[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mapping Software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: shitty roll20 map.jpg (194 KB, 758x568) Image search: [Google]
shitty roll20 map.jpg
194 KB, 758x568
Hey /tg/ I really need some help.

I'm looking for encounter mapping software thats free and not archaic software from the 90s.

Currently I hand build my maps in roll20 but its getting tedious and frankly wasting my time.

Thinking about using http://www.yeoldemapmaker.com/editor/ but even that feels faulty and annoying.

(Pic related, its my awkwardly sized attempt at an inn, via roll20)
>>
>>47651142
>Free
>Not archaic
GiMP
>>
>>47651191
at this point i might fucking consider it kill me
>>
>>47651142
You seem to be shot at mapping op.
Roll20 can make better maps than what you've got there. Have you tried not sucking ass?
>>
File: Kenobis Hut 50 ppm.png (338 KB, 429x548) Image search: [Google]
Kenobis Hut 50 ppm.png
338 KB, 429x548
>>47651205
I'm really not joking; you'll need to grab some textures and you'll probably want some premade images for furniture, but as long as you can get past the reasonably mild learning curve, the GiMP will do anything you want it to
>>
>>47651234
Fucking autocorrect.
Shit, op, you're shit at mapmaking
>>
File: enclave.png (382 KB, 7000x5000) Image search: [Google]
enclave.png
382 KB, 7000x5000
>>47651205
Not him, but I'd recommend it too. You don't need to do perfect art: I just use a Paint-esque job for symbolism. GIMP is just there for layers.

Yeah, pretty stuff can be great for immersion, but if I went for three years without ever seeing a single image besides character artwork around my old table, so can you. It's not necessary for fun.

Pic related is a 'dungeon' I made ages ago. It did well enough then; it'll do well enough for you.
>>
>>47651234
Appear to be shit at being helpful, pardner.

>>47651273
I might just use it for floorplans and use roll20 to put furniture in?
>>
>>47651294
That's arguably a better idea; if someone wants to throw a chair, you can move it.
>>
>>47651290
It would be cool to do theatre-of-the-mind but I like being able to keep track of things.
>>
>>47651335
What do you mean? The image I posted is the perspective of the purple dot (a player). White is corridor he can see, black is unseen stuff, and everything else is just symbolism. There's a key for each colour, but I don't think you'd care that much for it. The point is that you can very easily handle it all: one layer for players, one layer for objects, one for text, one for GM overlays that your players can't see, etc.

You then add one solid black layer for each player's perspective, and slowly cut away at it (that is, delete parts so they become transparent) as the player moves around using the free select tool (without curved edges, obviously).

Export an image each time you want to update the map for the players. If you want to 'keep track of things' label it with a time and move it to some folder.

How is that not keeping track of things?
>>
>>47651413
That's actually the hard way to do things on a VTT, sempai. Most of them let you automatically reveal fog of war.
>>
>>47651413

"eah, pretty stuff can be great for immersion, but if I went for three years without ever seeing a single image besides character artwork around my old table, so can you. It's not necessary for fun."
>>
File: sketch.png (159 KB, 1095x726) Image search: [Google]
sketch.png
159 KB, 1095x726
>>47651142
I use Photoshop and it has all the tools it's just that doing all the details is fucking time-consuming. Yeah, not free unfortunately. But...

>>47651191
>>47651205
...www.fantasticmaps.com used GIMP with great results and he was my main inspiration back in the day. Now he's moved to PS as well IIRC
>>
>>47651497
Did I contradict myself? I don't see that.

It's not necessary at all. OP clearly WANTS maps, so I'm explaining a way to do it that requires minimal effort.

If you're saying that by virtue of me making a map I contradicted myself... Well, just because it's not necessary, when you're running through a large maze of contraptions and whatnot in a metroidvania fashion, it can certainly be helpful.
>>
You're a shit map-builder, so why does it matter?

Save up the money and buy Fantasy Grounds. That way, you don't have to do any work at all, you fucking lazy Millennial.
>>
>>47651805
I want to make my own maps I just want an easier way.

Sorry I don't hand paint each of my players a cavas roll map for each encounter lmao
>>
File: alg-hogan-jpg.jpg (25 KB, 635x481) Image search: [Google]
alg-hogan-jpg.jpg
25 KB, 635x481
im just going to work on my scaling, thanks for the help friends
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.