[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tabletop Simulator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
So, wha'ts /tg/ opinion on tabletop simulator?

Like it, Hate it? Better options avalaible?
>>
>>47512772
Without TTS I couldn't ever have played KDM or Cthulhu wars. It also helps if you want to get into reviewing games on a budget. This has been the best way to try before you buy for me and play old games that are out of print. The downsides are the learning curve and some games are inferior without the physicality.
>>
>>47513263

I'd also add that it's tough to get to play more obscure stuff, because the casual player doesn't want to play a 2-3 hour games.

Finding someone to play Tikal was hard, I'll tell you that much.
>>
>>47512772
Has anyone tried 40k on it? I know there were some mods that ripped DoW models for pieces, but that's about it.
>>
>>47513370
Would you really want to? 40k isn't a great game, and once you take out having your own models, there's really no appeal there.
>>
>>47513370
When I look up games there are DOZENS of massive armies you can download. Plus terrain. It also has a ruler so you can objectively measure the distance.
>>
>>47513370

I know that there's almost always a 40K table open.

Some workshop models available:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484934729&searchtext=warhammer

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507514592&searchtext=warhammer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605262203&searchtext=40k
>>
>>47513389
Neat.
>>47513385
I'm poor.
>>
>>47513496
But if you're not getting models, there's no reason to play 40k. It's a complete mess of a game, play pretty much anything else.
>>
>>47513515
I enjoy messes of games.
>>
>>47513515

What if they got around making some cool animations for the models?

TTS supports animations for the models, I know there's a smokescreen effect for 40k models when using grenades.
>>
>>47513515
Not OP but as someone who hates 40k and its players, I've considered using TTS to eventually try it out just so I can say in detail why I hate it.
>>
>>47513659

That's just being smart, anon.
>>
>>47513659

Good for you, I guess?
>>
You can play any board game ever with it.

and because I'm some kind of WEIRDO I actually prefer using it to play Pen and paper games.

Just use some image hosting website and link character sheets as jpegs.
>>
>>47513955

It's pretty good to hide encounters in a dungeon. Just make a hidden zone and you can make several changes without the players actually getting to see what you are doing, as a GM.
>>
My group uses it for D&D, as having characther arts and full areas to play in is pretty cool.

[Spoiler] But because there ain't a whole lotta SciFi props on the workshop,mainly fantasy ones, and I want to host a Dungeons The Dragoning game, anyone have a better alternative for this? Preferably one that's free and not autistic to build in like Roll 20. [/spoiler]
>>
File: Inn.jpg (84 KB, 559x467) Image search: [Google]
Inn.jpg
84 KB, 559x467
>>47514297
Just use custom tokens and images.

Use image hosting and custom boards to do combat maps
>>
>>47513515
I am still saving up for models, so I would probably do it to kind of practice if I were to.
>>
I don't know. My friend is getting our group of 4 life-long friends each a copy as a high school graduation present and I hope we can actually play stuff on it. How does it work with magic:the gathering? D&D? Hexagon maps and terrain? Rolling lots of dice at one time?
>>
>>47516170

Yes to all of those.
>>
>>47512772
It has been a great way to learn and play Netrunner with my online friends. Excellent software. Not perfect and definitely buggy, but it's fairly open and has the workshop.
>>
>>47513385
>>47513370
Fancy a game, anons?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/shower_thing
>>
>>47516913

The devs are working in improving things, though. They fixed a lot of physics bugs in the last big update.

There was a time the game didn't even have the hand system.
>>
>>47513328

If you have players who are willing to play multiple sessions, you can save out if I remember right.
>>
>>47513263
>Not buying Cthulhu Wars and supporting the creators.
Fuck you
>>
>>47517258

Is that the game with the big-ass Cthulhu figurines?

Yo, that's expensive as hell. I'm buying a factory-grade amount of plastic with that game.
>>
I tried it. Everything about the interface, controls, and usability was shit.

Since they clearly stopped development on it, there's no reason to use it.
>>
>>47517698

>Since they clearly stopped development on it, there's no reason to use it.

They just released a major update just this month.
>>
>>47517258
No, fuck YOU. I know Sandy Peterson personally. I lived in Rockwall Texas and went to his shop on multiple occasions when I got into tabletop gaming. He's a nice enough guy and worked on one of my favorite games ever, Quake. Plus countless others. But I absolutely refuse on several principles to buy Cthulhu Wars:
-Overly priced miniatures meme that's sweeping kickstarter and causing lower-quality games to eek through funding
-Reviewers hyping the miniatures over the game itself. Several reviewers were biased for receiving a review copy without announcing it. The ones that I read that did and didn't like the rules still shilled it for the miniatures
-The minis are stupidly large for no actual reason. It's the pinnacle of excess garbage plastic
-The price point has created a legion fanbase of entitled manchildren
-The rule book is written extremely sloppily with poor flow, multiple typographical errors, usually one per page and outright offensive rules (hurr durr make the fattest of your friends go first! That's not rude at all).
-Overall unprofessional presentation within the rules
-Every SINGLE non-mini component is lower quality than people accept for other games. Even mentioned by most reviewers
-Ultimately simple area control that you can make a print-n-play pocket edition for the size of a deck of cards and a fold-out map. Not that some games can't be represented this way but that's unacceptable at a $200 price point.
-Those minis do almost nothing in-game, just wasting money and space to be a singular integer
-Spells (and all the game pieces text) have unclear and inconsistent wording throughout
>>
I have an MtG group for TTS but I haven't done anything with it.
I just recently made a couple people mods so they can do stuff with it while I figure out how to play the game because I don't know anything about TTS or MtG.
>>
>>47518511

Hahaha, great work, anon.
>>
>>47518608
Well I didn't create the group.
A friend did and he didn't do anything with it but doesn't want to give it away either so he gave me administrator perms and told me I could take the reins.

So here I am pretty much forced to make sure an already dead group doesn't stay dead.
>>
>>47513370
I've been playing 40k with it for a while. The biggest issue seems to be putting models into buildings. It can be a bit of a hassle, but outside of that, everything is pretty smooth.

Having a pretty good time with it actually.
>>
It's a great tool, fun with online friends to play premade games on if you can grab it on sale.

I would never use it for a campaign or the like though. It's far too finicky for that, and the benefits of the 3D terrain and such aren't worth it.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.