[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Pathfinder >Player wants to create a new arcane spell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9
>Pathfinder
>Player wants to create a new arcane spell called "Nude Bomb"
>Spell removes clothing and items, but otherwise leaves the individuals naked and unharmed
Adjudicate this using Pathfinder rules.
>>
>>47526434
>Adjudicate this using Pathfinder rules.
What in the name of fuck? Are you the GM?
>>
Spells don't need rules, just describe what happens.
>>
>>47526434
You don't say. How boring, to be stealing the jokes of another? And probably to be used in altogether boorish fashion!
>>
>>47526434
I'd allow it if it only removed one item per person in the area. Otherwise that's pretty OP and perverse.
>>
>>47526434
Bard3, Sorc/Wizard 3

The next encounter features a caster with the spell Total Banishment
It banished the player of the character it is cast on from the game.
>>
>>47526655
not grokking you.

Adjudicate. "Nude Bomb", please.
>>
>>47526434
Bard cantrip

Requirement: being a half-elf with 20 cha at lvl 1
>>
>>47526434
There's already a spell form 3.5 called Speedy Undress which does that. It's first level, so all you'd need to do is scale it up to have a Mass version that was higher level.
>>
>>47527014
>references a 1st level spell from a 3.5 3rd party publisher
>"It's already been done be'fo."
You all are terrible at this.
>>
>>47527156
Howso? It fits perfectly for what OP asked for. It's not like 3rd party content is going to unbalance anything.
>>
>>47526434
Considering that as described it removes spell component pouches, holy symbols, armour, weapons, instruments,etc, that's actually a ridiculously good and nearly always applicable save-or-be-worthless spell.
I'd phrase it as making everything on a target fly off and land adjacent to them if they fail a save(will maybe?), possibly with the exclusion of held objects. Maybe third level for one target, or about seventh for a radius centered on the caster?

And totally make sure it's also on the bard list.
>>
>>47526655
It was Sanguine who made that spell not the meme Daedric Prince
>>
>>47527382
Things like that are reflex. Will has to do with resisting a mental command. If you had to strip it yourself it's will. But as described it's a magical force tearing your clothes off of you which you need to dodge, so Reflex.
>>
File: wait.gif (973 KB, 250x173) Image search: [Google]
wait.gif
973 KB, 250x173
This spell can destroy artifacts.
>>
There's a spell in the Book of Erotic Fantasy that strips the target of all non magical items. I use it as a scorcerer and it works very well.
>>
Pathfinder has a level 1 spell called pants that just drops someones pants down to their ankles despite suspenders or belts
>>
>>47527382
Here's a good answer.

I'm also starting to come around that it should be on the bard list.

>>47527644
It doesn't have to destroy anything. It could be a shapechange-incorporation effect (like polymorph) or shunt everything to the ethereal plane (for example).
>>
>>47527243
You can't unbalance what isn't balanced to begin with, so good point.
>>
File: 1461972498054.jpg (327 KB, 1236x772) Image search: [Google]
1461972498054.jpg
327 KB, 1236x772
OP here. Here's what I came up with:

>Nude Bomb
>5th level wizard/sorcerer, 5th level bard
>Casting time: 1 Standard Action
>Components V,S,M (a leather shoe which is held to the ear during casting)
>Range: Medium (100ft. +10ft. per caster level)
>Target: 30' radius area effect
>Duration: Permanent
>Saving Throw: Reflex negates
>Spell Resistance: Yes

>Your targets are hit with a magical effect that removes all equipped and carried magical and non-magical items, clothing, equipment and weapons, rendering the targets nude, but otherwise unharmed in any other way from the effect of the spell. All the targets' items are removed to the ethereal plane, where they are invisible, except to those on the ethereal plane, or who can see into the ethereal plane.

Compare: Baleful Polymorph, Mass Cacophonous Note

I thought of this adjudication exercise because
1. I wanted to see /tg/ argue something intelligently
2. I hate Pathfinder's culture of "stuff", and find great amusement in the butthurt that arises from denying whining players their "stuff", especially if it were harmless and well-reasoned within the rules as this spell.

mods will probably archive this anyway for being "off topic" or something.
>>
>>47528603
Make the duration Instantaneous, not permanent. Permanent is for things like Wall of Iron that makes a thing that never goes away. This should be instantaneous because it moves a thing somewhere else, same reason teleport or plane shift is instantaneous
>>
>>47528603
If you want it to be balanced in combat, you could have the items phase out for only a short time, say 1d6 rounds, roll separately per target, but it's Pathfinder so lol wizards rule.
>>
>>47528848
Ah. Right.

>>47528924
Explain what you mean by "balanced in combat" please.
>>
>>47529004
You need a 9th level spell to permanently shut off enemy's magic items, so if you can permanently delete his entire equipment with a 5th level spell that comes off as unbalanced.
>>
>>47528848
Wall of Iron is also instantaneous, because it just creates a chunk of iron and that's it, it is henceforth a totally mundane giant block of iron. It can't be dispelled or whatever. A permanent duration is for ongoing magical effects which will not end of their own accord but can nevertheless be dispelled (usually, certain spells have special text which states the conditions under which their nominally permanent duration ends).
>>
File: 20140522-173307-63187959.jpg (292 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
20140522-173307-63187959.jpg
292 KB, 1024x1024
>>47529076
Nope. I can also do it with Baleful Polymorph, which is 5th level.

Also, Cacophonous Note makes a person nauseated, which also effectively shuts off magic items (or at least prevents their use in actions). As for passive-use items (like protection and natural armor) you raise a good point. Nauseated has a limited duration (just in case a combat round goes longer than seven round, HEH!) and Cacophonous Call (and nauseated) still allows movement, an argument could be made for being op.

So...a spell that makes multiple targets vulnerable and ineffective (mostly), yet doesn't damage or render them permanently disabled (like Baleful Polymorph) I still see as a 5th level spell. I'd be tempted to accede and make the effect temporary, but it would either:
1. Lead to abuse of farming equipment "lets go back to that spot and wait for their stuff to pop out of the ethereal plane" or
2. If the spell causes their clothing and equipment to "become a clinging mist for the duration of the spell" and (Duration: 1 round per level), then the spell loses its punchline, which is namely
>denying the players their "stuff" permanently and forever, fuck your stuff and fuck you, and fuck your mom's toyota prius that brought you here and fuck the snacks you brought too and fuck your metal dice that no one can read the numbers on
but it's really a matter of GM playstyle. Baleful Polymorph is a devastating spell, and so is Disintegrate, which is why you get two saves, and they only affect one target. But I think you all see what I'm getting at here.
>>
>>47526434
Ive always liked how unworried that guy being lifted on the right looks.

He just chillin like "yeah that cool man".
>>
I'm also tempted to "go deep" on spells like this, but it's because I'm tired of the Vancian casting system, which I don't see as "magical" at all.

Duration: Instantaneous (see text)
>....the targets' equipment is shunted to the ethereal plane, where it appears in their dreams. It can later be retrieved when the target sleeps, by making a Will Save within their dream. Failing by 5 or more means the equipment instead appears in the caster's dream, where he may also attempt to retrieve it. Succeeding by 5 or more on the Will save will reveal some vulnerability of the caster (like location of a hideout, a loved one's identity, or a secret they would rather keep secret). Ethereal items may also be retrieved by entering the ethereal plane by some other means, or a combination of True Seeing and Oil of Etherealness, or enlisting the help of an ethereal being (like a ghost).
>>
>>47529354
> Nope. I can also do it with Baleful Polymorph, which is 5th level.
It can be dispelled by an ally, let's say it takes 6 seconds because the enemy is decently prepared and had good dispell roll.

If your items are thrown into ethereal plane, you (or your ally) would have to jaunt there, take stuff, jaunt back, and then you hopefully weren't wearing any heavy armor because you'll need extra bunch of minutes to don it. And that's all under the assumption that the enemies realized items went into ethereal plane and had means of ethereal travel prepared (and nobody prepares those spells for combat).

In it's current state it's definitely not 5th level, I'd put it 8th or 9th.
>>
>>47529354
Really? A spell that effectively turns everyone into Level X bags of hitpoints and ends a character's advancement permanently unless they miraculously find their invisible items on another plane of existence is level 5? Yeah, good job fucktard.
>>
File: neardark.jpg (156 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
neardark.jpg
156 KB, 1280x720
>>47529475
>burp

>>47529641
Yyyyesssssssssssssssssssss......
>>
>>47529354
>Nope. I can also do it with Baleful Polymorph, which is 5th level.
Baleful Polymorph is single target, and targets Fort save, which is generally the strongest save. So if we're using Baleful Polymorph as the baseline, that would ALSO make this 9th or MAYBE 8th level effect, since 3-4 levels higher is where multitarget versions of spells(especially of the Save or Suck/Save or Lose variety) generally are.
>>
File: 1463526327352.png (226 KB, 750x1091) Image search: [Google]
1463526327352.png
226 KB, 750x1091
>>47526434
See attached image
>>
File: the-nude-bomb-1.png (316 KB, 659x360) Image search: [Google]
the-nude-bomb-1.png
316 KB, 659x360
>>47529732
Enh. Maybe you're right. The mass Save or Suck spells tend to be 7th--9th, using Archon's Trumpet as an example.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.