[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
honored Folk of /tg/ i humbly seek your advice. For i am but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Logo_of_General_Motors.svg.png (269 KB, 2000x1989) Image search: [Google]
Logo_of_General_Motors.svg.png
269 KB, 2000x1989
honored Folk of /tg/

i humbly seek your advice.

For i am but a poor lad with nothing more then a good brain full of colorful ideas and noble goals.
I seek to build a pen&paper group. From scratch, so to say.
I would like to be GM. Sure i can stand and match your, or any, compasion therefore.
Alas.
What woes whos wickering is that i have never actually done it.
I have very little P&P practice. And never actually GM´d. I have experience at LARPing, a low power, politic heavy, world of darkness carmarilla domain with multiple actual citys playing, no less.

And i have no clue what a system we are going to use.
I enjoy the All Guardsman Party so i consider the 40kThing. Plus i played 40k Imperial Guard and was a HUGE fan. GW price politics though.

And i also lack a group.

Do have some dice, though.

So yeah, gotta start somewhere.
Im hoping for tips, experiences, advise. What persons should i recruit for my group? which should i ditch? Where should i look for them in the beginning? Uni i guess?
What is important to know when preping my campain?
Which mistakes should i avoid?
>>
>>47352339
If you're at uni, do they have a gaming society?
>>
am not. i dont know if they have something like that here, but i guess so, town´s like that.
>>
You talk like a fag, try Craigslist
>>
>>47352339

if you talk the way you write, have fun only getting equally shitty-sounding nerds to even bother with you

tabletops have gotten mainstream enough that you don't have to put up a nerd act to attract attention any more.
>>
Jeez people, i was just having fun.
>>
>>47352339
Really, the best way to start in my opinion is just to get a group of friends and suggest them to try it out. As you're all total newbies no one should have problems if things won't go perfect for the first time. Although if they are not into 40k I would rather suggest starting with something simplier which everyone can hop right into, preferably some casual fantasy.

As for the rulebooks the pdf's can be easily found online and are regularly posted here.

My general advice is to take it easy. I really think that for your first session it is best to just get a group of friends and focus on having a good time. If they are also total newbies in rpgs don't throw overcomplicated plots and settings at them from the beginning unless they specificaly ask for it and don't expect miracles either from them or yourself. At the beginning they will probably have problems with good roleplaying and you with gming, but that's okay and natural, you'll get better in time. I created the scenario for my first session literally on my way to the toilet right before we started playing, because we arranged it kind of spontanously and I was too busy reading rules to actually figure something out before. Obviously it was simple and far from perfect but still we had a lot of fun and we play regularly to this day.
>>
thank you for your words, kind sir
>>
>>47355866
Not a problem, always happy to help a beginner.
If you have any questions, shoot.
>>
>>47352339

Pick a game you know well and want to run.

Just either find a local game store or ask some of your normie friends. If you get enough people interested form group.

Just keep people who are interested in the game itself, not just cus they want to hang out. Do other shit with them, but don't let them bog the game down for people who really want to play.

Don't be pushy if they're not interested, a one shot can be a great experience. Pick something in print in case anyone gets interested and wants to pick up their own copy.

Something rules lite is going to be easier to pitch, and you should have a few pre-gen characters who people who feel too intimidated by the rules or are unsure of what to do.

>Which mistakes should i avoid?

Don't be afraid to kick people who are disruptive. You're not actually being nice by keeping them around and making everyone else suffer through their autistic bullshit.
>>
>>47352339
personally i learned a lot from this playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw17SbxcXrE&list=PLuGFF6RJgaMrlxVxEB7XsBerrIFgnqZIa
>>
>>47358391
That all sounds ... sound.
Thank you.

>>47363087
uh, nice, will look into it, thx as well.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.