[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QUESTION!!! If an interstellar colony ship crashed landed on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1429982459376.jpg (312 KB, 565x800) Image search: [Google]
1429982459376.jpg
312 KB, 565x800
QUESTION!!!

If an interstellar colony ship crashed landed on a planet, what would the minimum viable population need to be in order to have a population number close to 16th century Europe in two thousand years time?
>>
>>47099363
You need to start with roughtly 10k of unrelated people to avoid bottleneck effect.
You need to start with roughtly 5k of unrelated people to have viable genetic pool.
You need to have at least 2k of people and careful management for few generations (or even forever) to keep things without inbreeding.

It doesn't matter what population you are aiming at, having less than 2k means you will end up fucked up big time in roughtly 5-6 generations.
>>
>>47099363
>Not using auxiliary hero to check the hut beforehead
>Not simply save-scumming
>>
>>47099363
Be glad it's not navigation on a land map. It's an equivalent of an english lit degree.
>>
>>47099501
This guy is probably right. Our genetics professor said 2-10k is a rough estimate for this situation.
>>
>>47099501
>>47099748
What would a reasonable growth rate be?
>>
File: tumblr_ng8hfvA2s31sr6sdjo1_1280.png (193 KB, 634x623) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ng8hfvA2s31sr6sdjo1_1280.png
193 KB, 634x623
Bump
>>
>>47099363
I believe the general rules of thumb is 200 people in a village and 2000 people in a society, at minimum. Beyond that and you get ridiculous amounts of crossbreeding, although that might not be their biggest concern.

>>47099501 might have the right idea, although I've not looked into it in either case.

>>47099956
>What would a reasonable growth rate be?
Depends on the conditions. 4 children per family wouldn't be unreasonable if the food is widespread enough. That's roughly a doubling every generation, 32x every 100 years, and far more then you would ever need (about one nonillion times the starting number, or one million trillion trillion times your starting population) after 2000 years.

Obviously, food and space are going to be limiters before that number is reached. Hopefully.
>>
How the fuck did they rebuild Zion SIX times with 16 females and 7 males without turning the colonists into gene trash?
>>
>>47103829
Machines probably mindwiped different people everytime or something.
>>
>>47103829
Because the people in Zion keep releasing people from the Matrix and adding to the gene pool that way.
>>
>>47103966
But what, that means they need centuries to get anywhere near some reasonably big numbers, both in manpower and productivity. I mean, after they are released they would need years just to get some stuff operational out of all the rubble, not to mention time required to relearn all that was lost...Which actually just makes the premise even cooler if the actual year is nowhere near 2199 but more like 21990.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.