[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>armor made out of metal, like steel or bronze, cannot be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
>armor made out of metal, like steel or bronze, cannot be enchanted well
>however, armor made out of wood or stone is easy to enchant and can boast stronger enchantments
>>
>>47146571

Hmmmmm stone would be no good, too heavy and brittle. Super enchanted wood armor could be legit, but it has a real druid/elf lord of the forest type feel
>>
>>47146571
>toughness enchantments on balsa

>>47146619
Stone wouldn't be great for armor, but obsidian counts as stone, right?
>>
>>47146916

Obsidian shatters into razors. Obsidian is great for weapons, but you would have to be retarded to make armor out of it, evendors if its enchanted you couldn't pay me to wear that.
>>
>>47146916
good luck wearing basicly glass to protect yourself
>>
>>47146968
Does a shield count as armor? You could stud it with obsidian shards.
>>
>>47146571
>metal works well with physical enchantments (fire thunder force etc)
>crystalline stuff like rocks are perfect for spiritual enchantments (exorcism etheric)
>wood bones and leather can be drenched in alchemical shit for unique upgrades
>>
>>47147018

Okay obsidian shard studs al la metal spike are cool as long as the sheild isnt made of obsidian.
>>
>>47147018
shield is as much of a weapon as a parrying dagger
>>
>>47146968
>Obsidian is great for weapons
Not really, they're completely useless against anything resembling armour.
>>
>>47146571
I run a similar system, where things that were once or are alive are primo magic conducting materials and metals are deleterious and inert to it (making heavier armor partially a response to magic)

This makes bone, elven iron wood, or crystal the top tier enchantable armor material. Except you lose magic resistance!
>>
>>47146571
Clearly the solution is to pad the inside of your armor with wood. This may also allow a thinner layer of metal on top due to it having reinforcement underneath.
>>
>>47147082
Oh god, imagine wood splintering and stabbing into you as you move.
>>
>>47146571

I'm with this guy: >>47147079

Sure you can't enchant metal armor, but it seems if it was immune to enchantment it'd be just the thing you needed to protect yourself from magic.
>>
>>47147046

I wont deny that, there are obviously better things, im just saying it can be used as a weapon, and it actually works as a wrapon. If you get a hit on where they dont have armor obsidian weapons are brutal. I remember this one time I was watching TV and there was this bit where a dude with an obsidian rimed club went ham on a realistic facsimile of a horse head. He beheaded it, and then when the medical examiner took a look he said it looked like a chainsaw wound. Not everyone wears armor you know? I think an arguement could be made for it too some degree. True metal weapons are superior, but obsidian isnt terrible, and magic. Besides if they have armor (depending on the type mind you) your sword or axe aint getting through either.
>>
>>47147096
yeah, just put it on the outside
>>
>>47147096
Well cared for wood doesn't just splinter on its own, besides like all armor you would also have cloth under it, that in this case would catch splinters.
>>47147134
Putting the soft material on the outside removes the primary benefit of having the hard material, and thus you may as well skip the metal at that point.
>>
>>47146974
>>47146968
>stone is bad for armor
>obsidian is stone
>obsidian is bad for armor
We all agree, then?
>>
>>47147046
That's why you enchant the obsidian weapon, ya dingus.
>>
>>47147215

On that yes, we seem to all be in consensus that stone/obsidian armor is a shit idea. That means there is probably some dorf lover out there whos tried it while his group looks on in frustration.
>>
Does paper count as wood?
>>
>>47147277
Sure, and paper armor was historically a thing
>>
>>47147300

Dont forget the silk shirts anon, gotta mention the silk shirts.
>>
>>47147334
Silk is from silk worms, though, not trees.
>>
>>47147350

Eh its organic, and I figured while we were mentioning obscure and slightly unbelievable things used as armor I might as well bring up silk. Though by this point im pretty sure everyone on tg is aware of it, and my post may have been redundant
>>
File: Havel_the_Rock.png (207 KB, 300x573) Image search: [Google]
Havel_the_Rock.png
207 KB, 300x573
>>47146619
>Hmmmmm stone would be no good, too heavy and brittle
u wot m8
>>
>>47147407
That looks more like bad cast/pig iron to me, but then again, I never played dark souls.
>>
>>47147459
Item description is
>Armor worn by Havel the Rock's warriors. Carved from solid rock, its tremendous weight is matched only by the defense it provides.
>Havel's warriors never flinched nor retreated from battle. Those unfortunate enough to face them were inevitably beaten to a pulp.
So it is stone, even if it does look tend to look like metal.
>>
>>47147407
>vidya
You appear to be lost.
>>
File: Havel_shield.png (371 KB, 408x532) Image search: [Google]
Havel_shield.png
371 KB, 408x532
>>47147497
Don't forget about his giant retarded stone shield.
>>
>>47146619
If it can be enchanted, reality is not as important. Carve yourself some granite breastplate, enchant for lightness and strength.
>>
>>47147508
>not taking inspiration from many sources
>>
>>47147508
>dark souls
>not /tg/ as fuck
You seem to have a cock in your mouth.
>>
>>47146968
>Obsidian shatters into razors
Seems to me like good potential for magical flechette arrow heads and elementally charged shrapnel from holy explosives, but maybe I'm just being reactionary because I don't want to see mythril/adamantium trotted out for the umpteenth time.

>Obsidian is great for weapons, but you would have to be retarded to make armor out of it,
Could have one or two niche uses, but they'd be a juxtaposition of modern military applications with a literally stone age material.
- A shield with a reactive armor layer behind obsidian. On the first hit, it explodes shards of glass at whatever just struck it, but it's pretty useless afterwards
> evendors if its enchanted you couldn't pay me to wear that.

See, I'd imagine it'd fit well as a fluff item for suicide vest wearing zealots or ritually drugged up psycho melee units. It's not armor in the sense that it's meant to protect the wearer so much as armor that demoralises the enemy that bit more making them that bit more likely for their to panic and break, making the wearer that bit more frightening.

>>47146571
I'd like this to go a bit further, for example total inability to use fire enchantments on most wood, except for maybe a few exceptions like driftwood; maybe meteoric iron being able to enchant with certain specific electrical elements, bog oak being a generally pre-enchanted material but one that's hard to combine with anything else, cactus being too flimsy for almost all applications but excellent at either water or poison.

Basically, if armor was in a setting so specific you could do a police procedural bit with the remains of a piece and determine a lot about it, rather than "yeah, its an iron bucker, here's it's stats."
>>
>>47149612
Meant to add
>as a fluff item for suicide vest wearing zealots
as a fluff item for suicide vest wearing zealots ("like glass from the volcano we too shall erupt in heat and fury / Death! Death We are Death!!!")
>>
>>47147407
It always cracks me up that the stone armour itself isn't enough. It needs a crest, also carved out of stone.
>>
>>47146571
Go the SaGa Frontier 2 Route by making Anima (Force of all living beings/nature) or a facsimile of it a thing in your setting. (Anything made from a living thing can be effective for or act as conduits for it)
>>
File: 1401999529833.jpg (40 KB, 789x604) Image search: [Google]
1401999529833.jpg
40 KB, 789x604
>>47147508
>>
>>47147508
>>47147558
>>47149745

Guys, stop it. You can't fight here. This is the war room!
>>
Given the choice, would you rather wear steel armor, or wooden armor enchanted to be as strong as steel while being as light as wood (as well as being flammable).
>>
>>47149644
Go big or go home.
>>
>>47149901
I can't think of a single campaign where I was not set on fire, so I'll take steel.
>>
File: 1279696118.jpg (69 KB, 358x392) Image search: [Google]
1279696118.jpg
69 KB, 358x392
>>47146571
>>
>>47147407
Reminds me of a thing from some random kids series I read; the adventuring party of a guy who fell into faerieland thinks he's dead - he's not, he's briefly fallen back into the mortal world - and they get a giant to try and resurrect him, which calls up a demon that was watching the guy from the underworld, who then proceeds to imitate him in doppelgänger form until the guy gets back to faerieland. One of them has to go back to the underworld, so they have a duel.
The demon summons up thick granite armour and weapons from hell, which thanks to being a demon he has no trouble wielding or moving about with, but he's pretty hard to kill until he gets stabbed through the slits of his visor
>>
>>47149901
>>47149938
How easily flammable is a breastplate-sized hunk of polished wood, though? Where does the fire even start?
>>
>>47147277
Ah, paper armor... Another unappreciated thing of history to be salty about.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.