[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /tg/ I am GMing my first GURPS campaign tomorrow. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 1463010998087.jpg (47 KB, 467x547) Image search: [Google]
1463010998087.jpg
47 KB, 467x547
Hello, /tg/

I am GMing my first GURPS campaign tomorrow. I've never played the system, and I know absolutely nothing about it other than it's "like" the original Fallout games.

I am currently acquiring the books.

I'd just like to ask you how character creation generally works, and how combat is run.... Is it percentile based or based on the D20 system, or D6's?

Picture unrelated.
>>
Just stick to D&D. Its way better.
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>47236147
I'm tired of D&D.
>>
>>47236080
What about actually opening the book?
>>47236147
>you just can't be serious
>>
File: wewlad.png (1002 KB, 775x918) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.png
1002 KB, 775x918
Which sections should I read, /tg/?

I have one day to get a grip on the rules as well as figure out mapmaking in Roll20.
>>
File: booklist.png (41 KB, 611x421) Image search: [Google]
booklist.png
41 KB, 611x421
>>47236264
Which ones should I use for a modern setting with magic existing but being extremely rare and demonic in origin?

I'm sorry in advance for stupid questions.
>>
>>47236266
Start with GURPS Lite and keep one of the Basic Set books open to its index in case something unusual comes up.
>>
File: GURPS_Lite_(Fourth_Edition).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS_Lite_(Fourth_Edition).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47236266
Here, have this
>>
>>47236147
Fuck off Randy.
Also fuck off, dnd is trash.
>>
File: GURPS_Ultra-Lite.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS_Ultra-Lite.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47236478
and this
>>
>>47236478
>>47236499
Thank you, comrade!

I'm reading GURPS Lite right now, I've got a basic handle on the rules, I only have one more question....

Is 125 points too much for first level characters?
>>
>>47236569
No, problem. Happy to help. Being something of a procastinator, I have been in similar situations.

I have never actually played GURPS either, so can't help you with that one, though.
>>
>>47236080
http://gurpscharactersheet.com/
This aught to make things WAY easier. As for gurps, you roll 3d6, lower is better.
There are skills for fucking everything and skill can "default" off other skills, so if you have pistols at 16 (as in you have to roll under a 16 assuming no modifiers) then trying to use a shotgun would be pistols -2 I think (so, roll under a 14 assuming no additional modifiers). The skill system is highly granulated but stats are surprisingly broad. Every gurps character ultimately feels like either a Dex character or an Int character, since you can spend like 100 points buying up one or the other then spend 20 points getting 1 point in 20 skills related to that stat. If players are doing this and it really bothers you I think there's some homebrew way to make players roll a familiarity roll or something. Like, the dc is based on how much skill points you put into the skill not just how good you are at it. I've played gurps for years and am now officially sick of it, but it gets a lot of things right. The biggest flaw is that the onus in on the GM to make disadvantages relevant. The game encourages munchkining far too much by directly encouraging players to pick "good disadvantages". The gm has to keep players in check or the game deteriorates. If the people you're playing with are new as well, you'll probably have a great time.
>>
>>47236569
There are no levels in GURPS. If you mean for starting characters, then it depends on how strong you want them to be.

If you want your players to be worried about enemies, then stick in the 75-100 point range.

If you want to have a more 'cinematic' campaign, where the players can breeze through combat and feel awesome, then 125-150 is perfect.

If you want to run a high flying, 3.5 style super hero/animu game, then starting them somewhere in the 200 point range is ideal.
>>
>>47236305
gurps magic is fucking retarded imo but it's part of core. If it's supposed to be rare or whatever it's probably not a problem, but I wouldn't gm a magic centric game in gurps.
>>
>>47236627
Thank you, comrade.

I'm going to start the game off at 125 character points, with 62 possible disadvantage points. I'll have to read up on wealth and buying equipment, but I've got the jist of the core mechanics down.
>>
>>47236646
How do characters increase their abilities?
>>
>>47236569
>>47236668
187 points is pretty reasonable I'd say.
One of the templates in gurps is a Navy Seal who's 250 points, so that should give you a sense of perspective. One more thing I wanted to say about disadvantages: don't let players just pick like 12 5 point disadvantages. They're not all going to come up and they know it.
>>
>>47236709
More points at the end of a session.

If you can, snag How to be a GURPS GM. It's super useful for new GMs and helps you avoid the pitfalls of most games.
>>
>>47236305
Tbh it sounds like you're in way too far over your head for one day of reading. If you're cool with a little smoke and mirrors (and if you're GMing, you motherfucking should be), here's what I'd suggest.

Introduce magic, but don't start any of the players off with it. Have whatever you want to happen with it story wise. Don't worry about the rules right now.

If any of the players interact with the magic, tell them roll 3d6. In your mind, set up a DC of 3, 6, 9, 12, or 15 depending on how difficult what they're doing is. This is the success chance. If they roll it or below, then they succeed.

After you run the first session, then read up on the magic. You should have a feel for how you want it to behave now, and you can fit the various magic systems around that.

It's not that magic is super complex or anything, more that it's one more thing that you need to read up on. If you feel comfortable/like you have enough time to read about it...

Personally I'd say that the basic magic system is fine. A lot of people don't like it, I've never had a problem with it. A lot of other people prefer the Dungeon Fantasy system (which I understand to be basically D&D using GURPS), or GURPS Thaumatology.
>>
>>47236080
>GMing my first GURPS campaign tomorrow
>never played the system
>know absolutely nothing about it

I assume you're joking, but if not, good fucking luck.
>>
>>47236305
Biotech is must have
>>
>>47236147
Fuck off Randy, D&D is equally as shitty as GURPS.
>>
>>47239850
At least it has classes and alignments. Where is your gurps now?
>>
>>47240480
Better off without that detritus.
>>
>>47240781
Oh the amount of campaigns derailed due to class ability bullshit, or alignment morality false dichotomies. Fuck dnd.
>>
>>47240781
>>47240788
>that's what gurps cucks actually believe
>>
>>47236147
Fuck off, Randy.
>>
>>47240480
Mental disadvantages for truthfulness and the like, Templates for classes in dungeon fantasy, spells with moral components.
>>
>>47236147
Fuck off Randy
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.