[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was 2000 the year RPGs died?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 640x360
Why was 2000 the year RPGs died?
>>
What are you talking about? I've been gaming since the late 1980s, worked in a game store in the 1990s. With desktop publishing, online distribution and cheap print on demand there are more RPGs, more widely available than ever.
>>
>>47280480
This guy is why
>>
>>47280480
Yeah, and they're all shit
>>
File: gss.jpg (40 KB, 375x480) Image search: [Google]
gss.jpg
40 KB, 375x480
>>47280547
O-Okay
>>
>>47280574
Exhibit fucking A.
>>
>>47280445
Here's your (You), faggot

Stop biting the bait, it's probably some grognard bitching under the guise of b8posting so he can draw people into an unwinnable argument

"RPGs all suck."
"Anon here's some good ones"
"They all suck"

Rinse and repeat. Escape while you can.
>>
>>47280586
What?
>>
The 2000s are over, the d20 system can't hurt you anymore, op
>>
File: Bad Man.jpg (39 KB, 459x828) Image search: [Google]
Bad Man.jpg
39 KB, 459x828
>>47280663
Its time for healing.

Come on OP, show us where the D&D touched you and we'll talk it out.
>>
D&D is the last thing a grognard would complain about, you boobs
>>
>>47280737
The most notable thing that happened to rpgs in 2000 was the release of 3rd edition along with the Open Game License. The early 2000s were a hellish nightmarescape of third party d20 games.
>>
Mongoose Traveller was published in 2007 though

>an oboe
>>
>>47280779
>be me
>be in year 2k
>be playing AD&D with my friends
>hear about a new version that just came out
>"Eh, we already know how to play 2E"
>too busy having fun to bother with d20
>never pick it up
>>
>the year RPGs saw a revival and the gaming population exploded in size

>died

It's funny, because your hatred 3rd edition has grown to the level where your irrationality manages to actually invert facts.
>>
File: Change.jpg (68 KB, 600x466) Image search: [Google]
Change.jpg
68 KB, 600x466
>>47281639
Ayy
>>
>>47280445
Mu.
>>
>>47280779
The most notable thing to happen to RPGs in the 2000s was the sudden popularity of d&d video games, which flooded the hobby with CRPG fans, who tend to be lonely autists willing to swallow anything if it had somewhat passable writing attached to it. 3e's CCG-based design merely sealed the deal.
>>
>>47281940
^ pretty much this. This, and the OGL.
>>
>>47281940
>>47281992
Wow, you grognards are still bitter, sixteen years later?

It's hard to find a sadder existence than yours.
>>
File: 1463271181255.jpg (178 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1463271181255.jpg
178 KB, 960x720
>>47280480
This- being a nerd has never been better, i live in nottingham and we have 6 comic shops, warhammer world and warlord games and so many pub nights for MtG and tabletop games/board games. Its a golden age
>>
>>47282014
>*world games, narrativist fagfeasts and transsexualism as far as the eye can see!
>>
>>47282008
Touched a sore spot I see.
>>
>>47282106
>the ol' 'YOU'RE UPSET, NOT ME' response

Why so resistant to change? Even your replies are outdated.
>>
>>47282008
Yours probably qualifies.
>>
>>47282039
>thousands working on OSR clones
>online proliferation of old school modules and ported material for every edition of most every game
>BUT, because someone, somewhere, is having fun I don't like, it ruins my enjoyment of things that have nothing to do with them

Stay classy, my murderhoboing friend.
>>
>>47282137
At least I'm not still lamenting a change of system two editions later. Moving on does wonders for not being a sad little grognard.

Honestly, it's hard to imagine something more pathetic.
>>
>>47282120
Change to what? Kiddies unable to comprehend that you could perform actions not explicitly spelled out on your character sheet, new DMs running literal hack and slash campaigns that fall apart if you don't stay on the rails, autistic morons who treated roleplaying like a math competition being vindicated by 3e? There were always bad players and bad games but after ID and BG the community literally turned to shit. The blooming of other rpg brands that happened around that time was fueled in part by the hordes of people bailing d&d. You can see the ironic inversion of the same event in the publication of 4e ushering the rise of Tardfinder.
>>
>>47280445
The LotR movies made high fantasy mainstream.
>>
>>47282173
Yeah, you definitively qualify.
>>
File: 1454763646981.jpg (51 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1454763646981.jpg
51 KB, 625x626
>>47280445
>>
>>47282210
>this mad
>>
>>47282210
>DMs running literal hack and slash campaigns that fall apart if you don't stay on the rails
How's that indicative of 2000's gaming?
>>
>>47282210
>new DMs running literal hack and slash campaigns that fall apart if you don't stay on the rails, autistic morons who treated roleplaying like a math competition being vindicated by 3e?

Man, that started back in 2e, and the whole "RPG tourney" scene actually was nearly dead around the time 3 came to be. In fact, most of the RPG community was on its last limbs around that time, and were it not for 3e, it might have remained the incredibly niche hobby it was instead of blooming into the massive community which contained players of every type you could imagine.

Hate all you want, but roleplaying games owe a debt to 3rd edition that make your continued saltiness embarrassing to witness, because you genuinely believe the lies you've been telling yourself in your damp and lonely basement.
>>
>>47280445
Because you touched yourself.
>>
>>47280445
Why?
>>
>>47280445
Because it was the year you were born.
>>
>>47282120
>the ol' 'YOU'RE UPSET, NOT ME' response

I prefer calling it lolumad
>>
>>47286581
you just reminded me that 2000 was 16 years ago.
goddamnit.
>>
You're the kind of dumbass who's upset that narrativist and story games are super popular, while forgetting that old school and traditional RPGs are just as popular and the pool of people playing both kinds of games is larger than ever.

More kinds of games aren't a problem.
>>
>>47280574
That's seriously the best exam of a good modern rpg you can think of?
>>
>>47281940
Is this some grognardier version of the 4e MMO thing?
>>
>>47282305
I'd disagree with you, but man, it has gotten a lot of replies.
>>
>>47280663
Pathfinder is still a thing.
>>
I've noticed an almost steady decline in the variety of games people find acceptable for the last ten or so years.

People used to be OK with something odd, like an underdark based game or something rooted in history, but it seems more and more people just insult anything that's not a by the book dungeon crawl or someone's flavorless homebrew setting that's yet another iteration of (not)Europe.
>>
>>47289625
Nah, that would be calling 3e the Diablo 2 edition.

Which turned out to be a valid description, what with the noob trap minefields, martials sucking ass on higher difficulty levels and bad math across the board. So, actually it was the opposite, I guess.
>>
>>47280737
Nah, D&D is exactly the sort of thing a grognard would complain about.

Source: I am a grognard and I complain about D&D from time to time.

3.x and its derivatives are a boring cancer on the world, 4e was a goofy miniatures game, and 5e is possibly the most lifeless fantasy game I've experienced firsthand.
>>
File: Mini Six.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mini Six.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47288689
not him, but what about this?
>>
>>47281667
Like it or not, WotC very nearly killed RPGs, but not in 2000. Their golden goose, a little card game called Magic the Gathering (perhaps you've heard of it?) was so popular that it warped the behavior of the distributors, causing them to ignore *everyone else* in the industry for about a year, starting in 1994. If you were in the RPG or boardgame business you were getting no traction with the distributors, and if you were a store you were spending your entire budget on MtG.

Stores still survived, but the greed caused a domino effect among distributors, killing most of them.

So what, you ask, saved the game producers? This thing you are using *right now* did. This World Wide Web thingy.

Some didn't make it out of the 90s alive, of course. TSR is the elephant in the room, but GDW also collapsed, and several other companies with long histories in the RPG business attempted to copy the success of MtG. While only a few were good, they all served to distract the companies even more.

Then WotC did two things to SAVE RPGs, after nearly killing them. One was lauded at the time, while the other was reviled. It is ironic that the opinions regarding these two moves would now be reversed.

First, the bought TSR and revived D&D, adding a legal framework, the OGL, for what the entire industry had generally been doing anyway. Lauded at the time, we now see this as a collection of good and bad decisions.

The other thing WotC did, reviled as the nastiest competition killer they could have come up with, was to Patent the tapping mechanism at the heart of MtG. The many CCGs created to ride the wave all but vanished overnight. A few worded their way around the patent and kept going, but the other companies who had a history in RPGs went back to them, riding the wave of the OGL as well as ignoring it, and RPGs were practically Born Again.
>>
>>47288361
while you are correct, finding people who aren't total D-bags is still a big issue.
>>
>>47280445
Because the cocktail that was internet ubiquity and the OGL collided on such a shitty system built under such shitty MTG-inspired design choices that it changed "the community's" collective understanding of what constitutes an RPG into something much, much, shittier.
>>
>>47293639
Wow, you are amazing how retarded you are.
Basically, you're running entirely on stupid. You hate two games, and instead of basing your opinions on facts, you are basing your "facts" on your opinions.

Your story is cute, but very far off the mark. Your "MTG choked the RPG market" myth is even sillier than the "D&D choked the RPG market" myth, which is already a joke, and comes from an incredibly naive understanding of how stores and their merchandise works.

Also, as far as patenting "tapping", they only patented the name and symbol. Turning cards sideways to signify they were being used could not be copyrighted and never was. Games made before and after used "tapping" freely, but just with their own names for it and their own symbols.

Really, all you've got is a silly story that reads like what someone who's bitter about Wizards being successful with two franchise cobbled together out of myths and rumors he's half-remembered.
>>
because it got filled with narrative indie games that are more concerned about telling stories than figuring out your Anal Circumference statistic and how to best min max it.

OH WAIT THAT MADE PEOPLE LIKE THEM MORE
>>
>>47293233
I do love that game. And I should clarify that I think we are in the best time for tabletop gaming in its history. My jaw just hit the floor when he defended our position with that game out of the hundreds of better ones.
>>
RPGs seem better than ever honestly. If anything, this is the Golden Age.
>>
>>47294952
Insult all you like, but I watched it happen.

WotC didn't try to kill the rest of the industry, they just handed it the gun. ONE North American distributor survived, and they got bought by a comics distributor. That wasn't healthy for gaming either. Comics distro operates on the idea that anything older than six months isn't worth re-ordering; it took years to break Diamond of that habit when they acquired Alliance. All the distro competition you see now arose after the bloodletting.
>>
>>47294952
>as far as patenting "tapping", they only patented the name and symbol. Turning cards sideways to signify they were being used could not be copyrighted and never was. Games made before and after used "tapping" freely, but just with their own names for it and their own symbols.
Yes, the companies that realized that kept going. it's why L5R and Shadowfist persisted. The rest gave up, though. CCGs didn't start to expand again until the patent expired.

I know, the idea that games designers might not have a clue about IP law is novel to you in these days of ready internet advice, but the Web was very young and very different in the 90s.
>>
>>47294952
>an incredibly naive understanding of how stores and their merchandise works.
Now, maybe. Direct sales to stores didn't exist at the time. The GW and WotC Direct programs were a reaction to how shitty distro got in the late 90s. I know publishers from that period who were hearing fans lament at conventions that they hadn't produced anything new recently *while standing at a table of new product*. Product the distributors didn't care about because it wasn't a CCG.

The distributors are not now and never have been altruists. They like money. That *was* their downfall in 95. Why take in a shipment of books, break it up into stock numbers, then pull store orders over a couple days when you can receive a pallet of MtG from one truck, slide it onto another truck headed for a lucky store, and pocket the markup in about five minutes. or better yet, sell it to some desperate store for retail, getting two markup steps.

I don't hate WotC, or I didn't back then. MtG was my crack of choice and I was an old D&Der so their revival of it was a blessing after TSR went tits up.
>>
>>47296127
It seemed like the stores in my area that went out of business after MtG became the thing died because they couldn't compete with the customer service of the MtG only stores that started popping up. Three went down here, and all of them just wanted to sell starters and boosters straight out of the box.

Meanwhile, the MtG players that opened stores would buy/sell/trade in singles or whole collections, sold all the little strange CCGs the other stores never heard of, had five tables to play at rather the one the other places had, always someone there to play against, sold sodas and snacks... And of course they didn't treat MtG players like filthy animals once they had their money in hand, like the grognards at the other stores did. Of four stores I used to go to the only one that survived the 90s was mostly a comics store, so losing some of their gamers for a few years didn't hurt them as bad.

Not saying there weren't other factors in play, as I don't know how the industry worked, but just saying the ones I saw die out had it coming.
>>
>>47296320
Certainly the stores that couldn't or wouldn't adapt suffered, but that had been the case before. We had stores come and go, but if anything the earlier advent of 40k had prepared the retail market for in-store play as an idea. One of my locals had no room for in-store play, but instead struck up relationships with nearby pizza joints, and filled them with MtG players.

Our local historicals store was bemused by the wave of Magic, but was adaptable enough to sell it with a straight face. I remember standing in line for an hour there for a shot at Legends boxes. You had to buy Legends by the box and hope you got both halves of the Uncommons.

My immediate friends and I recovered from the height of the madness shortly thereafter, aided by the change in the community wrought by the launch of the pro league. "Fun" Magic died and serious business took its place. Then in-store organized play *really* took off.
>>
>>47280445

probably because the apocalypse happened

oh wait it didn't you're retarded
>>
>>47282014
Gee, i envy you, i love page 45.

Birmingham just has one game shop, that can hardly be called friendly, a forbidden planet and a comic shop thats owned by forbidden planet.
>>
>>47296786
>probably because punctuation happened
>oh wait it didn't you're retarded
>>
>>47293639
>GDW also collapsed
GDW collapsed because TSR legally raped them over Dangerous Journeys.
>>
>>47295895
>this is the Golden Age
Why would you think that?
>>
>>47297102
When else have you ever been so righteously reminded on every single character sheet that your character can be transgressive, androgynous or concealing?
>>
Are we being raised by /v/?
>>
>>47288689
What's wrong with it?
>>
File: Mount-Stupid.gif (32 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
Mount-Stupid.gif
32 KB, 500x664
>>47295900
>>47295954
>>47296127
I think this is a symptom of people reinforcing each others opinions somewhere, somewhere where facts can't reach them.

What general are you guys are part of? Are you just the three GURPS guys who go around looking for threads where they can complain about WotC?

To start, if something sells well, that's good for the store. It's not a zero sum game kids, and the profits from MTG would help allow the store to keep operating to sell everything else. You should be thanking MTG for helping stores survive.

Second, the "tapping patent stopped other CCG's" is so silly, that it sounds like the shouts of someone from the top of mount stupid. Congrats, you know about that obscure little factoid, but maybe you should learn more about it instead of just using it to fuel your little vendetta.
>>
File: Jefferson-Davis.jpg (51 KB, 534x253) Image search: [Google]
Jefferson-Davis.jpg
51 KB, 534x253
>>47299004
But the American civil war was about state rights. Slavery only became an issue when the northern leadership found out they could fuck up the south bad if they made slavery an issue.
>>
>>47290147
That's kind of the only possible measure.
>>
>>47296839
I visited Wayland's Forge, it wasn't that unfriendly.
>>
>>47299004
You are near the top of the mountain right now
>>
>>47299114
This guy honestly believes that if the South had given up its slaves on its own anti-federalist terms, the North would have made the civil war about tailgating or cousin-fucking.
>>
>>47290208
I notice this too.
People are getting incredibly echo-chambery with their tastes, and they have piles of triggers and red flags dictating their actions these days.

Can't have anything interesting, risky, or out of the ordinary, everything has to be committee designed to not offend any of the easily offendable grognards out there.

And the list of things that offend them is so long, too. Anime. Sandboxes. Railroading. Narrativism. Gamism. Anything but their special favorite game type, really.
>>
File: Lincoln.jpg (5 KB, 196x257) Image search: [Google]
Lincoln.jpg
5 KB, 196x257
>>47299646
SATURDAY, APRIL 27, 1861.
By the President of the United States:
A PROCLAMATION.

Whereas, The laws of the United States have been for some time past and now are opposed, and the execution thereof obstructed, in the States of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, by combinations too powerful to be suppressed by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, or by the powers vested in the Marshals by law :

Now, therefore, I, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President of the United States, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution and the laws, have thought fit to call forth, and hereby do call forth, the Militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of 75,000, in order to suppress said combinations, and to cause the laws to be duly executed. The details for this object will be immediately communicated to the State authorities through the War Department.

I appeal to all loyal citizens to favor, facilitate,

and aid this effort to maintain the honor, the integrity, and the existence of our National Union and the perpetuity of popular government, and to redress wrongs already long enough endured.

(cont.)
>>
>>47299758

I deem it proper to say that the first service assigned to the force hereby called forth will probably be to repossess the forts, places, and property which have been seized from the Union, and, in every event, the utmost care will be observed, consistently with the objects aforesaid, to avoid any devastation, any destruction of, or interference with property, or any disturbance of peaceful citizens in any part of the country; and I hereby command the persons composing the combinations aforesaid to disperse and retire peaceably to their respective abodes within twenty days from this date.

Deeming that the present condition of public affairs presents an extraordinary occasion, I do, hereby, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution, convene both Houses of Congress. The Senators and Representatives are therefore summoned to assemble at their respective chambers at twelve o'clock, noon, on Thursday, the fourth day of July next, then and there to consider and determine such measures as, in their wisdom, the public safety and interest may seem to demand.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this fifteenth day of April, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one, and of the independence of the United States the eighty-fifth.
>>
>>47281639

AD&D had wonderful settings and TSR did adventure modules right.

Shame it was a wonky ass mess in a lot of ways.

Fighters at a certain point always hit everything all the time forever.

Different races had absurdly low level caps compared to humans.

THAC0 was and still remains a retarded mechanic.

3e was an improvement in a lot of ways and worse in many ways too.

4e was balanced but also didn't really sit well with me. I didn't care for the system on a whole.

5e was probably the amalgamation of all the systems. It still has flaws, because all systems do, but it has the least amount of flaws and is pretty damn balanced while offering a lot of opportunities for good role play. It also helps that the Player's Handbook has the most player options right out of the gate compared to every other D&D edition to extend the life of the game and bloat is being kept in check pretty well too.
>>
File: 1458514501419.png (732 KB, 1123x1082) Image search: [Google]
1458514501419.png
732 KB, 1123x1082
>>47299864
>5e was probably the amalgamation of all the systems. It still has flaws, because all systems do, but it has the least amount of flaws and is pretty damn balanced while offering a lot of opportunities for good role play. It also helps that the Player's Handbook has the most player options right out of the gate compared to every other D&D edition to extend the life of the game and bloat is being kept in check pretty well too.

But it came to late. The mess that 4e and Pathfinder left was a fragmantaion of the RPG community. Before you could walk into any store and find a 3e gaming group. Now not so much.

On the other side it we have a lot more to choose from. Different tastes are adressed.

The history of TT RPGs reminds me somehow Roman history. The Republic went into Empiremode (AD&D-->3e). The empire tried to reform itself but failed and went down. Eastrome still keeps the old ways (PF). While in the former western roman empire small and medium states rise and fall, fighting for land and resources (player).
>>
>>47296906
TSR won, but then had to *buy* all remaining DJ stock from GDW. It drained their time, but was ultimately not as bad as it could have been since it was more a hate suit against Gygax than anything else.

What finally got GDW and TSR was, again, a reaction to distro going bad. They both tried the regular booksellers route and got badly burned by the differences.
>>
>>47299758
>>47299770
Sick rebuttal. I especially like the utter irrelevance.
>>
>>47299864
>Fighters at a certain point always hit everything all the time forever.
Pretty sure that was the point.
>>
>>47280445
>I'm pissed off, or feeling smug, probably about some shitty edition of D&D, and now I make sweeping statements about the entire hobby based on it.

Please take a long walk off a short pier. Role-playing has never been better off, there are more games catering to every style of play than ever before.

When I started playing role-playing games, you played one of 3 games made by the same company, because that's all there was, domestically.

Now I can spend ten minutes and download 10 different rpgs, from dungeoncrawlers to super autistic weapon wanking or rules lights and high-concept indie rpgs.

How am I worse off than now? The only thing I personally think has gotten worse is the player base on average, because a lot more people just view it as a game than back when I got started, when it was more about the fiction, but that's my personal, subjective opinion, they're allowed to play games the way they want, and I'm perfectly capable of playing with like-minded people.

If you're trying to make a point, just fucking tell people what it is in the op so we can explain why you're wrong.
>>
>>47280445
Why was [arbitrary year] the year [thing I enjoy] died?
>>
>>47282039
Gotta love those systems where you roll to check your privilege.
>>
>>47299946
The state of D&D is not the state of role-playing though.

Wizards is like the Games Workshop of role-playing. Them declining as their expansion grinds to a halt and getting some competition, or even having their shit pushed in by the barbarians is not a bad thing for role-players, just for D&D fans.
>>
>>47301199
>When I started playing role-playing games, you played one of 3 games made by the same company, because that's all there was, domestically.
Where the hell did you start out? 1975 USA?
>>
>>47301247
Try 80s Sweden. No thriving internet community, small player base. Before the explosion with Drakar och Demoner it was slim pickings.

Not that it really mattered because you used whatever rules the friend with the books had, and you played whatever you wanted with them.

Then of course, 1989 hit and the scene exploded with Drakar och Demoner, but it was still very much about one company putting out all the systems that were popular, and importing books was not common.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 300x168
>>47280445
This is actually coming from a dude who never has played a RPG in that same year of all things and spent too much time playing more RPG-less related games instead
>>
>>47283417
This man speaks truth.
>>
>>47301312
>importing books was not common.
Apparently Traveller got imported by Hobbyhuset in Uppsala in '84, at least according to JTAS 21.
>>
>>47301517
Yes, that's true, but since this was 84 most kids were still limited to what was actually sold in the stores they frequented.

I grew up in a town on Ă–land.

I got my role-playing games in a generic toy store on the mainland that I had to go 40 miles by bus or car to reach, as an example. Today I can just order a pdf within a couple of minutes from making the decision, no problem. Back then you made do, and meeting other people with similar interests some times meant learning about entire systems you didn't know existed, because the hobby was so compartmentalized. You didn't have the big unifying internet hivemind where everyone got exposed to all the options.
>>
>>47282305

But does it have menacing spikes?
>>
>>47301312

Why would you want anything but '84 Mutant?
>>
>>47302032
See, that's the thing! I didn't even know about Mutant until I had been playing Kult and Drakar & Demoner for years.
>>
>>47302128

>Kult

Min neger.
>>
>>47298893
Damn near everything. I am hard pressed to pick one thing I like.
>>
>>47280445

Four things.

1) Dot com crash: nerds had far less disposable income. The days when you could fuck around at work like that and still get promotions and raises were over.

2) The goth craze went downhill. Goth in the 80's was quirky. In the 90's, it was sexy. By the 2000's, the landwhale invasion was well under way. Vampire the Masquerade was and remains the only RPG where hot non-nerd girls were a continuing part of the player scene. When goth went out of style, so did gothic RPGs.

3) D&D 3.x. I love D&D3, don't get me wrong. Played a ton of it. Still like it. But for the ten years when TSR was going through its death throes, you had a whole galaxy of alternative RPGs that were changing how people thought about gaming and playing, and offering vibrant alternative settings. D&D's such a 600 lb gorilla that it sucked all the oxygen out of the RPG room. You've got a ton of games now, but none really has managed to get the kind of traction that a game could get in the 90's.

4) World of Warcraft. Speaking of 600lb gorillas sucking all the oxygen out of the room. WoW sucked gamers out of tabletop and into computer gaming for years. Its influence created D&D4th, a game that sucked the role-playing and story out of the RPGs, undoing the work that Call of Cthulu and VtM had done raising storytelling standards in the 90's.

So there you go.
>>
File: William_Tecumseh_Sherman.jpg (2 MB, 1848x2364) Image search: [Google]
William_Tecumseh_Sherman.jpg
2 MB, 1848x2364
>>47299114
Go back to Dixie before we burn it down again, you cousin-fucking racist asswad.
>>
>>47299114
>someone didn't read the Cornerstone Speech by Alex H. Stephens
when will people ever read the fucking Cornerstone Speech?
>>
Hey guys what's up
>>
>>47280480
/thread

Dunno why thread shat out a lot of scrap code after this post though?
>>
>>47302608
#yankeelivesmatter #smashtheconfederarchy
>>
>>47302576
>undoing the work that Call of Cthulu and VtM had done raising storytelling standards in the 90's

Didn't have to try that hard, since it was basically fucking nothing.
>>
So this is just a general critique of pop culture, but RPGs occupy the same general headspace so it's somewhat relevant.

I think Western fictional narratives since the end of the 90s have become more about signifying to audience expectations rather than an artistic expression for them to interpret. This has sort of fucked with inspiration and creativity in general and why you see endless rehashings of done-to-death mediocre shit and a overall lack of originality everywhere.
>>
>>47280574
I wonder how that thing is. Sounds fun for something lighthearted and silly, like Maid RPG, but with less lewd.
>>
>>47280445
Hi /v/
Go back to your shithole
>>
>>47303000
Shut up Jackson, nobody likes you
>>
Same reason the living room, TV, Republicans, offensive humor, going outside, arab monarchies, and anime died in the 2000's

the internet
>>
>>47304366
It's kinda less ecchi comedy, more My Neighbor Totoro the RPG. You gain points for being warm, kind, and compassionate. You're a magical animal who pretty much goes around helping the needy, not by killing the goblins in the cave but by helping the little boy make up with his stepmother after he ran away from home.
>>
>>47304484
Doesn't sound that bad. Could be fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 758x759) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 758x759
>>47282210
>>
>>47288207
>tfw first grade was 16 years ago
I'm getting old, man.
>>
>>47282014
How do I even know there is such things near where I live?
>>
File: 1463287318664.png (580 KB, 1000x686) Image search: [Google]
1463287318664.png
580 KB, 1000x686
>>47304366
I don't know why it gets that much flak here. I like it. It is basically 'comfy the RPG'.

I play it with my GF and her friends. I tried to get them into Pathfinder but the they simply couldn't dig into the rules and disliked the general "Let's go into that dungeon and kill everything!" storyline.

Tired GSS and it worked wonders. They where really invested in it. The last adventure I gave them was this:

Like every year the town makes a tanabata feast. With tipical stands and so on. But the son of an old man couldn't make it in the last minute. And the stand of this family was stored on a hill. the old man couldn't find a last minute help to carry the stuff and build it and because of that he was pretty down. The players decided to help and build that stand over night.

The twist in this setting is that the players are in the first place animal. Think like animal, act like animals, but can change into more or less human form.

The adventures doesn't take long. 1-2 hours. But at the end we all have WAFF.

So jeah I like it. I will play it with my GF and her friends and I can imagine it will also work for children. Is it for everyone? No definetly not.
>>
>>47304967
>tfw you were entering the job market when this anon who's feeling old was starting first grade
>>
File: 1454098302120.jpg (157 KB, 1049x967) Image search: [Google]
1454098302120.jpg
157 KB, 1049x967
>>47302608
>cousin-fucking
There is literally nothing wrong with that!
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.