[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever tried to use Discord to run online tabletop? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Discord-LogoWordmark-Color.png (9 KB, 800x272) Image search: [Google]
Discord-LogoWordmark-Color.png
9 KB, 800x272
Have you ever tried to use Discord to run online tabletop?

I wanna give it a shot because
>Private servers
>Separate Text and Voice channels that can be browsed at the same time
>Multiple channels that could be used for in-game and OOC
>Channel nicknames that can be changed into character names
>Roles and role management for various uses like straight up GM-PLAYER or classes per role
>The ability to bring, create or customize diceroller bots with various functions for specific games

The only thing it's really lacking is videochat and/or screen sharing for maps and other shit, but it honestly sounds pretty good

Alternatively, what do you use for online games other than roll20?
>>
>>47262967
Currently running Talislanta 4e vua Discord because roll20 decided to go ahead and be a little bitch when thr firs session was scheduled. It's pretty gud. It holds character sheets, allows for sorting the party into channles however you like, all that. It has two failings, namely no screen sharing and shitty dice, but both are workable. Though I think we may be switching to ye olde maptoolse soon.
>>
>>47262967
>Have you ever tried to use Discord to run online tabletop?
discord.me/jttrpg
I tend to lurk here and got a couple really neat games going.

Prefer it over IRC for text and Skype for voice, most bots are kind of shit at rolls and there is no VTT.

>>47263195
Maptools is pretty alright. There is a BR toll called Firecast that is better thouhg.
>>
>>47262967
We use discord for voice chat and roll20 to do the rolls. It just works.
>>
I used to use Skype for voice chat + Roll20 for VTT, then used Google Hangouts, and now I use Discord because its voice and text features are just... better.

Screen sharing will come soon enough, probably in the next few months with how their updates ago. Before Roll20 I did do tabletops over Skype, but grid-based stuff was a pain in the ass because Skype's video chat was and is still ass. Hopefully Discord has a good implementation.
>>
>>47263798
I do this, too.
>>
Because of technical troubles I have to use Discord for my party. Not bad, but I really don't see myself using it for anything else.
>>
>>47263798
This, plus a discord bot that I run on my server for rolls in case we don't want to run off to roll20.

We also use discord for video games, and it works well, but only when it's not being DDoS'd.
>>
>>47262967
Played in it once, It works pretty good, but DM decided to drop the game by removing the server without so much as a goodbye or warning.
>>
>>47266665
So close to the quints.

Your DM is clearly a huge fucking dick.
>>
>>47266665
wow what a cunt
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.