[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: potions.jpg (52 KB, 736x439) Image search: [Google]
potions.jpg
52 KB, 736x439
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Potion Edition:

What are you brewing? What are you chugging? What do the various potions taste like, look like in your game?
>>
>>47090628

Is that third one a potion INSIDE a potion?
>>
>>47090819

>Not doing jager bombs with potions

Do you even quaff, bro?
>>
I'm in a 5e campaign with 4 other friends currently playing a lvl 4 knowledge domain cleric. The DM messaged me asking if there were any particular type of magic item I would be interested in finding the other day. I didn't really know what to suggest so I just said any item that allows me to use my reaction for something [all I do in combat right now is heal/run for the most part]

any thoughts?
>>
>>47090940

you have a lot more potential than just healing and running. that's my first word of advice. Clerics aren't heal bots.
>>
File: AsUZeWZ.jpg (4 KB, 186x139) Image search: [Google]
AsUZeWZ.jpg
4 KB, 186x139
So I want to play a demonic warlovk, but the fiend spell list seems to favor devil fluff over demons what with all the fire and commanding. Should I just go GOOlock instead?
>>
Just got done with a session with a newer DM, and they ruled that attacks under a ranged weapon's range (ex: light crossbow is 80/320) has disadvantage. For example, if you were 30 ft away from an enemy and you shot at it with a crossbow it'd have disadvantage.

That's just plain wrong right? Am I taking crazy pills? I tried arguing that disadvantage only happens when the range is either within melee range or between 80-320 ft, but they said they were making a ruling and I had to accept it. Just made me frustrated because it was the freaking death house and there's no hallway or room that even makes it past 50 ft in a damn straight line.
>>
DM told me tonight that you don't get opportunity attacks when someone runs away because of Dissonant Whispers. Is he right?
>>
>>47091004
You don't have to choose the spells from the expanded spell list. Though I'm curious as to why you think those spells aren't also thematic for demons.

What spells would be thematic?
>>
>>47091113
That's the whole point of Dissonant Whispers, or at least the main reason you'd blow a spell slot on it.
>>
>>47091067
>"Some ranged attacks, such as those made with a longbow or a shortbow, have two ranges. The smaller number is the normal range, and the larger number is the long range. Your attack roll has disadvantage when your target is beyond normal range, and you can’t attack a target beyond the long range."

You are correct, anon. His ruling doesn't seem to make sense... when wouldn't you have disadvantage? Between the normal and long range?
>>
>>47091133
>"You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction."

Dissonant Whispers makes them use their reaction to move away, so yes, you do get an opportunity attack.
>>
>>47091178
Meant to respond to >>47091113
>>
>>47091145
Yeah, he was saying they had to be between 80 and 320 ft for it to be normal and I asked him when that would ever happen. He shrugged and said "outside?"

I guess I'll talk with him later outside of the game but it was such a weird ruling to me. Like how would that make sense to not be able to hit a target when you're closer (though not so close to be in melee range). They also ruled that if you shot behind another PC and missed then you have to hit the PC in the way.
>>
>>47091067

Actually that makes perfect sense because it is harder to hit something up close rather than far away. See the 21 feet rule. So actually, your DM was objectively correct and was calling out the unrealistic rules of D&D.
>>
>>47091198

> Yeah, he was saying they had to be between 80 and 320 ft for it to be normal and I asked him when that would ever happen. He shrugged and said "outside?"

Haha you got rekt there man.

Your DM is right though. At closer ranges, lateral movement counts more, so it can actually be more difficult to hit a target. Especially in melee range. Also crossbow bolts don't reach their intended velocity until around 80 feet (please look up the physics concept of impulse if you're going to disagree with me, I am not going to explain this to the uneducated) so I also think he'd be fair in adding a -4 damage penalty to crossbows against targets closer than 80 feet.
>>
When are they going to add more classes?
>>
File: wat cat 2.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
wat cat 2.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>47091229
>>47091211
>applying "realism" to martial classes while casters disintegrate shit and conjure shit out of thin air
>fair
>>
>>47091130
The seem to use more lightning and poison
>>
>>47091236
Only new class they're for-sure adding is the Mystic to cover psionics. There's been two playtests for it so far through Unearthed Arcana. There's no proper measure of when the official release will be.
>>
>>47091279
Is it going to be basically an INT sorcerer or how will it differ?
>>
>>47091256

Yep.

Because casters have an excuse for breaking reality (magic).

Martials, on the other hand, do not, and thus must obey the laws of reality.

If you can't handle that truth I suggest you play a weeaboo game like FantasyCraft, D&D isn't for you.
>>
>>47091279

So no scout? No duskblade? No spellthief?

I know 3.5 had way too many classes but I'd love to see some of them brought back. And I'd love to see spellthief viable.

Sure I could homebrew but that won't be official, I want more official content.
>>
>>47091300
I mean D&D breaks those laws of reality in damage calculation for the damn things, so maybe D&D isn't for you?
>>
>>47091339

How does D&D damage break the laws of reality?
>>
>>47091256
This is why I don't get the hatred for weeaboo fightan magic.

DND is not a realistic or simulationist game. Heck, it's already pretty weeaboo fightan tier with it's 1.33 attacks per second with buster blades. So what's wrong with martials having magic type options to put them on the same level as casters utility wise?
>>
>>47091355
hitpoints are by default reality breaking, since they're an abstraction of health morphed into plot armor.
>>
>>47091211

Holy shit, please don't talk until you've actually tried to shoot something.

Wait, scratch that. Please never go within 10 feet of anything more deadly than a small piece of string.
>>
>>47091329
They're more likely to show up as subclasses, which are easier to design (and usually end up better than depending on full class progressions or shit like prestige classes).

Duskblade and hexblade probably aren't going to show up because there simply isn't the touch spell support for them. Just play a fluffed Eldritch Knight.

Scout has shown in the "Kits of Old" UA as a fighter subtype and is basically a nonmagical ranger replacement.

Spellthief is... well, covered by the arcane trickster rogue's subclass cap.
>>
>>47091298

>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/psionics-and-mystic-%E2%80%93-take-two

Google, Google, is your friend
>>
>>47091363

> 1.33 attacks per second

How fat and out of shape are you that you can't swing a sword more than once per second?

> So what's wrong with martials having magic type options to put them on the same level as casters utility wise?

Because martials do not use magic. They can carry magic weapons but by definition they do not use magic. Even rangers and pallys are pretty shitty because of the magic they use.
>>
>>47091355
You just said the damage calculations for the ranged weapons were not fitting with reality when you disagreed who postulated that the ranged damage calculations were fine as written. Are you drinking drain cleaner you goof?
>>
>>47091383

I've shot loads of animals, it's harder to shoot a squirrel from 21 feet than a deer from 100. So actually I am correct, and crossbows should have a penalty to hit at close ranges.
>>
File: 1457965681741.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
1457965681741.png
1 MB, 852x854
>>47091407
>How fat and out of shape are you that you can't swing a sword more than once per second?
>>
>>47091419
What about a deer from 21 feet and a deer from 100 feet with a crossbow
>>
>>47091407

>Even rangers and pallys are pretty shitty because of the magic they use.

D&D may not be the game for you, mang. Check out Riddle of Steel, maybe?
>>
>>47091381

No, hit points are an abstraction of skill. Try beating a master fencer in combat and you'll see what I mean. Hit points are necessary to preserve the bounded accuracy you guys all go on about.

Admittedly GURPS is better. But hit points work and keep combat flowing more smoothly. It also gives D&D appeal to pleb casual gamers who wouldn't be able to understand a system like GURPS. So D&D appeals to a larger part of the IQ bell curve (the lower part) which makes it a more popular game.
>>
>>47091419

>It's easier to hit a large target that is unaware of you than it is to hit a small target that is aware of you

Stop the fucking presses, we need an errata for this rule set.
>>
>>47091427

The deer at 21 feet would be harder to hit because relative to your perspective it would be moving faster.
>>
File: 6077401.jpg (20 KB, 293x385) Image search: [Google]
6077401.jpg
20 KB, 293x385
>>47091444

>So D&D appeals to a larger part of the IQ bell curve (the lower part) which makes it a more popular game.
>>
>>47091446

No, the chipmunk was not aware of me but the deer was, however it was harder to hit because of lateral motion, which is amplified by closer proximity.
>>
>>47091444
>No, hit points are an abstraction of skill. Try beating a master fencer in combat and you'll see what I mean. Hit points are necessary to preserve the bounded accuracy you guys all go on about.

this lacks meaning. Elaborate. Nobody is going to go and try to beat a master fencer in combat to better understand your posts anon.
>>
File: 1458941946224.gif (886 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1458941946224.gif
886 KB, 250x250
>DM wants us to get character ideas ready for his campaign during the summer.
>Everyone tells him their classes at the same time.
>4 fighters and a wizard.
>Me and another fighter are playing religious knights of differing faiths.
>We both don't like wizards.
I think I'm liking where this is going.
>>
>>47091452
Yeah but at 100 feet wouldn't you have to take into account wind resistance, the time it takes for the bolt to land and the fact that you need to precisely time the shot? Seems a lot easier to shoot it from 21 feet.
>>
>>47091355
You can survive having the moon dropped on you.

Let me check the DMG for how much damage it actually is, but a Fighter or Barb could easily survive it without "magic".
>>
>>47091466

Neat story. When your players want to use the D&D rules to simulate shooting chipmunks in the woods with rifles, you should probably house-rule that.
>>
>>47091460

Well I usually play GURPS but there is a simplicity to D&D 5e that made it attractive to me. I'm not saying D&D is a stupid game, merely that it appeals to a lower class of gamer because of its popularity and because of its simpler, more straightforward strategies.

>>47091467

Because a real life fencer would have an AC of 40 or so. It is simply impossible to land a blow on him. But in D&D that would be too frustrating so you are allowed to wear down his "hit points" to represent his luck.

It's perfectly legitimate and is even fairly realistic. Sure the dragons aren't but that's another issue. Also there is no reason why a game can't be realistic in some aspects and unrealistic in others. Crossbow inaccuracy is very important because otherwise crossbows are overpowered otherwise.
>>
>>47091492

> wind resistance
> at 100 feet

Please come back when you learn something about shooting.

>>47091504

Yeah please do. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the rules for D&D having a moon dropped on you are retarded given that in 3.5 you only took 1d6 from having a 200 pound anvil dropped on your head from 20 feet, so they probably ripped the rules straight from that.

Eitherway, I would not use those rules. A moon dropped on you? Instant death. I'm sick of this "characters can become gods" bullshit, it's completely unrealistic and rarely happened in anything except Greek myths which are old and boring anyway. D&D should be about more enjoyable and realistic adventures that people actually identify with.
>>
>>47091504
Yeah, the DMG suggests 24d10 for being "crushed in the jaws of a moon-sized monster".

24d10 averages out to 132 damage; a level 10 barbarian could easily take that.
>>
>>47091530

>a lower class of gamer

Normie plebs ruin everything. Truly enlightened gentlesirs have the intellect to comprehend the complexities of medieval armed combat.
>>
What do I do when players question every other thing enemies do? Nearly had someone blow up at me when an orc charged 60 feet to attack his ranger. Spill the beans and tell them how and why it happened right then, hold off on explaining until later, or tell them to suck it up?
>>
>>47091562

Well then the DMG is fucking retarded. Being crushed in the jaws of a moonsize monster would deal millions of points of damage. That'd be enough to crush a small asteroid. If I remember my calculations, the earth has about 1e21 hp in the 3.5 rules. Not this 80,000 bullshit from that 3rd party book with the neutronium golem. So an asteroid would have AT LEAST a million hit points. Thus the DMG is wrong and the developers just wanted to come up with "le ebin cosmic damage" thinking no one would cal them on their bullshit.

They should have known better.
>>
>>47091562
>a level 10 barbarian could easily take that.

A barbarian that got lucky rolls would barely survive it, you mean.
>>
>>47091407
>Because martials do not use magic.

This might be the wrong edition for you, or maybe the wrong game. Have you actually read the players handbook? Every single class can cast spells (thats right, even barbarian. Reread it, I'll wait.) Its always one of their archetypes.
>>
File: laser_pointer_more_power.png (8 KB, 161x187) Image search: [Google]
laser_pointer_more_power.png
8 KB, 161x187
>>47091489
>>
>>47091300
>martials must obey the laws of reality
But they can't jump more than 20 feet. Gotcha.
>>
>>47091573
I don't think it's much metagaming to let the players know the Orc used his bonus action to dash and charge. They just have to understand that creatures don't play by the same rules than PCs.

Otherwise combat would get bogged down while a DM has to choose among a plethora of options for each monster. And the PCs would be seriously fucked, there's nothing more dangerous than a character with class levels.
>>
>>47091489
My best 5E game so far was three Fighters, a Barb, and a Ranger whose only spells were Hunter's Mark and Silence.

Good fucking times.
>>
>>47091594
>1d12+4
>average of 11 hp / level
>110 HP at level 10
>being angry and a furry lets you tank the moon, so you only take half damage
>110 - 132 / 2 = 44 health remaining
>>
>>47091594
Average damage of 24d10: 132

Level 10 Barbarian, taking only averages, +3 con mod: 15+90 (105)
While raging, make that 210 effective HP due to resistance.

A barbarian could, indeed, survive that on average. For one round, at least.
>>
>>47091573

Use your words.

"This enemy has an ability that you might not be familiar with. I could tell you all of the abilities that the enemies have, but I think that might make the game less enjoyable for you. Would you like me to explain all of their abilities to you?"

Don't be confrontational, just offer to give them exactly what they want while telling them why you think it's a bad idea to give it to them. If they still want to press on, show them the stat block in full. Your jobs as the DM is to facilitate their fun, and if they prefer to play their games with the gamefaqs walkthrough open, then either give it to them or find players who don't think that way.
>>
>>47091604

Well then they are not martials. Therefore your argument is invalid, and your complaint is simply that some casters are not as powerful as others.
>>
>>47091616
The Strength score bit for long jumps is just what they can do reliably. The description for Athletics outright says that it can be called for when you try to jump an unusually long distance.

So basically, someone with 20 Strength could jump 20 feet with a running start every time, but if they wanted to go beyond that, the chance of failure comes into play and so does Athletics.
>>
>>47091616

Very few real humans can jump that far. And you're pissed your level 1 fighter can't do it? Give me a break.
>>
>>47091666
>show them the stat block in full.

That's outright cheating.
>>
>>47091679
>>47091695
This is some really, really stale trolling.
>>
>>47091530
The only demonstration I've seen of real life fencers versus a bunch of people making untrained attacks resulted in the fencers losing. IIRC, it was 3 fencers versus 100 untrained people. Everyone had balloons that had to be popped to be considered a kill, but contact was extremely limited.

Even in a situation completely divorced from reality (no tackling, punching, or ganging up on the fencers), the 100 people eventually won.

In an actual fight between untrained commoners and a master fencer, I imagine it would take far less to take them down, because fencing as a sport is divorced from reality as well.

tl;dr
Your 40 AC remark is stupid.
>>
>>47091558
>D&D should be about more enjoyable and realistic adventures that people actually identify with.

D&D has been a game of superhero murder hobos since its inception. If you want a more grounded game, there are literally hundreds of other RPGs that will do that for you. May I suggest Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Harnmaster, Burning Wheel, GURPS, or RuneQuest?
>>
>>47091657
>>47091664
A monster that big is obviously going to be magical.
>>
>>47091715
Barbarians don't care if the damage is from a magical source.

Bear barbs don't even care about the damage type.
>>
>>47091703

Yes, I agree, that's why I wrote it. If your players ask to cheat, give it to them. Let them disappoint themselves with their hollow victory, and learn first-hand that a little mystery makes the game more fun.
>>
>>47091695
>level 1 fighter with 20 strength
>>
>>47091707

Why? Because I am calling out your entitled whining as the bullshit it is?

Don't like the class? Don't play it. But your whining accomplishes nothing except power creep which would ruin D&D. Martials are power enough for their intended role. Can't deal with it? Play a wizard. No one's stopping you, but apparently no one is stopping you from complaining about every single class that doesn't live up to your expectations of it being exactly the same and doing the exact same thing, because you are pissed your fighter cannot fly or turn invisible. You wanted that? You should've played a wizard.

You have no right to complain, and you didn't back in AD&D and 3.5, either.
>>
>>47091725
That won me over. Good idea.
>>
>>47091657
That would be fucking awesome, though.
>The moon falls on top of you
>However, utter annihilation is held off by this raging barbarian, apparently trying to stop the moon on its tracks and, for at least a moment, succeeding!

And people say martials aren't awesome...
>>
>>47091724
It would be very stupid that monsters with the same resistances lose them against magical weapons while the barbarian doesn't.
>>
>>47091709
>superhero murder hobos

Heh. Try reading OD&D again, kiddo. If that's the tone you think they were going for, you are clearly deluded.

> If you want a more grounded game, there are literally hundreds of other RPGs that will do that for you. May I suggest Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Harnmaster, Burning Wheel, GURPS, or RuneQuest?

No, because all of those games are poorly made and are D&D rip-offs. Except for GURPS, which as I said is excellent.

D&D is not about superheroes, that's what Mutants and Masterminds is. And since superheroes are bland and unengaging, and D&D stories can be engaging... well, I think that's proof enough, dont you?

But anyway, D&D has no excuse for blatant unrealism just because it contains magic.
>>
>>47091763
>D&D has no excuse for blatant unrealism just because it contains magic.
Heh. Try reading OD&D again, kiddo.
>>
>>47091744
Well, actually, people say martials aren't magical. But that's clearly some magical shit.
>>
>>47091735

Nobody in this thread is arguing for powering up the martial classes. It's just one butthurt neckbeard arguing for—well, I don't really know what you're arguing for. D&D should be less magical than it is?

I don't know what it is you hope to accomplish here. Are you trying to convince us all that we should houserule our games to be more realistic? Are you hoping that WotC's developers are reading this thread, preparing 6th edition, just waiting for your wisdom to guide them in the right direction?
>>
>>47091735
No, just because someone posts this exact argument with this exact style every two weeks or so. It's just getting old.

>>47091762
There's monsters that don't lose their resistances against magical weapons, though.
>>
>>47091744
>>47091781
Sorry, meant to write "And people say martials aren't interesting or fun"
>>
>>47091763

>Except for GURPS, which as I said is excellent.

Then play it, for Christ's sake, and leave the rest of us out of your little crusade.
>>
>>47091229
>>47091211
...Which is why the rules already give you disadvantage for making RWAs on a target within 5 feet of you.

The range rules in the PHB state that you attack normally up to the weapon's optimum range and with Disadvantage between the weapon's optimum and maximum range. You cannot make the attack beyond the weapon's maximum range.

As long as the DM is consistent, whatever, but it's a house rule, and >>47091256 is still correct.
>>
>>47091803
>There's monsters that don't lose their resistances against magical weapons

Like what?
>>
>>47091832
Demilich.
>>
>>47091813
Generally, they aren't.

"I hit it with my sword" only lasts so long anon.
>>
>>47091837
Is that the only one?
>>
>>47091781

No, that is some shit brought about by hit points inflation, and a DMG writer who does not understand that a moon falling on you would deal MILLIONS of damage.

That is not magic. That is a mistake.
>>
>>47091803
>every two weeks
More like every other day!
>>
>>47091773

Which exact part? OD&D was fairly lethal and realistic.

>>47091803

Well maybe you should listen to them instead of dismissing them because they bring up an uncomfortable truth.
>>
File: 40kCosplayJimProfit.jpg (41 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
40kCosplayJimProfit.jpg
41 KB, 580x386
>>47091735
>ONLY WIZARDS SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING

>You have no right to complain
Actually yeah he does. Get over yourself kid. He also has a right to cum in your mom's fat pussy.

How about you take your faggot wizard fetish somewhere else? Maybe Reddit?
>>
>>47091832
I don't see why there should be monsters like that: If you're just going to make half the party do half damage to it, why not just double its health and give it vulnerabilities instead? It's less work.
>>
Does anyone have any experience using an Ipad to display maps for your group? We aren't using minis or anything, it's all still theater of the mind, but it really helps to be able to use the Curse of Strahd maps during sessions as a visual aid.

Is the best way to just use the picture by itself and just zoom in? Are there more efficient ways to do it?
>>
>>47091829
>...Which is why the rules already give you disadvantage for making RWAs on a target within 5 feet of you.

Yes but it should be within 25 feet.

> You cannot make the attack beyond the weapon's maximum range.

Also bullshit. Crossbows could regularly hit targets past 1000 yards.
>>
>>47091763

>Heh. Try reading OD&D again, kiddo.

Nigger, 8th level Fighting-Men are literally called "Superhero" in OD&D.

1. Veteran
2. Warrior
3. Swordsman
4. Hero
5. Swashbuckler
6. Myrmidon
7. Champion
8. Superhero
9. Lord
>>
>>47091869

> angry sperging from butthurt martial player

Play a wizard and shut up. If you give fighters spells they are basically wizards anyway so it comes to the same thing.

Stop trying to ruin D&D with your stupid ideas of how the game should be balanced.
>>
>>47091886
> MUH REEEELIZM
Read the goddamn book. Your tummyfeels about what rules do and don't make sense mean literally nothing.
>>
>>47091851
>what is roleplaying during combat
>what is describing your actions in varied ways
>what is reveling in the blood of your foes
>>
>>47091891

> superhero is mentioned in the rules
> therefore the game is about superheroes

So D&D is a horror game because it mentions horror somewhere?

Also, your logic means that only fighters are superheroes. The other classes, including rogue, aren't.

That name is in there because gygax couldn't think of 10 names for the levels. There's a reason he stopped at 10 because he ran out of ideas. He was also a fucking moron who didn't understand how to design games, that's why D&D has been BTFO by almost every game that's come since.
>>
File: kang speaks.jpg (118 KB, 377x887) Image search: [Google]
kang speaks.jpg
118 KB, 377x887
>>47091886

>Yes but it should be within 25 feet.

>Crossbows could regularly hit targets past 1000 yards.

Neat. Houserule it for your table and shut the fuck up about it.
>>
File: ZoloJimProfit.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ZoloJimProfit.png
1 MB, 1024x768
>>47091891
>Swordsman
>Swashbuckler

>Demand with mu'h bonus feats be able to wield three longswords at the same time with full attack bonus.

>Half this thread will complain so they can feel better about their small penis cause their wizard is dealing death touch every round.
>>
>>47091930
Annnnd how do those actually give me more options?
>>
>>47091931

>that's why D&D has been BTFO by almost every game that's come since.

Then why the fuck are you still in this thread? Go play a game you like. No one is shoving Gygax's cock down your throat here.
>>
>>47091931
Somebody got wholesale pricing on their strawmen, I see.
>>
>>47091930
>what are "all things that casters can do, but casters still get spells to spice things up."
>>
Personally I just mix and match classes at character creation until I'm happy.

The end result is usually a total badass with a d12 hitdie, proficiency in 6 skills, can use all weapons/armor, and is a full spell caster with access to every spell.
>>
>>47091931
>that's why D&D has been BTFO by almost every game that's come since
Virt? Is that you?
>>
>>47091933
>Neat. Houserule it for your table and shut the fuck up about it.

No. I should not have to settle for substandard rules.

Oh by the way that argument applies to your overpowered martials whining as well. Just houserule it bro! Even if D&D turns into a moronic weeaboo wankfest (pro-tip: it already has) you can always just houserule it, and any criticism of the rules is invalid!

No, anon, you shut the fuck up.
>>
>>47091866
Man, it's not even good trolling, trying to apply physics in a universe where people can walk on water, throw dragons with one hand, reliably hit the "weak points" of a featureless blob, breathe fire, parry the attacks of giants, block dragonfire, and far more without casting a single spell.
>>
>>47091979
>No. I should not have to settle for substandard rules.
Well they're already out, so either settle for them, change them, or go play something different.

You won't change anyone's minds here or anywhere, about anything. This is the Internet.
>>
>>47091980

> in a universe where people can walk on water,

With magic

> throw dragons with one hand,

With magic.

> reliably hit the "weak points" of a featureless blob,

Except oozes are immune to ciritcal hits. Not in 5e? Well that's the devs fault for fucking up a perfectly good rule.

> breathe fire,

With magic

> parry the attacks of giants

The AC rules do not imply parrying.

> block dragonfire,

With magic

Again, you are wrong. Everything you have listed is wrong.

> without casting a single spell.

Nope. Not possible without magic. So either provide some RAW justifications here that arne't your own shitty interpretation, or admit you fellate your characters with rule of cool weeaboo fightin crap that no one else who actually follows the rules uses.
>>
>>47091964

>This is the 80th time we have shitposted the same meme in /5eg/, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.
>>
>>47091997

That's fine. If people of a lower IQ choose to be ignorant, that is their right.
>>
File: virtualoptim.png (329 KB, 500x698) Image search: [Google]
virtualoptim.png
329 KB, 500x698
>>47092004
>Except oozes are immune to ciritcal hits. Not in 5e? Well that's the devs fault for fucking up a perfectly good rule.
You're in a 5e thread bitching about 5e which you clearly don't know jackshit about.

Virt pls go
>>
>>47092010
Stop using the same easily countered arguments.
>>
File: ZoloJimProfit.jpg (782 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
ZoloJimProfit.jpg
782 KB, 1920x1200
>>47091979
Casterfags can suck my left-nut. Basically every argument with them comes down too

>No no! Psionics are bad!
>Tome of Battle is bad!
>3rd party and variants are bad!

>Oh, your caster is spamming fort save or die every round? That's cool bra'h. Casters are meant to be powerful... : ^ )

It's really fucking stupid and if you're that much of a child I'm just going to take all your dice and books by force and make better use of them. If you're going to be the bratty 11 year old fat kid, I'm going to be the 14 year old bully who takes your shit. Go cry to your mommy about it.
>>
>>47091949
Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight give you more options if you're a fighter. Barbarian and Champion players usually just want to feel like badasses destroying and cleaving while managing to take hit after hit and still stand. And that's totally fine. Less options doesn't mean less fun, unless you're very unimaginative.
>>
>>47092023

Then explain how an ooze has vulnerable parts in 5e.

I do know about 5e, you are the one making up bullshit and vague interpretations of the rules and refusing to back up any of your claims. I am still waiting for how you can breath fire without magic, because that is inherently a magic ability.
>>
>>47092004
>The AC rules do not imply parrying.

Yes they do. If you manage to smack the DM's dice away as they're shouting and shout "Parry!", your character parries the attack.
>>
>>47091979

>No. I should not have to settle for substandard rules.

Then play

a different

game

I sincerely do not know what you're trying to accomplish here. Do you want us all to stop playing D&D? Are you trying to convince us all to write a new edition of D&D that will suit your tastes more?

Look here you go: I fully admit, and publicly affirm, that D&D is the worst game in history. It is an unrealistic piece of shit, and no one should play it. Crossbows should be accurate to 1000 yards and inaccurate within 25 feet. No one could survive being attacked by the moon without magic. I agree to all of these points.

Are you happy? What can we do to make you happy, anon?
>>
>>47092033

> If you're going to be the bratty 11 year old fat kid, I'm going to be the 14 year old bully who takes your shit. Go cry to your mommy about it.

Jesus christ the projection here.

> It's really fucking stupid and if you're that much of a child I'm just going to take all your dice and books by force and make better use of them.

Go ahead and try. You will go to jail / get shot by my Maverick 88 over a game. Are you really that much of an infant that you can't handle the fact that wizards are just better?

Play a wizard. No one is stopping you. You are literally causing your own problem by playing a fighter and whining about it not being able to turn invisible or cast spells. That is what wizards do. This is r9k-tier projection whining. Grow up.
>>
>>47092045
>Yes they do. If you manage to smack the DM's dice away as they're shouting and shout "Parry!", your character parries the attack.

That's rule of cool bullshit that doesn't actually happen. Find me a rules reference or your argument is invalid.

>>47092055

No. D&D advertises it as a good game, therefore it will have good rules if it wants y money. End of story.
>>
>>47092069

>get shot by my Maverick 88

Watch out guys, he's going to shoot us with his firearms, because he is very serious about the superiority of wizards.
>>
>>47092004
> block dragonfire,
>With magic

Can't speak to the rest, but the Shield Master feat can let a Fighter prevent himself from taking any damage from a breath weapon, fireball, meteor or whatever.

Maybe you should just accept that 5e isn't trying to be the gritty realistic middle-ages simulator (+wizards who are exempt) that you want it to be and remember that this is a GAME.

It's a game where the designers wanted to make sure a character could use a crossbow in the titular Dungeon without having to make sure there was a 1000 yard corridor, and make sure that a Fighter could fight against massive dragons without just being turned into a pulp instantly.
>>
>>47092082
>D&D advertises it as a good game, therefore it will have good rules if it wants my money. End of story.

Well, goodbye then. It was nice knowing you.
>>
File: dontlike.jpg (86 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
dontlike.jpg
86 KB, 500x628
>>47092082

>D&D advertises it as a good game, therefore it will have good rules if it wants y money. End of story.

Again, just

play

a different

game.

What are you trying to convince us of? Why do you care if other people enjoy a game that you don't?
>>
>>47092069
>Go to jail
Police will laugh in your face if you cry to them about stealing your D&D books I guarantee it. You're fucked kid.

What gets me is how you seriously think you're going to scare us with "I'll...I'll call d'a police!" but than proceed to admit to first degree murder. OKAY...

>I'll shoot you!
Woe there tiger. Does dad know you've been playing with his gun? You don't want to get in trouble now... just hand over the dice and books, and we'll pretend none of this happened. ;)
>>
>>47092069

>You are literally causing your own problem by playing a fighter and whining about it not being able to turn invisible or cast spells.

No one is doing this. You marched into this thread ready to go to war with someone who is not present in the thread. Calm your teats.
>>
>>47092039
Those do make combat much more interesting, I will give you that. My issue is that they dont make anything else much interesting. Unless you spend all of the EK free school spells on OFC utility which can work.

I guess my problem is I really dont care about having a combat monster. I just wanna not be fucked over when im not killing things. And while I could play a rogue I then have the problem of dying to a heavy breeze..... Basically what I probabbly need is a nonmagic form of bard
>>
>>47092004
>people can walk on water

Monk's unarmored movement, level 9.

>throw dragons with one hand

Possibly bear token barbarians.

>reliably hit the "weak points" of a featureless blob

Not about critical hits, but Rogues' sneak attack.

>breathe fire

I'm guessing dragonborn? Or WotE monks.

>parry the attacks of giants

Then tell me how the fighter with 10 Dexterity avoided the blow? What about the barbarian whose primary defense is literally his Constitution?

>block dragonfire

Rogue's evasion, level 7. You succeed on the save, you take no damage.

All of that, no spell required. Except perhaps breathe fire. Tell me again how familiar you are with 5e?
>>
>>47092119
I don't know about whatever shithole you live in, but here in the good parts of america, you're allowed to shoot people breaking into your house.
>>
>>47092155

Fighters get a fair number of skills in this edition, and with backgrounds you can get any skill you like. Go grab a skilly roleplay feat or two, and you can do that just fine.
>>
>>47092155
Take 1-3 levels of Rogue, multiclass Fighter.

Yeah, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it to work, but it offers a nice hefty boost of utility to a Fighter.
>>
>>47092195
It only counts as breaking and entering if it was in the dead of night and you weren't expecting it retard.

If you know me and kill me, you will be trialed for murder. If you don't believe me do it big man. Go kill a family member or friend and argue they were "trespassing".

Real life doesn't work like 4chan. I know these faggot moderators get away with it, but they also get away with child pornography. The real world isn't nearly as autistic and you're going to have an extraordinarily bad day when you realize that first-hand.
>>
>>47092198
>>47092199
Ill give it a shot. So for Rogue archetypes would you say Mastermind Rogue works well with Battlemaster? Could be good for playing a "Master of Tactics"
>>
>>47092069
So was Summon Strawman in the Elemental Evil booklet or the new UA?
>>
>>47090628

>Potion Edition:

I'm running a 1e module, and my players just got a potion of Brass Dragon control. How would you guys manage this?
>>
>>47092039
And those are good, but they're not enough really. For instance, there's no good options for rangers.

>>47092235
This is anonymous posting anon. I don't know you.
>>
>>47092245
This has nothing to do with y'alls argument but the actual spell "Summon Strawman" would be pretty bitchin. Maybe at higher spell slots it can be a Wickerman?
>>
File: bad_touch.jpg (41 KB, 364x360) Image search: [Google]
bad_touch.jpg
41 KB, 364x360
>>47092155
Why? If you want you character to do what a spellcaster does, play as a spellcaster. It sounds like you want magic without labeling it as magic. The rest of us don't give half a fried shit if our Fighters and Rogues can't do the things you're crying about. The totally vague, non-specific things you're crying about. How you're getting "fucked over" when you're not killing things. What's fucking you over?
>>
File: dndclassbalance2.png (256 KB, 2994x1477) Image search: [Google]
dndclassbalance2.png
256 KB, 2994x1477
>>
>>47092272
It's your fat momma. Go to bed so I can get my pussy rammed by that nice boy you try to keep forcing to play a wizard.

You got school anyway.
>>
>>47092310

K, you don't like D&D. Great. Go play something you like, then.
>>
>>47092310
That's not how Venn Diagrams work.

Are you ltierally brain dead? Did your parents drop you or try and drown you when they first saw you?

What the actual fuck is wrong with you? It's a Venn Diagram! It isn't the most complicated Diagram in the world!

I learned about it in 1st or 2nd grade, holy shit, you dumb nigga.
>>
>>47091300
Levels represent power. A Wizard of level 10 is of equal power to a Fighter of level 10. If a Wizard can explode an army, a Fighter should be able to cut the army down just as easily. In fact, the argument could be made that the Fighter should have an easier time of it, as it fits more directly into his niche than it does into the Wizard's.

Martial characters are not mere mortals. And the bullshit excuse that magic characters should get away with more because they're magic is a stupid tautology.
>>
File: BaitovenJimProfit.jpg (52 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
BaitovenJimProfit.jpg
52 KB, 625x626
>>47092363
>You dumb
>Continues to throw money at wotc for broken systems

At least learn how to fucking torrent you fat worthless shit.

Or better yet, play Pathfinder. Least then it's right there on browser for me to show you that you're wrong.
>>
>>47092155
Then play a ranger. There's even a spell-less version of the class. But I sustain my point, you won't be fucked over out of combat by not being a caster or a rogue, you can have just as much fun as everyone.

Be a Battlemaster and use the fucking tool proficiency you gain to make useful stuff. Use Know Your Enemy to gain all kinds of information about everyone you meet. Be a Purple Dragon Knight with expertise in Persuasion. Fuck, be a folk hero Champion and enjoy your popularity with the common people, I'm sure they'll trust you much more than that sketchy wizard or that sweet tongued bard who thinks they can always have their way with everyone.
>>
>>47092363
How is that not how venn diagrams work. Everything martials can do is contained in the bounds of the red circle.

Everything casters can do is contained in the bounds of the blue circle.

Everything that is common to both classes is contained in the space common to both circle's bounds.

It's just that due to WotC's balancing, that happens to be the entirety of the red circle.
>>
>>47092397

Okay dude, you've convinced us. We all wholeheartedly agree that D&D is a terrible game. Congratulations, you've won the thread.
>>
>>47092397
No. Shut the fuck up.

First, I haven't paid for a rulebook in years.

Second, that is not how fucking Venn Diagrams work. This is an infinitely more important issues than the nonstop "Muh caster martial disparity" issue we have talked about for years. Fuck, I didn't even comment on that dead horse.

This is about you and your shitty diagramming. Venn Diagrams aren't complicated. This is a twenty second search on google to know how they work. That is not a Venn Diagram.

Were you too busy whining about whether or not an imiaginary wizard could outskill an imaginary fighter to pay ten seconds of attention in class when they were going over Venn DIagrams? Because ten seconds would be ALL YOU NEED to get this concept.

Holy fucking shit. You are so stupid.
>>
>>47092004

> in a universe where people can walk on water,

>With magic
Or the monks level 9 class feature

> throw dragons with one hand,

>With magic.
Dragons that are 100 years old or less can be pushed around by all the medium sized races.
> reliably hit the "weak points" of a featureless blob,

>Except oozes are immune to ciritcal hits. Not in 5e? Well that's the devs fault for fucking up a perfectly good rule.

You literally contradict yourself here So either provide some RAW justifications here that arne't your own shitty interpretation, or admit you fellate your monsters with rule of cool fightin crap that no one else who actually follows the rules uses.

> breathe fire,

>With magic
Or by being a dragonborn. Its a core race in 5e nigga

> parry the attacks of giants

>The AC rules do not imply parrying.

They do when you are a battlemaster using the parry ability you stupid cunt.

> block dragonfire,

>With magic

Or with the Shieldmaster feat.

>Again, you are wrong. Everything you have listed is wrong.

Imma just copypasta you again. Again, you are wrong. Everything you have listed is wrong.

> without casting a single spell.

>Nope. Not possible without magic. So either provide some RAW justifications here that arne't your own shitty interpretation, or admit you fellate your characters with rule of cool weeaboo fightin crap that no one else who actually follows the rules uses.

You got your RAW, now sod off to another edition/game or learn to put up with this one. Its hilarious that you are this hypocritical. Had to respond regardless of the smell of bait coming off this post.
>>
>>47092437
He's just a troll dude, ignore it.

In fact anyone who plays a full-caster should lose their spellcasting and be forced to take monsterous hit dice as a troll breed.
>>
>>47092363
>any diagram with circles is a Venn diagram
It's a Euler diagram, you fucking pleb. Maybe if you'd stuck around for the third grade, you would have learned about those, too.
>>
File: protesting internally.png (63 KB, 401x354) Image search: [Google]
protesting internally.png
63 KB, 401x354
>>47091504
Are you fucking stupid?

A moon dropping on someone is a cataclysmic event that would kill millions.

This has to be b8, it's so fucking stupid.
>>
>>47092464
lol, that guy isn't even a wizard. His obsession with circles proves he's a binder.

Self-loathing occultist man doesn't even realize fullcasters don't even accept him as one of their own... it's sad.
>>
>>47092464
Oh, I would agree with you...

If it wasn't labelled as a Venn Diagram in the picture.
>>
>>47092516

>Venn diagrams are a more restrictive form of Euler diagrams. A Venn diagram must contain all 2n logically possible zones of overlap between its n curves, representing all combinations of inclusion/exclusion of its constituent sets. Regions not part of the set are indicated by coloring them black, in contrast to Euler diagrams, where membership in the set is indicated by overlap as well as color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_diagram
>>
File: Youdumbnigga.png (262 KB, 2994x1477) Image search: [Google]
Youdumbnigga.png
262 KB, 2994x1477
>>
For fuck's sake.
Why are we discussing Venn diagrams posted as obvious bait?
>>
>>47092579
Because it's a more interesting topic then "muh casters" and "muh martials" for the thousandth time, I'd guess.
>>
>>47092575
>Eueler
>>
>>47092597
Good point.
>>
File: dndclassbalance3.png (272 KB, 2994x1477) Image search: [Google]
dndclassbalance3.png
272 KB, 2994x1477
>>47092516
>>47092363
Do I really have to teach basic set theory in my troll image anon?

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/venndiag3.htm
>>
Rolz.org log:
Player: how big is this guys harem
DM: About a half a dozen women, three tieflings, two drow and strange looking creature with four arms.
DM: The creature with four arms looks female and is "prettied" up
Player: in honesty i dont care much for whats going on in the underdark right now
DM: Rucu Tumeghoath, Bregan D'aerthe Agent= It's the foundation of the world, but I understand how your mind thinks. You want magic, gold and glory.
DM: Rucu Tumeghoath, Bregan D'aerthe Agent= So, do you wish to enter? It's a no holds bar FFA deathmatch.
Player: i do wish to join
DM: Rucu Tumeghoath, Bregan D'aerthe Agent= The entry fee is one magic item, of some value at least. Gold means little to the hosts.
Player: i give him my magic greatsword
DM: Rucu inspects the Sword, holds it up and tries to find the balance with his index finger
Player: also would you mind if i stayed here over the next few days
DM: Rucu Tumeghoath, Bregan D'aerthe Agent= Hm, to please me? Does she wish to join my gaggle of exotic servants? Few can resist.
DM: The tieflings start playing with your coast of fur and braiding it
DM: roll charisma save
DM: roll to see if you cry and if so, how hard
Player rolls d20 = 8
DM: You begin you cry pretty hard
Player: why am i crying
DM: Because tieflings and Rucu are starting to make you feel really uncomfortable
Player: can i attempt to stop crying
Player: dammit
DM: the women behind Rucu start giggling
DM: Also, you're six years old
DM: and very emotional since you rage all the time
Player: 6 years old is fully matured for a gnoll
DM: Rucu Tumeghoath, Bregan D'aerthe Agent= Ladies, this young gnoll needs to breath. Give her space if wishes to lay her head by silk pillows.
Player: i go to sit by a different tiefling
DM: Also, I really want to use char saves for something.
Player: ok
DM: So you just want to rest for three days here?
Player: yes
DM: You wake up with your most of your fur is combed and branded on first day
Player: i am somewhat confused
>>
>>47092605
Nigga, I dunno how they spell stuff it Britbongistan or Canada, but here on an American image board, we speak and spell things in American, the language of freedom. And the language of freedom means you don't need to give no shits about how you spell things as long as the meanings across.

Goddamn Eurocucks trying to tell me how to spell on a goddamn Red White and Blue troll image, fuck.
>>
>>47092620
Venn diagrams must contain all combinations of variables (i.e., if you have x and y, you must have xy', yx', yx, and y'x'). Euler diagrams don't have that restriction.

I like how it's a troll image twice over.
>>
>>47092620

Fixed it for you
>>
File: gobacktocanada.png (17 KB, 1111x514) Image search: [Google]
gobacktocanada.png
17 KB, 1111x514
>>47092620
>>
File: quite the witty retort.gif (1 MB, 349x225) Image search: [Google]
quite the witty retort.gif
1 MB, 349x225
>>47092716
>>
File: ftfy.jpg (98 KB, 1255x1106) Image search: [Google]
ftfy.jpg
98 KB, 1255x1106
>>47092620
Here you go, simplified, corrected, and removed tragic wall of text.
>>
>>47092658
This is only a problem if the set "things martials can do" is not a subset of the set "things casters can do".
>>
>>47092751
No, because it still has to contain the null set of 'things martials can do that casters can't' to be a Venn diagram. Otherwise it's a Euler diagram.
>>
>>47092864
That set is vacant. It can be represented on the venn diagram with empty space or simply nothing.
>>
>>47092902
No, it can't. You have to shade it, otherwise it's not a proper Venn diagram.
>>
Reminder that the average DM won't let your Fighter draw a Venn OR Euler diagram without making a DC 15 Arcana check (which all casters, even Rangers, get to pass for free).
>>
>>47092913
Not that anon, but by whose authority? Is there a governing body that rules on how TTRPG nerds are to use specific terminology? Particularly in regards to a game with "studded leather" and other atrocities of nomenclature?
>>
>>47092943
>by whose authority?
Venn himself.
>>
>>47092913
While also factually wrong, the principle you're basing this on leads to impossible to draw diagrams.

For instance, you can't shade the nonexistent overlap of two sets that don't contain any common elements. Yet you would have the venn diagram have some shading for this.

What a venn diagram actually has to do is represent all possibilities of the sets: the overlap, the elements unique to each set, etc. You can do this with simply circles that overlap for common areas, because the "null set" is implied.
>>
God, this conversation is so boring... Can we go back to D&D now?
>>
File: ooh_sorry.jpg (79 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
ooh_sorry.jpg
79 KB, 1200x800
>>47092953
Ooh, sorry, the response we were looking for was "Deez Nuts"
>>
>>47092740

No intersection = Euler diagram

We've been over this, anon
>>
>>47093029
Shouldn't you stop procrastinating on 4chan instead of worrying about this?
>>
>>47093029
I say let them besides, when the hell have we had meaningful discussions on this general
>>
>>47093029
Fighter detected. Sorry, this conversation is for classes that can get some use out of their mental stats; go back to dreaming about eight attacks a round.
>>
>>47092991
>can't shade the nonexistent overlap of two sets that don't contain any common elements.
Yes you can. You draw them overlapping, then shade the overlap to indicate that it is an empty set.
>>
>>47092991

>you can't shade the nonexistent overlap of two sets that don't contain any common elements

Sure you can
>>
>>47093088
>>47093077
God those look so ugly.

Anyways, author of the troll image here, gonna stick with venn, since that's the colloquial term people are familiar with. get rekt autists.
>>
File: he_said_member.jpg (51 KB, 445x559) Image search: [Google]
he_said_member.jpg
51 KB, 445x559
>>47093088
huh... uh huhuhuh...
>>
>>47093101
>troll image
Just because you're posting it to rustle caster supremacist jimmies doesn't mean the underlying issue doesn't exist.
>>
>>47091400
>order of the immortal mystic

sounds like the perfect class for me man, can't wait for it to be finished
>>
>>47093134
You're right. Autism is a serious problem and not to be taken lightly.
>>
>>47093101

>Using pleb tier graphical representations

Let A = The set of things martials can do
Let B = The set of things casters can do

A ⊂ B
>>
>>47093151
I've rarely run into this as an actual practical problem, because spellcasters frequently die off before their parties can afford to get them raised from the dead. By the time the party Fighter can afford to bring his Wizard comrade back from the grave, he's got a more-or-less-permanent level or two lead on the poor little fella.

Of course, I don't use the optional "starting at higher levels" rules.
>>
>>47093237
>the wizard dies before anyone else
That's how you know they're not smart enough to play a wizard.
>>
>>47093237
I think you are lying

why are you lying
>>
>>47093237
>starting at level 1
gross.

For known, trusted groups, starting at level 3 is the best way to do things, unless the campaign specifically calls for level 1.
>>
>>47093256
How stupid are goblins and such in your setting? Of course they geek the mage. I suppose if your DM likes sending you through hugbox CRPG fetch quests for the first five levels or so, that's a different story. Through three 5e campaigns the only full caster I've seen get to level 5 without help from higher-level comrades was a Circle of the Land Druid. Which was weird because I wouldn't have expected that on paper. Dice are funny.

>>47093304
Best way to take four or five of your best high-tension game sessions away. You're doing your players no favors.
>>
>>47091530
Modern fencing (Olympic) is an evolution of classical Italian and French schools of foil, epee, and sabre (though often not a full sized or weighted one) single combat dueling. Which traces it's roots back to late medieval and early modern fencing traditions, particularly influenced by the later particularly the Dardi School and L'Ecole des Armes.

A modern fencer in D&D is best represented as just a dude with a short rapier and 18-20 dexterity. There is nothing magical or special about a modern fencing master that would put their AC as high as fucking 40. That is insane.

If anything it would be lower, because a foil fencer is trained only to fight other foil fencers, not a fucking dude in plate armor and a halberd, or a fucking DRAGON. Likewise an epee fencer only fights epee fencers, and sabre fencers only fight sabre fencers. All of them only fight in the modern Olympic style, and while all of them draw techniques and tradition from dueling with the intent to kill or maim, they are not nearly as comprehensive as their predecessor schools.

Please do not try to apply your weird inaccurate brand of "realism" to D&D's heavily abstracted combat system.
>>
>>47093395
I can think of better ways to put "tension" into my sessions than giving everyone a 5% chance of dying each time they're attacked.
>>
>>47093395
DnD is as difficult as you make it. If you play exactly by the book, level 1 tends to be more dangerous than any other level. But playing exactly by the book is retarded.

So I just deliver high tension gameplay all the time anon. Must suck to have/be a shitty DM like you.
>>
Hey guys, I was thinking of being an Elven Bladesinger for an upcoming campaign. I did have a question though about this.

"...or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon."

Does this count for just two-handed weapons, or a weapon in both hands?
>>
>>47093395
>of course they geek the mage
And the wizard should be smart enough to avoid that.

Furthermore, the entire party should be kiting everything under the sun with bows until they reach an arbitrary experience level and decide "maybe I can take TWO stabs before falling over" and remember what their melee weapons are.

Last time a DM around here started everyone at one, we cheesed it until he agreed it was the dumbest thing ever.
>>
The more you can do, the more you're expected to do it and most of it isn't always what you want to do. A lot people hate that. I've seen countless players come up with these zany crazy creative caster builds, all get shit on because the group doesn't need that shit. They need a healer, a person to load up on knock spells, hold or other boring shit.
>"HO HO, this build is so OP! I'mma misty step and smack'm with my weapon as a-"
>"No, you need to heal the group because everything is on fire and half the group is on the ground."

>"Awesome, downtime! I'mma be political for a week, build some renown and piety for a couple months, visit-"
>"Whoa, hold it magic man, you're the only one who can cast that spell, you need get your ass back in the lab and get to cooking."

Fight'n man? He gets to do what he loves to do, fight; it does NOT matter if he can't even do it the best in the grand scheme of things. No one asks him to do anything else, therefore he fights the most-- thus becoming the de facto best at fighting.
>>
>>47093542
Sounds like Fight'n Man is in a party with a really shit Wizard who isn't ending every encounter before it even begins through creative exploitation of magical effects and the environment.
>>
>>47093524
Seems to be only for two-handed weapons. But you still need a free hand to use spells with somatic components unless you have War Caster.
>>
Has anyone had a lot of experience with online dnd groups? I've only ever played with RL friends (both in person and online) and we have some fun but I don't really think they are much of a long term group. I've been both DM and a player in another friend's campaign and both times the group just kind of fizzled after 5 or so sessions - people get bored or "busy", people don't show, etc.

I really want to to run a campaign with a group to see it all the way through (or until it ends organically at least) and online seems like the only place I'd be able to do this. I'm just curious for people who have done online campaigns, do they tend to last or does it have similar issues where people will just lose interest or stop showing up before things really get off the ground? Any advice on finding players that are in it for long term commitment?
>>
>>47093600
Similiar issues. Eventually through trial and error though you'll find a solid group.
>>
>>47093455
5%? That's almost exactly correct.

If you've got, say, a +2 from Dexterity you've got an unarmored AC of 12, so the goblin's got to roll an 8 to hit for 1d6+2 or a 20 to crit for 2d6+2. If the Wizard has a +2 from Constitution, he's got 8 hit points. The goblin has to hit, then do maximum damage to drop the Wizard to 0 hit points in one shot, or crit and roll slightly under average. So...

(60% chance for normal hit * ~16.7% chance for max damage) + (5% chance to crit * ~72.2%) = ~14% chance to drop to zero hit points. If left unattended, you'll fail three death saves before making three a little under 41% of the time, so you have a little over a 5% chance of dying from one goblin's shortbow attack, presuming your allies do nothing to save you after you drop.

Wizards need to be careful at 1st level.

>>47093528
>kiting
They just need to manage the mob aggro correctly, right? The bad guys pursue if it makes sense, to the bad guys, to pursue. No wonder you plebs complain about boring play if you've got DMs running monsters like MMO mooks.

Yes, cautious tactics are highly advisable. And still the "Second Wind" Fighter class feature is my group's low-level MVP. That said, of the past five or six PCs I've seen die off (the dice got 'em, not me), only one was 1st level. My players are plenty smart, but shit goes sideways sometimes.
>>
>>47091869
Garbage, human garbage are the only ones who would tell someone to go to reddit
>>
>>47091178
I think you meant to say don't get an opportunity attack
>>
>>47091931
DnD is the bestselling tabletop rpg of all time, I'm pretty sure each edition of dnd, even 4th sold more than their nearest competition, at least in the same time frames
>>
>>47093749
There's a lot of speculation about this, but very little in the way of hard numbers. In some markets D&D was probably outsold at various times, but we don't really know. Nobody tracks it in a way that doesn't lead to reasonably plausible objections.
>>
>>47093739
>without using your movement, action, or reaction
So for example, a Battlemaster's pushing attack doesn't trigger opportunity attacks. Dissonant Whispers, since it makes the creature use the reaction to move away, fulfills the conditions needed. Basically, if they actually move away (even if unwillingly), they trigger an attack. If they are thrown, shoved, pushed, etc, then no.
>>
File: scared Ryoko.png (115 KB, 213x179) Image search: [Google]
scared Ryoko.png
115 KB, 213x179
>>47093600
>was forever alone DM for years
>never had that many players
>decided to get serious and N E T W O R K
>go to local hobby store, colleges and cons
>groups starts getting bigger and bigger
>offer one on one solo questing during in game extended downtimes and Skype sessions
>have too many people, almost 8 regulars now in two groups with tons of lurkers
>starting a third group this summer
>mfw
This happening so fast.

The best way of getting shitloads of people, host your games at the local hobby shop, start networking and go to local cons.
Also, get good, be convincing and look good.
>>
>>47093790
>In some markets D&D was probably outsold at various times,
Usually the foreign ones. For instance, I believe Germany's most popular RPG is DSA, and Hungary's is MAGUS. I think Sweden's most popular is a Swedish original.
>>
>>47093565
Wizard engineering is a lot harder to do in 5E because of concentration. You need more than one caster if you want even pull off half the stuff you could pull in other editions, even 4E, a lot of the at-wills were downright broken out of combat.

What are some good solo magic schematics, fellow engineering?
>>
>>47093879
I put that down to inconsistent translations and poor marketing. They don't translate the material into the language often enough or regularly enough, and they don't shill it nearly as hard as they do in English.
>>
>>47093946
Be prepared for him to spout off a bunch of 7th+ level spells.
>>
File: map dungeon.jpg (787 KB, 1600x1233) Image search: [Google]
map dungeon.jpg
787 KB, 1600x1233
I'm designing a dungeon that is or is a portion of a reasonably large village, but encased in ice and buried under snow. Parts of it will have been carved out by the baddie's minions, including ice hallways between many buildings, and many buildings themselves, forming chambers in the dungeon.

I'm looking for inspiration on what kind of features to put in this dungeon to make it feel like a dead village. Can anyone help?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>47093618
That's what I figured. Part of the problem (at least with my campaign, in the way I designed it) is that a lot of the initial sessions are focused on establishing a lot of the framework. While there's enough there between new and interesting content to keep the players interested, as a DM (knowing what I've designed further on) the first few sessions are significantly less fun to DM and groups (so far) fall apart before it even gets to the really good stuff. I worry there might be a finite time I can run those first few sessions before I just burn myself out on them trying to find a group that can stay together through them.

>>47093862
That actually does sound like a solid way to do it, but I'm not sure how realistic it is in my situation. The only hobby shop around me has a pretty minor dnd following based on my talks with the guy that runs the place and its definitely more of an MTG place. Online is kind of my only good option to find serious players - and with the tools available online I'm a lot more confident running my campaign digitally anyways.
>>
>>47094158
I play my games AT the hobby shop, not so much recruit from there. People are really reluctant to go into strangers homes to play a game it turns out.
>>
>>47094142
>100+ room dungeon
Fuck anyone who does this
>>
>>47094142
Dead villagers
>>
>>47094222
>dungeons shouldn't be massive affairs that your players can return to over and over, seeing new things every time
>>
>>47094158
>the first few sessions are significantly less fun to DM and groups (so far) fall apart before it even gets to the really good stuff

The first sessions are the most important ones of all and should be the MOST exciting. If the group isn't having fun within the first hour of the session starting, you're doing something horribly wrong.
>>
>>47094248
>dungeons shouldn't be massive affairs of which 75% of the dungeon has dick-all inside
>>
What happens if you cast time stop while time is stopped from you previously casting time stop?

Do you go into a deeper level of time stop?
>>
>>47094285
If your dungeons are mostly empty, that's your problem. Get some WGR1 in you, only Z100-Z300 are mostly empty
>>
File: 1428145220118.jpg (21 KB, 343x239) Image search: [Google]
1428145220118.jpg
21 KB, 343x239
>>47091211
>Confirmed for literal nogunz

Have you even SHOT a bow or a crossbow? Or even a real gun for that matter? 30 feet is perfect for shooting an arrow with. Heck, even 15 feet is perfect for shooting a crossbow with.

I'd be skeptical as hell if some guy said he could load his bow, draw, and shoot some guy running around 15 five in front of his face, but if the bow or crossbow was already loaded, and if it was already kind of pointed in their general direction, then hitting someone from even 10 feet away wouldn't even be that much of a stretch.

I've done those little 21 feet simulations with airsoft guns and shit, and it turns out it really only applies if your gun is still in the holster and you don't know when he's going to attack, if at all.

But if you're an adventurer, walking around your little dungeon with your bow drawn at all times, then you shouldn't really have much of a problem taking care of baddies who try to get up close and personal.

Pic related: Mfw lazy DMs don't put in the time to do the research
>>
>>47094300
Timeception.
>>
>>47094222
I'd raid that temple with a small army.
>>
>>47094327
trained bowmen could handle notching and drawing an arrow in a short time against a close target.

Probably not crossbowmen,
>>
>>47094383
Yeah, but other than the whole "notching and drawing" issue, there's literally no reason why shooting someone from 30 feet away with an arrow or a crossbow would yield damage modifying penalties. If anything, if would mean your attacks get even STRONGER.

Anon's DM is a big fat dummy, and also, most likely a nigger.
>>
>>47094180
That makes sense. But still, with my friends more or less disinterested in dnd at this time I don't see anyone showing up at the shop either unless there happen to be a lot of people there suddenly down for a game.

>>47094270
Oh of course, I might have explained badly. For the players these first sessions are definitely among the best, its what was able to bring a bunch of people that didn't know or care about dnd together to play and get into it for a few weeks. The players loved it and they were having a lot of fun, its just not a game I can see people like them staying interested in. I just mean that as a DM these aren't necessarily the sessions I enjoy the most as a DM, just because I know what kind of stuff I do have planned later which is significantly more enjoyable to host
>>
>work on campaign for a while
>telling my friends about how cool it is
>he likes d&d so he offers to gather some people so we can play it
>I'm reluctant but I say ok
>myself and 5 players
>first session goes better than I could ever have expected
>everyone had fun, telling me how good it was
>set up a weekly time
>second session is more of the same
>third session a player has to work
>half the others don't show because they assume its canceled
>agree to meet next week
>next week someone doesn't show again with no heads up, a different player
>following week we have 4 show up, and decide to play with 4
>they seem to have fun again and talk about being excited to get back to playing
>multiple players next week inform the group they can't make it
>say its bs, lets find a time that actually works
>come up with and agree on a new time
>someone bails again
>getting sad now, talk to them each individually and ask for honest feedback if they are just bored or don't like the campaign or what the issue is
>they all spin the same story
>"I'm totally still into the campaign, shit's just been crazy lately!"
>everyone is still 'interested in playing' so meet at the time next week
>2 people show, cancel the session again
>2 of the others show up within an hour online playing overwatch
Am I just a bad DM? How can I find out what went wrong to improve it?

I'm kind of sad right now, I had high hopes for this campaign and worked pretty hard on it
>>
>>47094142
Are you making this off of a Dwarf Fortress map or something?
>>
>>47094593
Some people are just unreliable, there not bad people.
They can be great guys, but they have other things they value over there hobby.
They look after there own self interest and you should do the same.
Select the few players that are reliable and bar the rest from returning.
I have seen so many great campaigns and good role players wimper out due to postponing and general unreliability.
>>
>>47094593
how old are you?

It's finals season for a lot of people in high school and college, so finding the time for DnD can be difficult.

I recommend scrapping the high story campaigns and just going with something people can drop into at will. Something like the west marches. Maybe you include a larger meta plot, but it should rarely be required that you have more than 2 players in a session.
>>
>>47094593
Video gamers, they're flakes and terrible at RP'ing. Never go out of your way to recruit them. You also accepted a raw package deal, bad move. When one doesn't show, the others will follow.

Finally, never cancel the session. Ever. If it's one person, fucking just do it. And you keep on doing it and make sure others know that you're a committed DM. Eventually you'll get more people, but if you have two loyal players that's all you need to get the ball rolling.
>>
I'm trying to decide where my level 8 ASI should be going.

>War Cleric
>16, 10, 16, 11, 20, 9 rolled stats
>Variant Human w/ Warcaster

wat do
>>
>tfw no UA
>>
>>47094934
>rolled stats

That better have been 8str8 m8.
>>
>>47094955
>not rolling stats
It's like you WANT all your characters to be entirely the same.

I also have no idea wtf you were to say there.
>>
>>47094934
Get Observant or Dungeon Delver you munchkin.

>>47094972
Eight arrays, rolled 3d6 straight down. Pick one or take a standard array like a wimp.
>>
>>47094972
>It's like you WANT all your characters to be entirely the same.
Nice meme

There're enough combinations with point buy for that to never realistically happen, even with elite array you have different options for years
>>
>>47094997
>observant
>+1 to Wis
>When he already has a 20
nice
>>
>>47094593
>Finals

Brah, I haven't gone to my game sesh in over a month now (mostly because I'm study-buddying with the people I play with)
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Observant_ASI.png (146 KB, 439x134) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Observant_ASI.png
146 KB, 439x134
>>47095016
>he plays a tabletop RPG
>he demonstrably cannot read
nice
>>
>>47092239
You could go BM / Swashbuckler and pick up Charisma; they've got a couple of abilities between them that key off of Cha.
>>
>>47091763
>Gurps is excellent.

How many turnips did you try to smoke today?
>>
>>47094593
Dude I went from fucking 2 players to now consistent 5 but up to 8 in about two weeks. Finals has been a problem for some, and being a lazy shit has been a problem for others. It's gonna get better Anon, stick in there.
>>
File: 1452328231721.jpg (60 KB, 648x580) Image search: [Google]
1452328231721.jpg
60 KB, 648x580
>>47095147
HE DIDN'T HAVE OBSERVANT YOU DOLT, CAN'T YOU READ?
>>
>>47095457
I think you may be clinically retarded. Your argument is about as clear as mud, what exactly are you trying to convey?
>>
File: Bucephalus.jpg (17 KB, 200x220) Image search: [Google]
Bucephalus.jpg
17 KB, 200x220
>>47095506
I was making a joke. I was calling you retarded for calling him retarded for him not being able to observe something when he doesn't yet have the observant feature.
>>
>>47095522
The person I replied to is not the person asking what feat their character should take. That poster referred to the original guy as "he". Sorry to inform you, but you're witless.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.