[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern Technology versus Fantasy World
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Dragon and Jet.jpg (448 KB, 1200x639) Image search: [Google]
Dragon and Jet.jpg
448 KB, 1200x639
I have started to like that motive, after reading a jietai kare no chi, kaku tatakeri manga. There is something really cool in taking the wizard out with a sniper rifle. Anyone else likes this motive ? Are there any books in such setting ? Which side wins the war ?
>>
> jietai kare no chi, kaku tatakeri

Fucking call it Gate.

Also, JSDF propaganda manga is harem bullshit, who knew?
>>
>>47475198
Yeah it is. But defending a trench against Roman like era army looks so comfy.
>>
Russia makes a shit ton of time travel books including modern tech vs. fantasy. None are good, though it's funny that the two most perpetually salty revanchist countries are most notable for producing superiority fantasies like that

I kind of like the idea personally, but I vastly prefer full-on modern (military) fantasy - modern tech versus fantasy has too much HFY for my tastes

Of course moderns win in most of the cases unless bullshit epic-level DnD wizards enter the scene
>>
I posed it in different place, but I'm going to post it here too.

Modern war technology is pretty impressive. But what magic does, by design, is making impossible possible with bullshit handwave. Thus usually magic wins in versatility, manoeuvrability, concealment and disruption, while direct engagement will likely play in favour of modern tech - after all, to pull the trigger you need to newt eyes or incantations.

Another thing however, is that ban of magic mixing with technology is often arbitrary and insubstantial. After all, wizards can enchant and wield swords (smithy is a technology) or wear clothes (looms are a technology) while eating breads (mills and ovens are a technology). So the exact reason why they can't procure an assault rifle and enchant it to infinite target-seeking bullets that explode with cloud of death curses on impact is not always clear.
>>
>>47475584
Because magi-tech settings are the best and criminally under used
>>
>>47475584
>But what magic does, by design, is making impossible possible with bullshit handwave.
yeah, but there's a difference when it takes a super high powered mage to nuke a city when all technology needs to do is use one of the thousands we have in stock and simply drop it.
>>
File: 1464318044815.png (115 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1464318044815.png
115 KB, 500x500
>>47475198
it is, but fuck man when they blew off the dragon's arm with a fucking rocket launcher i was so hype. i need more shit like that in my life.
>>
>>47475874
Yes. The wizard can scry your location and nuke you at least once a day.
>>
>>47475874
Don't fixate on damage-dealing abilities. Look at things like invisibility, teleportation, mind reading and mind control. Proper application of those could cause total collapse of military effort. Or curse them with bad luck and watch their nukes going into meltdown in their silos.
>>
File: 1382476815808.jpg (458 KB, 1210x834) Image search: [Google]
1382476815808.jpg
458 KB, 1210x834
>>47475182
What can you do against an army that can turn their and your deads in reinforcements ?
>>
>>47475182
>a jietai kare no chi, kaku tatakeri mang
Gesundheit
>>
>>47475858

I agree, but then you have those sorts of people who want magic to be "mysterious" as in it's just as likely to fart a fireball as it is to wave your hand around and dance like an idiot and cast an illusion.
>>
>>47475182
The problem with the setting in GATE is that the Fantasy world magic system is severely underpowered and very hard to achieve for the average folk, resulting in everything else being regular people, albeit some with different features like longlife or furry bodyparts.

This is in contrast with other genres like Sci-fi vs modern tech scenarios, where any alien shmuck backwater empire can blast the earth off-orbit while shrugging off nuclear weapons safe in their spaceships.

What needs to happen is a setting where fantasy can go toe-to-toe with modern tech, with magic rivaling science in some form, because if I wanted chainguns mowing down waves of peasants and levies I'd just read a book about the history of colonization.
>>
>>47475961
Shoot the necromancer?
>>
>>47475961
Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.