[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DSA in english!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Has this been talked about yet?
The biggest german RPG is getting an english release. I can't wait to hear all the opinions of you guys when you start to wonder why on earth anyone would need a farming skill or animal husbandry. Not animal handling, animal husbandry. it's in the game from the start, same as Knowledge of Stones. Or maybe Stonelore is a better translation.

The only problem I have is that it seems like they're marketing as a high fantasy thing just because there is magic and dragons. But stuff like that is pretty rare and most people living in the villages have never even seen anyone with a different colour of skin than they have, let alone magic. It might cause some wrong expectations for people used to D&D.
>>
Is the combat still the most boring thing imaginable?
>>
I am pretty sure that even villagers have seen magic as one in 150 has magic
>>
>>47501426
How are the new rules? I heard conflicting things about them, coming from 4.1.

Also, as a linguist, I'm appalled they cut the Linguistics Skill.
>>
>>47501993
Yes, kind of :(
>>
>>47501426
The system looks miserable. The setting looks cool, but not cool enough for me to buy and peel away from system.
>>
So what is this game actually like/about, for those of us that don't know it?
>>
DSA used to be marketed as "phantastic-realism" though that seems to have been dropped as of late.
Though it has a lot of mystical and magical elements, they aren't as over the top and all around as in D&D or Pathfinder.
Choosing classes ins't as strict as in other RPG's. This only really depends on whether you decide to run a wizard or a cleric of a certain god, cause they come with special powers limited to them (though you may have some late magical talent or join a faith, if the story allows for it).
The other classes are merely cosmetic, since you can level your skills and attributes freely, kinda like Dark Souls.
It's more down to earth as seen by the artstyle. No big pauldrons or super spikey armour, buff guys overloaded with weapons or such things.
There are fewer non-human races and those who differ too much (e.g. Orks and Goblins) tend to be heavily disliked if not hunted down and killed in most of the world.
The system as is...well I've gotten used to it and the idea behind it is not bad, but...well
You have to roll three D20 with every skill check. The meaning behind this is, that for example when you climb a tree, you do not just have to rely on your agility, but on your strength and your ability to spot good branches as well, which is why you'd have to roll three dice to represent Strength Wisdom and Agility. And once your fail only one die, you fail the check.
Fighting is you roll to attack, the enemy rolls to evade, then you roll for damage minus the armour points. This could end up making for long battles.
>>
will it be easy to convert the massive number of adventures from previous editions?
>>
>>47502727
DSA5 is hand down the best DSA we have... My only - quite big complaint - is that the editors failed miserably at their job, but that was also true for the 4th edition so no change there... However with all the feedback they got from the release the English version might be quite cleaned up compared to the German one.
>>
>>47506233
If at all, I'm going to get the German version, because I am German.
How comprehensive is the core? Do I need two additional books to play a mage?
>>
>>47506633
You get all the rules you need from the core rulebook of DSA 5.
Though they only included a few of the spells in it. A certain variety, but not all of them from fourth edition, which filled an entire goddamn book on their own.
What kind of expension we will get is yet to see.
>>
>>47506687
Great! And I don't mind not having some spells, some never quite made sense to me (Sensattako), and as long as I have the full rules, I'm good.
>>
>>47506869
As long as you're not trying to be a druid, a fullblown necromancer or trying to focus on a certain type of elemental magic, you're good.
>>
First edition was best edition.
>>
Goblin.pdf soon fellow red furs.
>>
>>47506019
>You have to roll three D20 with every skill check. The meaning behind this is, that for example when you climb a tree, you do not just have to rely on your agility, but on your strength and your ability to spot good branches as well, which is why you'd have to roll three dice to represent Strength Wisdom and Agility. And once your fail only one die, you fail the check.
So, it's a system that punishes you for specializing? How's that any better than one that punishes you for not specializing?
>>
>>47507222
Not sure if this answers your question but see here.
You got your 8 basic attributes:
Courage
Sagacity...da fuck...well Intelligence
Intuition
Charisma
Dexterity
Agility
Strength

Basically four body and four mind abilities.
As a starter character these will vary from 8 - 14.

The skills are grouped up in Physical, Social,
Nature, Knowledge and Craft.
So if you want to make your character group in general, you can pick a feat thatgives you a bonus to them or let's you level those up easier, I can't remember right now.
Your skill level can help you balance out a bad ability score and in genreal are meant to determine how well you rolled.
If you roll badly and have to spent a lot of points to at least still make the check, you're going to have not made it as well as you could have.
If you've got a lot of points left, you're accomplished your goal faster or better or you get more money from a certain task.
>>
I always really like the job system in DSA since it's not actually like RPG classes that are set in stone.
Instead you choose a job or lifestyle that your character had before he went out adventuring and based on your choice you get bonus points to certain skills. So you can play the bookworm archeologist who finally got the courage to actually go out and see what he always read about, but also have the oportunity to play the furclad barbarian from the frozen north.

It might be a bit complicated, but it's got it's own kind of charm to it. But then I guess most people like the system that the started out with.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.