[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Game of Crones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 400x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 400x322
Following a historical thread about "derivative settings" ("how similar can we make it to an existing work by masking it with a different aesthetic"), an idea which was raised and I still find interesting:

What if instead of being inspired by War of the Roses Britain, "A Song of Ice and Fire" was inspired by the Novgorod Republic?
>>
File: 1409784644433.jpg (431 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
1409784644433.jpg
431 KB, 1200x1000
>Less nobility
>More traders
>Less population in general
>The 7 kingdoms are still real independent kingdoms
>One of them wants to conquer them all

Also: Build wall against moscovit scum
>>
>>47279555
You'd have the Witcher novels.
>>
>>47279764
Aren't those in Sarmatia?
>>
>>47279734
So, Westeros at the start of Aegon's Conquest?
>>
>>47279555
>Novgorod Republic
Don't you mean Kievan Rus'?
>>
>>47279734
No. Build wall against Tatars. In medieval Russia, Tatars are always scum (in this context, kind of a weird cross between Dothraki and Wildmen).
>>
>>47279764
Difference is Witcher is very high fantasy (ubiquitous magic and monsters - it's basically the case study on how to make high fantasy feel dark) while ASoIaF at least starts fairly low.
>>
>>47280008
>how to make high fantasy feel dark
>what is Warhammer
>>
>>47280209
Grimdark. Dark meets goofy.
>>
>>47280008

Melissandre does more magic in a single book than Gandalf in the whole LOTR
>>
>>47280266
But we're talking about The Witcher.
>>
>>47279764
Witcher is about Western Europe
>>
>>47280386
And the Lord of The Rings isn't?
>>
>>47280407
He is asking about ASoIF set in Novgorod Republic/Kievan Rus. Witcher novels and LoTR aren't related to Rus in any way.
>>
>Tsar's Landing
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (245 KB, 1920x806) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
245 KB, 1920x806
>>47279555
Laketown was the only good part of the Hobbit movies.

Maybe riddles in the dark.

But mainly Laketown.
>>
What houses are you gonna use?
>>
>>47279555
>warring Chud, Slavs and other Finno-Ugric tribes invite Rurik to unite them and establish order
>he comes with two beautiful sisters and 3 zmeys
>>
>>47280532
>Chud, Slavs and other Finno-Ugric tribes
good one
>>
Khaleesisa Preskeryana?
>>
>>47280564
Aerys the Terrible
>>
Tyrion is now a Jew named Moishik
>>
>>47280695
>Jews
>in Novgorod

Nigger you retarded?
>>
>half the people of the kingdom are living in the haunted forest
>but it's managable because all the zombies are eaten by bears
>>
>>47279555

>War of the Roses Britain, "A Song of Ice and Fire" was inspired by the Novgorod Republic?

Winters a shit

Summers a shit

Steppes a shit

Forests a shit

Mountains a shit

Hordes a shit

Wildlife a shit

Nobles a shit

Raiders a shit

Baba Yaga is love

Baba Yaga is life

Baba Yaga is also a shit

>>47280767
Novogorod wouldn't be the Westerlands, but King's landingesque
>>
>>47280786
Clearly House Ruryk's shtick is turning into bears
>>
>>47280767
Novgorod was the Russian city of merchants. Do the maths
>>
>>47280876
would be a cool plot hook

not!jewish merchants come into the city and the pcs have to work through the conspiracies and find out if they actually are smuggling in fake coins or not, or if someone is actually shoving the blame onto them
>>
>>47280331
Except for the part where you said "while ASoIaF at least starts fairly low [on the magical fantasy scale]".
>>
>>47280786
Zombie bears are canon so I wouldn't get too comfortable.
>>
>>47280804
There's no surer sign of a wannabe knowledgeable faggot who's learned everything they know about Russia from fucking RPG supplements than a loud insistence on the importance and/or "awesomeness" of Baba Yaga.

The woman's a fucking fairytale character. One of a great many. Not even the most famous, important, popular or interesting one. Her "central place" in Russian folklore and culture is literally a fucking meme started by lazy fantasy writers, comic book artists and RPG makers who couldn't be assed to do more than that tiny bit of research, and it's self-perpetuating among uneducated niggers because one uneducated nigger reads in their D&D books that she's the fucking patron saint of all things Russian, not realizing that the guy who wrote his D&D book also originally read it from an older D&D book, going all the way back to some proto-uneducated nigger who chose her at random instead of Ilya Tsarevitch or Dobrynya Nikitich, who never made it into a fucking video game.

How many fairytales featuring Baba Yaga do you actually know, without Googling it? Or is it just some fake idea that all of Russian legends revolve around her? Do you realize the fucking absurdity of this? It's as if everyone just "knew" (and shared that fact as if from a position of knowledge) that Odysseus is the hero of Greek mythology.
>>
>>47281538
This

t. Russian
>>
>>47281538
>Ilya Tsarevitch or Dobrynya Nikitich
It wasn't chosen at random, Baba Yaga is easier to pronounce. That's all there is to it.
>>
File: geroi_8.jpg (227 KB, 1600x1060) Image search: [Google]
geroi_8.jpg
227 KB, 1600x1060
>Ilya Tsarevitch
That's Ilya Muromets for you, you non-bogatyr!

Or Ivan Tsarevitch. They are very different.
>>
>>47281589
What kind of stuttering bongo do you have to be to not be able to pronounce "Ilya"?
>>
>>47281592
Depends on where in Russia you're from. One of the problems of the country being so large is that at some point every village gets their own version of every fairytale and since everyone is an Ivan or an Ilya it tends to get mixed.
>>
>>47281538
>being this autismal about a joke
yikes lad
>>
>>47281606
Either that or Anonski's grandma is senile.

You can recognize a proper Russian house by the grandma sleeping on the couch in the middle of the living room, occasionally waking up to say something wrong about the past.
>>
>>47281617
>A Russian with no sense of humor
In other news, rain: wet.
>>
>>47281595
The same kind that thinks Baba Yaga is the central piece of all Russian culture.
Besides, I think the tough part of the name is Tsarevitch, not Ilya.
>>
>>47280497
And they still:
Gave it a music theme that started awesome and turned into genericness^100
Made their equipment look retarded
The main "baddies" there were also tropey as fuck
>>
>>47281814
The Hobbit films were not very good films.
>>
>>47281620
>"Grandma is waking up!"
>"I remember Stalin went by the name of The Moustache by night and beating up capitalists left and right, and nobody knows about it."
>>
>>47281620
The real hardcore have grandmas so old they don't even remember the name of oblast they were born in. Nine times out of ten they will mumble toothelessly about how their seventeen sisters were all raped to death by cossacks.
>>
>>47280386
Witcher is about central europe
>>
>>47281538
I think the thing that makes her so memorable for western audiences is the fact that she is so different from comparable characters we have here in the west. Our witches arent as lively in folklore tales.

I learned abou her from my grandma btw, not from some fantasy supplement>>47281538
>>
>>47281538
DA

t. Ruski
>>
ITT: Russians being Russian
>>
>>47283963
And presumebly some angry American with pretensions.
>>
Bears instead of wolves
>>
>>47279555
Man, Kievan Rus' is such a based low fantasy setting.
You have polytheistic paganism as the main religion, you have excellent fantastic lore, you have a conflict between different local feudals - it's glorious.
If you want an authentic experience of Kievan Rus', read The Tale of Igor's Campaign and The Tale of Bygone Years. They are amazing as fuck.
>>
>>47288757
Actually, medieval Russia suits a high fantasy setting far better than medieval Britain. It's one of the scant few things 7th Sea actually got right about it - the land is STEEPED in mysticism. The earth is alive. The animals talk. If I made A Game of Russian Thrones, magic (at least low type magic like divinations and such) would be way more common than in Westeros.
>>
>>47279883

In medieval Russia Tatars are overlords.
>>
>>47279883
>>47289225
Medieval Russia is like 2000 years, many people are overlords and many people are scum.
>>
File: noidea.gif (2 MB, 374x300) Image search: [Google]
noidea.gif
2 MB, 374x300
>>47289251
>Medieval Russia is like 2000 years
>Middle Ages only lasted around a thousand years
>>
>>47289320
Medieval Russia is eternal, infinite.
>>
>>47289320
>Middle Ages only lasted around a thousand years
That's in those places they ended
Russia still waiting
>>
>>47280266
>shoots lightning out of his sword
>summons giant eagle
>resurrects himself (okay fine he didn't cause that but whatever)
>spooks the Nazguls with magics
>makes the huntsmen's weapons useless
>Shadowfax
>casts light
>sustains as a minor like the entire time they're in Moria
>magic fireworks
>wizard fight with Saruman

C'mon, dude, you know that's nonsense.
>>
>>47289514
b-but le gandalf level 5 sorcerer memeay
>>
>>47289539
What's that from?
>>
File: Seligman.png (31 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
Seligman.png
31 KB, 500x349
>>47289843
Dragon Magazine issue 5, "Gandalf Was only A Level 5 M-U"

The meme is 40 years by now.
>>
File: Russia RPG.png (52 KB, 813x664) Image search: [Google]
Russia RPG.png
52 KB, 813x664
>>47281538
What do yo think of this screencap? Better?
>>
You know Chinese history in the 19th century? That's the fate of Earth in this SPAAAACE campaign.
>>
What would be the opposing forces in this setting, instead of fire and ice? Sky and earth? Clean and dirty?
>>
>>47291131
That's a dark fucking setting.
>>
File: Zmej.jpg (341 KB, 1024x1380) Image search: [Google]
Zmej.jpg
341 KB, 1024x1380
One interesting aspect of this is the magic/mythical beings. GRRM drew very strongly on traditional European folklore/mythology for this stuff; he didn't just do elves/dwarves/orcs. The giants, the CotF, and the Others in his stories have a lot of Celtic/Nordic inspiration.

But if he did a series steeped in Russian history/folklore, presumably that would change. The CotF would be more like the Slavic leshii or vila or something, maybe a mix of the two. The dragons would probably be more like the Slavic zmej, multi-headed and associated with storms/lightning more than fire. I'm not sure what the giants would be like; giants aren't a major fixture of Russian folklore. Wargs would probably be largely the same, as animal control/shapeshifting was a big thing in many Russian tales. The Others/wights would probably be more like upirs/vampires.
>>
File: wolxgaimikula-i-1.bilibin.jpg (199 KB, 580x791) Image search: [Google]
wolxgaimikula-i-1.bilibin.jpg
199 KB, 580x791
>>47293043
There are giants. The oldest bogatyrs are all giants like Sviatogor or Mikula Selyaninovich. They are beings close to earth and elements.
>>
>>47289222
>the land is STEEPED in mysticism. The earth is alive. The animals talk.
Could you expand on that, please?
>>
>>47292184
Vodka and Babuskha
>>
>>47292184
Bolshevism and the Tsar
>>
>>47296298
You're like 800 years too early for that...
>>
>>47296484
The struggle against classism is eternal, comrade.
>>
>>47292184
It's less clear cut, but going by Russian mythology and symbolism I would say Earth and Water. Though keep in mind that both also have a lot of positive connotations and that mud ("moist mother earth") is considered even better. It stands for life.
>>
>>47282436
This made me laugh way harder than it had any right to.
>>
>>47292184
Natural things and unnatural things (undead, lovecraftian horrors from the beyond, gays)
>>
>>47282436
>>47297067
What's real depressing is that grandma's probably right
>>
Where the fuck do I even start with Russian folklore, Anonovich? I know fuck all about it, but it seems incredibly interesting and I want to learn more.
>>
>>47279555

Do you know much about the Novgorod Republic? I know a fair deal about the Novgorod Republic.mi dug in the Novgorod Republic. I could maybe answer some questions about the Novgorod Republic if you're interested.

(It is called Lord Novgorod the Great by the way. Not the Novgorod Republic. That's some Lyach-sounding nonsense.)

That being said isn't Norvos a grotesque caricature of Novgorod? Bearded men with axes. Dancing bears. Inland trading city. Supreme ruler is a priest.

Also - for proper Game of Thrones you really should do the full pre-Mongol Kievan Rus. It was a very interesting setting in its own right, and Novgorod was just one part of it, if one of the more interesting ones. Could say more about it too, though my memory is less fresh. Read Karamzin if you find him in translation. Klyuchevsky.
>>
>>47297236

I live here and I have no idea. Just read some fairy tales. Maybe read some of Pushkin's fairy tales, they're not folklore but they are based on it and have influenced how much of it is perceived. Look up paintings?
>>
All you dudes about Russian mythology this, Russian folklore that: you realize Game of Thrones isn't exactly Celtic folklore galore, right? No reason Game of Samovars here has to be all that authentic. It's more about the culture and history. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it had the same dragons, Children of Forest, giants, etc.

Maybe just dress them up right or something. Dragons in Russian mythology are usually (not always, but usually) multiheaded and almost always (there are very rare exceptions) intelligent, so yeah, maybe change this. But the other things? No reason for that.

Maybe add a race of domovoi. They're like tiny little dwarfs who do the housework, like British brownies. They are married to a ratlike woman called kikimora.

So in the Game of Thrones setting, probably they're just a race of hairy primitive midgets of some kind who were traditionally enslaved by taiga humans. Or if you want to go more mystical, domovoi are like this, but still have magic powers. However they are very servile. Kinda like elves from Harry Potter (but not so stupidly powerful).
>>
>>47297243
How is the caricature grotesque, or at least more grotesque than anything else in asoiaf? They even try to emulate Valyria in the same way the Rus tried to emulate Byzantium.
>>
>>47297130

Funnily we seem to have been more or less okay with gays until Peter I decided to Europe things up. And now you change your minds, leaving us deeply confused on how to fit in. By some accounts anyway.
>>
One thing you may've not considered: Russia is so xboxhueg individual duchies in it were at some points in history larger than Britain (that is, Westeros).

Either focus the story on a tiny region or get ready to invent a hell of a lot more houses and intrigue to go for it because the lazy man's solution of just saying "each house's territory is stretched proportionally bigger, and there's nothing in the inbetween" is silly.
>>
>>47297276
>Children of Forest
Nicholas St. North? Is that you?
>>
>>47297276

Do we have to go full Game of Thrones?

If we have to then okay. I'd say the various wild spirit things would be overwhelmingly dead or out of sight by then. Legitimately weird and magical but basically gone. Maybe they start showing up again.

I'd laugh at the notion of some white haired pretty boy trying to ride Zmey Gorynich though, if we're keeping it remotely true to source.

Svyatogor is life though. But he is also probably dead.
>>
>>47280767

There were some Jews there later on. To make it weirder there were also people who tried to study and learn from their books. Probably just practical stuff but maybe some mystical stuff and magic too. Those people were called the Judaiser heretics. (Zhidovstvuyuschie. Latin alphabet is extremely awful for Slavic languages by the way. Or at least Russian and Polish.)
>>
>>47279883

Remember the Tatars weren't around for a large part of our medieval history. Polovtsy were an adequate preview though. Much more manageable however, and Wildling-like inasfar as they were the ones the princes teamed up against most, other than one another. Less Wildling-like in that they also intermarried with them, hired them as mercenaries, etc.
>>
>>47297320
Wouldn't they rather be "Subbotniks" than that terrible lettersalad?
>>
>>47297281

Not saying it is more grotesque than the rest of Essos. That is just the point: Essos is populated with grotesque caricatures, more exotic than thou. This one is of Novgorod. Matter of taste though.
>>
>>47291016
I hate that screencap with passion

It's basically "le grim grumpy Slavs lol"

Yeah the world was full of scary things, but there was also beauty and adventure waiting

If Middle-Earth was based entirely on "le autistic suicidal Nordic" memes then it would have never been faithful or successful
>>
>>47297335
No. That was a separate, later, less obscure heresy. Who the hell knows what the hell was really going with the Zhidaboos. Subbotniks are better documented and more clear cut by comparison. And not, I think, based in Novgorod?
>>
>>47297307
I'm not saying STICK to Game of Thrones, but the point here was to make "Russian Game of Thrones", not just another Russian fantasy setting. The monsters are okay and all, they just need to keep faithful to the tone, etc.

So zmey, for example, can be the real masterminds behind Valyria instead of serving the humans, or they could be just legends (maybe real dragons are unintelligent), or maybe they're degenerate (like it used to be zmey were intelligent and multiheaded, but with magic on the wane they became regular old dragons).

(also, just to note, you're way exaggerating the prevalence of multiple headed dragons in Slavic folklore. It's mostly that the most iconic of them, Gorynich, is three headed. There are plenty references to single headed ones all over Eastern Europe and Russia).

Giants - probably less monkey men than ASOIAF, giants in Russian folklore are noble and sophisticated. They just can't help causing destruction due to being so big.

Various water spirits would be just the right tone for ASOIAF if you only accentuate how scary they are. Rusalka, vilya, stuff like that. All about drowning people.

Leshy are already plenty ASOIAF as it is, what with being hideous moss covered giants addicted to raping, drinking and gambling.

Domovoi are good. Just make them less magical.

In general, so long as you tone down the obvious magic and make things more like "animals that you could sort of kinda imagine possibly evolving naturally somehow", it fits. On top of that you put magic.

I'm also in favor of Phillip Pullman style witches ruling the taiga, but I say that about every setting.
>>
>>47293043
>I know nothing about Slavic legend but what I've skimmed from Wikipedia and DnD guides
>>
Is it wrong that I was completely fine with the Harry Potter depiction of the villia?
>>
>>47297370

See, I think that the ASoIaF tone is not "less magical" as much as it is "magic is dead". So that's a bit different. Magical things these days are gone, weakened and/or in hiding but might be coming back.

Don't mind the ideas though. What would the Valyria be? As in the place ruled by the dragons? Maybe the Greek land?

Also what is your opinion of Vseslav of Polotsk.
>>
>>47297408
>is it wrong that I have opinion?

No. Especially not about something like this.
>>
>>47297409
Valyria is pretty obviously Byzantium.
>>
>>47297236
This website should be stickied

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/index.htm#easteur

And don't come back until you read them all

Listen to some Eastern European folk music to enhance the mood
>>
>>47297409
>Also what is your opinion of Vseslav of Polotsk.
The magic is kind of excessive for early books ASOIAF, but okay for the latter ones. A sorcerer king is definitely something new by series standards.
>>
>>47297421

I suppose. However snakes of all sorts were overwhelmingly associated here with Muslims. So could be Arabs or Turks. On the other hand, maybe Genghis turned into a dragon when he rose to power. Or was a dragon all along. How horrifying is that?
>>
Russian folklore is more lenient on shapeshifters. I say the "warg" equivalents in this setting physically shapeshift rather than brain uploading. They are also vastly more common, possibly even well known, but most of them can only do one animal (I liked the aforementioned idea of House Ruryk being bear people. Should do something similar about Ryazan and birds). The badass ones are the ones who have a repertoire.
>>
>>47297443
Herodotus wrote that some Eastern European tribe could allegedly turn into wolves once a year

And that they were driven west by an army of giant evil snakes
>>
>>47297429

Well it could be ambiguous how much of a sorcerer he is. Could just be a sneaky occultist who is good at hyping his abilities up. On the other hand, we could dial the magic up a bit and he'd probably be fine. Don't think one werewolf wizard warlord would ruin things too much so long as he is used subtly.
>>
>>47297450

Implying all "houses" aren't just House Rurik split off at one point or another.

If you want to GoT it up though, the differences between lineages could be more pronounced complete with favourite animals.
>>
>>47280767
Jews have existed in Russia since basically before recorded history. Earliest records according to the internet are from around the 10th century, mentioning a "Jewtown" district of Kiev.

So like Jews everywhere anywhen.
>>
>>47297474

We did have some Jews. I think most at this time would've been Khazars of varying true Jewishness. The main infusion of modern Jews in Russia would have been much later though, after we conquered the bigger slice of Poland-Lithuania.
>>
>>47297469
I like it. Each house now has a favorite animal whom their descendants can traditionally shapeshift into, but due to the "magic is fading" atmosphere of A Game of Samovars in truth no shapeshifters have been born (or at least known to have been born) in centuries. All they got was people with a supernatural(ish) empathy for a certain type of animal, occasionally bordering on being able to talk to it.

As the series progresses more and more animals begin to talk and more and more shapeshifters are revealed.

The only exception are the witches who live in Siberia, who have been shapeshifting and talking to birds willy-nilly the whole time.
>>
>>47297491

(Not really Siberia so much as stuff East of Arkhangelsk though, right? Up to the Urals. I like our native Ugro-Finns. Creepy witches should fit in well enough among them.)
>>
>>47297491
I'd be okay with the shapeshifters just being so rare everyone THINKS they're extinct. Or maybe it's just that shapeshifting is now so difficult and takes so much practice the only people who've managed it did so by becoming forest hermits, so nobody hears about their magical achievements.
>>
File: Siberian Witch.jpg (62 KB, 388x526) Image search: [Google]
Siberian Witch.jpg
62 KB, 388x526
>>47297506
But Siberian witches are sexy, they play drummer for horse spirits and ain't afraid of Hungarians
>>
It kind of occurs to me now that the closest match for Kievan Rus in GoT might be the Reach. I know, I know, it's France. But it's an obscenely wealthy land of farms and towns exporting produce to the rest of Westeros, with huge armies and a strong tradition of bogatyrs; it is centered on a river and river traffick more than any other place in the continent; and many of its houses claim descent from the same guy, granting them a prospective claim on the Reach that is no worse and arguably better than that of the current rulers.
>>
>>47297514

With Vseslav as a solitary exception to the hermit rule to make Polotsk stand out more and be more spooky and to serve as a possible sign of changing times.
>>
>>47297536

That's pretty obviously a shaman, anon, not a witch.
>>
>>47297557
>implying a difference
>>
>>47297369
Ah, alright. I misunderstood, it seems.
>>
>>47297571

Shamans have drums. Witches have pots. Knowing the difference can save your life.
>>
>>47297584
Wannabe Baba Yagist detected

How's the latest Adventure Path, by the way?
>>
>>47297288
>we seem to have been more or less okay with gays until Peter I decided to Europe things up
First time I hear that, comrade. IIRC Peter introduced new laws against homosexuality but I've never heard that it was in any way acceptable before him.
>>
>>47297571
Shaman = Person chosen by the spirits to be their mediator with the mortal world, care for nature, guide the souls of the dead, and fight evil spirits

Witch = A user of evil magic
>>
>>47291016
Nerds of every culture like to hype up how dark and violent "their" mythology is. It makes them feel badass via some convoluted psychological proxy, because they may have some genes from people whose ancestors may have possibly invented stories which could be interpreted as belonging to badasses.
>>
>>47297454
Yeah one of the Sarmatian tribes if I recall correctly
>>
>>47290158
>read the article.
My, my, autism was already a force to be reckoned with back in '77.

https://guildberkeley.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/gandalf-was-only-a-fifth-level-magic-user/
>>
>>47298667

Sorta like how everyone here loves to jerk off whenever Indian mythology gets mentioned, even though I doubt anyone here actually has a history in knowing those myths and legends?

It's just retarded, about as retarded as getting all hype over how "anime" Irish mythology was.
>>
>>47299690
Any cultural myths that aren't quite what you're used to tends to look exciting and exotic to people who aren't familiar with them. The trouble is that they also tend to be written in another language, so all these people see is the surface, popular stuff.
>>
>>47297370

Giants in Russian folklore tend to be less "entire race of giants" like you get with the Greeks or the Norse, and more "lone individual is a giant" in the vein of Paul Bunyan or Bran the Blessed. In a lot of cultures, specific heroes and semi-historical legendary figures often get inflated to giant size in re-tellings of their legends, and that seems to be the vein Russian giants fall into.
>>
>>47297387

Don't be an ass.
>>
>>47299854
>Bran the Blessed
Misread this as "Brian Blessed" and got confused.
>>
>>47297409
>See, I think that the ASoIaF tone is not "less magical" as much as it is "magic is dead". So that's a bit different. Magical things these days are gone, weakened and/or in hiding but might be coming back.

I think that was a conscious decision on GRRM's part to sort of flip the traditional Tolkien take on fantasy. In Tolkien, the magic is going away, dying out. In ASoIaF it's already died out, but now it's coming back with a vengeance. It's about a setting becoming less magical vs a setting becoming more magical.

So, if you were aping this style for a Slavic-inspired setting, you could have it that at one point, in the distant past, magic was fucking everywhere and the animals talked and everybody had a domovoi taking care of their househould. That's no longer the case, and the world has become colder, harsher, and it's all boyars fighting over land while the peasants are ground underfoot. But the magic isn't completely dead. It lives on in the deep forests and lonely steppes, in the frozen north and deep beneath the ground.

The thing is, if you did it this way, you'd need some triggers. For GRRM, the things that triggered the return of magic were A) the rebirth of dragons and B) the awakening of The Others. I'm not sure what the natural triggers for a revival of Russian magical forces would be, but if you wanted to do things in this style it's something that would have to be figured out.
>>
>>47299854
Giants just reproduce slowly...
>>
>>47299914
Wasn't the rebirth of dragons and the awakening of the others a symptom of the returning magic, rather than the other way around?
>>
>>47299986

Hard to say. The Others awaken entirely on their own, but the dragons, in awakening, seem to bring more magic with thin and it's implied in a number of places that, as soon as the dragons were born, magic got much stronger across the globe. Likewise, magic began fading once the dragons had finally died out, with the alchemists telling Tyrion that magic began dwindling (including their own spells) once the last dragons died.
>>
>>47299932

Most of the examples of giants I can think of in Russian/Estern folklore were either born to human parents or don't have their origins given. Svyatogor, Vorys Mort, Soini, etc. Only race I'm aware of are the Bulkgarian ispolini, but they're considerably different from most giant myths, being more similar to Irish Fomorians, what with the one eye/leg/arm thing.
>>
>>47299863
>implying he isn't
>>
Didn't Slavic mythology have evil castle building giants eating princesses?
>>
>>47300220
That's every mythology
>>
>>47300847

Well, except for the ones without castles.
>>
>>47301162
"Evil fancy cave dwelling giants eating princesses"
>>
File: Goofy.png (137 KB, 690x1024) Image search: [Google]
Goofy.png
137 KB, 690x1024
>>47280242
Ah yuk! Gosh Donald! What are we doing here?
>>
>>47301316

Well, then you have the cultures without princesses. But I guess that would just be "Evil fancy cave dwelling giants eating chieftains' daughters."
>>
>>47301630
What about cultures that have no evil?
>>
>>47301643
What about cultures that have no eating?
>>
>>47301643
>>47301662
Udasi Mystics?
>>
>>47302136
How do you call the cult who wear veils over their faces and brooms to clear the road in front of them so they wouldn't accidentally inhale/step on a bug?
>>
>>47279555
>how similar can we make it to an existing work by masking it with a different aesthetic
You don't mask it, you transform it. Create new value instead of just obfuscating your old and tired (to you, or you wouldn't be afraid of just playing it straight) with layers of paint and cardboard costuming.
>>
File: бабушка.png (445 KB, 614x404) Image search: [Google]
бабушка.png
445 KB, 614x404
>>47302812
LOOK AT THIS FAGGOT
>>
>>47289514

C´mon? Look at your own list, you have been forced to post stuff made by others to get a dozen "magic" tricks.

>>47289539

Sorry I dont play D&D
>>
>>47303033
>Sorry I dont play D&D
That's what they all say
>>
>>47303032
You can't tell if that's an authentic Russian grandma, you can't see if she's on the living room couch.
>>
>>47303658
Also, you can't hear if she's saying wrong things about the past.
>>
>>47303032
>he thinks posting with Cyrillic letters in the file name will make anyone think he's Russian
>>
I think that Cмyтa would make a good scenery. It's as close to the Game of Thrones as you can get: Ivan the Terrible begins his reign already being unstable (abused by Shuiski) slowly goes insane after his first (and favourite) wife is poisoned, plunges country into Oprichnina, begins and loses a few wars, murders his firstborn son in fit of rage and has "My God, what have I done!" moment. Also collected one of the biggest libraries in Europe that was lost after his death. When his son finally dies, the most bloody part begins: everyone is trying to wheel and deal his way to the top be ane means. Look up the Time of Troubles, it's very much like Westeros interregnum.
>>
>>47281617
We Russians have a weird relationship with Baba Yaga. It's been regarded as a scary nature spirit like two hundred years ago, than it became mostly a character of fairy-tales. Most russian fa/tg/uys are most familiar with her as silly character of humorous soviet children't cartoons. That's the way we perceive her. Now imagine if every other fantasy setting talked about horrifying Shrek, the most powerful monster in North America...
>>
>>47282436
My ninety-year old grandma tells me stories about daily dealings with Germans in occupied village near Smolensk. Shit's pretty surreal.
>>
>>47288001
I dunno. Werewolves are pretty popular in russian fairy-tails.
>>
>>47306038
Also False Dmitris (both of them) may be likened to the Targaryens, exept without dragons. The 1st had good communication skills and charisma. He managed to sit on the throne for over a year before the coup.
>>
>>47281538
>How many fairytales featuring Baba Yaga do you actually know, without Googling it?
Jas i Małgosia

t.Pole
>>
>>47291016
Russian fairy-tails are actually not grimdark at all. Less grim than, well, Grimm that's for sure.
>>
>>47306038
>Shuiski
What the fuck is a fucking shuiski, it sounds like a word made up by Rick Sanchez
>>
>>47293043
>dragons were not in slavic mythology
wew lad
>>
File: SCHWIFTY.jpg (81 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
SCHWIFTY.jpg
81 KB, 960x540
>>47306445
LET'S GET SHUISKI
>>
>>47306445
My bad, it's actually https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuysky
They are like Lannisters (massive assholes) but not as rich. Vasili IV managed claim the throne after betraying a Czar or two himself.
>>
>>47303658

That's the grandma from that one webm.

The one about cum facials.
>>
File: zz.jpg (104 KB, 1916x1075) Image search: [Google]
zz.jpg
104 KB, 1916x1075
the absolute Baba Yaga
>>
>>47281620
>>47282403
For the love of bog, someone screencap this!
>>
>>47280386
Northern Kingdoms are slavic. And Nilfgaard has Rome/Octavian type of thing going on.
>>
>>47302649
Jains.
>>
>>47280386
>Central Europe
Cuz it maily revolves around Germany, Bohemia, Moravia and Poland.
>>
Game of thrones/asoiaf is to fantasy what The Big Bang Theory is to the nerd communities
>>
>>47306826
There's no such thing as Central Europe, there's East and West and stern contrast between the two
>>
>>47306826
Nah. Its Central+Eastern Europe (Slavic demons for example) plus Ireland/Celt (Names, Ciri going to different dimension meeting Celts etc) things going on and a bit of Rome with Nilfgaard.
>>
Holy shit, slavland is actually the perfect setting for an ASOIAF-style campaign. You have the Czarist regime for the ~political intrigue~, you have the shamanic religion for all the magic stuff, you have that crazy ass folklore, you even have *actual* mongols instead of having to make up Not!Dothrakis. It's perfect. Can /tg/ still get shit done?
>>
>>47306863
Its already done. Look up Witcher.
>>
>>47306843
And there is centre, Poland, Moravia, Hungary. We are in the centre and west and the east buttfucked us hard a few times because of the geopolitics.
>>
>>47306863
I've learned long ago that real history is way more interesting than "historical" fantasy.
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.