[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
>Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

No single quote has ever made me want to play traditional games as much as this.

What are some good settings/systems for running a Hyborian Age type setting?
>>
File: Conan Modiphius.jpg (200 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
Conan Modiphius.jpg
200 KB, 618x800
>>47535488
>>
>>47535488
We literally just had this thread yesterday.

Conan is the primary inspiration for Dungeons and Dragons.

Play Dungeon Crawl Classics, or if you don't want that, play any other good retro clone.

And for the love of fuck, don't play >>47535596

Modiphius makes awful, AWFUL games.
>>
>>47535603
>Opinions without details!

If op wants to actually try something himself and not dismiss a well-reviewed rpg because of some faggot who's very fond of his own opinions he can always try the free quickstart preview version they released while it was in playtest.

https://mega.nz/#!F9h0BbbR!sl1cxt-7a_dw9vTr-HJzZObUVn6omtYlyTxfblHsZPE
>>
>>47535488
Beasts and Barbarians for savage worlds
>>
File: 1411892747522.jpg (445 KB, 1202x1540) Image search: [Google]
1411892747522.jpg
445 KB, 1202x1540
>>47535660
>Well-reviewed by one anon when it's not even released means it's good. What popular thing do you want? Justin Bieber? Lobotomies?

>try it
Not recommended, you can read it if you want to waste time though.

It has all the fantastic randomization of not one, but two d20's, the d20 system plus one. Character creation is full of too many stats because it wants to be like DnD+1. It also has a wonderfully hard, counter-intuitive, and confusing roll-under system where sometimes you roll-over for things. The skills you gain that let you "get better" are also barely helpful and let you fail at a lot of very easy things. The author IS known to try and get people to buy his stuff on /tg/ though, and shit, because sometimes it's about more than the system, the creator is an awful fedora-tipping white knight retard.

Maybe the playtest version will eventually be fixed, or maybe the game designer rolled a natural 1
>two natural ones? Two natural 20's? Whichever is worse depending on the situation.
and knew he could just pass the system off because he was using a famous IP to sell it.
>>
>>47535488
GURPS. Even has a Conan book already.
>>
>>47535734
Holy shit. I just read the math thread for 2d20 on giantitp. There is buyers remorse in peoples future.

>>47535488
Barbarians of Lemuria
>>
>>47535488

If I was going to do it, I'd use Scarlet Heroes with a one player/one GM setup. SH makes a lone hero into a powerhouse able to take on a whole mass of dudes. Running it in the past has felt like reading stories of Conan's battles.

Dungeon World can scale to that sort of thing, too, since it has no turn structure, only a threat-response flow. A gang of enemies still poses a nasty threat, but the dm can scale it to a rough parity with the PC's power level by adjusting how hard he presses the player.

>destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow.

>post-Howard writers implying kingship was his destiny and not just another job he did like pirate or thief

Conan was pushed into that job in the first place, and afterwards he wanted to quit and go back to being his own man as soon as he could do it without common folk dying in the streets for it.
>>
>>47535596
i went for the hoard of yezdigerd
even if the system turns out to be disappointing there is so much content that you can use that i ll get my money worth of stuff
the only thing that sucks is that in july i ll be receiving the conan book, degenesis and les 5 supplices (french exclusive campaign for call of chtulhu)
>>
>>47535856
>Holy shit. I just read the math thread for 2d20 on giantitp. There is buyers remorse in peoples future.

Meh what i ve read is a guy salty cause he doesnt like the system and he thinks that the doom is too much metagaming. while the GM in everygame is metagaming or is allowed to bend the rules to make sure the story goes smoothly
>>
>>47535488
I remember a Conan D&D variant that actually fixed fighters. It had good art and lore too.
Sadly I lost those manuals after an hd failure.
>>
>>47535488
The Hybroean Age is still possibly the most interesting setting to me.

Shame there isn't more lore. The feel of all of it is just so great.
>>
Options are like:
>playing actual Hyborian Age setting with some universal system (dedicated Conan system sucks because its fuckin d20)
>Barbarians of Lemuria
>Savage Worlds - Beasts and Barbarians
>Glorantha, either on Hero- or Rune-quest (although it's more high magic. In mythological variety rather than modern fantasy but still)
>>47535603
Conan might be inspiration for D&D but that doesn't mean they did it right. Even at Gygax-level they it failed at emulating things that it was inspired by and failed hard.
>>
>>47537723
>DnD failed hard
Nice unsupported opinions.
>>
ho shit a conan thread.
what s you prefered story?
what s the best system to run a few conan one shot?
>>
>>47537723
Anon, you should try actually reading a Conan story. I know kids don't read these days but it is exactly like a game of D&D.

>>47539349
>Favourite story
I like the Dragons Hour (the book) because it has my favorite quote next to the original short story.

>Best system to run it
Depends on what you want to do, maybe a medium level DCC game?
>>
>>47539503
i like the people of the black circle

for the system i want something quite heroic, i m thinking something like the system from 7th sea first edition with panache to perform glorious stuff.
i d want something really pulpoverthetop
>>
>>47535488
Gurps motherfucker
>>
File: tumblr_o0aini07yl1u8df7so1_1280.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0aini07yl1u8df7so1_1280.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
Come sit with us and wait for the 5e Dark Sun.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.