[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wizard Tricks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 1uDnZYa.jpg (48 KB, 1215x1470) Image search: [Google]
1uDnZYa.jpg
48 KB, 1215x1470
Playing 3.5 as a wizard, and tried using Explosive Runes as an improvised bomb. Almost died in the process, but it got me thinking.

Any favorite wizard tricks you have /tg/?
>>
File: 1451288783082.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451288783082.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1200
At low level, whenever I'm playing a wizard (or if I have it on a magic item as a Rogue) I like to escape bad situations by jumping from high places on purpose and using Featherfall. Most of the time the enemies won't have a way to keep following unless they're willing to take massive fall damage. Admittedly it's not that original or complicated, but it's one of my most used.

Minor Image (or similar illusion spell) to make a party member with lots of health/armor look like you (the squishy caster) is pretty funny too. Especially if you wana bait enemies into melee combat with an "easy" target. Also a good way to fake your death at a distance (illusion your own head coming off or something).

Rather than using Alarm Wards to protect your own camp or whatever, use them in enemy areas (set to the mental alarm, not the audible one) to get a feel for the guard patrol routes.

-Resist Fire + Carrying bombs/Alchemist Fire of some sort. Easy to see where this one is going.

-Kind of a higher level trick, and highly dependent on what the GM allows as crafting... but self-targeted Dispel Magic or Antimagic Field on an enchanted item. Then tell your party members the activation phrase. The point of this is to give your party members a a "kyptonite" to use against you if you fall under some sort of mind-controlling magic or possession or otherwise become... compromised.
>>
>>47467186
My character is an illusionist (OP pic related).

Think I'll take to Imaging the party Lasher as an old crone. Laughs will be had.
>>
File: 1462862843458.jpg (98 KB, 680x999) Image search: [Google]
1462862843458.jpg
98 KB, 680x999
>>47467248
As an illusionist in particular:

Use your illusions to make mounts throw their riders. Most animals have low Will saves, and most horses won't continue a charge if they see a tiger or some other large predator in their way. Play up your GM for bonuses since you're using something the creatures would specifically fear.

Vanish + Minor Image or some kind of Audible illusion is a good way to mislead opponents to your real position (put fake footprints on the ground or something) and make them waste attacks. I don't know about 3.5, but in Pathfinder non-damaging spells don't break invisibility. (GM may rule otherwise, so don't rely on this TOO much).

Arcane Mark, always mark your equipment and gear with this. If it's ever stolen and you have to prove it's yours, just speak the word and make the mark become visible. Also a good way to "mark" money if you need to catch thieves or follow a flow of money through the black market.

Not really a "trick" per say, but see if your GM is willing to let you consider certain non-illusion spells as part of the illusion school. For example, any spells that produce light (usually considered evocation) or something like Youthful Appearance (transmutation). If you have a lenient GM, usually you can get away with switching the schools of spells if they can be easily fluffed to be fit the role. This helps once you start getting feat bonuses to the saves of your selected school and such.

If your GM lets you use light effects as Illusions (or if you take them anyway), Dancing Lights is an EXCELLENT signal-flare. Just cast it as high in the sky as your spell range requires and it can serve as a good way to let your party members know of your position in say... a crowded city or a thick forest if you get separated or split up to perform a search of an area. Also makes a good "command tool" on the battlefield, especially if you code different colors or patterns to mean different things.
>>
GM just told me we're converting to 5e. This kills the wizard (Acid Splatter and Eidetic Spellcaster feats).

Do I roll a Sorcerer, or make a new character?
>>
>>47466924
For a moment, I thought her quiver was a pegleg.
>>
>>47469374
It's dark in the woods.
>>
>>47468450
How exactly does Acid Splatter kill a wizzard? Sorry, I'm not super familiar with 5e, but what's keeping you from just not using the spell if it sucks so much?
>>
>>47469537
It's a feat. As long as you have an acid spell of level 2+ memorized, you can throw a blob of acid that deals spell level d6.

OP is a powergamer.
>>
>>47469552
So I'm either really tired or really stupid... how exactly does this existing "kill" wizards as a class? You can still choose to not use it.
>>
>>47469552
Which is really funny because 5e has cantrips as at-will use, including acid splash. Which means that he doesn't need the feat to do what it does.

>>47469573
It's a 3.5 feat, OP is complaining that without it, Wizards are dead as a class.
>>
File: 1451289574879.jpg (967 KB, 850x1322) Image search: [Google]
1451289574879.jpg
967 KB, 850x1322
>>47468450
Why do you need Acid Splatter? You're playing an Illusionist. Just grab a Wand or a Staff or something with an offensive spell on it and use that (those still exist in 5e, right?) if you absolutely need an attack spell... but most of your time spent as an illusionist should be used messing with enemies with your illusions while your allies do damage. You don't play Illusionist to be a damage-canon.

Between Sorc and Wizard, they both look like they can work... wizard seems more specialized as a first-glance. The sorc archetype with dragon blood seems more offense-oriented, and the wild-magic sorc has to deal with a fallout-effect table, no thanks.
>>
>>47469653
>Spend loot on this thing that you spent feats to use at will.
>>
>>47469723
Dude, cantrips in 5e are at-will. Read the acid splash effect, it does damage that scales with your level.
>>
>>47469723
Pretty sure he meant "buy a wand/staff" if you need a HIGH LEVEL offensive spell... because Acid Splash is at-will, reusable, and scales with your level in 5e. It's not the best spell, no, but it'll be serviceable for regular non-ball-busting combat.

For the ball-busting boss stuff, suck it up and buy stuff to support higher-level casting. It's no different than a fighter buying a magic weapon.
>>
>>47468450
Caster supremacy is still in 5e, you'll be fine.

Phantasmal Force is a good spell.
>>
File: are you hyped.png (157 KB, 345x555) Image search: [Google]
are you hyped.png
157 KB, 345x555
>cloudkill
>gust of wind
>>
>>47468450
How badly do you need to not have a spellbook and munchkin damage?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.