[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Pussy Squad.jpg (76 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Pussy Squad.jpg
76 KB, 960x720
Hey, Anon. We heard you play DnD. Even though it's,like, nerdy but we wanted to ask you if you can teach us. It sounds like fun. Can you, pretty please? :)
>>
>>47322155

inb4 everyone bitches and rages about what a "girl gamer" is.

I prefer to not spread around the knowledge that I DM for the exact reason that this wouldn't happen. I only destroy shit.
>>
>>47322155
I don't play DnD, and the last time I did, it was back in highschool.
I can teach you Traveller, though.
>>
>>47322155
>party conflict happens session 1
>>
Who are you people? Where am I?
>>
>>47322155
You know I could actually do it, I have a knack for getting people into the scene, and into things in general
>>
>>47322290
The correct answer
>>
>>47322230
If we didn't have this weekly thread, the beta orbiters would reach dangerously high levels of salt. These threads allow them to work off their social ineptness in a closed environment, far from the burning gazes of their superiors.
>>
File: Robin-Williams.jpg (53 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
Robin-Williams.jpg
53 KB, 675x450
>>47322155
Oh lawd.
Middle Left a cute!
A CUTE!!!
>>
>>47322155
Stay in your board, /tv/
>>
>>47322155
Sure.
>>
>>47322155
The girl on the left looks familiar. I think that's Lizzy/LDShadowlady.
>>
>>47322155
The first step is to go to 4chan and shit post on the traditional games board. Only then will you achieve the right frame of mind for roleplaying.

Here are some suggested topics for guaranteed shitposting replies:

>elf slave wat do
>hey anon, could you teach us [picture of girls who may or may not be pretty] to play dnd?
>post a single line of greentext vaguely alluding to something you find personally distasteful.
>>
File: Solution to All Problems.jpg (79 KB, 831x445) Image search: [Google]
Solution to All Problems.jpg
79 KB, 831x445
I'd rather start them off on a one-page rpg. Dungeons and Dragons is a bit too much for first-timers.
>>
In my experience, while girls who get dragged to the table by their SO to play tend not to be very engaged, girls who independently approach the hobby because it seems cool are usually no better or worse than the average player

Couples who met through gaming also tend to be some of the best players, they tend to facilitate very strong inter-party character dynamics.
>>
D&D is Satanic. This is a Christian household, so we only play GURPS here.
>>
I did this once. It was actually a lot of fun. Even ended up scoring with one of the players afterwards. Admittedly, she was my girlfriend long before she got the group together...
>>
>>47322155
Immediately refuse. I've somehow been in this situation more than once and each time the chicks don't take the game seriously and just pretend like they're too good for this and make fun of the whole thing and whisper to each other. I aint even mad, you cunts are just wasting my time pretending you're better than spergs who like tabletop games so why don't you just go be sociopathic bores somewhere else.
>>
>>47322365
>trying to resurrect this dead meme

The joke died when people realized you were genuinely butthurt and that you actually thought there was anything wrong with playing D&D.
>>
>>47322391
10/10
>>
>>47322155
Hello.

Welcome to the website, best out of 10, rated for you.

Today, I'm gonna teach you how to customize, add-on custom eyes.

You can even edit, edit, edit, edit, edit, edit, edit, edit your own grown Miss 2.0, and never miss an opportunity, but don't forget to include great user feedback.

You sir, over there! Travel ready!

Look at those polygons.
Look at that detail that could be yours.
Are you ready to experience this unlimited experience?

Refresh, refresh your senses, but don't forget to not, not refresh the page.
Click anywhere over there to replace your order, from 1 to 100.

Do you remember your blood type, or do you have to ask someone?
This product is encrypted, DNA package style, high definition security.
No pixels!

The bigger - the better, it really matters.
Less miles away in your nearest dealership.
Free shipping on everything must go.

Click "Home" and don't forget to proxy.
Updates till 2060, 60, 6, 26. 2.0 credit data transfer, 3.0 not included on initial order of the above.

Located inside our shed terminal, drag the object to begin.
For slash, slash, slash, four, colon, dollar sign, dot, object.

Inherit variables auto box. Null bits, really works.
64 hours later, your Miss will miss you.
Browse her long-lasting energy options unavailable inches.

Warranty only included in options not including a warranty.

Look, look at your house and process the objects that don't fall into a sustainable binary.
There's a logic to the items that one in a million don't possess.

No meta-population has survived this atmosphere of compression, in a post-dotcom context, where to no avail ability.

Reform sub-numbers, fold her and keep your top desk organized beyond cognition.
Ever, ever since apple was fed to the female marketplace, the cloud has been offline, o, o, o, offline.

No, no, no, no higher-level programming language can unite baby Babel ascending.
Must be fourteen or either to buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, be right back.

My Miss 2.0.
>>
>>47322455
delete this
>>
File: dryad2.jpg (158 KB, 502x650) Image search: [Google]
dryad2.jpg
158 KB, 502x650
>>47322155

This happened to me a year and a half ago.

The campaign is still running. These chicks are so much fun to play with. They get really into roleplaying, and painting minis and drawing pictures of things from the game. I'm so happy to have them as friends! The sex is nice, too.
>>
>>47322155
Realistically, you'd end up sleeping with 3-5 of them out of five. If they're just strangers, go for it. If they're part of your existing social sphere you may have to be more judicious.
>>
I would probably spaggethi all over the floor.
>>
>>47322365
>>47322445

I'm actually responsible for that image. It was true back when D&D meant 3.5. But 5e is actually a fine system, just the thing for getting new players into the hobby.

You might argue that some other system is better, but I'm speaking from personal experience. I had a group of total newbs, I tried running 5e for them, and they got right into it. Now we have a solid group and a weekly game.
>>
>>47322511
>no higher-level programming language can unite baby Babel ascending
> ever since apple was fed to the female marketplace, the cloud has been offline
Those are some interesting references to the Bible.
Anyone can recognize the other ones?
>>
>>47322155
>Letting a girl play D&D

Nope, never again.
>>
>>47322523
Oh, come off it.
The sex is mediocre.
>>
>>47322332
I prefer the one next to her.
>>
>>47322597
> It was true back when D&D meant 3.5

No, it wasn't. It was used appropriately maybe once out of the hundreds of times it was posted, and the rest was a handful of chumps needing a meme to express just how frustrated they were at how popular 3.5 was.

Basically, it's a fagbanner. Admitting to being responsible for it is admitting to being one hell of a fag.
>>
>>47322705
The one on the left or the right? either way, I'm judging you
>>
>>47322425
And they say us D&D players will never score
>>
>>47322637
Meant for >>47322455.
>>
>>47322660
Storytime?
>>
>>47322739
That might've been true back in the 80s, but during my time at college I've known more D&D players in relationships than say, the campus comic book fans or people whose main hobby is video games.
>>
I had a chick player in one of my campaigns who asked if I wanted to fuck her one time, but I declined because I had a girlfriend at the time.

Also she was a real slut, and had a kid.
>>
>>47322813
You did the right choice.
>>
>>47322785

Yeah, tabletop is a more social activity than comics or vidya. And the more you practice your social skills, the more likely you are to get a girl.
>>
>>47322155
This happened to me with two girls at my college. One of them looked like a cross between Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johansson. The game they requested was Dark Ages Vampire. Being the dumbest I was, I did not know the same girl liked me.

And then they both transferred to different colleges just before I got the first session going. Turned out to be a fun campaign, but all guys.
>>
>>47322728
>Somebody asks a question on /tg/ that doesn't mention any incarnation of D&D
>HURRR JUST ROLL A PALLERDIN AND FIGHT THE DEMON LICH DURRR

Don't act like that shit wasn't the norm, Mr. Bottom-busted.
>>
>>47322155
>Sure thing, In pretty sure I have the 5e pdfs on my laptop still. It should be a good place to start for beginners!
Sidenote the girl with the pink hair and choker is a qt
>>
Ok. Who the fuck are you people though
>>
File: CIA.png (563 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
CIA.png
563 KB, 569x802
>>47322341
Never!
>>
>>47322332
>>47322735
Same, middle left is top tier qtp2t
>>
*sigh* alright, fuck.
Here are the books. Just read the parts about races, classes, and backstories. Come back to me in two days with characters and we'll move on to the next step. Ill be sitting down with each of you and talk to you about what you picked and we can go from there.
>>
>>47323268
While I do admire your commitment, FUCK OFF.
>>
the girl on the far right is the sexiest

pink hair - elf sorc
girl with bangs - half elf druid
middle - human paladin
middle right - half orc barb
far right - totally a ranger
>>
No! You girls will never understand the complexities of such a game, this isnt farmville!!

*Two hours later* *sobbing* oh god i am soo lonely
>>
>>47322433
That's what I expected to happen. I've seen that so many times. Why is it girls only take stupid shit seriously and mock what everyone else does then get mad when they're excluded?
>>
>>47322155
D n' D is for fucking nerds, shove off.
>>
This is actually the right place to ask, there are like quite a few girls I want to get with and I had the idea of inviting them ALLLL to dnd, which begs the question. How many of them before the game is broken?
>>
No, I'm fucking busy
>>
Surprisingly good thread
>>47322391
Kek
>>
>>47322348
>LDShadowlady.

Based off a quick image search, could be, yeah. Cute, too.
>>
>>47322289
>I never played with all-female party
Shame on you

>>47322728
>2016
>Still in denial about how awfully bad 3.5 is
>>
File: 1438389887496.png (143 KB, 672x434) Image search: [Google]
1438389887496.png
143 KB, 672x434
>>47322155
> pink hair
> my dick when
>>
>>47323365
Any party greater than 6 is going to be a nightmare to handle and it's already a strain at that point. If you can, separate them in to 2 (or whatever) groups of 3-4, 4 being the sweet spot.
>>
>>47323406
Pink hair is truly outrageous.
>>
>>47323365
Standard player party size? So 4-5? Seriously, last thing that matters is gender of your players, unlike what spergs and kissless virgins keep claiming.
>>
File: Hardness 100%.png (44 KB, 324x361) Image search: [Google]
Hardness 100%.png
44 KB, 324x361
>>47323406
>Pink hair
>Gothic touch to it
Can't fucking help it

>>47323436
I recommend making an effort to acquire some fucking taste
>>
I would fuck everybody, even the bearded lad with the red shirt passing by.
>>
Pink hair is mid tier, you guys are basic I bet your dicks would get hard from looking at a pumpkin with make up on
>>
>>47323365
Well, that sounds like it'll get awkward in a hurry. But on the bright side, you might have enough players for a rotating cast campaign.
>>
>>47323436
Truly Truly outrageous!
Yeah! Jem.
>>
File: db0312_5655820.jpg (263 KB, 1000x629) Image search: [Google]
db0312_5655820.jpg
263 KB, 1000x629
>>47323365
4. You need that Grave Robber, Vestal, Helion and Plague Doctor being played by someone.
>>
>>47322155
It's not D&D, actually.
But I've got something better for you.
>>
>>47323518
I get a chubby when I see that picture of the dog with stockings on.
>>
>>47323518
>basic
I guess you meant to write "beta". And ever heard this saying "Tastes are not something you discuss about"?
>>
>>47323438
>>47323530
I'm more social than your average sperg, I know I wont score with all of them but i'm facing the dilemma of how many of my male friends to invite, which im not trying to bang. Surely all males makes sense, but someone of them arent the best players and cant keep interest... the spots would be better suited for someone i could flirt with.. this comment makes no sense
>>
>>47323547
What is it, Anon?
>>
>>47323571
Nah, I think the whole Alpha/Beta thing is super wonky and lame. The people who think in terms of that are lending themselves more towards archetypal "femininity"

And no I haven't heard the saying its a terrible one to bring up on an online forum that is essentially all about discussing taste
>>
>have you lassies read any fantasy recently?
>have you at least watched Lord of the Rings?
>good, me neither!
>>
>>47323633
It exists to cut pointless shit running in circles where two spergs arguing how own personal taste of one sperg is better than personal taste of the other sperg.
But I guess if you are a sperg yourself, you live for the argument
>>
>>47323622
Whole range of games, depending on what exactly the term "D&D" means to them and whether they want the "real deal", so to speak, or just something fun.
>>
>>47323603
Look, we don't know your social circles, so we can't make that call for you. 4-5 is the party size that works best - less and you won't get very much interaction in the party, more and it becomes a nightmare to keep track of.

Even one relatively experienced player is enough to help you keep a pack of newbies on track. And why would you even invite the ones who you actually enjoy playing with.

Or, as I've said above, start a rotating cast campaign and invite whoever is available this week.
>>
>>47323648

>yfw they've read all of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson
>yfw they've never watched anything Tolkien related, but binge watch GoT and Doctor Who
>>
>>47323388
Must be her and her youtube Minecraft friends.
>>
File: What difference does it make.jpg (25 KB, 499x299) Image search: [Google]
What difference does it make.jpg
25 KB, 499x299
>>47323767
... and?
>>
>>47322155
Sure ladies, but I only have one question for you.

Dare you enter my magical realm?
>>
>>47323767
So, magical school adventure of the week with social shenanigans in between?
Count me in.
>>
>>47323703
Id take arguments over ad hominids any day. one shows the willingness to stand for something and engage with others on the topic (with the ultimate goal of making the world a better place through conflict), whereas the other shows an inability to do so and just tries to buy an individual time to run and flee from what could be a very beneficial confrontation.

that said, its not like any of us are going to be banging these exact females anytime soon lol
>>
>>47322597
>200+ pages of rules and fluff
>several subsystems
>30min minium for character gen

Lets be fair here 5e has a plenty high barrier to entry.
>>
>>47323838

Whatever you make of it.

I personally don't care.
>>
>>47323864
Arguments as in "two or more people arguing with each other" and not "points of reason used to strenghten your point"
>>
>>47323847
>"What's a magical realm?"
>>
>>47323918
Even in chaos, there is harmony
>>
>>47323886
>5e
>high barrier to entry

Boy ho boy... As compared with what? 5e as for now is literally baby's first RPG that isn't some kind of lite version or condensed rules
>>
>>47322155
Alright, it'll be easy.

Roll three regular dice six times and record the numbers.
>>
File: 2.png (186 KB, 298x423) Image search: [Google]
2.png
186 KB, 298x423
>>47323935
You are doing it on purpose, don't you?
>>
>>47323968
No I mean to say, what might appear to just be "people arguing with each other" could very well be "people using points of reason to strengthen their points who happen to be slightly misguided in terms of temperament"
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>
>>47323947
It really is for someone who has never seen a ttrpg before.

I am not trying to shit on 5e but I would not use it as a gateway game.
>>
>>47323886
I'm sorry, 30 minutes?
>who's the bravest?
>roll stats
>pick race from list
>pick class from list
>roll trait, ideal, bond and flaw
>what's your name?
>DONE.
>>
>>47322155
Eh, at worst I'll have a That Group story to tell. Let's go.
>>
>>47322155
Dare you enter my magical realm?
>>
>>47322391
>D&D is Satanic. This is a Christian household, so we only play GURPS here.

Dogs in the Vineyard.
>>
>>47324050
And I repeat my question - it's a shit entry game as compared with what?

I fucking hate D&D as a whole and even I won't deny 5e being actually decent starting material for absolutely green people
>>
>>47324085
Fuck off, Mormon. Shouldn't you be busy writting Bible fanfiction and getting 2nd wife?
>>
>>47324047
I never noticed how cute you were, Anon. Maybe we should have coffee together later on?
>>
>>47324142

Not the guy you were replying to, but I'd personally use Basic Fantasy RPG.

It's free, and a very nice simplification of BECMI/1st Edition AD&D.
>>
File: Prostagma.jpg (6 KB, 180x159) Image search: [Google]
Prostagma.jpg
6 KB, 180x159
>>47323767
>disrespecting Percy Jackson

while i have always held firm the belief that the series would be 10 time better if it wasn't written form a first person perspective, im gonna have to disagree with you.

and shit man, have you tried to keep up with Percy Jackson?

>main greek series 5 books long
>roman/greek series 5 books long
>assorted short books that he references in main series
>egyptian series 3 books long
>egyptian/greek shorts in their own book binding it to one universe
>new norse series
>new greek story featuring human!Apollo

it is difficult anon
>>
>>47324074
>how do stats work anon?
>what are all the classes anon?
>how do the races act like?

Yes with 3-4 people who have never seen this stuff before it will take at least 30. Stop kidding yourself.
>>
>>47324181
Then I will quote myself, to drive the point
>5e as for now is literally baby's first RPG that isn't some kind of lite version or condensed rules
>isn't some kind of lite version or condensed rules
>>
>>47324193
addendum

>new norse series that take place in the same universe, giving us 4 different pantheons
>main character is a Chase einherji
>>
>>47324196
>Being shit GM
>Assuming everyone else is too
Different anon, but if you are literally handling noobs by giving them character sheet and book right before character creation, you are a fucking moron.
You make first a meeting with people, explaining them what the fuck they are even going to play, what are the basic rules of such games and what not. If you are not making such crash course for players and then giving them time to think about their characters so they've got a semi-coherent idea what they even want to play (and if) upon first game session, you are a fucking awful GM and should be ashamed of yourself.
>>
>>47322365
Literally just run B/X or Swords & Wizardry or something.
>>
>>47324193

To be honest, I haven't bothered reading them. YA fiction doesn't appeal most of the time, and I have trouble not being bored by it.

I'm also under the impression that it's not very faithful to the actual myths, since Hades is for some reason a villain (and for some reason Percy is Poseidon's son, and not Zeus's).
>>
>>47324142
Personally I would use everyone is john, fiasco, or psi*run because they are all short sweet and give a simple concept for players to focus on for roleplay.
>>
>>47324212

Then you'd consider the original D&D to be a rules lite or condensed version of D&D then?
>>
>>47324269
Hades wasn't a villan, he was just the antagonist for that book because he was rused by Luke who was working for Kronos, who is the really bad guy.

what is wrong with percy being Poseidon's son and not Zeus?
>>
>>47322155

No, I just have a passing interest in it...and your request sounds like a trap.
>>
>>47324269
Hades is shown somewhat as a victim, later in the series
>>
>>47324196
>how do stats work anon?
Bigger is better, 8-12 is average

>what are all the classes anon?
people good at fighting
people who cast spells
people who are tricky
what would you like to be?

>>how do the races act like?
However you like!

>Yes with 3-4 people who have never seen this stuff before it will take at least 30. Stop kidding yourself.

For the first in line, maybe, if they're completely oblivious to swords and sorcery and you have to explain everything. It gets faster when the second player's turn.
>>
>>47323767
So?
That still makes them more equipped for playing tabletop RPG than anything else. Literally the worst players I EVER had - and I'm GMing for 16 years - was bunch of people "too good" to have any contact with popculture, rendering them so fucking genre blind it was just annoying to play with them. Because they didn't even know basic storytelling quips and everything always felt completely abstract to them. There is NOTHING worse than people who have absolutely zero exposure to anything at all, because there is no way to make a story working for them - they will always be alienated by the content OR I will end up tempted to pull some cliche storm on them and they won't even realise.
>>
>>47324319

It seems weird that Poseidon would name his own son similarly to one of Zeus's sons (Perseus).

Poseidon and Zeus aren't known for being chums.
>>
>>47324348
Percy's mother named him after Perseus because he was "one of the few ancient greek heroes who had a happy ending"
or so I recall
>>
>>47324281
Pretty good pick, aside maybe Fiasco. Now at least I know.

>>47324292
Jesus fucking Christ, we are talking specifically about current, modern ttrpgs. 0D&D is what? 40 years old now?
Do you even understand how lite versions are made? You first need a game and then fucking trim it down, so how the fuck game that wasn't trimmed down can even qualify?!
>>
>>47324343

>16 years

Are you me? I'm a little astonished anyone could be so ignorant of pop culture that they don't know basic cliches and storytelling techniques.
>>
>>47324371
this is correct
>>
>>47324378

You do realize that OSR is a thing right? Just because something is 40 years old doesn't mean it's shit, either.

But, I guess we can cancel Doctor Who, Star Wars, and Star Trek then.
>>
>>47322155
Yeah ok, meet you all at my place on Thursday, come around at 20. I'll hand you a few premade character sheets, tell me what kind of stuff you want your character to be able to do.
>>
File: dare you enter.jpg (5 KB, 200x149) Image search: [Google]
dare you enter.jpg
5 KB, 200x149
>>47323931
>>
If you need a session 0 for planning with players it isnt >30min. If somebody is uncertain if they want to try ttrpgs they dont want to spend a session 0 fucking around with prep.
>>
>>47324379
Oh, it's simple.
>So what films do you watch?
>Films? Why would I watch films? They are boring
>Then what books do you read?
>Haha, reading is for X!
>Some games maybe?
>Meh, I don't have that much time
>So what's your hobby then?
>Nah, I don't know
>Then what are you doing with your free time? After all, you've got roughtly 5 hours per day of free time
>Blank stare instead of reply
Multiply that by 4 and you've got a party of people that are absolutely unable to handle any story at all.
I mean what the fuck people are doing with their free time if they don't study/take extra shift during it? Sitting for few hours straight and watching ceiling/wall?
>>
>>47324155

Not the guy you were responding too, but whats your problem man?
>>
>>47322155
I am intimidated by all these women looking at me. FUCK just let me exist and leave me alone.
>>
>>47322155
I am not ashamed of GM'ing or playing rpgs in general, so it's a plausible scenario (i.e. girls I know asking to GM for them). Actually, I was the cool kid in school, because I played rpgs and almost everyone were intrigued by it (hooked up few friends actually, to board games and rpgs). Zero bullying, no negative stereotypes.

Poland if you must know.
>>
>>47324378
>aside maybe fiasco

I agree this one is a bit more to swallow but it can work if everyone is familar with that style of movie.
>>
>>47324425
>There are idiots who actually believe that
Yes, because people who aren't certain if they want to try ttrpgs are more likely to start playing a game they don't understand, with dozens of questions and shitload of issues at hand. That will totally convince them.
Also, every person on this planet has an attention span of a hyperactive 5 year old.
>>
>>47324434

Damn. That's really awful. I can't imagine anyone living like that, but apparently my imagination is much smaller than I thought, because such people have existed at some point.

Y'know what's really bad? I bet the meanest, most pathetic, idiotic caveman had more hobbies and enjoyed life more than those fucks.
>>
>>47324378
Swords & Wizardry is literally "take Basic D&D from back in the day, organize it a bit better, and put it all in one book." It's not trimmed at all.

This is part of the Old School Renaissance (OSR), a movement in RPGs to try and bring back old school ways of playing. It's popular enough that about 2% of tabletop RPG discussion (1/50th) online is about it. Swords & Wizardry is one of the most popular OSR games.
>>
>>47324434
>Sitting for few hours straight and watching ceiling/wall?
I know people who legitimately do that. Though they're old farts. The young people equvalent would probably be watching reality shows.
>>
File: imout.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
imout.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>people here acting like the pink haired girl isn't going to have a bunch of issues

Shit even /fit/ is more socially adept than you guys. Remember that they are closer to /r9k/ with big legs than normal people.
>>
>>47324435
Meming for Dogs in the Vineyard, a "western" RPG that recycles the same fucking scenario for every single game as a rule and is pretty much "It's cool to be Mormon: The Game" bullshit.
Plus the game by itself is half-baked
>>
File: DnDBasic.jpg (146 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
DnDBasic.jpg
146 KB, 600x777
>>47323947
Moldvay Basic, the most commonly cloned old school edition (Labyrinth Lord, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Basic Fantasy, ACKS, Dark Dungeons, etc.) comes in at a grand total of 128 pages for everything. And that's including the Expert Set, which you don't need to start out with, trimming things down to 64 pages. In contrast, 5e has over 900 pages of core material (PHB, DMG and MM). Don't get me wrong, I think 5e took definite strides to be a decent entry-level game, but it's hardly rules-light.
>>
>>47324434

They watch tv, or they could be active and spend it outside.
>>
>>47324484
>implying I give a shit
2nd from left is where it's at
>>
>>47324471
Actually, S&W is OD&D, though if we're talking S&W Core, it's the bits of OD&D that Basic was based on (LBB + Greyhawk), so it's understandable that the line between the two can get a bit blurry.
>>
>>47324434
>I mean what the fuck people are doing with their free time if they don't study/take extra shift during it? Sitting for few hours straight and watching ceiling/wall?
Sleeping, gossiping, watching tv and posting screenshots of screenshots of facebook posts
>>
>>47324475
But they didn't. There was literally no way to communicate with them about anything, because neither popculture, not culture not even their supposed jobs/studies were interesting for them.
I ended up giving them asignments in form of "for next campaign, go watch X" and giving them some old-time classic to see, so they could get at least some grasp of what the game is going to be about.
I ended up dropping them as GM, since nobody was having any fun out of it, but they kept on coming out of habit. Or because it was more interesting than watching walls.
>>
>>47324522

I'd have dropped them too. Sounds infuriating. Hopefully you've got a better group now.
>>
>>47324499
>>47324517
Anons, the TV is out of the list. And they weren't active too. Nor going to clubs for party. Nor having any addictions. 3 of them didn't have any social media account.
Literally nothing.
>>
>>47324504
Yeah 2nd from the left is the best.

Pink hair is a rape allegation in the making.
>>
>>47324434
I feel pretty good knowing that "facebook and watching TV" is now considered unacceptable socially as a hobby, but TTRPGs aren't.
>>
>>47324511
I thought Complete pulled even more of Basic in. In Complete, they don't even have race-as-class anymore.
>>
>>47324460
Not sure why you are so unable to believe that dnd isnt the best place to introduce people to roleplaying.

If it takes 3 books to run a system it isnt a good gateway.
>>
>>47324488

That is absolutely terrible. I'm going to be honest im mormon, and thats actually pretty offensive (the game I mean), just looking at the wiki entry it seems inaccurate and appears designed as a caricature ideal for making fun of us more than anything.
>>
>>47324434
I once had a player get invited to my game by his brother (who was a regular player) to help him "come out of his shell."

At the beginning of the game, when we asked him how much familiarity he had with the fantasy genre, he explained that he doesn't "engage with fiction."

As in, not just genre fiction - he didn't understand the point of "wasting time on made up stories." He didn't read novels, he didn't watch movies, he didn't play video games, he literally hadn't consumed a fictional narrative since finishing High School and that was only because they make you read novels for your English classes. In between his job as an assistant professor at the local community college all he did was watch documentaries and read about history. This man literally did not think fiction was worthwhile on a conceptual level.

He spent most of the session disinterested and confused, and then never came back. His brother apologized and I haven't seen him since, but apparently to this day he'll frequently discuss that he doesn't "get" why people spend their time writing and consuming fiction when they can educate themselves on human histories.

I honestly can't even begin to imagine living like that. I don't want to sound condescending, but he was probably the most boring person I've ever met.
>>
>>47324564
>If it takes 3 books to run a system
And about 10s to explain how2roll
>>
>>47324555
I won't repeat myself yet again, so: >>47324539
>>
>>47322700
>The sex is mediocre.

I don't think he even came. At least not inside anyone.
>>
>>47324584
Well I am dumbfounded.
>>
>>47324539

How? That just doesn't add up, they had to be lying or trying to hide their power levels from each other or something.
>>
>>47324599
>>47324604
That's exactly the reason why I can't wrap my own head the fuck they were doing with free time. I mean they weren't neither very productive workers nor apt students, so they had few hours per day that they weren't working/studying nor sleeping and had to do just SOMETHING with that time.
I mean I would go insane if I was so inactive.
>>
>>47324624

...can you find them? Ask them? I must know now.
>>
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>47324558
None of the Swords & Wizardry versions have race-as-class, which is a Basic invention (though White Box, like brass tacks OD&D, might as well have RAC, as each demihuman only has access to a single class). But if anything, Complete is pulling closer to AD&D, or more accurately, it's based on OD&D with all the supplements, which is what AD&D is derived from.
>>
>>47324581
>200+ pages and 10 seconds to teach rolling

Whew looks like you just checkmated me anon
>>
>>47324641
I met them in late '11, cut out all connections by spring of '12. Still wonder from time to time what they were doing. I had different people in my groups and they were all always having SOME activity that was eating their time, be it even sitting all day on 9gag.
And that four had absolutely nothing, to the point where it was between annoying and simply scary.
>>
File: BOEF.jpg (44 KB, 306x407) Image search: [Google]
BOEF.jpg
44 KB, 306x407
>>47322155

Just wait a second. I have the rulebook right here.
>>
>>47324661
They don't need to know everything for a first session, only how to make X checks.
>>
The girls i know who are into games are way more into roleplaying and stuff. While the guys prefer the stabbing.

They usually write about 3 pages of backstory.
>>
>>47322155

>tfw this is literally what my weekend is going to be

I'd rather be teaching them eclipse phase but I guess starting them off on the most basic bitch system possible is a good thing.
>>
File: Blown away.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Blown away.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>47324661
>Implying new people need to know anything else than how to roll
>Implying all lite games aren't just the most basic rules about rolls and nothing else
>Implying its a norm for new people to actually sit and read the whole rulebook before first game
>>
>>47323432
I once ran a party of 9 and it was a blast. Tricky as heel cause visits to town ran for HOURS but after I got the hang of it DM'ing wasn't too terrible. I just upscale enemies and numbers.

Watching them battle 40 zombies and the avatar of their master, a powerful Mage, was one of the best things I've ever seen
>>
File: nymp.jpg (63 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nymp.jpg
63 KB, 600x600
>>47324684

Also this.
>>
>>47323465
He was making a Jem and the holograms reference.

>>47322155
I'm actually running a roll20 group that's all women right now. It's going pretty good actually, everyone is having fun and we haven't had anyone fall out yet.
>>
>>47324710
I've got a question here. Were you actually making rolls for 40 zombies? Because I've got a chance to have a party of 6 (and potentially upgrade it to 7 with boyfriend of one of the newcoming chicks), but I'm afraid of combat, where I will have to roll for all those enemies and it would take ages.
Any advices?
>>
>>47323886
Nigga, what? The "meat" of the rules of 5e are all between pages 173 and 205 of the PHB. Everything else is character specific, like spells, races, and feats.
>>
>>47324758

Split the zombies into groups, roll for the group, multiply by number of zombies
>>
One thing I think D&D gets right for a gateway system is giving players a fairly obvious and straightforward set of actions their characters can perform (via abilities and skills). Have you ever had a player get confused when they didn't know they can do something? Or be afraid to speak up when they want to do something unusual?
>>
>>47324822
That would kill the players on spot, given the damage/hp relation. And not just with zombies, but with pretty much everything.
So I guess it's impossible to pull in systems where dying horribly is a thing after being hit once or twice.
>>
>>47324851
Yes and yes.
But it came from the players itself, not the system. 5e is pretty much idiot-proof, but not shyness-proof.
>>
do all irl female campaigns exist? Or simply a legend?
>>
>>47324692
>>47324709
>dnd is a great starter game!
>no you dont actually need to know anything about the system to play it! Just roll and have the DM fiat everything!

Stop moving the fucking goalposts faggots.
>>
>>47325012

All hambeast wicca coven player campaigns, yes.
>>
>>47324820
>Everything else is character specific, like spells, races, and feats.

Yeah you know shit that players need to know to actually play the game.
>>
>>47325020
>Moving goalposts
The fuck it has to do with anything?
Fact - 5e is simplistic as fuck
Fact - it takes no time to explain how rolls are made
Fact - nobody is using D&D world anyway and everyone runs with their own homebrews
Fact - new players don't need to know subrule to the situational rule of the optional rule for using bardic magic, especially when not having a bard in the party
>>
>>47325049
People like you are the reason average person associates GURPS with unplayable clusterfuck of rules that spans over dozens of books.
Because you are an autist unable to comprehend that not all rules are needed and sizable chunk of the book is purely optional.
>>
>>47324957

How is it different then each zombie attacking individually? I mean its the same number if attacks essentially isn't it?
>>
>>47325049
Unless they're the DM, they only need to know their spells, and their race, and their feats. Once a player decides they want to play a half-orc barbarian they instantly don't have to read any other race, class, any spells, etc.
>>
>>47322365
Pathfinder - based on the crunchiest version of D&D - was my first RPG and I had no problems getting into it. This meme needs to die.
>>
>>47324984
The system may or may not attempt to help alleviate the problem. Not saying D&D is the only one that does it, of course.

>>47325049
Yes, for their own class. It's a couple of abilities. Spellcasters are a little trickier.
>>
>>47325012

Actually yes.
Im going to be running one coming up soon.

Gaming group of lesbians, basically. Mostly vidya, but there's a bunch of board gaming types, and a few who want to D&D.
So im running a game.
>>
>>47322155
>that guy in the back moving at incredibly hihg speeds
>>
>>47325051
The entire point I have been trying to make is simply that 5e is not a good gateway system. There are far slimmer systems to teach new players what rpgs are all about. I feel like the people I am arguing with are confusing this with me saying that the system is shit.

I dont disagree with your points but they dont change the fact that 5e is a poor way to introduce people to the hobby.
>>
File: 1460949133188.gif (11 KB, 152x152) Image search: [Google]
1460949133188.gif
11 KB, 152x152
>>47325106
Good fucking luck anon
>>
>>47324957
Split the groups in such a way as each player has one zombie from each group (one attack roll, compare to everyone's AC, one damage roll for those who were hit) or use the zombie's ablatively (only a couple can get at someone at a time, killing one reduces their numbers but the amount attacking remains the same until it drops below an appropriate point) or as an environmental hazard (don't get pulled into the rotting mosh pit or you're screwed).
>>
>>47322322
This, pretty much.
Just filter all threads on /tg/ with "Hey, Anon" or emoticons in the opening. Threads that begin with greentext would help with the rest of the garbage too.
>>
>>47325106
you're all actually chicks right? Not "girls".

I'm not trying to be an ass but usually if that many chicks are into vidya and majority male dominated hobbies in one room, something is very very suspicious.
>>
File: 1463391361512.jpg (119 KB, 716x520) Image search: [Google]
1463391361512.jpg
119 KB, 716x520
>>47323279
>tfw this is a great way to make sure you never play a game
>>
>>47325134

Honestly the only problem is gonna be that im super out of practice at DMing.
They're a good bunch!

Also Im effectively dating one of them so Im sure that wont cause any drama ever at all right.

>>47325166
It's a group of dykes specifically drawn together cos we're all nerds and couldnt find enough nerds to fill a friend group normally without the group.
But yes, legit vagina owners.
>>
>>47324957
How about making another zombie hit for every 2 the attack goes over AC? And treat the group's zombies as HP - every hit kills one, or every x HP of damage. No need to track how much the "top" zombie in a group has left.

A bit crude, but it should work.
>>
>write up a few fun settings that allow player agency and some cool characters to interact with
>have them decide which one sounds the best
>plan a day
>build characters at the first meet
Worst thing that could happen is that they don't like it, and that's not that bad.
>>
>>47325166
Not really. They just seek out other women so they don't have to deal with anyone sperging about eww girls.
>>
>>47325087
Not really. Each enemy attacking individually means a clear limit of attackers vs single target, because, well, space. Usually more than 5 means a clusterfuck. Players can dodge, parry and what not.
But most importantly, they can just run away.

And there is another thing. What is more dangerous? 5d6, so the range goes from 5 to 30 or 5*d6, where damage is multiplication of 5? By simple multiplication of the singular roll for damage, you can greatly increase the damage output of the enemy, while rolling for each attacker you have much greater chances for normal distribution. Rolling 5 same outcomes is highly unlikely, so the final damage of singular enemies would be (in theory) lower than multiplied damage can be. Given how for d6 the "average" outcome is 3.5, you are pretty much fucked in case of mass rolls.
>>
>>47325130
Anon, the original point was about NOT using a slimmed-down game. Sure, there is this one-page lite version of Savage, but that's LITE.
>>
>>47322760
Wouldn't be very entertaining I'm afraid. They tend to be more interested in the hanging out part of gaming than actually playing. Not an awful thing, but my game night is my game night and I like my stuff to run smoothly and I want everyone to be engaged is what's happening. I've got any other day out of the month for hanging out.
>>
File: schneiderdan__130807143845.png (2 MB, 1338x1398) Image search: [Google]
schneiderdan__130807143845.png
2 MB, 1338x1398
>>47323847
>>
>>47322155
>DnD
We're playing MAID.
You guys wanna include the optional sex themes or not include them?
>>
>>47322155
Could, but won't.

Here, let's play a better system. You guys like Vampires?
>>
>>47325219
Slimmer systems (aka less fucking rules for a complete game)=/=LITE(hacking off everything but the basics)

Jesus how hard is it to understand.
>>
>>47324434
They're obviously fucking perverts and sluts who masturbate to porn every free moment. You should have had your fill before disappearing from their lives.
>>
>>47324484
This.
Pink hair absolutely always means "I'm an egotistical piece of shit and there's nothing I like more than forming an armada of beta orbiters"
Also from my (limited) hands-on experience they're unhygenic.
Same goes for pixie cuts, both of which are cancelled out if the girl is obese in which case she's a Tumblrina.

Do I have to make a flow chart for this shit?
>>
File: 1428099995319.jpg (130 KB, 488x750) Image search: [Google]
1428099995319.jpg
130 KB, 488x750
>>47325106
>>47325182

>tfw forever alone lesbian
>I just want to play a game where I can be a barbarian orc wielding two maces
>no group in my area available

:(
>>
>>47325219
>hacking off everything but the basics has nothing to do with slimmer systems
lol, what a dolt
>>
>>47325296
I promise this isnt a meme, because we really are in
L O N D O N
>>
>>47325323
>Calling people dolts
>Not understanding the original point
Oh the irony
>>
>>47324484
Issues are great, it's like more holes for fucking.
>>
>>47325341
>L O N D O N
what the fuck is this London bullshit?

>>47325359
Agreed. Dress the pink haired one up in a school girl outfit, spank her, and make her call you Daddy.
>>
File: 102313_1.1.jpg (75 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
102313_1.1.jpg
75 KB, 900x600
>>47325290
>>
>>47325356
>hey, if my starting assumption is they're wrong, I don't have to know what I'm talking about at all!
>>
File: Group Attacks.png (25 KB, 829x490) Image search: [Google]
Group Attacks.png
25 KB, 829x490
>>47325197
>>47325138

Just do this.
>>
>>47325323
refers to >>47325261
>>
>>47325341
london? But I'm in burgerland...
>>
>>47325383
Fuck I screwed up the picture, Mike takes 12 from three. The rest is fine though.
>>
>>47325383
Different anon, but this won't work in the system I'm running. As already pointed, group combat is pointless in games where 2-4 hits are enough to kill your PC.
>>
>>47322322
disengaged omega male here who needs no companionship, and lives his NEET life with confidence.

I'd play with them, so long as they showed up each session.
>>
>>47324484
Is that gif some kind of statement about your age?
>>
>>47325369
It's a fit meme I think originally.

>>47325397
Ah well then, fraid I cant help you.
If you ever DO move to London you're welcome to join our merry band.
>>
>>47325190
maybe that's just irl.

Online, I joined an all girls vidya game chat as a "girl" for shits and giggles and lol and behold, they too were all "girls". Bunch of dude voices both neckbeard and fag sounding crying about how men suck while pretending to be girls. It was the weirdest rp, I tell ya.
>>
>>47322433
Taking the game seriously leads to far too much autistic ""roleplaying"" ""immersion"" narrative story worldbuilding fluff.

Some of us are here to roll dice, anon.
>>
>>47325461

Yeeeah that's somewhat harder to pull off in real life.
>>
>>47322155
Me on the right
>>
>>47322813
You burn the toll, you play the coal.

Wait.

I mean, you fuck the used goods, then you're stuck being no good.
>>
>>47323310
[s4s] here.
is thos the dand funpost containment fred?
this is bury nice thred
>>
>>47325490
As long as you're trying to apply creative and intuitive solutions to problems then you can RP however you want imo. But I can't stress creative solutions enough, it's where /tg/ shines over /v/ because /v/ is almost always limited to what the programmers and game designers intended.
>>
File: 1451521390761.jpg (65 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1451521390761.jpg
65 KB, 300x300
>>47322155
No, I would end up tearing my hair out.

>start up new DnD group
>invite gurrlll gaymer
>chooses fighter
>has not legitimately RP'd a single time in 10+ meetups so far
>only speaks when spoken to
>just goes to watching everyone else until we fight or until DM tells her to do a skill check
>hasn't even picked an alignment yet
>implying I want a full party of these
>>
>>47325369
Hell, I'll wear a pink wig so that you'll do that to me.
>>
>>47325738
What are you, a faggot?
>>
>>47325745
Do you really have to ask on this site?
>>
>>47322155
Sure. Let's do 5th edition, since it's the newest.
Basic things first.
Each character has a set of attributes.
STR: How hard you hit, and that sort of stuff
DEX: Coordination and agility. Governs ranged weapons, like bows or ninja stars.
CON: How tough you are. Allows you to resist poison and disease better, too.
INT: Smartness and wizard magic.
WIS: Being perceptive, and divine magic.
CHA: Personal magnetism and how well you get along with people. Not Looks. Used for some types of magic.

Race:
Some races get different bonuses to different attributes, and some other minor changes, like how elves meditate instead of sleep, so they're aware.
They come with some rp stereotypes, but that's easy to work either with or around.

Class:
Your job, which gives you skills and abilities.

Barbarian: Your Red Sonja and Conan types

Bard: Charming and magical performer. Think justin bieber if he did actual literal magic.

Cleric: Healer, and slayer of the undead.

Fighter: Think Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones.

Paladin: Mix of cleric and fighter basically.

Ranger: Bear grylls with a kitty friend. Kitty eats people.

Druid: Magical hippie.

Rogue: Think Catwoman.

Sorcerer: Jack Sparrow with magic.

Wizard: Hacks reality with leet skills

Warlock: Made deal with Not!Satan, got awesome kamehameha powers.

Monk: Think a boxer, except asian and magical.

You guys create your characters and play those roles, while I narrate what happens and play the Non Player Characters, and control the monsters.

Boom, that's it, easy isn't it.
>>
The ones on the left look like they play LoZ and Kingdom Hearts. So they'd probably be down for D&D.
>>
>>47325771
Thought I might get lucky.
>>
>>47322155
>playing D&D with old hags.
>>
>>47322155
Honestly I'd rather GM for a whole party of gals who have never done an RPG before than try to integrate them to a pre-existing group.

Just think about it; the chance to host a campaign for a crew of newbies who haven't got a clue what to do. They won't be able to kill enemies easily by metagaming since they don't know anything about the enemy stats. It I make an innocent child actually be a horrible demon in disguise they won't see it coming from a mile away. Maybe I'll finally get to host a "big damn heros" campaign where everyone plays it straight. Or they could just rip everything to shreds in a horrific blood-rage. Who knows.

If they get into a fight, let them have a non-lethal duel in game. If they keep being catty, it will just be a test of GMing strength. If they keep it up and they keep fighting even after being told of by the GM it will probably start getting backhanded, which will lend itself to roleplaying. Suddenly the RPG just becomes an in character venting session of therapeutic goblin-kicking and backstabbing
>>
>>47325774
>Cleric:
>Healer
DELET THIS!

>Your Red Sonja
>imblyign anyone save a handful of fa/tg/uys and /co/tards has a clue who this is.
I'd almost suggest mentioning Xena instead, but she's perhaps not "wild" enough.
>>
>>47322155
>Pretty please
Has anyone here ever actually talked to a girl though? Yeesh
>>
File: flusterated.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
flusterated.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
>>47325925
>Maybe I'll finally get to host a "big damn heros" campaign where everyone plays it straight.
This. Most of the campaigns I run with my group are played be edgelords, and when I'm not DMing I'm the only generally moral character.
>>
File: Anti-Edge.png (110 KB, 1109x492) Image search: [Google]
Anti-Edge.png
110 KB, 1109x492
>>47326168
>>47325925
Maybe I've gone around the bend, but in the past few games I've been in I have played someone who wants to do good. Willingly follow the plot and stuff.
>>
I ran a game (well, a couple games) for an all-female group for about 3 years. They were mostly pretty good. Had one player that gravitated toward over-drama and mary sueisms, but the other 3 were excellent players.
>>
File: Callisto.jpg (106 KB, 1000x790) Image search: [Google]
Callisto.jpg
106 KB, 1000x790
>>47326022
You can't say "slut" in front of the ladies. "healer" close second.

And Xena is absolutely not a barbarian more like, dual-class ranger/monk. The blonde bitch is pure monk. The other blonde bitch is barbarian actually.
>>
>>47326285
>slut
kek

Nah, I just meant in the sense that they're always pigeonholed into that when they're so much more versatile.
>>
>>47324577
He gets it, he's just an asshole who hates fun.
People who say "I can't understand why people do X." Normally just don't like it, and thus cannot bring themselves to believe others do.
He probably also goes on about how "How could you NOT like X?!"
>>
>>47325802
Nah, a girl unfortunately. Guy on guy is my fetish too.
>>
>>47325093
>was my first RPG
Mine too infact my friend sold it to us as.
>It's fine it was made so that you could get into it in 30 minutes
Needless to say that our first campaign basically meant that we were half way though book two when:
>And I drink my potion and I
>hang on there anon that'll be a standard action and you prevoke an AoO
>What the fuck this is bullshit! We had enemies pulling this shit last the last encounter why the fuck can't I do it now that one more hit and I'm in bleed out.
There was also this moment
>What the fuck do you mean you don't add DEX to damage for range attacks? Then what's the point in this piece of shit crossbow?!

Needless to say that after a couple of month of this we finally managed to know the rules off by heart.
>>
>>47326495
*about to be in bleed out
Sorry it's 3am right now in the land of the frogs.
>>
>>47326467
>girl unfortunately
>implying that wasn't what I was hoping for
Assuming actual chick, not this mental illness that is so prevalent these days.
>>
File: needless.png (374 KB, 699x492) Image search: [Google]
needless.png
374 KB, 699x492
>>47326519
>>
File: 1389160065294.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1389160065294.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>47326540
>>
>>47326519
>mental illness that is so prevalent these days
Just because you're hearing more about it doesn't mean it's happening more.
>>
>>47324577
He was right, though.
On a more serious note, I believe wargames would better suit him.
>>
>>47326651
Never said the fact it's happening is mental illness.
>>
File: areyouserious.gif (744 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
areyouserious.gif
744 KB, 245x300
>>47322445
>The joke died when people realized you were genuinely butthurt and that you actually thought there was anything wrong with playing D&D.
Who the fuck are you and what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>47324193
The books based on a campaign of Scion run for pre-teens?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.