[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should i make my games more cinematic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: question dice-500x500.jpg (166 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
question dice-500x500.jpg
166 KB, 500x500
by that i mean like sometimes taking breaks to show whats going on on the villain side or some other third party that's not the party. or is this idea just shit worth only for diceless story-driven RPGs?
>>
>>47626314
Can you trust your players not to abuse any OOC knowledge whilst playing?
>>
>>47626314
>or is this idea just shit worth only for diceless story-driven RPGs?
This.
Story is from your player's perspectives.
You can have them see what the bbeg is up to via magic, or hear through rumours or something, but don't actively move away from them to show what's happening as it's just jarring.
>>
Maybe have a diviner NPC who lets the players peer into a crystal ball during downtime to get a clue about the bad guy.

Or, maybe, make the story about what the characters do and not what the bad guy is doing.
>>
>>47626483
most of them yea. except maybe That Guy who's a very assholish That Guy and will happily minmax the fuck out of the game (in 5e no less) and whine about using his own shitty homebrew that he apparently passed trough a whole bunch of seasoned DMs about and even having me talk to one where he told me to just "make the fights more challenge or make them do less fights".
>>
>>47626314
I never abuse OOC knowledge, because I personally prefer to get as little out of character knowledge as posssible, because I feel it takes the fun out of making decisions for my character.

If I know what's going on, I know what the best option is. The result is, I can't try to be clever or figure out the best way to do something, because if I want to do something that seems like it's using OOC knowledge then I have to feel like a jackass, or roll a die or something.

I'd much rather not know, and have the freedom to fully engage with the story and enjoy my choices.
>>
>>47626600
The first "because" should be a "but".
I honestly don't know how that happened.
>>
Why don't you ask your fucking players instead of us?
>>
>>47626626
i have nothing else better to do im waiting at the table for them to arrive.
>>
>>47626314
I would say no. Maybe your players are different but I personally don't want to sit around doing nothing while my GM essentially reads a script, including multiple characters and their actions, for who knows how long by himself. Not to mention you're practically begging players to get metagamey.
>>
>>47627303
Even if they don't metagame, it'll kill their ability to enjoy the game anyway.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.