[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GM Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: gm.png (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
gm.png
6 KB, 250x250
Calling all DMs, GMs, Referees, Storytellers, and whoever the hell else is out there. I recently started running a game again after a long hiatus and I feel rusty as hell.

What program are you guys using to make maps electronically these days? I know Dundjinni used to be a big name, and I vaguely recall another (free) tool. I'm running on Roll20 and using the maps that came with the adventure for now, but eventually I'll have to start making my own.

How much work do you put into describing the results of attacks and actions? Last night I kept at it for a while, but eventually we settled into a steady rhythm of "The bugbear tries to mash you with his morningstar" and the combat flowed a bit faster for it.
>>
>>47509910
>How much work do you put into describing the results of attacks and actions?
I describe carefully only things that are important, cool or noticeable in other way.

Killing a creature, a lucky shot, maybe some action with a recently find new weapons/power, etc.
>>
>>47509910
I fucking hate being a forever GM we played another players campaign for a whole 20 minutes before it was so fucking terrible that we went back to me GMing its so fucking shitty that we stopped playing all together after I ran like 7 campaigns in a row and was so fucking tired of it.

who can relate
>>
>>47510285
I feel for you, Anon. I've been pretty much the go-to GM of my group since just after high school. It got to the point where I was running 3 campaigns simultaneously and was burning out on all of them. One of my players is a great ST/GM and we always enjoy his campaigns, but it got to the point where I had to almost blackmail him to actually get him to run. Sure enough after he started he enjoyed it and made a good campaign. Though I still feel like a shitter for pushing it on him. But I can finally play as well as run.
>>
>>47510285
I'm forever GM too, with only one decent alternative to me in the city.

My problem is, I can't play.
I've tried, but the moment other GM start talking I know where they want to go with the sessions.
I can foresee every event, every trap, every twist. It's all so predictable, because I've done them all.
I get bored so fast.
>>
>>47509910
>How much work do you put into describing the results of attacks and actions?
I use Roll20 and I have some attacks pre-described with rolls. It's still mostly just 1 sentence.
E.G "The orc warrior bellows a mighty war cry and thrusts his spear at [character]'s neck! [rolls]" or "The orc warrior tries to quickly jab it's spear in your ribs. [rolls]"
Gives some details while keeping things fast as I just copy+paste these things around. Having a few options also keeps it from becoming too repetitive, and I can just replace the creature with another one which wields the same weapon.
Whenever a PC hits or is hit I then give a small sentence description, but I don't have these pre-written anywhere. If it's a killing shot, I might go into some detail. E.G "The crossbow bolts hits the orc in the eye, puncturing the creature's brain. The greenskin wavers for a second before falling to the ground."
>>
>>47510620
I got a similar thing happen to me. I started playing as a player, but recently I started to GM a different group, and now I can guess most twists my GM tries to pull off. It's wierd how easy it is only after a glimpse from the GM perspective.
>>
>>47509910
I generally use roll20 to let the players roll their own dice, though most of my games tend to not use tokens for movement and such as distances in Exalted are now arbitrary in 3e. I draw out a rough map and that usually works for players.

As for how much detail we put into attacks, my main system is Exalted, stunting being a large part of both attacking and defending. I tend to describe how the players actions affected their target. Setting them off balance etc. Lots more detail goes into more powerful, important moments however.
>>
>>47510285
I stopped GMing because the workload difference between the GM and players is just unreal. A week of working 2 hours a day to get a campaign prepared with a map and plot and general game stuff and then my players can show up high and make a character in 30 minutes and then complain about how its not like Game of Thrones

Now I only play Wargames or board games where everyone is contributing equally and not so much work is involved.
>>
File: maria.gif (114 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
maria.gif
114 KB, 500x313
>>47510620
I just don't like playing because it's so boring waiting for turns if the game isn't such that you can meaningfully participate during the downtime. So I GM, and every turn is my turn.
>>
>>47509910
I try to describe actions, because it usually helps move the story forward. Even if it's just "the goblin stumbles back into a table" that's still development, helps the scene evolve. Sometimes I can use the little details I made up on the fly to string together something cool towards the end of the fight. Like, if in a struggle some potions got smashed because the were on a table, or maybe the guy was carrying them, then I might have those potions do something when they start reacting with the floor and air. Could be good, could be bad, depends on what the scene needs.
>>
>>47509910
I try and describe attacks and actions since my group is large and doing that helps pull everyone back into the fight. It's just 5 seconds of narration that tells the other players that someone's turn is over and that everyone has to snap back into attention and look at how the world has changed so they can plan their turn.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.