[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mon worldbuilding and plot hooks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 533x276) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 533x276
Hi /tg/! I'm planning on doing a game of Monsters and other childish things, with a campaign similar to the various 'mon animes.
What I've got so far is:
>every person is born with one monster companion, who gradually grows and evolves with the child as it gets older and attains more life experience.
>All children in this setting undergo a sort of coming of age ceremony once they turn 12, where they must travel around the continent on foot completing tasks for people to teach them the importance of hard work and community.
>wild mons and various beasties roam the land present a danger to the children on their pilgrimage
>there's fierce competition between the children doing the pilgrimage, mon battling is common.
What can I do to make the setting stand out a little more? It doesn't have to be super unique but a little more flavour would be nice. Also I need a few plot hooks as ideas for each "episode". Have any of you guys ran a similar campaign and have stories/tips?
>>
>>47467982
The coming of age ceremony involves defeating your mom in single combat and then raping your father
>>
>>47467982
WHEN YOU KILL SOMEONE YOU TAKE THERE MONS. THE PLAYERS SEEK TO DEFEAT THE METAL MON MASTER, A MAN WHO BREEDS PEOPLE ONLY TO KILL THEM FOR THEIR MONS.
>>
File: image.png (17 KB, 208x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
17 KB, 208x250
>>47468003
Funnily enough, I had an idea to have the PC's parents be kind of the end boss to the ceremony.
also funnily enough, raping my dad is my fetish
>>
>>47468061
Yeah I'm trying to keep it PG-13. Might have some horrifying implications built into the setting like so many childhood cartoons seem to have
>>
Also I thought of having a religion in the setting that worships a figure they believe gave people their monsters to protect them, they'd be at odds with scientists trying to discover the true nature of monsters.
As far as the setting's technology level I was thinking maybe modern/near future and have the pilgrimages filmed by drones for people's entertainment. Good idea y/n?
>>
>Each Gym badge you earn in a country allows you to gain access to another.
>Passports only allow international travel to those with more powerful pokemon.
>If you collect all the Gym Badges you get to fight the Elite Four
>On. The. Moon.
>Conquering them and Earth's Champion earns you the right to travel among the colonies of the star system with your pokemon.
>All the planets are home to all kinds of variants of pokemon specifically adapted to life on different worlds.
>And for the longest time, only Earth was home to man.
>Imagine how far you'll go once you collect the 8 Space Badges from across the solar system.
>>
>>47468535
Space pokemans, wait are space pokemans just alien races you're enslaving and making them fight for your amusement?
>>
Pokemon sentinel Quest had a really good variation on the pokemon world and rules
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 391x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 391x376
Bumping with best mon
>>
>>47468605
I mean like Digletts adapted for Mars and Tentacools adapted to Europa instead of intelligent aliens.
>>
>>47469117
Ooooh. Might give that a look, even if quests don't interest me that much
>>
>>47469117
What did it do to the premise?
>>
One last bump
>>
Give them metallic armor for a new form of meta
>>
Make them have more color variations than the shiny's
>>
Normally when people play tabletop games they try to think of things OTHER than high fantasy just to get some variety.
I think in this particular instance it would be cool if it were set in medieval times.

Because every other 'mon' show or game ever has always been in modern times.
If it were set in an older period I think that would be cool.
Would probably get a bit of a Ni no Kuni vibe.
>>
How is monsters and other childish things as a system? I think it'd be a good introduction to pen and papers because the premise is silly enough that I think my wargaming group could throw back some beers and play.
>>
>>47477885
It's solid and very simple, if you're familiar with ORE systems you'll know what to expect. You roll a dice pool of d10s and count matching dice. So you roll 3 5s your result is 3X5. The first number is the "width" of the roll which determines how fast you get somerhinf done. The second number is the "height" which determines the overall quality of your actions, or in combat, exactly where you hit an enemy
My personal favourite thing about MaOCT is that calling someone names is just as damaging as a punch. Also you can punch someone so hard their parents stop loving them
>>
>>47477806
That could work quite well actually, considering that the pilgrimage is kind of an antiquated idea. Its also good to not have to worry about modern inventions getting in the way of plot. "I lost my friends? Better call them on my cell phone"
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.