[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 22
File: op.png (387 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
op.png
387 KB, 1000x1000
>Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.

I hate how this single quote sums up 40k's "muh grimdeeeerr" shit. It's just a tryhard version of a LotR quote

>Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes

What are some other cringey bits of 40k fluff?
>>
The entire fluff of 40k is cringey if you take it seriously. It's a hodgepodge trashheap of 70s and 80s fiction and british culture. You are supposed to look and laugh at the stunning stupidity and the insane to-the-point-of-being-funny grimness of the setting.
The tag line is IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR for fuck's sake.
>>
>>47061770
Is that still the case though? A lot of the people here into 40k fluff seem to take it very seriously
>>
>>47061937
Its pretty easy to tell, just ask their opinion on Orks.

My favorite goofy part of 40k lore is the Dark Angels "dark secret". Ostensibly that part of their chapter rebelled during the heresy. But given their Primarch's name, jokingly implied that they are closet sodomites.
>>
>>47061591

The Emperor, when searching for the primarches, found one of them who had been captured and turned into a battle slave, with 'butcher's nails' driven into his skull that could not be removed and which drove him to constant bloodthirst and frenzy beyond reason.

The Emperor gave this man control of a legion of space marine, knowing that due to how gene-seed works that the personality and traits of the primarch would imprint on every space marine in that army. Because he couldn't just write off the primarch as a lost cause.

"Welp, too late to save this one. He is clearly batshit insane. Also, he hates me for personal reasons. Though, I DID just bring an entire army fo space marines all this way. It would be a shame to let them go to waste. Sure, kid, take this army that can conquer whole sectors of space unassisted. I'm sure the fact that I have just given power to a rageoholic lunatic that hates me could never backfire on me in any way. I am, in fact, SO SURE of this that I wont look into the future with my psychic powers to double check."

40k lore is the sort of thing that sounds cool when it is just 2 sentences in a blurb, but gets infinitely stupid upon any expanded telling.
>>
>>47061591
And the original quote makes sense - LOTR elves have seen so much that they know of a counterexample to every piece of advice they could give, and as a result they're very reluctant to offer any. We see examples of this. We don't see the 40K version in action because it's meaningless.
>>
>>47061937
>Is that still the case though?

Not really. Part of the reason I stopped playing was when GW started to take their bullshit seriously.
>>
>>47062005
Here's a thought, it's both possible to take 40k seriously and enjoy silly stuff like Orks.
>>
>>47062048
I'm not the one who suggested its a joke, I don't think it is at all. Its just filled with black comedy. I can't get into settings that are zany.
>>
>>47062027

40k's Eldar are literally too stupid to live anyway. For a group that prides itself on being able to see the future, that ability has managed to benefit them roughly 0 times when it actually mattered.

The craftworlds cannot even get along with each other, and are too stupidly prideful FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN BECAUSE THE SETTING SAYS THEY HAVE TO BE to work with other races.

All they have to be is open and honest, and they could maybe get a working relationship with the Imperium against Chaos, the Necrons, and the various other galactic threats. The Imperium is naturally xenophobic anyway, but the Eldar are not doing them any favors by being too cryptic to be useful and then backstabbing at the soonest opportunity.

Shit, the Eldar allying up with the Tau would be of immeasurable benefit to both sides, but the Eldar are too busy bemoaning how doomed they are to do anything about it.
>>
File: Venom Snake grey.jpg (93 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Venom Snake grey.jpg
93 KB, 1024x1024
40k is a lot like Metal Gear Solid in one way: It can be taken seriously at certain times, and it can even provoke thought at rare times, but it also isn't afraid to goof around and not take itself seriously.

I would guess that most 40k enthusiasts are the type of people who would enjoy MGS (and vice versa), if they were only given a chance to indulge themselves in both franchises.
>>
>>47062116
>that ability has managed to benefit them roughly 0 times when it actually mattered

I think you're missing the point somewhat. The reason the Eldar exist at all is because they've been able to avoid the worst outcomes with prescience; It's just that the 40k setting is such a joke of a crapsack universe that even after all the shit the Eldar have dealt with, this is still the best of all possible worlds for the Eldar.
>>
>>47061937
Yeah,they definitely changed direction around 3rd 4th edition
>>47062005
Would you please expand on that? I don't get it
>>
>>47062237
People who take GRIMDARKNESS 100% straight don't like Orks.
>>
>>47062011
>40k lore is the sort of thing that sounds cool when it is just 2 sentences in a blurb, but gets infinitely stupid upon any expanded telling.
/thread
>>
>>47062213
I love both, so... yeah.
>>
>>47062237
Lionel Johnson was a gay poet, whose most famous poem is "The Dark Angel".
>>
>>47062011
>40k lore is the sort of thing that sounds cool when it is just 2 sentences in a blurb, but gets infinitely stupid upon any expanded telling.

Exactly. 40k was at it's best when it was just a rough background for your armies to kill each other in.

The more stuff they publish the more shit it gets.
>>
>>47062411
DARK Angel, with thine aching lust
To rid the world of penitence:
Malicious Angel, who still dost
My soul such subtile violence!
Because of thee, no thought, no thing,
Abides for me undesecrate:
Dark Angel, ever on the wing,
Who never reachest me too late!
When music sounds, then changest thou
Its silvery to a sultry fire:
Nor will thine envious heart allow
Delight untortured by desire.
Through thee, the gracious Muses turn,
To Furies, O mine Enemy!
And all the things of beauty burn
With flames of evil ecstasy.
Because of thee, the land of dreams
Becomes a gathering place of fears:
Until tormented slumber seems
One vehemence of useless tears.
When sunlight glows upon the flowers,
Or ripples down the dancing sea:
Thou, with thy troop of passionate powers,
Beleaguerest, bewilderest, me.
Within the breath of autumn woods,
Within the winter silences:
Thy venomous spirit stirs and broods,
O Master of impieties!
The ardour of red flame is thine,
And thine the steely soul of ice:
Thou poisonest the fair design
Of nature, with unfair device.
Apples of ashes, golden bright;
Waters of bitterness, how sweet!
O banquet of a foul delight,
Prepared by thee, dark Paraclete!
Thou art the whisper in the gloom,
The hinting tone, the haunting laugh:
Thou art the adorner of my tomb,
The minstrel of mine epitaph.
I fight thee, in the Holy Name!
Yet, what thou dost, is what God saith:
Tempter! should I escape thy flame,
Thou wilt have helped my soul from Death:
The second Death, that never dies,
That cannot die, when time is dead:
Live Death, wherein the lost soul cries,
Eternally uncomforted.
Dark Angel, with thine aching lust!
Of two defeats, of two despairs:
Less dread, a change to drifting dust,
Than thine eternity of cares.
Do what thou wilt, thou shalt not so,
Dark Angel! triumph over me:
Lonely, unto the Lone I go;
Divine, to the Divinity.
-Lionel Johnson
>>
>>47061937
Yes. The problem isn't the setting, the problem is the fans of the setting.
>>
>>47062005

>Ostensibly that part of their chapter rebelled during the heresy
>Implying
>>
So, Eldar can make void shields, right? Their Exarchs use them. So why not put both those AND holofields on their spaceships? Wouldn't that make more sense than "only a 33% chance they'll find us, but the moment they do we get shredded"?
>>
File: dangel_fat_trolling_pic.jpg (349 KB, 969x1103) Image search: [Google]
dangel_fat_trolling_pic.jpg
349 KB, 969x1103
>>47062530
Time to bully proud guys
>>
>>47061937
You found the problem with 40k.
>>
>>47062439
Such a weird tie-in

Lionel Johnson converts to Catholicism and spends the rest of his life tormented about his homosexual desires.

The Dark Angels convert back to being on the Emperor's side, and spend their existence tormented about their Heretical temptation.

That would probably be really offensive to homosexuals were it not so esoterically hidden. Someone at GW in the 90s must've really hated gays.
>>
>>47062804
>Someone at GW in the 90s must've really hated gays.

Or, you know, they just thought it was an amusing allusion to something they picked up in college.
>>
>>47062213
This is true. I enjoy 40k for its larger than life characters and I love how bombastic and exaggerated it is! But I can also have moments that really hit home, such as the Eisenhorn or the Horus Heresy series. It's both stupid and ridiculous and greatly engaging.
MGS is the same, with its complex conspiracies and luicrious characters (Ocelot is like, what's, a quadruple agent?) but it can really invoke emotion when it tries. MGSV is a prime example, having a story this you fighting a giant robot and a spooky skeleton man and his skull squad, but also reflections on the nature of war, loyalty and betrayal.

You can take both seriously or comically, depending on which bits you want to concentrate on and I really do appreciate that.
>>
>>47062842

>Or, you know, they just thought it was an amusing allusion to something they picked up in college.

This. It's the same reason there's a rogue primarch named Konrad Curze.
>>
>>47062924
And what allusion is hidden in here?
>>
>>47062958
Knowing nothing about 40k or the character, off the top of my head I would say it was a reference to Joseph Conrad who wrote a book called Heart of Darkness featuring a character called Kurtz.
>>
>>47062958
You really don't get how most of 40k was built, do you?
>Hey guys
>Guys
>Wouldn't it be funny...
>Wouldn't it be funny if...
>Wouldn't it be funny if the biggest, baddest Warboss in the Galaxy were Margaret Thatcher?
>>
>>47062804
>>47062842
And/or went to Oxford, and wanted to show off their literary depth.

>>47061591
A lot of the cringiest stuff stems from 40k just not being relevant anymore. When it started in the 80s, it was basically glam rock sci-fi version of WHFB (just look at the model designs from the era). Then it pivoted to grittiness in the 90s, got big, and has rested on its laurels since. More than anything, 40k has just gotten stale. It was super novel when it came out, and it remains different enough from most of the tropey garbage coming out of Hollywood these days, but honestly sci fi needs something fresh.

Nothing is returning to first principles anymore, and everything is just a reference to something that's come before it-- generally packaged in an ever more banal exterior.
>>
>>47063000
Meant to reply to >>47062804
>>
>>47062987

This guy is correct.

They even gave him an Apocalypse Now style death.
>>
>>47063000
Margaret Thatcher? What?
>>
>>47062958
Its a reference to Joseph -Conrad-, writer of the story "Heart of Darkness," and -Kurtz-, the antagonist of the story- a British trader who goes rogue & ends up as a sort of demigod among a group of indigenous African people
>>
File: abbath.jpg (67 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
abbath.jpg
67 KB, 550x413
40k is like black metal. It's a joke that got out of hand and people started taking seriously.

Orkz are Abbath.
>>
>>47063055
Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka - Ork warlord.

Margaret Thatcher - hated British Prime Minister from the 80s.
>>
>>47062804
Exceptionally opaque jokes are my jam.
>>
>>47063128

That's a fucking stretch.
>>
>>47063162
If you're retarded sure.
>>
>>47062116
Except the Eldar know that the Humans are weak and easily corrupted. Any alliance just makes it easier for Chaos to destroy them.
>>
>>47063128
What's Thatcher in him apart from "Mag" and "Th"?
>>
>>47062883
>Enjoying MGSV
>>
>>47063162
It's really not.
>>
>>47063202
Imagine you're drunk, from London and have a mouth full of big teeth.

Now try and say Margaret Thatcher.
>>
>>47063162
Say Maguruk Thraka in a cockney accent
>>
>>47063162
Mag Uruk Thraka is pretty dang close, to be quite honest my senpai
>>
>>47063219
Okay... I got Margurt Dachur
>>
>>47063255
Not drunk enough, than.
>>
>>47063219
>>47063221
You boys are right, but I distinctly remember that Ghazghkull was rolled up on a random table. Perhaps after the fact GW noticed the similarity and decided to make him the top Warboss because of it?
>>
Pretty stupid of whoever came up with that though. Thatcher was the best PM Great Shitstain has had since Churchill, and certainly was good for GW's growth as a business.
>>
>>47063287

While I'm not a Britbonger, my understanding is Thatcher is basically the UK's Reagan. Half the political spectrum completely idolizes her, and the other half sees her name as a curse word.
>>
>>47063123
>Orkz are Abbath.
chronically drunk and trying to fuck over friends?
>>
File: 1432586675071.png (106 KB, 549x653) Image search: [Google]
1432586675071.png
106 KB, 549x653
>>47063000
kek
>>
File: Mad Mekz Road of WAAAGH.jpg (389 KB, 1910x3059) Image search: [Google]
Mad Mekz Road of WAAAGH.jpg
389 KB, 1910x3059
>>47063381
Well... kinda.
>>
>>47063030
Including the Assassin being named M'Shen

>>47063330
Pretty much - there's still a lot of animosity surrounding her at least, when she died a couple of years back "ding dong the witch is dead" reached number 2 in the charts
>>
>>47062804
The Rock is also a gay bar in Nottingham.
>>
>>47063476
>M'Shen

*tips bodyglove*
>>
>>47063507
>>47062804
sounds like one of the GW staff as gay as fuck
>>
Next step: create a chapter called "Dying Memories" based off of Lewis Carrol poems, centered on the planet Oksforth, implying they're all secretly pedophiles.
>>
File: Charles-Dodgson-014.jpg (580 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
Charles-Dodgson-014.jpg
580 KB, 2560x1536
>>47063603
>need pic of him beheading someone with a chainsword, thx
>>
>>47062011
>40k lore is the sort o thing that sounds cool when it is just 2 sentences in a blurb, but gets infinitely stupid upon any expanded telling.

This is wisdom. Though honestly, you can say the same of many settings. Doesn't Skyrim sound better if you just say that you use the power of magic words to help defeat dragons in a battle that will span time itself? Or doesn't Fallout 3 sound okay when you phrase it as that you're the vengeful son of a revolutionary scientist trying to finish his greatest creation and defeat a tyrannical organization bent on conquering innocents?
>>
>>47063635
>tfw he looks like this because he's thinking "don't get an erection imagining naked five year olds, on't get an erection imagining naked five year olds..."
>>
>>47063381
Yes
>>
>>47062213
If you mean that both franchises are completely tone-deaf and are full of plot details that are taken seriously in-story but sound embarrassingly stupid when you say them out loud, yes, this is true.
>>
>>47062005
They also changed their armour to green because their legion was broken by envy. there's loads of little tidbits in 40K lore that make it obvious it's a self mocking and punny setting.
>>
>>47063647
>You are a young prodigy, taming the almighty spirits of nature to protect mankind from those who would use those same spirits to rule the world.

>You are the immortal guiding spirit of an entire nation, nudging your people's leaders to centuries of prosperity and conquest.

>You are a hardened and handsomely-paid mercenary, fighting an implacable enemy for the ultimate prize - the most valuable mineral ever discovered.

>An ordinary man destined for greatness, you cheat death, cross the vastest desert in the known world, and fight unspeakable monstrosities to take revenge on the smug idiot who thought he could steal your birthright.

Man, you're right, all of these DO sound better!
>>
>>47063189
>>47063213
>>47063221
>>47063233

ANDY FUCKING CHAMBER THE GUY WHO CREATED THAT ORK CHARACTER SAIS THAT THE NAME WAS CREATED VIA A RANDOM NAME GENERATOR.

Stop spouting lies.
>>
>>47062027
Definitely this, it's why people who are qualified in a complex field or industry are so reluctant to give a committed answer to something before they know all the details; committing to a course of action or advice before knowing the exact situation blows up in your face.
>>
>>47063128
Hated or beloved depending on who you ask
>>
>>47063476
You're exactly right
>>
File: Truth about Ghaz.png (99 KB, 503x220) Image search: [Google]
Truth about Ghaz.png
99 KB, 503x220
>>47063809
So mad I forgot to post my picture. Picture fucking related.

When will you guys ever learn? You cling to a meme and then it snowballs for years into endless stupidity. STAAAAHP!
>>
>>47063744
I know right? Vague things sound cooler than specific things.

>You are a young hero chosen by destiny to find artifacts and powerful magics to lock away an ancient evil before it threatens the land.

>You are a disillusioned mercenary thrown into the fires of war once again to save an embattled people and change the world forever.

>A young warrior fights his way through the shattered remnants of his world only to be betrayed when old enemies would continue a feud past armageddon.
>>
>>47063912

People get really venomous about this stuff. When Nancy Reagan died, Hillary Clinton said something nice about her. Th entire internet threw a giant hissy fit and demanded she apologize.

She did
>>
>>47063809
>>47063933
You love memes, Carnac, don't you lie.
>>
>>47061937
What else do you expect from a setting that has had so many different writers? One guy writers it as a joke, another goes super serious. The main flaw with 40k fluff is that they allowed basically anyone to throw shit at it without ever bothering to impose even minimal consistency.

So you end up with a setting where the timeline contradicts itself, factions are inconsistently portrayed and where some sections of the fluff are pretty solid while others provoke brain damage upon reading.

The fanbase cherry picks what they like and ignores the rest depending on personal preference.
>>
>>47063967
Which is kinda repulsive when you think about it. Agree with Nancy Reagan or not, I don't think we have to spit on her grave.
>>
>>47063967
>I'm sorry I was sympathetic about the death of another human being

Man, people are dicks.
>>
>>47064096
Carnac is a meme.
>>
>>47064111
You don't -have- to spit on her grave, but boy it feels good, and she would probably take a "trickle down" on yours
>>
>>47061591
Of course its a tryhard version of a lotr quote, 40k elves are a tryhard version of lotr elves, they are, like, literally called 'the eldar', the whole setting is a tryhard version of something, that's like the point
>>
File: river.gif (435 KB, 443x212) Image search: [Google]
river.gif
435 KB, 443x212
>>47064327
>>
>>47061591
One thing that makes me cringe is the use of the term 'grimdark', I don't know who the fuck came up with this term but it makes you sound like a retard. Just call it a fucking dystopia for fucks sake.
>>
>>47063967
You can't compare these because Nancy Regan wasn't the President. Margaret Thatcher pursued ideologically motivated policies which were designed to weaken the solidarity of working class institutions. Also don't be suck a lickspittle, they're out representatives and should be held accountable for everything they do, you don't need to treat them like wounded soldiers when they've made thousands homeless and destroyed communities.
>>
File: Never piss off the Eldar.jpg (3 MB, 3482x1604) Image search: [Google]
Never piss off the Eldar.jpg
3 MB, 3482x1604
>>47062116
>All they have to be is open and honest

Top kek.
Pic related has a good example of what happens when the Eldar are open and honest with imperials.
For the lazy
>Eldar diplomat tells an Imperial governor the nature of soulstones, and why he can't trade them (the governor was coveting those stones).
>Governor doesn't give a shit, kills the diplomat, and dons the soulstones as a fucking necklace.
>que the Eldar killing every human on the planet, like they should have done from the get go.

Humans of 40k are barbarians and savages. We aren't supposed to sympathize with them. They are the embodiment of all of our worst aspects.
>>
>>47064889
"Grimdark" implies that it's badly written. If you call it a "dystopia", you put it on the same list as 1984 and Brave New World, which the vast majority of "grimdark" works don't even remotely deserve.
>>
>>47064327
Ah "trickle down" every good liberal's favorite phrase and repeat when they can't be bothered to study economics and develop a more nuanced perspective. If you really think supply side economics doesn't work, compare the Reagan years and the Gingrich years to 2001-present day's Keynesian demand side.

>>47064953
Oh brother. The Labour party ran a stagnant, poorly managed and weak economy for decades, which is why Thatcher got in in the first place. She may not have been shilling for the unions, but the entire country was better for her high growth policies.
>>
>>47062011

This is the exact reason why Horus Heresy was so good before it was explained
>>
>>47061937
>>
>>47065004
Yes because we can blame the stagflation of the 1970's and the oil bust on the Labour party, you know it wasn't an international crisis or anything. That's almost as funny as when people blame the 2008 crash on Labour.
>>
>>47065008
Except it wasn't "explained". It was completely changed by a bunch of hacks.
>>
>>47065015

>Descartes predicted 4chan
>>
File: Oshino really now.jpg (112 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
Oshino really now.jpg
112 KB, 1440x810
>>47063693
You must be fun to hang out with.
>>
>>47065054
Not only 4chan, but shitposting as well.
>>
>>47064978
But dystopia is just a descriptive term it implies no criticism. Many shitter settings are labelled dystopian. 'Grimdark' just sounds like a child's version of this and until you mentioned that I had no idea it even meant an implied critique.

Also not all 40k literature is badly written.
>>
>>47065015
Wait a sec that's not Descartes
>>
>>47063647
>Doesn't Skyrim sound better if you just say that you use the power of magic words to help defeat dragons in a battle that will span time itself?

Well, in Skyrim you say words that hack reality just as that one guy could hack phones using a whistle,mainly because everything is a dream and that particural sound invokes a response.
Also you are an avatar of two gods,half of which are dead fighting avatar of the same god,because he's insane or something.
Propably because giant robot made of dwarves

It does sound better when you explain it for me
>>
>>47065082
Jesus it even has a Wikipedia article. I think the term grimdark has got a life of it's own now.
>>
>>47065079

>tfw when he formally conceptualized"I was only pretending to be retarded" almost a century before the Enlightenment
>>
>>47065082
The only good 40k tie ins I can think about are the ones by Ian Watson and those are just 4. Most of the rest are just pulp, and not particularly good pupl either.
>>
>>47061591

40K is full of retardation like that, but there's something I've discovered: On the Micro scale, 40K has plenty of interesting and compelling stories. When you take a step back, it looks like a phenomenal clusterfuck of stupidity.

You have book series like Eisenhorn, Ravenor or Cain that aren't stupidly dark and have a modicum of sense. Hell, look at the Dawn of War games. They're serious, but they aren't pants on head retarded. Most of the time.
>>
File: hB529CBE0.jpg (47 KB, 500x506) Image search: [Google]
hB529CBE0.jpg
47 KB, 500x506
>>47065015
>>47065054
>>47065079
>>47065136
>>
>>47065136
>A Song of Fire and Ice is considered "grimdark"

I don't get it. The setting as a whole is not fucked, which is my criteria for grimdark. And why does grimdark have to be a subgenre when a perfectly good descriptor "dark" fantasy has been around for decades.
>>
>>47065131
It calls ASOIAF grimdark. While I agree that ASOIAF is unrealistic in the extreme, it's just dark, not grimdark. Grimdark implies a level of stupidity and being dark for no real reason.
>>
>>47065229

Went through and google hunted for it.

Wikiquotes has it listed as a pseudo quote of dubious veracity. He probably didn't say it.

But it's fun to pretend he did.
>>
>>47061591
Minds are the Fear Killer.

If you don't enjoy that quote on some level you can get out of my house.
>>
>>47065131
>Jesus it even has a Wikipedia article.
Is that supposed to be something notable or....?
>>
>>47065176
Ian Watson, Dan Abnett and a few others have had successful writing careers outside GW. A few books have been on the NY bestsellers list. Don't get me wrong most are shit but down to the sheer number of books it can't all be classified as badly written. There are a few gems. Meanwhile Twilight is 'Fantasy' next to Tolkien and Moorcock.
>>
File: Mahatma Ghandi.jpg (445 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Mahatma Ghandi.jpg
445 KB, 1200x900
>>
>>47065339
Yes because something that started out as a joke is now being used by literary critics and the meaning of the phrase has completely changed and now pretty much has just become another work for a nihilistic dystopia. This was my original point, we should just call 40K what it is, a dystopia.
>>
>>47065391
>Yes because something that started out as a joke is now being used by literary critics
That's okay. Literary critics are a joke themselves.
>>
>>47065391
The article isn't even describing grimdark properly. All those quotes are more applicable to dark fantasy. Grimdark is parody.
>>
>>47065391

The Imperium does fit most conventional definitions of dystopia. But it still just feels wrong to apply that to the entirety of 40k. Mostly because "dystopia" has a fairly limited scope which 40k exceeds. I think "dark science fantasy" is just as suitable as anything else.
>>
>>47065442
Perhaps, but this is how people are now using the term, it's passed out of our control and its meaning will/has changed.
>>
>>47063693
found the self loathing gamer

sorry MGS is too fun for you, go back to Gone Home
>>
>>47064111
SJWs don't care about the majority of the living, why should they care about the dead
>>
File: heresy-1988.jpg (160 KB, 575x620) Image search: [Google]
heresy-1988.jpg
160 KB, 575x620
>>47065008
>before it was explained
I know what you mean by this, but really, it's a process that's been ongoing ever since the HH was made a thing. The novels were just the next stage of it.

>>47065028
Like it's always been?
>>
>>47065554

Didn't the HH novels joss the theory Jonson's loyalty was dubious at best? Like, I always preferred to believe Luther rebelled because he was adamant the Angels help Terra and was tired of his Primarch's wish-washy bullshit.

It really is one of the most interesting things GW came up with, and it really gives an extra bit of personality to the Dark Angels.
>>
>>47064970
so you're saying us, the human readers, should be wanting to see humankind extinct, humans cant betray their species like that, even the ones accused of it often do so in the hopes of preserving the species in a different way?
>>
>>47065833
No. I am saying that we shouldn't glorify the humans of 40k, when the setting itself does it's best to show how low and shitty humanity has become in it.
It is more akin to a "cautionary tale" in the sense that 40k does it's best to portray humanity where our worst traits have defined our society. It is not something worth idolizing.
>>
>>47065176
Let's be honest now, even the worse BL books are better than Mary Higgins Clarke, and that's all that matter in the end.
>>
>>47065442
>Grimdark is parody
if only people understood this, the whole point was a mix of Dune, Starship Troopers, and British Cynicism
>>
I just dig chicks in uniforms, 40k has a lot of that so its fine by me.
>>
>>47065899
I get confused at the people here Lionizing the Imperium, some times I think it's Ironic other times it feels like they really want to go out and exterminate sapient life, if nothing else I can respect Humanity in 40k's setting for its drive to survive
>>
>>47065131
There is something I don't understand.

If you were considering ASOIAF grimdark, what would prevent you considering 1984 grimdark except the fear of being mocked and told it's a dystopia ? I mean, ASOIAF is really "bright" compared to the tone of 1984, not to even mention 40k.
>>
>>47065079
Shitpoasting has been around since before the Internet, likely since writing became a thing as seen by pompeiis graffiti.
>>
File: 1431066301707.jpg (252 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1431066301707.jpg
252 KB, 640x480
>>47066321
I find Pompeii's graphitti comfortingly human.
>>
>>47066351
I find 4chan comfortingly human too
>>
>>47066392
(un)fortunatly. shitposting never dies or changes, its a primoldiar element of the universe or some shit
>>
>>47066351
I love how dick jokes are a timeless human tradition

I wonder if even Eldar dabble in low brow humor
>>
>>47063653
>Dammit too late
>>
>>47067566
The oldest recorded joke comes from 10th century-ish England.
"What hangs at a man's thigh, and want to poke the hole its often poked before?"
"A key!"
>>
>>47061591
I don't really have anything against most of 40k quotes.

Of course they're recycled by somewhere else, but what isn't?
>>
>>47067981
>but what isn't
Original content.
:^)
>>
>>47064889

Grim darkness sounds better.
>>
>>47068646
You realise that the word grimdark comes directly from 40k's use of the term grim darkness, right?
>>
>>47068857

No shit, moron.
>>
>>47063744
Avatar, Civilization and two others I don't get.
>>
>>47063330
>>47063476

Unlike Reagan though, a lot of it is about where you're from as well. We Scots absolutely demonise Thatcher, not unjustifiably.
>>
>>47065186
I mean I love Dawn of War but

>STEEL REHN
>THE EMPRAH
>METAL BAWKSES
>>
>>47070951
Like I said, Most of the Time. Soulstorm was really where things went sideways.
>>
>>47062011

Pretty sure the Butcher's Nails have absolutely no effect on geneseed. It was actually having the Butcher's Nails or something similar to them implanted which caused a lot of World Eaters to turn.

>>47062116

The Eldar's ability to see the future is by no means solid, they see multiple paths and try to steer things towards what is most beneficial to them, but the actions of others can completely change things.

I find it absolutely fucking hilarious that you find the Eldar pride to be stupid when we as humans are still so fucking tribalistic that it isn't funny. That's not even mentioning how the Imperium isn't exactly predisposed to cooperation because of its own beliefs and how Dark Eldar find it hilarious to cause a rift between both sides.

The Tau would probably be willing ally with the Eldar, but the Eldar probably can't be bothered to ally with them for much the same reasons as with the Imperium. In the Eldar's view it might not make much sense to form an alliance when the Tau can perform a similar role as unknowing pawns.

>>47065899

I think people that are quick to wrote off 40k and anyone who takes it seriously as a joke miss little things like this where it's shown to what depths to humanity is capable of sinking. Even worse it's somewhat hard to root against the Imperium because they really represent the only humans in the setting and that likely plays on some kind of tribal instinct.
>>
>>47064105
>The fanbase cherry picks what they like and ignores the rest depending on personal preference.

Fucking Bingo.

However, I don't think that's a flaw. I think that is a great strength, can you imagine how many people would leave the hobby altogether if they were told their particular interpretation of the shite-load of fluff was plain wrong and not valid?
>>
>>47067884
Mate, Pompeii was way before that.
>>
File: 12.jpg (835 KB, 1132x1602) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
835 KB, 1132x1602
>>47065629
Well, there's the small question of how much credibility that idea had behind it to begin with.
>>
>>47063198
Except that 40k is just Fantasy in space, and its canon from the writers of End Times themselves that had Dwarf, man, and Elf united the Chaos Gods would never have beaten the mortal realm.

So the same thing goes for 40k. If the Tau stopped trying to convert others, humans stopped trying to wipe them out, and Eldar actually tried to improve other civilizations then the Chaos Gods probably wouldn't ever win.

Shit, the Tau and Eldar could probably together resurrect the Emperor.

That's not even going into the Necrons/Nagash not being dicks.
>>
>>47071035
the worse part of that debacle is that asshole would have been shot by other humans for sparking pointless conflict, most of the inquisition knows that hording eldar souls is just asking for trouble
>>
>>47064978
>something is bad therefore it doesn't belong to [genre I like]

Every single genre of anything can be bad or good. That's like saying Mall cop is not a comedy because it's shit and doesn't deserve to be in the same list as naked gun
>>
>>47062213

This might ring true, since I like both. I still really need to find time to sit down and replay MGS1, 2, and 3 and play 4, PW, GZ, 5 and possibly Rising for the first time.

>>47062415

Well I suppose that is the fault of the fans who wanted more stuff to be published.

>>47062579

That's probably a mechanics thing, to emphasize that the Eldar fliers are fast, but fragile.

>>47063006

Have to agree that the fact that 40k is space fantasy when other miniatures are so intent on being generic scifi still helps it to stand out. I feel like Infinity stands out too, but that could just be because it's aesthetics and such are influenced by anime and manga, particularly Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed.
>>
>>47062005
I'd be ashamed too. What kind of sick faggot practices sodomy *in the closet*? My clothes go in there!
>>
>>47064105
For example, 'ol Ollie Pius
>>
>>47063967
>>47064111
>>47064195
Christ, I can't believe I have to 'well actually' goddamn 4chan, but, WELL ACTUALLY...
Clinton could have chosen any of hundreds of different things to say if she wanted to be nice about Nancy Reagan. What did she choose to say? 'The Reagans started a conversation about AIDS'. This was the WORST POSSIBLE THING TO SAY, since the Reagan White House is infamous for treating the AIDS epidemic with cold distance. (The historical truth of that infamy, and how the Reagans themselves felt, is a fraught question, but the fact remains, there's audio footage of the White House press corp at the time laughing about AIDS). So, when trying to remember the poor woman, Clinton brought up one of the most horrible things she and her husband are associated with. Which, yes, gave idiots on the internet an excuse to REEEEEE far in excess of what made sense, but let's not pretend that it was just because 'Hillary said something nice'.
>>
>>47062804
West Coast LA Battle Bunker (Actually it was in Orange County...) which is in Socal was known as "Dark Angel HQ" back during the late 90's and early 2000's.

Both for it's high concentration of DA players, and also because of Cali's high population of teh gays.
>>
>>47071589
>Except that 40k is just Fantasy in space, and its canon from the writers of End Times themselves that had Dwarf, man, and Elf united the Chaos Gods would never have beaten the mortal realm.
It was called Storm of Chaos.
>>
>>47065004
>>47065026

Fukken rekt. It's double-adorable how cuckservatives just assume they know the first goddamn thing about economics when literally every place they installs their silly "starve the workers to buy executives a 9th summer home" policies result in abject social dissolution, crippling inequality, & a stagnated market because the upward pre-distribution of income removes the opportunity of cash flow from its primary source, fucking spending.

But keep on about it from your ivory tower with your retarded deregulatory shitfest that has brought continents to its knees to fund hedge managers' coke & child prostitute habits. I'm sure you'll convince the unwashed masses that their best interests intersect with their owners'.
>>
>>47066643
You know what else never changes?

War.
>>
>>47063255
Two more beers.
>>
>>47063744
Is the last Fallout New Vegas?
>>
>>47065323
I only love the first book. Once Paul becomes blind it get boring.
>>
>>47066643
Shitposting... Shitposting never changes.

>>47067884
I laughed at this one. I feel old.
>>
>>47071001
I though Soulstorm fixed most of the bullshit that Dawn of War was afflicted with, such as the Eldars being OP, the orks being weak in late game, or the space marines being too good?
>>
>>47064970
>Eldar aren't even sure if the guy was actually told, just assumed that's what was said in private.
>proceed to go full REEEEE anyway instead of a show of force
>Knows it's just this one asshole, murders children and farmers anyway.
>Pulls out a fucking Avatar of Khaine and battleships for an agri-world with shitty PDF, still suffer massive casualties

And they wonder why humanity fucking murders any alien they come across.
>>
>>47078019
>actually defending the cunt who murdered the Eldar diplomats so that he could get some fancy jewelry.
You disgusting jew.
The blood that was spilled on that world is solely on the hands of that piece of shit governor.
>>
>>47065186
>On the Micro scale, 40K has plenty of interesting and compelling stories.
That's something I've noticed with the Eye of Terror campaign. I felt that by tying the fate of the whole universe to one planet, by having the Imperium call back forces from as far as Ultramar and things like that, it just shrink the universe to a pathetically small size and break my immersion.While when you have all the event of the Sabbat Crusade in one single sector, it looks like a much more credible universe to me. They should do more sector descriptions. If done well it could create new stakes that can actually be at stake since you can crash the local status quo without crashing the game. Hell, you can do players driven worldwide campaign that are actually players driven.
I call that "scale down, stakes up".
>>
File: 1456645812044.jpg (85 KB, 1234x395) Image search: [Google]
1456645812044.jpg
85 KB, 1234x395
>>47061591
>>
>>47077331
Is the Mojave the largest desert in the world?
>>
>>47065268
>ASOIAF is unrealistic in the extreme

Explain.
>>
>>47063123
One thing I like about Babymetal is they never break character but are inherently silly.
>>
>>47065391
Who gives a shit what a bunch of literary critics do? They're more useless than someone with a BA in Women's Studies.
>>
>>47066351
>Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

It really does anticipate 4chan.
>>
>>47079790

He probably buys into those "lol the good guys don't win in GoT!" memes and is having a kneejerk reaction to a series he thinks is calling him a moralfag.

ASoIaF is dark, sure, but the good guys who lose don't lose because Gurm thinks good is naive. They lose because they're gormless and put Lawful Good above pragmatic reasoning. The series has plenty of good guys who are still alive, mostly because they're smart about it.
>>
File: Better no game than a bad game.png (792 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Better no game than a bad game.png
792 KB, 960x960
>>47065293

This one's legit, though.
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.