[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any system that is good for a High-Fantasy RPG full
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: Liesa.jpg (92 KB, 781x1023) Image search: [Google]
Liesa.jpg
92 KB, 781x1023
Is there any system that is good for a High-Fantasy RPG full of battles and still have a more free magic system like Mage: The Ascension?

Is Exalted something like that?
>>
>>47646354
Savage Worlds, GURPS.
>>
>>47646577
How Savage Worlds work in terms of magic?

Also, do you know if Exalted is what I'm looking for?
>>
>>47646577

Agree w/ GURPS for this. Use Dungeon Fantasy and add the material in Ritual Path Magic. Done.
>>
>>47646354
RuneQuest 6 has 5 magic forms, and of them Animism and Sorcery are incredibly free-form while Mysticism is very customizable.

Animism is binding spirits (basically NPCs) with various powers lots are listed in the book but they're very modular even with the listings in the book. Each spirit is a unique personality, and most have lots of little options to customize with different options.

Sorcery is literally sculpting a spell using a system of spell points in increase power, range, damage, etc.

Mysticism has a list of set abilities - but a mainstay is simply boosting stats and attributes. This doesn't seem that important until you start boosting skills, which are the entire mechanic of the game. You invest power to make any dice roll easier basically.

Folk Magic is all basic cantrips and making a custom spell would be similar to writing a D&D spell. Theism is the same way.
>>
>>47646686
SW magic works how you want it to work. You have a variety of base powers that you add trappings to. You can have resource pools for magic or use things like rituals, backlash, and more. It's designed to be as flexible as possible without overshadowing the martial characters. Just keep in mind that SW is designed to be lethal. You only have three wounds before you're dead and a mook who get's lucky one a paladin or wizard can kill him with one stab.

Exalted would work just as well, but it's not as dangerous as SW.

Basically if you want Anime: Generic Fantasy Flavored then use Exalted.

If you want Pulp Adventure then use SW

If you want rules heavy, but flexible enough for anything, use GURPS.
>>
>>47646354
Ehhhhh. Exalted is amazing for high fantasy but sorcery comes in pre determined spells with fixed affects. Workings allow for a bunch more versatility but if you're looking for on the fly magic stuff exalted doesnt usually do that well. Still worth a look probably.
>>
>>47646354
If you can snag a copy somehow Desolation by Greymalkin Studios has a fantastic free-form magic system. The game uses the same system as Hollow Earth Expedition, which I feel combines some of the best aspects of World of Darkness and D&D.
>>
>>47646978
>>47646992
So Savage Worlds and Runequest 6 are my main choices right now. Any other thing that I should know about the system?

How about the character creation? How is the customization in these games or are just choose a classe and a race and that's it?

Can I be a warrior who make his sword burst in flames or a thief who cure aids?

Just exemples.

>>47647050
I see. I buyed Exalted so I'll have to read it anyway. I'll have a look, yes.

>>47647105
Interesting. I'll have a look too.
>>
>>47647349
Also, how about Anima?
>>
>>47647349
Savage Worlds is designed so you can be anything within reason. You can easily be a fire sword wielding kung-fu master or a sneaky noir detective.

Just don't expect to be solely responsible for bringing down armies. A group of three-five thugs can still kill you easily.
>>
Ars Magica. You want Ars Magica.

OK, that's maybe an overstatement. It has a particular playstyle kinda built into the mechanics and setting that doesn't suit everybody's tastes, but if you find you like it, it does fantasy conflict and free-form magic very, very well.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.