[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell us about the time when, in an adventure, you (or someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: natural1.jpg (6 KB, 236x229) Image search: [Google]
natural1.jpg
6 KB, 236x229
Tell us about the time when, in an adventure, you (or someone else) was doing something critically important that required a roll, and it came up a natural 1.
>>
Trying to break into a fortress stealthily by melting through the bars of a window.

Nat 1, so stealth was abandoned and they proceeded to just try and murder their way through the fortress.
>>
>>47269041
In a desperate, dire situation and my wizard is one of the last people left conscious. We had been blessed by a God with an investment in the current conflict, and I had a staff that was connected to that God, so I decided to pull some bullshit and try to beseech the God for help. I came up with a fancy speech to see if it would be enough to sway the DM but he just told me to roll, and I got a one.

He tells me the staff shatters in my hand.
>>
In a hostage situation my character had a bow drawn on the attacker who was holding the shopkeeper's daughter hostage. I rolled an attack roll, and got a 1. The second roll to hit the shopkeeper's daughter succeeded and I ended up killer her instantly.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 460x447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 460x447
>>47269041
>using 2d10 system
>party tries to roll for initiative

>4 people rolling 1 on each die
>literally 1:100000000

>"okay , looks as if you used up your bad luck for today"!

>nope.jpg
>youCouldHavePreventedThis.png
>theRideNeverEnds.png
>>
>fighting king's man in KD:M
>he's down to 2 hits
>multiattack character build -- basically guaranteed three hits through statistics alone, provided no trap cards are drawn
>all 1s and 2s, everything misses
>well at least he's almost dead
>monster's turn
>it spins around and rapes us all in the face, two party members die instantly from head trauma, the other two are left deafened or blinded

fuck
>>
>>47269041
Not me, but a character in my Gamma World campaign had a mutant power that allowed him to briefly surround himself with a virtually impenetrable force field. It was a sphere just big enough to fit him.

For various reasons, they were trying to seize control of a monorail train to get them into the city of the technologically advanced "high ones". Having successfully dropped on top of the moving car using a combination of technology, mutant powers and sheer daring-do (not to mention some fortitude as one them snagged the thing with a grappling hook and proceeded to get smashed against more than a couple support pylons, as he was dragged after the train), they cut a hole through the armored top of the car using one of the character's vibroblade (a vibrating force blade that cuts through just about anything).

Dropping into the car, they were immediately confronted by a heavily-armored security robot, which proceeded to attack them with mechanical tentacles, stun rods, slug throwers and so forth. The entire team is engaging this thing, but the hodgepodge of technological weapons they'd scraped together weren't really ideal for the task of taking down something as powerful as a fully-operational security robot. The inside of the monorail car is a war zone as everybody cuts loose with whatever they've got after throwing themselves behind whatever cover they could find. The security robot, meanwhile, is just slowly hovering forward, making multiple attacks at once, as shots ring off its armor.

But a blast from a laser rifle does some real damage, the vibroblade lops off a tentacle and later, the extendable arm housing a stun rod, and constant barrage of slug throwers and other projectile weapons are taking their toll. So the robot steps it up a notch and fires a grenade into the party's midst. Most specifically, it fires it directly at the jaguar man who is standing pretty much in the team's center.

[cont]
>>
>>47270494 [cont]
The jaguar-man's player screams that he activates his shield power, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to get it up in time, so I tell him to make a dexterity roll for initiative. It's a percentile dice roll. You want to roll high. He rolls a 01.

I pause and smile. "You get the shield up, but unfortunately it's only after the grenade lands at your feet. Inside your shield."

The player panickedly tells me "I drop the shield! I drop the shield!" as it's a two-way deal. Nothing gets in or out, and the grenade is stuck in there with him. But once activated, the shield lasts for 10 seconds, period. It's not something he can curtail.

So I gleefully look him in the eyes and say "Boom! There's a blinding flash of light as the grenade goes off, its explosion entirely contained within your shield!" I let that sink in for a moment, then I reach for the dice to determine the effects of the grenade. "You are knocked unconscious by the stun grenade."
>>
Moments of nat 1:
My rogue, PC paladin and barbarian npc fight a random encounter bear. I attack first and rolls were 1, 1, 3, my 4th took it down a round later.

Also party sneaks to a demon worshippers town, same rogue and with highest stealth in group and off-play I said before roll to the table: "Someone has to botch it, someone will botch it you know..." and guess who botched it? Fucking me!
So a hot demon chick approaches to me and because I was all bloody from that legendary bear before, I tell her I came for a sacrifice of 12 o'clock, bluff succeeds actually.
>>
>>47269041
After trying out DnD 5e for the last 5-ish months I've made a total of three death saving throws.
All have been natural 1s, and all have been followed up by a coup de grĂ¢ce from an enemy before I could throw a second save or a friend could help me up.
>>
>Playing a Barber-Surgeon in a WHFRP campaign with dudes from a gamefinder thread
>Another PC (a halfling) suffers a serious head wound during combat
>Attempt emergency brain surgery, GM allows me one roll to potentially save the halfling's life
>Critfail
>Instead of killing him, GM says I nicked the halfling's brain while closing the wound, sending him into a coma
>Days later the halfling wakes up convinced he's a druid

I miss that group.
>>
>>47269041
>5e
>Warrior's pet rat is in danger during battle
>She steps in to save it
>Advantage (due to something, can't remember)
>2 nat 1's
>toobad.jpg
>the rat died
>>
> campaign involving first adventure/mercenary work
> after first death, constitution roll to see how it affects you
> friend playing a high class mage finally leaving his small town rolls critical failure and can't hold back being sick and crying
> rogue swindler character spreads rumor he pissed himself
> he gets made fun of by everyone the whole campaign and his character says he is gonna tattle on eveyone to his rich parents
A fun time, it shouldn't have been important but fuck did it stick.
>>
>>47269041
Went to sneak past a troll and a pair of three orcs. I had just opened the door that i untrapped, and had to sneak into a room made of bones, hence the roll.
I tripped and fell into the room.
And in the following combat i proceeded to roll no less than five nat 20's, chopping the troll to bits after someone stopped its regen with fire, instantly killing one orc, and critically wounding another who went down to an ally.

That same session, I rolled insight for trying to use "gut feeling" to determine the way through the death god's maze, and rolled twenties on it twice, with a mod of 8 to make them 28's. Bitch has the gift.
>>
>>47269041
>AdEva
>Berserker rolls to go dormant
>nat100
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.