[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bebop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: cowboybebop.jpg (244 KB, 1146x786) Image search: [Google]
cowboybebop.jpg
244 KB, 1146x786
I want to do a Cowboy Bebop type campaign. Modern-like game but set out in space. What system would work best?
>>
Maybe try toning down Eclipse Phase?
>>
>>47211683
Normally I'd say Traveller, but someone should have the bebop pdf.
>>
>>47212266
>Modern
>Eclipse Phase
That'd take a little more than some "toning down", hombre.

>>47211683
Traveller is the archetypal Cowboy Bebop system.
>>
Traveller could work, but everybody is going to be Jet Black. A middle aged dude who musters out of their job after 4 plus tours of duty.
>>
File: bebop.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
bebop.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47211683
I've posted these in the last thread made for this.
So I'll repost these in case you are creative enough to devise your own rules or if some other Anon has the missing book.
>>
>>47212564
Then point out to people that the earlier you leave, the more choice you have over your future advances.
>>
>>47212660
WoD Bebop?
I guess...
>>
File: merit-flaws.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
merit-flaws.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47212660
That was the character sheet. Which is very easy to understand for anyone familiar with the oWoD/cWoD system. With the exception of Bebop/Cowboy ratings and Inspiration. Which seem to be ratings and expendable resources.

Posted is the merits/flaws list.
>>
>>47212660
>>47212675
Yeah, I was gonna say that's quite clearly a WoD reskin.
>>
I'd just use GURPS or Fate, depending on how granular/narrative you want to get.

Maybe the Firefly RPG?
>>
File: ships.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ships.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47212675
Yeah, I was getting to that.

I got these in a big WoD book bundle. Which included alot of the published White Wolf stuff but also a bunch of fanmade shit. Including other supernatural addons and such to WoD.

But alas I'm missing the "core rulebook" that explains the couple of stats that aren't obvious.

Posted is the pdf for your Ship background.
>>
>>47211683
Narrative: Firefly

Crunch: Savage Worlds
>>
File: bebop-univ.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
bebop-univ.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47212675
>>47212694

Since you two are obviously familiar with WoD and such what do you think the Cowboy/Bebop ratings and expendable resources could be used for?

Posted is a summary of the Bebop universe.
>>
>>47211683
No idea, but you should bring shrooms to one session.
>>
>>47212735
I'm familiar enough with WoD to identify a derivative system, but I'm afraid I've got no idea on those. There were these random subsystems in all the books. Like, what the fuck is inspiration and why is it not just willpower?
>>
>>47212799
Yeah, and facets. Forgot about those.

Well I'm guessing that facets are like Virtues or such.

Inspiration could be used to re-roll a failed roll, rather than boost one before rolling.

Or it and willpower could be used the same way (to get 1 auto success on a check before rolling) but to different skill subsets. There may be some overlap. But Willpower is used for anything force of will could see you through. Physical tasks and such. And Inpiration could be for mental tasks.
>>
>>47212734
>savage worlds
I think there's a splat with a bunch of martial arts styles which would fit in nicely.
>>
Another vote for traveller or the bebop rpg.
>>
Fragged Empire might work pretty well.
It's far future for the most part but has spacecraft combat built in which is nice.
>>
>>47211683
Traveller
>>
>>47211683
You could try adapting Rogue Trader, toning the grimdark way and way down. But honestly then you end up with Traveller.
>>
>>47211683
For Cowboy Bebop I would probably use Savage Worlds. It does the pulpy feel and breezy conflict well. It handles chases and dogfights better than most systems. Has enough variety for some oddball characters, but it's not so open ended that you'll end up with really weird shit or characters who are drastically over or under powered. Tons of sourcebooks, both official and fan made, so all the work is done for you already. Check out the Science Fiction Companion and that should put you on the right track.
>>
>>47212295
>Traveller is the archetypal Cowboy Bebop system.
>>47212564
>Traveller could work
>>47213976
>Traveller

I would definitely not use Traveller. That system is slow and meticulous, and the characters are generally low level mooks, not the types who are skilled enough to be doing bounty hunting and capers and whatnot. If you want to run a "realistic", hard sci fi game, Traveller is a good choice. If you want it to look and feel like Cowboy Bebop, use something else.
>>
>>47212564

Hey, he's young enough to be your boyfriend. I mean...brother.
>>
just use nwod, fluff and improvise the rest. finished.
>>
File: MFW.jpg (376 KB, 1080x1056) Image search: [Google]
MFW.jpg
376 KB, 1080x1056
>>47212660
>Cowboy Bebop
>Archery
>>
>>47214125

There's a dude running around with a samurai sword, it's conceivable another guy could try archery.
>>
File: Wookiee_swg.jpg (378 KB, 928x760) Image search: [Google]
Wookiee_swg.jpg
378 KB, 928x760
>>47214125

Just fluff it like this.

Or you know have a compound bow w/ explosive tips or something. How different would a bow work in a zero G environment anyway?
>>
>>47212266
Eclipse Phase has no chill. It's balls-to-the-walls transhumanism, with some space stuff thrown in.

Traveller might be good if you want to go more on the gritty side. Combat tends to be quite lethal for the PCs when guns are involved, which isn't very close to Bebop, where Spike can dodge bullets while doing crazy martial arts moves.

Maybe take a look at Edge of The Empire? It's the latest iteration of the Star Wars RPG, but they split it up into 3 books: Edge of the Empire (smugglers, bounty hunters, mercenaries, techies, etc.), Age of Rebellion (Soldiers, Tacticians, Spies), and Force and Destiny (Jedi, Sith).

So, obviously you'll want to use mostly EotE. There's a lot of flavor in the book that you'll have to ignore, and obviously the Force Sensitive class should be banned, but otherwise it seems pretty perfect for the Bebop universe. It's a fairly "cinematic" system, so the players are fairly tough-to-kill and can have some decent fights against a big horde of goons or a really badass villain. Ship/vehicle combat is also pretty good, and they give you some decent choices: add a big-ass laser to the Z-95 fighter, and you've got the Swordfish). The dice mechanic is kinda weird but if you use an online roller it's not too bad and has a lot of depth.
>>
It's been awhile since I saw it, but were there psychics in cowboy bebop? I remember the one immortal kid but I can't remember if there was anything else.
>>
>>47214273

Spike's native american buddy gave him some cryptic pronouncements, and I think there was someone in the Red Dragon organization who was also handing out vague prophecies, but that was more mystic mumbo jumbo, not psychic powers.
>>
>>47214237
EotE is actually the perfect system, especially in the sense that characters can't be killed unless it's thematically appropriate. You'd just need to scrub out the Star Wars flavor and inject it with Bebop.

Hopefully once I finish my space adventure One Roll Engine game that would work for this as well.

>>47214273
Negative, the closest thing to a superhuman, if you ignore Spike's ridiculous resistance to otherwise lethal damage, is the clown from Pierot le Fou, and he just had really good technology backing him up.
>>
File: Tanker.jpg (635 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
Tanker.jpg
635 KB, 800x1280
I would use something Fate Core-based, probably Mindjammer (for some extra crunch), or just grabbing the starship rules from Sails Full of Stars or Aether Sea (possibly grabbing some stuff from Baroque Space Opera).

Mainly because I'd want to play Cowboy Bebop with something light, fast, cinematic and dramatic but with some room for crunch or extras depending on where you want to focus.

Since money is always a problem, I'd probably add a Resources stress track and let players steal or do jobs for resource boosts/replenishment.
>>
>>47211683
Christ, people, just use the Firefly system and refluff things a little. It's the UR example of modern tech in space.
>>
>>47217480
This. Just up the martial arts and combat elements. Jet, for example, would have the same fighting abilities as River.
>>
>>47217480
Everyone has their token system the love.

Which also means they hate all other systems with the burning passion of a thousand suns.
>>
>>47217480
>It's the UR example of modern tech in space.

You mean the game or the show?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.