[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frostgrave Friday: "where are you from" Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 21
File: 9298[1].jpg (156 KB, 750x1011) Image search: [Google]
9298[1].jpg
156 KB, 750x1011
Resources
FAQ thread where you can ask to Joseph A. McCullough, Frostgrave designer (forum handle joe5mc)
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0

Online warband creator
http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

Rulebook:
https://mega.co.nz/#!CVF3GTIS!i0V9IaACpjj1s1Bq2wqvZII5T5ad8UULZYWW3mpefc0

Lich+Golem+Sellsword+Alchemy:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1e68645496dga//Frostgrave

Warhammer Townscapes: old school Warhammer Fantasy print buildings
https://mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

Official Miniatures
20x Soldiers and a lot of bits
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467
20x Cultists, and a lot of bits
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7731

Wizard sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXdkRYZlM5TjhRSDA/view?usp=sharing
spell cards
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXV3psZ0hOT1AwMEE/view?usp=sharing

Don't forget - you can use any miniatures from any manufacturer, regardless of their race - just make them obvious what they are.

"Required" scenery
>6x6 mausoleum
>6 special treasure token - 3 per player
>Various spooky skeletons
>A Genie
>10 inch+ high tower and enough broken wall sections to make a 12x12 ruined building
>Zone mortalis kind of board + 4 doorways
>6x statues
>1x giant worm (human sized)
>6 small buildings without roof
>6 wraiths
>a well
>4x 2" diameter discs
>6 columns or ruined columns (or re-use the statues)

If expansions are in play, add-
Hunt for the Golem
>One Granite Golem
>Five corpse markers per player
>Ruined factory terrain

Sellsword
>Six pillars
>Four additional wells
>Nullmen miniatures (suggested number: 2-5 per player)

Thaw of the Lich Lord
>Assorted cultists
>6 Rangifiers (reindeer beastmen)
>One ship
>A cart
>Seven independent doorways
>One Ghoul King
>A throne
>A large cauldron
>Banshees (1 per warband)
>A 6" wheel/circle
>A Lich Lord
>Two Wraith Knights (+1/player beyond two)

Alchemy
>One Alchemical Monstrosity
>Four Fire Flingers
>>
File: Fünf!.png (136 KB, 411x680) Image search: [Google]
Fünf!.png
136 KB, 411x680
>>47341262
>where are you from
Germany
>>
>>47341262

>where are you from

Burgerland.
>>
>>47341262
a bit early aren't you ?
>>
>>47343541
It's Friday for the Asiatics, Africans and Europe.
>>
Who did the review of those giant, cheap, vacuformed plastic terrain pieces? I seem to recall he was snowing them up for Frostgrave and they looked pretty good for their price.
>>
>>47341262
Poland, but Mordheim (or rather Warheim) is still strong here so if you want to find players you need to alternate between the games.
>>
>>47344295
Bump for interest
>>
>>47341262

Are there any US distributors of the plastic sets? Bonglish shipping charges are brutal
>>
>>47346934
You could always pick up some old WHFB minis for cheap.
>>
Played my first campaign game today, running an Enchanter. Got away with 3 Treasures, the enemy wizard in the dirt (like, actually dead), and I only lost a Templar and Thug (both of them died too). The Templar got blasted by the enemy Apprentice before doing anything, but the Thug caved the Wizard's skull in before he went down.

Starting loadout:
Apprentice (200)
Templar (100)
Marksman (100)
Thug x2 (40)
Thief x2 (40)

Spells: Animate Construct, Enchant Armor, Embed Enchantment, Elemental Hammer, Monstrous Form, Absorb Knowledge, Mud, Bone Dart

My treasure after selling some useless scrolls was: 495gc, Ring of Power (1), and a Scroll of Fleet Feet.

Bought a replacement Templar, a Knight, two Archers, potions of Armor and Speed, and successfully used Embed Enchantment to give my Marksman +1 armor.
>>
>>47346934
Brigade games, out of Jersey:
http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Frostgrave_c_578.html
They don't have the cultists, but everything else is on discount.
>>
>>47341262

The muslamic caliphate of bongistan.
>>
File: p_set3_womanowl_p_f.jpg (19 KB, 224x300) Image search: [Google]
p_set3_womanowl_p_f.jpg
19 KB, 224x300
>>47341262
So where to get good looking wizard miniatures, I don't hate the ones Frostgrave makes but they look a bit bland, anybody got some other nice looking wizards, witches or something? Maybe just a medieval scientist fellow
>>
>>47350630

Browse the Reaper miniatures line, there's a few dozen wizards to choose from there. The bones line is cast in PVC and is exceptionally cheap, with enough models to fill out pretty much everything from monsters to heroes to basic henchmen.

If somehow none of those are to your liking, there's usually some good wizards in any miniature line.
>>
>>47350630
Most of them are pretty lackluster compared to some other wizard minis out there, but I really like the Summoner and Necromancer.
>>
>>47345015
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80671.0
>>
>>47350630
Personal hitlist:
Hasslefree
Dark Sword
Reaper
Red Box
>>
>>47341262
>where are you from
Sweden.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 600x620
>>47350630
I'm gonna use the old Heinrich Kemmler model from Warhammer and use the Frostgrave Necromancer as the apprentice. You can't go wrong with the Goth Gandalf lichemaster.
>>
>>47341262
Florida.

I've just finished the Wizard and Apprentice for my fourth warband. Now I gotta figure out how to get people interested in playing.

I've got enough monsters, too.
>>
>>47354472

Man, Red Box and Dark Sword have some great shit. I wish Hasslefree had a wider selection of bits, though.
>>
>>47360605
>Goth Gandalf
I always see Rob Zombie in him.
>>
>>47364354
Either one works fine for me.
>>
Thanks for reminding me I actually need to start working on these skeletons.
>>
>>47365902
Yeah, I need to get working on them bones.
>>
So are the reprinted spellcards gonna include the ones from the upcoming expansion?
>>
Ireland here.

Was thinking of using my Skaven. What wizard class would be best for a grey seer?
>>
>>47366984
Depends.
I could see an enchanter for all the constructs you could field with a skyre warplock technician.
For a plague priest I'd consider using a witch or a necromancer maybe.
A grey seer could maybe be a soothsayer or something like that? If you are more going for throwing green flames etc, an elementalist is probably not a bad choice either. Might depend a little on what kind of personality quirks you want to stress most.
>>
>>47367133
They are also adding beastcrafting magic in the Breeding Pits expansion.
>>
File: Hasslefree Veda-Ann.jpg (36 KB, 440x560) Image search: [Google]
Hasslefree Veda-Ann.jpg
36 KB, 440x560
So, I'm a big fan of Frostgrave. It has singlehandedly revived my interest in building and painting terrain and models for 28mm again. I think the reason I enjoy it is a combination of the creativity it encourages with conversions and finding miniatures (when we play there are models from probably 10 manufacturers on the table, easy, if you count bits) and terrain building, together with the format of the game.

Miniature wargaming at the 28mm scale really is at it's best in games where you care about the models and some kind of narrative emerges, and the whole cooky campaign play with mates format just makes for a better atmosphere than pickup games in stores with more popular systems.

BUT.
I don't think the rules are great. The D20 system is very swingy in a way that feels unsatisfying, and there is very little detail in actions and progression on any model except the captain and the wizard/apprentice. I feel that it's a wasted opportunity to make a game with only 10 minis in a warband, but have 8 of those minis be so generic and limited in options (I mean, come on, who doesn't love buying equipment and upgrades etc?)

To this end, I have started a home-brew system for it from the ground up with my friends. If we bother to finish it I might turn it into a pdf and share here, even if people love frostgrave as is, there's bound to be some houserules to use and it's going to include the map based movement system we've created for our campaigns.

What are some things you guys wish was in Frostgrave, or would like to be able to do, both in-game rules wise and warband creation wise? What kind of setting would you play in if you could choose any kind you wanted, not just snowy ruins? What level of equipment or progression detail would you like for mooks? Do you like the way magic works?

I'm not looking to start a fight or dump on the game, I just think it's perfect type of game to houserule and modify, heavily, and would love to hear what ideas you guys have.
>>
>>47368401
I would say the same. The spirit it encourages and with more focus than ASoBAH helps really push it forwards. I can finally use my Confrontation figures again a long with others I have collected, as opposed to most games which are just an excuse to sell you a certain company's figures. Kings of War does something similar, but you need a million figures for that.

I personally want to see options for individually upgrading soldiers via veterancy, similar to what Mordheim did.
>>
>>47367133
Thanks for that. I have the models for that. Ikit Klaw will look savage in some ruins.
>>
>>47368447
Man, confrontation had the prettiest minis. This is the mini I'm using as the sorcerer for my lizard/snake themed warband. Only, you know. Not as nicely painted.

>>47341262
>Where are you from
Sweden
>>
File: S'ygma.jpg (56 KB, 487x600) Image search: [Google]
S'ygma.jpg
56 KB, 487x600
>>47368696
>This is the mini

Of course I forgot the picture like a retad.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 669x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 669x1000
>>47368401
I think the system on its own is solid because it's easy to understand for new people. Also, because it's not cluttered with excessive amount of rules or include too many variables it's not intimidating to get into.

That being said, I would totally be in favour of something along the lines of a Frostgrave Advance module.
>>
>>47368401
I'm having fun digging through my old minis, checking out my large amount of bits to customise my warbands, terrain and treasure markers.
>>
File: Red Box Miniatures diorama.jpg (1 MB, 700x4529) Image search: [Google]
Red Box Miniatures diorama.jpg
1 MB, 700x4529
>>47364195
>>47354472
>Red Box

My Moors of impeccable taste.
>>
So what proxy minis are people using for what?
>>
>>47370961
The Living Statues for the one scenario are going to be played by Skorne Immortals.
>>
>>47371034
I'm kinda struggeling with finding some good throwaway minis in my collection to use for statues. Old Warhammer orcs and undead doesn't seem all that proper.
>>
>>47371295
I picked up a cheap chess set at goodwill with pieces made to look like people, tooons of statues for terrain stuff. Old goofy monopose GW minis like the paint set minis or Heroquest dudes also make good statues.
>>
Are authors of the game planning to add more distinction, when it comes to characters and races? I ask because, at the moment I can't find a good game that could fit int a gap that was left by Mordheim. Frostgrave seems cool at the first glance, however it lack a litle bit in character progression and race diversity.
>>
>>47371919
The only player warband distinction so far is the wizards leading them. The game doesn't seem to be made with wildly diverse warbands in mind to keep it more balanced.
>>
>>47371919
>No characterization! In a game where you can play with any mini you want!

It's made a point of being symmetrical. There's no races, both so that people can use whatever miniatures they want, and so that you don't get any balance arguments, because everyone can use the same stuff.

I'm okay just getting to use orc minis if I want to, I don't need them to have special orc rules if it means opening the game up to faction balance crap.
>>
>>47372276
They could add more customization options without adding factions. Essentially you can hire orcs or elves or fishmen or whatever, and give them more diverse equipment or features without restricting those options to one player.
>>
>>47372661
Just use barbarians for your orc mercenary needs.
>>
>>47372661
But that wouldn't be adding options, I can already have any of my warband members be an orc mercenary if I want to.

The beauty of frostgrave is that you can make a warband roster and then use whatever models you think are the coolest.

if you give orcs or fishmen different rules, it's suddenly about what race is the best, not which one you like the models of the most.

In my nerdgang there's one person who only uses old warhammer orcs, another who uses lord of the rings elves and a third who only uses GW empire models, and a fourth who uses historical miniatures. And they can, because a barbarian is just any dude who looks tough and has a big weapon, and a thug is anyone with the right weapons who looks more shifty than the rest of the gang. And I love that.

I play with a mix of Rackham Ophidians and Reaper lizard men for one warband and Red Box humans for another.

I don't need racial options. Adding more types of mercenary, awesome, but stay away from locking any sort of goon class into a specific race.
>>
File: harry potter chess set.jpg (43 KB, 736x424) Image search: [Google]
harry potter chess set.jpg
43 KB, 736x424
>>47371295
I bought one of these from ebay.

Reaper recently released minis for statues too.

In the Frostgrave rulebook they used foot seargents from Fireforge. So basically left over minis from the box of 40 they used to build the mooks in the rulebook.
They just glued them onto bottlecaps.

You can also get gargoyles or cthulu statues for various boardgames and stuff like that. Fenris Games in the uk has a nice selection of occult themed stuff for World of Darkness style games and even 'generic' runestones (based on real life ones, they're pretty cool)
>>
>>47374992
Well, as long as I can get it cheap.
>>
So, anons, I have a question. How would you suggest going about getting a Frostgrave "League" together, in terms of stuff to do?

What would you suggest as the rankings and stuff, if that bad idea was done?

I'm thinking of trying to get more people interested locally, and a league might do it.

Maybe make "League play" have a scenario each week, and 'rankings' being based on spells learned, highest level, most treasure claimed, etc?

There definitely has to be a turn count.
>>
>>47376140
I prefer just playing at home. Frostgrave is not very fun or appealing without great terrain and people who are on the same page as you. I will say though that multiplayer games with four players or so are great though.
>>
>>47371581
eBay search for "plastic Dark Elf" gets groups of the old one piece swordsmen...

I was considering a six-pack of Stormcast, but even the secondary market is stupidly priced.
>>
>>47377931
The prices seems to have become increasingly insane ever since Age of Sigmar happened.
>>
>>47376140
>What would you suggest as the rankings and stuff,

Current Warband value?
>>
>>47378036
GW and a few others acting like they have the industry and players by the short hairs is why games like Frostgrave are important AND successful.
>>
>>47379825
Might add that, too.

"How much does your warband cost, right now?"
>>
>>47380224
I know the official advice for leagues with blow out leaders is to start another band when playing the lower ranked.
>>
>>47379860
Yeah, ebay speculators are like those assholes that buy all the tickets for a concert or sometjing and then sell them at an inflated price.
>>
Anyone have any good advice for countering Elemental Bolt? It seems to have a disproportionate ability to create no-go zones because of it's high chance to just delete anything it gets pointed at, even heavy cover isn't very reliable in the face of that +8.

I'm an Enchanter if that's relevant.
>>
>>47384322
>Remember, the ruins of Frostgrave are crowded and maze-like, so there should be lots of terrain on the table, and there should be few areas where line of sight extends more than a foot or two, IF THAT.

One of the biggest failure of the rulebook is that the author tells us that having more than a few places on the board where people can actually see more than a foot in one direction might be pushing it.

Ranged magic is very powerful, and that's meant to balance out the fact that most of the time you have a very limited number of targets, and people can easily avoid you by simply taking a side street or standing behind walls.

In most games where you're using that amount of terrain, powerful ranged attacks let you control a square or street where there might be a treasure token or two, which means the other guy will probably focus on taking treasure somewhere else where your marksmen or wizard can't cover it.
>>
>>47386222
I think the issue might be my store simply doesn't have the right terrain to play this game. It's all 40k shit that looks like swiss cheese and waist-high walls, cover is everywhere but actual LOS blocking is hard to come by.

Then again, it's the same situation or worse in every game store I've visited in my life, so how do people play it the "right" way to begin with unless they slam hundreds of dollars into proper terrain?
>>
File: Finished-Chimney.png (391 KB, 520x563) Image search: [Google]
Finished-Chimney.png
391 KB, 520x563
>>47386343
>it's the same situation or worse in every game store I've visited in my life, so how do people play it the "right" way to begin with unless they slam hundreds of dollars into proper terrain?

Most wargamers of any game play at home with home made terrain. Frostgrave is a terrible game to start if your only playing venue is a club and if you need to pay for ready made terrain.

We have enough terrain to completely cover a 3*3 table in terrain, most of which will be houses and ruins that is 2 floors or taller, if we want to, so more than enough to play frostgrave on 4*4. Most of it is home made from blue and pink insulation foam, cardboard, plasticard, balsa wood and putty. You can make all that terrain with less than a hundred bucks of materials, but it's a massive time investment. I spent more time on our terrain than I've spent on entire armies of miniatures.
>>
>>47386222
>>47386343

That was meant to be:
>One of the biggest failure of the rulebook is that the author tells us that having more than a few places on the board where people can actually see more than a foot in one direction might be pushing it, but only in an offhand way in one sentence. This should be emphasized, repeatedly throughout the book.

I rewrote part of it before posting and managed to forget it. I'm not saying that the game is bad because it needs tons of terrain, I'm saying the book is doing a terrible job of getting across how much terrain you actually need.
>>
>>47386343
Spend 5 dollars on foam and you can make a monument or pyramid big enough to completely block LoS across the middle of a 3x3 board.
>>
>>47386506

That's beautiful, anon.
>>
>>47386343
See what the local craft stores have in those brown paper mache shapes.

Or visit the card shop and grab a handful of the smaller CCG boxes. 60 to 150 count boxes are going to be a buck or two each. You can pretty 'em up later, but they'll cover a table in LOS blockage for cheap.
>>
>>47386587
I agree that the mention being in only one place and not prominent is a lapse.
>>
>>47386651
Not mine! But its how we build ours, so the pic is appropriate.
>>
>>47386699

I'm not exactly a wiz when it comes to building with plasticard, but I can definitely do that kind of brickwork with foam. I just need to actually get a sheet of that foam to work with.

I suppose it depends on what kind of ruins you want to make. Townhouses and winding cobblestone streets or a cyclopean maze stone structures.
>>
File: free 3d model.jpg (25 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
free 3d model.jpg
25 KB, 580x435
>>47386343
For our first setup we took a bunch of textures from free 3d models of terrain online (there is tons) and printed them out on paper, which we glued to empty milk cartons, juice boxes, pringles cans and so on that we glued to thin mdf bases so they wouldn't move around. You can also papercraft with cardboard if you want more elaborate stuff, but we just used it as "proxy" terrain that didn't look like shit.

It cost us almost nothing and let us start playing with tons of terrain before we had finished building the "real" terrain. It's also an awesome way of testing out building designs.

"This would be even better if it was a little taller, this needs to have another entrance so you can set it up in more ways, and this should have a flatter roof so miniatures can stand on it" is really good stuff to figure out before you start on elaborate building projects.
>>
File: 4S7Kt9.jpg (156 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
4S7Kt9.jpg
156 KB, 800x600
Amera does some cheap stuff good for Frostgrave, this is only £12.99.
>>
>>47386748
>cobblestone streets
I'd love to do a board like this, but I get hung up on using foam for that. Seems like it won't last long.
I'm considering alternatives casting panels of brickwork myself.
Haven't had a really good idea that made me want to spring into action yet.
>>
>>47386748
That kind of foam is more expensive than regular styrofoam (very easy to get hold of, they have it in any construction/hardware store since it's used as isolation) Still really cheap though, 20 bucks gets you enough to build several foundations or ruins etc.

What I do to make it last forever, is cut it into long, thin strips that I make individual, thin stones from. Roll a piece of rock over it so you get more texture and not uniform flatness, then just start cutting it into little squares with scissors.

Then you just use the fake stone foam squares to texture whatever you feel like. We have a tower that's basically a cardboard tube covered in those stones. Super easy.

>>47386813
>Cobblestone streets

A really cheap solution is textured wallpaper or textured plasticard. You can find some that looks kinda like cobbles and paving and use it when building your board, or even to texture building walls.
>>
>>47386813

Hirstarts has some cobblestone casts if you want. Modular and cheap to cast with plaster.

Otherwise, you can spend that cash on a beautifully printed gaming mat to set things on for about as much, but it'll be flat with no texture to it.

>>47386869

Haven't seen it at any of my local hardware stores, but I haven't had access to the car that can actually fit one of those sheets (even chopped up). I do now, though, so I can start searching in earnest.

Also, opinions on textured spraypaint? Could give some rocks or areas a more textured look. Normally I guess it'd just look pretty sandy, but it might serve as a good improvised base for either snow, rubble, or plant overgrowth.
>>
>>47382469
I'd run through Dark Alchemy, actually. That would give a bit of time to catch up.
>>
>>47386940
I don't like textured spray, there's not enough texture in it usually, it ends up looking like you painted something outside while the neighbor was sawing down a tree and some of the dust got caught in the paint.

Better to just buy a big bottle of acrylic primer and mix in some fine sand or even sprinkle it on before dry.

Other good stuff to use when building:

plaster (pour a thin layer of it on something flexible, like a plastic sheet, rubber mat, old mousepad, whatever) then you let it dry and give it a smack and take it off in little shards and pieces. It's great filler for ruins and broken ground and looks way, way better as rubble than just using gravel or random rocks that never look like they were actually part of the building. Also good for filling gaps or giving some weight to flimsy buildings.

Baking soda+ super glue. Baking soda is very fine, like fine sand, and when you pour super glue on it (cyanoacrylate, thin kind, not gel kind) it instantly cures and becomes super hard. EVERY time I have trouble fitting together big pieces for terrain projects, especially things of different materials that wouldn't handle the hot glue from a glue gun, this is what I use. since It sets instantly and is really durable. It's also great for texturing bases and doesn't peel off or crumble the way sand and pva glue does some times. Since it's also very fine it looks better on small scale stuff than coarser sand does.

When it comes to the isolation foam, they usually sell it in a big stack that is more than you'll ever need, so see if they can sell you individual sheets. One of my friends is a builder so I can always just ask him where they're doing stuff so I can snatch up offcuts and random pieces of it for free.
>>
>>47387219
>When it comes to the isolation foam, they usually sell it in a big stack that is more than you'll ever need,

My local Home Despot has apparently noticed (or been informed) that the pink board has small scale uses, and now has aisle displays of "project foam board" pieces 2' square.
>>
>>47387312
Hey, that's awesome!
My next board is going to be made up of 1'*1' and 2'*2' pieces of insulation foam, one or two layers, on top of oilboard or mdf or similar.

That way I can make individual board pieces that extend down as well as up, like a pit, exposed/collapsed sewer or basement etc, and then have some pieces with built in terrain and some flat pieces to put separate terrain pieces on top of.
>>
>>47387393
>Hey, that's awesome!
Particularly since we don't normally get pink board locally, yes.
>>
I have seen some examples of people using thin cardboard, making indentations with pen, and then painting and drybrushing that for basic cobblestone or flagstone. After that you would need appropriate ruins to decorate the map.

Are there any examples of well done Frostgrave boards?
>>
>>47387745
>Are there any examples of well done Frostgrave boards?
That is the trick. Even the boards I see over at Lead Adventure (the official home forum of Frostgrave) are typically too light, though often very pretty.
>>
>>47388112
I feel the same way. Having a really dense board with even some vertical play via towers and walk ways is ideal, but very difficult to acheive even if you have hundreds of hirst pieces in front of you already.
>>
>>47388160
I honestly think using hirst arts stuff is making things difficult for yourself.

If you want some random blocks to scatter around or smash up, it's great, but building things out of them is time consuming, makes for heavy pieces and really just looks kind of dull and dead since the blocks are so uniform. Cutting up and texturing extruded foam and stuff like that is flexible, faster and cheaper, while also being light weight.
>>
>>47388459
That's a pretty nice guide. Instead of cutting out the individual rooftiles I would instead cut out rows of them to save time. It would also make for a sturdier construct.
>>
>>47388547
This concept could be good for Frostgrave, would just have to worry about missile troops shutting down bridges.
>>
File: Tiles for hoardings.jpg (212 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Tiles for hoardings.jpg
212 KB, 1200x1600
>>47388931
Since you can just stack sheets, cutting the individual tiles is quicker than cutting individual gaps into the rows to make them look good, and since it's all glued together it's plenty sturdy anyway. I cut strips of roughly the right size, then stack them 3 or 4 thick, and cut out the tiles with a slight diagonal cut (alternating direction) so that they aren't quite square, but one side is more narrow. That way, when you put them next to each other there's a bit of a gap between them.

Individual tiles is also good when you're tiling rounded or pointed roofs like on towers etc.
>>
>>47389296
I suppose that makes sense. It does seem like a lot of effort, though.
>>
>>47389078
I realize not many people step outside the box when painting the TME lime, but why black and orange?
>>
>>47390055
Looks comfy?
>>
>>47388459
So how East is the foamboard to cut? Because it seems like a cheap and sturdy material I might use for something like this.
>>
>>47393145
>how easy is the foamboard*
>>
So, random thought. One of the things I wasn't thrilled about with Frostgrave was, well... The frost. Snow is tricky to make look good, and it's all a little bleak and dreary, isn't it?

It's a nice plot device to explain why nobody has bothered looting the city until now, but you can make up any old nonsense to accomplish that.

What kind of alternative settings would people like to see? Do you enjoy the idea of a lot of environmental effects and things like that, or is it just visuals?

>>47393145
It's very easy to cut it's just a really thin layer of foam between two layers of craft paper or card. Honestly it's not super sturdy, but it's very easy to cut or work with, and it's less prone to warping than cardboard is, so it's better to use as the core of things that will get painted.

Personally I mostly use denser, double layer cardboard instead, it's a lot cheaper and more durable, even if it's harder to work with.
>>
>>47393254
That sounds like the kind of material I would like to use. Reinforcing it with a frame should make it fairly sturdy, right?
>>
>>47393254
I'm just really fine with the general idea Mordheim had. I don't even use the Frostgrave setting or snow.
>>
File: coffee stirrers.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
coffee stirrers.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>47393511
Absolutely.

Can't go wrong with wooden coffee stirrers. Like popcicle sticks but a little rougher. Looks great cut down for floorboards, random planks used to cross gaps, cut down for fencing and details, lots of uses. Good both for detailing and internal structure, just grab a hot glue gun or your non-shrinking glue of choice and go nuts. Like in
>>47386506
for instance.
>>
>>47393254
I avoid having to put snow over everything by playing the 'iced over' thing as a magical frost. so whilst there is some small bits of snow its largely just a cold climate area. The fluff Ive written for it is that the city was afflicted by a plague of unknown origins and much like the black plague in england, heaps of people died and shit went sideways fast. with the last wizards of the city sacrificing the power of the city to contain the plague
>>
This game has piqued my interest- does anyone have any pictures of games in progress? I think I could convince a few friends to put together warbands for some casual campaigning if it looks cool in practice.
>>
>>47393644
Just Google image search, man. It will be faster than waiting for people to post stuff for you. It's also a game that only looks as cool as the stuff you bring to the table. So it's all up to you and anyone else playing.
>>
>>47393611
Oh, I guess I have to buy a hotglue gun then.
>>
>>47393254
>One of the things I wasn't thrilled about with Frostgrave was, well... The frost.
Sandgrave is a frequently seen re-skin, but really, just build the ruinscape you like and go for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 550x413
>>47393644
>>
>>47393877
Yeah, the frozen city theme is more of a suggestion. Like just rename ice giants into giants that fits the general theme of the setting you want to use.
>>
File: hot glue gun.jpg (11 KB, 600x295) Image search: [Google]
hot glue gun.jpg
11 KB, 600x295
>>47393864
Well you don't have to but it's just really nice to have. I bought one of the smaller kinds in a store for like 4 bucks and I've used the fuck out of it. Really good to have for sticking terrain stuff together, especially when you're doing a real build-a-thon and don't want to wait for other glue to dry in stages. Hot glue sets pretty damn fast, and it's sticky and keeps stuff in place while it dries, so it's all kinds of practical.
>>
>>47393644
Just bear in mind that it's an awesome game to play for fun with like-minded friends who loves building terrain and playing campaign and dorking out on character progression etc.

It's shit if you're just gonna play it in a store and if you can't build anything more complex than a styrofoam hill.
>>
>>47393877
>>47393919
Oh, I know you can use whatever theme you want, but is there a particular one people would like to see developed more? Bestiary, environmental hazards, region specific lore etc?

Yes, you can just call it sandgrave and swap out every instance of blizzard with sandstorm and be done with it, but where's the fun in that?
>>
>>47395971
>but where's the fun in that?
...This freeform thing might not be the right way for you, Anon.
>>
>>47395971
Well, I think you could do a small compendium of suggestions for a lot of different city-grave places. I personally would love to see Swampgrave, with added water-based environmental challenges, but I don't think there's one setting everyone wants to see done specifically.
>>
>>47398939
>Freeform

I think you're missing the point, badly.
Not being setting specific means you're free to make up whatever cool settings you want, not that you're not supposed to care about setting at all.

I'm not asking where the fun is in swapping out the ice and snow theme, I'm asking where's the fun in doing it half-assed? It's a great opportunity to make up your own setting, and it's a missed opportunity to just leave it at "I swapped out all mentions of snow for sand, the end"
>>
>>47389078

You could increase the amount of stuff inbetween the spaces, limiting line of sight to a few corridors. Even using those openings for bridges and possibly making the space short enough to risk jumping over. Ultimately, you just need to make sure to board is well-populated with terrain otherwise, perhaps even going so far as to box in the mountaintop areas in the walls of a castle and having few exposed spaces with relatively limited but still advantageous vantage points. A study of videogame multiplayer arenas comes in handy when map building.
>>
>>47393254
So how thick is the foamboard used for this anyway?
>>
File: image.jpg (718 KB, 1600x1097) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
718 KB, 1600x1097
>>47395971
>>47395971
>but where's the fun in that?
It will be fun because I'm going to go with the Mordheim theme. In the cursed city of Mordheim anything could happen like sudden blizzards followed by purple acid rain and later the floor could be lava. That game also had a fantastic visual style. I can also easily just use my stuff for actual Mordheim games as well.
>>
>>47399863
Yeah, Frostgrave is so easiy to reinterpret you could easily make it a postapocalyptic sci-fi setting with warbands armed with pipeguns and junk weapons lead by people with psychic powers. They could be looking for old tech in a city full of robots, mutants and Resident Evil style bioweapons. Any magic items found could simply instead be old technology that is superior to whatever the warband would be using or some enhancements thst lets the psychic unlock more psychic powers. Call it Mad Frost or whatever.
>>
>>47393611
Yeah, I found some and they seem hilariously cheap.
>>
File: Some other dudes terrain.jpg (274 KB, 900x763) Image search: [Google]
Some other dudes terrain.jpg
274 KB, 900x763
>>47402395
Yeah I bought a bag of the long ones, like 7-8 inches and didn't really pay attention, I was just "oh, sure 5 bucks, I'll detail a couple buildings and make a floor with them" and then when I got the bag it was like 300 of them. That's like... 60 yards of coffee stirrers or something. I've started making wooden sheds and exposed floors, walkways, fences, anything I can think of just to use them up.

The only bad thing about them is that some of them are a bit warped and crooked, but I just put all the twisted or bent ones aside to use for stuff that's broken or burned, so they're gonna get snapped off or scattered about.
>>
>>47403311
I found a bag with 1000 of them for like $5-7. Since I don't want to get into casting resin, what would be a good option for making windows out of cheap materials?
>>
>>47400965
I think the standard thickness is like 1/8", but there are other kinds too.

>>47405470
Honestly, resin is super cheap and really useful to be able to use, so I recommend that you learn to.

That said, the point of the resin windows was just that it's faster to make that way if you need to do a lot than yo build them from scratch every time.

A more ghetto solution for making simple stamp-molds of objects like doors, windows, flat-type decorations or objects like weatherwanes or cartwheels is using Hot glue sticks.

First build (or take it from some terrain kit or miniature) the piece you need to replicate.

Then you heat up a glue stick for a glue gun in a pot of boiling water until it's really soft. Squash it over the object to make a flat mold. Let it solidify and pry the object out (heavily textured stuff will stick, but things like plastic weapons or miniature pieces are totally okay to do this way) Then you can just shove greenstuff or other kinds of putty into the mold and press it tight to produce a simple cast of it, let it harden and pull out.

It's not amazing, but totally adequate for flat objects like windows. I know some people have also used the method to make 2 part molds for stuff like warhammer weapons and bits, but if you're going to do a lot of that I'd just get silicone and resin.

A litre of 2 part resin and a kilo of silicone is less than a warhammer kit, and you get enough material to cast up a looot of shit.
>>
>>47405525
>>47405470
I also forgot to add any useful advice for actually making some windows.

Easiest solution: Just cut a hole in the wall of the building, frame it with strips of balsa wood/matchsticks/popsicle stick/coffee stirrers shaved down to size, and use a piece of clear plastic from a blisterpack or random clamshell packaging to make the glass (you can draw on this with markers to fake stained glass windows) You can also set it behind some wire mesh or some fittings made with wire, if you want to pretty it up, otherwise just the typical wooden cross or grid looks perfectly serviceable. Details like a windowsill and some shutters also help things look more well made and believable.
>>
>>47405470
coffee stirrers and plastic from blister or old cd box
>>
>>47405525
I should probably learn how to cast with resin. I'm just on a tight budget, so I want to have to buy all the stuff I need to cast it. Just buying all the coffee sticks and foamboard is less expensive then the resin casting materials.
>>
>>47388459
Thanks, that looks useful.
>>
So a large styrofoam board which I carve some streets into and paint like stone should be fine as a game board, right?
>>
>>47405470
Welp, I ordered 2000 of them. That should last me at least well over a decade and I can use them for all kinds of other stuff.
>>
>>47410826
Given the right dimensions, sure. It would probably look better than a flat sheet with flagstones painted on. However it would be more difficult to transport.
>>
>>47412228
That's not a problem if I just keep it around the house for personal use.
>>
>>47405470
>good option for making windows out of cheap materials?
I've seen a guy use Lego pieces for windows. Looked pretty good actually. Not as cheap as glueing a frames of toothpicks down, but still pretty good considering the detail you get, including hinged parts.
>>
>>47368709
Do you have the mini? He's pretty big.
>>
>>47414038

For you.
>>
>>47415453

I'm CIA.
>>
>>47413198
I think I'll look around on ebay later for dollhouse parts with free shipping.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 960x720
It appears that Games Workshop might produce some plastic buildings for the Hobbit range.

>http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/210/685977.page
>>
>>47419569
Weren't those pics from FW open day?

Anyway if they bring back the Ruins of Osgiliath I'll be all over that.
>>
>>47414038
Yes. The other players call him Madicken because he carries an umbrella and spends a lot of time on rooftops.

The size doesn't really bother me since we houseruled the game to use area cover rather than TLOS after the first time someone made a LOTR dwarf warband and felt like a dick.
>>
>>47386812
>corner ruined building
I saw this thing unpainted a trillion times and just now realized you can make this mountain out of it...
>>
>>47419569
>>47421517
Honestly, GW buildings are inevitably going to be small, ridiculously expensive, and often lacking in detail to the point of feeling like theater backdrops rather than real houses or ruins.

If you have tons of money and no free time or artistic ability whatsoever, they're a good purchase, but otherwise anyone of middling skill and a tighter wallet is better off just buying modeling supplies and making their own terrain.
>>
>>47419118
here's a link to the guy doing it
https://mikeyc222.wordpress.com/tag/terrain/

>>47421724
I disagree. Compared to nearly anything else on the market, except for Table-Top-World GW's stuff was always very nicely detailed. And if you compare it to Table-Top-World or 4Grounds mdf buildings they are pretty competitively priced.
Escenorama is seems to be a pretty good middleground for price and quality in that regard, but I've heard mixed things about them about a Kickstarter they were involved in once.

I spent a lot of stuff on scenery I don't consider myself lacking in artistic ability, but considering the time that goes into making stuff even before you think about painting I think it's well worth it.
Especially if you consider that somebody else already made sure ideally that the pieces play well, which is something that takes testing and time too.
>>
>>47421724
>>47421785
>I disagree. Compared to nearly anything else on the market, except for Table-Top-World GW's stuff was always very nicely detailed. And if you compare it to Table-Top-World or 4Grounds mdf buildings they are pretty competitively priced.
Just to clarify I'm talking about the pre AoS/Hobbit stuff here.
>>
>>47421785
>>47421803

Alright, I'll amend my statement to say that most purpose-made wargaming terrain is overpriced and lacking in detail compared to regular model kits.

If you compare the osgiliath ruins or silly looking mdf buildings to something like Verlinden products it's like comparing old, old monopause GW plastics to Perry miniatures.

>Especially if you consider that somebody else already made sure ideally that the pieces play well.

I promise you that absolutely no consideration went into that in any way that translates into added costs from playtesting. GW terrain is really just "well it's just some standing ruined walls who's floors and interior vanished into thin air so what is there to test?"
>>
>>47421785
Thanks for the link, man.
>>
File: IMG_20150830_133341.jpg (1 MB, 2355x1927) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150830_133341.jpg
1 MB, 2355x1927
>>47421724
I dunno, man. I'm pretty fond of my Warhammer chapel and tower.
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.