[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rpg System recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
So,
I was looking at doing a "modern people fall into fantasy world" campaign for my Rpg group. I've gotten some plot points diagramed and a framework for the story, but I haven't decided on the system to use. (Pic one of the inspirations for the story, but I was going to have the gate/transfers be much less stable, to start with.)

I want something that can switch between modern times/equipment/abilities and fantasy without too much issue. (It will be heavier in the fantasy, but I'll have several modern technologies present)
However, my group usually plays Pathfinder for our fantasy campaigns, so I don't have much experience with more "universal" systems. I've played 1-shots of d20modern and Fate, but no experience in depth with them or how they deal with the different eras.

What are some systems I should look at in depth?
Fate? D20 modern? Savage worlds? Something else?
>>
>>47312326
GURPS. Build your characters with Dungeon Fantasy, then play Seals in Vietnam. Or just a generic TL 8 world.
>>
>>47312326
Tribe 8 is based on the real world-falling-into-postapoca-fantasy, so that maybe works? It uses the Shilouette system.
>>
>>47313329
Or just steal from Technomancer.
>>
>>47312326
GURPS may be the simplest choice, plus it does firefights pretty well.
You can also try Open D6 (very easy to learn and reasonably lethal), or a reskinned shadowrun.

On a sidenote, I find the "modern people fall into fantasy" setting to be best used with sword and sorcery.
>>
Savage Worlds.
Although modern firearms are just flat-out better than bows (a crossbow is roughly on par with a 9mm pistol), you can never, ever count on superior body armour and equipment to save you.
One lucky exploding roll and that knight will cleave your head clean off, although tanks are OP as shit in this kind of scenario. Nothing works against them except maybe dragons or a siege engine with a very lucky crew.
>>
>>47312326
The Strange.

Sorry about the GURPS trolls.
>>
>>47312326
GURPS is really good for this. You won't have any problems with playing with both technology and magic.
>>
OP here

Thanks for the recommendations.

I see it's popular, but GURPS is a little more nitty-gritty than I was looking for, based on past impressions.

For Tribe 8/shilouette, just it still on the 2003 release? Some of the reviews I saw said there were some big flaws with the book/system for the 3rd edition. Should I try to find 2nd Ed stuff?

Savage World and OpenD6 sound like they're still good to look at. I'll see what I can put together from those systems.

Definitely liking the recommendation for The Strange. I hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds like it might be what I was looking for. I had been trying to figure out how to allow the players to be something other than lvl 1 in a new class when they got to the new world, and the system sounds like it supports that changing of powers depending on world easily.
>>
>>47318006
If GURPS is too heavy, Savage Worlds will probably work pretty well (D6 Fantasy / Adventure / Space are all GREAT too).

Another might be Fate Core, if you don't mind something slightly more "narrative" in nature.
>>
File: Mini_Six.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mini_Six.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47318006
If you end up settling on d6, may I suggest using the Mini Six version of the rules?
It's a lot faster and I like a lot of the changes it adds.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.