[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1441597834684.jpg (544 KB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
1441597834684.jpg
544 KB, 2448x1836
Abzan Edition

>Do you think Abzan Company has a ban in its future?

>What reprints do you hope to see in Eldritch Moon?
>>
>>47072175
I wouldn't put it past WotC to ban Chord.

>What reprints do you hope to see in Eldritch Moon?
None. Reprints don't help me any.
>>
File: cardart_phyrexianlibrarian.jpg (162 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
cardart_phyrexianlibrarian.jpg
162 KB, 700x500
>>47072358
>>None. Reprints don't help me any.
I probably should have worded that better. "Reprints of cards not currently in the Modern cardpool." Money cards will obviously be in Eternal Masters.
>>
This memedern thread is terrible already. Delete plox.
>>
I'm going to enter modern night tomorrow and just test the waters. I don't expect to win much but this is the best deck at my kitchen table. On a scale from shit to premium shit that costs $25 extra, where do you put this?

4x delver of secrets
4x monastery swiftspear
4x vapor snag
4x lightning bolt
4x mana leak
3x serum visions
2x act of treason
2x remand
2x dungeon geists
1x goblin dark-dwellers
1x true-name nemesis
1x electrolyze
1x grip of the roil
1x sword of body and mind
1x sword of vengeance
1x will of the naga
1x izzet charm
1x echoing truth
1x thought scour

4x shivan reef
2x mana confluence
3x swiftwater cliffs
7x island
5x mountain

Sideboard
2x stone rain
2x roast
2x dragon's claw
2x nihil spellbomb
1x grafdigger's cage
2x smash to smithereens
2x annul
1x hurkyl's recall
1x hibernation
>>
>>47072637
Prepare your anus, you will fold to tron every time.
>>
4x Path to Exile
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Anger of the Gods
1x Supreme Verdict
1x Elspeth, Knight Errant
1x Gideon Jura
4x Sleight of Hand
2x Muddle the Mixture
3x Geist of Saint Traft
1x Electrolyze
1x Lightning Helix
3x Thopter Foundry
3x Thought-Knot Seer
2x Reality Smasher
2x Sword of the Meek
1x Sword of Feast and Famine
1x Ratchet Bomb

Rate my jeskai_memes.dec
>>
>>47072812
>Making a bad deck out of good cards
Back to standard plox
>>
>>47072637
>true-name nemesis
Not modern legal
>>
>>47072358
If they ban Chord I swear to fucking God ill sell out of modern completely, every time i build a deck it gets banned

Im trying to make hardened scales work in modern because its my favourite standard card
So far ive got this

Creatures
4x Noble Hierarch
4x Squadron Hawk
4x Dark Confidant
3x Kitchen Finks
1x Elesh Norn

Enchantments/walkers
4x Hardened Scales
3x Ajani Goldmane

Instant/sorcery
4x Path to Exile
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Thoughtseize
1x Murderous Cut
1x Dismember
2x Dromokas Command

Land
4x Gavony township
Tbd

Im liking the idea, it does seem rather slow but at least it's less so than some modern "aggro" decks.
Im looking for ideas to make it a lot better, any cheaper way to amass counters and be fairly resilient and not die to everything.
I want to avoid goyf as I dont want to buy another playset, but im struggling to find a big beater that comes down and wrecks face for fairly cheap.
>>
>>47072845
Uhhhhhh. Shit. So it's not. That slot is now a grim lavamancer I guess. Until I find a suitable replacement.
>>
>>47073062
What made you think that TNN would be Modern legal, and why the hell would you only put 1 of them in your deck if it was?
>>
>>47072637
In modern Delver
12-14 creatures
18-20 land
26-30 instants and sorceries

You want in those instants and sorceries
4 remand
4 mana leak/spell pierce
2 spell snare
4 Serum Visions
4 gitaxian probe
>>
>>47073307
The deck was given to me by a friend who used to be very competitive and drive around playing in different states before he had a baby/got a job. The 1 of true-name was in there. He said the deck was left overs and a bit of filler but it would be fine for casual play. I've changed a few cards over time but true-name was always a fucking bomb when I drew it so I didn't take it out. It had a modern border so I assumed it was modern legal

I guess I should mention I haven't spent a penny on the deck so far, everything there is either opened or traded for (or was given for free)
>>
>>47072950
Why bother with a hardened scales deck if most of your cards have nothing to do with +1/+1 counters? None of your creatures ETB with counters on them, the only cards you even have that put counters on are Ajani, Dromoka's command (on one creature), and gavony township (which costs a lot of mana). You're essentially hoping that first of all you draw your hardened scales, then you draw one of your...9? Potential cards that place counters on creatures. Squadron Hawk doesn't even make sense, you're valuing it way too high just because it was in Cawblade. Bobs are going to tear you up with no real ways to regain life aside from finks (and ajani if you want that card to be even more worthless in that deck). It feels like a kitchen table deck where you throw in your favorite cards, but it can't decide if it wants to be weenie aggro, pseudo control, or midgame "swing for 30".

If you want to turn it into a more green stompy deck while remaining cheap, cut the hardened scales and ajani, replace them with overruns and more good creatures. If you want to stay abzan midrangey, pick up some of the abzan staples like siege rhino and anafenza. If you're going for control, just start again from scratch.
>>
>>47073461
Thats why im looking for help because im not very good at deckbuilding in modern, but I still want to do this. I don't want to play Abzan midrange because ive done it before, but I do want to be able to take games off of people

The idea was to make it resilient until I could find an Ajani, Gavony township and then do the midgame swing for 30 thing. Having no real way in Abzan colours to control until that point, I included generic disruption and removal. I couldn't think of a way to do it before t4-5 though. I could easily see the deck being btfo by an aggro-control deck or living end, which is why I thought they would be an ok idea, though admittedly they were a spur of the moment inclusion

Ill try again

Creatures
4x Experiment One
4x Gyre Sage
4x Tarmogoyf
2x another undying creature
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Anafenza

Enchantments/walkers
4x Hardened Scales
2x Liliana of the Veil

Instant/sorcery
4x Path to Exile
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Thoughtseize
1x Murderous Cut
1x Dismember

4x Gavony Township
>>
>>47072950
Ditch all the creatures you have except the Nobles
Cut black from deck, go G/W
Add more dromokas command
Add a tribal-humans shell;

4 champion of the parish
4 thalias lieutenant

maybe 1 Mayor of avabruck (the whole deck is humans)
maybe 1 Kytheon (he's a 2/1 1 mana human PLANESWALKER op)

For more creatures with counters;
4 experiment one (this with the parish/lieutenant package is op)
4 servant of the scale (filler)
2 simic initiate (more filler)
1 Mikaeus, the Lunarch (seems cool)
>>
>>47072950
dude how are you trying to build a deck around hardened scales without including creatures that use counters?

scavenging ooze should be auto-include.
more counters cards:
llanowar reborn
servant of the scale
quirion dryad if you stay junk colors
varolz
corpsejack menace
gilder bairn
hunger of the howlpack
strangleroot geist

Also four township seems like too much, especially for a three-color deck
>>
>>47073827
>>47073780

On second thought, you could run 2 mayor easily, the card is value.
2-4 dromokas, maybe run 2 since w/o creatures on the board it has little value.
2 Ajani seems best, 4 cmc is slow and doubles are bad. Maybe even 1 and a newNissa, since 2 ajanis in hand might feel bad.

I would experiment with Avatar of the resolute, maybe as a 1 of, but he isn't human and might be win-more. That said he is a base 3/2 for 2 in zoo, with goodies (trample and reach. and maybe huge counters) if flinthoof boar can make the cut then this guy can too.

2 gavony is where you wanna be, don't muddle your mana too much for it

Also, tireless tracker is a fucking beast, you really have to play him to see his power.
>>
As long as we're posting Modern decklists:

3 Adarkar Wastes
4 Boomerang
4 Cryptic Command
3 Curse of Exhaustion
2 Day's Undoing
4 Ebony Owl Netsuke
4 Eye of Nowhere
3 Fevered Visions
4 Flooded Strand
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Howling Mine
4 Island
4 Remand
2 Runeflare Trap
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Silence
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Steam Vents

Sideboard:

4 Dawn Charm
4 Hurkyl's Recall
3 Rest in Peace
4 Supreme Verdict

Basic idea is to make the opponent draw a ton, bounce their lands and counter their spells, and make them die to Ebony Owl Netsuke and Fevered Visions, with Runeflare Trap as backup.
>>
>>47074163
Looks fun, might lose to burn with so much bounce & not much permanent removal
>>
>>47072175
Reprints? This isn't yugioh.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
34 KB, 223x310
Is it possible to be good in Modern with mono red burn?

Best fakes maker? I'm not paying that much for fetches or goblin guide.
>>
>>47074471
Then just go away
>>
>>47074471
Modern is a rich people's club. So get out poorfag.
>>
>>47072175
That lil guy's adorable.
That is all.
>>
>>47074471

I'm gonna be honest, no.

Strict red burn is hated out easily with Leyline of Sanctity and various other common sideboard cards. Burn needs to have a creature base to get there in Modern.
>>
>>47074579
Who runs Leyline besides Ad Nauseam again?
>>
>>47074600
Sideboard it in bw tokens.
>>
>>47074579
Oh. Then no modern for me. Thanks!
>>
>>47074645
Run that goblin that does 2 damage to everyone when you cast a spell. Leyline won't stop it.
>>
>>47074517
Every format is a rich man's format except Pauper.

And the pauper generals I make get to 3 posts and die. No one cares.
>>
>>47074657
That would be goblin guide. 57 bucks a pop.
>>
>>47074127
Maybe Adaptive Automaton? At least considering it because it's a built in lord.
>>
>>47074712
nigga that's guttersnipe you dumbass motherfucker
>>
>>47074712
No. He's talking Guttersnipe you idiot. It's like 50 cents at most.
>>
File: arcana319_fullArt.jpg (166 KB, 620x498) Image search: [Google]
arcana319_fullArt.jpg
166 KB, 620x498
Thoughts on this sub 300 dollar Goblins deck going 5-0?

Might build it since Naya Burn isn't fun looking at all and is expensive.
>>
>>47074807
Looks great anon.
>>
>>47074471
dont listen to them anon. you wont win a grand prix but you can build a mono red burn deck and win some games at your fnm. the only card that burn cant beat is leyline of sanctity and only some decks run it in the sideboard. and even if they cast it you can include creatures like monastery swiftspear, hellspark elemental, and keldon marauders so that you dont totally fold to it.

this is a good build of it

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-67-13-tix-modern-mono-red-burn
>>
>>47074823
Fuck.
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/409810#paper
>>
>>47074935
That deck is shit and he shouldn't bother.
>>
File: Lol.webm (591 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Lol.webm
591 KB, 480x270
>>47074959
No worries, it happens.
>>
>>47074973
its not tier 1 or 2 but it can definitely win some games. stop being a pooper senpai
>>
>>47075068
Why waste your money so you can waste your time and go 0-3 drop?
>>
>>47072832
>>47072630
Stop posting
>>
>>47075068
>>47074935

You'll get sick of this after 4 or 5 games. If you wanna play budget, play pauper.
>>
>>47074712
you can get a goblin guide for 30 dollars
>>
>>47074471
play boros burn with battlefield forges and whichever cheap red white dual you can find

you get access to boros charm, lightning helix, enchantment hate with wear//tear, kor firewalker if you're confident you can get double white, it's all good shit and doesn't increase the price drastically.
>>
>>47072175
Reprints? For modern?
You realize you're living in a format of mismatched mistakes, no?
>>
>>47073342
>12-14 creatures
you need 14, no more no less for some reason it just works
>18-20 land
i've dipped down to 17 including a one of wandering fumarole and it works fine
>>
>>47075245
Holy shit what a deal.
>>
>>47074471

No. If you want mono-red, play Legacy. Burn in Legacy It's also true Burn and not a strain of Naya Zoo.
>>
>>47075272
I think splashing green is stupid anyways. I'll make a mostly red boros burn deck whenever I can afford all those fucking lands and all those fucking Goblin Guides and Eidloin of the great revel.

Fucking modern. I have a pauper burn, which is a start, but 99% of the cost are the lands and the guides.
>>
>>47074712
>>47075245
>>47075435

plebs
you can get a Goblin Guide for €20 in Europe
>>
>>47075448
Uh... modern Naya Burn IS Burn in Legacy. Go look at the top decks. Direct copies of Modern Naya Burn.
>>
>>47075470

Not really. Some of them might play two colors but full on Naya isn't common. And it doesn't need to be because Legacy Burn has access to a lot of cool toys like Fireblast, Sulfuric Vortex and Price of Progress that make it work. Some people don't even use Goblin Guide, they just shove more burn in there.
>>
>>47075459
No green use this and take out the green lands and replace with mountains. Take out the green cards (artifacts will fuck you and I don't know another card for artifact removal)

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Boros Charm
2 Deflecting Palm
4 Destructive Revelry
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Goblin Guide
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
1 Molten Rain
4 Monastery Swiftspear
5 Mountain
1 Path to Exile
1 Pillar of Flame
4 Rift Bolt
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
1 Stomping Ground
4 Tormod's Crypt
1 Wear
2 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
>>
>>47075503
Finding legacy players though lol.
>>
Why are we arguing over what is the "best" Burn deck. The deck is about redundancy and maximum efficiency. There is no perfectly consistent deck in Magic but Burn and it's variants come as close as you can get. One is obviously better than the other in one matchup but weaker than the other in another.

They're all the fucking same. Who cares if one plays Green and one doesn't. Or one uses Sulfuric Vortex in the main while another uses it in the side.

Burn is a full playset each of around 20 cards. You pick 9 and 4 for the sideboard depending on personal preference or metagame and just run with it. There's no wrong way to build the deck so long as you adhere to it's basic principle of racing harder on a turn-based clock than any other deck in the game.
>>
>>47075583
>artifacts will fuck you and I don't know another card for artifact removal
Ingot chewer
Shatterstorm
Smash to Smithereens
New Nahiri :^)
>>
>>47075657

Because it's actual discussion instead of mindless shitposting about gay lumberjacks. And it really isn't different from the discussion about most of the decks in the format, the only difference being that it's about burn spells instead of value creatures.
>>
>>47075684
Forgot about smash to smithereens.

I'll aim for this deck, maybe find some other lands. What would be a good replacement for Goblin Guide? Think the new fakes would fool my local TGS?

Hopefully splashing white will make it better, the only green cards I'll miss is the questionable Wold Nactylcclallcl and A. Command.

I wonder why Boros Burn isn't a thing.
>>
>>47075718
>Think the new fakes would fool my local TGS?
A lot of it depends on whether or not you're on good terms with the people there. If you're friendly and don't draw attention to the fact that you're running fakes, there's a good chance nobody will care. Even if the owner knows about it, if he's your friend there's a good chance he'll just wave it off as "I never bothered checking his cards so I didn't know he was using counterfeits" if anyone asks.

The same could be said about most fakes throughout MTG history. Unless they're really shitty fakes that are dead obvious, most people aren't going to be checking every single person they play against. How you carry yourself matters a lot more. So basically don't go bitching about how much modern costs one week, then show up next week with 1200 dollars worth of cards and pretend like you pulled that money out of your ass somehow.
>>
>>47075717
But it's not actual discussion. One guy is saying he doesn't like Green, another guy is saying things like "if you can get double white to play Kor Firewalker", and someone else is just shitting on the Modern variant and claiming Legacy is better and someone points out that the Legacy version is more or less the Modern version.

Of all the decks in this entire game that people bitch and moan about regarding value, Burn is the one deck that is so fucking good no matter how "badly" you build it that there's no reason to shit on someone else's opinion on how to play or build the deck.

Look, I don't care, I'm just pointing out that the deck is more about about personal preferences at this point because we're more or less reached peak efficiency as far as cards go. If you want to Nacatl someone go for it; if you don't, that's fine too. If you're poor and just want to substitute Incinerate or Flames of the Blood Hand there's nothing wrong with that either. I played 4-color Burn when Treasure Cruise was legal, there was Rakdos Charm and Geist of Saint Traft in the sideboard; Bump in the Night in the main. I didn't care that I lost efficiency points against "legitimate" burn decks by fetching myself lower than Jund, it was just fun playing a board of silver bullets.
>>
>>47075857
>"if you can get double white to play Kor Firewalker"
i said to play boros burn and that it gives you a wide variety of cards including kor firewalker, which would obviously be a sideboard card in the mirror.
>>
File: 635611295667930942.png (197 KB, 318x445) Image search: [Google]
635611295667930942.png
197 KB, 318x445
>>47075718
>I wonder why Boros Burn isn't a thing.
because atarkas command is the only card that allows burn to win on turn 3
>>
>>47075245
>>47075464
With a time machine you could get him for a buck.
>>
>>47075464
so...30 dollars?
>>
>>47075885
My beef with your statement about Firewalker is the "if you can get double white" part. Of course you can get double white. Anybody can get double white; the deck can run 12 or more fetches and all the Sacred Foundries it wants. The statement is meaningless.

A statement that matters is explaining whether the player wants to risk burning themselves down to fetch shocks to play Firewalker on time because it just might kill them against the deck they want to bring Firewalker in against, namely the burn mirror. Or consider you might not cast Firewalker on time, which renders it worse than a more pro-active card. Or post any number of other reasons or risks to play the card.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just saying that you didn't give any reasons to backup your suggestions especially when the person you're responding to sounds really fucking poor and won't be able afford to the land base to effectively play Kor Firewalker even if they wanted to. They're certainly not going to have the confidence.
>>
>>47075900
I never really noticed, but this card is 100% broken.
>>
>>47076073
Yeah the "and reach" part threw me off when I was reading the DTK spoilers, I didn't realize until a bit later how much reach it gives aggro decks.
>>
>>47076116
explain
>>
>>47076147
it's a pun anon

saying a burn deck has reach means that the deck has the ability to finish off the opponent, typically when the board starts to stabilize and burn is stalling, getting one last lightning bolt or boros charm off for that last bit of damage is "reach"
>>
>>47076158
god damn it
>>
>>47076059

See, now you're discussing burn too.

;^)
>>
>>47075503
>>47075470
Playing more than 1 color is a mistake in burn. Being immune to wasteland is more important than having access to cards which are the same as cards you have in monored. Why run boros charm when you can run price of progress and flame rift?

Also being able to play 4 barbarian rings is tech.
>>
File: 1459560893276.png (336 KB, 477x719) Image search: [Google]
1459560893276.png
336 KB, 477x719
>>47075900

That sensation when your guide gets pathed early and you have 4 land on turn 3.
>>
>>47076210
>price of progress
>modern

Anon, I...want it to be legal because it would be a massive deterrent to greedy manabases and would be a huge step towards eventually reducing the price of modern, solely for the lands

However that said it would make burn an instant tier 0 deck and Wizards won't reprint it anyways
>>
>>47076238
I was talking about legacy. Modern "burn" is just Spell Zoo.

If they want to punish greedy mana, giving turbo moon more support would work.
>>
>>47074600
Every deck with white in it?
>>
>>47076284
No? UWx control doesn't run it, Junk doesn't run it, CoCo variants don't run it, 5color Scapeshift doesn't run it, D&T/Hatebears doesn't run it, Soul Sisters doesn't run it. Only "deck" I can come up with on the spot that plays it is Enchantment Prison, which sucks ass.
>>47074608
Tier 100 but ok.
>>
>>47076282
I agree. There is no current Burn in tier 1, 2, or 3. It's zoo with some burn spells.
>>
>>47072175
>Do you think Abzan Company has a ban in its future?
Lol what? What for?
>>
>>47072175
>ban chord
it costs a fuckton of mana or requires heavy investment to board. chord is fine. collected company, on the other hand, is 6 mana across two bodies for 4 mana at instant speed. that card would be the ban target if anything.

that being said i don't play melira chord, but i'd probably sell out of the format if they continued that 'ban every deck that does well' meme
>>
>>47076221
Leave
>>
File: 1460529303005.jpg (32 KB, 524x687) Image search: [Google]
1460529303005.jpg
32 KB, 524x687
>>47077328

No.
>>
>>47072637
Trash
>>
>SotM will never be below $10 again
>>
>>47077035
Annual rotation ("ban updates") demands victims after bloom, twin, pod and eldrazi. It has turn 3 nut draws with one coco hitting combo pieces a and b while still being a good value midrange deck without going off.
>>
>>47077889

If they really want to shake up the format, they can just ban Tarmogoyf. They can even use the same bullshit excuse they did for Nacatl since it's pretty much an auto-include in almost every deck with green.
>>
Should I feel bad I'm thinking about using fakes in my deck for fetch lands.

Why isn't Burn a thing in modern? Naya Burn isn't a burn deck.
>>
>>47078095
Nacatl isn't banned retard.
>>
>>47078120

But it was, retard.
>>
>>47078204
But it's not, dingbat.
>>
>>47078307

That's not relevant, are you incapable of reading? The point is that they can use the excuse they used when they banned Nacatl to ban Tarmogoyf now.
>>
2nd time in a row this cheap Goblins deck has gone 5-0. You still deny it's a tier one deck?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/409810#paper
>>
>>47078360
I go 5-0 regularly with Soul Sisters. That doesn't make the deck tier 1. It makes my lgs casual/non competitive.
>>
So I bought some Arcbound Ravagers about one or two years ago, and now I see they have risen in prise with more than 100%. And the rise seemed to happen in a plateau kind of way during the release of Magic Origins. Why is this?

My best guess is because of Hangbarback Walker since the cards are similar, but even so they don't seem to get played together other than in Vintage. Even so the Ravager price seems to be rising anyway. Is it just jew speculation? Or did Affinity decks just spike in popularity?

Not that I'm looking to sell, I'm just curious. Because the composition of Affinity decks don't seem to have changed at all post-origins, yet the price of the Ravager skyrocketed.
>>
File: rav.png (21 KB, 518x251) Image search: [Google]
rav.png
21 KB, 518x251
>>47078406
Graph from tcgplayer showcasing said price change. It was almost instant
>>
File: 1460711484831.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460711484831.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
Are there any format staples that play her? I've got most of the big stuff to slip in from edh but it seems awfully slow.
>>
>>47078406
Not reprinted in MM2. It was the perfect spec.
>>
>>47078487
wrong thread
>>
>>47078515
sorry lads
>>
Anyone /adnauseam/ here? I just bought the last pieces of the deck to have another combo option in my modern roster but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.
>>
>>47078725
There's something hella fun about flipping over your deck and saying "kill you?"

Enjoy it fampai
>>
>>47075470
>modern Naya Burn IS Burn in Legacy
No, it isn't. What top decks are you looking at? I just looked up a dozen Legacy Burn lists from the past month, and all of them were mono-red.
>>
>>47079040
The main thing in trying to figure out now is whether or not to play spoils of the vault. I love the card but I feel like the first time it kills me when I could have won easily otherwise, I'll tilt like a mofo.
>>
>>47078496
Nope. CMC is too high. bit i love the art
>>
What's the best shell for dank-dwellers? I've seen it in grixis lists, jund value lists, blue moon lists, gruul stone rain lists.

What is the best home for it if you just really like casting dank-dwellers?
>>
>>47079557
Always play spoils. Think of it this way, the only way it kills you when you might have had a win is if you flip wincon wincon ad nauseam in that order. The likelihood of that is astronomically low, I think a royal flush is more likely. Otherwise, you lose with it by flipping over 20 cards and exiling too many lands/wincons to win. But you weren't going to win that game anyway, Ad Nauseam wasn't in the first 30 cards of your deck you were boned from the start. Peer through the depths wouldn't have helped you either.

Always play spoils. And run a split of lab maniac/lightning storm in the main, it gives you more outs and lab maniac is a combo with spoils by itself which can catch people off guard sometimes.
>>
>>47079918
Dank dwellers is just a value card. Each build obviously does something different so go with which you prefer like, by playing legacy and running the 3 mana goblin-dark dwellers, a la Shardless agent
>>
>>47079993
Ad naus players, a guy at my shop says that slaughter games for ad nauseam isn't game over for him and he can come back. How? I haven't had the chance to do it to him but I don't see how he can recover from it without wishes to grab another ad nauseam from the side or something
>>
>>47072950
Look to the unleash from RTR. I made a shitbrew a while ago with unleash and hardened scales
>>
>>47076378
Anon, sideboards
>>
>>47079918
I've seen it used to abuse split cards like Boom/Bust or Breaking/Entering. Probably the best thing you could use them for desu.
>>
>>47080039
If he plays lab man main, he can cast lab man, pray it survives a turn, then in his upkeep cast angels grace and spoils naming a card that isn't in his deck, and win in his drawstep. There are no modern wishes that can grab ad naus.
>>
>>47080296
Well if lab man + spoils is his way out I suppose it's worth staying in a game 3 after slaughter games instead of packing it up.
>>
>>47079557
>>47078725

If you want to meme it up, you can try shoving Thing in the Ice in there. Some guy at one of the stores I go to has been seeing some success with it. If it flips, good. If it doesn't, proceed with the combo. Though since I don't play Ad Nauseam myself, I don't know if it's actually worth it.
>>
>>47077889
Isn't the modern pro tour kill now?
>>
>>47080841
So?
>>
>>47077889
There was an article on CFB today or yesterday literally titled "is CoCo the new Twin" or something. Goes into detail on the similarities between the old Twin decks and the Abzan CoCo decks and how they both have 2 very strong game plans that attack from different angles.

CoCo will probably get banned eventually, that or Finks since that would stop the combo and the value stuff, unless there's some other persist card that also works with that combo. Can't ban Melira AND Anafenza since that would be retarded.
>>
>>47080855
So they don't have to shake things up because nobody will notice if the same decks are being played
>>
>>47081049
Pro tour isn't the only kind of big tournament
>>
If I target viscera seer with magma jet and my opponent sacs it to scry 1, do I still get my scry 2?
>>
>>47081073
It's the only one that receives official coverage from Wotc and therefore the only one they care about.
>>
>>47081083
No. Your spell is countered because no target.
>>
>>47081083
No, spells without legal targets upon resolution fizzle and do nothing.
>>
>>47081105
>>47081116
Okay thanks. I wasn't certain if the Scry was separate from the target part
>>
>>47080965
If coco gets banned, the deck will likely switch more towards chord of calling, which has the added benefit of being able to get up Murderous Redcap, which just ends the game instantly entirely, while infinite life via finks still requires you to have a win condition, and can lose to other decks (kiki's infinite damage trumps finks' infinite life and mill decks, for example)
>>
>>47081135
I thought the deck already ran chord
>>
>>47081164
Oh maybe, but it'll possibly try to synergize with the convoke more by adding in more cheap creatures or token generators. Maybe throw in thopter sword because why not :^)
>>
>>47077666
Hail satan
>>
>>47081164
it does, usually 4 CoCo and 4 Chord

>>47081135
True but in that case there's really no winning for Wizzards, if they want to stop the deck they need to ban multiple cards.. Either both CoCo and Chord need to go, or both Finks and Redcap, or both Melira and Anafenza...
>>
>>47081091
There's this little event called the World Championship.
>>
>>47081232
Lol and that's centered on modern?
>>
>>47081267
Reading their announcement, it didn't seem to me that Modern was out of the question for the WC.

Also, I'd say GPs and SCG Opens attract a lot of viewers, even if it's not the pro tour. I mean, there will still be adjustments made, they make adjustments to things like Pauper even if it's only really played online.
>>
What is the best control deck in modern?
>>
File: gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png (16 KB, 170x200) Image search: [Google]
gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png
16 KB, 170x200
>>47081530
Burn
>>
>>47081530
UWR
>>
File: opinion discarded.jpg (166 KB, 797x796) Image search: [Google]
opinion discarded.jpg
166 KB, 797x796
>I prefer pauper
>I prefer commander
>modern is dead
>>
>>47081644
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>47081704
The reasonable portion of the player base.
>>
>>47081530
Skred, although I prefer to play a midrange version
>>
>>47081841
Normally I'd belittle your deck but guy at my store has been playing it and it's incredibly strong as long as you don't face off storm or ad nauseum.

Storm seems easy to deal with by bringing Eidolon though
>>
File: Esper Charm_ALA.jpg (47 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Esper Charm_ALA.jpg
47 KB, 312x445
>>47081530
Esper
>>
>>47078103
All the non-creature spells in Modern suck. There aren't enough burn spells basically.
>>
>>47081978
Esper is stupid. No reason to play that colour combination outside of that charm. The charm doesn't warrant the entire deck
>>
>>47082315
>No reason to play that colour combination outside of that charm
Adnausem.dec would like a word with you
>fucko
>>
>>47076059
in my burn deck i will generally be stuck to 3-4 lands, and while i consistently get 1 of each shock I will not always get 2 sacred foundrys unless it goes later into the game.

I also only run 8 fetches though.
>>
>>47082894
To be fair the deck is pretty shit and slow and won't get any better now that control is on the rise.
>>
>>47082930
>won't get any better now that control is on the rise.
Ad Naus has a good matchup against control, generally they bosiju for win, also they'll just start running remand and win that way.
>>
File: 1461271501251.gif (953 KB, 450x465) Image search: [Google]
1461271501251.gif
953 KB, 450x465
>>47082894
>Ad memeam
>good
xD
>>
>>47082955
>>good
okay faggot, I never said good, I just said there is a deck that runs those colours for something other than the charms.
I stomp ad naus, but it exists.
>>
>>47082894
Lol can you not follow a reply chain?

Also that deck is mediocre
>>
File: 1328295584821.jpg (48 KB, 288x471) Image search: [Google]
1328295584821.jpg
48 KB, 288x471
>>47072637
>sword of body and mind
>protection from giant growth and unsummon
>>
>>47081841
Lista por favor
>>
>>47082955
>i posted an anime reaction image
>my opinion now has value, r-right g-guys?
>>
>>47083335
I just like the 2/2. That token has won me a few games where I could have died on the backswing if it didn't make a blocker. But really, it's the best equipment I've got. What else am I going to put in there? Bonesaw?
>>
>>47072718
Not many people playing tron after eye was banned.
>>
>>47072718
>not selling tron and getting into legacy
>>
So this guy at my LGS left his deckbox behind. He plays modern, so you know there was money in there. He's a huge prick that no one really likes, but I'm not a thief, so when no one else but the storeowner was around I gave it to a kid that was playing with his father in the kitchen table zone.

Did I do good?
>>
>>47083789
Yea bro totally. You're like modern day Robin Hood!

Kys
>>
>>47083848
Didn't do it for the kid, did it to fuck the other guy over
>>
>>47083789
> I'm not a thief
> proceeds to steal
I mean I would have just stolen and kept it, but you should just be yourself man ;^)
>>
>>47083870
You're a thief.
However, I am also a thief, so I approve.
>>
>>47083900
Got my own deck, why should I have kept it? :^O
>>
>>47083909
Now that I think about it,maybe I am a thief
>>
>>47083789
I would say yes but what you've done is create the possibility that the kid will be blamed for filtching that picks deck. Or that you might be fingered if they are approached about it.
>>
>>47083963
>maybe I am a thief
Holy shit, you're an autist
>>
>>47083870
Petty
>>
>>47083972

The kid is not a usual customer, but you're right
>>
>>47076032
It was for heavily/moderatly played, look at that pic again. in eu you can get nm/ex for that.
>>
>>47084003
Can we go to therapy together, then?
>>
>>47084058
>Can we go to therapy together, then?
Already in it friend
>>
>>47083925
Cards are worth money ;^) playing Robin Hood and stealing for profit are morally the same in this situation. So basically, you're a dumb thief ;^)
>>
>>47084159
Ok bro :^}
>>
>>47083925
Lol you only play one deck?
Lame
>>
>>47081530
UW Emeria
>>
>>47084220
That deck is contender for worst deck in modern
>>
>>47084293
Still best control in modern.
>>
>>47084220

Emeria is fun though
>>
>>47084553
I know, its my favourite deck in modern.
>>
>>47084220
Emeria is a legit deck.
>>
>>47084426
>>47084689
It's straight garbage
>>
>>47080965
>unless there's some other persist card that also works with that combo
What is "Murderous Redcap"?
>>
>>47075718
I wanna make some boros shitbrew using Boros Reckoner, Soulfire Grand Master, and aoe spells like blasphemous act, but idk how to make it fast enough
>>
>>47081530
Jund. If you're talking about blue control, Scapeshift.
>>
File: 8479055.jpg (134 KB, 433x480) Image search: [Google]
8479055.jpg
134 KB, 433x480
>>47085133
Woodfall primus
>>
>>47085258
>I'll take "Cards not played Modern" for $500, Alex.
>>
>>47083500

Literally any other of the swords, preferably Ice and Fire
>>
>>47084426
UWr is better, what are you smoking
>>
>>47085578
Holy dogshit fire and ice is $50. How about war and peace? That protects from every common removal spell in modern AFAIK
>>
Where's the cheapest place for tix?
>>
Sorry for being retarded, but are there any spoilers out there for the Eternal Masters set?
Im kinda hyped for it
>>
>>47086079
We have concrete confirmation for Force of Will (mythic) and Wasteland (rare). The rest are unverified leaks and speculation.
>>
any chances that this deck gets improved and puts good results?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-thopter-polymorph-modern

if you think about it successfully casting Polymorph for Emrakul is similar to casting Twin but less op
>>
>>47086442
It's really not, because it dies to bolt and it doesn't win the turn it's played. Also I feel like a 3/3 tho per sword split seems bad.
>>
>>47086442
I think it's a cute combination of a poly package and a thoptersword package, but no more powerful than a deck dedicated to only one of those strategies. A cool Poly deck I saw ran secure the wastes and cards like it to slow down aggro decks and as an alternate win.

Although playing double combo decks like that is fun. Ran a human tribal deck with blade splicers and thopter engineers, I think inspector and tracker too, and 4 shape anew with a blightsteel collosus and a plat angel (maybe even a KotR + corralhelm too but I think I cut that, though he did fetch for inkmoth and was a general badass)
With 4 cocos you can play fair magic, with blue for counterspells in the sb. felt like big zoo with a combo kill.
>>
>>47086734
You ran a 4 color tribal human deck?
>>
File: 1456707695234.png (296 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
1456707695234.png
296 KB, 600x510
>>47086127
Dear god I hope I get my hands on a FoW
>>
>>47087064
I got my plast of force of wills for less than my player of verdant catacombs. Force is so cheap right now, like 60 fucking dollars easy. Also anyone who prefers the new art sucks cock
>>
>>47085192
You could run a prowess package w/ boardwipes, 4tswift 4lifelinkmonk 4soulfire, then pyroclasms or whipflare, rough//tumble.
4 boros rek'ner (and 4 hornet nest), maybe a single harvest pyre or a crushing pain. Boros charm seems like cool tech, lightning helix with soulfire is great, and you could just whip bolts at them as a backup plan to the blasphemy combo. you could also run more bolts/shocks or red removal (roast, rending volley), maybe some more burn, or splash green for mana weenies. white also gives you wall of omens, which mbc is a heavy pyroclasm deck (green gives you wall of roots or elvish visionary)

volcano hellion and spitemare are janky but neat, chain reaction and forbidden orchard are nice. Aether vials are a waste imo.
>>
>>47086792
Cavern of souls op. it may have had noble heirachs too so it was mostly hit green then hit a coco or do some whacky fetching. All the stuff is pretty splashable too, mostly 2W/G/R
>>
>>47087185
It's probably going to get more expensive after the reprint too
>>
So my local meta is filled with grixis jeskai jund and a little bit of abzan. What's the best deck to play against these decks? I'm running infect for a while now.
>>
File: Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.png (117 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.png
117 KB, 223x311
>>47088673
Tron

No joke, if that's all your meta, you win.
>>
>>47083789
It doesn't matter if you don't like someone, it's not your shit to give away.

like the other anon said, please end your life.
>>
>>47083789
You are a fucking idiot
>>
>>47085192
my buddy plays the deck, it's pretty good.

he runs koth the hammer, volcanic fallout, lightning bolt, lightning helix, the cards you stated (disregarding blasphemous act), and i'm not sure what other spells he ran.

It's competitive though so don't be apprehensive about building it.
>>
>>47088891
>>47085192
OH! Ajani vengeant as well.
>>
Why on earth would anything from Abzan Co get banned?

>jumping on the banned wagon this quickly
Modern is constantly evolving based on shifts in meta.
>>
>>47088966
Right away? Nah, Collected Company is fine.

Medium-Long term is very possible though.
>>
>>47088966
Twin was popular, and wasn't broken.
Abzan Coco is popular, and isn't broken.
The writing is on the wall.
>>
>>47088740
RG tron or gifts unburial rites?
>>
>>47088966
i think all infinite combos should be banned.

decks in magic should be fair
>>
>>47089070
Kithkin
>>
File: image.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
image.png
306 KB, 593x540
Does anyone have that Tribal Spirits /tg/ cooked up?

Topplegeist is the cutest card and I need to play
>>
File: 1459487704451.png (217 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
1459487704451.png
217 KB, 700x400
Spending 1k on a deck of cards
>>
>>47089124
Leave
>>
Death rite shaman unban when?
>>
>>47089211
When Jund stops being good.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 749x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 749x512
>>47089155
PLEASE
>>
>>47089051
Twin was kind of broken. A two card auto win combo is downright stupid. Specially when your deck operates at instant speed and all the other cards you have in your deck are control ones.

>but muh interaction

Seriously, not being able to advance your game plan on TURN 3 because of fear of LOSING is ridiculous.
>>
>>47089155
There are no good spirits besides geist and rattlechains anon
>>
>>47089367
i can say the exact same thing about melira chord
>>
>>47089367
Honestly twin is borderline okay as long as it's not to make infinite bullshit. Twin on goyf? Sure. Twin on snaps? Fine. Twin on angel/exarch? Real stupid
>>
>>47089367
This guy is entirely right. Twin was a stupid deck because you would put it into any U/R shell, whether it was grixis control, delver, or just plain U/R beats. If you had it in your deck, the opponent could never tap out without knowing exactly what was in your hand beforehand. Don't have that path or dismember in hand? Too bad you just fucking lost, gg get good.

But really, it's more that modern is a busted format and it's getting more and more apparent. It's a bunch of overloaded creature decks where the creatures come with free spells tacked on, a couple of instant win combo decks, and burn/variants. Twin was stupid, summer bloom was stupid, eldrazi failed at the task of destroying modern once and for all.

No amount of bannings will fix modern unless Wizards actually starts reprinting alternative archetypes again. Make artifacts useful outside of affinity, make enchantments that do unique tasks a thing again, make control playable. Fucking anything. As it is, it's just "jam a bunch of two card combos in your deck and everything else is just 3 or 4 color goodstuff". Even if the current melira/anafenza combo gets banned, something else will just take its place. Maybe the infinite combo deck in standard will just be ported over to modern, involving zulaport cutthroat, eldrazi displacer, and brood monitor. Except you'd just tack on modern staples and it'll get even better, while remaining a "four color goodstuff" deck that has the ability to just instantly combo you out.

>>47089496
Twin is fucking unplayable unless it abuses ETB triggers, though. Infinite creatures is just the most powerful, immediate choice.
>>
>>47089439
Lingering Souls
Check and Mate, Atheist
>>
>>47089466
No you fucking cant because your opponent needs THREE permanents to activate the combo and coco is not guaranteed to hit any of the pieces when it resolves.
>>
>>47089535
Yeah, and the spirits lord and aether vial because tribal aggro. You only need another 24 cards to finish it!

>>47089532
exactly. It reached a point where people would put some pieces of the splinter twin combo in any u/rx shell because it is that good.
>>
>>47089559
Chord guarantees the piece of your choice. Not even Twin had anything analogous to it.
>>
>>47089677
Again, you need 2 permanents on the table before you can combo off which means that you spent more time casting them and made you vulnerable to your opponent being capable to remove any of them. With splinter twin you only needed one card on the table which could be flashed in at the end of your opponents turn. Same thing hey?
>>
>>47089496
>Twin on angel
angel can't blink angel-type creatures and even if it could blink itself the enchantment would fall off.

that being said i HAVE enchanted resto with twin before, to generate value flickering wall of omens every turn while i try to dig out a kiki or bell ringer.
>>
>>47089712
collected company is essentially dig-through-time-but-better for that deck.
>>
>>47089891
It is. But in all honesty I have nothing against seeing DTT get unbanned. Blue needs some power and Ancestral Visions is not good in a format without cascade.
>>
>>47082315
Most esper lists do only run the charm, I'm not the anon you were replying to, but I run Obzedat and Whip of Erebos as a nice meme tier win condition because midrange and aggro is all my fnm plays, so I like being able to wipe, play whip, white suns/colonnade/obzedat and begin gaining more life than they can deal with.
At least that's the plan. I really just run my esper list for fun more than anything.
>>
>>47089155
found this

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dont-touch-my-spirits-turn-5-win/

that enchantment tutor looks interesting. add geist, and maybe vial, remove the shitty enchantments and you could have something
>>
>>47089978
>DTT unbanned
>when scape shift is already pushing tier 1
Nah fag, just nah
>>
>>47083789
no lol
>>
>>47090043
>being afraid of scapeshift

get a job and buy a sideboard faggot. scapeshift isnt even that good.
>>
I entered the thread with a dream and fun in mind to start MTG Modern for my first go into MTG.

Now I just want to kill myself.
Thanks guys. I literally never want to play this game again.
>>
>>47090425
And dont come back fag
>>
>>47089070
GR Tron

Consider adding World Breaker btw, it's very good.
>>
Is there a competent r/g eldrazi list left? I want to chain world breakers into returns
>>
>>47090425
Modern shouldn't be your first go. Try Standard or Casual Magic.
>>
File: Emerica.jpg (528 KB, 1809x844) Image search: [Google]
Emerica.jpg
528 KB, 1809x844
every thread until you like it
>>
How would you guys go about aging a bunch of beta proxy cards to make them look like they're not brand new proxy cards?
Aside from vigorous shuffling.
>>
>>47090718
Why the Emmy? Protection from Mill? An actual target for Nahiri?
>>
>>47090425
Join us in Pauper, it's a blast there, you don't have people ramming down on you for not streamlining your netdeck to the most efficient build, and you don't have nerds railing on you for netdecking. And decks can't be more expensive than 60 bucks. Usually.
>>
Jesus Christ, how are so many people still assblasted about twin? The deck did nothing wrong, yet people here can't give it up.
>>
>>47090897
Because Modern players don't understand how to evaluate game states against combo decks
>>
>>47090897
>being a butthurt twinfag
>>
>>47091158
Nice try, play jund, my deck got not as good after twin disappeared.

Also people hate johnnies that much?
>>
>>47091158
>Wishing a deck wasn't there because you're bad and don't have game against it.
Stop playing real formats if you can't deal with this.
>>
>>47090781
>An actual target for Nahiri?
this
>>
>>47074668
Start making casual threads then, I post in those when I see them. I don't post in Pauper threads because Pauper is a shit format that I've only ever seen people literally on welfare playing.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.