[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Night Shift - /tg/ get shit done (even if it takes a while)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.png (257 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
257 KB, 1366x768
Hey everyone. It's been a while. TV guy here.

I know that this has been a long time coming, but I wanted to show this to you guys. It's a short teaser for Night Shift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E72EmcPWDv8

FAQ:
>What is Night Shift?
About two years ago on /tg/, a bunch of anons came up with an idea for a game setting. Night Shift is that product--a story about a gas station in the middle of nowhere, and the creepy occurrences that happen during its late-night shift.
>So why the shitty trailer?
Night Shift was originally meant to be a game setting. Then, NSW Anon started to make a game. Eventually, he and I started writing a script for the pilot of a TV show based on this. You guys loved the idea. But after our proposal was shot down, we decided to go ahead and try to make it an indie short film.

We couldn't find a suitable director, so we shelved it for a while. Then, NSW Anon and I agreed that I should film it. I've got a rag-tag team of actors, editors, and a film ready to start--but this teaser was filmed and edited 100% by myself. Hence the bad quality... But I promise you that the final product will be better.
>When will the full film be released?
At this point, that's unknown. During the summer when everyone has time off, we plan to shoot 5 minutes proof-of-concept footage. After that, we'll make a Kickstarter to fund the full film.

Thanks for sticking with us all these years, /tg/... I'll be around to answer questions for a bit.
>>
Wow, so after 2 years, Night Shift is finally happening? About time! But I'm glad that it's finally coming. Can't wait to see more.
>>
>>46994025
Yep!

Thanks for the support.

It's getting late here. I'll probably stay up for another hour, and if the thread doesn't get much activity before then, I'll just repost this tomorrow.
>>
>>46993837
Holy. Shit.

I have never been more hyped. I was in those threads from the start, and that setting turned out so much better than I'd ever hoped... the fact that you guys are going ahead with this is fucking fantastic.
>>
File: 1459096902781.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1459096902781.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
>>46993837
Keep on keepin' on.
>>
>>46994784
Heheh, thanks man.

We're really proud of the fact that this is finally happening, too.

To be honest I was afraid of showing this trailer to you guys--I think I could have done a better job with it. But I'm glad you like it!

Thanks for sticking with us.
>>
Damn I remember taking part in this shit
that was so long ago

Somebody wouldn't happen to have the old threads would they?
>>
>>46994955
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Night_Shift

This isn't a complete list, but here's a few of them.
>>
Does anyone have the PDFs for Night Shift?
>>
>>46995519
I don't have them on me, no.

But on that note, I will be going to bed.

I'll see you all tomorrow--or rather, later today.

If the thread dies, again I'll just repost it.

Catch you guys on the flip side!
>>
>>46995566
Thanks man.

Nice triple dubs
>>
Bump cause Night Shift is sick
>>
This sounds pretty cool. Don't suppose the the game system was ever made though?
>>
>Kickstarter
Shit. Another neat project I cannot fund, due to kickstarters retardedly limited methods of pament.
I wish you all the best though, I remember the threads.
>>
Neat, I hope this works out.

Do you have any previous directing experience?

Horror is a really tricky genre.
>>
>the Night Shift pitch was two years ago

Jesus.

But awesome news, OP!
>>
Hey, look! The thread's still up!

>>46998577
Last I talked to NSW Anon, he was busy at university, yet still trying to work on Night Shift whenever he could. Problem is, he's working full time and going to university full time too... That's one of the reasons he let me have more control over the project. He just can't devote nearly as much time to Night Shift as he could two years ago.

Now, you may be thinking, "Why didn't he get it done two fucking years ago, then?" Well, even back then he was busy. He worked on the script with me in the wee hours of the night... The guy's dedicated, for sure. But he has his own life to live, too.

>>46998734
Hmm... Well, I was using "Kickstarter" as a general way of saying crowdfunding. But the reason I wanted to use Kickstarter was because it's probably the biggest crowdfunding site out there, and the full short will cost a lot. We need as many people to donate as we possibly can. But if there's another wesbite that will get us funded sooner, please suggest it to me!

>>46999753
My previous directing experience consists of shitty found footage films in high school. This will be my first "real" film. But I do have a vision, which is shared with NSW Anon. We've worked hard and are willing to work harder to get this done. I've even made a reddit account and subscribed to /r/filmmakers to get as much help as possible (/tv/ has too much shitposting).

>>47000124
I know man... Time flies!

Thanks so much everyone!
>>
>>47001165
Well the only other site I know of is indiegogo. But you are right that Kickstarter is most probably the best choice, since it's the biggest and most known one. But if it is not too much of a hassle, integrating PayPal might be a good idea. Planetary Anihilation and a few others did this.
>>
>>47001390
Yeah man, for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll most definitely try to go ahead and integrate PayPal.
>>
>>47001165
>My previous directing experience consists of shitty found footage films in high school.

Please don't make this found footage. A naturalistic style might work, but don't make it actually found footage.

>I've even made a reddit account and subscribed to /r/filmmakers to get as much help as possible (/tv/ has too much shitposting).

Good call, although /tv/'s screenwriting general threads aren't too bad. And when the cinematography posters get riled up, they seem to know their stuff.
>>
>>47001390
>>47001447

I don't know how Kickstarter works, but could you add Bitcoin as a separate option?

I'd be happy to chip in a few bucks to help get the project moving (even if I don't get a T-shirt or my name in the credits).
>>
>>46993837
I'm so goddamned happy to see this. I've always loved Night Shift and have been waiting for this for a while. Glad to see you guys are at it
>>
No fucking way.
Ho-lee shit.
>>
>>46993837
>mfw I was considering making Night Shift my animation project
You beat me to it, but I gotta wish you luck. I'll save up some some cash and chip in, hopefully contribute to something cool.
>>
>>47001502
Yeah, this definitely WILL NOT be found footage. This will be shot traditionally.

And thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually in the /swg/ Skype group, but I've found them to just kind of say stupid shit 24/7.

>>47001523
I'm not totally sure how Kickstarter works either, but I do know someone who does. I'll be talking to him about integrating PayPal, and, if possible, Bitcoin as well.

>>47001625
Thanks man! Night Shift has always been something I've wanted to do too. I'm glad that it's finally happening.

>>47001677
I know, it's hard to believe. But it's true.
>>
>Get a job working night shift at a truck stop
>Start documenting the strange shit that goes on
>Think it'll never amount to anything
If this works out, I might be able to lure some players in and actually do something with my Night Shift notebook. Thanks be to the, OP and NSW Anon.
>>
>>47001809
No, Anon... Thank YOU for supporting us even after all this time!

This wouldn't have been possible if not for /tg/. Together, we get shit done.
>>
I just ran this last week, the players enjoyed the hell out of it. Glad to see it's still going, man.
>>
>>47002056
Nice! Glad to see they enjoyed it. I'm sure NSW Anon would get a kick out of that.
>>
>>47002056
Storytime please.
>>
>>47002056
>>47002720
Seconded
>>
man im so hype. hopefully NSW anon can find some time to make some good progress. nightshift is my passion
>>
>>47003151
Yeah man! Night Shift is mine too. NSW Anon is fairly busy as I said, but he's still working on the game whenever he has free time.
>>
File: goodmeme.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
goodmeme.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
Ladies and gents, please forgive me for making this.

I am not an artist.
>>
Alrighty, story time.
>So, I was super nervous, game burnt out early, and I wanted to play anything different than 3.PF.
>I write out the positions on a piece of paper, ripping them, and giving to the players out of a hat. (Cashier, Assistant Manager, Pump Attendant, and Stocker)
>10 PM, manager change over.
>Assistant Manager, "Shawnee", takes over, receives the task list and begins her shift.
>Pump Attendant, "Max" punches in early, like always.
>Cashier, "Willy" strolls in after a few minutes talking to his friends outside.
>Stocker, "Mikey" has not show up or called out, so the others assume he'll be in late again. The manager is pretty lax, she knows tonight is like every other night.
>her face when it isn't.
>On a piece of paper taped to the drawer, reads, "Out of Marlboro Slims, suggest something else."
>The bell rings, three people walk in. Man in a business suit walks over and asks for Slims. Willy replies there is none to be found.
>Demands to see manager. Other two guys wander over to the soda cooler.
>Shawnee walks over to see what's up.
>"Your employee refuses to simply look to see if you have any in the back."
>Shawnee sends Willy to the back room to check.
>Willy walks in, grabs a bag of chips off the shelf, eats it for a few minutes, and writes it off. {RATS AGAIN, PUT OUT MORE PELLETS}.
>He notices a cellar door he's never seen before.
>>
>>47004094
>TFW he calls b8, so he closes the door, but finds an old box of... slims, but so dusty and dirty you can't read it. He stashes half in the back, and takes some out with him.
>"Here, looked extra hard for you."
>Man pays and leaves, Shawnee smiles.
>A light bulb goes out. She sighs.
>11pm. Car pulls up outside. Max can see "Gus the Gas Grizzly" smiling back at him from his booth as he leaves for the car.
>Two kids finally walk up with soda, pay for it, ask for slims (Which he sells), and they leave.
>TV plays broadcast of a wanted criminal on the loose. Guess who shows up?
>Willy says no, calls the cops.
>Shawnee puts in new light bulb, one down the aisle explodes. She climbs down the ladder, and moves down.
>No Mikey, still.
>Max, aspiring overachiever, locks the propane cage.
>Cops show up, dude yells really loudly about how it's not him, it's someone else. Cops say BS, arrest him and go to leave.
>Ask for slims.
>Shawnee replaces another lightbulb, and another fizzles out.
>Max swears there's something flying around outside.
>>
>>47004207
>12 am. Let's get weird.
>Large, LARGE man walks in, immediately heads for bathroom. Willy sighs, he knows what's going down in there.
>Man pulls up outside, tosses Max a $20, and heads in.
>Max starts pumping the gas, eyeing Gus the Grizzly. Gus stares back at him.
>Man asks for two lottery tickets, which he scratches off. "Skull... Skull!... Roach, damnit... I guess you can't win all of them."
>Asks for slims, and sits outside.
>12:30 am, Mikey shows up finally.
>Acts like he was doing inventory the whole time.
>Shawnee doesn't believe, but doesn't call bull.
>Another light bulb goes out.
>It's starting to get noticeably cold in the store. Willy turns up the thermostat, then heads outside.
> Bums a slim.
>Max swears he sees bats outside, but can't tell where or what they're going for.
>Mikey opens a box, it's the wrong contents, so he goes over to another. Wrong stuff. Wrong stuff in every box.
>The large man is now making very loud sounds in the bathroom.
>>
>>47004335
>1am
>Three men, who all look like the criminal come in, and go to the soda coolers.
>The sounds in the bathroom stop.
>Another lightbulb goes out. Shawnee swears.
>Max checks the pump levels. A bat smacks him on the back of the neck.
>Mikey says fuck it, heads outside and smokes.
>It's getting pretty chilly in here, a noticeable 30 degrees from outside. Willy turns the thermostat all the way up. The lever breaks.
>Another lightbulb breaks.
>2am
>Nothing from the bathroom, except the smell of something rotting.
>Willy calls nope.
>Shawnee heads over and nearly vomits.
>She opens the door. Fat man is dead, there is a whole chicken's remains lying next to him.
>Well, fuck.
>the wanted man walks in, and heads to the cooler.
>All four wanted men ask for slims.
>Shawnee heads to the back, and picks up the green phone.
>There is nothing.
>No dial tone, nothing.
>She picks up the other phone. Same.
>Her cell phone is now in the Bermuda triangle.
>it's very cold, now.
>>
>>47004455
>Shawnee closes the restroom door, tapes a "Do Not Enter" sign to it, and goes back to changing light bulbs.
>It's 3 am. A homeless looking man walks in, heads to the magazine rack and starts arguing with a National Geographic.
>Willy smokes another cigarette
>Mikey starts taking out the trash, skipping the men's room.
>Is physically tired whenever he sees the couch in the break room.
>The disgruntled man throws the magazine onto the counter, screaming at it. He stops abruptly, asks for slims, pays $2.73 short, and walks out, but Willy doesn't stop him.
>Anytime someone pulls up, Max is being assaulted by bats. They smack into the window now.
>That bathroom now smells Horrid.
>Shawnee may have OCD, she changes another lightbulb, and two more burn out.
>It's now 60 degrees cooler in here than outside.
>Willy grabs his coat, and walks back in, miserable.
>That smell, tho.
>Mikey grabs Willy, and they head to the bathroom. The fat man is liquefying into mucus like ooze.
>They scoop him up, stuffing him into trash bags. One rips, and spills all over the floor. Willy throws a mop at it.
>Shawnee stops changing lightbulbs, going into the restroom. Her reflection smiles at her. She rubs her eyes.
>Mikey throws the fat ooze man into the dumpster without Willy's help. He stops, unlocks the propane cage, and "Spills" some oil.
>>
>>47004600
>4am.
>Two men in a pickup truck with a deer strapped to the top pull in.
>They're absolutely ecstatic.
>They ask for slims, and buy a couple cases of beer.
>Max looks around, he swears Gus's arm moved. A bat smacks into it.
>The two men walk out, drop their beer, and walk back in.
>"The deer is gone!"
>"It couldn't have gotten up and left!"
>Mikey shrugs, he didn't see anything.
>Willy grabs a cigarette.
>The men leave, very upset.
>Shawnee starts mopping the men's room. Her reflection walks out of the mirror.
>Mikey calls for everyone to have a meeting in the store.
>No matter which door Shawnee enters, it isn't letting her go back to the main floor, randomly entering another room. Even onto the roof and in the basement.
>Max walks in, Willy and Mikey are smiling.
>"Yes?" he asks, looking around.
>"Oh, it was nothing, you can go back out."
>Max swears and goes back outside, being assaulted by bats.
>Real Mikey and Willy can't find their manager or pump attendant.
>Gus is now gone.
>Max locks the door to his station.
>Shawnee ends up back into the bathroom. Her reflection talking to her again.
>She breaks down, finally stepping in the mirror.
>Everything on this side is perfect. Everyone is happy.
>All the light bulbs are working fine.
>Something is terribly wrong, here.
>>
>>47004736
>Shawnee goes back to the mirror, she can't leave, it's solid.
>She goes to the break room. The couch does look very comfortable, and she's very tired.
>She lays down, and goes to sleep.
>Willy and Mikey are freezing to death. It's negatives in here, now.
>The deer walks in, dripping.
>Willy stares in shock.
>It walks up to the counter, and asks for slims.
Willy throws a pack down, and backs up.
>It hooves it, and shambles outside, dripping black.
>Mikey leaves. There's a swarm of bats out here, and he runs to his car it won't start.
>5am disappears, and everything is chaos.
>Every car from the night pulls back up, the inhabitants now green slime things.
>The bats suddenly stop.
>Mikey lights a cigarette.
>Willy locks the door, everyone bashing onto all the glass trying to find a way in.
>He runs to the break room. The couch seems mighty fine right now. He lays down, and falls asleep.
>6:45 am. The sun is starting to rise.
>Max hears scratching from right behind him, and a deep breathing voice.
>Mikey throws his lit cigarette at the pool of gasoline.

The End
>>
>>47004871
Any good? It seemed like everyone was digging it, no one had a complaint (at least to my face :D), and it seems everyone wants me to run it again. Hopefully I did the overall story type justice?
>>
>>47004094
>>47004207
>>47004335
>>47004455
>>47004600
>>47004736
>>47004871
Dude... That story's incredible! Sounds like you and the players had a lot of fun. Were you using Night Shift World? Or were you adapting it to another game?

Man, I haven't actually played any RPGs in a while. I've kind of fallen out of /tg/ culture in general... But let me say this: It's GREAT to be back!
>>
>>47004936
No set system, just a d20 when skill challenges were needed, which, I think, were like 7 in the two hours that game ran. Everything else was everyone deciding on what they wanted to do, and me trying to improvise as best as I could. I mixed every other Night Shift story in there that I've read across /tg/, because I was afraid of it becoming boring to the players, as well as them providing an awesome story :D.
>>
>>47004993
Well dude, I must say you did a great job. It sounded like lots of fun! Here's to more adventures in the Stop N Gas in the future.
>>
I've been following Night Shift since it started
So glad /tg/ is getting shit done again
>>
>>47006297
As am I, my friend.

Night Shift will never die.
>>
gentle bump away from page 10
>>
File: 1400444328098.jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1400444328098.jpg
32 KB, 640x480
Oh shit OP, this is great! Come back soon with some kind of crowdfunding. I'm really glad to see this is actually happening
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.