[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kaladesh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: EN_KLD_ProductHeader.jpg (530 KB, 1920x1120) Image search: [Google]
EN_KLD_ProductHeader.jpg
530 KB, 1920x1120
Holy shit this set will be GORGEOUS

https://imgur.com/a/Np2af
>>
>>47311089
Isn't this supposed to be an Indian inspired set? Why are all those characters white, tan white, or black? I think I saw an East Asian guy even. Where are the Indian's in the India block?

This is basically the equivalent of having Kamigawa not have Asians.
>>
>>47311121
India is very diverse. From the outside folks lump it all together as "indian" but there are a shit ton of groups tribes and old kingdoms and shit.

Its like how in anime american a are all blond blue eyed cowboys.
>>
New Magic set I assume? Looks sweet, but I just can't bring myself to invest money in that game again.

Looks like it'd be a fun setting for a RPG, though. Also totally taking OP's picture for my new desktop background.
>>
>>47311089

wotc going hard for that tumblr audience, fucking great just what we need
>>
>>47311121
Why were there black guys in Innistrad and Theros?
WotC seems to fill their real-world-inspired planes with only one culture, but multiple ethnicities.
>>
>>47311239
Mtg really should make a digital exscusive variant platform instead of wastong time thinking digital ccgs are just a way to upgrade to "the real thing " and not the future of the fucking industry
>>
>>47311335
Greeks had african folk

Hell there myths basically fetoshized african nations
>>
>>47311159
You're right, but a more apt comparison is how everyone in Europe is white and have similar-ish faces.

There's no one in India that looks straight up black, and the few that are edging into Asian are definitely noticeably different than other Asians.
>>
>>47311303
>Any culture inspiration that isnt tolkein recyled for the billionth time is tumblr
>>
File: 3215049392_51d92d7b09.jpg (86 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
3215049392_51d92d7b09.jpg
86 KB, 500x400
>>47311392
India has some real dark folks, like darker than most black people dark.
>>
File: fHEnuiM.jpg (259 KB, 910x665) Image search: [Google]
fHEnuiM.jpg
259 KB, 910x665
>>47311303
What kills my mind is Chandra's mom is Indian.

Somehow, White+Indian=Ginger.

Also, what the fuck is this art.
>>
>>47311121
India is one of the most diverse countries on Earth.
Like you would not believe dude.
>>
>>47311369
Just like how paper books are still a thing and vinyl records are making a resurgence, people like holding physical copies of things.
>>
>>47311335
I don't mind there being some black, white, and Asian people. My problem is that they appear to totally outnumber actual Indians. Which isn't the case on Innistrad for white people, and Theros is a lot more of Mediterranean shades of tan with some actual blacks.
>>
>>47311335
They're from America. It's how we do.
>>
>>47311121
huh, i got more of a persian themed, semi-izzet steampunk feel from it
>>
>>47311423
That doesnt mean you should avoid the blatant market forces

All the horse and buggy compabies went out of buisness because they thought they were in the horse buisness not the transportation buisnes.

Mtg is an entertainment and game company. Its product is a game not paper fetishism and they need to do what best serves that game, Including not pissing over a MASSIVE audience from intertia.
>>
>>47311421
>fucked up shoulders
>dwarf arm
>punched in the nose
>don't even know about the neck
>>
>>47311424
Did you actually look at the imgur link? I'm not seeing any outnumbered indians.
>>
holy fuck another quarter of revenue loss upcoming for MTG

this is like straight out of a tumblr fanfic
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-17-23-35-36.png (205 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-17-23-35-36.png
205 KB, 540x960
>>47311424
You are just parsing the skin color into what you think indians look like.

A small sample
>>
>>47311421
Chandra hasn't really been known for having a natural hair colour; If it can turn into fucking flames, I see no reason why it can't be ginger.
>>
>>47311505
Neither of those sentences make sensd

Mtg consistently has grown every year since 2009 no net loss.

And how is an indian style plane out of a tumblr fanfic?

A fanfic of what?
>>
>>47311455
they cant even if they wanted to

Hasbro is completely incapable of doing good digital. They just make merch for big brands. They can't do anything else.

It's not like they intentionally made MTGO shit, they spent a ton of money on some retarded .net version of MTGO that never worked.
>>
>>47311533
>A fanfic of what?

magic?
>>
>>47311534
Just hire people who know what they are doing.
Game devs arent known for job stability.

Hell they could literally just wave checks in the HS designers face.
>>
>>47311533
lel look at this retard who can't fucking understand quarterly reports.
Games category revenues declined 8% in the quarter to $363.5 million. Growth in Franchise Brand MONOPOLY and initial shipments of PLAYMATION MARVEL'S AVENGERS were more than offset by declines in Franchise Brand MAGIC: THE GATHERING and several other games.
>>
>>47311438
I was just judging from how the people dressed and the names. Chandra being an actual, and pretty common, Indian name.

What just bugs me most is that they decided to take one of the richest and least explored cultures and mythologies in the world, and then take away everything unique about it except the phonology and vague parts of the aesthetics.

Like, fuck, why couldn't we have had an actual Indian mythology/folklore inspired plane? Why did we have to get generic not!Steampunk with a thin veneer of Indian culture? They couldn't even do the people justice by making them the proper race, but instead they're outnumbered by blacks and whites and Asians simply for the sake of "diversity".
>>
>>47311549
>wave check in HS designers face

Except lots of other companies will pay more. They underpay and overwork plus have shit management

No one skilled is going to want to work for Hasbro. Hearthstone was a very small team and they can basically work anywhere with that on their resume.
>>
>>47311517
>>47311531
>>47311533
Yo, you got to relax and stop acting so defensive.

If you're okay with tumblr pandering, that's one thing, but it's another to try and deny it's being done.
>>
>>47311595
They aren't pandering to tumblr

>insert transgender planeswalker, transgender characters, and horrible tumblr writers

Literally just staple on in shitty writing, This character is a trans. with no fucking relation to the story, which is also shit anyway.

These same mtg faggots deny the game is declining too lel when every quarterly has been down in players.
>>
File: stainless-games.png (54 KB, 380x269) Image search: [Google]
stainless-games.png
54 KB, 380x269
>>47311549
>Just hire people who know what they are doing.
:^)
>>
Ravnica with a mirrodan reskin

I dislike the aesthetic strongly
>>
>>47311121
>Isn't this supposed to be an Indian inspired set? Why are all those characters white, tan white, or black? I think I saw an East Asian guy even. Where are the Indian's in the India block?

Every single plane is "very diverse" now to appease the neo-Marxist regressives on Tumblr
>>
>it's a half the cards are young planeswalker episode

Post Lorwyn Planeswalkers were a mistake
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 750x450
>>47311595
How is Chandra being white Tumblr pandering?! Isn't that the complete opposite?

>>47311667
I feel ya. There is no reason that there should be afros this big in a set inspired off of india.

>>47311700
except for Sorin
>>
>>47311667
I sort of understand now why they're really never going to go back to Kamigawa.

It can't really be the excuse that it didn't sell well (that was because the mechanics were bust and overcosted, and not because of the flavor of the setting, which was well recieved), so it's probably because they're terrified of the shitstorm an all-asian setting might stir up.
>>
>>47311700
The idea anyone cares about magic plot is the big mistake

Jace is about as interesting as a frying pan. I think there might be 20 people on Earth who are into MTG because of planeswalker stories.
>>
>>47311667
>neo-Marxist regressives
u wot m8
>>
>>47311392
No, dude. A bunch of people from India look straight-up white, like you wouldn't even be able to tell.
>>
File: o.jpg (62 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
62 KB, 512x384
>>47311455
Mtg (and ccg's in general) are physical because of the first "C" in ccg: collectable.

When you obtain cards, you can display them, frame them, trade them, sell them, use them, or burn them. They are yours and you will still own them even when the company that made them goes out of business.
Digital games that emulate ccg play styles don't have that collectable aspect, nor will they ever have that aspect. Even though digital games that have a similar style to ccg's share an part of an audience, it's just that, a part. Even if digital games compete with traditional ccg's as far as game goes, it will never be a commodity, and as long as people are materialistic (which will be a very long time) ccg's will always have a market regardless of what goes on in cyberspace; so in a way, they *can* ignore "blatent market forces".
>>
>>47311737
How old are you? There is no way you can have been in the mtg scene for very long if you think people weren't really, really into the old lore.
>>
>>47311855
Shit goes out of style, dude. That's why things like vinyls are coming back into style, because they went OUT of style first.

A form factor for a class of products may surely survive, but companies may not. Besides, in business, usually you want to do well, not just dwindle. For the market leaders it becomes even more important to "stay ahead of the curve".

But whatever. You invest where it feels good for you.
>>
>>47311737
While all the neowalkers are trash, you best not be talking shit about Karn, Teferi, Serra, Venser...
>>
>>47311595
>Anything not white dudes is tumblr
>>
>>47311579
You're fucking Hasbro you have Disney cumming cash into your anus.

You fucking make shittons of.cash.with megablox MEGABLOX
megablox is shit!

Your studio has films making BILLIONS.

Nigga just outsource the shit like its heroes reborn.

I am not even.joking

Fucking pay Blizzard to make you a decent digital game
>>
>>47311946
Are you stupid? Is this literally how you think the world works? Might want to see a doctor about that lazy "." key.
>>
>>47311567
I actually dig the idea of doing a plane based on a culture but not on its myths more variety

Also you cant really do hinduism because its an actual practiced religion and Thats a stiicky tightrope to walk.

Wotc has already had some mild run ins with blasephemy. Remember Kiora?
>>
>>47311567
>take away everything unique about it except the phonology and vague parts of the aesthetics.
They have to pander to idiots who didn't understand Kamigawa.
>>
>>47311089
I'm really not feeling the "indian" in this, aside from the vaguest bits and pieces.
Doesn't feel all that Persian either.

Look, I get that they don't want to plaster curry, elephants, and bollywood all over it, but they could have put in at least a few more indian elements.

>>47311121
>>47311159
Isn't India one of the most populous countries in the world? It's also pretty big relative to the equator. It'd make sense for people to be different colors.

That said, yeah, where the fuck are the indians? It seems like they're trying so hard to avoid seeming "stereotypical" that they're missing the thing they're trying to emulate entirely.

>>47311926
>>47311667
and here we have an example of a feedback loop
>>
>>47311567
> We often seek inspiration from real-world cultures in the course of dreaming upMagicworlds, and we sometimes look to linguistic phonemes from real-world languages for namingMagiccharacters. But it’s never our intent to misappropriate or misapply terms or concepts that are foundational to people’s real-world spiritual beliefs. We’re happy wheneverMagiccan expose players to styles of fantasy that are inspired by mythologies and cultures other than Western fantasy’s traditional roots. But if we learn that any of our worlds, terms, or characters disrespectfully tread on the sincere beliefs of our fellow humans in contemporary, living cultures, we feel it’s important to take steps to correct that as best we can.

Imagine if Jesus or Allah was a trading card
>>
>>47312032
>Imagine if Jesus or Allah was a trading card

but we already have Jace ;)
>>
>>47312025
There is an enormous amount of diversity among Indian people, but at the same time I'm not seeing anyone who I would identify with any of that diversity in this art, at least not as the focus. Except the guy forging something.

It just feels weird that Indian people don't seem to be main characters in their own set, but I've barely seen any of the art yet.
>>
>>47311649
Why?

I fucking love all the golden swirls
>>
>>47312087
I guess we're judging it from a very, very small sample and we should withhold judgement until we've seen more of the set.

oh wait this is /tg/ we gotta shit ourselves before we've even seen any cards from the set
>>
>>47312116
I'm sorry you were born like this
>>
>>47312175
I gotta back up the other anon on this; the golden filigree is the best part of the aesthetic. Reminds me of Esper.
>>
>>47311517
Plug in your phone already, Jesus.
>>
File: FT_Diversity_Map.png (86 KB, 639x492) Image search: [Google]
FT_Diversity_Map.png
86 KB, 639x492
>>47312118
>>47312087
>>47312025
>>47311121
Listing the creative constants

Jisi Kottakuzhiyil
Sandeep Kedlaya
Narayanan Raghunathan
Sathish Ramamurthy
Basha Mohideen
Trinadh Nemani

They are having indian diveristy instead of theme park hollywood style

India is diverse as shit
>>
File: SathyaSaiBaba.jpg (37 KB, 350x353) Image search: [Google]
SathyaSaiBaba.jpg
37 KB, 350x353
>>47311727
>>47311727
>What are Siddis
>>
>>47311855
The collectibal market bullshit was always a secondary lump to the actual game.

Besides its not like digital games dont have that shit to. Shit like eve online has fucking stock exchanges and ore trade rights and embargos and shit.

Nigga get sued real money of wow property

You are confusing tactile fetishism with actual ownership.
>>
The new art is bad. I'm not even trashing the setting.
>>
>>47312298
No, but seriously, what are Siddis? I've honestly never heard of them in my life
>>
>>47311089
I hope we get a thopter tribal with a legendary thopter.

I also hope we get riggers and contraptions.
>>
>>47311981
I dont see what the issue is with wotc setting abudget aside to hire some decenr game designers.

Especially when they are getting btfo by a game made by a six man skeleton team

Its not like its building the hauge the format is by design easy to produce.

HS literally exists because blizzard had some spare change they wanted to experiment with so I dont see how making a competitng product is such a design barrier
>>
>>47311421
Some guy bein' high as a kite.
>>
>>47312354

>wanting riggers and contraptions

i hate you
>>
File: Siddis-Sheedis2.jpg (52 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Siddis-Sheedis2.jpg
52 KB, 500x333
>>47312332
One of the shit ton of ethnic groups of india and the wider south asian continent.

They descend from africans brought in by arabs and portugese over the past 1300 years
>>
>>47312401
>>47312332
> Altunia and Razia were childhood friends, some claim them to be childhood sweethearts. He had aimed to be her royal consort one day, but Razia's busy life and heavy responsibility as a Sultan wasn't something that she could overlook. Hence she kept turning down his repeated proposals for marriage. When he became the governor of Bhatinda, Razia started relying on an Abyssinian Slave named Jamaluddin Yaqut who was loyal to the Sultana. Yaqut in a short span had acquired great position and rank. From a simple Amir-i-Akhur (Lord of the stables), he became Amir-ul-Umra (Chief of the Nobles). The position of Amir-ul-Umra was earlier held only by a Turk of highest order. The growing rumour between the illicit relationship between Yaqut and Razia made him jealous and so he led a rebellion against her .

>India was ravaged by a literal cuck uprising

I fucking love history
>>
>>47312398
Sorry, man. I love goblins.
>>
>>47311403
My favorite part is that, not only do we apparently have people bitching about any appearance of non-Europe, we also have people bitching that it's not Indian *enough*.
Surround-sound bullshit, some days.
>>
>>47311549
>Just hire people who know what they are doing.
They're not allowed to. It's proprietary software, it can only be worked on by their in-house programming team.
>>
>>47312472

wow /tg/ isn't one person, who'd have thought
>>
>>47311534
They're unwilling to pay developers a competitive rate, so the ones they end up hiring suck.
>>
>>47311303
I know you're trolling, but for what purpose?
>>
>>47311121
>Isn't this supposed to be an Indian inspired set? Why are all those characters white, tan white, or black?
Who gives a fuck. It's fantasy, you dipshit. Just because it's based on India doesn't mean it has to be staffed with modern designated shitting street donators.
>>
>>47312502
...Yes, anon, I'm entirely aware that /tg/ is more than one person.
With multiple opinions.
I just said that multiple people are assholes, and that multiple opinions are bullshit.
I thought that pretty clear.
Apparently, it wasn't.
Next time, I'll use smaller words.
>>
>>47312237
Whenever someone posts a screenshot like that, I don't think I've ever seen the battery above 10%. It's really weird.
>>
>>47311159
>a shit ton

And a ton of shit
>>
>>47311121
>Isn't this supposed to be an Indian inspired set?

Persian. Of course, as many have pointed out, the whole Central/South Asian region is very diverse.
>>
>>47312832
I thought the Abzan were supposed to be somewhat persian
>>
>>47311667
Well at least you can't complain that it's only inspired-by-white-cultures settings getting diversified.
>>
>>47311089
I don't give a shit about mtg as an actual game but daum the art's pretty.

Is there some place collecting all of it? Like mtg booru or something?
>>
>>47311121
>never gone to India
>didnt experience the beautifully diverse culture
fuggin keep on living your life and try to make your way thru to India m8, whatever you do don't kill urself because you have a family and friends who care about you deeply
>>
>>47312836
The original tarkir was the four mtg archtupes matched to the four parys of the mongol empire

Aggro-Mardu- Chagtai
Control -Jeskai-Yuan China
Midrange-Abzan-Ikhanats
Ramp-Timur- Golden Horde
Then a fifth was added and it went all wedge themed
>>
>>47311421
Is Chandra's skin tone and hair color some sort of mutation? I don't know much about genetics desu

Maybe some of her ancestors were white gingers?
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>47312836
>>47313054

>>47313059
Maybe skme kind of assyrian thing?
>>
>>47311438
To me it feels like a more human, Red-bearing Esper. The ornate metalworks share the Esper aesthetic.
>>
>>47311465
I think these are the result of failed foreshortening, except for the nose.
>>
>>47311421
Obama says ''We wuz flying and shiiiet''
Also, why Obama
>>
>>47311922
To be honest, Tamiyo seems like a good character based on recent UR.
>>
>>47311996
>Wotc has already had some mild run ins with blasephemy. Remember Kiora?
Please tell me more
>>
>>47312663

so you're literally pointing out that yes /tg/ isn't one person, very good posting I'm sure nobody knew that before you deigned to enlighten us to that fact, you are a treasure of this board
>>
>>47313199
Kiora Atua, her original name, sounded too similar to the name of God to the Maori people so they changed it after a shit storm was raised over it. Literally an inconsequential dying tribe of people who don't even play magic got to dictate what happens in the game
>>
>>47313199
Her name was Kiora Atua.

Some polynesian person whined on tumblr about how "kiora" means "gods" in... maori, I think. And "atua" is a really causal greeting. So "Kiora Atua" pretty much means "sup gods?" which is even more hilarious now that Kiora stole Thassa's bident and Wizards folded at the speed of light and removed her last name from everything.
>>
The new Planeswalker looks pretty bland. She doesn't seem to have that iconic 'something' to make her memorable.

> Jace' hood
> Garruk's helm
> Ajani being an albino leonin
> Liliana's headgear and tattoos
> Chandra's flaming hair and goggles

To be honest, Arlinn also didn't seem to be snowflake enough in her human form.

Is this increasingly common design some result of a hatred towards special snowflakes?
>>
>>47313310
p. sure her iconic thing is, you know, that she can turn into a fucking werewolf.
>>
smug momwalker
>>
>>47313321
I did mention she doesn't seem to have no iconic thing in her human form.

Unless you count the 4th wall breaking observation that she looks like a certain tranny.
>>
>>47313266
>>47313269
Brb, inventing a religion with a god called Jace
>>
>>47313054
You are wrong.

Jeskai - Tibet
Temur - Yakutia
Mardu - Mongols
Sultai - SE Asia
Abzan - China? Who cares
>>
>>47313310
Smugness.
>>
>>47313471
>Abzan - China? Who cares
Holy shit read a book for once in your life
>>
>>47311385

Yeah, lots of people use to "had" african folk.
>>
>>47311089
That´s the most gaudy desing i saw in my life, I don´t understand how anyone likes this.
And I see that many of you likes it and as illustrator is disappointing and overwhelming that the public taste of actual real people looks like this.
I don´t understand the love for plasterboard ambient and costume like dressing, but it takes huge positive feedback most of the times.
>>
>>47313165

Sadly while Jace exists she's not likely to get much showing in future sets.
>>
>>47313471
Abzan is Somehow Afghanistan.
>>
>>47313704
Fuck Jace, I was hoping they'd leave his boring ass on Ravnica back when they made him the "living guildpact"
>>
No idea why everyone's complaining. The art looks nice and I'm excited that the next set is something I could enjoy instead of gothic shit.

I do wish they'd have a block set in not!medieval Europe though. Armoured knights crushing peasant levies underfoot.
>>
Such an ethnically diverse plane!
>>
>>47313310
The metal swirls
>>
>>47313310
She's a weremilf
No other character is as milfy as her
>>47313435
Nor as smug
>>47313321
Nor as wolfu
>>
>>47312355
Sure, sure. If only Hasbro would put you in charge instead of those assholes from Wharton, their financial problem would be solved!
>>
>>47313730

Card!Jace is almost completely separate from Fluff!Jace. The latter is a dweeb. The former is 'Every asshole blue player'.

Neither is particularity engaging but the dweeb is at least funny. Like how he bitched about his ex-girlfriend so much that his coach driver went 'Fuck it, turning into a werewolf, eating his fucking face'
>>
>>47313634
I fucking love it, swirls and colors and gold and shit everywhere.

Kaladesh is the plane those goblins from olgalf would make
>>
>>47313735
Geberic high fantasy is generic

They would need a cool hook
>>
>>47313634
Get out of your ivory tower. As an artist, if you are out of step with the world, the world will not suffer; you will.
>>
>>47311727
This is nice for you?

I mean, the art of the OP is technically fine, but I'm talking about the desing. The other pic is bad at desing and technique.

Also, I >>47313634, I'm not complaining, I'm simply impressed about the cognitive dissonance. Everybody have his taste, of course, but I and my friends have been talking about kaladesh design and there is a consensus in that point: kaladesh is the ultimate gaudy plane, and MTG it´s really gaudy, even in the gothic and grim planes, all looks like a movie set and everyone dress with unreal clothes and armours that no one will use in reallity.
>>
>>47313964
>>47313735
wrong reply
>>
>>47311421
the shard of aether bound to her soul cleansed all the curry from her genetics.
>>
>>47311121
well you see friend, the problem with India is the Indians.
>>
>>47313832
Yep, that´s the most frustating part. I'm working doing ridiculous designs everytime, most of the time for USA clients that love this kind of unreal costumes and überornated designs.
I'm not in the ivory tower and because that, i'm suffering, forced to draw this kind of stuff. I mean, when I worked for Blizzard I can pass through all the goudy stuff because all looks cartoonish and is visually more acceptable, although I hate the style of the company, but in mtg everithing is going to movie-set stuff and/or superheroes look.

So of course i'm doing my job, but it doesn't eliminate my opinion.
>>
>>47314065
Draw a couple badass origins walker redesigns and submit them with your resume to hasbro. I fucking hate most of the art for cards and Im a new player. If you draw anything along the lines of old illustrators for magic you could make bank.
>>
>>47314095
Is not a bad idea...
>>
>>47314065
You don't seem to understand You are in your ivory tower, judging the world because you don't understand it. Whatever, if you won't even read my words, it's pointless.
>>
>>47313803
Low fantasy. Game of Thrones but with elves 'n shit.
>>
>>47314128
Besides, things are only generic if you treat them that way. High fantasy is not as impossible to achieve as people think.
>>
>>47311369
something tells me this is the guy with cheeto hands and sleeveless cards
>>
>>47311121
>He's never seen white Indians
Go travel to Asia like even once
>>
>>47314123
>You are in your ivory tower, judging the world because you don't understand it.
Oh! you mean that with the tower metaphor, in that case, somehow yes.
I work drawing stuff for the public, but I don´t understand the public taste, is frustating and surely my fault, but it is what it is.
I try to not judge because it´s a question of taste, but it is inevitable to project my opinions in my criticism. I can stay in some neutral way and never say anything and comment nothing about art or whatever, but here i am expressing my opinion and my lack of understanding about the world.

How I get out from the tower?
Should I change my own taste and convert into the mass media taste?
Should I shut up forever and never tell anybody which are my own tastes (like i forced to do in my job to have my clients happy)?

Should I get out from the tower?
>>
>>47314311
I'm sorry, I find this really interesting and I wish to answer your questions, but life has called me away. If this thread is still alive when I see it next, I will try to answer them. Good luck!
>>
>>47312032
>MaRo misteriously posts a link on tumblr
>WOTC PROUDLY PRESENTS: ABRAHAMIC NIGHTS
>Jesus, son of Jehovah/God, the creator flip card
>Allah, the greatest
>Jehovah, caretaker of the chosen
>The three cards are the fucking same

Cool!
>>
>>47311421
I am Indian.
My great uncle was a only lightly-tanned man with green eyes and red hair from Northern India.
It's really not uncommon at all.
>>
Is this the set where we finally get Contraptions (as in Steamflogger boss?)
>>
File: internet punch.jpg (38 KB, 400x328) Image search: [Google]
internet punch.jpg
38 KB, 400x328
>>47314128
>Low fantasy
>Game of snores
>>
>>47315471
I hope so.
>>
>>47311121

Basically
>high tier castes - pale
>shit tier castes - shit

The darker the skin, the lower the intelligence is usually a good measure
>>
Any of you guys remember Asura's Wrath?

Fantasy India done right. Racial politics took a back-seat to capturing the spirit of the thing.
>>
>>47313735
Gothic is superior in style to almost any other so you've got some pretty shit taste there friendo
>>
>>47311946
Hasbro doesn't own Mega Bloks, Mattel does. Hasbro had Kre-O, an overall failure even with the Transformers brand slapped onto it and some refocusing of the brand.
>>
BEAUTIFUL LANDS

FOR ME TO SHIT IN
>>
>>47311567
>Kaladesh is out already and I've seen all the cards and art
>>
>>47316806
Art Deco laughs at you and your shitty style
>>
>>47317152
That's literally the only style better, good choice
>>
>>47317116
>Hurr durr, you can't know shit is going to come out of WotCs ass, this time it might be birds!
>>
File: 1417889856032.png (2 MB, 1114x1262) Image search: [Google]
1417889856032.png
2 MB, 1114x1262
>>47311729
I remember a statement about how they got returns that the mythos was too obscure for some people, so if they redid it they would go with Hollywood japan instead of a more historically accurate version of the legends.

However, Kaladesh having multiple sources of inspiration doesn't bother me. It's supposed to be a foreign universe, they is as many reasons for it to be a mix of things than there is for it to be fantasy india.
>>
Who else is scared to read today's UR?

I WANT AVACYN TO LIVE, dammit
>>
White people get pretty upset about things.
>>
>>47316043
Abs you could grate cheese on. Mmmm.
>>
>>47313964
>costumes that no one would wear in reality

Good thing it's fantasy then, huh?
>>
>>47317280
It was a MaRo article. The issue he was discussing was that original kamigawa used far to much from Japanese culture without enough reference points. Samurai, ninja and oni are all pretty basic. But the issue WoTC had was that shit like gohei, genju and honden were not immediately understood and that turned players and potential players off.
>>
>>47317580
Just because you can shoot fire arrow or breath ice doesn't mean that you should go climb a wall with high heels.
Fantasy =/= practical
Unless we're talking about characters whose deal is pretty much to be overdesigned, like demons, angels or vampires. They don't bend to the rules of logic
>>
>>47317598
>see thing I don't know about or understand in Kamigawa
"Shit dog cool art, time to open goggle/a book."

I fucking hate the general Magic public.
>>
>>47311421
>Flying monkey Obama
>why
>>
File: 1457266035392.png (473 KB, 650x811) Image search: [Google]
1457266035392.png
473 KB, 650x811
>>47317719
>I think the difference between Theors block and Kamigawa block shows how much we learned from our mistakes.
Does he mean keep making underpowered blocks but stripping them of any interest?
>>
>>47317280
That thing looks like it was designed to give her ass and thighs splinters.
>>
>>47317682
Why not? It's fucking fantasy, the characters don't exist to look practical, unless that's a theme the artist is pushing, they exist to look appealing and visually interesting.
>>
>>47317997
One again, unless the characters we're talking about bend the rules of logic, there is no reason to make them looks like complete dumbasses.
>>
>>47317719
>I spend time and money on collectible card gaming, and apparently I care about the settings and flavour, but googling things is somehow beyond me.
>>
>>47317997
I fucking hate this argument when it comes to fantasy.

A fantasy setting having fantastical shit in it means that the setting has different/more factors governing logic or physics than the real world, not that we should throw them all out the window.
Going down that route only leads to cancer.
>This is bullshit, there are demons and wizards, I should be allowed to make a loli barbarian with a 100lb hammer!
>>
>>47312745
a designated shit ton
>>
>>47311089
I'm loving that face thing, whatever iti s
>>
>>47312277
>cultural diversity can be quantified
>>
>>47311089
It looks like shit.
>>
>>47318428
Metal sideburns look dumb
>>
>>47314311
I'm not that guy, but I don't see it as a question of "converting," and I think that mindset is itself part of your problem. People are not "wrong" for liking Magic art. Calling art "good" or "bad" is not quite the objective of critique, but whether or not art succeeds at what it aims at doing.

Your impression seems to be that "mass media" is monolithic. It's not, not exactly. There's a lot of it, and plenty of people dislike parts of it and like other parts and have diverse reasons for doing so. Those reasons are legitimate, because most of them are simply based off different emotional responses to things each work does. If you're in an ivory tower, so to speak, it's probably because you're failing to acknowledge that there are legitimate reasons to like bits of "mass media." Pop music, even shitty pop music, is very catchy, and a lot of the time it's fun to sing along to. That's a legitimate reason to like it, even if you think the rest of a song (the lyrics, for example) are garbage. For someone who values lyrics very highly, it can be hard to engage with the opinion of someone who doesn't care as much about the lyrics. Meanwhile, someone who prefers catchy songs might find it hard to engage with somebody who cares less about songs that make him want to dance as much as he does songs that are filled with meaning. Neither person is wrong, though. The right thing for each to do is to acknowledge that their priorities for what makes a song they like are not the same as the values for what makes a song "good," if you can even call a work of art "good" and not mean it subjectively.

Does that make sense? It's honestly a difficult question to answer. There must be a reason that people like this, even if you find it gaudy or overwrought. You must try to see things from their point of view, but that does not mean you have to "convert to" it. As Aristotle put it, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
>>
File: 1422879205413.jpg (30 KB, 475x343) Image search: [Google]
1422879205413.jpg
30 KB, 475x343
>>47311421
>>47313154
made me spill my drink, fuck you
>>
>>47318413
Is that long tons, short tons or metric tons?
>>
File: if-you-build-it-they-will-come.png (421 KB, 623x310) Image search: [Google]
if-you-build-it-they-will-come.png
421 KB, 623x310
>If you build it, they will come

WOTC genuinely believes that non-whites will start playing Magic en masse now that they see themselves on the cards.
>>
>>47313735
Why
>>
>>47314065
Moviesetstuff and superheroes

What?
>>
>>47316043
You're an idiot
>>
>>47318571
Yes it can
>>
File: 120621210080.png (147 KB, 605x367) Image search: [Google]
120621210080.png
147 KB, 605x367
>>47312277
>Dem. Rep. of Congo and India
>More diverse than the U.S.
lol, 'the fuck?
>U.S.
Blacks of different origins (African tribes, nations, the Caribbean etc.), Whites of different origins (Irish, German, English, Dutch, etc.), Indians, Koreans, Chinese, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Arabs, Jews, etc. etc.
>Dem. Rep. of Congo
Bantu peoples, Mongo, Mangbetu-Azande and a others, fundamentally the same.
>India
Pretty much Indian. Yeah, there's different religions, some ethnicities sprinkled in, but it's about as diverse as a manila folder.
>>
I see a lot of magic robots and shit, but not many Indian fantasy critters. Where are all the naga and vanara, or a race of bird people based on the garuda?
>>
>>47319498

>According to Census of India of 2001, India has 122 major languages and 1599 other languages.

What say you?
>>
>>47319498
The DRC has 250 tribes and 700 langauges, all in a space the size of Alaska .

The whole region is notorious for diveristy to the point of non functioning.
>>
>>47319525
>Where are all the naga and vanara, or a race of bird people based on the garuda?

They've carefully excised these elements to avoid cultural appropriation.
>>
>>47319525
Its based on india culture not indian myth specifically.

Which I like, too much fiction based on various cultutes just uses there gods and shit.
>>
>>47311089
As an Indian, I hope they actually focus on the Mythology. I want to see some insane artifacts and equipments.
>>
>>47319498
>[india is] about as diverse as a manila folder.
It hurts to see someone getting 'a few ethnicities' so badly wrong.

>The US Department of State: Ethnic groups: Indo-Aryan 72%, Dravidian 25%, others 3%. While the national census does not recognize racial or ethnic groups, it is estimated that there are more than 2,000 ethnic groups in India.

>every major religion is represented, as are four major families of languages (Indo-European, Dravidian, Austroasiatic and Sino-Tibetan languages) as well as two language isolates (the Nihali language[10] spoken in parts of Maharashtra and the Burushaski language spoken in parts of Jammu and Kashmir).

>Further complexity is lent by the great variation that occurs across this population on social parameters such as income and education. Only the continent of Africa exceeds the linguistic, genetic and cultural diversity of the nation of India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scheduled_Tribes_in_India
>>
File: 1445794272403.jpg (4 KB, 85x89) Image search: [Google]
1445794272403.jpg
4 KB, 85x89
>>47319498
>>India
>Pretty much Indian
You can't be serious. This is about as legitimate as saying "The U.S. isn't diverse, because everyone who lives there is American!"
>>
>>47319498
but anon, the fewer white people there are, the more diverse a country is
>>
Why is India so varied?
Is it partly because of the caste system?
>>
>>47319689
because it's fucking hueg
>>
>>47319689
It was also a bitch to centralise for most of recorded history, even today actually.
>>
That one guy with the bow when
>>
>>47317837
Im designed to burry my wood in her ass if you know what I mean
>>
>>47319165
This guy did a pretty good job, though he approached your issue from a different angle than I had in mind. Listen to him and you should be ok.
>>
>>47319661
Thus India and africa being dark as fuck on that map

Also I need to make this a pasta
>>
>>47319498
>U.S.
>Blacks of different origins (African tribes, nations, the Caribbean etc.), Whites of different origins (Irish, German, English, Dutch, etc.), Indians, Koreans, Chinese, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Arabs, Jews, etc. etc.

>India
>Pretty much Indian.

That's some funny shit, thanks anon
>>
>>47311505
>>47311595

> Muh Tumblr SJW boogeyman forcing "diversity"

Enough with this fuckery already, do you really give that much of a toss what the folk on the cards look like? Stop getting buttflustered about fuck all
>>
>>47317719
This is just fucking sad, but it perfectly illustrates the difference between Old Magic and New Magic.

Mirrodin would be completely inconceivable nowadays. "That shit doesn't fit into Magic at all! It'd turn off players!"
>>
>>47317598
It's fascinating how hard a dude can try to come up with an explanation for why a block bombed when he just doesn't want to admit that making shitty and underpowered cards is dumb. What's the explanation for Homelands? I know that Innistrad 2.0 is all about that >not enough recognizable mechanics! Too much Innovation!
>>
>>47319814
But anon, it actually did turn off players. People stopped playing in droves and the pros stopped showing up to promote the game even.
>>
>>47319801
But no anon, it's definitely the chinks, jews and blacks on the cards that cause drops in revenue, not shitty policies, bad PR and printing dogshit on cardboard that not even Limited wants to pull!
>>
>>47319801
White people in the developed world have comparatively very little to be upset about. Diversity in children's card game artwork is about all they've got left.

Don't take that away from them, anon!
>>
>>47319838
The point is that they just won't try weird shit anymore and instead just feed people the same old shit they expect. In terms of flavor Kamigawa succeeded where Mirrodin failed: It actually looked good, while still being weird and foreign, like an actual different plane.
I'd just love some new and different ideas instead of just regurgitating fucking mainstream pop culture.
>>
>>47319689
Its huge

It was the economic and cultural center of the world for centuries

Its geography made it hard to unify totally
>>
>>47319861
>White people in the developed world have comparatively very little to be upset about

What about alienation and pronounced social anomy?
>>
>>47311729

Every human on Tarkir was Asian.
>>
>>47319838
>>47319875
I actually like the power rangers aproach to mtg flavor though.

You take shit people are already into and apply magic to it. The diveristy of mtgs sytem means you can do anything with it.

Like how toku shows shift themes. Ninjas to dinosaurs to trains to magicians to kung fu to space cops to animals to cars and so on.
>>
>>47319830
No one said flavor was the only rason kamigawa failed. Just one of many
>>
>>47319849
Of course, how silly of me....
>>
File: India.jpg (121 KB, 590x513) Image search: [Google]
India.jpg
121 KB, 590x513
>>47311089
>based on India
Confirmed for shit-tier.
>>
>>47319955
Lol, well-memed.
>>
>>47317598
But I LIKED Gohei, Genju and Honden! It means wotc actually researches their cultural references. Fuck man.
>>
>>47319883
>Economic and Cultural Center

Easy there Pajeet. Last time I check India was adopting Hellenistic art not the other way around
>>
>>47320260

www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/journals/jwh/jwh051p001.pdf

The silk road the spice trade Buddhism and there number system were all engines of its dominance.
>>
>>47319897
>What about alienation and pronounced social anomy?
That's just millennials being dumb shits. They'll either snap out of it in their late 20s, or die out from ennui and be replaced by more fit versions.
>>
Lol, this will be Niggas, the set.
MTG artists apparently cannot into Indians, (except Chandra's Ma).
I'm more worried about powering up Affinity, tho.
So, where is the green in this plane?
>>
>>47320741
>worried about powering up affinity
Wizards doesn't print good cards anymore so you don't need to worry about that
>>
>>47320841
>Wizards doesn't print good cards anymore
Except they just broke Modern and made a new Legacy deck viable with the Gatewatch Eldrazi, Nahiri from SOI just won a Modern SCG.
Holy fuck, they just printed 2 Power Nineesque cards in Khans, one of them at common.
>>
>>47321207

>Holy fuck, they just printed 2 Power Nineesque cards in Khans

Might I also partake in your delusion? What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>47321244
Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 736x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 736x409
>>47320741
>where is the green in this plane
each origins plane roughly corresponded to a teo-color plane, and kaladesh was the UR plane, so there aren't really any depictions of green. however, there is wilderness including big beasts outside the metropolan cities where the rich and powerful live in their artifice-diven opulence. chandra got in a fight with one, it's possible woodland bellower
is from kaladesh
>>
>>47318098
They inherently due, since they're fucking magically summoned imprints of nonexistent things.
>>
>>47319789
aw shucks, thanks guy
>>
>>47320741
>So, where is the green in this plane?
There will be snakes, tigers, bears, wolves, elephants, and monkeys I bet. Jungle Book here we go.
>>
>>47317598
Oh wow. I assumed that Genju and Honden were made up MTG words. And I LIKE Kamigawa.
>>
>>47311727
I think chandra being white is tumblr pandering because they gave her colored parents even though she is white
>>
Why don't they just make an African themed set so they can finally celebrate the diversity of melanoid culture?
>>
>>47325332
That'd be appropriating the noble culture of Africa and totally shitty to do
>>
>>47311534
I select this as the best answer. Every single hasbro brand is digitally retarded. How the fuck do you expect them to make something better than MTG when they can't even make fucking gatherer comments work?!
>>
>>47319671
But... they are, Anon. They are just different colors/flavors of American.

Anyone who lives someplace, and has all their life, who labels themselves as "Something-WhereILive", like "Chinese-American" for example, is full of shit. Way to divide the country, faggot. That's not celebrating diversity; I can see your fucking yellow skin and almond eyes are different than my black skin and big nose. That's creating cultural/race "cliques" that do nothing but draw lines in the dirt.
>>
File: blue-city-jodhpur.jpg (131 KB, 550x340) Image search: [Google]
blue-city-jodhpur.jpg
131 KB, 550x340
>>47311089
>indian inspired
>oh sweet, i like india
>bland fantasy art with not much india mythology inspiration

Okay, i know how the meme is that india is the country of curry and designated shitting streets, but india (although poor and third world) has some seriously cool myths and culture. It is a culture of color. Bright ass colors with ridiculously over the top dragon ball mythology.

Like >>47311567 said, this is a wasted attempt at something that could've been badass.
>>
Kaladeshian lore discussion.mp4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sL510G3ioYU
>>
>>47311335

Because they came from the Dark Continent from across the sea, a mist-haunted place where the jungles are thick with shadows and an eerie drumming like a heartbeat sounding ever-louder as the night draws near?
>>
>>47325541
Oh, for fuck's sakes, are you serious?
Look at the comment I'm replying to. Look at it seriously. He's talking about in terms of ethnicities, not whatever nationalist perspective you're moving from. Now, the statement that "India is not diverse because everyone there is Indian" is outright pants-on-head retarded, and that's what I was pointing out by contrasting it with something that seemingly refutes something else he said.

If you're want to talk about ethnic groups in a population, it's utterly ridiculous to say "there are no ethnic groups because they all belong to population x." No shit, that's not an ethnic group though. Please seriously read posts next time and consider them in context before you reply to them and make yourself look stupid.
>>
>>47312032

And there's no problem as long as it isn't mockery.

Nobody thinks Lord of Light was insulting Indian mythology.
>>
>>47311420
Black people and Indian people have very very different facial features
>>
>>47312032
But King Suliemen got a card anon?
>>
>>47319689
It's called a subcontinent for a reason.
>>
>POO IN LOO: the set
Might be cool.
>>
>>47311567
They better have loxodon and raka raka....cat demons in this plane.
>>
How do you go from god tier aesthetics like battle for zendikar and shadows over innistrad to this dreck?
>>
So much recycled art, but why?
>>
>>47325332
They did
>>
>>47325682
How is this bland? Its like a fucking metal swirl paintball fest?
>>
>>47319303
>playing Magic
>Rupak rubs his feces encrusted hands all over your cards
>>
>>47325855
Yeah thats why Jesus Aggro beat Yaheh control in the ALLAH UNLEASHED draft primaries
>>
>>47311089
>chandra's mom is clearly desi
>chandra is pale as a ghost and has red hair

explain that
>>
>>47326625
India has gingers
>>
File: MYSmR2I[1].jpg (371 KB, 750x450) Image search: [Google]
MYSmR2I[1].jpg
371 KB, 750x450
>>47326638
sure but (as far as i know) these two are supposed to be her parents

where's she getting the gingerness from?
>>
>>47326222
>BFZ
>Good aesthetic
The aesthetic of Zendikar hasn't been good since the original block
>>
>>47326686
Wizards doesn't know shit about genetics. Also they clearly didn't create Chandra with the intention of her being from the Indian plane, it just happened that way when people bitched about her having an Indian name and they saw an opportunity to score some pc brownie points
>>
>>47326686
We don't know. We might not ever know. It might just be that she was adopted. That's probably going to be the official explanation, if we ever give one.
>>
>>47326775
>the aesthetic of Zendikar hasn't been good since the original set

FTFY
>>
>>47325682
>t is a culture of color. Bright ass colors with ridiculously over the top dragon ball mythology.

You have absolutely zero frame of reference to determine that that's not going to make an impact on the set.
>>
>>47326686
I thought her hair was supposed to be some kind of magical thing. Like a reflection of her ability to be a really good pyromancer.
>>
File: SouthernEnglishGentleman.jpg (7 KB, 191x200) Image search: [Google]
SouthernEnglishGentleman.jpg
7 KB, 191x200
>mfw there is an artifact toilet and each land with a street has a hidden poo in the art
>>
>red dot indian set
>not egyptian
Into the fucking trash not even a goyf reprint could save this level of degeneracy
>>
>>47327347
Well, the "Greek" themed set certainly didn't feel very Greek.
>>
>>47311421
Thanks, Obama
>>
>>47319498
The United States is basically Northern Europe with a few former black slaves and a handful of economic migrants.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.