[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: MageScalpRunesArt(CofDG).png (2 MB, 1195x1545) Image search: [Google]
MageScalpRunesArt(CofDG).png
2 MB, 1195x1545
>Previous Thread:>>47197477

>Pastebin
http://pastebin.com/PPptBB5u

>Latest News
The Pack has released!
http://theonyxpath.com/now-available-the-pack/

>Question
What sorts of strange bedfellows has your group gotten involved with?
>>
>>47215621
So Mystery Cult Initiation for the Embalmers as a whole, and a set of Attainments for each of the Houses?
>>
>>47215742
>What sorts of strange bedfellows has your group gotten involved with?
My Iron Master Werewolf handed a mortal gang leader off to the local vampires, in my Poland game, before it died.
We also met and worked with a Joy-Claimed woman who just called herself Joy. She was pretty helpful, iirc, and the main reason we didn't kill her is we had no Storm Lords.
>>
File: PARKER!!.jpg (476 KB, 1280x1439) Image search: [Google]
PARKER!!.jpg
476 KB, 1280x1439
Just began planning to learn the WoD system and thinking of doing a test run with my roommate. He has a pretty run of the mill P.I. character with a gambling habit written out. What should we start with to really get a feel for the system?
>>
>>47215795
Nwod is the rule set. Have owned the books for that and requiem forever never got around to using either.
>>
The Pack pdf when
>>
>>47215795
chronicles of darkness
>>
>>47215863
Don't know, but I'm loving it.
>>
File: riddle me this kain.png (3 KB, 131x129) Image search: [Google]
riddle me this kain.png
3 KB, 131x129
xth for Malkiasyd
>>
>>47216001
Hooray, you aren't dead!
>>
File: WTF.jpg (2 MB, 1264x7033) Image search: [Google]
WTF.jpg
2 MB, 1264x7033
>>47215877
Right right. Scenarios or start ups is what I mean. Been thinking of even mining creepy pasta for ideas. Just never used the system dont wanna go too off the rails and not know what the hell is going on.
>>
Reposting this for the person who keeps asking about Thyrsus Wolfblooded:

Each of the Hounds of God is born with a wolf pelt, and throughout their lives they care for it and keep it around them. They don't need to always have it, but not having it tends to cause them discomfort, and can trigger insanity. Wearing the wolf pelt grants them the powers of the werewolves of legend, and allows them to transform into a great wolf. By wearing the pelt and willing it, they can take the Urshul form. This functions as the Second Skin Tell.

Persistent: In addition to the drawbacks of the Second Skin Tell, the Hound of God must have the wolf pelt within Humanity yards of themselves at all times, or they find themselves unable to focus and keep it together, imposing a -2 penalty to all mental or social rolls, including Breaking Point rolls. Many keep it stashed away in their house, or carry it in a bag of some sort, but some take the drastic measure of cutting their Second Skin to size and wearing it like a thick belt around their torso. If one of the Theissians is without their second skin for too long, it tends to cause drastic issues.
Beat: Carrying around a wolf's skin is unusual at best. Transforming into a wolf more so. When the truth causes other characters to react with fear or suspicion (including causing Lunacy to an ally), take a beat.

Severe: Whenever the Theissian is without their pelt for too long and suffers emotional trauma, she reacts the way that any of the moon-marked would. Failing a Paradox roll or Breaking Point causes the Hound of God to immediately enter Wasu-Im and take on the Dalu form. The Wasu-Im lasts for five minutes per dot of Blessing the character has.
>>
>>47216153
Other than the pelt, Hounds of God tend to be grizzled and somewhat animalistic, even if they're otherwise friendly and polite. Both men and women tend to have at least sideburns, and are rarely if ever without body hair that feels soft and fur-like, instead of the coarseness of usual human body hair. They count as Wolfblooded and are able to talk all Wolfblooded Merits, as well as Sleepwalker and Supernatural Merits.

Parent Path: Thyrsus
Blessings (Life, Prime, Spirit): Life — Speak with Beasts (•), Web of Life (•), Body Control (••), Transform Life (•••), Knit (•••), Prime — Pierce Deceptions (•), Sacred Geometry (•)*, Word of Command (•)*, Words of Truth (••), Ephemeral Enchantment (•••), Spirit — Exorcist's Eye (•), Invoke Bane (•), Know Spirit (•), Cap the Well (••), Channel Essence (••), Ephemeral Shield (••), Place of Power (•••)

* I'm considering these to be the "Add Spirit •" versions. If you want to be less lenient, add one dot to each and remove Words of Truth
>>
>>47216056
Haunted house is always a good start.
>>
File: DEMON CODE.png (421 KB, 1056x476) Image search: [Google]
DEMON CODE.png
421 KB, 1056x476
>>47216178
That is the Free RPG day one right? might have to read over it thank ya sir/ma'am
>>
File: Moira_BIOHAZARD_Flashlight.jpg (177 KB, 800x966) Image search: [Google]
Moira_BIOHAZARD_Flashlight.jpg
177 KB, 800x966
>>47216200
Oh, I just meant "run some kind of haunted house game". I didn't even know there was a Free RPG Day promo for Chronicles.
>>
>>47216153
>>47216161
The guy who suggested Prime here, I've created my own up with the Curse he suggested. I need to write up the flavor before I post it, but I need to get some sleep. I really like yours and the one I created goes in a different direction. It's about gathering information and protective magic, although it does break away from that a bit with it's Spirit magic.
>>
File: 1451427271977.jpg (78 KB, 720x710) Image search: [Google]
1451427271977.jpg
78 KB, 720x710
>>47216265
Oh shit well i guess it would be a good template. How did your first game go? Same question to any other kindly anons
>>
File: The Caretaker.png (124 KB, 971x515) Image search: [Google]
The Caretaker.png
124 KB, 971x515
>>47216310
What's the Curse he suggested? I don't think I saw one.

>>47216333
I ran a Geist game where the characters were all high school students who went to the same school and all died within six months of each other, but you really shouldn't think too hard about that, and the reconstruction on the school was causing the ghost of a murdered nerd from the 70s to show up. It was a little bit of a murder mystery as they tried to put the ghost to rest by finding his killer. They interrogated a few people and then their teacher committed suicide in guilt.

That said, I did make a bunch of sample characters for a game on F-list that I never ran that was meant to teach people how to play. They were going to be members of some after school club or whatever exploring a haunted house that they'd then get trapped in. It was going to be a bit of a high school version of the Call of Cthulhu quickstart.
>>
File: The Delinquent.png (128 KB, 967x556) Image search: [Google]
The Delinquent.png
128 KB, 967x556
>>47216384
>>
File: The Flirt.png (115 KB, 938x444) Image search: [Google]
The Flirt.png
115 KB, 938x444
>>47216400
>>
File: The Jock.png (113 KB, 973x447) Image search: [Google]
The Jock.png
113 KB, 973x447
>>47216411
Tried to cover a lot of character types while not completely shoehorning people to take certain roles.
>>
File: The Loner.png (131 KB, 982x532) Image search: [Google]
The Loner.png
131 KB, 982x532
>>47216434
The idea was to have a ton of sample characters, but only run for like three or four players.
>>
File: The Scholar.png (108 KB, 966x447) Image search: [Google]
The Scholar.png
108 KB, 966x447
>>47216453
Ultimately I was too lazy to plan out what to do. Planning is my bane.

This is the last one.
>>
>>47216434
Just never got around to using all this then? Seems like a lot of effort ya put in. Like the school club ghost adventures idea though nice set up.
>>
File: 1455241300109.jpg (29 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1455241300109.jpg
29 KB, 533x800
>>47216479
Ahh the planning see thats my favorite part as a player of GM/story teller.
>>
>>47216384
Suffer the effects of Wasu-Im if the character fails a Paradox roll or hasn't gone on a Sacred Hunt recently. Here's how I wrote it up:

Curse
Persistent: Must take part in a Sacred Hunt at least once a lunar cycle.

Severe: Whenever _____ suffers a Paradox, they fall into Wasu-Im for 15 minutes, but they don't transform unless they have a Tell that activates do to entering Wasu-Im, such as Anger Issues.

If a ____'s Curse is triggered by failing to participate in a Sacred Hunt within the last lunar cycle, they fall into Wasu-Im from sunset to sunrise until they do.

I can't really tell how balanced the Tell is. The idea is that it permanently binds them to Werewolves because Mages can't do anything about their Curse other than lock them up every night. I think it adds an interesting story dynamic and makes for interesting crossover fodder.

I might as well throw in their magic too:

Blessings (Life, Prime, Spirit): Life - Analyze Life (o), Web of Life (o), Heightened Senses (Life oo) Lure and Repel (oo), Prime - Pierce Deception (o), Supernal Vision (o), Supernal Veil (oo), Wards and Signs (oo), Spirit - Exorcist's Eye (o), Know Spirit (o), Channel Essence (oo), Ephemeral Shield (oo), Gossamar Touch (oo), Opener of the Way (oo), Shadow Walk (oo), Bolster Spirit (ooo), Reaching (ooo),

The cliffnotes version of their backstory is they think they once had a different Curse and a slightly different list of Blessings, but they and their masters pissed of a great wolf spirit by fucking up the Shadow. The Nameless Order they were bound too was destroyed and they were cursed/blessed to run with Werewolves for all eternity. I haven't decided if they've always been Wolf-Blooded or not though, and they probably don't know either. For the most part the family thinks it was Father Wolf that cursed them, but evidence seems to point towards the event being post-Sundering. I haven't bothered to name them yet, but it's going to be in First Tongue.
>>
>>47216333
My first CofD game:
3 kids.
Parents poor as hell.
While they work 24\7 we play outside
One day we find colorful markers and imagine they are magical
Start to draw beautiful land of fairy tales on the old church wall.
Got beaten by bullies.
Find out that our drawing were erased by them.
Renew it and add 3 magical fairies to protect picture from bullies.
One day bullies disappear.
Day after fairies from the picture start talking.
They invite us to their magical kingdom of adventure.
1 of 3 kid agrees to follow them.
Plants on the wall become alive and thorny, grab that kid and drag him into the painting.
Other 2 run away and tell police man about fey and stuff.
Nobody believe them.
Game ends.
>>
>>47216480
On F-list I have like 20 WoD characters, most of which have fully written up sheets, and before I stopped using it, my Dalines account had five pages of sheets.

>>47216502
I'm good with the broad strokes. The individual stuff is hard for me, and creating a game that would only be one session is super hard. Most of my sessions accomplish nothing. Plus, I haven't actually run a game in aaaages.
>>
>>47216333
My first session was the prelude for a Geist game, where the characters died, came back, and dealt with their first encounter with a ghost.

It was a pretty mediocre scenario and we only played that one session before shelving the game. Everyone was just kinda uninspired to keep going. Then, almost sixth months later, we decided to revive the game on a whim, and it ended up being the best campaign any of us had ever played.

So, in summary: it's a total crapshoot. The most you can do is try to have fun with it.

I do think, though, that Chronicles of Darkness is best for games that are longer than a single session, so you have space to dig into some real characterization, interpersonal relationships with NPCs, and stuff like that. Although it might look like a game about monsters, it's really a game about human issues, and those kinds of stories always work best when they have time to build on themselves.
>>
>>47216618
>TFW Innocents is the best Changeling prologue game
>>
>>47216618
That sounds like a prelude to changeling what happened where it ended so quick? Or was that just to get your feet wet?
>>
>>47216767
Awesome advise. So just try and wring in the players the best I can and let them run off to find a theme that interests them basically?
>>
>>47216767
How did you handle them all dying in the same place and time but not having the same Threshold?
>>
>>47216622
Do you still play in them then? I have always played D20 based games and have made a goal of trying out all these damn other systems ive bought and not done shit with.
>>
>>47216861
We have hunter\changeling crossover game after 20 years.
2 kids that left become hunters out of all that stress, they were working for some anon benefactor who supply them with money and tools in exchange for supernatural blood, bones etc.
Changeling guy crawl out of arcadia being teenager and meet his childhood friends when they storm freegold for that pricey changeling blood.
>>
>>47216888
Yes! Definitely.

>>47216890
So the session actually started with three quick scenes, one for each of them, playing out the lead-up to / aftermath of their character's death. Circumstances drew them all together after that.

I may not be very good at planning out plots, but I'd like to think I'm fairly decent at coming up with interesting characters and roleplaying them in entertaining ways—hence my advice above, that the game works well when its carried by the strength of the players engagement with the supporting cast. So I think I managed to keep each of the opening scenes interesting enough for those watching, even though only one of the three players were physically involved at any time.

My ghost story was pretty shitty, though.
>>
>>47216955
That has to be the most fluid crossover I have ever heard!
>>
>>47217012
Whats the ghost story?
>>
Are there any Prime based legacies with Death secondary that aren't evil as shit?
>>
>>47216904
I haven't really played in a game in years either. None of the people who I'd want to play with run things I'd want to play.

>>47217012
Ah, I did a similar thing. Gave everyone a death scene. It was really fun. Great to write out the way they experienced Twilight getting stained with their death mark.
>>
>>47217258
Hmm. Moros legacies going Prime first, Death secondary?
Eh. Not as far as I know. What would they do?
>>
So here's my current issue. Whenever I try to write anything, I've found my ideas are waaaaay better when I can hash them out with a good buddy of mine, who's also very invested in WoD. Neither of us have the attention span or creativity to come up with anything interesting on our own, it's not like we can both ST, and what's the fun of playing a character if you know everything already? What do we do?
>>
>>47217258
No, there's only like three prime legacies anyways
>>
>>47217292
Cut out the sugar and caffeine and have one of you ST.

Or find another friend who can ST.

What does writing anything have to do with it?
>>
File: 1458891003306.png (150 KB, 500x247) Image search: [Google]
1458891003306.png
150 KB, 500x247
>>47217292
Go on a board full of faceless goons that share interest on the subject. Whats the plan boss?
>>
>>47217319
Writing up interesting NPCs, and the webs in which they connect, for the players to interact with.
While we have friends who want to play, none of them have the rule knowledge to carry anything.
>>47217336
Hey, that's pretty good advice.

I dunno, it's nice to have someone to flesh out the shitty parts of your story/characters, but that ruins it from a player's perspective.
>>
Mage 2e question:

Do rotes and praxes cost 1 Experience per dot of the spell, or just one flat Experience always?
>>
>>47217401
>While we have friends who want to play, none of them have the rule knowledge to carry anything.
give them your books
>>
So. Ok. Have I gotten Mage Sight right here:
>You are an Obrimos with Prime 2, Forces 2, Matter 1, Mind 1, and a Gnosis of 2.
>A psychic nearby uses Telepathy to read the mind of a hot girl.
>You sense that he is using a power, with Peripheral Mage Sight
>You want to know what he is doing, so you turn on Active Mage Sight, with your two ruling Arcana
>You don't see shit about the Psychic. He looks just like a normal dude.
>You figure he probably doesn't use a Matter power, so you add Mind to the Mage Sight with 1 Mana.
>You can now see THAT he does something, but not WHAT he does.
>You turn on Focused Mage sight to see what he is doing.
>You attempt a Revelation, but you get a chance die, because his Opacity is 7 or 8, and you have a dice pool of 3.
>Next turn the psychic isn't using the power any more, so you can't try Scrutiny.

Is this correct? Mage Sight seems like it has gotten a HUGE nerf, and all the good parts have been given to Changelings instead.
>>
>>47217407
per dot of the spell
>>
>>47217234
One of the characters was a college professor, and the game started during finals week of their fall semester. He was hanging around his office when a girl showed up in just her pajamas babbling about needing to hand in her term paper. Turns out it was the ghost of a nice but deeply depressed honors student with a really shitty abusive boyfriend, and they had to figure out what would make her pass on (and teach a lesson to the son-of-a-bitch who was still living).

They were trying to deal with this, their first baby steps into being involved with the world of the dead, in the middle of being courted by the two rival krewes that ran the city, which made things a little more interesting.

There wasn't much to it, though. It had a few good ideas—again, coming up with characters that are entertaining to interact with seems to be my strong suit—but I just don't think it made for a super compelling narrative. It was pretty simple, and there wasn't a whole lot of emotional investment.

The later sessions of the game, once we revived it, were much more personal: one guy's clueless best friend being haunted by a totally immoral specter, another character's landlord getting his shitty life out of a rut after having the opportunity to communicate with his dead wife, etc. And those stories were actually very good. You can learn so much about a person by how they relate to the things they've lost, and Geist gives you some great ways to reveal really personal information to the players that deeply affect how they see established NPCs.

>>47217271
It definitely felt like the right way to start the game. Throwing a bunch of players right into their death scenes is a sure way to shake them up, at least.
>>
>>47217407
>>47217444

I believe Praxes are a flat one dot , but Rotes are one dot per level of spell.

It's not very clear, but on pp. 80-81, it states Praxes aren't graded by dots, but you have dots to distribute for Rotes.
>>
>>47217336
Bunchacrunch?
>>
>>47217437
Mage Sight is an Instant action, so the power would be over before the Obrimos could see anything, anyhow.
>>
>>47217407
The book is pretty clear that it's one xp per praxis/rote. It's in the last paragraph for both praxis and rote under spell casting in chapter four.
>>
File: ATLAS.jpg (562 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ATLAS.jpg
562 KB, 1920x1080
>>47217505
Fuck yes to the bunchacrunch
>>
>>47217496
Nice is geist as much like digimon as I read it to be?
>>
>>47217676
Ha ha, what do you mean by that?
>>
>>47217676
>Digimon
wut
>>
>>47217693
>>47217698
You have a natural affinity for ghostly stuff. Then you die and get a boon companion that cant speak and has magical powers. Maybe more shaman king I guess.
>>
>>47217725
But in both Shaman King and Geist your Geist can talk.
>>
>>47217625

So, is the cost of one dot per level of spell in a rote just used for the six free dots of rotes during character creation?
>>
>>47217757
Well that shores up the idea that Geist is grim dark shaman king!
>>
File: RotePraxisXPCost.png (39 KB, 336x100) Image search: [Google]
RotePraxisXPCost.png
39 KB, 336x100
>>47217407
>>47217444
>>47217499
It's 1 xp, flat.

>>47217725
That's not at all what Geist is. Geist is you die, and then a powerful ghost makes a deal with you; you live, but it becomes a permanent resident of your body, and you gain magical powers as a result. The Geist can speak to you, too.

>Page 112
>>
>>47217804
Shit, I accidentally made a mess of that post.
Page 112 is the source for the snippets in the picture, completely unrelated to the Geist explanation.
>>
>>47217786
Yes
>>
>>47217804
yeah that sounds like shaman king
>>
So do you guys think it would be acceptable to make some sort of "signal spell" attainment for Forces? You encode the spell on a particular bit of energy and it goes off when received. So for instance you could do a radio transmission that lights the first few radios to receive it on fire. Basically intending it as an alternative long range casting trick for Obrimos.
>>
>>47217725
Sure, I guess so. Geists CAN communicate, though. I think a lot of folks roleplay the Geists as being fairly talky, in fact, although they don't always have to be able to SPEAK per se.

One of my player characters was a woman who had committed suicide, and her Geist was a dead librarian who communicated by rearranging the letters of writing or signs that the character was looking at. The Geist was fairly uncooperative, too, which got her pretty fed up with the whole situation. One of the best scenes of the game had the character standing on the roof of her apartment threatening a Snickers wrapper that she would commit suicide again.

Honestly, I might be more inclined to compare it to something like Bakemonogatari or Mushishi (though really, either of those shows could be great inspiration for pretty much any WoD gameline).
>>
>>47217850
Seems that would still require Space.

Also, I'd rather see Explosive Runes. Prime to encode a spell and when it's read it goes off. You can make a Charm in Exalted (2e at least) that turns a poster into a murder weapon.
>>
>>47217866
Mushishi and Bakemonogatari are more werewolf (spirits)
Shaman King is all ghosts

Though your confusion is understandable considering geist rips off a lot of werewolf stuff
>>
>>47217866
Wait, isn't that Ghost Writer?
Like, literally Ghost Writer?
>>
>>47217903
I know, but the tone of those two shows and how they treat the supernatural is much closer, I think, than Shaman King. Not that there's any reason you couldn't run Geist (or any WoD line) as a shonen anime, either.
>>
File: Weeb Geist.jpg (2 MB, 4661x3301) Image search: [Google]
Weeb Geist.jpg
2 MB, 4661x3301
Fuck Yeah weeb Geist!
>>
>>47217950
Is it a thing already? I've never heard of Ghost Writer. I swear I thought the idea was pretty neat when I came up with it.
>>
>>47217894
>You can make a Charm in Exalted (2e at least) that turns a poster into a murder weapon.
So you reach into a Modern Shard, grab an incredibly obese man with 'orrible 'ygiene and a neckbeard and bludgeon your opponent to death with him?
>>
>>47217952
>I know, but the tone of those two shows and how they treat the supernatural is much closer, I think, than Shaman King.
no way
bakemonogatari and mushishi are sedate, you can probably use them as white noise when you're going to sleep
geist is all about fun and joking around and being all serious for a bit then going back to fun
>>
>>47217968
>>47217950
Ghost Writer was a 90s kids show about a group of kids who worked with a ghost to solve mysteries.

Said ghost was, iirc, their school's library, and it communicated with them by switching letters around, or picking up markers n shit when they were alone to write stuff down(iirc).
You can find episodes of it on Youtube.

>>47217894
Explosive Runes would require Fate 2 for Conditional Duration(When read), and possibly Forces 3 or 4, if you want it to be an actual explosion.
>>
File: ghost writer.jpg (64 KB, 864x530) Image search: [Google]
ghost writer.jpg
64 KB, 864x530
>>47217968
Whoo boy you better bone up on your PBS senpai
>>
>>47217971
Hue.
It's been ages, and I only did a little Exalted, but the combo was:
The power that turns someone into a Creature of Darkness
The power that lets you do Presence damage at CoD
Letter Within A Letter Technique

Someone looks at the poster or reads the letter and a holy spear blows their face off.

>>47217968
https://youtu.be/cS_lD9_Ur3g
Show from the early 90s about a ghost-thing that rearranged letters and helped SOLVE MYSTERIES.

>Ghostwriter's identity[edit]
>Ghostwriter producer and writer Kermit Frazier revealed in a 2010 interview that Ghostwriter was the ghost of a runaway slave during the American Civil War. He taught other slaves how to read and write and was killed by slave catchers and their dogs. His soul was kept in the book that Jamal first discovered in the pilot episode, and when Jamal opened the book he was freed.[10]
Huh.
>>
>>47218005
>their school's library
old librarian*

Fuck, I need to stop making all these typos.

>>47218017
FUCK
FUCKING GOOEY GUS
THAT SHIT GAVE ME NIGHTMARES AS A KID
>>
>>47217978
>geist is all about fun and joking around and being all serious for a bit then going back to fun
Very true. I may have been cherry-picking the parts of those shows that I liked, but my Geist game did have a distinctly chill jazz vibe to it in between the scenes of the characters either joking around or dealing with very serious issues. I was never huge on the Marti Gras vibe the book encourages you to go with.

>>47218005
>>47218017
>>47218022
This is hilarious. I can't believe I accidentally ripped of a 90's kids show I've never seen. Thank god my players had never seen it, either!
>>
>>47216955
Anyone else ran a good crossover? Most of what I read says it ends up loony.
>>
>>47215742
My werewolf pack was mixed with and receiving help from a pure pack. Mostly because they were all teenagers and what teenager can't agree that 'parents just don't understand.'?
>>
>>47218152
We've had 2.5 really awesome vampire/werewolf crossovers. It was rough at first, balancing out the nocturnalness and the spirit guardian stuff. As we learned more about the system we learned to balance out the vampire stuff and that spirit police isn't actually a requirement of werewolf.

Now our games are mostly like Hap and Leonard or Rizzoli and Isles or Moonlighting or some other fun buddy story.
>>
>>47218047
>tfw listening to your chronicle soundtrack for the first time in ages
Man, now I just wanna run Geist again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ppuzsjl2c2hazj3/AABwkuv82DSH8l9gAjxhuNGRa?dl=0

Anyone else use music to enhance their WoD games? What kind of stuff is on your chronicle soundtrack?
>>
>>47218234
Anytime my players and I think about music in vampire. We just assume they listen to industrial type shit. Also the club scene from blade gets brought up often. 90'searly 2000 train with no breaks?
>>
>>47218272
I couldn't see an Invictus meeting playing anything but chamber music, like any upscale society party or large company gathering.
>>
>>47218352
And of course the Lancea probably some ghoul chorus singing from the hymnal.
>>
>>47218352
That makes sense guess it would depend on clan and coven eh?
>>
>>47218352
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzeNAUOp17c
Ordo Dracul, that is all.
>>
>>47218414
I imagine the Ordo would want really experimental music, synthesia type stuff.
>>
>>47218498
I thiought the lyrics fitted, but that is just me.
>>
Are ley line taps still a thing in Mage 2e? Can I still use magic to power the appliances in my Hallow?
>>
Hope those with The Pack are enjoying it! Drivethrurpg seems to have recovered from whatever happened to it when the pdf initially released.
>>
File: Mage_the_Awakening_(Download)_01.jpg (517 KB, 1403x1815) Image search: [Google]
Mage_the_Awakening_(Download)_01.jpg
517 KB, 1403x1815
>>47218665
dunno if that merit is in there but you could just convert it
>>
>>47218912
nobody wants your furry wank book
>>
>>47218925
I too wouldn't want a furry wank book. Fortunately for everyone involved, I haven't written one.
>>
>>47218912
fantastic book, mate, cheers
>>
>>47218912
It's a good book.

I had a question, though. The Tribes have pillars, but despite the Screaming Moon Lodge, there's no mention of auspices having similar factions. Are there, or is the Screaming Moon just an anomaly?

Want to say that the Pillars were a nice touch too, adding some depth, organization and hierarchy to the tribes.
>>
>>47219025
Nah, there's no auspice pillars. There are absolutely Lodges that focus on prey or hunts that particularly suit a given auspice, though; the Screaming Moon aren't an anomaly.
>>
File: stf163_fullMoonsRise.jpg (75 KB, 600x434) Image search: [Google]
stf163_fullMoonsRise.jpg
75 KB, 600x434
>>47219082
Okay neat. I loved the Screaming Moons, wish I was playing a Cahalith.

Hope we'll see the Blue Moons or Hollow Rivers next book.
>>
The link for the new rulebook in the pastebin has expired, can someone re-up it please?
>>
>>47218234
I had a lot of ambient techno in my Demon game.

Currently, the playlist I'm building for my upcoming Mage game includes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8sUC-dsW8A
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tZzlqkIQlU

And WOULD include
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiYoajAqoeQ
If I could find it on Soundcloud.
>>
>>47219113
Well, the Screaming Moons aren't *just* Cahaliths; there's just a lot of Gibbous Moons in their ranks, moreso than any other auspice.

Funny thing about the latter Lodge you mention; they're actually supposed to be the Hollow *Reivers* but it seems it got corrected in editing to Rivers. Easy mistake for the editor to make.

If I get to write on whatever book covers Wounds, Bale Hounds and the like, the Blue Moons would probably be an appropriate topic to write up there.
>>
What does Nemesis, Exarch of Spirit think of Hosts?
>>
>>47219187
>Funny thing about the latter Lodge you mention; they're actually supposed to be the Hollow *Reivers* but it seems it got corrected in editing to Rivers. Easy mistake for the editor to make.
That's even better.

Also omg i need to check out the Screaming Moons again.
>>
>>47219211
The Raptor probably likes them more, mindless predators.

Nemesis probably likes them as "the Other" though.
>>
>>47219235
Wouldn't Nemmy only be a fan of the Azlu though?
>>
File: cALGigE.gif (120 KB, 500x672) Image search: [Google]
cALGigE.gif
120 KB, 500x672
>>47218956
Real talk now, Chris.

Do the Temple of Apollo wolves ever Praise the Sun?
>>
Would it every be a conceivably good idea to base Spirits that the Thousand Steel Teeth face on the House Robots from Robot Wars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xclzUDeziAY
>>
File: Gear.jpg (242 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Gear.jpg
242 KB, 600x600
Question.

I'm planning to run a WoD game (Hunters Hunted), and I was considering giving players the option to rob a sports shop in a local mall where a Nosferatu hangs out at night. One of the (many) items in said sports shop would be a set of motorcycle gear (or several), padded clothing with hard plastic on the outside as "armor" and whatnot.

Would you say that this type of gear counts as actual armor, and if so, how much of a soak (versus bashing and lethal) would you give it?
>>
>>47219553
It's most certainly armour.
It's heavy, stiff, and seriously reinforced. Stabbing through heavy bike leathers would take a lot of effort.
>>
>>47219553
0/3
>>
>>47219508
Well, the Thebans do turn grossly incandescent during the Sacred Hunt.
>>
>>47219596
Time for some jolly co-operation with the packmates.
>>
>>47219584
>It's heavy, stiff, and seriously reinforced. Stabbing through heavy bike leathers would take a lot of effort.
Aye, that's what I figured as well, but I thought I might as well ask to see what other people think, heh.

>>47219587
>0/3
Do you mean 0 soak versus bashing and 3 soak versus lethal, or the other way around?
>>
>>47215742
>What sorts of strange bedfellows has your group gotten involved with?
Your mum.
>>
>>47219628
I've always thought armor notation in WoD was lethal first then bashing, so armor 1/2 is 1 dot of lethal armor and 2 of bashing.
>>
File: werewolfcombat.jpg (45 KB, 687x481) Image search: [Google]
werewolfcombat.jpg
45 KB, 687x481
>>47218177
Same, but that's probably because it was the same game.
>>
>>47219553
I could've sworn "biker leathers" was on the list of suggested modern armours..
>>
>>47219773
Not in V20 at least...

Thought it does mention that "Reinforced Clothing" has an armor value of 1 (against bashing, lethal and aggravated from claws and fangs), and that an "Armor T-shirt" has an armor rating of 2 and a -1 penalty.

Not sure which of these "biker leathers" would fall under, if any of them.
>>
So I'm running a game of W:tF for my cousin and some of his freinds over the summer and I'm thinking that I'll have the BBEG basically be Hive as a Beast, though I am in the early stages of planning this out yet. Any suggestions?
>>
>>47219904
>the BBEG basically be Hive as a Beast,
What.
>>
>>47219917
Hive from Marvel, basically he's got the master plan to infect people with his spores to mind control them. Again, early stages, not married to the idea.
>>
Anyone else thing Temporal Summoning is ridiculously powerful?

Pg. 190

Seems with better than most Life/Death spells for bringing people back to life, killing other supes (by turning them into babies first) and just well, fixing just about anything!

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like the best 5 dot spell for 3 dots around...

Please convince me otherwise?
>>
>>47219596
But Chris, will we ever get a lodge that actually worships Helios? Not... Whatever 'Apollo' is.
>>
>>47220040
It's possible. I'd love to do something on the general mass of heresies, blasphemies and plain weird non-Forsaken, non-Pure, unorthodox werewolf groups some day. Not just Bale Hounds but all manner of witch cults, worshippers of other spirit gods, etc etc.
>>
>>47220181
Yes Please.

I've always wished that Werewolf had more options for non-orthodox Werewolf groups.
>>
So, uh... anyone got a link for The Pack for us poor folks? I already spent my monthly RPG budget on Mage 2e...
>>
>>47220227
>>47220181
Seconding this, specifically for Helios. More information on him in general would be great, but a werewolf group actually dedicated to him, whether they're making amends or otherwise, would be awesome.
>>
>>47220002
To do anything important, you've got to beat a relatively hefty Temporal Withstand.

It's still potent, but requires some planning for optimal utility.
>>
>>47220286

Still seems overpowered, why not just Praxis this and shoot for the Exceptional to bypass the Withstand every time?

It's not 5 dots Unmaking soooo.... it's not Withstood every time.

That's not too much planning, just some XP or Gnosis slotting.
>>
>>47220002
>>47220348
It requires Temporal Sympathy to do the first two things you mentioned (because either is far more than Unchanged) which means you need Reach and a Sympathetic Yantra, besides beating the Withstand value of the Sympathetic link. Which effectively makes "turning someone into a baby" pretty damn impractical in combat. And it can't bring people back to life permanently because they go back to being a corpse when the Duration runs out.

It is excellent at fixing things, though. Even though they'll go back to being broken when the Duration expires.
>>
Has Dave provided any indication of when he might publish the FAQ?

There are a lot of ambiguities and questions arising from Mage 2e, and Dave's been unusually quiet this past week or so. I would have thought he'd be ever-present and taking virtual victory laps once the book was finally out.

Has been Dave annoyed or angered by some of the 2e comments and discussion, distracted with the large errata and Signs of Sorcery, or too busy playing Exalted?
>>
>>47219955

As a beast? Namtaru with a custom improve 'You must Obey' nightmare/atavism maybe?

Infestation for all your sluggy bug-bits.
>>
>>47220415
>And it can't bring people back to life permanently
Well, theoretically, you could if you were willing to expend the resources to make it Indefinite, right?

You're spot on with the other part, though. I feel like a lot of people keep underestimating how difficult it is to just casually make use of Temporal Sympathy.

>>47220002
One thing I honestly wondered about this spell is... what the heck is it actually supposed to represent? You can't literally be pulling a past version of them into the future, so... are you temporarily transforming the present them to have all the physical / mental properties of a past version? That doesn't sound right either. I really don't know how to make sense of this spell.
>>
>>47220455

You have to make sure all the FAQs are in fact, frequently asked. Dude's also got at least one supplement to develop and Deviant to pitch to Paradox and outline. Dude's busy as fuck, even more so now that Mage 2e is actually out.
>>
>>47220415

Except that it is permanent. At the very least the death you inflict upon them as a non-supernatural being or baby.

Quote: "When the spell’s Duration ends, the subject immediately returns to its present self.

Injuries, Conditions, and other effects imposed on the subject while Temporal Summoning is in effect transfer to the present version of the subject when it returns."
>>
>>47219744
So much rage over a stupid dick.

Whatever, this is my thread, I already claimed it.
>>
Wait, did we get info on the Bale Hounds in WTF 2? I remember some talk about them barely getting a paragraph or two.

Did The Pack expand on them?
>>
>>47219744
>>47220573
Elaborate
>>
>>47220588
The Pack didn't directly expand on Bale Hounds, no. OTOH I did spend some time in the Lodges section talking about how Lodges tend to be dodgy, heretical or outright blasphemous, including some examples and a full write-up of one. Not Bale Hounds, but the same general sort of metaphorical territory.
>>
File: letsnotturnthispackintoamurder.jpg (35 KB, 723x538) Image search: [Google]
letsnotturnthispackintoamurder.jpg
35 KB, 723x538
>>47220573
>>47220618
That clusterfuck of a fight perfectly illustrated everything wrong with both WtF 1e and base 1e combat rules. Our entire pack (five wolves + one corvian, 2~3 specced for combat) could not deal with two Pure with anything approaching efficiency. Worse, the least combat-capable wolves eventually tried to disengage and couldn't break out of the melee without nearly dying.

And after all that insanity, Dick joined the Pure pack anyway, because for whatever reason he picked his bitchy, Pure, First Girl over the superior, handsome crow man. I hope they break up during the time skip.
>>
File: vkSfE.jpg (55 KB, 687x481) Image search: [Google]
vkSfE.jpg
55 KB, 687x481
>>47220618
Since I hopefully drove off my compatriot, I'll do my best. It has been a few years.

Either way, was WT:F, but because of the popularity of Teen Wolf, we allowed the characters to all be teenagers in high school.

They caught wind from their totem that a kid in their school was going to have his first change. So they went to pick him up before the local Pure guy made a move on him (he made a move on one of the PCs during his first change).

Unfortunately, appearing to a teenager as an intelligent wolf and a talking crow (the pack alpha was actually a crow shifter, because reasons) did nothing to stabilize poor Richard, aka Dick.
>>
>>47219187
>>47219113
>screaming moon wtf
>look it up
Are tehse guys beast hunters?
>>
>>47220181
That'd be awesome.
>>
>>47220642
So would that imply that the Bale Hounds are less than unique? Just one example of many different heretical groups of craycray wolves?
>>
File: wD1QO.jpg (73 KB, 703x538) Image search: [Google]
wD1QO.jpg
73 KB, 703x538
>>47220709
As >>47220673 said, it lead to a fight in the end.

This is after they tried to calm him down after dogs spontaneously followed him (one of which was adopted by a PC... I never thought about the fact that they never checked if someone owned that puppy)
>>
>>47220745
Thing is the Maeljin are at Firstborn power levels, more likely to have full fledge Bale Hound tribe, then lodges for lesser Maeltinet/Maeljin
>>
>>47220726
Their sacred prey is anything that relies on fear for its own predations. Beasts fall under their remit, although not just as prey; there's a reference in the sidebar about Lodges and other supernaturals as to what else the Screaming Moon do with Beasts.
>>
>>47220503
>Well, theoretically, you could if you were willing to expend the resources to make it Indefinite, right?

Well, right, but in that case it's really no different than an equivalent spell of another Arcana. Shoot, it's probably easier to just fix an inanimate object with Matter thanks to its attainments.

And I'd say you ARE literally pulling a past version of them into the future.

>>47220551
It's not permanent in the sense that the target remains in it's past state, though. So no permanently repairing something, or bringing the dead permanently back to life (barring going so far as to make the spell Indefinite - and even then it can be dispelled).

And seriously it's not even worth considering the fucking "TURN THEM INTO A BABY" scenario because of how impractical that would be in an actual combat situation - if you want someone dead and have the means to acquire a TS Yantra to affect them then there are way more efficient ways to get rid of them than that.
>>
>>47220784
>, more likely to have full fledge Bale Hound tribe,
or Tribes
>>
>>47220745
I'd *personally* like to see there be more different heretical groups of werewolves.

So far in 2nd ed Forsaken, we have the Hounds of the Field of Dogs and the Temple of Apollo providing some examples of blasphemous, dangerous Lodges that don't follow the Forsaken/Pure creeds and provide an alternative to 1e-style Bale Hounds.

What Bale Hounds will look like when they eventually emerge in 2e, I don't know.
>>
Giving them little nicknames was a nice touch.

Banshees of the Screaming Moon.
Pale Hounds of the Lodge of Death.
>>
>>47220794
>The Lodge Sacred Hunt grants your character the ability to overcome any supernatural fear or panic effect originating from the prey or obstructing the hunt by spending 1 point of Essence, although it may affect other characters as normal. If the effect would also inflict damage (such as a ghost literally scaring people to death) then the damage is also negated if your character spends 1 point of Essence. If your character possesses the Fearless Hunter Inspiration Facet, then she does not need to spend Essence for these benefits.
>completely nullifying half of beast abilities
love it
>>
File: tKMYh.jpg (38 KB, 687x481) Image search: [Google]
tKMYh.jpg
38 KB, 687x481
>>47220772
Eventually dick changed, they confronted him in a park where he had obviously lost his mind (I can't remember his auspice... Considering he went into warform, maybe Rahu).

Then the much better pure pack came along, the Pure leader and his totally-not-a-lesbian daughter, and they ripped the PCs to shreds. Mostly because their idea of a battle strategy was 'attack it, and if that fails, try a grapple!'
>>
>>47220795
>And I'd say you ARE literally pulling a past version of them into the future.
The thing is, I don't know how to reconcile any explanation for how the spell works with what >>47220551 quoted:

>Injuries, Conditions, and other effects imposed on the subject while Temporal Summoning is in effect transfer to the present version of the subject when it returns.
If I summon the real you from a couple of years ago, give you a good whack, and then send you on
your way, that would have two consequences: 1.) you'd have plenty of time to heal whatever wound I dealt you, so you wouldn't still be wounded in the Present, and 2.) you'd potentially have some idea that I was going to attack you at some point in the future, if you're a Mage—at the very least, you'd know that you had an enemy that was messing with you magically, and would probably react to that, which would certainly alter the events of the future I'm summoning you to (the Present), potentially undoing the circumstances that caused me to summon you in the first place and making the whole thing moot anyway.

So you can't actually be pulling them out of the past. You have to be somehow... mantling the features of a past version of them over their present self? I guess? I don't know.
>>
>>47220547
>>47220455
Dude is on holiday, he just got paid after waiting years. Let him bask in his temporary boost to resources.
Also he letting the comment and questions build up to get them all at once.
>>
>>47221003
I THOUGHT it was going to be a cool spell before I read it. I saw "Temporal Summoning" and figured what it probably did was conjure up a temporal after-image of a person or object, such that you could closely examine an item in a past state, or question someone as-they-used-to-be. An investigative tool, essentially.

The real spell is kind of like that... except the past version actually replaces the present version? But it also IS the present version, so any damage dealt to it is transferred to the present version, for some reason?

Honestly, I might just ask my Storyteller if I can houserule it to work the way I described, 'cause that's a much more interesting spell.
>>
>>47221054

Is he still on vacation?
>>
>>47220784
I thought they were Rank 7 or 8?

Forget Firstborn, Rank 8 is Luna.
>>
>>47221117
>figured what it probably did was conjure up a temporal after-image of a person or object, such that you could closely examine an item in a past state
That's Postcognition. It's under Time 1.
>>
>>47220455
>Dave's been unusually quiet this past week or so. I would have thought he'd be ever-present and taking virtual victory laps once the book was finally out.
I think he's taking cover from all the people going LEGACIES ARE BROKEN! THESE SPELLS ARE BROKEN! until people have properly digested and practiced with the new book. Pretty much all the people bitching about Legacies on the OPP forums have gone "oh hang on, so they're balanced THIS way, that works" since then.
>>
>>47221640
there's only one legacy in the book

i see a lot of people bitching about people allowing supernatural stats to add to withstand, apparently it's a sin
>>
>>47220002

If you wanna kill a person, there's easier and subtler ways than that.

That said, Temporal Sympathy does mean that you can effectively raise the dead anyway. Just cast a spell back in time to heal a person the instant before they die, or turn the bullet that killed them into dust the moment it was fired, or what have you.
>>
File: 146302689275.jpg (2 MB, 2534x3274) Image search: [Google]
146302689275.jpg
2 MB, 2534x3274
Anyone know where I can find the character template art done by Joshua Gabriel Timbrook in the last sections of Clanbook: Nosferatu 1st edition for Vampire: The Masquerade. Pic is an example. The template art is so hard to find nowadays, especially since the guys who scanned the clanbooks didn't bother to scan them.
>>
>>47221692
I mean the guidelines for making your own Legacies - people think the mechanics make Legacy Attainments underpowered to the point of being practically nonfunctional, mostly because they don't give you enough Reach to have Attainments that are both Instant-cast and Prolonged Duration, which was the standard version of most spells (and therefore Attainments) in 1e. The fact that there's only one Legacy in the book is part of the issue - the 11th Question are an exception in that most of their Attainments are now Knowings or Unveilings, which gives them a ton of Reach to throw around (whereas previously the past- and future-reading spells were scattered across the various dot-levels for Time) while a lot of other spells were ported over at their original dot levels, meaning you've got 3-dot Attainments replicating 3-dot spells. Either you're casting instantly but the spell only lasts 1-3 turns, or you're doing a longer cast and making the spell last a scene/a day.

Luckily the ritual cast timespan for Attainments is "a scene", so it's easy to justify spending a scene setting up, say, a Shielding spell, or Body Control at the beginning of the day that you then have up for a day or a week.
>>
>>47221692

There is a reason for that: Supernatural Advantage is a stat that can scale rapidly. If you add that AND a base stat, even reasonably powerful Mages are going to have a hard time affecting equally powerful supernatural beings.

For example, a character with Gnosis 3, Death 3, trying to Fray a BP3 Vamp with Stamina 3 is facing a Withstand of 6. That means the character has to take a -8 penalty to do even one level of damage.

If you just Withstand with BP, meanwhile, it means a Neonate Vamp is less resilient to magic than they were before they got bitten.
>>
>>47221857
>For example, a character with Gnosis 3, Death 3, trying to Fray a BP3 Vamp with Stamina 3 is facing a Withstand of 6. That means the character has to take a -8 penalty to do even one level of damage.
And if the vampire has BP1 and 3 Resilience they're still going to take that -8 penalty.
>>
>>47205562

Dear Diary,

Today was supposed to be the big day. I had appended the grimoire with the collection of texts on the various spirits of the wilderness that I shall be supplicating for assistance, or if necessary, utilise the chains of command in order to force their compliance. Particular care was given to the ritual implements. Through the use of sympathetic substances such as stones and herbs, and careful observation of planetary hours, planetary powers were instilled, drawn down, and fixed into the tools.

Unfortunately, I never got around to performing the invocations of any spirits. The ritual itself would have been conducted, were it not for the interruption of the Uratha, spawn of Urfarah. These creatures be umma-us (lit., mage-death). Bane unto all umma!

The ur pack broke my staff and wand of elder and hazel wood! Then they knocked me to the ground, and then spat at me, all the while jeering at me like drug addled hoodlums--I thought I was going to die!

To cut a long story short, I survived. (Obviously.) I was considered 'unworthy prey', and told that my death would be belittling to their 'Sacred Hunt'. Damn giherimu shiniduth. I know that there is no love lost between the hithim and the Uratha, so I shall call on them to aid me in my reprisal. I shall have the opportune time to do so on May 22, with Mars at opposition.

I'll begin with the necessary arrangements immediately: prepare a blade of steel, large enough to cut the neck of a young bleating thing in a single blow. Upon the handle of wood, the names of the i'ilthath I shall evoke will be engraved with the burin. And finally, it will be fumigated with frankincense and blessed three times with spring water. About lunchtime seems like the right time to actually perform the summons, calling them forth. The blood of a dove or white pigeon seems like it'd do nicely for that.
>>
>>47221857
Save it for the forums, whinyshit, I was just telling you about the magefags whining and shitting their pants over things
>>
>>47221604
I know about Postcognition, man. That's not what I'm talking about at all. Picture these two options:

>1.)
You conjure up the past version of an object you've encountered. It may be temporary, but while it lasts it's the real deal, able to interact with reality and be interacted with.

Was an object important to your investigation destroyed? From its ashes you can bring it to the present and actually hold it in your hands, examining it with any of your or your allies' abilities.
This is already pushing beyond the scope of what Postcognition accomplishes, but think of the other possibilities. Did you have an important key that's now been lost? (Or stolen by Seers!) You can still conjure a past version of it to open the doors to the Atlantean ruins if you get there first.

>2.)
You conjure a past version of a person you've encountered. Now you have an opportunity to speak with the deceased, or to learn what a person was like before a traumatic event in their life.

And these are just the obvious, not so morally questionable uses. What if you conjure up the afterimage of someone important to your investigation just so you can torture them for information without having to face the real world ramifications? What if you conjure up the afterimage of someone just for your own personal gratification—say, conjure up a past version of the object of your (depraved) affections to satisfy your sexual appetite?

Though there could be good, if potentially just as questionable, uses too. What if you go to your Sleepwalker friend who's grieving for his dead wife, and you conjure her afterimage so he can speak to her one last time? Even if it's not exactly her, maybe it helps him move on.

IN MY OPINION, that's a way more interesting spell than... whatever Temporal Summoning is supposed to represent right now.
>>
>>47221965

>jocks beat up nerd: supernatural edition
>>
File: Columbine.jpg (695 KB, 2338x1700) Image search: [Google]
Columbine.jpg
695 KB, 2338x1700
>>47221965
>>47222075
>>
>>47222085

Real heroes
>>
>>47222085
>tie-dye in the middle is a Promethean with a small wasteland forming near him
>>
gimme pdf, i am poor and want nice things anyway
>>
>>47221857
>For example, a character with Gnosis 3, Death 3, trying to Fray a BP3 Vamp with Stamina 3 is facing a Withstand of 6. That means the character has to take a -8 penalty to do even one level of damage.
>If you just Withstand with BP, meanwhile, it means a Neonate Vamp is less resilient to magic than they were before they got bitten.
The Vampire doesn't need Blood Potency, it just needs Resilience. That permanent boost to Stamina applies to Withstands that use Stamina.
>>
So do spirits ever posses or ride babbies in-utero? Seems like it'd be a good long term essence battery depending on the kid/family.
>>
>>47222485
You are issued your soul at birth, before that the spirit would need Influence (foetus), and werewolves tend to kill these on site
>>
>>47222430

Note that direct damage spells are not Withstood.

Except to the extent that a higher Stamina or Resilience adds health levels, they provide no other protection to direct damage spells or those that are not Withstood.

A higher Stamina and/or Resilience would, however, be useful against spells such as transformations and the like.
>>
>>47222485
a spirit would have a hard time finding a baby in-utero that had the resonant/open condition to it
a pregnancy spirit might do it, then keep the baby inside the womb
>>
>>47222508
Resilience adds Stamina passively. A Vampire with 5 Stamina and 5 Resilience has 10 Stamina.

>Except to the extent that a higher Stamina or Resilience adds health levels, they provide no other protection to direct damage spells or those that are not Withstood.
It also soaks damage.
>>
When's the pack pdf going to be available?
>>
>>47222508
It gives them more health-boxes for direct-damage spells, and provides a higher Withstand rating against most five-dot kill spells.
>>
>>47222575
It's on DTRPG right now. It's $10 measly bucks.
>>
pastebin has broken links
>>
File: skeleton laughing.gif (448 KB, 450x292) Image search: [Google]
skeleton laughing.gif
448 KB, 450x292
>>47222575

WtF fans everybody

I would say you are almost as bad as WtA fans but there aren't any
>>
>>47222430

Which is fine. A character with high Stamina and high Resilience SHOULD be difficult to affect.

But Supernatural Advantage is universal. It means they can shrug alternative approaches too. That's way less interesting.
>>
Do werewolf tactics cut in on hunter tactics at all?
>>
>>47222857
huh?
>>
>>47220455
>>47221640

Nah. People bitching about Legacies actually having rules now are just wrong.

(Seriously. Of course they can incorporate Arancum Attainments - one of the two published examples does, in the 11Q's Postcognition one.)

It's mostly just one guy wanting them to get more Reach, though.

The game's been out for eight days, and I'm busy with something urgent and entirely unrelated. The FAQ will wait until after I do the errata collation, due to the risk of answers changing.

Same reason I'm not doing more example Legacies yet - need to be sure every spell in the game is at the Arcanum dot it's staying at, and some of them might not be at the moment.
>>
>>47222894
Like are they similar to hunter tactics? It would be kinda lame if supernaturals got one of the only thing that hunters have of their own
>>
>>47222908
NO SWEARING BY STAFF MEMBERS!!!
>>
>>47222937
Bugger that.
>>
>>47222955

I'm glad you're alive and well and not particularly bothered by a few loud complainers.

I think Mage 2e is excellent overall, but there are still a few matters that need some expansion or clarification.

When you finally get to the FAQ, I hope imbued items and artifacts are at the top of the list.

I have no idea how to incorporate Reach effects or additional factors, what happens when the mage using the item has a higher Arcana rating than the creator, if mages can use (or imbue) rotes to create imbued items, and how do you recharge artifacts?
>>
>>47222636
>Implying literally everyone doesn't ask for PDFs
>>
>>47222908
>based Dave
To be honest, I can't wait 'til I can finally get my group together to start our new Mage campaign. Half the discussions going on here (Temporal Sympathy, anyone?) feel totally divorced from the context of having actually, you know, PLAYED the game. And since I never even had a chance to try out 1e, Mage 2e's got me really excited to see how it'll all come together at the table.

Absolutely looking forward to whenever you get around to those example Legacies, though.
>>
So have we ever gotten weird gender shit like the Dakasha for Werewolf or Vampire? Or I guess any splat, really.
>>
>>47223454
Any of the example characters in Beast.
>>
>>47222857
Here's the list of possible effects:
>• Add or subtract 2 dice to or from a specified action or dice pool
>• Add or remove one Door in Social maneuvering
>• Shift Social maneuvering first impressions one step
>• Count a specific action as an Advanced Action (Werewolf: The Forsaken, p. 162)
>• Count half of the secondary actors’ dice pools as successes (instead of rolling) in a teamwork action
>• Allow Exceptional Success on 3 successes instead of 5
>• Halve an enemy’s Defense for one turn, or ignore it for one attack
>• Add one success to a roll that’s already successful
>• Apply a specific Condition or Tilt to a target
>• Apply a Persistent Condition to a target (counts as two options)
>>
>>47223454
the lodge of the grotto and the galloi
>>
>>47223454

The Daksha are based on certain Victorian and Edwardian magical traditions, that mixed European alchemy with badly-translated Indian practices.

The ancestor of the Daksha's Lemurian form is the alechmical rebis, which crops up a few times in Promethean. And is central to Mage: The Ascension's second-edition metaplot.
>>
File: rebis.jpg (63 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
rebis.jpg
63 KB, 672x372
>>47223656
>>
>>47220835
Hey Chris will we see lodges with unique gifts in the future or is that on the out in 2e?
>>
>>47223680

No, that's a *rebus*. A thing where your language appears as writing in mid-air. Like the runes mages see in Mage Sight when they spend mana.

Rebis - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebis
>>
File: rebis.jpg (26 KB, 202x317) Image search: [Google]
rebis.jpg
26 KB, 202x317
>>47223740
>>
Hey, Dave (and/or Chris), what do you think of my take on a Proximus/Wolfblooded Dynasty?

It's here >>47216153 >>47216161
>>
File: rebis.png (677 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
rebis.png
677 KB, 500x680
>>47223656
>>
>>47222908
>Same reason I'm not doing more example Legacies yet - need to be sure every spell in the game is at the Arcanum dot it's staying at, and some of them might not be at the moment.
That's good. I've noticed a bunch of spells at the "wrong" dot and have been trying my best to point em all out in the errata thread.
>>
>>47222908
What are the chances Proximus will get less shafted? Is it too late for them?
>>
>>47222908
If there end up being a lot of errors, what is the likelihood of a Geist-like update/reprint?
>>
>>47224060
none
there's not that many errors
>>
>>47224041
Explain your feelings anon. A statement that vague ends in nothing.
>>
>>47224060
Geist-like situations are what this advance pdf business are supposed to prevent.

No one gets a hard copy until it's been good and errata'd.
>>
>>47224134

Unlike 1e, Proximi Blessings/spells invoke Paradox.

However, they receive no free reach, paradox totally cancels the spell and invokes a harsh greater curse, and they cannot contain paradox. Their default ritual casting time in 5 hours, they cannot use Yantras, and their casting dice pool is limited to Willpower.

Proximi powers are expensive to purchase and very difficult and dangerous to use.

If you want human retainers or otherwise magical servants and NPC's, basic humans with supernatural merits are a far better value and still thematically appropriate.

There's very little upside to being a Proximus. They really need *something* to mitigate their ample shortcomings and penalties.
>>
>>47224341
Do they?

I mean, I see them as on par with Ghouls. They can do a little, and it comes natural to them. But they shouldn't try to actually BE mages, that would end poorly, for them.
>>
>>47224255

Thank God it's not the 1990's where the errata-heavy Mage 2e Advance PDF would likely have been the actual published book, all without ready access to the internet for corrections, forum discussions and FAQ's.

How did we ever manage to play TTRPG's before the broadband internet?
>>
>>47224341

It's almost like trying to game the Supernal nature of Awakening has downsides.
>>
>How did we ever manage to play TTRPG's before the broadband internet?
Playing with friends instead of strangers, and making sure they were friends with binders of houserules.

No two AD&D games used the same rules.
>>
Anyone here have Curse of the Blue Nile?

Any good?
>>
>>47224341
>Unlike 1e, Proximi Blessings/spells invoke Paradox.
>However, they receive no free reach, paradox totally cancels the spell and invokes a harsh greater curse, and they cannot contain paradox. Their default ritual casting time in 5 hours, they cannot use Yantras, and their casting dice pool is limited to Willpower.
So what the hell is the point of playing a Proximus with fire Blessings instead of a Pyrokinetic from 2e core? You're still a Sleepwalker with supernatural powers, but if you're a pyrokinetic you can actually USE your powers without ritual casting for five hours, and you don't worry about Paradox.
>>
>>47222908
Paying over due bills?
>>
>>47223740
Hey Dave.

Just curious. Can a Mage summon a Goetic entity any more easily into their conscious mind than they can summon it into Twilight?

I ask because in 1e, Goetic Struggle was a Ruling spell, and was wondering if its equivalent would be different in 2nd.
>>
>>47224378
>>47224395

They're not "trying to game" the supernal nature of Awakenings or anything else untoward or subversive.

Unfortunately, they are born cursed and have some powers that seem alright, but in practice are extremely difficult to actually use, and more often than not, will not work and result in their lives being more miserable.

I'm not suggesting a total rewrite, only that they get cut a little break, maybe give them a free Reach and one Yantra or something to make their powers actually useful in real time among people.
>>
>>47223835
Doug, no one cares about your dumb shit.
>>
>>47224478
Or, OR!

Be batman, and just prepare your special magic powers while at home.
>>
>>47224387

Spiral-bound notebooks and the magic of Usenet. And by magic, I mean arguments.
>>
>>47224387
I didn't, I only played card games back then. Mostly I would find out I was playing a card wrong weeks or more into using it.
>>
>>47224425
>what the hell is the point of playing a Proximus with fire Blessings instead of a basic supernatural merit.

There is no point.

Being a proximus is inherent suffering, including their second-class status in the Pentacle and effective slavery by Seers.
>>
>>47224503

Proximi powers are still subject to dissonance.

Also, besides the 5 hour(!) casting time, most spells require Reach and factor penalties for extended duration and potency. Remember, without Reach, which Proximi do not have, the duration of spells is measured in turns, and they cannot use Yantras. Any paradox, which they cannot contain, both totally cancels the Blessing and afflicts them with a terrible curse.

Sorry, no Batman.
>>
>>47224425
...Because you want to be the scion of an inbred family being manipulated by Mages? Because they're an interesting and weird part of the setting?

This isn't DnD, you don't (or at least shouldn't) choose the kind of character you're playing based on what's most powerful. You choose based on what would make the most interesting character in your chronicle's setting.
>>
>>47224134
>>47224341
My problem with Proximi is that they're very restricted in what they're capable of. I don't necessarily mind that they have Paradox now, but they're SO mana intensive and yet they can only have five points of it. If they got one free Reach, if they could use Yantras, if their casting time was less than five hours, if they could grab up to four dot spells, if their Paradox didn't completely cancel their entire spell...

Also, what do they Clash of Wills with?

I don't think that "there's no reason to be a Proximus", since you can make a pretty good ritualist, even if they're wasting the entire day doing their ritual, but that tends to not want to be what I want Proximi to be like. I want Mages to be super ritualy, I want Proximi to be strange supernal psychics or X-Men. I like them to be naturally blessed, as opposed to truly Wise.

The one thing I do like about them is that they use Willpower as their dicepool (I didn't like that at first) and I like the flaws. The flaw system is way better than 1e's "iunno, lol" flaw.

>>47224378
>>47224395
The problem here is that, like >>47224478 says, they're not "gaming" the system. They're meant to be something odd. Like I said, I prefer them as "Talented, but not Wise". It's hard now to do any sort of non-ritually Dynasties, because anything other than a ritual requires active choice (and mana cost). There's no more "I cast supernal magic without really knowing what I'm doing".

It's also weird that they can't use Yantras, considering they're now more ritual focused.

>>47224536
Not really. Hell, the sample Dynasty has no real connection to Mage society.

>>47224604
Sometimes the drawbacks are not really worth it. I personally am fine with the Flaw, and *more* powers is better than fewer (and the can still get the Pyromancy merit anyway), but I can see why people wouldn't want to be a Proximus.
>>
>>47224604
>This isn't DnD, you don't (or at least shouldn't) choose the kind of character you're playing based on what's most powerful.
If I was choosing the kind of character I wanted to play based on what's the most powerful I wouldn't be playing ANY kind of Sleepwalker. Get your fallacies out of here.

Hell, even in D&D most people avoid playing what's most powerful because the most powerful stuff is SO broken it kills all the fun.
>>
FYI, The Mummy is on Netflix this month.
>>
>>47224700
>but I can see why people wouldn't want to be a Proximus.

Quite frankly, there's little reason why mages would want Proximi around. Human psychics and other oddities are more useful.

Proximi are not intended just to be sad, cursed servants. The rules need some tweaking to allow them to use their otherwise interesting powers in actual practice.
>>
>>47224798
I don't think human psychics are better. A Proximi can do a lot. They can even be psychics (or at least they could in 1e, I'm not sure in 2e. I'm not sure if Ghouls and Wolfblooded can take Supernatural Merits either).

I just think that, like... fix TWO of the problems and they'd be great. For me, if anyone wanted to play a Proximus, I'd do the following:

>One free Reach on all spells
>Paradox doesn't cancel the spell
>Paradox from Sleepers is one step lower
>Sleepers get +2 to keep from suffering a Breaking Point due to Quiescence, and tend to remember the Proximus' powers more
That would allow for the kind of Proximi I like having.

Also, Clash of Wills with Willpower.

Willpower is honestly a pretty shitty dice pool for them, too. Maaaaybe treat them as if they have a Rote? i.e. Willpower+Skill
>>
>>47225415
>>Sleepers get +2 to keep from suffering a Breaking Point due to Quiescence, and tend to remember the Proximus' powers more
>defeating entire purpose of quiescence
>>
>>47225415
>Willpower is honestly a pretty shitty dice pool for them, too. Maaaaybe treat them as if they have a Rote? i.e. Willpower+Skill
Most of my characters would have a dicepool of 7 at minimum rolling raw Willpower, which is better than a starting Mage. A starting Mage is, before yantras, in their BEST Arcanum, going to be rolling the same dicepool as a Proximus with Resolve 2 and Composure 2.
>>
>>47225609
>Most of my characters would have a dicepool of 7 at minimum rolling raw Willpower, which is better than a starting Mage.
why you put so many dots there?
>>
>>47225636
I don't like having low Resistance stats.
>>
>>47225749
Sounds like the same reason a lot of tabletop players are orphans. Bad experience with a GM.

Or you could just have one particular area you always minmax.
>>
>>47225447
Proximi aren't Mages. Their power is Supernal, but should be closer to Attainments. I like Proximi that have to deal with the fact that people *don't* forget their shit. That's one of the things I liked in 1e. My one Proximus character thought he was a superhero. I wanted him to draw attention to himself with his relatively mundane Blessings and get roped into Mage stuff without knowing what he was getting into.

Proximi who don't have a magic "forget me now" veil to hide behind is how I like them.

>>47225609
Holy Jesus fuck, what? I've literally never had a character with 7 Willpower without some shenanigans like free Attribute dots or chargen Experiences. I feel like I'm gimping myself if I go to 6, and I'll never go below 5.

Also, Mages get Rotes. Proximi here don't.

>>47225766
>>47225749
I don't like having low Willpower, but I've never managed 7 without shooting myself in the foot elsewhere.
>>
>>47225766
I have a reflexive allergy to both mind control powers and running out of consumable resources.

Doesn't help that Willpower was a bitch and a half to refresh in 1e.
>>
>>47225787
>I feel like I'm gimping myself if I go to 6
>gimping yourself to get two stats to 3
Physical tertiary, or play a Mage. Done and done.
>>
>>47225798
Sounds a lil OCD to me
>>
>>47225817
There are a lot of good Attributes. Strength 3 is good. Stamina 3 is good. Gotta ignore the Physicals if you want 6 Willpower.

>>47225798
>and running out of consumable resources.
Same. I spend Willpower like it's going out of style.
>>
>>47225952
>Gotta ignore the Physicals if you want 6 Willpower.
Or play something that gets a bonus Attribute dot, like any Mage or the right Vampire Clan.
>>
>>47226124
It's a good thing all my games are crossovers where I get to choose my character type based on which gives me the most free stuff!
Oh wait...
>>
>>47225952
>>47226177
Or you just play a character with a 1 in anything (which admittedly, was a better idea in 1e, where starting with 1s and 3s and then buying the 1s up to 2s saved you XP vs starting with all 2s and buying those up to 3s).
>>
>>47224767

This movie is even better than I remembered! A true cinematic masterpiece.
>>
>>47226282
It's good, but its sequels suck. Except for the first Scorpion King movie, which isn't really a sequel, but is awesome in a cheesy pulp action way.

But then its sequels are atrocious.
>>
>My one Proximus character thought he was a superhero

What is it with people who want to play a superhero game but instead of playing one try to make World of Darkness like one?
>>
>>47222649
I could see maybe making it a merit. That way only some people would have it. ST could give it to people who they don't want to be brute forcible, and non-Mage PCs in a crossover game could could get it to help them not be fucked with too much and not have an adequate way of resisting. It should probably only be purchasable by non-Mages seeing as how Mages have other ways to deal with stuff like that.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.