[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/ amateur game maker here. I've working on a board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: ship types so far.jpg (381 KB, 1295x1090) Image search: [Google]
ship types so far.jpg
381 KB, 1295x1090
Hey /tg/ amateur game maker here. I've working on a board game for a bit now and I got all the mechanics down and everything and now I'm just wondering a few things.
>where to test my game, (no friends),
and then if that goes well
>how to produce it
I have a prototype, but it is very fragile.

thanks
>>
>>47296713

>repair ship (?)

Supply ship.
>>
>>47296912
I used the silhouette of a liberty ship with some minor changes, but planned to use it as repair ship. the (?) is because I'm unsure if I want to include it. that's one of the things I need to test
>>
>>47296713
Well, how much criticism can you take?
>>
>>47296987
all you can give
Like I said, I have no one to bounce ideas off so anything helps.
>>
So more details on the game itself (pls no steal):
Game board is hexagon tiles. Can have little islands, (no movement through), tall islands (no movement and no shooting over), fog (decreased accuracy if between line of sight) and sand bars (subs can't pass through but surface ships can)

Each ship has Hp, speed ( how much it can move per turn), and evasion, how hard it is to hit.

Then each has gunnery attack and special attack, (so far only torpedoes). Weapon stats are:
Number- number of turrets carried by the ship (each turret is just one hit, no double triple or single turrets)
Damage- damage dealt per successful hit.
Base Accuracy- added to the roll to get total accuracy, compared to the target's evasion. Higher means a hit is scored, equal or lower means a miss.
Range- how many hex tiles away it can fire.

Also the number of weapons that can be fired depends on the direction the ship is facing. Obviously a battleship can't fire her rear guns directly forward.

Then there's AA. AA comes into play only when attacked. When the attacking air group (groups of five) attacks, first, all ships that have AA guns with enough range to cover the defensing ship roll one d20 for every AA gun they have. Same base accuracy + number rolled compared to evasion. Every successful hit downs one plane from the group. Once all AA guns have been fired, the air group rolls one die per remaining aircraft in the group. Also accuracy vs evasion deal.

Maximum of ten ships per battle group. Score points by winning battles and sinking ships. Use those points to get ships and aircraft.

Opinions?
>>
>>47296713
Collier, not repair ship. Until more modern times, Destroyers didn't have the fuel for cross-ocean campaigns.
>>
>>47296942

You probably won't. With the kind of damage ships take, you generally need a dry dock to fix anything that seriously inhibits their function.

Unless you're going to keep track of ammo/fuel, and need a tanker or collier ship, it'd probably be best to keep it out.
>>
>>47297142

I was onboard until you said turrets only get one shot per, regardless of number of guns. If you don't want battleships to obscenely out-damage, you can at least make multiple-gun turrets more accurate instead of more damaging to simulate ranging shots and bracketing fire.

Also, make sure your planes don't all have the same evasion. Dive bombers were significantly more easy to hit than fighters or torpedo bombers due to their attack profiles.
>>
Is evasion a static number (to-hit) or a modifier (evasion bonus)?

How do submarines work (as in their special rules, beyond being barred by sand bars)?
>>
>>47298840
Ok. I was thinking maybe I'd just be for minor damage on destroyers and light cruisers or something, not for big damage. Alternatively the fuel/ ammo thing would be cool but that might be a bit hard to keep track of.

>>47298873
Battleships have medium base accuracy, enough to hit battleships consistently and enough to hit heavy cruisers and light cruisers. Destroyers are still very difficult to hit, and that is best left to the cruisers.

Also, fighters do have the highest evasion, followed by dive bombers and then the torpedo bombers, which need fighter strafing support to attack safely.

>>47298993
Evasion is static. Accuracy is the changing stat, base + number rolled.
>>
File: image.jpg (677 KB, 1650x1275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
677 KB, 1650x1275
>>47296713
That's clearly battleship your rippin off
>>
>>47298873
How about subsequent shots on the same target getting bonus accuracy, to simulate the gunners honing in on the target?
>>
RIP thread
Went down like the Hood
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.