
>>
>>47674195
All mars bases have a manasphere to support opening a gate through cuz otherwise they couldn't be invaded by demons.
>>
>>47674497
Doom, pls!
>>
>>47674375
Final run for my team involved blowing up a Hilton in West Berlin full of world leaders to kill literally only one person. Hours of planning, researching floor plans, scoping out security, getting insider information, all gone the moment the Street Samurai said "Why don't we just blow up the whole building?" to which everyone in the team looked at eachother for a second and immediately got to work stealing a van (which happened to be an ice cream truck), adapting it for the rigger to use and cramming it full of plastique explosive. A few points of spent edge and rolls for remote piloting later sent the van flying up the grand staircase, through a wall and into the conference room where the target (An extremely well connected UCAS politician) was giving a speech. The rest of the team watched it on trid with popcorn.
>>
>>47674201
Soo, any answers?
>>
>>47674201
No. One layer per armour item. Note the knockdown rules.
>>
>>47674596
I'm not gellin' anymore man.
>>
>>47674545
>no bollards at the entrance
>no anti-terrorism measures in what is supposedly a world class hotel
>no security team including mages and drones
shit hotel would not hold conference at 0/10
>>
>>47674620
Who said there weren't security teams? The very reason the Ice Cream Plan went through was because we figured a blitzkrieg would work better because we could potentially outpace most of the security. Surprise!!! We did. Also it's a hotel??? people drive cars up to the front entrance for valet? Have you seen a hotel in real life?
>>
>>47674515
You'd need to come up with big fancy experimental weapons for the party, possibly including spells for the mage.
>>
>>47674774
>people drive cars up to the front entrance for valet?
Up the grand staircase? Bollards, chummer. How do they work?
>>
>>47674806
We literally drove the thing through the glass front doors and up the staircase in the middle of the lobby (which was large enough to accommodate the truck), multiple pilot rolls were tossed and lots of edge was burned. Not sure what you're confused about.
>>
File: EDSUKB15_Automatic_Bollards.jpg (38 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
EDSUKB15_Automatic_Bollards.jpg
38 KB, 500x375
>>47674824
I think the objection goes something like this.

bollard
ˈbɒlɑːd,-ləd/
noun 1.a short post used to prevent traffic from entering an area.
>>
>>47674914
I don't know what to tell you, this old swanky hotel in western berlin didn't have those, GM recently had a stint at Potsdamer Platz himself where this run took place so if there were any there IRL then it's on him, didn't mean to trigger you so hard
>>
>>47674945
You're talking to at least two people. Don't flatter yourself.
>>
>>47668931
Where are the rules for this stuff in 5th edition?
>>
>>47674914
Those tend to not pose a problem if you have already managed to get close to where the pickup/drop off point next to the entrance is. Many hotels have them further out, if they have them at all.

Of course I have no idea how you got the van that close. The moment it breached the exterior it would have been lit up while the vip's either entered lockdown or were evaced.
>>
>>47674914
Couldn't those be hacked anyway? I assume they'd be controlled remotely.
>>
>>47662039
Also averse to paying debts
>>
>>47662123
I actually ran a game in a modern fantasy setting and the Greek gods were pretty successful because in the modern era they ran themselves like a corporation/mafia family. If you really look at the Greek.myths thats what they are, a bunch of greek Guido's waging petty turf wars in each other

Taken like that it's then just a question of why someone would look to a cartel for protection, and it's not too hard to imagine in Shadowrun where the corps are often even worse than greek god myths
>>
>>47662971
To be fair, that's because of the Romans later cocking up the tradition. Medusa was once a symbol of feminine empowerment and protection, her image was used as a ward by prostitute's. She was supposed to protect women from rape, because Athena had empowered her to do so.
>>
>>47674620
Because there's either no way this actually happened, or the game was pink Mohawk as fuck so the gm just said fuck it sounds funny. Any place like that in Shadowrun taken seriously would be impervious to anything short of a Thor shot with all the guards, magical wards, guardian spirits etc there.
>>
>>47674093
>Spiders
>Not quick

What
>>
What's the point of cyberlimbs?
>>
>>47676134
Limbs better than the base stats, give 1 cm box, customizable.
>>
>>47672657
>full-replacement cyberlimbs with 9 bod, agi, and str and 8 subcutaneous armor street sam with 15 dice and 8P dv in unarmed combat
>Only 2 IP, but also Pain Editor and 17 physical monitor boxes

Kill them all with my bare hands, take another bath to wash off their blood, get dressed, buy strawberry soymilk from vending machine, walk back to coffin hotel.

Not even trying to be edgy here, but that is a likely outcome barring some truly exceptional tech or magic at their disposal.
>>
>>47676134
Basically, you're either going to bend the limb around your character's needs (this is the basic Arm of Doom), or you're bending the build around having more than one cyber-limb.

Generally, at two, you're doing something that can be boosted well by the stats and optimization upgrade. Also, something that you want extra matrix security for, because most cyber-limb stuff doesn't benefit a lot from, and therefore doesn't need, wireless on. It's pretty much all action-size down stuff and smartgun systems for implanted weapons.

If you're getting four, then it's almost certain that you're going to be doing tank stuff involving armor in each limb and a pain editor. Or some stuff with Redliner, but that can also work at two limbs.
>>
>>47661143
>Anon uses a screenshot I took ages ago.

Feels good.
>>
>>47661143
Had two people with mentor spirits in my last group. One was a cowboy themed gun Adept with Wolf, and he made his mentor spirit proud by never backing off from a fight and protecting his "pack".
The other was a Hermetic Mage, who had taken Snake solely because of the mechanical bonuses, and had no intentions to follow Snake's ideals. As the GM, I played it as if Snake had chosen the mage to work for her, but grew more and more frustrated by him being kind of a murder hobo and never listening to her. So eventually Snake gave up and left.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 73

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.