[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pong Lore and RPG Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Pong.png (2 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Pong.png
2 KB, 800x600
Discuss the viability of the Pong universe as a tabletop RPG setting. Have fun, don't go full autist, and keep your cool. Keep your asspain to yourself. This is not /v/ or /vg/.
>>
>>47041123
Pong has lore?
>>
>This is not /v/ or /vg/.

Good, you already seem to understand why you're not in your proper containment board already.
>>
>>47041138
It's pretty deep, yeah
>>
>>47041138
>>
>>47041160
Tell that to the Elder Scrolls and Warcraft fags
>>
Which paddle do you think is ultimately right? Is the central conflict one of individualism vs collectivism or is it more just simple good and evil?

Everyone knows left paddle best paddle, righty scrubs go home
>>
>>47041324
I think it's deeper than that-- the black void the two play in seems to represent the inner unconscious, and I think the two paddles are actually disparate halves of the same whole. The ball bouncing back and forth between them is an internal argument being had as the greater creature, perhaps represented by the player, debates with itself. The problem is a particularly thorny one, too, since even if one side ever briefly wins, the argument simply starts up again with a new game.
>>
>>47041324
which paddle is ultimately right ? the one on the right dingus, cant get no righter than right, it's as right as it gets....
>>
File: pong.jpg (31 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
pong.jpg
31 KB, 500x465
Pong should be a d100 system to more accurately represent the analogue controllers.

Digital pad Pong was a mistake, there's probably a d6/d20 version of it floating around.
>>
What are the paddles competing for?
How did it all start?
What happens when the ball goes in each goal?
>>
Pong is an important tool for disproving sophism because in the early days of the internet you could play it with people you could not see therefore you could prove the world was not just a construct with your perceptions at the core. It's also the best alignment system because of this. Binary alignment best alignment.
>>
>>47041324
Right paddle is always right.

It's right paddle, after all
>>
>>47041538
Anon, that does not follow at all. You can't disprove sophism, merely determine that it's unlikely, and that even if it were true, it wouldn't change anything.
>>
>>47041538
>>47041690
Also, fuck me, it's solipsism, not sophism.
>>
>it's an "anon makes a butthurt thread instead of a quality thread" thread

OP, I also dislike threads about video games on /tg/, but making a whiny metathread doesn't do anything to improve the board's quality.
>>
>>47041949
What are you talking about, we're clearly having a grand time talking about pong's deep lore.

Why, I'm even homebrewing a system for it as we speak!

Your stats are:
>Speed
Roll Speed to get your paddle into position to block your opponent's shot.
>Precision
Roll Precision to place your shot closer to where you aimed.

You have 16 sides' worth of dice to assign to your stats, so you can go d4/d12, d6/d10 or d8/d8 in any arrangement.

You can aim your shot at 90, 67.5, 45, or 22.5 degrees up or down from your paddle, and for each step away from 90 you take a -1 penalty to your Precision. The ball will follow your direction until it enters the goal. scoring you a point, it hits a non-paddle surface, causing it to bounce at a mirror-angle, or it hits a paddle. In order to hit a paddle, the person whose side of the field the ball enters must make a speed roll, with a penalty equal to the number of time the ball bounced.
>>
>>47042231
The DC for any roll is the opposing roll, so to hit a ball you have to roll speed - no. of bounces vs. Precision - angle. If you pass, you block, and then roll your own precision to send it on its way. If you fail a speed roll, you don't hit the ball and it continues on its trajectory until it hs to check status again by hitting a wall, a goal, or another paddle. If you fail precision roll, the ball goes wild, flying away at a random angle, determined by rolling a d8, rerolling 8s.
>>
>>47041949
You sound salty, anon? Did someone ping your pong?
>>
Stats

Paddle- The length and durability of your paddle. Essentially, your physical attributes
Optics- How easily you can track the ball and your opponent. Your primary sense.
Navigation- The complexity of the routes and strategies you can devise, as well as how well you can execute long term plans. Your intelligence and skill.
Gait- How quickly you can move your paddle.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.