[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS General - /gurpsgen/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: GURPS General.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS General.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Neck Snap Edition

This thread's challenge: come up with a shitload of one-sentence-description NPCs
>>
Shirtless prodigy of Savate, Bare-Knuckle Boxing, and La Canne de Combat seeks a real challenge from the party's best warrior.
>>
Disasters - Meltdown and Fallout
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jf049c
>>
Slightly pudgy, honest-faced and likeable stagecoach driver/trucker/pilot who's actually a genius smuggler, taking advantage of how doughy and inoffensive he looks.
>>
>>47317070
Awesome, thank you, Anon!

One sentence NPC: a fruit seller who takes haggling way too seriously.
>>
>>47315219
>Neck Snap Edition
Okay, I have a question on how gurspgen handles falls from kicks. Is it just a change to prone, face up? Or is it like knockdown and stunning?

I handle it like the latter, mostly because I feel it is most realistic. Although playesting it a little bit it seems to overly handicap those who kick.

Any one got any comment?
>>
>>47317840
You're welcome. I'm not the original uploader. I found that link on 7chan and wanted to share the love with my fellow GURPS fiends.
>>
I'm doing a high-tech game and one of the players asked me if revolver speedloader can be used with all revolvers that use the same cartridge. I guess not?
>>
>>47318417
User was banned for this post.
>>
>>47318579
I doubt all revolvers have the same cylinder radius.
>>
>>47318579
Some speedloaders are compatible with multiple revolvers, but most are not. Revolvers from the same manufacturer have a better chance of working with a given speedloader, too.
>>
>>47318699
So if my players are travelling the States 35 years after nuclear war then it would be a lottery to find a fitting speedloader?

Guess the same problem applies to moonclips.
>>
>>47318751
Just add an extra second or two to reloader with the wrong speedloader. That'd still be leagues ahead of reloading one by one. Or make them need an easy fast-draw (ammo) roll.
Or just give up and make any speedloader work with anything, who cares, really.
>>
>>47317913
I just treat it like a prone position change; I wouldn't do a roll vs stunning unless you get a major wound/affliction/some other call from the rules
>>
I am trying to help teach some new players about GURPS. I told them the setting information about a week ago, said to write a (less than one page) backstory, so I could make a (mostly finished) character sheet before the first session (a session zero) which is this Tuesday. I said to ask me questions if they don't understand something. I'm trying to put together an introductory scenario, and I still haven't gotten a word out of anyone.
I'm like stressing out hardcore that these guys are either
A) going to say I'm taking this too seriously and they don't want to do homework to play a game
B) just going to simply flake
C) going to write something at the last last minute and then ask why I don't have anything planned.
>>
>>47319483
So knockdown and stunned is at -7 to defense if I'm doing the math right (-4 from stun, -3 from posture)
>>
File: HonkeyVille1.jpg (202 KB, 891x742) Image search: [Google]
HonkeyVille1.jpg
202 KB, 891x742
Besides Cities, what other supplements have rules/modules for making towns/settings for exploring and questing in?

Pyramid works too, if anyone can remember the issue #
>>
File: Cheatsheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Cheatsheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47320577
See attached
>>
So /gurpsgen/ how do I design a fight that is at least 30 turns long but is still engaging? Assume the players can manage their time correctly so that it doesn't take 3 hours?

In a medieval/renaissance flavor if that makes a difference time
>>
>>47323488
>difference time instead of just difference
Dumb phone.
>>
File: Blossom Queen.jpg (165 KB, 1000x827) Image search: [Google]
Blossom Queen.jpg
165 KB, 1000x827
So this is gonna sound a little crazy, but have you guys ever thought about statting up civilizations, companies, armies etc. as GURPS characters like how Fate Core does it to massively abstract away things like nitty-gritty mass combat, politics, economics, etc. and just run with it?

I realize there are supplements specifically for some of these things, but there's so much overhead involved and they mostly have pretty poor integration with each other, I've been thinking about doing this kind of abstraction for a while.

For example:
King's Army: Invade! 14
Finance! 17
Diplomacy! 12

Rebels: Fight Back! 12
Sow Insurrection! 14
Spymasters! 15

Then when the players want to know what the hell's going on, roll a few over the course of weeks/months. Let them provide bonuses, or facilitate actions, by going out and doing things relevant to the task/goal.
>>
>>47323488
You could use the "The Last Gasp" rules from Pyramid #44 to make everyone stand around catching their breath a lot.
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
>>47319560
Don't stress. Stress will kill your game quicker than a bumpy start.
Maybe just message them, and see how they're going? People have their lives pop up and fuck over their plans all the time.

If all else fails, use your first session to make characters, and use templates as much as possible. What sort of genre are you playing?
>>
>>47325726
It is a TL4 Dungeon Fantasy/Age of Sail/Magicky mish-mash.
My hope is to have backgrounds early enough to veto/ratify them, then have character sheets ready for session 0 so that they can veto/ratify them. My hope is to have most, but probably can't have all, done before the session 0 so that there is enough time to do a simple combat to get people used to the rules.
>>
>>47325846
Is that you Wes?
>>
>>47323599

Sounds like a decent way of doing it. I think there is a supplement that does it like that, but I haven't really delved into that side of things.
>>
>>47325891
Nope.
>>
>>47325967
You're probably thinking of Boardrooms & Curia; groups are given (possibly multiple) Types (military, religious, merchant, governing, etc.), a budget, and skills/skill categories. While the resulting statblock is more of a measurement as to how the organization can assist its members (i.e. The PCs), it shouldn't be too hard to throw the groups against each other more directly. The only big hole is that it only works for purposeful and cohesive organizations; while you can write up the city's governing body or the king's army, the city or kingdom as a whole probably won't take to these rules so easily.

I do have to question why though. If the PCs have a stake in the outcome or are participating in a struggle directly, you either want more detail and not leave it to a single abstract dice roll, or give the PCs a linchpin role in the fight (i.e. if the party fails to complete their objective, the entire battle is lost). If the PCs neither care nor are participating, why not just decide the outcome instead of using dice? The only reason I see to use heavily abstracted rolls like this is if I were doing a dynamic sandbox campaign where there's the possibility of random shit coming out of left field and I needed to quickly simulate a ton of stuff happening in the background (e.g. The dwarves caliphate in the other side of the world finally conquered its neighbors; is this the beginning of a huge wave of conquest that will eventually affect the party? Only the dice know!).
>>
>>47326703
>The only reason I see to use heavily abstracted rolls like this is if I were doing a dynamic sandbox campaign where there's the possibility of random shit coming out of left field and I needed to quickly simulate a ton of stuff happening in the background (e.g. The dwarves caliphate in the other side of the world finally conquered its neighbors; is this the beginning of a huge wave of conquest that will eventually affect the party? Only the dice know!).
This is exactly why I was thinking of doing this with abstract skill ratings. Do you see any pitfalls or potential complications to look out for with this method?
>>
>>47327457
Well props to you then, because that sounds awesome. As for pitfalls, nothing really comes to mind, just don't be afraid to make executive decisions that overrule the dice every now and then for the sake of a fun game. Best of luck to you Anon!
>>
File: kekisimus maximus.jpg (72 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
kekisimus maximus.jpg
72 KB, 596x628
>>47320613
>Rape national forest
>>
>>47320613
>or they're tall and imposing, steely men in heavy coats that have a fetish for suddenly hammering through walls to roar at escaping mortals
Is this a Mr. X reference?
>>
>>47320613
i like honkeyville what did you use to make it?
>>
I have a question for the numbercrunch gods here.

What's a good -15% modifier/combination of modifiers for an Altered Time Rate + Increased Speed combination? It was originally costing 3 FP to activate for each, but losing 6 FP to activate one thing for a minute's pretty hefty.
>>
>>47332599
Some sort of Trigger and/or Requires Skill/Attribute Roll
>>
>>47323599

I started writing up some stuff for it after I read Boardroom and Curia and was dissatisfied with how little the stats mattered. I had been hoping for a SWN-like faction system. I'm working right now but I can post some notes/samples/whatever later to compare if that'd help.

>>47326703
>>47327457

Systems like this aren't without precedent. Stars Without Number has an excellent "faction turn" system where you take turns with all of the major powers in an area of space, which evolves the sector and provides situations for the PCs to either profit from or circumvent. My only problem with SWN's faction system is that it doesn't scale very well to larger areas (because it was never intended to).
>>
>>47328023
>>47332855
Thanks guys!
>>
So, how do I stat a character whose eyes have been replaced for mechanical eyes that work well, but occasionally malfunction and require daily maintenance?
Should I stat it as an advantage, disadvantage or equipment?
>>
>>47333375
Both.

Blind (mitigation, robot eyes)

Then stat up robot eyes as a gadget with cannot be removed, Requires maintenance, etc. By default they would just grant you normal vision since they're a mitigation like glasses, but you can give them enhanced Per and different vision modes, telescopic vision, etc.
>>
>>47333414
Thank you
>>
>>47333414
Oh and give them a Malf. stat like guns have for bad failures, I don't think it's under the unreliable limitation but there's one that does that.
>>
>>47332599
Pact (Disciplines of Faith or Vow) can also be used for things like chi or psi abilities that require strict lifestyles to maintain the necessary focus. There's also Maximum Duration from Powers, Trigger (Injury), Preparation Required/Weakened Without Preparation, and maybe even uses per day (possibly with reloading available, depending on the power's source; a chronopack that needs new and possibly expensive batteries after each use makes sense. Gadget may work too).
>>
File: _20160519_235612.jpg (155 KB, 792x743) Image search: [Google]
_20160519_235612.jpg
155 KB, 792x743
>>47333375
Like so:
Next post will show the maintenance modifier.
>>
File: _20160519_235803.jpg (52 KB, 876x262) Image search: [Google]
_20160519_235803.jpg
52 KB, 876x262
>>47333375
>>47333824
Maintenance modifier shown here. This is all straight out of UltraTech.
>>
>>47331586
I'm interested as well.
>>
>For each step by which you are closer than this, apply +1 to the roll, while for each step by which you are more distant, apply -1. For instance, to hear normal conversation at 8 yards would require a roll at -3.

This and the table following it doesn't make any sense to me. If to hear a normal conversation with no penalties, you need to be within one yard, that would mean a step is some weird fraction, like 2,7 yards, which sounds like bullshit

Can someone please clarify this shit to me? How much is a "step"?
>>
>>47335212
A step on the speed/range table, not a physical "step".
>>
>>47335313
I know. But that is a big ass variable. All of my players chars have a step of 1 yard, since all of their their characters have a sub 10 Move. Does that mean his or her hearing is variable as well?
>>
>>47335354
I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is you're actually asking, as you keep quoting "move" and physical steps, which have absolutely no relation to hearing distance. Can you phrase your question differently?
>>
>>47335399
What did you mean speed/range table? You mean the Hearing Distance table?
>>
>>47335476
They literally just mean "steps" of the table.

The example they give:
For each step by which you are closer than this, apply +1 to the roll, while for each step by which you are more distant, apply -1. For instance, to hear normal conversation at 8 yards would require a roll at -3.

Table goes:
Normal conversation 1
Light traffic 2
Loud conversation 4
Noisy office 8

Three steps of the table = -3 for normal conversation.

Is this what you were looking for?
>>
>>47335212
>>47335354

I think there is some language confusion. When anon said 'a step on the speed/range table' he meant to change the row of the table you are reading ('a step' in English sometimes means 'an increment').

So if the table entries are 2-3-5-7-etc. then going from 2 to 3 is one step, from 2 to 5 is two steps. So if the default range is 5, being at range 2 would be 'two steps closer' because range 2 is two steps on the table away from 5.
>>
>>47335569
Yes. Thanks

>>47335540
I see
>>
File: Step.png (119 KB, 899x679) Image search: [Google]
Step.png
119 KB, 899x679
>>47335569

Illustration, although I think you've got it now.
>>
Bumping, I wrote a review of swashbucklers.
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/05/retro-review-swashbucklers.html
>>
New Pyramid. Another Thaumatology one.
>>
>>47337904
Thanks, anon.
>>
Gazing listlessly at nothing over a glass of grog, [npc name here] lets rip a meaty fart tinged with sorrow and three day old baked beans.
>>
>>47337904
Thanks!
>>
>>47315219
4' 6" ex-child soldier turned harsh but fair taxman.
>>
[Npc name here] mutters with his mates over a mug of moonshine, smearing his sweaty, bushy brow with a swatch of his late mother's tablecloth.
>>
Behind the counter, [npc name here] neglected her stocking duties in favor of daydreaming about which toy she might use to stroke her pussy after work.
>>
Does the roll for Grappling have a bonus if you're at the opponent's back?
>>
Why in the core books, the images change the grid all the time between a horizontal one and a vertical one
>>
>>47338906

Not inherently. The likely advantages for you, the grappler, are either no opposed Active Defense roll from your victim or a penalized opposed Active Defense roll from your victim.

If you have the luxury of time, feel free to use the Evaluate maneuver (+1 to +3 bonus to hit depending on how many seconds you take to evaluate), All-Out Attack Determined maneuver (+4 to hit at the cost of no possible defense from you on the next turn only), and/or Telegraphic Attack (+4 to hit and your opponent defends at +2...which is not an issue if your opponent doesn't get to defend in the first place or less of an issue if your opponent could only defend at a penalty to begin with).
>>
>>47340105
What about a situation where the enemy is at the PC's flank and he can see the enemy moving behind her. Does he get an active defense roll?
>>
>>47340279

Yes. Typically, they can still Dodge at -2 and only Parry/Block if their arms are very flexible and/or their weapon/shield can reach the rear hexes.
>>
>>47340279

Here's the entry in question from Page 391 of Campaigns.

"Defending Against
Attacks from the Back

Against an attack that comes from
your back hex, you cannot defend at all
unless you have Peripheral Vision
(which lets you defend at -2) or 360°
Vision (which lets you defend at no
penalty).

Even if you have one of those
advantages, you have an extra -2 to
parry an attack from behind, and cannot
block at all, unless your weapon or
shield arm has the Extra-Flexible
enhancement or you have the Double-
Jointed advantage."

Since she knows her attacker is moving there, i'd consider it a runaround attack (also described on the same page). The same physical limitations on parrying/blocking would still exist, though.
>>
>>47340279

You can still burn a Fatigue Point for a Feverish Defense and i'm fairly certain the defender can "Retreat" forward as well.
>>
File: 1463066174682.png (25 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
1463066174682.png
25 KB, 1936x1936
>>47340404
>>47340367
>>47340279
>>47340279
Consider facing
-2 form the side/back hexes
>>
>>47339491
Maybe to show that there is no official way to align the grid and you should just go with whatever is more convenient?
>>
>>47340688
Doesn't seem like it, because the way front, sides and back are designated wouldn't work with a vertical grid.
>>
File: fuck your sense of alignment.png (25 KB, 232x239) Image search: [Google]
fuck your sense of alignment.png
25 KB, 232x239
>>47340727
>>47340688
>>
File: 20160520014824_1.jpg (84 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160520014824_1.jpg
84 KB, 1920x1080
bump
>>
File: HBqUDBR.jpg (2 MB, 1676x2200) Image search: [Google]
HBqUDBR.jpg
2 MB, 1676x2200
>>47341672
Motherfucker; always bump with CONTENT

New chapter of my game starting soon. Pretty sure I'm gonna be cribbing enemy builds from hyper light drifter.

Yay or nay?
>>
File: giphy.gif (276 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
276 KB, 500x333
>>47341736
fuck, wrong image
>>
>>47337904

Awesome, thanks.
>>
>>47341672
Is that a screenshot of uplink?

>>47341736
Can you translate your post please? I don't understand.
>>
>>47341794
God FUCKING damn
This game is so pretty. Good on you anon
>>
File: 90424115.jpg (40 KB, 637x358) Image search: [Google]
90424115.jpg
40 KB, 637x358
>>47341858
>>47341794
>>47341736

>Can you translate your post please? I don't understand.
I'm gonna be cribbing enemy designs and combat styles from the game, for use in my GURPS campaign.
I was very taken with the warlock birds that do the chargeup lazer blast, the lumbering deformed winged beasts, and the various other quirky bits.

It's super cute as shit huh? Quirky yet grim?
>>
>>47337904

Neat - definitely stronger than the last issue for After the End, which was pretty dull.

The Metal spells were kinda funny though in how many times they stressed that you should nerf it if you don't like the effect on the economy, and adding a silly "until dispelled" to all the permanent durations.

The new Alchemical items were neat - Corpse Powder is a plot hook/character ambition right there.

The distillation of brains is a very useful one, even if it takes an exceedingly skilled alchemist to create quickly enough for it to matter on most adventure timescales.

Abydos remains Best City.
>>
>>47340727
I don't see how it's related.
Your "front" is the edge between your hex and hex you are looking at. You can spin hexes all the way around like this >>47340939 it doesn't really change anything.
>>
>>47343015
some people arent smart

Hey, did you guys know you can generate gurps compatible hex maps using http://donjon.bin.sh/ ?
>>
>>47340939
How did you that hex grid on Ps?
>>
>>47344461
threw it into google docs->drawer online, rotated it 15 degrees, then printscreened that, cropped it in paint.net, saved it

for some reason, google draw has no crop, and for some reason, paint.net has no rotate on centre...
>>
File: Untitled.png (77 KB, 1200x559) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
77 KB, 1200x559
>>47344558
>paint.net has no rotate on centre...
Um, what?
>>
File: vaEV980[1].png (9 KB, 308x37) Image search: [Google]
vaEV980[1].png
9 KB, 308x37
Weird thought on one of the abilities in Divine Favor.

Can't you just take the 100 point version of regen with max duration of 30 seconds, and divine power modifier (total -85%, but bounded to minima -80%), and now have something significantly better for the exact same price?
>>
>>47345857
Yes. Maximum Duration limitation is fucking OP for combat-related abilities.
>>
>>47345857
Replying to myself.
Furthermore, now you have an advantage that heals 30 hp over 30 seconds, and can be used every five minutes (technically, every five minutes and 30 seconds), for 0 FP, compared to vanilla Heal which costs 40 character points, costs FP to use, and becomes prohibitively penalized to use more than a few times a day on the same target.
>>
>>47345857
It's a matter of tone/appropriateness; a priest waving his hand and a follower returning form the verge of death over ten minutes seems more like a traditional miracle than unkillable dude for 30 seconds.
>>
>>47345950
Replying to myself again.

Hurr durr, of course, this power only works on yourself... but I guess you could pair it with faith healing to absorb anyone else's terrible injury and then regen it away in 30 seconds.
>>
File: gandalf.png (35 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
gandalf.png
35 KB, 128x128
>>47345392
huh

I am a derp
>>
>>47345992
Affects Others, Powers p.107
+50% per person you can affect by touching
>>
>>47346135
Sure, but now it's not brokenly cheap. Better though, then faith healing + ridiculous regen.
>>
Derp question time

I can shoot an innate attack (tight beam burn, for example)
I can shoot off a blast, or I can charge up and fire off MORE blast. How do I enhancement/limitation?
>>
>>47346190
More blast as in a more powerful blast or a larger amount of blasts per second?
>>
>>47346190
Sounds like straight up alternative abilities.
There was something about partial limitations (like, your ability have Takes Extra Time only when you use at higher level and/or with additional enhancements) but I don't remember where it was.
>>
So, I was experimenting with a player with his mage char and he has the explosive fireball spell. After he cast it once, I just saw how freaking weak the radius of that explosion is, so instead of dividing the damage by the triple of the distance, I homebrewed as "the damage is divided by distance in yards the other parties are from the center of the explosion to a max of 5 yards, after which, no damage is dealt". Do you guys have opinions on it?
>>
File: 1453432405417.gif (11 KB, 534x89) Image search: [Google]
1453432405417.gif
11 KB, 534x89
What's the most gruesome or otherwise fucked-up rule (or other except from official material) you can find?

Hard mode: none of the fetish shit in Bio-Tech.
>>
>>47346568
Sounds reasonable, but there are actually modifiers that do the same, and you'd be best to check them to make sure you're not allowing a significant point break.
>>
>>47346954
Where are said modifiers?
>>
File: Explosive Fireball Alternatives.png (716 KB, 1896x1406) Image search: [Google]
Explosive Fireball Alternatives.png
716 KB, 1896x1406
>>47347196
Here, have a thing I just threw together for you.
>>
>>47346612

Spaceships 7 has rules for powering your ship by burning the souls of slaves.
>>
Just for novelty's sake: This anon literally just emigrated to Gurpsgen from /pfg/. I've been telling myself I like both games just fine, and /pfg/ has more throughput, but frankly Gurps is less grief. Sayonara pathfinder.
>>
>>47349476
Because we all are united by the love for GURPS and Sorcery.
>>
>>47347591

The Battlefield Magic pyramid had an alternate rule for adding enhancements, that didn't make it quite as expensive.
>>
File: 1276551515971.jpg (125 KB, 589x1100) Image search: [Google]
1276551515971.jpg
125 KB, 589x1100
>>47346535
Ah! Fucking right, totally forgot about that stuff

Thanks anon!

Player is doing a semi-heroic archer build, with lightning bow stuff on top. Needed to differentiate between a shocking zap and a devestating lightning bolt
>>
>>47349476
Welcome, brother.
>>
>>47349551
>Sorcery
RPM or bust!
>>
>>47350433

Do you even syntactic magic, bro?
>>
>>47350450
For what purpose? I actually didn't read it yet
>>
File: rogue-1-big.jpg (79 KB, 500x1052) Image search: [Google]
rogue-1-big.jpg
79 KB, 500x1052
>>47350433
Rpm is fun, let's batman wizards be batman, but keeps them from overshadowing. All the upkeep, half the gamebreaking

>>47350450
Fun coming from a WoD background, or for a more hands off, cinematic, rules light gurps game

>>47350611
Why, for the glory of SATAN of course!
>>
>>47350450
You'll cowards don't even commune with spirits and negotiate for help.
>>
>>47347591
Wait. I thought modifiers only applied to advantages, no skills, or spells in this case.
>>
>>47352541
Check the two boxes on the top right: Thaumatology has rules for applying modifiers to spells.
>>
>>47337823
On the jobs table, "i" does indeed mean a month's income: -1i means you have to pay what you should have earned that month. When two results are separated by a slash — e.g. -1i/-2i — the second result only occurs if the roll was a natural 18 meaning you REALLY screwed up.
>>
>>47353444
Ah, thanks. It also seems like monetary amounts are a bit different in GURPS 3E, I feel like I read starting cash for what is probably TL4 or 5 is $1,000, so that means that all the money mentioned should be doubled or quintupled probably.
>>
>>47353536
From what I remember, they are. I recall a table in an old 3e Characters book that separated cash types by genre/TL; there was a Medieval equipment table, and Old West table, and a Modern table. IIRC, you started with a couple thousand "dollars" in Medieval campaigns, but each "dollar" was a copper farthing or something like that and prices reflected that. Really makes me appreciate 4e's mostly-static GURP$ currency, even if there are issues and inconsistencies with it.

I'll try and find that book.
>>
I'm new to tabletop in general (Done some one shots as a player, ran a premade one shot for a couple friends) and was thinking of doing a cyberpunk game in Gurps
I have the books, but my question for Gurps gen is where do you get your stories? Is there a process you go through when it comes to making a campaign? Are there premades you find and alter at times? Any suggestions?
>>
>>47315219
I'm running in a bit of a pickle. For a coming superhero gaming, one of my player want to play a telekinetic psi. The problem is, the only ability I found on the book was the telekinetic ST, that allows you to lift and I assume punch people with TK. He would like to be able to fly and create simple TK constructs such as shields, bridges and stuff. How do i go about making it happen?

Google searching the topic brought me to the so confusing pyramid forum a thousand times for a lot of debate and no answers.
>>
>>47353744
>where do you get your stories?
From inside my head. I don't think gurps have anything akin to APs from PF, so you have to come up with your own.
>>
>>47353805
There's a few...I know there's is one called 'Lair of the Fat Man' that deals with spionage like the 1970s movies.
>>
>>47353785

Simple TK constructs such as shields can be made with force field DR for instance.

There's a few supplements in GURPS (psionic powers?) that deals exclusively with making psi powers. Overall, you just take a normal power and slap psi-10% on it though.

It helps if you think about what you want to accomplish mechanically first.
>>
>>47353744
GURPS really doesn't have very many premades that I'm aware of; I can count the number of published adventure on my hands, and I can't think of *any* premade campaigns or adventurer paths. There are a couple tried-and-true methods for finding inspiration.
•Dive into the genre. Planning on running a cyberpunk game? (Re)Watch Blade Runner and Robocop and GitS, read some Gibson, play System Shock II, etc. Get some inspiration from existing works; remember that it's not theft if you take a bit form EVERYONE.
•Do something different. After you dive deep into cyberpunk, come up for air and watch/read/play something different. You may find out some really cool ideas just waiting for an intrepid GM to put a cyberpunk twist on it. How would you translate Seven Samurai into a cyberpunk setting? Or a 007 plotline? Go after other topics from a cyberpunk perspective and see what stands out.
•Steal e.g. grab a Shadownrun adventure (if it exists) and convert to GURPS.

>>47353785
Flight is either the Flight advantage with the Telekinetic or Psi limitation or using TK to lift yourself. TK constructs should be a combination of Snatcher (Creation +100%; Flawed -10%) and Modular Abilities (Only mindless Allies with Minion and Summonable, -50%); the former lets you create objects (he'll want Large Items, +50%, and multiple levels of More Weight to do things like bridges) that cannot be passed off as authentic — think the Green Lantern's constructs; they work fine, but immediately recognizable as not a normal item, making forgery impossible — and the latter lets you on-the-fly stat up new creatures that you can summon/create.

To cut down on costs, the two cheaper abilities should be bought as Alternate Abilities (an example/explanation of AAs can be found on page 61 of the Basic Set under Alternative Attacks). If MA came out to 20 points, TK out to 40, and Snatcher ended at 50 points, the character's abilities would end up costing 50+ 40/5 + 20/5 = 62 points total.
>>
>>47353963
It sounds like he wants to do comicbook stuff, which gets notoriously expensive and at times complex in GURPS as the applications are so dang broad. Such characters are either going to have a *huge* list of abilities, which requires a sizable points budget (though Alternate Abilities helps mitigate this) on top of being a pain to write out; have a singe hyper-expensive Modular Ability to let them change their advantage as need be, which is even more expensive and has no AA to lessen the cost (though there are no holes in the abilities; you can always have the right power for the situation); or constantly be doing Power Stunts to change one power into another, which is risky and a drain on resources.

Then again, if you want to do a supers game, high point values should be assumed. The Kinetic from GURPS: Supers (p. 46) would be a good base; maybe replace the amplified ST with Snatcher. If the constructs aren't ambulatory and are just static items, that simplifies things significantly.
>>
So /gurpsgen/ do you actually buy any GURPS books? I feel like it's a hard to buy all the GURPS books you'd use just due to the sheer number of them. I personally bought the basic set and download free pdfs for anything else I need, but would like to buy more just to have nice physical copies. Post pictures of your GURPS book collections.
>>
>>47354707
My only GURPS book is 3E Martial Arts I bought a crap ton of time ago.
>>
File: IMG_1250.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1250.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>47354707
>Physical copies
Good fucking luck. I downsample and buy ones I end up using as PDFs to support SJG, but it's almost impossible to find physical copies of anything besides the Basic Set and a handful of recent niche books they have yet to sell out of. Thaumatology and Martial Arts are two I've been hunting down for ages, but unless I want to shell out over $300 to some fucking scalper on Amazon, I ain't getting them anytime soon.

Anyway, here's my collection after about half a decade of being a GURPSfag, and I'm pretty sure I got Powers from a resale shop (I know I got the 3e book there).
Please ignore the Tephra book; it's an old playtest edition from a con years ago. It wasn't exactly great then, but I've understand it's gotten absolutely horrid now.
>>
File: 20160520_211059.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160520_211059.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>47354707
Getting physical books is difficult
>>
>>47354707

I've been meaning to buy a few. At the very least Characters and Campaigns to use at the table. I personally much prefer to use PDFs, even at the table, but some people prefer books. Anything but the core set is hard to come by though.
>>
>>47354707
I can count on the one hand how many sessions of GURPS I've played in. Still downloading all the books all the time, though. Fun reads.
>>
File: GURPS books + GM screen.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
GURPS books + GM screen.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>47354707
>>47354892
>>47354893
>>47354938
Here's my collection.

I also have virtually all the GURPS pyramids + books in PDF form, at least for 4E (a little 3E stuff for reference material).
>>
File: Custom GURPS Screen 1.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Custom GURPS Screen 1.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>47355211
Also, my custom GM screen. Because the official screen looks like dog shit and has a dildo gun in one panel.

Sorry for image sizes.
>>
>>47355211
I admire you
>>
File: Custom GURPS screen 2.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Custom GURPS screen 2.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>47355236
>>
File: Custom GURPS screen 3.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Custom GURPS screen 3.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>47355239
I also have GURPS Dragons around here, somewhere. Really cool book.
>>
File: Custom GURPS screen 4.jpg (4 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
Custom GURPS screen 4.jpg
4 MB, 2988x5312
>>47355268
And finally, my crappy custom campaign map I made to insert on the GM screen.
>>
File: Tofiel political unfinished.png (6 MB, 1650x1275) Image search: [Google]
Tofiel political unfinished.png
6 MB, 1650x1275
>>47355290
Here's the .png of the map, for posterity. It's supposed to be a really simple political map.
>>
>>47355323
(and yes I shamelessly stole a couple names)
>>
File: Books.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
Books.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
>>47354707
Here's my collection. Save for maybe Martial arts, it have all the essentials for good medieval fantasy, and some more.
>>
>>47355211
Goddamn I'm jealous.
>>
>>47355239
>>47355485
If it makes you feel any better I'm definitely not anywhere close to wealthy, I just purchased most of them during their respective releases.

Sucks that SJG isn't really doing physical stuff anymore, I hope they figure some way to make the RPG side of their business thrive again.
>>
>>47354893
>>47354938
Damn I never looked at the GURPS books and saw how few of them are being sold physical. I guess I could pick up Horror and maybe Low Tech in physical.
>>
>>47355236
Where did you get the folder or what search terms can I use to find one like it?
>>
>>47356183
This isn't the exact model I got, but it's very close and these supposedly have very good quality.

http://hammerdog.com/twgs/

Come in vertical, horizontal, as well as "mini" (whatever that means).
>>
File: 1462835119435.jpg (44 KB, 488x410) Image search: [Google]
1462835119435.jpg
44 KB, 488x410
>>47331586
>>47333920
Just a screengrab from Google search. I think for town maps or something like that.

So all you guys use is Cities and B&C to track nation statistics?
>>
>>47355536

Ditto. I have a lot of GURPS books, but only because I paid reasonable prices for them upon each individual release (or close to them).
>>
>>47356254
Damn that looks expensive, especially considering that you can get a three-panel equivalent for less than $6 before shipping if you just buy a dang menu cover.
>>
>>47358396
Yeah, it's definitely more cost effective to build one yourself and it's not even difficult. I'm a lazy consumer whore, though.
>>
>>47359020
At least you're honest about it.

I miss using mine. Since i went roll20, I haven't used it.
>>
>>47360314
I'm in a similar situation. Digital interfaces have their perks, though.
>>
>>47360359
True dat
>ctrl+f "neck snap"
>lock tokens/room description text dump
>"what are we doing again?" Point up in the chat " OH! Okay, thanks :)
>>
>>47360443
Hell yeah.

Also,

>No recap necessary, everyone just rereads what happened or what they missed

>nobody ever loses my dice in their chair/under the table

YES
>>
Does hitting the face, heart, skull, etc, gives you any bonus damage? I can't really find anything on it
>>
>>47360602
Heart is part of a vitals attack : x3 wounding multiplier

Face is vulnerable to corrosive damage : 2x (? I think I'm remembering right?)

Skull has an extra 2dr from bone density and shape, but x4 wounding

Did you read the campaigns book wounding/damage section at all?
>>
>>47360634
I did, but since it said corrosive, I didn't think it applied to an arrow shot
>>
>>47360674
You're correct. Corrosion gets the bonus, but an arrow (impaling) would just do a normal X2 wounding.

Note, however, the face, eye, and skull are all headshots and thus, any hit there calls for a roll versus knockdown and stunning.
>>
>>47360709
Thanks for the help man. These books are very extensive, and sometimes I have trouble finding everything.
>>
File: Fencing weapons.png (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Fencing weapons.png
1 MB, 2000x2000
>>47360806
You are not alone
>>
File: shotguns.png (2 MB, 2104x1344) Image search: [Google]
shotguns.png
2 MB, 2104x1344
>>47360863
>doesn't include Martial Art options or Low Tech weapons
What is this pain, such as ours, we gurps players?
>>
>>47360980
It is the pain of a system that's constantly being improved on rather that one that holds up old mechanics as holy cows and refuses to change or improve upon them. I'd much rather have a dynamic and constantly improving system that's not afraid to try new things nor revisit and improve upon old mechanics than have a static system that never has any radical new ideas or changes, even if that means I have to hunt down those new or improved ideas across multiple volumes.

Looking at you, Pathfinder.
>>
Am I enforcing this technique right? My player has a archer with the Dual-Weapon Attack (Bow) technique. He spent one turn readying the bow, then fast-drew an arrow to be ready to shoot. Now he wants to ready another arrow. I'm saying that he needs to ready another arrow, but not the bow. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>47361342
Remember all this whining when dnd4 was released? Because most people prefer to bitch forever about their old shit instead of trying something new.
>>
File: nigga wat.png (50 KB, 336x368) Image search: [Google]
nigga wat.png
50 KB, 336x368
>>47361488
youre both technically wrong?
>>
>>47361766
Martial Arts allow the bow in
>>
File: you still dun goofed.png (102 KB, 421x500) Image search: [Google]
you still dun goofed.png
102 KB, 421x500
>>47361813
example of the fast draw is in the book, p103

Multiple Fast-Draw
A successful Fast-Draw roll lets you ready a stowed weapon instantly, without taking a Ready maneuver; see Fast-Draw (p. B194). Realistically, this takes some time. Skill imposes a limit on how many weapons you can draw and still act.

It’s possible to Fast-Draw multiple, identical weapons at once for the purpose of Rapid Strike with Thrown Weapons (pp. 120-121) or Dual-Weapon Attack (Bow). The weapons must weigh less than 1 lb. and be worn in a way that lets you reach them all with one hand. Make a single roll at -2 per weapon. For the sake of future Fast-Draw rolls, this counts as one previous attempt per weapon. For instance, Fast-Draw (Knife) would be at -8 for four daggers at once, and an ensuing fastDraw (Sword) roll to draw a rapier with that hand would have -8 for four previous FastDraws. Success and failure have their usual effects in all cases. Any failure ends your turn; no further Fast-Draw attempts are possible. Critical failure means you also drop the weapon – or all the weapons, if drawing multiple weapons simultaneously!

Heroic Archers and Weapon Masters may halve all multiple Fast-Draw penalties for weapons covered by their advantage. If both advantages apply, divide by 4 (round in the warrior’s favor).
>>
>>47361942
>>47361488
Youre ruling is okay so far; the bow is good to go, but he only has one arrow nocked

to put the second arrow in place, he SHOULD fast draw both at the same time, at -2
>>
>>47361997
Oh, I see. Thanks!
>>
File: 7a0.jpg (842 KB, 1500x800) Image search: [Google]
7a0.jpg
842 KB, 1500x800
>>47362082
Yeah, the thing to always remember with exception case techniques it be sure on the HOW its being achieved.

Dual weapon usually means a pair of one handers in two hands
This is a case of hitting two dudes because the weapon fires two projectiles. So you just have to logistically put those two projectiles in the weapon to enable it. Once you know youre doing that, its damned simple to facilitate.
>>
I heard GURPS is full of good sourcebooks for historical info, do you have links for antiquity things? Maybe a "complete" book about Greece, or Rome? I don't need mechanics, only knowledge distilled, for a noob GM friend.
>>
>>47364153
Through a superficial search from my collection, I found one about Imperial Rome and Greece.
>>
What's your general opinion about PCs buying new advantages after character creation?
>>
>>47364746
In general you have to have reason for that.
In particular, most psy/magic/cyber-based abilities can be reasonable bought after chargen as you learn how to use it or install new stuff in your body.
Same with stuff like Trained by Master and all sorts of allies, but it's more of plot reward.
Something like "I saved 20 points, now I want Altered Time Rate with limited duration for no reason, lol"? No.
>>
>>47364812
How about a level one Gizmo
>>
>>47365009
How about no. It's stupid advantage designed for silly campaigns and/or plot-breaking.
>>
Does anyone know of any rules informative podcasts/videos for 4e?
I've seen some for other systems before, basically "how to play"s with some examples of play and I found them pretty useful for introducing players in a group (assuming they aren't just reading the book which they should be anyway). I plan to use the lite/ultra lite rules for introductions

It probably won't beat just reading the damn rulebooks, but it'd still be something nice to reference for new people.
>>
>>47365153
Fuck off.

>>47365009
The big question is "why didn't I have this at chargen?" What has changed since then? If there's justification, it should be fine.
>>
>>47365153

>>Badwrongfun, much?
>>
In your opinion, what is the most interesting/fun/satisfying magic system?
>>
>>47360863
And 'fencing weapons' is a nonsensical category in the first place that exists solely because of Hollywood misconceptions.

Hell, Kromm admitted the 'fencing sabre' in that category is not even a real weapon and is more like some fancy elvish sword.
>>
>>47365153

It's not. You seem to be taking Gizmo at face value, as if the character literally has a pocket with Schrodinger's tool in it. Gizmo is a "metagame" or "narrative" advantage. It emulates that moment when the hero suddenly realises he has just the right tool for the job in his pocket, and has all along.
>>
>>47365871

Despite it's flaws, I love the default spell system. I really like the aspect of mages having to build up their ability piece by piece - you have to know how to control fire before you can create it, and you have to be able to create fire to throw a fireball.
>>
>>47365872
There are a lot of confusing name choices in GURPS. Broadsword still sticks in my craw.
>>
>>47365998

My guess is the writers couldn't stomach to call it "longsword" since that term has absolutely no meaning, historically.

I find Honesty/Truthfulness is the one that catches most people out.
>>
>>47365871
I like Sorcery the most. RPM sure is very interesting and flavorful, but it felt very overpowered in actual play.
>>
>>47366023
Well, there's long swords (swords over 80cm or so) that would be less weird then broadsword.. or heavy swords (swords over 900 grams) to reflect the weight of them.. or just arming swords.
>>
>>47365998
It's called broadsword because it covers very broad category of swords.
>>
File: 450.jpg (30 KB, 339x317) Image search: [Google]
450.jpg
30 KB, 339x317
>>47366083
But not broadswords.
>>
>>47366098
I usually see this under "basket-hilted sword" name.
>>
>>47366072

>Well, there's long swords (swords over 80cm or so)

I more meant that the term "longsword" was never used consistently in history and isn't used in modern archaeology. "Longsword" has referred to things as diverse as Bronze Age, Migration Era and Viking Age swords, as well as fencing blades that a layman might call a rapier. It's not a useful classification and whoever was in charge of naming skills at SJG decided that accuracy trumps ease of understanding. Like with everything else in the system, hence the confusing names.

The problem with "arming sword" is people either don't know what it means, or know that it refers to very specific type of sword from a specific era. It might be weird that the macuahuitl uses Broadsword but it'd be even weirder if it used Arming Sword. Either way, we're stuck with Broadsword now.
>>
File: Rob Roy - Charles Stuart.jpg (59 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
Rob Roy - Charles Stuart.jpg
59 KB, 800x522
>>47366187
Broadsword for those with double edged blades, backsword for those with single edged ones, and they're both basket hilts of course, as that's what stays constant.
>>
>>47366231
>and isn't used in modern archaeology

Has the archaeologists gotten past calling almost every polearm ever a halberd yet?
>>
>>47366098
Broadswords are under the broadsword skill, what are you talking about?

Also Low Tech makes it clear the broadsword name is generic and covers arming swords, spathas, Viking swords and dozens of other similar blades.
>>
>>47366034

Agreed - RPM needs constant GM attention, because it has so few benchmarks, and it's trivial to invent spells that can disrupt most campaign settings. It really needs a Grimoire supplement for it as well.

You could assume a setting like Cabal or Dresden Files, where there's a long history of "shit getting fucked up by Skill 20 Archmages" and so there are measures in place to mostly stop this, but none of that is suggested.

Still, worth it for being able to do stupid things like this:

2 Spooky 4 You
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body + Lesser Create Undead + Lesser Control Undead.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Internal Cutting + Altered Trait + Duration.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

This spell inflicts 10d cutting damage to the target, as invisible claws flense the meat from their bones. Should the victim die from this, their bloody skeleton is animated as a weak undead creature under the control of the caster for 1 week. Viewers are likely to be required to make Fright Checks, with failures often manifesting in paranoia and fear - that there is a skeleton behind or inside them, and that it is already too late.

This Casting: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Lesser Create Undead (6) + Lesser Control Undead (5) + Damage, Internal Cutting 10d (54) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs + Altered Trait (4) + Duration, 1 week (9). 82 energy (82×1).
>>
>>47366392
>10d cutting damage
>Lesser
I believe there was limit on how much damage you can deal before it becomes Greater Effect, depending on TL.
>>
>>47366557

The limit is around "what a hand-held weapon can do".

For TL8, well, you're pushing the definition of hand-held, but within the range.

If anything it just shows that RPM pushes too much adjudication onto the GM.
>>
File: 1455411420397.png (3 MB, 1948x2010) Image search: [Google]
1455411420397.png
3 MB, 1948x2010
Wish me luck teeg; chapter two of my game begins today.
The party liberated the Ruins of Glardenfen from the hold of the Beastmen of Gorgoth! They fought tooth and nail through ogres, minotaur, dark wizards, plague, and even dragons to get to the Keep.

They then proceeded to put musket rounds through anyone that opposed them.
And it was glorious.

Now the army has reinforces them; in force, they stand a chance of opposing the dark Kingdom. But what new task will their party be sent on, these Liberators of the South? What test will they be put to?
>>
Anyone have any tips for building templates, specifically races? I'm doing a fantasy campaign soon, and I want to do a TES style race/class/starsign thing with some custom races and star signs
>>
>>47368066
Don't put too much on any one template

And make sure to remember that if it's typical for the entire race, above what everyone 'normal/human" gets, it goes on the template. And that's the ONLY rule.
>>
>>47368066

Be mindful of culture. Racial templates should be the things that ALL members of the species share. Most elves might be haughty dicks but that's cultural, not biological. A list of suggested cultural traits are a good idea ("Elves normally have Prejudice (Lesser Races)") but usually shouldn't be mandatory.
>>
>>47365954
Gaining the Gizmo advantage can literally be as simple as the character's now been on a couple of adventures, and has learned how to plan accordingly for unforeseen circumstances.

"You know what? I had a funny feeling we might run into an electronic lock, and I just so happened to have brought my security bypass kit."
-or-
"I thought this (enemies using tear gas) might happen, so I brought a respirator mask with me just in case."
>>
>>47365975
It is pretty cool, and the Magical Styles, especially the Dungeon Magic Styles are really thematic, and at the same time create some reasonable limitations on wizards.

It's a shame the spells themselves are a bit too wonky and vary too much in power level for point costs. Hence, why I've moved over to using the Sorcery and Divine Favor systems for DF.
>>
>>47368066
Try to keep racial templates between 20-40 points or less. Even though they're designed with a munchkin-y playstyle in mind, the Dungeon Fantasy ones are actually pretty reasonable.

I would honestly keep your Birthsigns/Star Signs at around 5 points. If everyone has one (and if anyone does then everyone should), don't count those points against their Character point limit. Keep them small packages - maybe one or two levels of a leveled trait (Vision/Lifting ST/Magic Resistance/Limited DR) and a Perk, for example. Some of the Birthsigns, as they work in TES4 would be significant traits in GURPS - don't try to emulate them completely, because the balance points in TES games are going to be completely out of whack with the point costs in GURPS.
>>
>>47368153
>>47368245
So about 20-30 points worth of key, inherent traits, and then maybe a few less universal things or cultural predispositions?

>>47368448
That's sort of what I was thinking for the star signs. About tenish points for the normal, beginning of play version, and then maybe build a more powerful form for the ascendant version you'd get from doing some sort of sign-related quest/ seeking out the star stone (which I plan on making a lot more elusive and hard to get to than the TES ones)
>>
>>47368653
Check out Template Toolkit 1 for advice on making occupation templates a.k.a. classes, as those will probably be the most complex, lengthy, and time-consuming type of templates, not to mention the one that will eat up the vast majority of the PCs' starting points budget.
>>
>>47368653
Sounds awesome, good luck man.
>>
>>47368770
Well, I probably am going to use the Dungeon Fantasy templates for classes, because they seem like a pretty good for for what I'm going for. Thanks though. Ill definitely check that out
>>
>>47368821
My bad, I misread "TES style" with you wanting to run an explicitly TES game set in that universe, which operates on different assumptions than DF (especially regarding divine/clerical magic). If you're just using the Race/Class/Starsign trifecta, though, you're good with DF. Best of luck to you Anon.
>>
>>47368909
Thanks. Speaking of divine magic, how do saints/miracle classes stack up against clerics and holy warriors? How bad of an idea would it be to switch the latter out for the former?
>>
>>47368995
It's gurps, so build it as you will?
>>
>>47369135
Well yeah, but I don't really have any experience with using the divine favor system. I know how it works in theory, but I've mostly run space opera and some WWII espionage so I've not really bad a chance to see it in action. I just wanted to see what people thought about it and how it compares to the normal spell based divine magic
>>
>>47369210
I'm about to use it for the first time myself. On paper, I already like it more just because I prefer magic as powers to magic as skills, but I have no practical experience.
>>
>>47369210
Ah, well. It runs on an ad hoc/pick and choose system. You're essentially making short spell lists, with no restrictions. And every improvement your players pay for needs direct role played approval "oh my god I beseech you" style.

It's not as complex as it seems. Just GM intensive. You have to say no/only this more often than not. God's have spheres of influence, and there should be little overlap if you're running with pantheons.
>>
>>47369210
The big mechanical difference between Paragons and Clerics is that the Paragon's miracles are *much* less reliable than the Cleric's spells. The Cleric only needs to succeed on a single skill roll and the static, predetermined effect of their choice will come into play, which is a drastic change from the Paragon needing two good rolls and the specific effects are normally out of the Paragon's hands as their god/GM determines the specifics of the miracle. Yes, Specific Prayer and Learned Prayer mitigate this, but each come with their own issues (all-or-nothing result on top of potentially wasting a really good roll, and costing character points, respectively). Additionally, most high-end Cleric spells require an incredibly high Reaction roll to pull off, making Paragons effectively less powerful than Clerics overall.

At the same time, though, Paragons have a wide breadth of abilities that a Cleric with a reasonable point budget could never hope to match; while Paragons have less power and are less reliable, they can *potentially* bring their gift to bear in literally any situation in some way and can't be stumped by not having the right spell on their list. Also if you allow Power Investiture or Religious Rank to affect Reaction rolls, suddenly Paragons become a lot more reliable and high-powered, for better or for worse.
>>
>>47369545
To put actual numbers to my implications, the DF Cleric has 20 points dedicated to spells and 25 points dedicated to holy abilities or more spells. If we divert all those points into Divine Favor, the Cleric can afford 8 levels. That's only a 26% chance of having your god notice you. The best a Paragon can hope for in an adventuring situation is +1 from succeeding on a Religious Ritual check and praying loudly, but most of the time he'll instead have to be dealing with penalties for low sanctity and repeated prayers. It also worth noting that only quirk points would be available for Learned Prayers.

Assuming the Paragon is properly optimized for a Dungeon Fantasy game and has a god whose tenants mesh well with adventuring life, he can probably expect around +1 to +3 on the reaction roll, meaning consistent if unimpressive minor miracles... until again those penalties for repeated prayers start adding up again. Also, low sanctity is an issue here as well.

However, the Cleric comes with Power Investiture 3 and IQ 14. Depending on how Power Investiture works, it may be worth keeping, but since Divine Favor has little interaction with IQ, the Paragon can probably afford to safely drop the attribute to 12 (I wouldn't drop much lower as the DF Paragon would still have use for above-average IQ and Will); that frees up 40 more points, enough for Divine Favor 10 and 15 points in Learned Prayers (or no Learned Prayers and all Quirk points go towards Divine Favor 11).

tl;dr a slapdash conversion of DF's Cleric to a Paragon should show you the degree of unreliability you risk when playing a Paragon compared to a traditional Cleric; the Cleric is rocking at least 20 spells at 15 while the Paragon is going to average, at best, around 11 on one of their necessary rolls. A more thorough conversion would be necessary and would probably strip the cleric of some traditional features such as being a competent warrior as well as a man of holy abilities.
>>
Anyone have that witcher book?
>>
>>47373656

Here you go.
>>
File: The Witcher - Monstrum.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Witcher - Monstrum.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47373769
>>
File: what.png (2 KB, 782x543) Image search: [Google]
what.png
2 KB, 782x543
>>47365998
>Unkillable 1 doesn't prevent you from being killed
>>
>>47374088

"Hard to Kill" was already taken X).
>>
Because a whip has low DR/HP, does that mean a successfully parried whip attack with a sharp weapon (such as a greatsword) also counts an an attack against the whip, or must the swordsman use a Wait maneuver to attack the whip as it attacks him?

Along the same lines, if you're wielding a staff and your opponent strikes with a MONOWIRE whop, will a successful staff parry on your end result in two pieces of wood?
>>
>>47374215

>Even Harder to Kill
>>
>>47374304
>Super Hard to Kill
>>
>>47374341

>Hard to Kill: Steven Seagal Edition.
>>
>>47375296
>Harder To Kill, But Still Not Unkillable
>>
>>47374088
>>47374215
>>47374304
>>47374341
>>47375296

Is there a good word/phrase for "cannot be killed except for total destruction of their physical body"?
>>
>>47375474
>Very Hard To Kill
>>
>>47375523
>Mostly Unkillable
>>
>>47375540
>Unkillable (Mostly)
>>
>>47375568
We have a winner!
>>
How would you guys modify the healing advantage to remove the -3 IQ penalty between consecutive uses? The best I can think is several levels of reduced time to change the wait period to 12 hours -> 6 hours -> 3 hours ->90 minutes ... etc.
Anyone know a cheaper way that also makes sense? As a GM its just a hassle, so I usually handwave it, but I want to charge more for it, of course, because that is a pretty big boon.
>>
File: star-trek-food-synthesizer.jpg (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-food-synthesizer.jpg
19 KB, 400x300
How would I go about statting up an ice cream maker in GURPS?

No, not one of those DIY kits that require raw ingredients. A machine that actually creates ice cream from energy and nothing else (consider it a specialized replicator from Star Trek if you will).

I know that the "Snatcher" Advantage from GURPS Characters is a good starting point, and also that various Gadget Limitations are required to represent a physical device...but what would the pricing of the ability to create ice cream actually be?

Best as I can figure it, Snatcher would be modified as follows ->

Base Cost: 80 Character Points.
Accessibility: Ice Cream Only -80%
Takes Recharge (1 hour) -30%
Reduced Time 1 +20%
Reduced Fatigue Cost 2 +40%
Permanent +300%
Cosmic: No Die Roll Required +100%
Creation +100%
More Weight (15 lbs) +15%

Gadget
SM-3 -15%
DR 25 -5%
Machine -5%

So, the total cost is 80 x 440% = 432...

432 Character Points for a device the size of a microwave that can reliably materialize up to 15 lbs of ice cream in five seconds every hour seems incredibly overpriced. Am I missing something here?
>>
>>47375913

Cosmic +50% or +100% ("No penalties for repeat use") ought to do the trick.
>>
>>47376075
while ice cream may not be the most usable matter, it DOES create something from nothing which ought to be incredibly highly priced.
>>
>>47376075
Maybe go at it through magic? Make a device with a powerstone and the ability to cast Create Food.
>>
>>47376075
>>47376105
>>47376126

Your base should probably be Create from Powers. Ice cream would count as a "specific item or substance", costing 5 points per level. Create requires 2 FP per attempt, as well as needing character points to "stabilise" created items. Given a single point is worth 10% of starting wealth, you're looking at at least $10,000 worth of ice cream per character point (at TL12). A single level can make 10lbs of ice cream at a time, so it's probably sufficient. Slap your gadget limitations on it, plus reduced fatigue cost and Cosmic and you get:

>Create Ice Cream 1 (Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, +50%; Gadget Limitations: SM-3, DR 25, Machine, -25%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%) [8.25]

Round up to 9 points, give it one more point as a Creation Pool (representing that it burns out after making, like, 20 tons of ice cream?) and bundle it as a meta-trait:

>Ice Cream Materialiser [10]
>>
>>47376075

My god, that's the most bastardly device I've seen.

Stealing ice cream straight from the hands of children all across the multiverse.
>>
>>47376403

I thought of Create, but I was under the impression it only conjures up relatively simply elements or compounds, such as iron or clay.

Anyhow, the whole "requires Character Points" thing puts a damper on representing a device with an effectively unlimited power supply.

Where is the "Creation Pool" rule from anyhow?
>>
>>47376446

With the "Creation" Enhancement, Snatcher actually creates instead of snatches from alternate universes. Enjoy your guilt-free 1981 Missouri diner Rocky Road!
>>
>>47376484

simple*
>>
>>47376484

"Creation Pool" is mentioned in the description for Create, although it's introduced a little weirdly. Basically when you buy Create, you're supposed to set aside some points to use with it. Create doesn't have to be simple - it mentions wood, TNT and nerve gas as valid options, which are at least as complex as ice cream is.

I also did a back of the envelope calculation - a single character point would allow you to create approximately 3.6 metric tons of ice cream.
>>
>>47376484
>>47376631

As an extra thought, you could probably add an enhancement like "Cosmic, No character point cost, +300%" or something if you need it to be infinite. That would elevate it to 24 points.
>>
>>47376484
Not simple, but bulk. Create can make nerve gas or nitroglycerin or other complicated materials, but Create Metal can only produce an unshaped lump of iron and not, say, a gun or sword (I'm pretty sure basic shapes like "wall" are okay, though).

You can create oodles of ice cream, but not an icecream sculpture.

Also my phone keeps trying to autocorrect to I scream. What the hell why is my phone making dad jokes?
>>
>>47376105
Thanks, 100% was what I was thinking from the guidance and thought process that if I can use healing repeatedly with no consequences than it would be practically a combat effect. Just wanted some confirmation/validation that the idea didn't sound too crooked.
>>
>>47376700
I might be misremembering, but I thought the creation pool is an "optional but recommended" rule.
The book has this guidance:

If economics are unimportant to
the campaign, the GM is free to waive
point costs for permanent matter.
Alternatively, he can require those
with Create to start with Wealth or
Independent Income – or a Vow never
to use Create to produce wealth.
>>
>>47376403
Would it be legal to add Extended Duration 10 000x (+160%) to make the ice cream last long enough to eat and digest without spending character points?

Also, I think Ice Cream would count as a "small category" [10/level] if you want to make different flavors.
>>
>>47376631
>>47376700
>>47376779
>>47376886

Thank you - all of you - for your assistance. The players are going to love their unconventional but still useful gadget.
>>
>>47376912

Maaaybe, but then you're going to run into some strange outcomes if you logically follow the implication of humans eating food that is converted into nutrients which then go poof.
>>
>>47376809

Well, most sources i've seen online suggest the +50% version, but +100% isn't too outlandish.
>>
>>47376912
I would consider "small category" to be closer to "deserts" or even "food." I don't think there's enough of a distinction between flavoring to warrant a doubling in price-per-level, even if it is technically more accurate.
>>
>>47376990
Ah, if there is even evidence for the 50%, that's even nicer. I'm GMing a game where one player is gonna be using Divine Favor to heal people, and I just want to give her a book-keeping free way to heal people.
>>
All this talk of a fatty treat makes me think: GURPS doesn't have rules for malnutrition, does it?

Anyone relying on just vanilla ice cream for sustenance is going to run into some rough digestive issues before long.
>>
>>47376970
I think RPM required conjured food to have a duration of 3 days, justifying that, by that point, most nutrients have already been used up and excreted and/or sufficiently dispersed that their removal won't have a noticeable impact.
>>
>>47377039

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=84329

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1268611&postcount=8

Here is some semi-official justification for the +50% version of Cosmic.
>>
>>47377081
Some Pirate/low tech seafaring book MUST have scurvy in it, at least?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.