[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Humanity once discovered a bomb that in theory could ignite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: I cast light.gif (494 KB, 387x305) Image search: [Google]
I cast light.gif
494 KB, 387x305
>Humanity once discovered a bomb that in theory could ignite our whole atmosphere, on our only planet, our homeworld at that
>we go ahead and test if it does that anyway
>our main way to deploy infantry on the ground from air transport fast is to tell them to JUMP OUT and the only thing keeping them from splattering on the floor at 120 km/h is a thin piece of cloth strapped onto them
>until modern weapons came into play, our main warfare tactic was "throw people at it, ignoring how many of them die and hope you have more people than the other side"
>despite modern weapons, some people are STILL willing to strap explosives onto themselves just to fuck up the enemy in a berserk suicidal attack
>grand majority of humans enjoys watching 2 humans attempt to beat eachother into unconsciousness on television
>we've had conflicts that lasted longer than average human lifespan
>in fact 90% of human history is conflicts and warfare, majority of our historical education is about ancient conquerors, their empires and warriors

Humanity - bonus to diplomacy.
>>
>the art of saying "nice doggy" until you find a big enough rock
I'm not seeing a problem here.
>>
>in fact 90% of human history is conflicts and warfare, majority of our historical education is about ancient conquerors, their empires and warriors

No it fucking isn't you tard. 90% of human history, as in "shit that has happened throughout most of the time humans have existed on Earth", has been farmers living quietly industrious lives. The vast, VAST majority of human beings throughout all of history have had nothing to do with war or combat in any way. In fact, war is the exception of history, not the rule. And no, wars really haven't had that much of an effect on human development - trade, disease and scientific endeavour have all been far more important.

The only reason our education focuses on wars and conquerors so much is because that stuff is exciting, while the effects of Indian Ocean trade routes on the development of east Africa and southern Asia isn't (unless you're a professional historian).
>>
>>47000430
>until modern weapons came into play, our main warfare tactic was "throw people at it, ignoring how many of them die and hope you have more people than the other side"
Wut?
>>
>>47000430
>We nailed our god to a stick
>>
>>47000672
OP only saw Hollywood movies, so he assumes pre-modern armies are as dumb as Hollywood writers.
>>
All this shit means nothing if we don't find another sentient, intelligent race to compare ourself to.
>>
>>47000706
Are you saying WW1 didn't involve human waves?
>>
>>47000809
Are you saying the Carthaginian campaign, the wars of the Three Kingdoms, the Napoleonic Wars, and countless other conflicts involved nothing but human waves?
>>
>>47000809
WW1 is widely regarded as one of the stupidest wars on a strategic and tactical scale.

If we're talking about the ancient world, look up what a Phalanx is. I'd hardly call that human waves.
>>
File: Let me tell you about Carthage.jpg (333 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
Let me tell you about Carthage.jpg
333 KB, 986x1369
>>47000842
>nothing but human waves
No, Romans didn't do human waves as much as barbarians did.
In fact, Roman empire was fucked up by German tribes badly because they went all oogabooga in huge bumrushes out of forests.
>>
>>47000868
The forests broke up the Roman formations, forcing them to 1v1 the barbarians.

Also, are you aware of Hannibal's strategies?
>>
>>47000430
That's an extremely narrow view on the way things are done and for what reasons.

May as well continue telling us that we willingly breath poison too.
>>
>>47000868
Romans were the literal masters of human waving everyone else into a bloody pulp.
>>
>>47000915
>we willingly breath poison too.
That's right, welcome to China.
We love drinking poison too, in fact, we have places dedicated to selling you poison for drinking where you can drink poison with other people and and moan about your daily problems.
>>
>>47000940
Shieldwall charge doesn't really count as that, human wave "tactics" are about ignoring losses, meanwhile most roman tactics were about minimizing losses.
>>
>>47000940
>Shieldwall formations
>Men walking lock in step, with a massive metal thing designed to protect them
>The same thing as the Celts running naked at things with spears.

Please learn historical tactics before you shitpost.
>>
>>47001002
>romans learned mail armour from the celts
>romans learned to throw shit at the enemy from the celts
>celts fucking trashed Rome and sacked it fucking completely

Please learn history before you shitpost.
>>
>>47000430
I am going to violate my rule of not responding to frogposts...

a) I'll give you the nuke test because that was ridiculous.
b) Parachutes are reasonably reliable and losing a few troopers is to be expected no matter what methods you use. Cars are known to crash too.
c)

Go read some more. A commander only results to "throw more meat at them" tactic when they have nothing else left. Sometimes you get some utterly idiotic commanders for whom that's the only tactic they know. In both World Wars human wave tactics were used by commanders while there were some brilliant tacticians back when spears and bronze swords were the common military weapons.

d)
>despite modern weapons, some people are STILL willing to strap explosives onto themselves just to fuck up the enemy in a berserk suicidal attack
Well that is what a suicide attack is. People also leave the explosives lying somewhere and detonate them with a timer or remote control. All of these are efficient methods of causing death and destruction with their own advantages and problems.

e)
>grand majority of humans enjoys watching 2 humans attempt to beat eachother into unconsciousness on television

I think you got majority and minority mixed up. Boxing really isn't that popular worldwide.

f)
Yes, so what?
g)
You over estimate the amount of warfare and I don't know where you went to school but there was a lot more to my history lessons than just warfare and empires.
>>
File: justinian.jpg (176 KB, 685x960) Image search: [Google]
justinian.jpg
176 KB, 685x960
>>47001075
>rome was sacked by the celts
laughingvisigoth.jpg
>>
>>47001166
That's not what I was implying. The Celts got btfo'd because their human wave tactics bounced off Roman formations.
>>
>>47001229
Replied to wrong poster.

Meant to reply to >>47001075

Celts lost, bro.
>>
>>47001002
>>47001229
>>47000868
>Barbarian hordes meme
Holy shit. How about 30 seconds of googling, guys? The various tribes the Romans fought didn't lose because they ran at armoured formations with sticks, stones and free-flying junk like crazed berserk junkies. They were skirmishers who fought in loose formations in situations that favoured them. When they were forced into confrontations without the aid of favoured terrain, like forests, the tightly regimented Romans won because they had numerous, evolving military doctrines, formations and tactics from centuries of fighting every kind of military force the world had to offer.

Very few nations in all of human history have or have even been able to use human waves in warfare.
>>
>>47000430
>the average level of intelligence for HFY posters
>>
>>47001256
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Allia

Celts are more than the British Isles.
>>
>>47000691
>an infinite being came down to us and took our form
>he tried to teach us and guide us
>we murdered the fuck out of him
>we then killed people in his name for two thousand years
Definitely something to be proud of.
>>
>>47000430

Found the Russian. But seriously, this is massively ignorant. We've had tactics to efficiently kill larger forces ever since the smarter guy with smaller forces didn't want to lose.
>>
>>47000638
Wouldn't people have been hunter gatherers for the vast majority of human history, and therefore somewhat accustomed to what could be considered a sort of combat?
Then again I guess they didn't usually hunt things that could fight back very well.
>>
File: 1339499844134[1].jpg (139 KB, 579x527) Image search: [Google]
1339499844134[1].jpg
139 KB, 579x527
>>47001166
>rome was sacked by the celts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennus_(4th_century_BC)

>>47001492
>They were skirmishers who fought in loose formations in situations that favoured them.
just no.

>The various tribes the Romans fought didn't lose because they ran at armoured formations with sticks, stones and free-flying junk like crazed berserk junkies
apart from the sticks and stones, that's exactly what they're reported to have done. They relied on the shock of their initial charge to break through the enemy line, at which point the enemy line would start to crumble and the battle would devolve into one-on-one fighting which favoured them. If their initial charge failed, on the other hand, their lack of discipline generally meant they didn't fare well.
>>
>>47004667
Definition of history is based around what has been written down.
Before writing, it's not history.
Hunter-gather societies are literally prehistoric.
It might feel odd, but, it's how the definitions shake out, so it's how we treat things. Especially because we know fuck-all about those cultures.
>>
>>47000785
THIS.
>>
File: 1461260505584.png (936 KB, 944x655) Image search: [Google]
1461260505584.png
936 KB, 944x655
>>47000430
Maybe we're the ''aggressive unreasonable berserker'' species of this universe. Maybe that's why no ayyliens contacted us yet.
>>
>>47000785
This.
>>
>>47000638
>muh history ba
Holy shit duke grow the fuck up and stop being such a goddamned lolbertard
>>
File: 1461920306200.jpg (74 KB, 747x491) Image search: [Google]
1461920306200.jpg
74 KB, 747x491
>>47000785
>tfw no other species in the universe compare benis
>>
File: Things Only Weenies Care About.png (169 KB, 310x325) Image search: [Google]
Things Only Weenies Care About.png
169 KB, 310x325
>>47000430
>in fact 90% of human history is conflicts and warfare

No, that's just the parts that people write about. Our minds are drawn to conflict, so history books tend to skip over the bits that don't have as much of it

It's like any story; are you interested in reading about Gandalf brushing his teeth and taking a shit, or would you rather hear about his participation in the war of the ring?
>>
>>47007052
>>And lo, did I feel a great pressure in my nether regions so I broke from the Company to the privacy of the bushes and let fly a massive stink bomb. Much to my surprise the idiotic dwarves and their hobbit minder got their asses captured by trolls. And thus after wiping my ring of power, I set to tricking the trolls....

-JRR Tolkien - The Hobbit's Lost chapters.
>>
>>47000809

He said "until modern weapons".

Even then, thinking ww1 tactics were "stupid" is just ignorance.
>>
>>47000430
>our main way to deploy infantry on the ground from air transport fast is to tell them to JUMP OUT and the only thing keeping them from splattering on the floor at 120 km/h is a thin piece of cloth strapped onto them
Not true any more, it was only true for a few decades in between the development of reliable fixed wing aircraft and the development of reliable rotary wing aircraft. In fact, even before helicopters made it big in military aviation, the huge drawbacks of airborne operations, discovered the hard way in the second world war, kept them for being a major feature of the wars in the 50s and 60s.
>>
>>47001492
>Very few nations in all of human history have or have even been able to use human waves in warfare.
What about the Chinese in Korea?
:^)
>>
>>47008647
Bait, but they used a mix of Maskirovka, ww1 infiltration tactics, and a shit load of hand grenades. If the chinese army had had access to bags of holding, they'd have filled them with hand grenades, they loved shit going boom and the only units that weren't overwhelmed on the NATO side were the ones that brought more grenades than usual.
>>
>>47008728
It wasn't so much bait as agreeing with you and giving you a chance to preemptively refute the third most common retard-tier counterargument.

I've completely given up on arguing against "human waves" in WW1 and Russia in WW2 specifically but nobody was using the one thing I had chance of success with.
>>
Read "Teh Damned" trilogy by Aland Dean Foster.

There's a reason all humans are insane.
>>
>>47008647
Chinese 'human wave' tactics in Korea represent an isolated example of them being effective. They did work, but had an overwhelming human cost, and after the war, the US and USSR independently developed weapon systems (the Mk 19 and AGS-17, respectively) specifically designed to render the tactics used by China in Korea worthless.
>>
>>47007224
Yeah, it was mostly Field Marshal Haig's incompetence.
Just look at what the Allies did to the Ottoman Empire. World War 1 was more than just the Western Front and the Battle of the Somme.
>>
what is it with hfyfags and their edgy obsession with war
>>
>>47012826
They want to think humans get a racial bonus to fighting, which they are.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.