[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are shotguns the best anti-zombie weapon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 28
Why are shotguns the best anti-zombie weapon?
>>
>>47125162
Because shotguns excel against soft targets, which zombies. are.
>>
>>47125162
ask /k/
>>
>>47125181
Literally "let's use the warp to power the world" the anime
>>
>>47125162

Really depends on the zombies. If they're the kind who infect you via their gore, then shotguns are a bad choice. Likewise if they're magic zombies that don't care if they have a head or not. For zombies like that, you want a polax to break their legs so you can run like fuck.
>>
>>47125283
>polax

>polearm meme

Just hit them with a fucking bat, you tool.
>>
>>47125162
It's not. A lightweight melee weapon and a pistol is ideal. Revolvers are nice because of the ease of maintenance.
>>
>>47125549

>melee weapon
>effective against something at it's most dangerous when it's close

You wouldn't hunt a lion with a tomahawk.
>>
>>47125549
Revolvers are like fucking clockwork, revolvers are reliable is a Hollywood meme that accidentally into real gun thought as a true urban legend.. But its not, revolvers are shit. Pistols are shot too. Why wouldn't you use a long arm? You're retarded
>>
>>47125171
This. And the spread reduces the need for accuracy. It also does more damage at close range and can potentially hit multiple targets if they group together.
>>
>>47125549
>Revolvers
>Ease of Maintenance

The revolver meme is about them being reliable. Revolvers are built like a clock internally.

Semi-automatic pistols like the Glock are stuuuupid easy to field strip in comparison.
>>
>>47125731
And stopping power. Most pistols don't actually have enough force to make a person fall down - they do it on their own through shock. A shotgun though will knock a man on his ass.
>>
>>47125162
Most are relatively robust and easy to come by. They also blast larger than average holes in soft targets. Because of this you can sever the spine or pop the brain with less effort while using less ammo than an automatic.

they also look really cool.
>>
>>47125741
Revolvers are simple and the mechanisms that move it are usually designed to not impacted by the gun firing. Single action revolvers literally have less than two dozen parts, including retaining pins and grip plates, and of those only the trigger, a leaf spring or two, the hammer, and the cylinder actually move.
That being said, longarms are better.
>>
>>47125731
Shotgun spread is also a Hollywood meme. Google box o truth shotgun

Shotguns are more accurate than pistols.
>>
>>47125751

This is important. Penetration isn't that useful against something that doesn't bleed or require its internal organs.
>>
>>47125741
>you want a gun that is easy to disassemble

>because it breaks often enough that you need to be able to easily disassemble it

:^)
>>
File: Shotgun Spread Chart.jpg (54 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Shotgun Spread Chart.jpg
54 KB, 600x400
>>47125731
>the spread reduces the need for accuracy
>can potentially hit multiple targets if they group together
You need to lay off the vidya. Shotgun spread, even without any sort of a choke, really is NOT that extreme.
>>47125821
You field strip a firearm in order to clean it, dumbass.
>>
>>47125838
>You field strip a firearm in order to clean it, dumbass.

>[:^) INTENSIFIES]

Are you so blinded by your own self-centered "intelligence" to not recognize humor?
>>
File: Pretending.png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
Pretending.png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>47125896
>>
With any weapon except a shotgun you need to be aiming directly at the head to score a one-shot kill. With a shotgun, you don't need to be quite such the good shot to hit the head. The difference between scoring a headshot with a pistol vs a shotgun is about the same as trying to hit bottle on a wall at twenty paces using a baseball vs using a basket ball. It's a decent improvement.
Personally though, I'd prefer a tank. Wouldn't even fire the gun, I'd just drive over anything that got in the way.
>>
>>47125948
>obvious joke

>REEEE SUPER CEREAL!!

>dude it was a joke

>LOL PREEEETENDING TO BE REEEETARDED

I don't see how you think you aren't proving my point.
>>
>>47125838
Doesn't need to be extreme. Even a spread of a couple inches is a boon to to your odds of hitting something as opposed to a close miss.
>>
>>47125956
>I'd just drive over anything that got in the way.

This is how you foul and damage your tracks.
>>
>>47125956
>I'd prefer a tank. Wouldn't even fire the gun, I'd just drive over anything that got in the way.
You would break track and be without transportation within a WEEK, anon.
>>
>>47125162
Because you're wrong, crossbows are the best.
>>
>>47126008
>>47125976
Fine, then I'd have a wheeled Armoured Personnel Carrier.
Like this thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marauder_(vehicle)
>>
>>47125162
They're not. 7.62x54r and .308 are the best for zombie hunting. But really, all that matters is that it's more powerful than .22lr, is common where you are, and isn't prohibitively large (you know, like your 3/4" bore shitgun).
>>
>>47125162
They're not really, it's just that shotguns are common among civilians, which zombie media protagonists typically are.
>>
>>47126008
>You would break track and be without transportation within a WEEK, anon.

Well, by then, the zombie apocalypse should be long over, so I don't see the problem.
>>
>>47125838
40" spread is kind of a lot, and 20 yards isn't very far.
>>
>>47125162
I think a simple spear would prolly be your best beat. Makes no noise and you can keep the bastards at a distance. Firearms are a last resort kind of thing.
>>
>>47126111
It's a lot less than it is in video games or media.

But this
>>47126080
Or just an assault rifle or battle rifle, depending on zombie rules.
>>
File: Scorpion Evo 3 with brace.jpg (361 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
Scorpion Evo 3 with brace.jpg
361 KB, 3000x1688
>>47125162
Personally I'm a fan of pistol caliber carbines.
A 9mm or .45 round to the head is gonna kill a zombie dead, just as good as buckshot, and the things are pretty easy to get good hits with.
They're significantly lighter than a shotgun and shells.
Magazines make for faster reloading in combat should the need arise, no fumbling with shells.
Pic related's pretty easy to throw toether, less thank $1k all told. $850 for the pistol setup Scorpion, and anywhere from $50 to $100 for any of the "arm brace" products on the market that don't legally count as a stock, saving you from having to pay a $300 tax stamp.
>>
Aside from the previously posted benefits vs soft targets shotgun shells, both 12 and 16 gauge, are very common. Go into any sporting goods store that sells firearms and there will be shotgun shells. The only other calibres that I can make the same statement for are 9mm parabellum and some flavor of 22 rimfire.

Also in a pinch you can use it to shoot locks off doors and shit.
>>
>>47127009
>and some flavor of 22 rimfire.
And do keep in mind, this can actually be kind of a bitch to find, because it often gets bought up as soon as it arrives.
>Also in a pinch you can use it to shoot locks off doors and shit.
That's actually a REALLY bad idea with normal loads. Lots of flying shrapnel, the shot itself, et cetera, means you've got a good chance to hurt yourself.
Door breaching is done with these bad boys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaching_round
Shotguns are WONDERFULLY versatile, having a round for just about any use imaginable, but the trick is having those rounds on-hand when you need them.
>>
>>47127009

Why do people think shooting point blank at locks is a good idea?
>>
>>47126454
>A 9mm or .45 round to the head is gonna kill a zombie dead
I'll agree with .45, I'd triple tap with 9mm though. That said, I see no reason to use a carbine over a bullpup rifle if you have access to a wide selection of firearms, and if you're limited to the sporting goods section of your local Walmart I'd probably take a Nagant over anything else they'd have there.
>>
>>47125162
Quite a few reasons. In no particular order:

1. Ammo is easily available.
2. Easy to maintain.
3. High stopping power. A shotgun will knock a zombie down fairly easily even if it doesn't kill.
4. Very effective against soft targets, ie zombies. Especially crucial with zombies, really. A pistol might kill if you hit just tight, otherwise you just expended a bullet and alerted nearby zombies to put a useless hole in it. A shotgun can dismember if it doesn't kill, and a shot to the head or face pretty much guarantees sufficient brain damage to kill.
5. Solid accuracy, especially with slugs. The whole spread thing is a meme.

The main reason honestly is just how devastating a shotgun is to an unarmored human. Regular people die just as effectively if you put a small hole in them, so a shotgun blast is often superfluous. But a zombie needs pretty severe damage to take down, so a shotgun is just the thing.
>>
>>47127160
You can use a shotgun to blast apart a door lock. Provided the door is wood, and you have breaching rounds.
>>
>>47127201
>The whole spread thing is a meme.
According to >>47125838, it spreads to the diameter of a large pizza at the range of half a pool length.
>>
>>47125963
Forget it, Anon. It's /k/.
Their sense of humor got shot off during the war.
You know, the war they didn't actually fight in but pretend they did?
>>
>>47127175
>I'd triple tap with 9mm though
Why? I mean good quality hollowpoint 9mm will still tear out pretty much the entire brainstem with proper shot placement.
>I see no reason to use a carbine over a bullpup rifle
Weight and size. That little Scorpion loaded weighs a hair over half what an SA80 does loaded, it's TINY (23 inches long with a sig brace, if you do the paperwork to put the actual stock on it and make it an SBR, it comes in at 16 inches with the stock folded) and you can fit more rounds for it in your bag.
Plus it costs like half what a good quality bullpup would.

Admittedly, I'm also generally biased against bullpups due to muh anecdotal evidence. Most of the ones I've personally shot have had lousy triggers (I'm sure there are plenty with good triggers, but I've never had the pleasure to shoot one), and since I trained with and used conventional layout rifles for a long time, bullpup reloading feels super awkward for me.
>>
File: 20-11.jpg (52 KB, 540x404) Image search: [Google]
20-11.jpg
52 KB, 540x404
>>47127244
That's not like how it is in video games where if the bad guy isn't 5' away from you or less, you may as well not even be shooting him.

>Full: This choke has tight constriction and a dense pattern, delivering approximately 70 percent of a shell's total pellets in a 30-inch circle at 40 yards. It's often used for trap shooting, waterfowl pass shooting, turkey hunting and buckshot loads.

30" at 40 yards definitely requires you to aim, that is a very small fraction of what you can see at 40y. You're not going to 'just hit' someone with your magic shotgun spread by pointing in his general direction. You need to actually aim. That's what I meant by spread is a meme. It doesn't spread to cover the whole fucking 90 degree arc infront of you with death 5' away from you.

It delivers a tight group of lead balls exactly where you point it in a very predictable manner.

And each shot isn't death, you want most of them to hit.

And you are not physically pushing the target over with a shotgun anymore than with any other gun. You are still standing up and shooting it from your shoulder, and it's not knocking you over is it? And you have the added effect of the jet of propellant gas pushing back as well as the projectile itself.

Pic related-- 33" spread.
>>
>>47127160

Good play if you have powder rounds. Bad if you're using anything else.
>>
Shotguns are often thought best cause its traditional. Think Ash, the marine in Doom, etc. Makes a cool *clik-KLAK* when pumped also.

I prefer boar spears to keep them at range, H&K smgs with 9mm HP cause brains are scrambled eggs yo, and incendaries.
>>
>>47127562
I would say that if the zombie is half a football field away it's not worth shooting. Might as well just avoid it instead.

It's not like there are points or exp or even loot for shooting them.
>>
>>47127695
So at even closer ranges there is less spread and you still need to aim
>>
>>47127393
>costs like half what a good quality bullpup would.
Everything costs the same in a post apocalyptic wasteland.
>Admittedly, I'm also generally biased against bullpups
XK8 is a bullpup conversion of the Daewoo K2, which is the lovechild of the M16 and AK. It's pretty much the perfect weapon.
>>
>>47125639
Melee weapons don't run out of ammo.
>>
>>47127996

True, but guns don't require being in arm's reach if the flesh-eating monster. Which turns you into one if it so much as bites you.

A knife is useful and I'd certainly want one, but if you're so concerned about ammo you should just be avoiding zombies instead of fighting them.

If you saw a rabid dog on the street you wouldn't fucking charge it with a search and rescue knife.
>>
>>47128061
Boarspears, anon. Get enough people together to form a phalanx and you can slaughter undead hordes until you collapse from dehydration.
>>
File: funny.png (23 KB, 595x160) Image search: [Google]
funny.png
23 KB, 595x160
>>47127996
>implying I will ever run out of ammo
>>
>>47128133
>create pike phalanx to fight undead
top fucking kek, this needs to happen
>>
>>47127722

Aim, yes, but you don't have to aim as well as you would with a pistol or a rifle. There's a reason that shotguns are used for hunting, and were used for trench clearing. Try hitting a clay pigeon with a pistol.
>>
>>47125751
>shotgun
>knocking down the target
If it doesn't knock you down firing it, it won't knock down the target.
>>
>>
File: Roman squad.jpg (201 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Roman squad.jpg
201 KB, 640x480
>>47128162
>Don't worry ma'am, we're from the zombie relieve force
>>
>>47127175
Why in gods name would you take a long, heavy, bolt action rifle over a compact semi-automatic carbine firing far more common ammunition in a survival situation? Especially a zombie one.

Also .45 is not more effective than 9mm.
>>
>>47125162
>Best
Because someone created this cliche. In all honesty, any magazine-fed gun will be better.

And any magazine-fed long arm will be better. Meaning all kinds and types of rifles that happen to use mags win. Bonus points for ability to fire semi and full auto.
Because unlike what Hollywood might taught you, short controlled bursts are the best way to not only fire automatic weapons, but also deadly effective AND ACCURATE
>>
>>47127695
Actually zombies do have loot. Useful tools or even money if people still use them
>>
>>47129738
Money does not tend to survive being washed in bleach to kill zombie virus well.
>>
File: P90.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
P90.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
How well would a P90 fare against Zombies?
>>
>>47129689
that's not a phalanx
>>
>>47125335
>a bat
>a fucking bat

I don't have a reaction image good enough to describe how fucking stupid stupid you are so I'll just break it down for you.

Why the fuck would you use a bat against something that can't feel pain? Sure, you might break a couple of bones but that would only slow them down at best. Whereas, with a single swing of a halberd you could sever at least one leg, stopping it dead in its tracks, at twice the reach of the bat. Plus, you get to carry around a sexy as fuck halberd all day. Other female survivors would be throwing themselves at you to get dat sweet polearm, if you know what I mean.

Fucking amateurs, I swear.
>>
>>47129761
Compact and a high capacity but without the AP rounds you will never find as a civilian its just a less lethal AR that will be hard to find parts/ammo for.
>>
>>47129761
Higher magazine capacity than your average assault rifle, not nearly as heavy and unwieldy as other weapons with drum or box fed ammo, so probably really really well. You don't need stopping power against a decomposing corpse. Personally I'd think a P90 would be the best anti zombie weapon, but then I have loved the things ever since I saw them on SG1 as a kid.
>>
>>47125162
Yes, because loud noises don't attract attention or anything.
>>
>>47129781
You're right, it's better than a phalanx.
>>
>>47125963
>obvious joke

Is a joke obvious if nobody finds it funny? Anyways, pretending to be retarded is still pretending to be retarded, if you're doing it to make other people laugh, or yourself.
>>
>>47129761
Vector .45 > P90

Still, a good choice
>>
>>47129790
This anon gets it.
>>
The best weapon against zombies are maces and etc...
>>
You just need a trained unit of people in bite proof biohazard suits with polearms. Zombies won't have a chance.
>>
>>47125162

They aren't. Low capacity, slow to reload, poor range even with slugs. A suppressed AR-15 with subsonic ammo would be best.
>>
>>47129781
>whole squad has to walk in phalanx just to get to the battlefield
Really anon?

>>47129737
>not going full Rambo on the zombies
Do you even Zombie Apocalypse anon?
>>
File: howmanykeks.jpg (16 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
howmanykeks.jpg
16 KB, 292x257
>>47125731
> potentially hit multiple targets
Not "load with a solid slug and maybe penetrate through to the zombie behind the primary target".
It's so funny I went inside and stayed there for 6 months without needing to use a weapon until the zombies fell apart from decomposition, scavengers and the weather.
>>
>>47129935
The only anons who understands how stupid the whole concept is.
>>
File: fuck all your shit.jpg (19 KB, 736x369) Image search: [Google]
fuck all your shit.jpg
19 KB, 736x369
>>47125162
>Why are shotguns the best anti-zombie weapon?
Because zombie stuff is written by spastics that have only fired shotguns and bolt action rifles.

Get a 50 on the cunts, it'll take off arms, legs, heads out to huge ranges and fuck all their shit up so bad they'll wish they stayed dead.
>>
>>47128162
>phalanx
the greek one or the macedonian one? either of the two sucks, since it got destroyed by a bunch of unwashed latins wielding shitty shortswords
>>
>>47130000
Your quads are nice, but wouldn't the zombie's lack of any creativity or cunning increase the effectiveness of the phalanx?
>>
>>47129781
Nor do they carry pikes.

>>47129927
>thinks the cohort legion fights in phalanx formation
Really anon?
>>
>>47129927
No, it's not a phalanx because because the Romans stopped using a hoplite-style phalanx after the Marian Reform (107BC). And the equipment in the photo clearly places them atleast a century (c.7BC+) after that due to the presence of Lorica Segmentata.

And even if they were pre-Marian Romans, the hoplite-phalanx was used by the Triari who suprisingly look a lot like Greek Hoplites in term of equipment. Which these guys don't, The Romans never adopted the Macedonian style pike phalanx at all.

So no, these guys are never going to be a phalanx even when they stop marching.
>>
>>47130010
The zombies are in general going to be a problem decidedly different from the one the phalanx tried to be an answer too.
>>
Why would anybody take a gun in the first place. Just hijack the nearest car and run them over. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>47130028
>Romans stopped using a hoplite-style phalanx after the Marian Reform (107BC)

Jesus Christ, no. The Romans stopped using the phalanx over two centuries before that fighting the Samnites. The rough, hilly terrain meant the phalanx wouldn't hold formation and as a result not be as effective at best, or vulnerable at worst. That's why they adopted the Maniple system.

The Marian reforms were about creating a professional standing army, transitioning away from the previous incarnation where each soldier was to pay for his own equipment.

Read a fucking history book once in a while. Or at least wikipedia.
>>
>>47130092
Cars run out of fuel. And if vidya gaems have taught me anything, they explode after so many hits.
>>
>>47125710
As said by someone who has never handled s revolver
>>
>>47125549
>a weapon that doesn't deal anything but light damage and the hardest gun to use properly.
A flintlock musket and chain mail is 1200% better. Flintlocks are incredibly reliable, and we use chai mail to prevent *shark* bites.
>>
>>47126095
Underrated
>>
>>47130092
Cars don't run well after constantly hitting 70kg+ piles of meat, while bullets are actually designed for that.
>>
>>47126080
>all that matters is that it's more powerful than .22lr
I'd rather spray burst of .22LR than have a semi-automatic 9mm.
>>
>>47126454
Fucking Christ, I go off /k/ for one thread and this is what I get

First of all, it's $200 for a SBR tax stamp. You also have to make your gun 922r compliant. WHICH IS ALL IRRELEVANT.

They introduced a new model in "rifle" form so you can use it for it's intended purpose without having to SBR it and swap for American made parts to achieve 922r compliance.
>>
>>47125162
You know what is the best weapon against zombies?

Smarts. Smarts and a sturdy baseball bat
>>
>>47129790
This anon's a faget.
>>
Sit in the bed of a truck with a friend behind the wheel and take potshots at them with a .22. No ammo problems, plenty deadly with a headshot, and your friend can drive you away if they catch on.

If you don't have a friend, let's be honest you're probably already dead. Every faggot on the internet thinks he's gonna be a lone wolf survivalist until he falls out of a tree or trips over some rebar and dies of something retarded.
>>
A metal coat stand is the ultimate improvised Anti-zombie weapon

>Not too heavy
>Has reach
>Can hook shuffling zombie legs and trip them up
>Can prop against a door
>Easily customizeable, can hang burning cloth on the end
>If it breaks it loses very little utility
>Can hang shit from it so your things don't have to lay on the floor
>>
>>47130269
This. Armor is the best zombie weapon.
>>
ITT: Absolute fuckwits.

>using melee weapons on things that are most dangerous in melee
>using melee weapons on things with infections bodily fluids
>carrying spears and fucking halberds and shit around while you're trying to survive

This is a joke right, people can't actually be this retarded can they?
>>
>>47130269
>Flintlocks are incredibly reliable
Yeah, so long as it isn't a slightly humid day.
>>
>>47130401
The entire zombie genre is fuelled by "tough guy" stupidity so it's appropriate for the subject matter.
>>
>>47130401
Reminds me of the guy who said Garands were the best you could do in a zombie apocalypse.

I literally don't know how people can reach these conclusions.
>>
>>47130228
I thought that even under the Polybian system the triarii retained spears while the others arms switched to short swords and javelins and it was not until Marius that the triarii/principes/hastati distinction were entirely replaced with the one-size-fits-all legionary. Or am I mixing up mere spear use with the "proper" phalanx tactics of the early trairii?
>>
>>47130477

nah, it is fueled by urbanization and the fact everyone hate living with a lot of strangers.

so lel zombies substitute the crowd of strangers people dislike and zombie scenario is mostly about how to live on your own or with close ones while screwing others/zombies.
>>
>>47130544
>Or am I mixing up mere spear use with the "proper" phalanx tactics of the early trairii?

That seems to be the case. While individual troops were divided into hastati, principes, and triarii, they were still called legionnaires. It was, after all referred to as the Manipular Legion, to distinguish it from the post-Marian professional legion.

The difference in infantry doctrines is apparent as early as the Pyrrhic War.
>>
>>47125162
They aren't. Shotgun shells are fucking gigantic and shotguns themselves are usually overbuilt as fuck. If I had to pick one, it'd be a Ruger .45 carbine. You don't need a rifle cartridge to penetrate a human skull, but you do benefit from carrying a metric fuckton of ammunition.
>>
>>47125181
Sauce?
>>
>>47130334
>batanon gets BTFO
>hurr he's a faget

The asshurt is almost palpable.
>>
>>47130401
Zombie threads on /tg/ are 80% nogunz liberals,19% Europeans, and 1% /pol/ trolls who also browse /k/.
>>
>>47130974
Thanks for clearing that up, look like I need to start another campaign on Europa Barbarorum to brush up on my Roman Republic history.
>>
>>47129675
I WANT IT.
BUT MY SHOTGUNS ARE BREECH-LOADERS.
STILL WANT IT.
NOT WANTING IT LESS.
WANTING TO BUY A SEMI-AUTO SHOTGUN. JUST FOR 16 ROUNDS OF STOPPING POWER.
>>
File: rustoleum.png (46 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
rustoleum.png
46 KB, 240x240
>>47130379
Metal Coat?
>>
File: dim w.png (557 KB, 1100x900) Image search: [Google]
dim w.png
557 KB, 1100x900
>>47130997
Dimension W
>>
File: 1404858816216.jpg (108 KB, 562x501) Image search: [Google]
1404858816216.jpg
108 KB, 562x501
Because the government doesn't like people buying M2 machine guns to mount on their trucks or bulldozers.
>>
File: zombies-vs-ninjas.jpg (1 MB, 1728x1296) Image search: [Google]
zombies-vs-ninjas.jpg
1 MB, 1728x1296
>>47129935
>I went inside and stayed there for 6 months
that was the plan in High School of the Dead
the problem was getting to a place with food and water

it should be noted that some zombies don't decompose (no organism (animals/insects/bacteria) scavenges them) quickly
>>
>>47130401
melee and other quiet weapons would be reallly useful when zombies flock to loud noises. unless your goal was to clear out an area you usually want to deal with as few as possible and even then it would be nice to have a melee weapon just in case
>>
>>47126095
What would the cutt-off point be when zombie apocalypses would cease to be apocalyptic? Mid-19th Century?
>>
>>47125639
lions arent slow and rotting away in close combat tho

also zombies dont have claws
>>
>>47127760
>Everything costs the same in a post apocalyptic wasteland.
If you're acquiring your weapon AFTER the apocalypse starts, you're gonna take whatever you can find, anon.
Being choosy is for when you're preparing in advance.
>>
>>47129983
yeah its gonna be super easy to find 50 ammo in the end of the world scenario

its also super portable :) ayyy lmao
>>
>>47129829
>Vector .45
Meme gun. The "recoil reduction" mechanism actually makes the weapon LESS accurate in full auto, and just makes the recoil WEIRD in semi-auto. That piston that's moving downward has to come back UP, and that results in a weird "double kick". You et recoil from the round, THEN the thin jerks again when the piston slams back up.
>>
>>47130251
Fudd detected.

Revolvers aren't lightsabers. They are completely outdated technology with no redeeming qualities.
>>
>>47131838
Honestly, in spite of what meme war z asserts, a zombie apocalypse would get completely btfo by a military response.
>>
>>47131896
yeah i know, but the gun was a stupid suggestion unless you were running a town or city and had an army of jeeps
>>
>>47131872
They're only considered outdated because we have a much higher need for semi-automatic pistols and high capacity magazines. A revolver is the most simplistic gun you're going to get nowadays outside of a deringer. It's the perfect gun for people who don't know anything about guns, it's unfuckupable.
>>
File: hands_up_gun.jpg (319 KB, 1706x1357) Image search: [Google]
hands_up_gun.jpg
319 KB, 1706x1357
>>47131872
>They are completely outdated technology
that's like saying the hammer is outdated because now we have nail guns. they're both tools that function for their intended use
>with no redeeming qualities
no magazine feed issues or if you seated it correctly after a reload
can use larger calibers; ideal for bear country
etc.
>>
>>47132134
>it's unfuckupable.
Do I need to dig up that image of the guy who managed to stack eight bullets stuck in the barrel.
>>
>>47130401
Nah dude, you can totally cut through limbs with a halberd. I saw a documentary once where people who trained every day of their lives could do it, so a pasty white nerd such as myself could do it too! Fucking gunfags lmao, bones are really easy to break.
>>
The spread. It makes it much easier to hit and to kill. Life isn't a movie. If you had a pistol you wouldn't hit every time and before you know it you have an empty gun.. Which is just as good as an empty stapler.
>>
>>47127996
They get worn out over time though.
>>
File: image.png (29 KB, 1000x906) Image search: [Google]
image.png
29 KB, 1000x906
>>47132134
>A revolver is the most simplistic gun you're going to get nowadays outside of a deringer.

If you want a simplistic gun, my money's on an open bolt, full-auto only blowback SMG.
>>
>>47132215
Not unless that image is of a revolver no, it'd be completely irrelevant. Loading a revolver is literally round peg in circular hole tier.
>>
>>47132134
>A revolver is the most simplistic gun you're going to get nowadays outside of a deringer
Only if it's a "pure" single action like an SAA repro.
Double actions, be they revolvers or semis, add a BUNCH of extra parts.
A single-action only semi-auto with a straight blowback action, like a walther ppk or a makarov, is actually simpler than a modern da/sa wheelun.
>>
>>47129983
The 50 cal isn't as accessible as regular weapons. If you had to play it simple and efficient a shotgun is a good choice. I'd say people often include weapons like that because they're easier for people to get a hold of and people are likely to have them.
>>
>>47127996
They will break and sharp weapons become dull and blunt weapons break after enough time.
>>
>>47132272
goddamn springs
year of our lord 2016 and firearms still need like 20 of the bastards to function
fuck you detent spring!
>>
>>47132288
That and maintaining a shotgun is really easy. I think a lot of people wouldn't practice proper maintenance with military grade weaponry and be SOL as they start jamming and stop working.
>>
File: sword axe knives gun.jpg (114 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
sword axe knives gun.jpg
114 KB, 750x563
>>47132288
if you need a firearm get a .22 pistol and rifle
ammo is everywhere; #1 most popular round
can head shot zombies with it and hunt game

>>47132300
>blunt weapons break after enough time
i doubt even your basic Homedepot crowbar or tire iron will break even after a lifetime of head smashing
>>
>>47132274
It was. Nigger just kept shooting after a squib until he finally noticed that the barrel was getting heavy.
>>
>>47125162
>zombie
You mean spanish Mexicans.
>>
>>47132377
.22 ammo is light and .22s are usually easy to maintain, but a shotgun will hit what your aiming at much easier. My point is that shotguns are more accessible and easier for someone to use with minimal gun experience. The .22 will become and empty stapler when you run out of ammo and hit fewer of your targets. The shotgun becomes a blunt weapon.

Also, tire irons and crowbars are efficient and awesome, but they will bend and warp after repeated use. That and you're putting yourself in danger by getting close to zombies. I'd figure something that could give you reach over the zombies would be an effective weapon.
>>
>>47132495
>Also, tire irons and crowbars are efficient and awesome, but they will bend and warp after repeated use

When the "use" is hitting someone in the head... You've never held a crowbar.
>>
>>47129790
>single swing
>sever at least one leg

Limbs don't fly off the moment a sharp object strikes them.
>>
>>47126008
Just long enough for me to find the head zombie and put a stop to this, then
>>
>>47130010
Which in a modern city can easily be discounted by multiple directions of attack.

A phalanx can only work in one direction. And even worse, any disruption can bring it apart.

If you're attacked from a side alley or from a house that wasn't cleared, you're fucked.

Unless you're rolling pike and shot, with flank protection, you're going to have a lot of vulnerabilities.
>>
>>47132678

This makes me wonder if Max Brooks put any real thought into his "firing lines stopped the apocalypse" bit.
>>
>>47131664
Never, really.

Zombies can't heal and have no sense of self-preservation. They kill themselves off. They can't regulate their body temperatures, so when winter hits they get freezer burn and become useless, or when summer hits they will literally explode.

And their method of reproduction is also their primary food source AND their greatest threat. Human beings are, like, seriously great at killing things. That's like if whenever you wanted a sandwich you had to go out and kill a lion with your bare hands AND have a baby.
>>
>>47131320
do people get torn to shreds? I'd like that....
>>
>>47132704
The firing lines were used out in the open against the megahordes, not in cities.
>>
File: UAV_control_station.jpg (160 KB, 752x499) Image search: [Google]
UAV_control_station.jpg
160 KB, 752x499
>>47132495
>My point is that shotguns are more accessible
except, as stated, there are more .22lr weapons systems in circulation
>easier for someone to use with minimal gun experience
a no guns is going to be more afraid of a shotgun than a.22
lets take a look at them
first you have your side-by-side and over-unders
so it'll only hold two rounds. someone with no training is going to take a while to reload and misses become more critical
next up is pump action and going right back to the issue of storage (10 rounds is usually the max) and them being able to cycle rounds
last you have semi or full automatic
assume it has a box magazine and ammo capacity isn't really an issue any longer and it takes the complication of working the action away
its biggest fault it that it has extra/faster recoil
really, recoil and kick is the main problem with shotguns
you can shoot .22 all day every day and not worry about sore hands or shoulders
the .22 is going to be quieter to begin with and can be silenced as well

the last thing you mention is using the shotgun as an improvised melee weapon
how do you think that works? poking aside, you can't bash someone with the barrel of a long arm nor do you want to hold it by the barrel and swing it like a bat
you want to bludgeon them with the butt of the stock
that takes out wire stock and pistol grip only shotguns from the running
really, you'd be better off dropping your gun and picking up a rock if you're going into melee with a zombie
>>
>>47132775
The only place zombies can really thrive is a Africa.

You have a lot of rural areas, poorly educated populations, and almost no infrastructure across most countries.

You could possibly infect the entire continent. But actually breaking out of that into out her continents most likely wouldn't happen. It would be a huge assumption of ignorance on the part of the CDC and the military.
>>
The right melee weapon is hard to come up with

Can't be too long or short

Not too heavy not too light

And needs to be able to take a beating
>>
>>47132610
But these are walking corpses. I think we can reasonably assume some decay of muscle and skin, making it easier to cut through.
>>
>>47132896
Camping axe.
>>
File: Double-Sided spear.jpg (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Double-Sided spear.jpg
12 KB, 500x500
out of the way zombie fucks, best melee weapon coming through

>>47132875
>almost no infrastructure across most countries
that's a good thing in this situation though
>>
>>47132922
No it really isn't.

To deal with a fast acting, highly contagious virus you need solid infrastructure and communication.

If not you quickly run the risk of it snow balling out of control before you can even hope to contain it.

That really isn't enough to balance the benefit of shitty roads. Plus the benefits of having a good road system is being able to funnel and lead the threat. When you don't have that it easily spreads in every direction.
>>
File: cleaver.png (95 KB, 600x975) Image search: [Google]
cleaver.png
95 KB, 600x975
>>47132896
Telescopic halberd. Folded form works as an axe.
>>
>>47132918

I think it's too short
>>
>>47133047
Nah. Camping axe, arm guard, and shield equals decent protection in most cases. If you're ever in a situation where those won't save your life, you fucked up and you need to run.
>>
The best anti-zombie weapon is a crossbow, with a cheap muted pistol for backup and a crowbar for if you're 100% fucked and want to take a few of them with you. A crossbow has mediocre range, but if you get a high-quality mechanical one, can be easily cranked back to reload and can drive a bolt through a skull. It's a kill shot weapon, so you need good aim, and ammo may be hard to come by; however, you can make your own ammo out of fire-hardened sticks if you have no other option, and it's completely silent with no report to draw more zombies. The pistol is for if the zombie's too close for you to take aim with your crossbow - a sufficiently heavy pistol to the center of mass will make it stumble, giving you the time to get an actual shot to the head. It's also useful for providing the secondary shot to make certain the zombie's dead. Crowbars have a blunt end for caving in a skull, a sharp end for a stab through the eye, and can still be used as an actual crowbar. They aren't the best weapon by any means, but as a tool that can also take out the one that snuck up on you in an emergency, it's invaluable. Melee weapons are valuable in that they never run out of ammunition; if you need to defend an area, a sufficiently long polearm would work. A warhammer is especially good - crushing power to cave in a skull, and a pointy bit that can add that last bit of extra force. Assault rifles, carbines, and fucking chainsaws are basically a dinner bell with all the noise they make, shotguns have punch enough to knock a zombie over and make hamburger out of its chest but not enough to actually kill it, and bladed weapons will just get stuck in bone without actually killing anything - zombies don't go into shock.
>>
>>47132610
Its a halberd, it actually can cut off limbs like that.
>>
File: african shotgun making.jpg (184 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
african shotgun making.jpg
184 KB, 976x549
>>47132974
easy transportation for people is easy transportation for the virus
isolated populations are safer than connected ones
and if the isolated community gets infected it'll stay in that area because they won't have anyplace to go / reason to leave or if they do wonder off the distance to the next community is a hindrance to the zombie
as for infrastructure you have to keep power and water plants going for a city to survive and they don't grow their own food
for people that don't have that you don't have to worry about losing it
also, fire and the need to fight it is another issue that dense population centers need to contend with
>>
>>47133081
>knock over

Do you fly backwards when you fire a gun? Not even a .50 cal has enough kinetic energy to actually knock a man over.

And if a crossbow can kill a zombie then a shotgun will be vastly more effective at doing so.
>>
>>47132974
>To deal with a fast acting, highly contagious virus you need solid infrastructure
Not at all. The faster people can move, the faster the virus spreads. What you really want is the greatest possible disparity between communication and transport times, so you can coordinate faster than the situation can change.
>>
>>47129761
RUSH B CYKA BLYAT
>>
>>47132524
You have no clue what you're talking about. Crowbars are not unstoppable, invicable machines of destruction that you seem to think they are. People can and have, bent them with their bare hands.
>>
>>47133286
I think you're confusing crowbars with pry bars.
A crowbar is an inch thick piece of round or octagonal steel flattened to a chisel tip at either end. A pry bar is the flattened, quarter-inch thick type.
>>
>>47130363
>Every faggot on the internet thinks he's gonna be a lone wolf survivalist until he falls out of a tree or trips over some rebar and dies of something retarded.
truth
>>
>>47132153
fucking chicago, man
>>
File: bansar7.jpg (43 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
bansar7.jpg
43 KB, 800x531
I'll just go with a silent .22
>>
>>47125821
I bet you buy Apple products too, faggot.
>>
>>47133536
No, I'm well aware of what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXPC2bGedy0
>>
>>47125162
They aren't. They're low capacity for weight. You're much better off with a pistol carbine.
>>
>>47131810
They usually do have claws
>>
>>47133211
You mean like modern day?
>>
>>47130450
Only if by "slightly humid" you mean "hard rain"

Flintlocks have been used in the most humid areas of the world, and if there is a zombie apocalypse you should head north if you can't make an island.
>>
>>47133177
A shotgun is a hundred times as loud and takes much more specialized ammo. It does the job, but it's like importing a species of bug to deal with pest insects - you'll still have lots of bugs, and it's a lot more expensive than simply getting some pesticide.
>>
>>47134515
The point is he implied it was somehow not lethal enough.
>>
>>47125162
>Why are shotguns the best anti-zombie weapon?
Because zomvies likes to eat shit. Every day.
>>
>>47134515
>12ga buckshot
>Literally available at almost any store you go to
>They have several thousand, and six different flavors.
>Hunting bolts
>Generally require an archery shop, and they have maybe twenty.

bowfags please go.
>>
>>47135318
12ga buckshot runs out eventually - no matter how popular the gauge, with people using it regularly for the reasons you stated and shipping lines fucked by the living dead, it'll go quick. Crossbow bolts are reusable - pop a zombie from a distance, get back over there once any "friends" have left, crush its head with something heavy to make certain, and clean the bolt with fire. Ta-da. Alternately, just sharpen some stakes, harden them in fire, and bam, more bolts. Not perfect, but when you're in the undead apocalypse you take what you can get. Also, crossbow bolts are completely silent - even a silenced gun makes lots of noise.
>>
>>47131447
>"how's your mother" crotch grab, twist and pull (one fluid motion)
>"how's your mother"
What the actual fuck?
>>
>>47136960
>Also, crossbow bolts are completely silent
Absolutely not. Bows and crossbows are about as loud as a suppressed firearm, which is still loud enough to hear it from across a city block when there's no other sounds but the occasional zombie moan.
>>
>>47137890
Oh, you're one of those people who believes that silenced guns go "pop." Let me give you a hint, that's wrong and you should feel bad. Yes, bows do have a noise when the string snaps back and squelch when they hit, but that's the kind of noise that a zombie wouldn't prioritize as explicitly human. A gun, even silenced, is much louder and more difficult to disguise than a gun.

Also, who the hell is sitting in the streets? As soon as zombies start appearing, you run away as fast as you can and find somewhere easier to hide. It's best to find a large barn if you're in the American midwest; knock out any stairs, pull up your ladder, find or make a few windows or get on the roof, and station a friend in every direction. You'll be able to see them coming before they see you, and maybe hear them, depending on what kind of zombie they are. From there, you can try to shoot them while you consolidate your supplies and get ready to move somewhere else. Mountains are your best bet - zombies can't climb like primates can, so you can get on top of rocks to avoid them. If you go to a relatively well-preserved national park, you might even be able to hunt food. Bring cold-weather gear for winter - you might need to stay a while, depending on how competent the military is, how big the horde is, and how quickly everything gets tied up.
>>
>>47138331
>A gun, even silenced, is much louder and more difficult to disguise than a gun.

I may be too overloaded for 4chan. Finals are a bitch. I meant bow for that second part.
>>
>>47138331
>depending on how competent the military is
Unless they're literally retarded, they should be able to mop up a zombie apocalypse in a week. A month tops.

>Quarantine the city
>Barricades, barricades everywhere
>Shoot everything and everyone that gets out unpermitted
>Tell all citizens to remain indoors, not to open the doors and arm themselves if they can
>Use helicopter gunships to thin the biggest hordes with machinegun fire
>Then use tanks and armored vehicles to destroy larger groups
>Finally use helicopters, supported by paratroopers, to evacuate civillians and take on the last few remaining civillians
>After that either mop up the remainders with armored infantry or just bomb the entire city

They're slow, dead, unintelligent and the only way they can spread their disease is through physical contact. Fucking ebola would not have a fast enough infection rate to survive if it weren't for shit-tier hygiene standards in Africa. Now imagine that someone who has ebola is a rotting corpse, and even in the shittiest parts of Africa infection rates would be incredibly low.
>>
>>47138331
You underestimate how loud a crossbow is. Modern hunting crossbows sit somewhere around 80dB.
>>
>>47138457
>80dB
Isn't that the limit for permanent hearing damage? Wouldn't that mean that historical crossbowmen, with weapons most likely even louder due to inferior technology, were all deaf on one ear?

Or was that 120 dB? I know 80dB is the limit for... something.
>>
>>47138331
No, I'm one of those people who have directly heard a "silenced" gun and a crossbow and neither of them are particularly silent or good if you don't want to draw attention.
A shitty screw on silencer would result in a louder sound than a crossbow, but a halfway decent one wouldn't be significantly louder than a crossbow, because crossbows are fucking loud. Zombies don't prioritize anything. They hear noise, they head towards noise. And a crossbow is loud enough for them to hear. Maybe you'd know that if you weren't noguns or didn't live in a place where they ban silencers and/or crossbows.
>>
What about throwing knives? Those are silent. And if you throw grenades, the noise will be where it lands, not where you threw it from.
>>
>>47138443
>using machine guns against zombies
Are you literally retarded? You can pulverize every part of a zombie below the waist, and it'll STILL be dangerous. Possibly more so, as it can still drag itself and will be below your line of sight to bite your ankle. Oh, and blood splatters will infect you if they get in your eye, your nose, your mouth... For a zombie horde, the one thing you do NOT want to do is try overwhelming them with bullets. That works on people; undead monsters that cannot feel pain and will continue attacking as long as they're physically able to? Not so much. Worse, most soldiers are told to aim for the center of mass - it's still deadly to be hit there (hello, vital organ damage!) but zombies don't give two shits about it. You'd need people specifically trained to aim for the head, well-armored enough to take a bite, and capable of keeping a level head when a rotting horror is shambling towards them, giving out a hellish moan.

Worse, you assume that people will behave logically. Most people in one- or two-story homes are as good as dead - maybe the family dog doesn't stop barking, maybe a kid panics and starts screaming - since undead can and will (accidentally) push each other up stairs. /v/ kiddies will run into the streets with guns, and if we're lucky they'll be eaten before they shoot a non-zombie. People will panic, and a panicked mob is almost as dangerous as a zombie mob - maybe even more dangerous, as soldiers won't want to hurt panicky civilians and won't be able to keep them under control.
>>
>>47132796
I only watched the first few episodes, but it's basically Darker than Black with some cyberpunk parts
>>
>>47138592
>betting your life on your ability to accurately throw a knife into a target the size of a human eye and have it land point first - not even edge, point only
>wanting to spray infectious zombie gore everywhere, contaminating yourself and everyone around you, and attracting zombies to a spot fairly near you because you can only throw a grenade so far
You try that, pal, I'll be way over here. Come tell me if it works.
>>
>>47138485
90dB is about where you could have permanent damage if you hear it for too long. 120-130 is where it starts to get really painful, and 140 is where even short exposure can permanently damage your ears.
>>
>>47138617
>You can pulverize every part of a zombie below the waist, and it'll STILL be dangerous
If you shoot off its arms and legs, it's at least incapacitated. On top of that, the helicopter gunshps are mostly for thinning the hords. Incapacitating them, and killing one or two of them, is more than enough. They aren't supposed to kill every single one of them, that's what the tanks and armored infantry are for.
>Oh, and blood splatters will infect you if they get in your eye, your nose, your mouth
When firing from a helicopter? What kind of insane bloodspatter is this? Do these zombies have 20 liters of blood stored at extremely high pressure?
>Worse, most soldiers are told to aim for the center of mass - it's still deadly to be hit there (hello, vital organ damage!) but zombies don't give two shits about it. You'd need people specifically trained to aim for the head, well-armored enough to take a bite, and capable of keeping a level head when a rotting horror is shambling towards them, giving out a hellish moan.
Your only real point, but not a hurdle that's impossible to overcome.

>Worse, you assume that people will behave logically.
Some people will be unfortunate, others will be retarded, but this is the best way to minimize casualties. What else do you recommend people to do? Unless there is already a military presence in the city with already operational shelters, advising them to find a safe place and stay there for as long as possible is their best bet.
>People will panic, and a panicked mob is almost as dangerous as a zombie mob - maybe even more dangerous, as soldiers won't want to hurt panicky civilians and won't be able to keep them under control.
Another good point, which is why it's of fundamental importance to quarantine the city. Should shit really hit the fan beyond the point of all recovery, bombing of the entire city might be the only option. Sure, it's not good to bomb innocent civillians, but it's the only way to limit the outbreak.
>>
>>47138676
Darts maybe?
>>
>>47131846
Meme or not, had a chance to fire both Vector and P90. First of all, BOTH are awkward as fuck to operate. Second - Vector made it possible to literally just pull the trigger and put 10 rounds with virtually no spread at 100 meters range. P90 spread 10 rounds over entire head of the target. Still very precise, don't take it wrong, but definitely bigger spread.

Now I'm not a perfect marksman and I'm not even good at this, but for me when weapon A allows to be twice as precise with semi-decent shooting skills, it simply wins.
And in this case Vector wins also because of round used for it - it's simply more popular, meaning its easier to get. Since we are discussing post-apo scenario, that means scarce resources. More popular round wins.
>>
File: KZZTvxk.gif (4 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
KZZTvxk.gif
4 MB, 400x225
>>47133081
>crossbow
>completely silent

Uhhhh yeah buddy...
>>
>>47133081
You should definitely lower your daily intake of Zombie Survival Guide and Walking Dead bullshit
>>
>>47133160
I'm always so impressed by hand-made gun making. The fact that it ever functions at all is amazing.
>>
File: im gonna tell him.jpg (107 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
im gonna tell him.jpg
107 KB, 736x736
>>47138617
>People will panic, and a panicked mob is almost as dangerous as a zombie mob
>>
File: 1153790681157.jpg (59 KB, 468x397) Image search: [Google]
1153790681157.jpg
59 KB, 468x397
>>47133081
>and it's completely silent

https://youtu.be/WEOeZTV9wiA?t=12s
>>
>>47126080
Don't underestimate the damage caused by a .22.
>>
>>47139218
No, really. They aren't as dangerous outright, but people will be a lot more likely to join the mob in a snowball effect, and even trained soldiers will be less likely to fire on them.
>>
>>47139916
Zombies are literally the mob. The zombie outbreak isn't the habbening. The habbening is nuclear war, which causes people to become the mob which is zombies. They lose their minds and if they infect you, you turn mindless too.

Some recent zombie writers have forgotten this, but this is well reflected in most zombie fiction.

Also vampires are antisocial personity disorder people, particularly when they are in a position empowered by society, eg president, king
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.