[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eisenhorn Question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Eisenhorn.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Eisenhorn.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
Hi, I was looking into reading the Eisenhorn series, and would normally start with the Omnibus, but the cheapest I can find for that is 50 dollars. It's much cheaper to buy them individually, but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

For starters, I have heard the Omnibus described as "unabridged." Does this mean that the singular versions of the novels (Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus) are in any way abridged?

If so, is it just the mass market paperback version that's abridged (http://www.amazon.com/Xenos-Warhammer-40-000-Novels/dp/0743411692/ref=tmm_mmp_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=), considering that it has, according to Amazon, about 100 less pages than the re-issues paperback version?

Also, this is maybe a dumb question, but the short stories that come with the Omnibus come between book 1-2 and 2-3 respectively, correct? So if I were to purchase them individually, that would be the order to read them in?

Finally, I'm sure you guys get this a lot, but would this series be a decent enough introduction to the 40k lore?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer if you know anything, or to call me a retard if you'd like.
>>
I have no idea about the first question, as I bought my omnibus on the first run it had, but I can tell you imo it's one of the best 40k books out there. It gives you an insight into the broader imperium, and the lives of people there beyond 'muh only war'. Both the short stories are worth a read too. I still read it maybe once a year since I enjoy it so much.
>>
Yeah, the Unabridged version has two really short stories 'Blackcloth for a Crown addional' and another one about a returning army regiment and murders in a hive city. Both pretty good. Good place to start off.
>>
>>47194599
-I was able to find a pdf of the omnibus with two minutes of googling
-The omnibus I found was the books plus the short stories
-I read the series for the first time a few weeks ago as my first real intro into 40k; found it quite good, read the entire trilogy in basically one go
>>
>>47194982
>Reading hundreds of pages of a book through a PDF

Oh god, no.
>>
>>47194599
OP here: Bought the Mass Market Paperback version of Xenos, kind of weird that the page number is smaller than the paperback, since is should be the opposite, but it should be fine.
>>
>>47195058
Read first 3 Gaunt's novels and I'm reading book 2 of Eisenhorn on a Kindle at the moment. Pretty good reads.

I do find that Abnett uses some really odd wording and phrases compared to the authors I'm used to though (Banks, Reynolds, Pratchett etc.).
>>
>>47194599
>Hi, I was looking into reading the Eisenhorn series

Don't
>>
>>47200011
Why not? It's one of the only good 40k series.
>>
>>47198868
Inb4 wet leopard growl
>>
Hands down the best set of books GW/BL ever put out, and easily some of my favourite (inc. non-40k). The other stuff by Abnett is also generally good (one or two misses, but understandable given the volume he's produced).

GW/BL really need to produce more books outside of the "muhrine-shoot-bang" genre - detective stories, political stuff etc. But I guess they can't push their latest plastic-crack with that.
>>
>>47200011
Ignore that guy.

>>47200037
Listen to this guy.

>>47200078
wut

>>47200118
>(inc. non-40k).
Nigger what the fuck are you reading?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.