[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
looking to get a new board game from my LGS. looking to get a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: pic338410.jpg (193 KB, 1051x664) Image search: [Google]
pic338410.jpg
193 KB, 1051x664
looking to get a new board game from my LGS. looking to get a type of dungeon crawl style game with a few exeptions. Here's what I have my eye on.
>Warhammer Quest: adventure card game
>Dungeon Saga: the dwarf king
>Wrath of asharladon
>Hero quest
>Descent
>D&D: Dungeon command

I'm not too concerned about price or anything, just gameplay. I'm a big fan of the D&D style combat mechanics, and I heard some of these games are just reskins of others (not sure which ones came first in all of these). anyone have any suggestions on which of these are good and which I should stay away from based on your experience?
>>
>>47639791
Used to play Hero Quest when I was younger, shit was so cash
>>
>>47639837
Hero quest is awesome
>>
>>47639837
>>47639863
im guessing that one is what descent and Asharladon and dungeon saga were all modeled after?
>>
>>47639791
Descent is pretty fun, I've played it a few times. There's supposed to be a new game that came out that fixes some of the problems that descent has and makes it a little less time consuming. Apologies for the vagueness.

I recall I picked some undead knight dude and managed to get pretty lucky with my ability picks. I didn't get anything that was totally useless, and I even got the ability to reanimate dead bad guys. It was on like a 5+, but the two times I did it I managed both times, and I had some wicked standby elf witch thing that started wrecking the rest of the minions we ended up running into. I'd probably play descent again.
>>
Descent is complete trash.
>>
>>47640035
Care to elaborate? Maybe give an alternative? Or are you content to just splerg out?
>>
File: 1462429732405.jpg (124 KB, 762x1049) Image search: [Google]
1462429732405.jpg
124 KB, 762x1049
Why do they not just remake Heroquest?

Do they not wish to make mad dosh?
>>
>>47640304
>That limp wrist
God I'm still happy orks can make me chuckle every so often.
>>
>>47640256
There's no point in fighting, it's practically a racing game, balance is shit, rules are broken, especially big monster movement rules
Play literally anything else
>>
>>47640256

The game heavily favors the heros.

The DM is going to get his shit pushed in 9 times out of 10. and the remaining 1 time is going to be heroes having bad dice but still winning just not by as much.
>>
Haven't played Warhammer Quest cards, but the new boardgame is surprisingly decent. Overpriced as shit by boardgame standards, though.
Dungeon Saga is solid, don't bother with expansions though.
Wrath of Ashardalon is 4th ed D&D as a board game. Pretty fun, maybe my favourite of the lot that I've played.
Hero Quest I have a lot of nostaligia for, but it's long out of print so I don't know what you're thinking of.
Descent isn't really a dungeon crawler, more like an asymmetrical objective-based skirmish. Great fun, but maybe not what you want.
>>
>>47640015
>There's supposed to be a new game that came out that fixes some of the problems that descent has and makes it a little less time consuming. Apologies for the vagueness.
It's an app for phones that changes it into a co-op dungeon crawler, by digitally managing all the overlord functions. Haven't played it yet, but heard good things, and it's free.
>>
>>47639791
the D&D board games offer pretty good sized bundle of unpainted minis.I plan of getting them all eventually just for that.

They all play largely the same though. Just pick the one that catches your eye the most.

Dragon one
Vampire one
Underdark one
Elementals one (newest one, I think it implements the 5e advantage/disadvantage mechanic)
>>
The D&D Adventure System games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, Temple of Elemental Evil) all run on a simplified version of the D&D 4th Edition ruleset. They have different themes and play differently mainly based on the power level differences. Ravenloft has low-power heroes and feels more like horror, while Temple of Elemental Evil plays more like a campaign, with rules for going back to town and selling loot etc. All of these are compatible by the way.

Dungeon Command is a miniatures skirmish game, not a dungeon crawler. Dungeon Command sets also come with stat cards for using the miniatures in the Adventure System games mentioned above.

I've heard good things about both Dungeon Saga and the new Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower. Both of these as well as Descent have sold fairly well at the LGS I work at. Descent cornered the market earlier and thus sold better initially. I'm fairly certain only Descent has fully assembled miniatures from among these three.
>>
>>47640455
of course it favors the heroes

the real reason why descent isn't great is because it is a little dull mechanically yet doesn't fluff things up like HeroQuest did with its room descriptions, furniture, and other stuff. The heroes just trek through bland dungeons slaying the same baddies they always do for reasons nobody cared about enough to decide on.
>>
>>47640894
The D&D Adventure System board games (as mentioned in >>47640789 and >>47640884) can quickly gain a feeling of dangerous exploration, as you flip random tiles from a pile that may or may not contain one or more monsters. Also you're sometimes searching for a specific room in the dungeon that's been shuffled into the deck of tiles.
>>
>>47640304

As i understand it's in copyright hell, with parts being owned by Hasbro and GamesWorkshop.
>>
>>47640884
Dungeon Saga also have fully assembled miniatures ready to play from the box :D
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.